Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Country Poll: United Kingdom [CLOSED]

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I've started putting all of the ballots into the spreadsheet. Nominations are still open until I post otherwise. :)
List of Participants in the OP is updated to where I'm up to so far. If you make any changes to your ballots from this point on, please post to let me know so that I don't miss anything. Thanks.

Here are a few ineligible titles that I found in ballots.
Lakigigar wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 11:27 pm 12. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Silga wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:03 am 9. The Ghost Writer (Roman Polanski, 2010)
I don't remember seeing this in your ballot before, sorry if I missed it earlier. The Ghost Writer is a French/German production, so not eligible for this poll. You've still got time to edit your list and post a replacement.
RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: December 4th, 2021, 4:22 pm 14. Gosford Park (2001)
This is an American production, so not eligible for this poll. Let me know if you want to add a replacement, or just go with 14 films.
pitchorneirda wrote: December 4th, 2021, 4:24 pm 1. A Clockwork Orange (1971, Stanley Kubrick)
2. Mademoiselle (1966, Tony Richardson)
3. Naked (1993, Mike Leigh)
4. We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011, Lynne Ramsay)
5. Blowup (1966, Michelangelo Antonioni)
6. The Tales of Hoffmann (1951, Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger)
7. The Wicker Man (1973, Robin Hardy)
8. Eyes Wide Shut (1999, Stanley Kubrick)
9. The Browning Version (1951, Anthony Asquith)
10. The Shining (1980, Stanley Kubrick)
11. The Favourite (2018, Yorgos Lanthimos)
12. A Prayer Before Dawn (2017, Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire)
13. Gasman (1998, Lynne Ramsay)
14. The Red Shoes (1948, Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger)
15. Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988, Terence Davies)
16. The Miners' Hymns (2010, Bill Morrison)
16. Match Point (2005, Woody Allen)
17. A Man for All Seasons (1966, Fred Zinnemann)

Work in progress, maybe it's time I'd watch some David Lean?

I'd need a ruling on The Favourite (Lanthimos), The Lobster (Lanthimos), Leviathan (Castaing-Taylor & Paravel) and Sleuth (Mankiewicz)
Don't forget to add your links. You can find the rulings for all your films in the second post. Also, you put #16 twice, so your list currently has 18 films, not 17.

Also, I dug a little deeper on Brooklyn, and I'm sticking with it being British.
"The project is being developed by producers Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey of London-based Wildgaze Films, who previously made “An Education.”

Novelist and screenwriter Nick Hornby, who wrote “An Education” and is also a non-exec director of Wildgaze, penned the adaptation of “Brooklyn,” with the backing of BBC Films. The novel was first published in 2009."

"John Crowley (“Intermission”) directs from Nick Hornby’s adaptation of Colm Toibin’s novel. Producers are Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey (“Quartet”)

The script was developed by BBC Films, and the co-producers are Parallel Films in Ireland and Item 7 in Canada."

"The 16 films in this section are world premieres, and are from the U.S. unless otherwise noted.

“Brooklyn” (U.K.) (Director: John Crowley, Screenwriter: Nick Hornby, based on the book by Colm Toibin) — 1950s Ireland: Eilis must confront a terrible dilemma — a heartbreaking choice between two men and two countries, between duty and true love. Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Domhnall Gleeson, Emory Cohen, Julie Walters, Jim Broadbent."
🧚‍♂️🦫
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:16 am This is an American production, so not eligible for this poll. Let me know if you want to add a replacement, or just go with 14 films.
I'll stick with 14 films.

