Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Forum's Favorite Low Rated Movies: Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
1SO

Post by 1SO »

zzzorf wrote: January 17th, 2022, 5:36 am I doubt anyone is, but if anyone is following my list...
I'm looking through everyone's lists and finding titles I didn't consider that might benefit from my support.

There are TWO titles I've seen on many submissions. They seem so much like the locks for the top that I removed them from my lists to see how results fall without my support.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ah, strategical non-voting .. :P
Silga

Post by Silga »

I'm pleasantly surprised with numerous votes for Vox Lux. One of my favorite films of the 2010s.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

1SO wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:07 pm
zzzorf wrote: January 17th, 2022, 5:36 am I doubt anyone is, but if anyone is following my list...
I'm looking through everyone's lists and finding titles I didn't consider that might benefit from my support.

There are TWO titles I've seen on many submissions. They seem so much like the locks for the top that I removed them from my lists to see how results fall without my support.
I'd say there are three. One of them is on my list, the other two I dislike - intensely. I'm sure those two will be #s 1 & 2, my pick will probably be top 5, certainly top 10. But I'm pleased to see several other favorites of mine that are on multiple lists, so even if I end up disliking a few at or near the top I think it will be a somewhat interesting exercise, with some odd overlaps between otherwise dissimilar tastes.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Spoiler
Gretel & Hansel (2020 - Oz Perkins)

There is dark magick here. Utterly superb refashioning of the Hansel and Gretel story with a feminist take. When Jessica De Gouw puts in her appearance, it's like mainlining insanity.
Last edited by matthewscott8 on January 19th, 2022, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Silga wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:41 pm I'm pleasantly surprised with numerous votes for Vox Lux. One of my favorite films of the 2010s.
Soundtrack is still in my rotation.
Silga

Post by Silga »

TraverseTown wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:05 pm
Silga wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:41 pm I'm pleasantly surprised with numerous votes for Vox Lux. One of my favorite films of the 2010s.
Soundtrack is still in my rotation.
Same here. Sia did a great job!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf, I just noticed one of my films went from a 5.9 to a 6.0 rating. Will you be automatically excluding films when you run the script, or should we doublechecked these things right before the deadline and remove them ourselves?
🧚‍♂️🦫
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

matthewscott8 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:55 pm
Spoiler
Gretel & Hansel (2020 - Oz Perkins)

There is dark magick here. Utterly superb refashioning of the Hansel and Gretel story with a feminist take. When Jessica De Gouw puts in her appearance, it's like mainlining insanity.
:)

I'm hearing good things about this. Seems to combine two of the strongest reasons films will perform badly on IMDb: 1. Horror genre 2. Marketed to the wrong audience and I guess very much it's a rather arty thing, more than, say, Insidious Part 9 or Scream, huh?

It's crazy tough for a horror film to stay over 7.0 on IMDb, generally. Especially if it will be too boring for a certain audience that decides to "watch a random horror movie".
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Vampire Journals (1997 - Ted Nicolau)

10/10 rated by PdA, I was not actually able to be so forgiving! That said there are some very good elements to this movie, it is set in a decaying Bratislava, which is an absolutely 10/10 location choice for a vampire movie. It also does some very interesting things with vampire lore, this is 100% a movie about vampires rather than a vampire movie being the camouflage / vehicle for some other sentiments, so would be of interest to purists. Some of the special effects are very beautiful indeed. Whilst I acknowledge that some of this love of low rated movies is about being made so giddy by the highs that you see past or even optimistically reinterpret the lows, I wasn't able to get there with this one. The acting really is very bad, albeit one could if one was being very generous say that the vampires' idiom is so weird / simpeltony, simply because they have been alive for so long and don't move with the times, but I think it is just that the person responsible for dialogue was not a strong writer. Worse, the plot by the end just starts stumbling about and falling all over itself.

It's important for me to say that this is, for me, the very definition of a cult movie, the overall rating is very low on IMDb, but 12.3% of viewers gave it 10/10. I haven't been able to join the cult, but I did enjoy watching this late at night, particularly as a double bill with Gretel & Hansel.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:54 pm Lonewolf, I just noticed one of my films went from a 5.9 to a 6.0 rating. Will you be automatically excluding films when you run the script, or should we doublechecked these things right before the deadline and remove them ourselves?
I will, of course, auto exclude all movies that are above 5.9 at the deadline.

