Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Post Your Photography

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

What a gorgeous couple shots!
blocho wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 2:43 pm Riverside Park, July 2021

Obviously a beautiful time of day here, but I also love the framing, with the various symmetries -- the trees themselves, the woman split between the two trees, the boy split between the one and the edge of the frame, the streetlight and cone tightly flanking the central tree, the waterline dividing the frame horizontally, and the obscured sun and its reflection bisected by the trunk dividing it vertically...very Naruse. The color tone would usually be a little warm for me, but it works nicely here. Do you control the white balance on your camera? This is actually the kind of shot I love to see in films, somehow the time element adds to the meditative, immersive effect of a gorgeous late afternoon.
blocho wrote: January 24th, 2022, 2:37 pm Fort Greene, March 2021

My favorite photo so far right here! From the technical side, the stark contrast of tones is perfectly balanced, the textures are exquisite -- peep those dual meshes of tree and fence, and the fur popping out against the matrix of metal, plastic, concrete, and gravel. But aside from that, it's just so evocative -- this big Beamer just out of reach behind a barbed-wire fence where the plebeians can't park, with the ambiguous figures of the huskies doubling as guards and prisoners. To me the virtue of photography is in crystalizing these kind of abstractly meaningful moments. Kind of reminds me of stuff from Robert Frank's Americans.

The Fort Greene Park one is up there for me too, gotta love those kind of spaces and I think you hit the nail on the head in capturing it.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

prodigalgodson wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:38 am Obviously a beautiful time of day here, but I also love the framing, with the various symmetries -- the trees themselves, the woman split between the two trees, the boy split between the one and the edge of the frame, the streetlight and cone tightly flanking the central tree, the waterline dividing the frame horizontally, and the obscured sun and its reflection bisected by the trunk dividing it vertically...very Naruse. The color tone would usually be a little warm for me, but it works nicely here. Do you control the white balance on your camera? This is actually the kind of shot I love to see in films, somehow the time element adds to the meditative, immersive effect of a gorgeous late afternoon.
Do you do still photography? I've seen your movies in this forum, so I know you know your way around a camera, but is that just for moving images or still as well? I just shoot with an iPhone, which doesn't give me control over white balance. You're right that I did bump the color tone a little in editing. Below you can see the edited version on the right and uncorrected version on the left. Is it too much? I often can't resist augmenting that late afternoon glow. I've just dipped my toes into editing in the past couple of months, and I'm still using some very, very basic tools. I suppose I'll eventually look into editing apps (Camera 2 and Lightroom have been recommended to me).

prodigalgodson wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:38 am My favorite photo so far right here! From the technical side, the stark contrast of tones is perfectly balanced, the textures are exquisite -- peep those dual meshes of tree and fence, and the fur popping out against the matrix of metal, plastic, concrete, and gravel. But aside from that, it's just so evocative -- this big Beamer just out of reach behind a barbed-wire fence where the plebeians can't park, with the ambiguous figures of the huskies doubling as guards and prisoners. To me the virtue of photography is in crystalizing these kind of abstractly meaningful moments. Kind of reminds me of stuff from Robert Frank's Americans.
A comparison to Naruse first and now Robert Frank! I'm genuinely blushing. There's a lot of serendipity in both the dog picture and the Riverside Park picture. Mostly, I just walk around and raise my camera at what catches my eye. My goals are always twofold: to walk and to take pictures, and as such I don't linger or work to set up shots. I trust instead that a high volume of pictures will yield a few keepers. I can tell you that for my walk in Riverside Park, I took about 40 pictures (it was an unusually brief walk for me), about half of which I deleted immediately, and only two of which I really liked. Here's an example of one I kept but didn't think was good enough for my "Photography Favorites" folder:

Certainly, in the Riverside Park picture, I didn't see all of those symmetries. I remember exactly what happened that led to that shot. I was looking at the young man on the park bench because he had his phone to his ear. I'm very intrigued by images of people in the busy city on their phones. There's some sociological frisson in the sense of being both alone and connected through a device, even as one is surrounded by a crowded cityscape. I certainly recognize that feeling in my own experience walking around and taking pictures. But then the woman and her baby wandered into view, and my main focus just became taking a picture of her while framing the sun between the trees. Everything else in the picture is a lucky accident really.