I'll have 20 ready for France and Japan.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

jvv wrote: December 5th, 2021, 6:30 pm UNRANKED

The Prestige (2006)
The Ghost Writer (2010)
The Prestige is American, and The Ghost Writer is French, so both are ineligible. Please pick two replacements.
Melvelet wrote: December 9th, 2021, 3:23 pm I especially need a ruling on The Lobster and might kick Eyes Wide Shut out as matthewscott8 has a point

8 The Lobster 2015

runners-up
21 The Descent 2005
22 The Bridge on the River Kwai 1957
The Lobster is Irish, so not eligible. If I don't hear back from you, I'll just bump everything up and add The Descent to the end of your list.
perceval wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:55 am 12. Borderline (MacPherson)
I overlooked this one earlier, sorry. I have it as an American film in my spreadsheet, but imdb says it's British, and wikipedia says it's Swiss. Both list the same production company, which appears to have been formed by a trio of expats living in Switzerland (one American, one English, one Scottish). So I'm confused why imdb says the company is also British. Criterion calls it an American film, Library of Congress lists it as British, and Eye for Film says it was "[m]ade by a British crew and shot in Switzerland", though there is no crew listed in the credits on imdb so I cannot verify that. I'm inclined to consider this a Swiss film, unless someone else wants to weight in with more information? It's a convoluted one.
🧚‍♂️🦫
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:29 am
beasterne wrote: January 24th, 2022, 5:06 amHopefully The KIng’s Speech qualifies?
Yep. Never seen it considered anything but British, though it seems there was some US funding.
This is an interesting case in point for these discussions about the importance of producers. The Weinstein Company paid the bills here, Harvey Weinstein had final decision making authority on the movie, and was in regular contact with the film's main producer throughout the filming, Weinstein was also in contact with Colin Firth. Money also initially came from the European Union, without which the film may never have been made (the UK Film Council also claimed the film as a feather in their cap). I read several articles about the film's production this morning, and there were several stages of it, initial financing from Prescience was important before the Weinstein Company took over, pre-filming. A variety of individuals of various nationalities seem to have had an influence. One of the main reasons the film got made is the American market loves to see crap involving our royals. Whilst Kurosawa's movies appear to the untrained eye to be very Japanese, they were often based on western stories with the intention of satisfying an international market. In this light it's not really a film that I feel like claiming as national heritage, although I understand others reaching different conclusions. My main concern is that it does feel a bit like in some places an American producer's right to do anything to a movie is important, but not in others. There's also my initial queasiness that it's quite prescriptive to assign nationality to movies when the reality is that they live in an international funding system, and are often produced and directed by highly cosmopolitan individuals. Most times the credits role in the cinema these day, I see a bewildering number of logos in the financing section.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:16 am
pitchorneirda wrote: December 4th, 2021, 4:24 pm
Don't forget to add your links. You can find the rulings for all your films in the second post. Also, you put #16 twice, so your list currently has 18 films, not 17.
Thanks, list corrected and links added
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Silga

Post by Silga »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:16 am 9. The Ghost Writer (Roman Polanski, 2010)
Thanks, I edited my ballot.
Last edited by Silga on January 25th, 2022, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

For some reason, I had it in my head that this was running until the end of the month. I'm probably too late this evening (Irish time), but I'll post my choices (unranked) for posterity's sake.

The Open Road
The Lodger
Night Mail
The Lady Vanishes
Pygmalion

Henry V
Brief Encounter
A Matter of Life and Death
The Third Man
The Browning Version

The Lavender Hill Mob
The Elephant Will Never Forget
Night of the Demon
Peeping Tom
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

The Nanny
Repulsion
A Man For All Seasons
Get Carter
Comrades
Spoiler
Apologies for being off the ball here, Ferg. I don't expect you to go out of your way to count these.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Silga wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:13 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:16 am 9. The Ghost Writer (Roman Polanski, 2010)
Thanks, I edited my ballot.
Got it. Thanks :thumbsup:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:14 pm For some reason, I had it in my head that this was running until the end of the month. I'm probably too late this evening (Irish time), but I'll post my choices (unranked) for posterity's sake.

The Open Road
The Lodger
Night Mail
The Lady Vanishes
Pygmalion

Henry V
Brief Encounter
The Third Man
The Browning Version

The Lavender Hill Mob
Night of the Demon
Peeping Tom

The Nanny
Repulsion
A Man For All Seasons
Get Carter
Comrades
Spoiler
Apologies for being off the ball here, Ferg. I don't expect you to go out of your way to count these.

