Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 27th), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Bugs

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

lolwat
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

The &#039 glitch

I never noticed this before, and maybe this has been mentioned already. But have you noticed that seemingly for every list with a title containing a possessive apostrophe, you'll see something like this at the bottom of the list's page?

You are here: Home Lists Library of Congress's National Film Registry
You are here: Home Lists TSPDT's 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films
You are here: Home Lists A.V. Club's The Best Movies of the 2000s
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Ebbywebby wrote: ↑January 14th, 2022, 9:53 pm The &#039 glitch

I never noticed this before, and maybe this has been mentioned already. But have you noticed that seemingly for every list with a title containing a possessive apostrophe, you'll see something like this at the bottom of the list's page?

You are here: Home Lists Library of Congress's National Film Registry
You are here: Home Lists TSPDT's 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films
You are here: Home Lists A.V. Club's The Best Movies of the 2000s
I've never noticed it before, no. I just checked and it doesn't appear on Beta, so I think that component is being deprecated.
πŸ§šβ€β™‚οΈπŸ¦«
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Pretty sure that has always been like that, definitely for a few years.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

I know this is more of a "complaint" than a bug but...

Why in Sam Hill are the search results, when making a list, draggable?! About every other time I add a movie to a list, I end up dragging the results instead of it adding to the list. Sure, the lists should be draggable, but not the search results - what purpose does that serve?

Then don't even get me started on the broken list making search results (like not having English titles). You'd think a website all about lists would have a halfway decent setup for making lists.

Is there any reason a film can't have more than one common English title? Like Medusa Against the Son of Hercules is aka "Perseus the Invincible"...

Movies matching "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" ...... shows up as search result #56. Search for "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man" - sixth result. God forbid you forget that wolf man is two words.

OMG, you can add a film more than once to a list..... whywhywhywhywhy....... I give up :facepalm:

I get it, 2.0 is just barely held together by some threads, programmed by one dude who has another life. I understand, but its also incredibly frustrating. Get some capital, get some investors, find a way to out-do Letterboxd, and give people a reason to use the website - not just scare them away cause "it won't let me check". Because I can't in good conscious recommend ICM to anyone over Letterboxd other than "it has OfFIcIAl liSTs". I love ICM, but I also sort of hate it.

Ok, end my "couldn't put together a list" rant.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I've never noticed that the results are also draggable... never encountered that before. Perhaps it's so that you can drag them from the search directly to the list? If so, that would be much easier than adding it to the bottom then having to drag it up up up to where it belongs. I'll have to try it.

As for AKAs, I recently discovered a few months ago that if you hover over the title in the search results it will give you the AKA. This has made figuring out the correct film faster than clicking on the imdb link, but I agree it's still not ideal.

Also, I've never been able to add a film more than once to a list... very curious how you managed to do that in your screenshot. Was that from dragging?
πŸ§šβ€β™‚οΈπŸ¦«
PeacefulAnarchy

Dragging search results is fantastically useful for putting the result in the middle of the list directly.

The search is kind of a mess, yeah. I forget about it because I tend to search by imdb id.
No idea how you got a film on the list multiple times, the site doesn't support that, nor does the interface. When you drag a film from the search it's supposed to no longer show up and if you search for a film already in the list it won't show up.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Sorry for your troubles Minkin, but I learned something that will probably be useful in the future. For that, may I offer my grateful thanks?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Minkin wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 2:26 am OMG, you can add a film more than once to a list..... whywhywhywhywhy....... I give up :facepalm:
Yes, you can - however, the system will pick it up and automatically delete any duplicates whenever you save the list.

And I have known about drag-and-drop search for ages. Now the secret is out. :$
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 5:18 am Dragging search results is fantastically useful for putting the result in the middle of the list directly.
I will be doing this from now on. No more scrolling through 500 titles to add a film to the top of a list when doing an update :sweat:
xianjiro wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 5:51 am Sorry for your troubles Minkin, but I learned something that will probably be useful in the future. For that, may I offer my grateful thanks?
Ditto.
πŸ§šβ€β™‚οΈπŸ¦«
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 5:18 am Dragging search results is fantastically useful for putting the result in the middle of the list directly.
I didn't realize this was possible either. Wow.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Didn’t know this either. Thanks for your rant, Minkin. Very useful!! 😊
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

sol wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 6:20 am
Minkin wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 2:26 am OMG, you can add a film more than once to a list..... whywhywhywhywhy....... I give up :facepalm:
Yes, you can - however, the system will pick it up and automatically delete any duplicates whenever you save the list.
Dunno why IMDB never had that feature, that's why I like making iCM lists more.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

TraverseTown wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 8:47 am
sol wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 6:20 am
Dunno why IMDB never had that feature, that's why I like making iCM lists more.
Listmaking that permits duplicates can be useful depending on what you are tracking. Way back in the day when I used to do fun stats for the challenges that I hosted, I would just add everyone's viewings to an IMDb list and at various points I could run through it and find out which films were being seen the most often without manually tally marking it.

That said, duplicate filters would probably be a good optional feature. Not that IMDb wants our feedback.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Amazed so many people were not aware of that function.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

I'm happy to find my rant ended up being useful to people!

Dragging the search results turns out to be rather useful after all - but still annoying when it clicks to drag instead of adding to the list - as the + hitbox is quite small and it happens every like 5th time, then I have to hope I noticed and then re-click again. But hey, it does have a useful function, so I subtract that complaint.

I suppose adding multiples to a list could be beneficial in certain circumstances - like in situations where "Meet the Wolf Man" doesn't show up in your search results, so you keep scrolling to look for it, thinking its just the search results being bad, but then it shows up anyway. It was just annoying in my particular list that I made (Svengoolie episodes) - because I kept coming across duplicates in the episode list, and I couldn't remember if I had added them already or not, so I just went and kept adding them when I saw them - so I ended up with a lot of duplicates which all went away once I saved the list. I suppose its a nice feature - just because the search is so broken. Ideally it would come up with a box saying "this movie is already on your list in the #18 position) - but idk how difficult that would be the code.

I still stand by my complaint of the search function - but that's such an "everyone knows its broken, just like the check button" - so I won't beat a dead horse.

On the weird and mysterious bugs:

My partner's account has simultaneously liked and disliked the movie the Oyster Princess (she intended it to be a like). And there's no way to fix it. She emailed Marijn or someone about it and they had no idea how to fix it, so it just remains a weird unsolvable fluke - where this one movie is both liked and disliked.

This is how it looks on her page for the movie (the like/dislike option is missing):

and this is how it looks on the dislike page

ICM can be rather weird at times.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
PeacefulAnarchy

I remember that bug, I thought someone had found a way to fix that with a script that made the buttons reappear. I'll search the forum see if I can find it.

Edit: I can find a couple of discussions about it but nothing about a fix, I did figure out a way I think you can fix it by manually editing some html, maybe I can make a quick script.
PeacefulAnarchy

Minkin wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 11:29 am On the weird and mysterious bugs:

My partner's account has simultaneously liked and disliked the movie the Oyster Princess (she intended it to be a like). And there's no way to fix it. She emailed Marijn or someone about it and they had no idea how to fix it, so it just remains a weird unsolvable fluke - where this one movie is both liked and disliked.
I can't figure out how to make it a script (I made the buttons appear but it broke other things in the page), but you can inspect element on the panel with the like/dislike buttons.
You'll see <li class="hidden">
replace with <li>

It'll make the button show up on the page, clicking it should work.

I did this in firefox, but the equivalent should work in other browsers. I don't have a film that is both faved and disliked so I'm not sure if clicking the button will fix it in that case, but I think it should.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 5:30 pm I can't figure out how to make it a script (I made the buttons appear but it broke other things in the page), but you can inspect element on the panel with the like/dislike buttons.
You'll see <li class="hidden">
replace with <li>

It'll make the button show up on the page, clicking it should work.

I did this in firefox, but the equivalent should work in other browsers. I don't have a film that is both faved and disliked so I'm not sure if clicking the button will fix it in that case, but I think it should.
Well shit, that finally fixed it! I had no idea inspect element could be used to actually edit the webpage, what a strange existence. Its been like that for about 11 years now, so I'm amazed that this actually was a fix that worked. I just hope my partner is now not disappointed, as it was kind of an in-joke between us, "that movie you both liked and disliked and broke ICM." Well thank you so much!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Minkin wrote: ↑January 23rd, 2022, 10:01 am Well shit, that finally fixed it! I had no idea inspect element could be used to actually edit the webpage
It can even get you past certain (but not) paywalls if you know what you're doing. Devs live & die by "inspect element".
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

The problem with importing Music Videos to iCM has been solved.
ICM-profile
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

joachimt wrote: ↑February 3rd, 2022, 5:50 pm The problem with importing Music Videos to iCM has been solved.
Thanks! I've been watching a ton periodically for the poll later this year so I'll have quite a bit of backlog to import.

EDIT: oh awesome, and I started getting the confirmation messages in my inbox when something successfully imports. That's really helpful.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I just imported something, but I didn't get a confirmation......
ICM-profile
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

I just imported and checked a film, but it says '0 checks'. If I uncheck it, it goes to '-1'. :shrug:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/tellurian+drama/
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I think Pulp Fiction is a flawless work of cinema. I have a quote from the film in my sig. I do love the Jimmie scene, but does "dead nigger storage" really need to be the quote of the day on ICM? This is not even the first time I've ever seen it as such. Now, I'm not a prude, nor am I the language police, but what kind of message does that send? There are dozens and dozens of great Pulp Fiction quotes that don't contain slurs. Definitely seems like a thing that might be more okay in Europe, but ICM should be mindful of the entire world of cinephiles.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

kong does have a point there
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I reported it.
ICM-profile
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

joachimt wrote: ↑February 27th, 2022, 6:41 pm I reported it.
:cheers:
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

The search function does not work at all.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

No problem here
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Had no troubles yesterday and it just worked for me now. Have you closed your browser, cleared site cookies, cache, things like that? I couldn't get the beta site to load a few days ago and it fixed it for me.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Searching wasn't working for me for a period yesterday either, but it was working again by evening.

You'd search for any title and it would just yield 0 results. And the "suggested titles" as you type weren't popping up either.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

While working on my data for viewtopic.php?t=5600, I tried to import my IMDb data into iCM and only seem to get "504 Gateway Time-out The server didn't respond in time."

Are others having issues importing their data? Granted, my file is fairly large at this stage, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or something else is at play. Wanted to check here before I report the problem on the official forum.

edit: I guess failing anything else, if someone would be willing to output my checks for me, I can try trouble shooting
mimurph1

Post by mimurph1 »

xianjiro wrote: ↑March 29th, 2022, 8:19 am Are others having issues importing their data? Granted, my file is fairly large at this stage, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or something else is at play. Wanted to check here before I report the problem on the official forum.
I've had this problem for the past 6-12 months. I routinely import my entire IMDB vote history just in case there's any checks I missed, but that file has over 18k rows. Sometime last Fall (I think?), I began getting the error you're getting now, but if I reduced that file to the 3000-4000 row range it seems to work fine. I just tried with a file that was around 2800 rows and it imported, but I haven't played with it enough to find where the breaking point is.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mimurph1 wrote: ↑March 29th, 2022, 11:19 am
xianjiro wrote: ↑March 29th, 2022, 8:19 am Are others having issues importing their data? Granted, my file is fairly large at this stage, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or something else is at play. Wanted to check here before I report the problem on the official forum.
I've had this problem for the past 6-12 months. I routinely import my entire IMDB vote history just in case there's any checks I missed, but that file has over 18k rows. Sometime last Fall (I think?), I began getting the error you're getting now, but if I reduced that file to the 3000-4000 row range it seems to work fine. I just tried with a file that was around 2800 rows and it imported, but I haven't played with it enough to find where the breaking point is.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it again but do it in chunks and see how that goes. I'm guessing either the files size has crossed some limit or the server response time before issuing that message is too short given the task and all.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Okay, so it's a size issue. Was able to import a much smaller file with no problem.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

The official-check counts are (all?) too low.

Here are stats for me and the five users ranking immediately above and below me. First is the tally displayed in the rankings, and second is the observable tally if you sort the person's checks by official lists and find the official/unofficial threshold.

elcid 6279 (official tally) β€”> 6284 (actual tally)
AguirreL912 6274 β€”> 6276
sol- 6263 β€”> 6268
moviefan55 6260 β€”> 6262
jajusu 6253 β€”> 6257
Ebbywebby 6239 --> 6243
Mark1978 6220 --> 6222
jozsika 6187 β€”> 6191
shakha 6159 β€”> 6162
John Milton 6128 β€”> 6135
Cronos 6110 β€”> 6116
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

11567 for 11532 written on the Oscar winner rank list for me....
We had that kind of delta before....
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

The problem has been there awhile...I first noticed it 15-20 official checks ago.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I still am credited with five official checks too few, and I presume countless others have a similar gap.