The same happened with the dogs. Almost no thought process there at all. I was walking along, suddenly realized that something on my right was moving, saw the dogs, and took a picture within five seconds. What really appealed to me was how the dogs were posed, like statues, but looking directly at me. Dogs have the wonderful characteristic of never having been told that it's rude to stare. They would make great street photographers. But everything else about that pictures just happened. It was only later that I recognized that the fence and the car had some iconographic meaning. Unfortunately, the sky is overexposed. That part of the pictures is totally washed out, but happily it's only a small chunk of the overall frame. And I kind of like how the reflection of the sky in the car window splits the car in two.
prodigalgodson wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:38 am The Fort Greene Park one is up there for me too, gotta love those kind of spaces and I think you hit the nail on the head in capturing it.
Which one is that? The one with the snowmen or the one in the playground? I assume you meant the playground, and yes those spaces are great to photograph, especially at night. I'm still figuring out how to shoot at night with my new iPhone 12 Pro. I was more comfortable with shooting at night with my old iPhone SE, which is another way of saying that it didn't give me many options. The iPhone 12 Pro, with its three lenses, gives me more options in terms of exposure. I'm still figuring out how best to use it, and I think you can see in the playground pictures that the trees are a bit overexposed. The iPhone SE made night pictures so atmospheric, and that's actually initially what made me decide to pursue this as a hobby.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fagradalsfjall Volcano, August 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

MetroTech Center, February 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Williamsburg, April 2021

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

blocho wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:33 am
Do you do still photography? I've seen your movies in this forum, so I know you know your way around a camera, but is that just for moving images or still as well? I just shoot with an iPhone, which doesn't give me control over white balance. You're right that I did bump the color tone a little in editing. Below you can see the edited version on the right and uncorrected version on the left. Is it too much? I often can't resist augmenting that late afternoon glow. I've just dipped my toes into editing in the past couple of months, and I'm still using some very, very basic tools. I suppose I'll eventually look into editing apps (Camera 2 and Lightroom have been recommended to me).

A comparison to Naruse first and now Robert Frank! I'm genuinely blushing. There's a lot of serendipity in both the dog picture and the Riverside Park picture. Mostly, I just walk around and raise my camera at what catches my eye. My goals are always twofold: to walk and to take pictures, and as such I don't linger or work to set up shots. I trust instead that a high volume of pictures will yield a few keepers. I can tell you that for my walk in Riverside Park, I took about 40 pictures (it was an unusually brief walk for me), about half of which I deleted immediately, and only two of which I really liked. Here's an example of one I kept but didn't think was good enough for my "Photography Favorites" folder:

Certainly, in the Riverside Park picture, I didn't see all of those symmetries. I remember exactly what happened that led to that shot. I was looking at the young man on the park bench because he had his phone to his ear. I'm very intrigued by images of people in the busy city on their phones. There's some sociological frisson in the sense of being both alone and connected through a device, even as one is surrounded by a crowded cityscape. I certainly recognize that feeling in my own experience walking around and taking pictures. But then the woman and her baby wandered into view, and my main focus just became taking a picture of her while framing the sun between the trees. Everything else in the picture is a lucky accident really.

The same happened with the dogs. Almost no thought process there at all. I was walking along, suddenly realized that something on my right was moving, saw the dogs, and took a picture within five seconds. What really appealed to me was how the dogs were posed, like statues, but looking directly at me. Dogs have the wonderful characteristic of never having been told that it's rude to stare. They would make great street photographers. But everything else about that pictures just happened. It was only later that I recognized that the fence and the car had some iconographic meaning. Unfortunately, the sky is overexposed. That part of the pictures is totally washed out, but happily it's only a small chunk of the overall frame. And I kind of like how the reflection of the sky in the car window splits the car in two.

Which one is that? The one with the snowmen or the one in the playground? I assume you meant the playground, and yes those spaces are great to photograph, especially at night. I'm still figuring out how to shoot at night with my new iPhone 12 Pro. I was more comfortable with shooting at night with my old iPhone SE, which is another way of saying that it didn't give me many options. The iPhone 12 Pro, with its three lenses, gives me more options in terms of exposure. I'm still figuring out how best to use it, and I think you can see in the playground pictures that the trees are a bit overexposed. The iPhone SE made night pictures so atmospheric, and that's actually initially what made me decide to pursue this as a hobby.
Sorry for the late reply! I've been trying to mete out my time on the forum now I have less free time.

I've never done any photography, but from time to time I consider it as something to try out. I don't have any formal training with cameras of any kind actually, just trial and error and studying the masters. Thanks for watching my projects, I appreciate the support! I didn't know anyone other than pda kept up lol.

I don't think the color correction's too much, since it looks more like how that time of day appears to the human eye.