No problem, you're still on time. I'm only half way through verifying the ballots, and I want to give people time to make corrections after I post them here.
🧚‍♂️🦫
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Thanks, Ferg! You're really putting in the extra hours here.
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Gorro wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:10 am 7. The Pianist
20. Children of Men

Reserves
21. Seance on a Wet Afternoon
22. Atonement
The Pianist is a French production, and Children of Men is American, so I'll shift your list and add Seance and Atonement to the end.
cayado-coro wrote: December 24th, 2021, 3:35 pm Robin and Marian
United 93
These two films are American productions, thus ineligible for this poll. You may pick two replacements.
Panunzio wrote: December 26th, 2021, 12:58 pm 18. The Elephant Man (1980)
This is an American production, thus ineligible for this poll. You may pick a replacement.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Dolwphin wrote: December 27th, 2021, 7:49 pm 14. Borderline (MacPherson, 1930)
Is this crossed out because you weren't sure about eligibility? Based on my research thus far, I'm inclined to call this a Swiss production, so not eligible for this poll. You can pick a replacement, unless you have other information about it being British?
Rufus-T wrote: December 28th, 2021, 6:21 am 7. Tess (1979)
This is a French-British co-production, but mostly French, so not eligible for this poll. You can pick a replacement.
Jimi Antiloop wrote: December 31st, 2021, 1:16 am 1. The Hitchhiker’s Guide Through the Galaxy
10. The Good Night
I'd had Hitchhiker's 2005 movie as American, but it seems the producers hired a British company to make the film after it stalled, so it's eligible for this poll.
There's not a lot of information about The Good Night that I can find, but it seems to be mostly American based on what I can locate, so it's ineligible for this poll. You can pick a replacement.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:11 am Last minute, and off the top of my head:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Peeping Tom
3. Brief Encounter
4. Barry Lyndon
5. Watership Down
6. Black Narcissus
7. The Innocents
8. Lawrence of Arabia
9. The Snowman ('82 short)
10. The Red Shoes

11. In Bruges
12. Skyfall
13. The Favourite
14. Fish Tank
15. Sunset Song
16. The Bridge on the River Kwai
17. The 39 Steps
18. The Third Man
19. The Father
20. 1917
Please add the imdb URLs Will :)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 26th, 2022, 2:32 am
Rufus-T wrote: December 28th, 2021, 6:21 am 7. Tess (1979)
This is a French-British co-production, but mostly French, so not eligible for this poll. You can pick a replacement.
Thanks! Replaced. :thumbsup:
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 26th, 2022, 2:40 am Please add the imdb URLs Will :)
Ahh, of course! My mistake :$
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks Rufus.

And I've caught up on everything in this thread. If someone could double-check that I've got all the participants correctly listed in the OP, that would be greatly appreciated. People may still submit new ballots or updating existing ballots, but please post if you do to ensure I don't miss any changes you may make.

There are 7 ballots that need updating due to ineligible films. I'll try to wait for everyone, but I'd like to have the results up by Friday, if not sooner, so I can start to focus on the next poll (France). Once I have all the updates it should take me an hour or two to get the final list up.

I'm very pleased with the participation, discussion, and the many new discoveries for people in this thread. Thanks everyone!
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: January 26th, 2022, 2:58 am
Fergenaprido wrote: January 26th, 2022, 2:40 am Please add the imdb URLs Will :)
Ahh, of course! My mistake :$
Thanks Will. :thumbsup:
🧚‍♂️🦫
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 26th, 2022, 3:00 am Thanks Rufus.

And I've caught up on everything in this thread. If someone could double-check that I've got all the participants correctly listed in the OP, that would be greatly appreciated. People may still submit new ballots or updating existing ballots, but please post if you do to ensure I don't miss any changes you may make.

There are 7 ballots that need updating due to ineligible films. I'll try to wait for everyone, but I'd like to have the results up by Friday, if not sooner, so I can start to focus on the next poll (France). Once I have all the updates it should take me an hour or two to get the final list up.

