Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The TV Lounge

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

beasterne wrote: November 27th, 2021, 3:13 am How to With John Wilson Season 2 premieres tonight on HBO. Everyone should check this show out, it’s fantastic. Here’s a clip from the first season:

Did you see episode 2 of the new John Wilson season yet? One of the best so far I thought…really took some unexpected turns, haha.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: December 5th, 2021, 10:20 pm
beasterne wrote: November 27th, 2021, 3:13 am How to With John Wilson Season 2 premieres tonight on HBO. Everyone should check this show out, it’s fantastic. Here’s a clip from the first season:

Did you see episode 2 of the new John Wilson season yet? One of the best so far I thought…really took some unexpected turns, haha.
Yes, another good episode. I continue to be completely surprised by the people he finds to interview. I wish we had more backstory on the guy who was eating the Vietnam war rations.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Episode 4 of Season 2 of Succession might be the greatest tv episode I've seen

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

RIP Netflix's Cowboy Bebop.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

kongs_speech wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:02 pm RIP Netflix's Cowboy Bebop.
I think it's a pretty interesting "story", especially since the original is also just 1 season. Back then, people didn't talk about "cancelled" though, they just accepted that creators went on to do something new. It's funny that on the one hand, people like to complain about franchise domination, but then when a show stops after one season, it's suddenly a sign of bad quality or poor performance.

Which, in the current climate, is probably true (as studios sure love to milk IP). But audiences really play into that too.

Nothing to do with your post @kongs_speech, just that I've been following the tweets and articles today, and that's something that really stood out :)
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Finished recently:

SOuth Park - Post Covid - Funniest episode/movie in a long time. I need more adult Eric Cartman.

The Morning Show (Season 2) - Picks up after the #metoo events from the 1st season. It shows not only the importance of this movement but also the dumb side of this culture of judgment that we live in. It also shows how media covered the corona virus in the beginning. I like how this show adapts to what's going on in the real world, just like South Park.

Mr. Sunshine - With a total 24 episodes (1h20 each). this kdrama was a huge investment of time, but totally worth it. One of the most expensive kdramas ever. Hollywood cinematography, great writing and a perfect leading couple of well known korean actors. A series about protecting not only your country but the one you love. Learned a lot of Korean history, but sometimes the politics was just a bit too much, so I don't recommend it as a series to binge watch. My tears kept flowing at the ending, the feelings were just too much.
One of the highest rated kdramas on lb.

The End of the F***ing World - Binged both seasons in 2 or 3 days. Fucked up teens is so my thing, it reminded me a lot of Aku No Hana.

Starting Dr. Brain now and already know what to watch next:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Onderhond wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:10 pm
kongs_speech wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:02 pm RIP Netflix's Cowboy Bebop.
I think it's a pretty interesting "story", especially since the original is also just 1 season. Back then, people didn't talk about "cancelled" though, they just accepted that creators went on to do something new. It's funny that on the one hand, people like to complain about franchise domination, but then when a show stops after one season, it's suddenly a sign of bad quality or poor performance.

Which, in the current climate, is probably true (as studios sure love to milk IP). But audiences really play into that too.

Nothing to do with your post @kongs_speech, just that I've been following the tweets and articles today, and that's something that really stood out :)
The Netflix Cowboy Bebop ended on a cliffhanger, adapting half the story, with clear plans for a Season 2. The original had a complete ending after one season because Watanabe did not want the studio milking the show until it was dry after he left.

More news:

The Wheel of Time is still great. Yeah, I'm a nerd, sue me.

The Expanse is back! And the first episode was pretty intense.

Mr. Murder Snuggles

And, I don't know whether to post this here or on the Basketball thread, but good or bad, this is a must-see for me.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Adrien Brody as Pat Riley…didn’t see that casting coming, haha. I don’t like Adam McKay’s work very much but I’ll probably watch it as a b-ball fan and for John C. Reilly.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

DareDaniel wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm South Park - Post Covid - Funniest episode/movie in a long time. I need more adult Eric Cartman.
One quick question, do I have to see the two other Covid special episodes to fully get this? (Yep, I'm already properly familiar with South Park, although out of last 4 years loop or so .. :sweat: )
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:26 pm Adrien Brody as Pat Riley…didn’t see that casting coming, haha. I don’t like Adam McKay’s work very much but I’ll probably watch it as a b-ball fan and for John C. Reilly.
Just realized something after noticing the name similarity and doing some Googling. The actor playing Norm Nixon is his son, DeVaughn Nixon. Nice casting!

