Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Minkin wrote: January 24th, 2022, 12:50 pm I'm still up in the air about whether I want to pay for Pro, as the yearly recap stats sound interesting, but I'm not sure if its really something I need to pay for - just for it to tell me that I watch a lot of Larry Blamire. Do the stats apply retroactively - like can you see your stats for 2019, if you signed up for pro in 2022?
Yep.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

jal90

Post by jal90 »

Minkin wrote: January 24th, 2022, 12:50 pmI'm still up in the air about whether I want to pay for Pro, as the yearly recap stats sound interesting, but I'm not sure if its really something I need to pay for - just for it to tell me that I watch a lot of Larry Blamire. Do the stats apply retroactively - like can you see your stats for 2019, if you signed up for pro in 2022?
Stats are cool and as mightysparks says they are retroactive, but I personally think the best feature of Pro is the filter by streaming services.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

jal90 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:07 pm
Minkin wrote: January 24th, 2022, 12:50 pmI'm still up in the air about whether I want to pay for Pro, as the yearly recap stats sound interesting, but I'm not sure if its really something I need to pay for - just for it to tell me that I watch a lot of Larry Blamire. Do the stats apply retroactively - like can you see your stats for 2019, if you signed up for pro in 2022?
Stats are cool and as mightysparks says they are retroactive, but I personally think the best feature of Pro is the filter by streaming services.
I see this mentioned as a perk, but I'm not sure how exactly it works. I assume it is mostly for lists? I usually forget Letterboxd has a direct link to Justwatch, and I end up going there looking if a movie is streaming there. Actually, I take that back, I first Google search to see if its on Youtube/Dailymotion/etc, but then do Justwatch.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Letterboxd just uses Justwatch data, which can sometimes be out of date unfortunately.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

Minkin wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:39 pm
jal90 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:07 pm
I see this mentioned as a perk, but I'm not sure how exactly it works. I assume it is mostly for lists?
As a filter it works as well in for your watchlist or the database. You need to pick first the streaming services you use or plan to use in your profile, and when you navigate through any of these places a new tab called "Service" appears to filter films. You can choose "My services" to pick all of them or just one of them specifically.

But it also works as a direct link to the site in question. Below the poster in the film's page there is a section called "Where to watch" that includes a link to watch the film through any of the services of your choice. It looks like this (in my case for instance I have the Spanish version of Netflix selected):
example
The issue, as said above, is that it uses an external site, and it depends on how thoroughly updated that site is, so it has limitations. In this case it's JustWatch.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

One of the films Onderhond has been advertising for is on the brink of making it into the letterboxd top 250. Ritual... It only needs 500 ratings and it enters the letterboxd top 250!

https://letterboxd.com/film/ritual-2000/

Other unknown gems.

https://letterboxd.com/offensivename/li ... y/popular/

This one also almost making it, which is 24th in our top ICM <400 checks list and 22th on ICM favourites

https://letterboxd.com/film/pastoral-to ... e-country/
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Looks like a lb celeb GOT CANCELED and it's so fucking hilarious I thought it was a joke lol

Last edited by DareDaniel on February 14th, 2022, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Oh my, that was a drama filled review. Good grief!
🧚‍♂️🦫
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

DareDaniel wrote: February 13th, 2022, 8:57 pm Looks like an lb celeb GOT CANCELED and it's so fucking hilarious I thought it was a joke lol

Worst review of Paint Drying (2016) EVER.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Everybody uses Paint Drying for personal posts, but this one takes the cake. Massive cringe.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

kongs_speech wrote: February 13th, 2022, 11:25 pm Everybody uses Paint Drying for personal posts, but this one takes the cake. Massive cringe.
Oh, I didn’t realize that was a “thing”. Sounds lame. So much self-centered posturing on Letterboxd that I’m not privy to I guess, heh.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

I love the drama. I'd use a "smiley eating popcorn" emoticon but this forum doesn't have one for some reason :folded:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: February 13th, 2022, 11:37 pm
kongs_speech wrote: February 13th, 2022, 11:25 pm Everybody uses Paint Drying for personal posts, but this one takes the cake. Massive cringe.
Oh, I didn’t realize that was a “thing”. Sounds lame. So much self-centered posturing on Letterboxd that I’m not privy to I guess, heh.
I don't know, I use it pretty often when I want to deliver a message to my followers. It's better than wasting space on the page of an actual film that people regularly watch and review.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

TraverseTown wrote: February 13th, 2022, 11:44 pm I love the drama. I'd use a "smiley eating popcorn" emoticon but this forum doesn't have one for some reason :folded:
I prefer this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SillyEminentI ... mobile.mp4

(Sorry, though it was a gif, but it seems it's just a short video)
🧚‍♂️🦫
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

What the #$%@ is this new Similar Films feature and how the hell do I turn it off? :satstunned:

|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Yeah, it looks at their attempt at integrating "recommendations", based on some narrowly defined set of specific themes and subgenres.... which definitely not as useful as offering recommendations based on other users' interests.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

It says powered by https://nanocrowd.com/ so that's how they're generating the similarity. It's not available for every film, so there's some sort of threshold in place.

I don't see anywhere in the profile settings to toggle it off, though.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Why is that an issue, it's already quite low on the page and i like it. It won't be perfect, no algorhythm has nailed it, like ever. But i think it certainly adds some value.
GruesomeTwosome wrote: February 13th, 2022, 11:37 pm
Popularity
Peer pressure
Social pressure

I understand it, we all make mistakes. At least he acknowledges it. And you would be pretty naive to think there aren't many, with the way letterboxd rewards popular reviews or even meme-y reviews that gets so many likes. At the end, letterboxd is still a kind of social media.

And peer pressure is not just there for reviews but also for ratings and reviewing films and so on (indirectly perhaps, but it's there). I've stopped caring, but let me give you an example. Onderhond is through his years as a film enjoyer being criticized a lot for his "absurd ratings", even here and also on MM especially during earlier days. That's what I mean with peer pressure, feeling forced to like a film because people might look down on you or not take you seriously or not consider you a cinephile. Onderhond proves to you why it's a thing and why people do that. Onderhond doesn't care, but others maybe do (sometimes without knowing) as if you're no part of the "club".

___

Also, something I noticed... Letterboxd has added cats as actors and actresses

https://letterboxd.com/actor/bengu/

6 Cats from Kedi are added as actor or actress. I love it.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

sol wrote: February 25th, 2022, 2:27 pm What the #$%@ is this new Similar Films feature and how the hell do I turn it off? :satstunned:
You can use adblock to select the element you want to hide.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Thanks for the tip, though three weeks later I have gotten used to it. :unsure:
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Someone Uploaded an LB list for the "Fav Movies" poll so i tried to match it and create an IMDB or iCM list from it ...

It was ... painfull and potentially included wrong title ...

We're ok that there are no "extract" option on LB yet ?
I have found an Python scrapper but it don't extract the IMDB ttnumber or URL just LB URL ... Shouldn't be that difficult to modify maybe ... but i don't do python.

We need an master iMDB/TMDB/LB main rosetta stone list ;)
yllow

Post by yllow »

Letterboxd down for anyone else?
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

yllow wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 2:19 pm Letterboxd down for anyone else?
It is for me - got the Gremlins message
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
yllow

Post by yllow »

Same. Thanks for checking, good to not be alone on it!
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

Seems to be back now.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Minkin wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 4:44 pm Seems to be back now.
Not for me. Still doesn't work on either desktop or mobile.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

kongs_speech wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 4:54 pm
Minkin wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 4:44 pm Seems to be back now.
Not for me. Still doesn't work on either desktop or mobile.
OK I spoke too soon! Doesn't work for me again after working for a few minutes. :unsure:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Now Facebook Messenger is down too.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)