I'm very pleased with the participation, discussion, and the many new discoveries for people in this thread. Thanks everyone!
I counted 55 participants. Same list as yours
Spoiler
Lakigigar
OldAle1
Silga
Perception de Ambiguity
Teproc
Fergenaprido
mightysparks
beavis
3eyes
peeptoad
RolandKirkSunglasses
pitchorneirda
Chilton
zzzorf
Mysterious Dude
Onderhond
jvv
gromit82
Mario Gaborović
joachimt
Gordon_Gekko
matthewscott8
Melvelet
filmbantha
TraverseTown
Caracortada
brokenface
perceval
Lonewolf2003
Minkin
gunnar
insomnius
AB537
Gorro
tommy_leazaq
beasterne
sol
cayado-coro
Panunzio
lineuphere
Opio
clemmetarey
Dolwphin
Rufus-T
Jimi Antiloop
ororama
St. Gloede
blocho
Smoover
Arkantos
Leopardi
zomgmouse
jal90
Good_Will_Harding
RogerTheMovieManiac88
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:14 pm For some reason, I had it in my head that this was running until the end of the month. I'm probably too late this evening (Irish time), but I'll post my choices (unranked) for posterity's sake.

The Open Road
The Lodger
Night Mail
The Lady Vanishes
Pygmalion

Henry V
Brief Encounter
The Third Man
The Browning Version

The Lavender Hill Mob
Night of the Demon
Peeping Tom

The Nanny
Repulsion
A Man For All Seasons
Get Carter
Comrades
Spoiler

Hi Roger, this is probably the most conventional list I've seen you post, not that there's anything wrong with that I was just surprised :woot: . It's great to see the love for Get Carter (l) (l) (l) . I have seen Henry V come up a few times now, and I watched it for the poll, would you agree with me that the movie is a pro-war movie with an unsympathetic main character, at least in Laurence Olivier's realisation. That was my main problem with it, although maybe I would have felt differently watching it in 1944 as civilization was being obliterated and bricks turned to rubble. My own list lacks a Shakespeare, which is a big flaw. I should have made more time to catch some more watches, or to have rewatched Olivier in Richard III. I would have liked to put the Coen Macbeth in but he ain't British.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

While I did not vote for The Open Road and do not have it as a favourite I am very happy to see it get attention here as it is such a beautiful and historically important film.

Night Mail and The Elephant Will Never Forget are two documentary shorts I have not seen and very interesting inclusions as well. Would it be a fair read that you are, besides adding a list of favourites also trying to show a nuanced picture of Britian over the years? Have you seen Drifters (1929) btw, I think you would really enjoy it.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Melvelet wrote: December 9th, 2021, 3:23 pm I especially need a ruling on The Lobster and might kick Eyes Wide Shut out as matthewscott8 has a point

1 2001: A Space Odyssey 1968
2 A Clockwork Orange 1971
3 Brazil 1985
4 Repulsion 1965
5 Under the Skin 2013
6 The Innocents 1961
7 The Servant 1963
8 The Shining 1980
9 Lawrence of Arabia 1962
10 Odd Man Out 1947
11 Brief Encounter 1945
12 Barry Lyndon 1975
13 Shame 2011
14 The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 1943
15 Peeping Tom 1960
16 Performance 1970
17 Monty Python and the Holy Grail 1975
18 The Signalman 1976
19 The Descent 2005
20 The Bridge on the River Kwai 1957

previously on my list, removed due to not being UK enough
8 The Lobster 2015
16 Eyes Wide Shut 1999

Spoiler
Updated my list (edited in original post)
ImageImage

Current focus: DtC nominees, Central Europe, 2000s
Last.fm | RYM
RogerTheMovieManiac88

matthewscott8 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 10:35 amHi Roger, this is probably the most conventional list I've seen you post, not that there's anything wrong with that I was just surprised :woot: . It's great to see the love for Get Carter (l) (l) (l) . I have seen Henry V come up a few times now, and I watched it for the poll, would you agree with me that the movie is a pro-war movie with an unsympathetic main character, at least in Laurence Olivier's realisation. That was my main problem with it, although maybe I would have felt differently watching it in 1944 as civilization was being obliterated and bricks turned to rubble. My own list lacks a Shakespeare, which is a big flaw. I should have made more time to catch some more watches, or to have rewatched Olivier in Richard III. I would have liked to put the Coen Macbeth in but he ain't British.
Oh, it is undoubtedly a flag-waver and a wartime harkening back to a historical triumph. What I think I was utterly entranced by was the staging that opens on the stage and then shifts to the exterior scenes. It is a very clever device that adds a depth to layers of performance, artifice and presentation, but also plays with time, as the audience are invited by the chorus to let their imaginations wander. We see proceedings through the eyes of an Elizabethan audience in the theatre and we see them as a film audience in the modern day. As England pulled through and conquered in the past, we are assured that it must too in the present day. It is an allegory on England's steadfastness and national will. And Olivier understands how to take Shakespeare and mould it so. I found it an immensely moving and stirring picture of destiny and belief. And the colour is sublime! I couldn't leave it out of my 20.