But doublechecking and removing them yourself, of course, doesn't hurt.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

matthewscott8 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 8:45 am Image

Vampire Journals (1997 - Ted Nicolau)

10/10 rated by PdA, I was not actually able to be so forgiving! That said there are some very good elements to this movie, it is set in a decaying Bratislava, which is an absolutely 10/10 location choice for a vampire movie. It also does some very interesting things with vampire lore, this is 100% a movie about vampires rather than a vampire movie being the camouflage / vehicle for some other sentiments, so would be of interest to purists. Some of the special effects are very beautiful indeed. Whilst I acknowledge that some of this love of low rated movies is about being made so giddy by the highs that you see past or even optimistically reinterpret the lows, I wasn't able to get there with this one. The acting really is very bad, albeit one could if one was being very generous say that the vampires' idiom is so weird / simpeltony, simply because they have been alive for so long and don't move with the times, but I think it is just that the person responsible for dialogue was not a strong writer. Worse, the plot by the end just starts stumbling about and falling all over itself.

It's important for me to say that this is, for me, the very definition of a cult movie, the overall rating is very low on IMDb, but 12.3% of viewers gave it 10/10. I haven't been able to join the cult, but I did enjoy watching this late at night, particularly as a double bill with Gretel & Hansel.
Well, thanks for watching. This is about the last film that I would have recommended to you, discounting ideologically more obviously problematic films. For me there was nothing I had to forgive about it. I first saw it at the height of my fascination with vampires, or maybe it even was the one that was largely responsible for stirring that fascination in the first place, and as you said, it's a vampire film through and through, they aren't mere monsters or mere villains, they are people. Stand-ins for those who feel disenfranchised and who as a consequence have voluntarily adapted the identity of the Other. People who initially were forced into their roles in some sense, but then created their own playground outside of visible society and found their own identity within it. Stand-ins for goths, essentially.

There aren't very many vampire films of that sort, let alone in the mainstream. Compared to most that do exist this one does, I think, stand out as extraordinarily classy and restrained. And it's not an action movie, it's not a crime mystery, nor does it care to work as a horror film in a conventional sense. It's a drama with romantic elements, you might even say it's a soap opera. I've watched it many times and sometimes I perceived weaknesses in it but never so much that it ruined the film for me or that I wouldn't still be quite into the experience of watching it. Once I even made my mother watch it - she doesn't really speak English and there weren't even as much as German subtitles around, so I translated the whole film for her - and watching the film through her eyes it did seem a bit more silly than usual.

'Interview with the Vampire' is obviously the more let's say well-rounded film with a much broader appeal but I've always loved that film more in my memory, when watching it I always felt a lack of something that left me dissatisfied like an unkept promise. And I've seen other Ted Nicolaou films in the wake of this film, including the whole 'Subspecies' series of which 'Vampire Journals' is a spin-off (those are the typical Nosferatu and Count Dracula-like vampire movies), this guy is no genius. But with 'Vampire Journals' the filmmaking team struck gold and I found that void filled.

Somehow I loved its aesthetic, its particular color palette, the quality of its light (the constant fog, in exteriors and interiors), I can't pinpoint why, but it hit a spot for me. Perhaps it subconsciously creates the impression that its world isn't so much one of matter that is illuminated by a light that emits from somewhere, but rather it's the matter and the beings themselves that radiate light onto a world that itself is cold and dead. Like the glimmer in the characters' eyes, whatever life and light there is in their world comes from within themselves.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Updated the OP. Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly

41 lists already! Great to see so much interest in this.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

OldAle1 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:47 pm
1SO wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:07 pm

I'd say there are three. One of them is on my list, the other two I dislike - intensely. I'm sure those two will be #s 1 & 2, my pick will probably be top 5, certainly top 10. But I'm pleased to see several other favorites of mine that are on multiple lists, so even if I end up disliking a few at or near the top I think it will be a somewhat interesting exercise, with some odd overlaps between otherwise dissimilar tastes.
this is my 2009 poll experience, my 2 least favourite films placed #1 and #2.
early guess at which films win the poll
Although I did enjoy Spring Breakers, Salo is the worst film I have ever seen and may win the poll. I just read a whole page of reviews of the movie and noone spared a thought for the wellbeing of the actors Pasolini used. You're hoping to see Zardoz in the top 10? Nestling amongst the Oz Perkins films, all hope for film appreciation is not lost.
Last edited by matthewscott8 on January 19th, 2022, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I saw a La vie d'Adèle-like Japanese film that was kinda controversial and so didn't get 6/10. I'm quite confused to why La vie d'Adèle is rated 7,7 on IMDb while Ride or Die is rated 5,5, probably because a lot of people haven't seen the film and part of the (gen Z) LGBTQ community which saw it was offended and than went on to say that men shouldn't direct woman loving woman films.