Cool to hear about your process! Capturing those spontaneous moments organically is about the best feeling in the world imo.

Blown out works sometimes; I don't think that section of sky detracts from the effect of the shot, and lower exposure would've diluted that high-contrast effect.

Ah yeah, I meant the one in the playground. It's very fun and fulfilling figuring out how to best exploit the aesthetic parameters of a specific device.

:cheers:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Hofdi Lighthouse, August 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Brooklyn Bridge Park, February 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Brooklyn Heights, January 2022

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Union Square Station, November 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Manhattan, August 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Reynisfjara Beach, August 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Brooklyn Bridge, February 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fort Greene Park, June 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Gowanus, October 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fulton Ferry, February 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Reykjavik, August 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Gowanus Canal, December 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

The Moments before Impact, Fort Greene Park, February 2021

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

I have to say, blocho, the diversity within NYC that is represented in your photos is pretty impressive. Twice now I looked up locations that you shot and was surprised to find them within the greater NYC area. :thumbsup:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

peeptoad wrote: February 9th, 2022, 3:48 pm I have to say, blocho, the diversity within NYC that is represented in your photos is pretty impressive. Twice now I looked up locations that you shot and was surprised to find them within the greater NYC area. :thumbsup:
It's quite a cityscape: 8.5 million people and 470 square miles distributed across a complex archipelago, including marshes, ocean, harbor, parks, ports, skyscrapers, transport networks, etc. And it's worth noting that 80% of the pictures I've posted are only from North Brooklyn, which is a relatively small slice of the city.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Dumbo, April 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Clinton Hill, March 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Green-Wood Cemetery, December 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Hvolsvöllur, August 2021

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: December 31st, 2021, 2:30 pm Hudson River looking west to Jersey City, August 2021

hope you won't be pissed if I download this one for my wallpaper - no sharing without asking first, promise!

edit: really enjoying the thread. I don't have a decent camera any more, well, my phone cameras aren't very good since they're super low end and I'm not in the habit of carrying my point-and-shoot around with me though I might now that spring is here. I just lost interest in recording my life, oh, a couple decades ago since it all will be consigned the great digital waste bin in the ether once I'm done for. :mellow:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

xianjiro wrote: February 14th, 2022, 2:40 am
blocho wrote: December 31st, 2021, 2:30 pm Hudson River looking west to Jersey City, August 2021

hope you won't be pissed if I download this one for my wallpaper - no sharing without asking first, promise!

edit: really enjoying the thread. I don't have a decent camera any more, well, my phone cameras aren't very good since they're super low end and I'm not in the habit of carrying my point-and-shoot around with me though I might now that spring is here. I just lost interest in recording my life, oh, a couple decades ago since it all will be consigned the great digital waste bin in the ether once I'm done for. :mellow:
Not pissed at all. Honored, rather. And a fine indication that some efforts won't end up in the great digital waste bin once I'm done for. I should mention, though, that the photo above has a small flaw. Have you noticed it? An interior light is reflected off the window in the middle left of the picture -- it's the thin white line. I'll have to edit that out some day if I get access to photoshop.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: February 14th, 2022, 3:43 am
xianjiro wrote: February 14th, 2022, 2:40 am hope you won't be pissed if I download this one for my wallpaper - no sharing without asking first, promise!

Not pissed at all. Honored, rather. And a fine indication that some efforts won't end up in the great digital waste bin once I'm done for. I should mention, though, that the photo above has a small flaw. Have you noticed it? An interior light is reflected off the window in the middle left of the picture -- it's the thin white line. I'll have to edit that out some day if I get access to photoshop.
Yeah, I like the colors and a view that isn't of Manhattan. Both are what make the pic cool for me. I looked much more closely and only see a possible imperfection in the clouds that could be a reflection or a con-trail. I'd say it's in the upper middle third on the far left. Sunsets are great and this has a nice mixture of brighter colors (yellows) and darker colors. I saw another sunset in the Windows 10 lock screen wallpapers in the last couple of days that I liked, but wouldn't want on my desktop -- the brighter colors where probably the top two-thirds of the image and that was just too bright for my screen.