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Torgo wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:35 pm
DareDaniel wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm South Park - Post Covid - Funniest episode/movie in a long time. I need more adult Eric Cartman.
One quick question, do I have to see the two other Covid special episodes to fully get this? (Yep, I'm already properly familiar with South Park, although out of last 4 years loop or so .. :sweat: )
I haven't seen the second pandemic special, but you definitely need the first one for Post COVID. It refers to something Randy did in that special.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Alright, thanks for the hint :thumbsup:
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Been catching up on some new tv. Succession & Curb still great. Mare of Easttown, typically well done & gloomy HBO miniseries. Only Murders in the Building was nice escapist fare, am a Steve Martin fan from way back so good to see him again.

and definitely recommend Reservation Dogs, hits that sweet spot of deadpan, funny & likeable.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Anyone here seen Immoral Compass?
:ICM: :imdb:

I found it hilarious at times. Each episode are around 10 minutes long and includes a couple of skits. It can be found on Roku (I think).

Nsfw clip in spoilers:
Spoiler
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

I've been re-watching The Venture Bros because I had missed part of it and its cleverness with mocking superhero tropes was worth a re-watch.

I get to S6E6, where they have an Andy Warhol-themed supergroup and they send a threat that it is mostly just a really long static shot of a building where nothing happens and suddenly I get the reference to Empire. Thanks, you guys.
Owner of four platinum awards
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Yes i've rewatched season 1 of The End of the F**cking World. After watching Stalker, i felt a bit down and not really knowing what i wanted to watch. Today i'll get my booster vaccination, so probably going to be a less productive week since i got very ill from the last 2 injections. But the first season of The End of the F**cking World is for me personally still one of the best seasons of a TV series, on par with the first season of Prison Break and Squid Game.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I watched season 2, seems like the booster didn't completely make me ill like the last two times, and different timing might have enabled to watch this anyway. I love the series, i think it is one of my favourites, season 2 is perhaps not as vindicate as season 1 but it is still good, whereas usually there's less consistency in between seasons, so i guess this is my favourite tv series.

1. The End of the F**cking World
2. Too Old To Die Young
3. Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Squid Game (s01 so far)
5. Friends

Prison Break would be included but further seasons ruined it. Same for The Big Bang Theory actually (and i haven't seen everything yet). Vikings i'm waiting till i've finished it to decide whether i want to include it in a toplist or not, so far yes, but i'm afraid at the end it might not. Squid Game will have a sequel season, so it probably will fare the same fate as Prison Break, as the design of the series in terms of tension reminded me of Prison Break, and i feel like it is literally going to do the same thing as that one.

Consistency is important, and The End of... is the best in that regard, Too Old To Die Young has some episodes that are less memorable. Avatar The Last Airbender has annoying episodes in the first season, and actually improved a lot in the second and third season, turning out to be an absolutely great series. Friends is consistent (which is for a series that lasts 10 seasons and being a sitcom) an accomplishment, but it isn't of the same level as other things i've watched.

I probably need to watch more TV shows again. There's a lot i want to watch. For bigger series i probably need to finish Vikings, than watch La casa de Papel followed by Breaking Bad and also Sons of Anarchy. And after that HBO max will probably have launched here, but there are especially a lot more miniseries and smaller tv shows i want to give a shot.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Yellowstone is my new favourite show. I don't think I'll watch anything else before finishing all available seasons. 9/10

Cobra Kai S04 - One of my favourite tv shows currently airing.. it never disappoints me. 9/10
The Wheel of Time S01 - Has a lot of potential, but it needs to improve the writing. It's not amazon's biggest series as promised, that will be the new lord of the rings. 7/10
Sweet Tooth S01 - 7/10
Carnival Row S01 - 8/10
Happiness (kdrama) - 6/10
O Maidens in Your Savage Season (jdrama) - 6/10
The SIlent Sea (kdrama) - South Korea does its horror in space. A lot of elements from Alien and Aliens. The korean entertainment industry has developed so much in the last 10 years... 8/10
Hawkeye - Fun little series. 7/10
The Witcher S02 - I'm still not totally convinced with this series. I feel like i'm missing a lot of lore or something.. I think I just like Henry Cavill. at least it wasn't as confusing as the 1st season. 6/10
Dr. Brain (kdrama) - 7/10
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: November 26th, 2020, 7:08 am
beasterne wrote: November 26th, 2020, 6:44 am How To With John Wilson on HBO Max has been good, if very odd. John Wilson carries a camera around with him everywhere, filming all sorts of things in NYC, while narrating his thoughts on topics like making small talk or scaffolding. Off-beat, very funny at times, and surprisingly introspective.

Also Nathan Fielder is an executive producer which makes sense given the documentary feel with a weird balance between fact and fiction.
Cool, I’ve been thinking about checking this show out. The Nathan Fielder connection is always a plus, and I’ve heard from some fans of one of my favorite current series, Joe Pera Talks with You (more people need to watch that, btw), that they recommend this show.
Joe Pera Talks With You seasons 1 and 2 are streaming on HBO Max now in the US. I watched the first two episodes and really dug the vibe. Midwest town location, very strange characters, but still charming and wholesome from what I’ve seen. Looking forward to watching more!
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

beasterne wrote: January 13th, 2022, 7:12 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote: November 26th, 2020, 7:08 am
beasterne wrote: November 26th, 2020, 6:44 am How To With John Wilson on HBO Max has been good, if very odd. John Wilson carries a camera around with him everywhere, filming all sorts of things in NYC, while narrating his thoughts on topics like making small talk or scaffolding. Off-beat, very funny at times, and surprisingly introspective.

Also Nathan Fielder is an executive producer which makes sense given the documentary feel with a weird balance between fact and fiction.
Cool, I’ve been thinking about checking this show out. The Nathan Fielder connection is always a plus, and I’ve heard from some fans of one of my favorite current series, Joe Pera Talks with You (more people need to watch that, btw), that they recommend this show.
Joe Pera Talks With You seasons 1 and 2 are streaming on HBO Max now in the US. I watched the first two episodes and really dug the vibe. Midwest town location, very strange characters, but still charming and wholesome from what I’ve seen. Looking forward to watching more!
Very nice, glad that you’ve started to watch Joe Pera! The first two seasons have actually been on HBO Max for quite a while now, it’s the new 3rd season that was just added to HBO Max yesterday (it had aired on Adult Swim in the fall). But yeah, it’s such a relaxing yet strangely engaging show, I love the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) Michigan setting and low-key humor.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
sebby

Post by sebby »

I just finished S3 of Joe pera and it's very strong like the first two seasons. Existential malaise creeps in and crowds out a lot of the comedy but it all still works in much the same way the first few seasons did.

Last year's Relaxing Old Footage with Joe Pera is one of my favorite short films and the only covid special of any kind that i've enjoyed
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Looks insane!
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Joss Whedon pretty much buried himself with his recent interview with New York Magazine.

Some highlights (I left out things that were already covered last year because I think they were already discussed here?)
Whedon acknowledged he was not as “civilized” back then. “I was young,” he said. “I yelled, and sometimes you had to yell. This was a very young cast, and it was easy for everything to turn into a cocktail party.” He said he would never intentionally humiliate anyone. “If I am upsetting somebody, it will be a problem for me.” The costume designer who said he’d grabbed her arm? “I don’t believe that,” he said, shaking his head. “I know I would get angry, but I was never physical with people.” Had he made out with an actress on the floor of someone’s office? “That seems false. I don’t understand that story even a little bit.” He removed his glasses and rubbed his face. “I should run to the loo.” When he came back, he said the story didn’t make sense to him because he “lived in terror” of his affairs being discovered.
On our second day of interviews, I asked Whedon about his affairs on the set of Buffy. He looked worse than he had the day before. His eyes were faintly bloodshot. He hadn’t slept well. “I feel fucking terrible about them,” he said. When I pressed him on why, he noted “it messes up the power dynamic,” but he didn’t expand on that thought. Instead, he quickly added that he had felt he “had” to sleep with them, that he was “powerless” to resist. I laughed. “I’m not actually joking,” he said. He had been surrounded by beautiful young women — the sort of women who had ignored him when he was younger — and he feared if he didn’t have sex with them, he would “always regret it.”
Gadot didn’t care for Whedon’s style either. Last year, she told reporters Whedon “threatened” her and said he would make her “career miserable.” Whedon told me he did no such thing: “I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” He concluded she had misunderstood him. “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.”...

As for Whedon’s claim that he doesn’t threaten people, an actress on Angel told me that hadn’t been true back when she knew him. After her agent pushed for her to get a raise, she claims Whedon called her at home and said she was “never going to work for him, or 20th Century Fox, again.” Reading Gadot’s quote, she thought, “Wow, he’s still using that line.” (Whedon denied this too.)
Whedon says he cut down Cyborg’s role for two reasons. The story line “logically made no sense,” and he felt the acting was bad. None of the claims Fisher made in the media were “either true or merited discussing,” Whedon told me. He could think of only one way to explain Fisher’s motives. “We’re talking about a malevolent force,” he said. “We’re talking about a bad actor in both senses.”
A Firefly writer remembered him belittling a colleague for writing a script that wasn’t up to par. Instead of giving her notes privately, he called a meeting with the entire writing staff. “It was basically 90 minutes of vicious mockery,” the writer said. “Joss pretended to have a slide projector, and he read her dialogue out loud and pretended he was giving a lecture on terrible writing as he went through the ‘slides’ and made funny voices — funny for him. The guys were looking down at their pages, and this woman was fighting tears the entire time. I’ve had my share of shitty showrunners, but the intent to hurt — that’s the thing that stands out for me now.”
He considered the question. Perhaps he could have been calmer, more direct. But would that not have compromised the work? Maybe the problem was he’d been too nice, he said. He’d wanted people to love him, which meant when he was direct, people thought he was harsh. In any case, he’d decided he was done worrying about all that. People had been using “every weaponizable word of the modern era to make it seem like I was an abusive monster,” he said. “I think I’m one of the nicer showrunners that’s ever been.”
And his only response to Charisma Carpenter, in lieu of anything resembling an apology, is this:
"Most of my experiences with Charisma were delightful and charming," Whedon said. "She struggled sometimes with her lines, but nobody could hit a punch line harder than her.”
:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :shrug:

[full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of his shows, and more or less a fan of his writing style. But Jesus, what a douchebag.]

toromash

Post by toromash »

outdoorcats wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:43 pm Joss Whedon pretty much buried himself with his recent interview with New York Magazine.

Some highlights (I left out things that were already covered last year because I think they were already discussed here?)
Whedon acknowledged he was not as “civilized” back then. “I was young,” he said. “I yelled, and sometimes you had to yell. This was a very young cast, and it was easy for everything to turn into a cocktail party.” He said he would never intentionally humiliate anyone. “If I am upsetting somebody, it will be a problem for me.” The costume designer who said he’d grabbed her arm? “I don’t believe that,” he said, shaking his head. “I know I would get angry, but I was never physical with people.” Had he made out with an actress on the floor of someone’s office? “That seems false. I don’t understand that story even a little bit.” He removed his glasses and rubbed his face. “I should run to the loo.” When he came back, he said the story didn’t make sense to him because he “lived in terror” of his affairs being discovered.
On our second day of interviews, I asked Whedon about his affairs on the set of Buffy. He looked worse than he had the day before. His eyes were faintly bloodshot. He hadn’t slept well. “I feel fucking terrible about them,” he said. When I pressed him on why, he noted “it messes up the power dynamic,” but he didn’t expand on that thought. Instead, he quickly added that he had felt he “had” to sleep with them, that he was “powerless” to resist. I laughed. “I’m not actually joking,” he said. He had been surrounded by beautiful young women — the sort of women who had ignored him when he was younger — and he feared if he didn’t have sex with them, he would “always regret it.”
Gadot didn’t care for Whedon’s style either. Last year, she told reporters Whedon “threatened” her and said he would make her “career miserable.” Whedon told me he did no such thing: “I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” He concluded she had misunderstood him. “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.”...