Conventional list, yes. Mostly faves seen long ago. Only 'Brief Encounter', 'Peeping Tom' and 'The Nanny' are viewings from the last year or two. I had to have a Seth Holt in there. He's been a big discovery for me and his film here is a macabre and unsettling slice of horror, yet ever so moving as well.
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on January 26th, 2022, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
RogerTheMovieManiac88

St. Gloede wrote: January 26th, 2022, 11:14 am While I did not vote for The Open Road and do not have it as a favourite I am very happy to see it get attention here as it is such a beautiful and historically important film.

Night Mail and The Elephant Will Never Forget are two documentary shorts I have not seen and very interesting inclusions as well. Would it be a fair read that you are, besides adding a list of favourites also trying to show a nuanced picture of Britain over the years? Have you seen Drifters (1929) btw, I think you would really enjoy it.
Oh, absolutely. All these are big, big favourites (rated at least 9/10), and I very much wanted to include a selection from across the years. I probably should have included something from Tait and Jarman, but I had to omit plenty of faves as it was. The GPO Unit is such an important outfit with 'Night Mail' as one of their greats. I also think Krish's work is extremely important and generally undervalued, so I gave my last spot to my favourite of his creations.

I haven't seen 'Drifters', but am looking forward to it.
That's all, folks!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Interesting approach for sure, and very much worthwhile.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Drifters!
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:16 am Also, I dug a little deeper on Brooklyn, and I'm sticking with it being British.
[url=https://variety.com/2012/film/news/roon ... 118053162/]"The project is being developed by producers Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey of London-based Wildgaze Films, who previously made “An Education.”
For interest's sake as I know you have made a decision already, I would point out that Finola is a very Irish first name, which lends the feeling to me that there is an Irish diaspora motivation behind the making of this flim... Anyways all I'm really trying to do is show that this stuff is pretty complicated.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Finola Dwyer's mother indeed emigrated to New Zealand in the 1950s. She herself then moved to London in the 1990s, after her husband got a job there. Her partner at Wildgaze is Amanda Posey, who is married to Nick Hornby.

It was initiated by their London-based company, but the story's focus and the prominent involvement of the Irish Film Board certainly allows me to regard it as a distinctively Irish film. I can understand it being assigned to the UK though, given the black-and-white nature of these polls.
That's all, folks!
cayado-coro

Post by cayado-coro »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 26th, 2022, 2:08 am
cayado-coro wrote: December 24th, 2021, 3:35 pm Robin and Marian
United 93
These two films are American productions, thus ineligible for this poll. You may pick two replacements.
Edited: Piccadilly Incident and The Queen instead of Robin and Marian and United 93.
perceval

Post by perceval »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:59 am
I overlooked this one earlier, sorry. I have it as an American film in my spreadsheet, but imdb says it's British, and wikipedia says it's Swiss. Both list the same production company, which appears to have been formed by a trio of expats living in Switzerland (one American, one English, one Scottish). So I'm confused why imdb says the company is also British. Criterion calls it an American film, Library of Congress lists it as British, and Eye for Film says it was "[m]ade by a British crew and shot in Switzerland", though there is no crew listed in the credits on imdb so I cannot verify that. I'm inclined to consider this a Swiss film, unless someone else wants to weight in with more information? It's a convoluted one.
I guess i vote for Seance on a wet afternoon in case Borderline is disqualified.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058557
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Rufus-T wrote: January 26th, 2022, 3:48 am
Fergenaprido wrote: January 26th, 2022, 3:00 am Thanks Rufus.

I counted 55 participants. Same list as yours
Spoiler
Lakigigar
OldAle1
Silga
Perception de Ambiguity
Teproc
Fergenaprido
mightysparks
beavis
3eyes
peeptoad
RolandKirkSunglasses
pitchorneirda
Chilton
zzzorf
Mysterious Dude
Onderhond
jvv
gromit82
Mario Gaborović
joachimt
Gordon_Gekko
matthewscott8
Melvelet
filmbantha
TraverseTown
Caracortada
brokenface
perceval
Lonewolf2003
Minkin
gunnar
insomnius
AB537
Gorro
tommy_leazaq
beasterne
sol
cayado-coro
Panunzio
lineuphere
Opio
clemmetarey
Dolwphin
Rufus-T
Jimi Antiloop
ororama
St. Gloede
blocho
Smoover
Arkantos
Leopardi
zomgmouse
jal90
Good_Will_Harding
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Thanks Rufus.
Melvelet wrote: January 26th, 2022, 11:18 am Updated my list (edited in original post)
cayado-coro wrote: January 26th, 2022, 7:13 pm Edited: Piccadilly Incident and The Queen instead of Robin and Marian and United 93.
Both updates all received. Thanks.
perceval wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:47 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:59 am
I guess i vote for Seance on a wet afternoon in case Borderline is disqualified.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058557
In Borderline's spot, or added at the end?
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

matthewscott8 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 2:36 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:16 am Also, I dug a little deeper on Brooklyn, and I'm sticking with it being British.
[url=https://variety.com/2012/film/news/roon ... 118053162/]"The project is being developed by producers Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey of London-based Wildgaze Films, who previously made “An Education.”
For interest's sake as I know you have made a decision already, I would point out that Finola is a very Irish first name, which lends the feeling to me that there is an Irish diaspora motivation behind the making of this flim... Anyways all I'm really trying to do is show that this stuff is pretty complicated.
I mean, sure, Finola Dwyer may be an Irish emigrant/of Irish descent, but that doesn't mean that her films are thus Irish. If that were the case, many of Atom Egoyan's films would be Armenian instead of Canadian.

You don't need to show this stuff if complicated; we already knew that. :P Evidence: all the discussions above, lol. If you want to help make things less complicated that would be better.

As a general comment, this project is meant to be fun, and I know I won't get everything perfect or correct all the time, but I'm hoping people will enjoy and participate nonetheless, and that it will motivate them to explore more cinema from all corners of the globe, especially once we start getting to the lesser-known countries.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Rufus-T wrote: December 28th, 2021, 6:21 am 1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
2. Blow-Up (1966)
3. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
4. A Night to Remember (1958)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
6. Barry Lyndon (1975)
7. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
8. Pygmalion (1938)
9. Gandhi (1982)
10. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
11. Brief Encounter (1945)
12. Hobson's Choice (1954)
13. Repulsion (1965)
14. Born Free (1966)
15. The King's Speech (2010)
16. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
17. Secrets & Lies (1996)
18. The Red Shoes (1948)
19. The Day of the Jackal (1973)
20. Get Carter (1971)
Spoiler
I made a last minute change to replace the replacement of Tess. This is my final list.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

I have always seen Borderline being categorized as UK, but it does actually seem to be a Swiss production. It is a shame, because that entry with the title crossed out looked awesome on my ballot.
Top 100 | Canon

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

ImageImage
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Dolwphin wrote: January 27th, 2022, 11:16 pm I have always seen Borderline being categorized as UK, but it does actually seem to be a Swiss production. It is a shame, because that entry with the title crossed out looked awesome on my ballot.
At this point, there's so little information out there, with conflicting information, that I'll leave it up to the two people who have it on their ballots to decide: UK or Switzerland?
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Okay, I think I've given enough time for changes.

POLL IS NOW CLOSED.

I'll have the results up tonight. I need to get ready for my nephews coming over for an unexpected babysitting session. Whee!

I've removed the ineligible films from the remaining three ballots (jvv, Jimi Antiloop, Panunzio), and I'm deeming Borderline to still be eligible, so perceval and Dolwphin don't need to change anything.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

matthewscott8 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 11:38 am
Fergenaprido wrote: January 16th, 2022, 10:38 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 1:02 pm 8. Red Riding (2009 - Julian Jarrold, James Marsh & Anand Tucker)
This is the first I've heard of this being a mini-series instead of a trilogy of films. I can't find much more about this, and the imdb entry you list is missing a lot of information (it doesn't even have any episodes included) and feels retroactive (considering it was created about 10 years after the initial release of the films, based on the ttid), instead of reflective of reality. Most of the source links in the wikipedia article are broken. Are you able to provide more context to this?
Reviewed in the Guardian television section and mentioned as being aired on successive Thursdays: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/200 ... n-channel4. The links on wikipedia are just dead because it was a long time ago now. Usually if people are talking about a series of films they've been aired in completely different years. These were all completed at the same time with the same cast, with a continuous story line. The premiere was on tv as confirmed here: https://www.alternateending.com/2009/10 ... ngdom.html

In my memory from the time I think part of the game was that they could be seen as films or tv. Whilst they're continuous and were released at the same time, each film could be watched without seeing the other 2 and you'd still walk away with something complete. So in a way they did this to confound you Ferg, it's an experiment, both TV miniseries and 3 films at the same time.
Someone's deleted the mini-series entry for Red Riding, so I've replaced it with the first movie/episode as a place holder https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259574/
🧚‍♂️🦫
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:04 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 11:38 am
Fergenaprido wrote: January 16th, 2022, 10:38 pm

This is the first I've heard of this being a mini-series instead of a trilogy of films. I can't find much more about this, and the imdb entry you list is missing a lot of information (it doesn't even have any episodes included) and feels retroactive (considering it was created about 10 years after the initial release of the films, based on the ttid), instead of reflective of reality. Most of the source links in the wikipedia article are broken. Are you able to provide more context to this?
Reviewed in the Guardian television section and mentioned as being aired on successive Thursdays: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/200 ... n-channel4. The links on wikipedia are just dead because it was a long time ago now. Usually if people are talking about a series of films they've been aired in completely different years. These were all completed at the same time with the same cast, with a continuous story line. The premiere was on tv as confirmed here: https://www.alternateending.com/2009/10 ... ngdom.html

In my memory from the time I think part of the game was that they could be seen as films or tv. Whilst they're continuous and were released at the same time, each film could be watched without seeing the other 2 and you'd still walk away with something complete. So in a way they did this to confound you Ferg, it's an experiment, both TV miniseries and 3 films at the same time.
Someone's deleted the mini-series entry for Red Riding, so I've replaced it with the first movie/episode as a place holder https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259574/
Very disappointed to hear it's gone. Was nominated for best mini-series at the BAFTAs so seems to be a bit of database vandalism going on. Currently working with IMDb support to see if I can get it added back. Harder to re-add something than delete it unfortunately.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

insomnius wrote: December 15th, 2021, 1:59 pm Unranked:
With all the double-checking in this thread, no one noticed.
Oh well. Mistakes happen. And the results were super damn clear anyway .. :)
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: January 29th, 2022, 7:41 pm
insomnius wrote: December 15th, 2021, 1:59 pm Unranked:
With all the double-checking in this thread, no one noticed.
Oh well. Mistakes happen. And the results were super damn clear anyway .. :)
Damn. Thanks for pointing it out Torgo. I'll recalculate the results and repost the list tomorrow. Shouldn't take too much time. My only confusion is that the way the spreadsheet was set up, it keeps changing the order of tied films, and I can't figure out why/what the order it... it's not by ttid, or year, or title. Maxwell, any insight there?
🧚‍♂️🦫
RogerTheMovieManiac88

My list was unranked as well. I didn't want to throw a spanner in the works but if you are going to re-tally things I may as well chime in.
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 30th, 2022, 1:21 am My list was unranked as well. I didn't want to throw a spanner in the works but if you are going to re-tally things I may as well chime in.
Dammit! lol

Okay, will fix yours too. Sorry Roger!
🧚‍♂️🦫