On a similar note, La vie d'Adèle is offensive for lots of people too, which I do understand esp. concerning Kechiche is now a suspect in abusing actresses and also several actresses he worked with were forced to do things they didn't want to do, but this is not the case for Ride or Die from what i've read. In La vie d'Adèle i felt like the sex scenes were out of proportion and they gave me an uncomfortable feeling (and that was without knowing the stories / accusations of director Kechiche) at the time. That is not the case for Ride or Die.

I also think it works far better than that one. It's on Netflix if you want to watch it. Onderhond might be able to better explain the rating, because I can't, but it certainly is inviting to watch more films by director Hiroki. Metascore is very good, in terms of metascore compared to IMDb rating it is similar to Spring Breakers. I saw it specifically for this forum list, because I thought there was a good shot of it making it into my list, and boy was I right...

I have seen Birds of Paradise also didn't get 6/10 on IMDb so i included that film too on my list, so i'm now at 19 films.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Well, the film being on Netflix makes a big difference, since you get a very different audience watching it, compared to it being released in arthouse theaters/MUBI, which I assume is where La vie d'Adèle found most of its votes.

And yes, the pushback against films like Ride or Die is much bigger these days, with people being offended by factual properties of a film (i.e. a man directing a lesbian relationship + nudity) rather than the film itself.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I can second both arguments :)
Open weird / unaccessible / controversial / artsy films to the random audience of Netflix and the IMDb rating (and not only there) will go down compared to a release only for a small crowd who's keen to such things. Hell, it maybe is even enough to only feature Asian actors if some bored rando will start the film, realize after 15 minutes that eVeRyBodY LoOkS tHE sAmE! and abort the view. I could imagine you lose another 0.1 to 0.2 points for that. But who knows.
matthewscott8 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:31 am
1SO wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:07 pm I'm looking through everyone's lists and finding titles I didn't consider that might benefit from my support.

this is my 2009 poll experience, my 2 least favourite films placed #1 and #2. Although I did enjoy XXXXXx, XXXXXX is the worst film I have ever seen and may win the poll.
Oi, what's up with the spoiler business in this thread :folded:
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Torgo wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:12 pm I can second both arguments :)
Open weird / unaccessible / controversial / artsy films to the random audience of Netflix and the IMDb rating (and not only there) will go down compared to a release only for a small crowd who's keen to such things. Hell, it maybe is even enough to only feature Asian actors if some bored rando will start the film, realize after 15 minutes that eVeRyBodY LoOkS tHE sAmE! and abort the view. I could imagine you lose another 0.1 to 0.2 points for that. But who knows.
matthewscott8 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:31 am

this is my 2009 poll experience, my 2 least favourite films placed #1 and #2. Although I did enjoy XXXXXx, XXXXXX is the worst film I have ever seen and may win the poll.
Oi, what's up with the spoiler business in this thread :folded:
With Gretel & Hansel the shot I showed is from very early in the film and isn't a spoiler, nonetheless I have put it in spoiler tags now to avoid offending. One film I mentioned already won the forum's underrated poll, however, since it doesn't exactly harm things to put spoiler tag on them I have done so in the name of "opinions may differ".
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Oh, I wasn't refering to Gretel, I would have forgotten that by the time I scroll to the next post, no problem. I just don't like very clear very obvious poll predictions in nominations threads - yep, I'm sensitive when it comes to that :D
1SO

Post by 1SO »

The spoiler part didn't mention one of the titles I was referring to, so there's still some mystery.
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:30 am
Fergenaprido wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:54 pm Lonewolf, I just noticed one of my films went from a 5.9 to a 6.0 rating. Will you be automatically excluding films when you run the script, or should we doublechecked these things right before the deadline and remove them ourselves?

Still, I personally would prefer to wait until just before the deadline to remove any films that had gone over the 6.0 line, because if a film went from 5.9 to 6.0 this week, it might fall back to 5.9 next week.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

gromit82 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 6:24 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:30 am

Still, I personally would prefer to wait until just before the deadline to remove any films that had gone over the 6.0 line, because if a film went from 5.9 to 6.0 this week, it might fall back to 5.9 next week.
Good point, gromit - and one I had neglected to consider. Just yesterday, I cut from my list 'Mannequin', 'No Trees in the Street' and 'Fieras sin jaula' as they had all gone up to 6.0. I will re-add them to my list if they revert to 5.9 before the deadline.