As for Whedon’s claim that he doesn’t threaten people, an actress on Angel told me that hadn’t been true back when she knew him. After her agent pushed for her to get a raise, she claims Whedon called her at home and said she was “never going to work for him, or 20th Century Fox, again.” Reading Gadot’s quote, she thought, “Wow, he’s still using that line.” (Whedon denied this too.)
Whedon says he cut down Cyborg’s role for two reasons. The story line “logically made no sense,” and he felt the acting was bad. None of the claims Fisher made in the media were “either true or merited discussing,” Whedon told me. He could think of only one way to explain Fisher’s motives. “We’re talking about a malevolent force,” he said. “We’re talking about a bad actor in both senses.”
A Firefly writer remembered him belittling a colleague for writing a script that wasn’t up to par. Instead of giving her notes privately, he called a meeting with the entire writing staff. “It was basically 90 minutes of vicious mockery,” the writer said. “Joss pretended to have a slide projector, and he read her dialogue out loud and pretended he was giving a lecture on terrible writing as he went through the ‘slides’ and made funny voices — funny for him. The guys were looking down at their pages, and this woman was fighting tears the entire time. I’ve had my share of shitty showrunners, but the intent to hurt — that’s the thing that stands out for me now.”
He considered the question. Perhaps he could have been calmer, more direct. But would that not have compromised the work? Maybe the problem was he’d been too nice, he said. He’d wanted people to love him, which meant when he was direct, people thought he was harsh. In any case, he’d decided he was done worrying about all that. People had been using “every weaponizable word of the modern era to make it seem like I was an abusive monster,” he said. “I think I’m one of the nicer showrunners that’s ever been.”
And his only response to Charisma Carpenter, in lieu of anything resembling an apology, is this:
"Most of my experiences with Charisma were delightful and charming," Whedon said. "She struggled sometimes with her lines, but nobody could hit a punch line harder than her.”
:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :shrug:

[full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of his shows, and more or less a fan of his writing style. But Jesus, what a douchebag.]
True, but i think the one about sex with young women on Buffy makes sense. He would not get the chance, when he got older, and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think everyone has done that in those times (and still do today). They are just not being attacked in public, because they are no douchebags.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Thanks for posting that, I read it today and was going to do it myself but then got distracted. There was a story about it on NPR yesterday also, and it was mentioned that the author of the article was a fan of Whedon's work and - and I think this is a key statement - is not one of those people who's going to say "oh well all the good stuff in Buffy and Angel came from other people, it's not REALLY Joss's stuff". Whedon needs to take ownership of the person he is and has been - and he doesn't seem to be doing that yet - before he can have a chance to salvage his career and gain back the respect of some of his audience, and it's unlikely that will happen, if the past is any indication (not just his past but the long line of creator/assholes through history). But we as fans - and I'm also a huge fan - also have to reckon with this, as we do for every artist who turns out to be a less-than-admirable person, and I think whitewashing the work just doesn't cut it - not in this case. I've seen the entire series of Buffy at least 4x and it's pretty clear to me that he's the major voice behind the show, and while I love the show as much as ever I certainly can see the dark side creeping through here and there.

They're not saints, none of 'em. J.K. Rowling isn't, George Lucas isn't, Tolkien wasn't, H.G. Wells sure as hell wasn't...none of the people I've connected with who made a big impact on popular culture deserve my idolization, or anybody's. Probably true for most public figures that most people love, unless one has been really lucky in their choices. But I loved H.G. Wells before I knew how anti-Semitic he was, I loved Harry Potter and didn't suspect it's authors transphobia, and I can't go back and change the feelings I had when I first experienced their work, and I see the business of throwing away everybody that we know to be a crappy person kind of...pointless, in the end. Because probably most of our favorites are crappy people when we get down to it, or at least very disappointing in some ways. I mean, my own family members and most of my friends disappointed me at some point in time, and I've disappointed them. I have an uncle who was recently in jail for a somewhat serious crime (which he did commit and admitted to); I still think he's mostly a cool guy. 50+ years of admiration aren't going to go down the tube because of his human imperfection.

Of course there are some people who are irredeemable, but I'm really not sure where to draw the line, and every time something like this comes up it simply makes matters more uncertain to me, not less.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:40 am none of the people I've connected with who made a big impact on popular culture deserve my idolization, or anybody's. Probably true for most public figures that most people love, unless one has been really lucky in their choices.
Oh I've never heard a single bad thing about NOLAN! He really seems impeccable.
Change my mind.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:50 am
OldAle1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:40 am none of the people I've connected with who made a big impact on popular culture deserve my idolization, or anybody's. Probably true for most public figures that most people love, unless one has been really lucky in their choices.
Oh I've never heard a single bad thing about NOLAN! He really seems impeccable.
Change my mind.
Well he goes without saying...

But sure there are probably a few truly admirable human beings out there who've happened to be great creators. Is there anything negative to say about Agnès Varda? Many of her New Wave contemporaries were chauvinist pigs so they're right out.

It'd be nice if we could all agree on some sort of scale; maybe Harvey Weinstein is the worst (as far as current-day people involved with film/the arts that is), so he's a "1", and maybe Aziz Ansari is a 9 for being a jerk on a date and getting it reported, and Whedon is, say, a 5-6, and Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are somewhere between 2 and 4. And our theoretically perfectly admirable person is a 10. And then we could have a "low-rated humans" poll where we rank out favorite works by reprehensible filmmakers and actors and...

jeez just typing that made me feel ill.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

OldAle1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:40 am Thanks for posting that, I read it today and was going to do it myself but then got distracted. There was a story about it on NPR yesterday also, and it was mentioned that the author of the article was a fan of Whedon's work and - and I think this is a key statement - is not one of those people who's going to say "oh well all the good stuff in Buffy and Angel came from other people, it's not REALLY Joss's stuff". Whedon needs to take ownership of the person he is and has been - and he doesn't seem to be doing that yet - before he can have a chance to salvage his career and gain back the respect of some of his audience, and it's unlikely that will happen, if the past is any indication (not just his past but the long line of creator/assholes through history). But we as fans - and I'm also a huge fan - also have to reckon with this, as we do for every artist who turns out to be a less-than-admirable person, and I think whitewashing the work just doesn't cut it - not in this case. I've seen the entire series of Buffy at least 4x and it's pretty clear to me that he's the major voice behind the show, and while I love the show as much as ever I certainly can see the dark side creeping through here and there.

They're not saints, none of 'em. J.K. Rowling isn't, George Lucas isn't, Tolkien wasn't, H.G. Wells sure as hell wasn't...none of the people I've connected with who made a big impact on popular culture deserve my idolization, or anybody's. Probably true for most public figures that most people love, unless one has been really lucky in their choices. But I loved H.G. Wells before I knew how anti-Semitic he was, I loved Harry Potter and didn't suspect it's authors transphobia, and I can't go back and change the feelings I had when I first experienced their work, and I see the business of throwing away everybody that we know to be a crappy person kind of...pointless, in the end. Because probably most of our favorites are crappy people when we get down to it, or at least very disappointing in some ways. I mean, my own family members and most of my friends disappointed me at some point in time, and I've disappointed them. I have an uncle who was recently in jail for a somewhat serious crime (which he did commit and admitted to); I still think he's mostly a cool guy. 50+ years of admiration aren't going to go down the tube because of his human imperfection.

Of course there are some people who are irredeemable, but I'm really not sure where to draw the line, and every time something like this comes up it simply makes matters more uncertain to me, not less.
Yeah, it's interesting to re-view his work through the lens of seeing what kind of person he is. Dollhouse in particular becomes much more disturbing, along with certain Buffy episodes. I still think most of his work is good enough that it stands on its own and isn't brought down by his douchebaggery.

To be fair, his regular collaborators were a big part of his shows, though. Angel and Firefly had different day-to-day showrunners (I think David Greenwalt and later Jeffrey Bell on Angel, Tim Minear on Firefly IIRC?) and all of his shows had small cadres of regular writers who stayed on throughout (Jane Espenson, Marti Noxon, and Sarah Craft & Elizabeth Fain are names I remember) and clearly helped shape those shows. You can see Whedon's stamp on all of his shows, of course. But given how much he re-used the same writers, it could be hard to parse out what's really his stamp and what's theirs. Just some rambling thoughts.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 1:00 am Is there anything negative to say about Agnès Varda?
There certainly is! One time, we were at dinner together, and I asked Agnes to pass me the salt, but she passed me the pepper instead. How uncouth!

OK, that story isn't true. But I do have a true story about Woody Allen, or at least it's true that I heard it from a friend who experienced it first hand. Whether he's telling the truth, I can't say. The story is that he walked into an elevator once in which Woody Allen was already standing. They live in the same neighborhood, so it's not so unusual. My friend was carrying something that he couldn't easily put down, so he asked Allen if he would press the button for my friend's floor. And Woody said, "Do I look like a servant?" and refused to push the button.

I don't know why, but I really like that story.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Finished season 3 of Yellowstone. Easily one of my favourite tv shows now, but has Kevin Costner said or done in the past that I can pretend to be mad about to catch some likes on twitter?
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

How did I not know the trailer (and a release date within 2 months) for this was out for 3 weeks? :shrug: Are the collective TV journalists of the world and the Youtube algorithm really going to completely sleep on the next David Simon show, and his first returning to Baltimore (with a number of cast members from The Wire to boot)?

April 25. :circle:

Speaking of great TV returning this month, Better Call Saul's final season debuts in 8 days, and Barry finally returns on April 24. In Better Call Saul's case, it looks like we're only getting 7 episodes this year, then another 7-8 next year? Similar to how they split up the last season of Breaking Bad or The Sopranos.

Attack on Titan beats them both, ending another set of episodes with an announcement that the final batch, "Season 4, Part 3" will air next year. I'm not mad at them. It sounds like the animators are brutally overworked as it is. These situations do kind of beg the question as to what exactly defines a "season," if there are year+ breaks between episodes. :shrug: Attack on Titan is still fantastic by the way.

lynchs

Post by lynchs »

Found a 'new' very good! called 'Patriot', only saw the first season.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

WTF I just found out about We Own This City from you too :( this is huge news.

Tokyo Vice was the perfect example of how important directing and style is. The first episode was directed by Michael Mann, who is one of the most brilliant directors to me stylistically. His style complimented the plot so well. I was just awe struck by it. The other 2 episodes were directed by something else, and it already just comes across as stale in comparison. With noirs they were always heavy in style, so seeing a plain directing style like that just made the rest of it unmemorable.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Yeah I watched the first, Michael Mann-directed episode of Tokyo Vice and his touch is very evident. I haven’t gotten to the next couple of available episodes yet. I see that Destin Daniel Cretton directed the rest of them. I’ve only seen Short Term 12 and Just Mercy from him, and he doesn’t seem to have much of a distinct style (visually) from what I could tell…certainly doesn’t seem to be a great fit for following up on Michael Mann in something like this. But I’ll stick with it and see.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Anyone familiar with The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse?
Saw the Spring episode appear on Disney+ and figured it might be something for my girlfriend, but we watched it today and it's pretty crazy? It's almost classic Mickey mixed with Ren & Stimpy? Not sure what they've been sniffing over there, but this is one of the best things I've seen them do ... ever, I guess.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

For anyone who may have missed it, I'll just leave the Simpsons Balenciaga advertisement (from last autumn) here. Make of it what you will.

DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

This is so spot on :lol:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

It's a funny vid. I don't know Piers Morgan, I agree with quite a bit of what he said ... I also feel like the first factual example he'll give I'll disagree with :D
sebby

Post by sebby »

Is Piers Morgan legitimately mentally retarded or was that satire? Anyway daniel, once again it seems your GPS is broken. Take this hideous agenda of yours to the political forum.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

This is the TV Lounge. That's like asking to post american idol episodes on music related topics only unless there's a rule not to post non-fiction shows which I didn't see. What's next, we can't discuss South Park?

And the word "retarded" is actually very offensive. Take a deep breath, drink a glass of water and think about you just said.