So while we're asking, would you mind if I shared the the photo of the two huskies on a closed dog-related forum I'm active on? If so, what attribution would you'd like. At minimum I'd say something like, "taken by a friend in New York who consented to sharing it with the Dog Park" (that's the name of the forum/community). I'd be happy to include a link or anything you'd like. If a link, I'd probably mention there aren't a lot of dog-related pix so someone would have reasonable expectations if they clicked.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Yes, by all means, feel free to share the dog picture, either as a copy or a link, and your suggested attribution is fine. I don't feel very proprietary about these images, but I appreciate you asking. I feel truly honored that others enjoy these pictures.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well, as a fellow artist, I believe strongly in attribution to the originator. It doesn't have to be a proprietary thing, but 1) every artist likes to know the work is being appreciated and 2) a sense of reach is also nice. Yes, some artists create for themselves and couldn't care less if anyone looks at it, let alone likes it. But that's a 'special breed.'
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Ocean Hill, December 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

John Street Park, February 2021

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Prospect Heights, March 2021

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Hope screenshots count ;)

I had a fantastic day today. I was off work and had to go out to the Thousand Oaks DMV (about halfway between LA and Santa Barbara) to renew my ambulance driver's license, and decided to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening driving, hiking, and filming in the northern Santa Monica Mountains, and was able to capture some of my favorite footage so far. I'd forgotten it was a full moon, and was just barely able to catch it rising. The 2 mile downhill hike back to the car in the dark with a dead flashlight battery wasn't ideal, but the camera made it through unscathed :D

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

prodigalgodson wrote: February 17th, 2022, 9:54 am Hope screenshots count ;)

I had a fantastic day today. I was off work and had to go out to the Thousand Oaks DMV (about halfway between LA and Santa Barbara) to renew my ambulance driver's license, and decided to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening driving, hiking, and filming in the northern Santa Monica Mountains, and was able to capture some of my favorite footage so far. I'd forgotten it was a full moon, and was just barely able to catch it rising. The 2 mile downhill hike back to the car in the dark with a dead flashlight battery wasn't ideal, but the camera made it through unscathed :D

Working hard on your upcoming film I see. Some nice shots of Indian burial grounds. Looks like we currently are in a reddish season on the American continent.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Perception de Ambiguity wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:19 am Working hard on your upcoming film I see. Some nice shots of Indian burial grounds. Looks like we currently are in a reddish season on the American continent.
Yes indeed, as much as I can! And thank you, those twilight cairns lend themselves to the mythic vibe nicely. I've also been experimenting with my patented sweaty lens cap technique, whereby I take off the cap for a shot, put it in my jeans pocket where my mid-hike body heat condenses the inside, replace it, hike to the next promising spot, then remove the lens cap and try to get framing and exposure down and start rolling before the fog evaporates from the lens; kind of an earthier facsimile of the old Hollywood vaseline-on-the-lens trick, but more dynamic cuz the effect dissolves in real time.

And yes, though the weather's been particularly unpredictable this season, in this part of this continent at least it has been a distinctly reddish dusk the last couple days. Surprisingly hazy today too considering it rained yesterday. I actually saw something I'd never seen before, looking eastbound right before sunset: the mountain I was on casting a blue shadow mid-air in the pink haze over the valley. I tried to get a shot, but the gradients were too subtle for my poor old camera to pick up, and the angle wasn't anything to write home about anyhow.

Cheers!
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

Well, sheesh, you could've stopped by and said hello! (I live a few miles from that DMV).

The Santa Monica Mountains have an endless wealth of astounding landscapes, but honestly - so does most all of Southern California (it still amazes me that a one hour drive from downtown (on a clear traffic day) can get you to federal wilderness areas at like 7,000ft elevation).

If you ever need hiking recommendations, then let me know - as we've been on quite a few in the LA area. Thousand Oaks itself has 200+ miles of trails just within the city, but there's plenty in the SMMNRA or the Angeles/Los Padres National Forests.

I'll stop myself before I try getting you to watch every Huell Howser episode.

But happy to see that someone else on here lives in the LA area. I'm sure there's others, but I don't know who offhand. We should all meetup and go to UCLA and watch whatever movie it was that you can only see at their archive.

Also

-blocho, I've really been enjoying seeing your photos each day on here - I rather like your view on the beauty of the hell we all live in.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I had a fantastic day today. I was off work and had to go out to the Thousand Oaks DMV (about halfway between LA and Santa Barbara) to renew my ambulance driver's license, and decided to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening driving, hiking, and filming in the northern Santa Monica Mountains, and was able to capture some of my favorite footage so far.
Great pics! I particularly like the third shot. I used to do some hiking in the Santa Monica mountains about a decade ago.

Also, Minkin, thanks for your kind words.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fort Greene Park, December 2020

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Or maybe the last one is better in black and white. What do people think?