Thanks.
That's all, folks!
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

One could question if a movie that constanlty switches between 5.9 and 6.0 really belongs on a favorite low rated list.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:53 am One could question if a movie that constanlty switches between 5.9 and 6.0 really belongs on a favorite low rated list.
We could question if any of the films on our lists belong on any favorite list :lol:
FWIW, almost ALL of my top entries are in the 5.7 to 5.9 range and I have no problems to see why those below 5.6 are where they are.
1SO

Post by 1SO »

That's a good stat, overall average of each list.
two-thirds of my 106 movies are 5.7-5.9. I have four below 5.0, and I passionately defend each one.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

My list has 72 5.9s, 38 5.8s and 47 5.7s.

My list is currently 356 titles long (I may cut some of them), so over 50 per cent are 5.6 and under.
That's all, folks!
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

ok some stats:

162 titles at the moment

5.9: 34
5.8: 25
5.7: 17
5.6: 15

5-5.5: 39
4-4.9: 26
under 4: 6

Lowest rated film has a 1.5 with over 8,000 votes
Silga

Post by Silga »

My stats:

158 titles

5.9: 30
5.8: 36
5.7: 23
5.6: 18

5-5.5: 41
4-4.9: 10

under 4: none
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

insomnius

Post by insomnius »

It's tempting to expand the list even further with underrated stuff I really like, but I stuck to just filtering my general top list.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls537912619/
1-2 ranked,
then unranked.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

insomnius wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:51 pm It's tempting to expand the list even further with underrated stuff I really like, but I stuck to just filtering my general top list.

1-2 ranked,
then unranked.
Delectable and demented, insomnius. Will try to watch your #1 (love the experimentations I've seen so far from Smith), along with a few of the shorts you highlight.

Thanks for reminding me of 'Abigail Lesley...' and Broughton's 'Dreamwood'. Two others I will prioritise.

Glad to see 'Babylon Pink' in your list. If we can get one more person to watch it and like it, it might have a chance of sneaking on to the list, haha...

:cheers:
That's all, folks!
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 2:56 pm
insomnius wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:51 pm It's tempting to expand the list even further with underrated stuff I really like, but I stuck to just filtering my general top list.

1-2 ranked,
then unranked.
Delectable and demented, insomnius. Will try to watch your #1 (love the experimentations I've seen so far from Smith), along with a few of the shorts you highlight.

Thanks for reminding me of 'Abigail Lesley...' and Broughton's 'Dreamwood'. Two others I will prioritise.

Glad to see 'Babylon Pink' in your list. If we can get one more person to watch it and like it, it might have a chance of sneaking on to the list, haha...

Fat chance. :D

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

How come many early documentaire shorts have a low rating? A lot of one-shot outdoor stuff from Lumière and the likes have a low rating. Do people who rate this low because they really think these are bad shorts or do they think this stuff is too hard to rate and just rate it a default 5 or whatever because they want to keep track on IMDb?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Not memorable, no impact. What I remember most about the Lumiere shorts is that guy who reads the numbers. He has a nice voice.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

joachimt wrote: January 21st, 2022, 6:56 pm How come many early documentaire shorts have a low rating? A lot of one-shot outdoor stuff from Lumière and the likes have a low rating. Do people who rate this low because they really think these are bad shorts or do they think this stuff is too hard to rate and just rate it a default 5 or whatever because they want to keep track on IMDb?
I think a lot of people just rate them low a) as a default or, b) because it's so old, dated, and technically inept by their standards. We have several people here who I'm fairly sure rate all of that stuff 1-3 on principal, and the average IMDb user is probably less forgiving than even our less forgiving members. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum myself and probably too forgiving.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Hmmm, some time ago I bumped into a word that described people who don't care for any technical/contextual limitations of an artwork/its artist. People are pretty good with movements and such here, any ideas?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: January 21st, 2022, 7:16 pm Hmmm, some time ago I bumped into a word that described people who don't care for any technical/contextual limitations of an artwork/its artist. People are pretty good with movements and such here, any ideas?
The closest thing that comes to mind is "luddite" but that's not really it, though it might describe some people who for example hate digital tech out of hand. I have a vague idea of what you're talking about but it's not coming to me.
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik »

OldAle1 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 7:02 pm ...I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum myself and probably too forgiving.
Comrade! :cheers:
vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer »