Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

What got you to Platinum?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Don't be terrified, they're just films. Just watch them, some you'll like, other you'll hate.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Lost films, the ones we know for a fact are lost, should not be on lists. Note them in the description.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

kongs_speech wrote: December 13th, 2021, 3:05 am Lost films, the ones we know for a fact are lost, should not be on lists. Note them in the description.
This, 100%, for the 5000th time.
No we don't want to keep them as honey pots for cheetahs :P
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

Yes! Denote lost films in the description please.

Got Platinum on Harvard's Suggested Film Viewing: Narrative Films! Ha-Chayim Al-Pi Agfa is hard to come by; got a DVD from a NYC store that specializes in Israeli films.
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

89th Plat Total Film's 50 Amazing Films You've Probably Never Seen by watching Carnival of Sinners, good French horror.
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

90th plat: The Spaghetti Western Database's Essential Top 50 Films
Got a DVD with the last two films on it, most the other films easy to find online.
Bllindman with Ringo Starr was interesting.
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

La petite voleuse (1988), not too hard to find, got me my 91st Plat with the Guardian's 1000 Films to See. Which is also my biggest Platinum list.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Platinum on a 1000+ movie list (D:)

Congrats!
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

92nd Plat 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Paid $2 to watch Gabbeh on YouTube. Beautiful film.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

I got my first platinum today. Given how many films I've seen this has taken a long time, I struggle to watch films simply because they are in lists, particularly if the lists are arrived at by the ouija of fools.

So platinum #1 is IMDb's Thriller Top 50, and the final film was Eskiya / The Bandit (1996 - Yavuz Turgul). I also watched Joker, High and Low, The Secret in Their Eyes, Prisoners, Gone Girl, Yojimbo and Witness For The Prosecution just because they were on this list. High and Low is the only favourite to come out of those watches. It has taken me years to watch those films, as I struggle to find time to watch films unless I have a good feeling about the watching.

I have not seen much love for Eskiya here, it seems a forum chore watch, a tax we have to pay for caring about lists. However I do think it had some very good cinematography and some fine poignant moments, as well as that rarity of achievements, the occasional immersion into the magic real.

These are the beloved films on my top 1000 list that I share in common with the IMDb Thiller Top 50. Whilst I am not particularly a genre bound watcher, I do like thrillers. I have a Gymnopedie of Satie playing in my head as I think of these old watches. I am getting old, film has been a kindness to me, a consolation for absent love.

019 Vertigo (1958 - Alfred Hitchcock)
040 Shutter Island (2010 - Martin Scorsese)
260 Du rififi chez les hommes / Rififi (1955 - Jules Dassin)
326 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé / A Man Escaped (1956 - Robert Bresson)
361 Aliens (1986 - James Cameron)
430 天国と地獄 / Tengoku to jigoku / High and Low (1963 - Akira Kurosawa)
498 Иди и смотри / Idi i smotri / Come and see (1985 - Elem Klimov)
544 Le Salaire de la peur / The Wages of Fear (1953 - Henri-Georges Clouzot)
555 Jaws (1975 - Steven Spielberg)
590 砂の女 / Suna no onna / Woman in the Dunes (1964 - Hiroshi Teshigahara)
755 Chinatown (1974 - Roman Polanski)
762 The Prestige (2006 - Christopher Nolan)
904 M (1931 - Fritz Lang)

As well as favourites the list has many dislikes, including two films that I would never watch again unless great love or kingly fortunes were the inducement.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I got four platinums this past week to bring my total to 11:

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021) got me IMDb’s Adventure Top 50

Saw (2004) got me iCheckMovies's Most Checked

The Nutty Professor (1963) got me AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs

Body Heat (1981) got me AFI's 100 Years...100 Passions

There are five other Official Lists where I'm only 1 or 2 films away so I may pick up a few more in the coming week.
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

96th Plat Time Out's The 101 Best Action Movies Ever Made

The third to last film I saw on the list, https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/baai+ga+jai/, was hilarious.

An easier action film list to get through than Marshall Julius's Action! list.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

12th Platinum - AFI's 100 Years...100 Thrills - The Thing from Another World (1951)

13th Platinum - IMDb's Action Top 50 - Dangal (2016)
Dimitris Psachos Springer

Post by Dimitris Psachos Springer »

Platinum at the IMDb Music list (alongside a handful of other IMDb stuff this past week) thanks to the long overdue watch of the MAGNIFICENT Burmese Harp, a feast for the soul, ears and painful conclusions. Been meaning to wrap up a few more of those lists, as a side-2022 goal.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Three more platinums this week:

14th Platinum - Golden Globe Award - Best Motion Picture - Evita (1996)

15th Platinum - Academy Award - Best International Feature Film - Character (1997)

I have 22 films left on the International Feature Film Nominees list and hope to have 21 of them watched over the next month. That will just leave Portrait of Chieko which seems impossible to find for now,

16th Platinum - IMDb's Independent Top 50 - The Exterminating Angel (1962)

Platinum at FOK (I delayed this for no reason!) with Babette's Feast, a magnificently charming "bonfire" of romanticism and hyper-realist images and characters, next to a plethora of delicious dishes (definitely not for vegans :lol: )
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Dimitris Psachos Springer wrote: April 11th, 2022, 6:12 pm Platinum at FOK (I delayed this for no reason!) with Babette's Feast, a magnificently charming "bonfire" of romanticism and hyper-realist images and characters, next to a plethora of delicious dishes (definitely not for vegans :lol: )
veganism is quite a pitfall with movies and no-one tends to bother to point out those pitfalls usually. I was watching Anne of the Indies last night and as entertainment this guy in The Black Anchor wrestles a bear. It won the poll for best swashbuckler on SCFZ. They've literally enslaved and tortured a bear. It's usually very weighty arthouse movies that don't have a problem with torturing and killing animals.

I kept La Grande Bouffe around on my top list when I went vegan because it seems to work as a satire of carnism. The FOK list is one I'm randomly close to Platinum on without having targeted, maybe I hold my nose and watch Babette's Feast soon.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

This is interesting to me. I thought veganism was not consuming animals or animal products. But does it extend to not viewing images of animal killing and consumption as well?

Another Plat, this time for IMDb's Musical list, having a blast with both Young Girls of Rochefort and Gold Diggers of 1933, instant favorites (but that's not surprising, I'm always a sucker for superbly-crafted musicals) :wub:
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

beasterne wrote: April 12th, 2022, 3:40 pm This is interesting to me. I thought veganism was not consuming animals or animal products. But does it extend to not viewing images of animal killing and consumption as well?
It extends to entertainment too. So you can't go to the circus if they have animals. Also if the filmmaker is using animals that's not vegan either, obviously filming a flock of birds going past is not a problem, but when it's obviously a non consenting animal being made to do stuff or having their freedom restricted that's a problem.

Veganism is basically all about animal rights. It's easy to get confused because a lot of people say they are into animal rights but then they eat animals. Usually they are just wanting better treatment of the enslaved animal before it's killed for their food.

I wasn't sure what you meant by consumed, but for the avoidance of doubt it's not just eating, leather shoes, belts, wallets and purses are all out.

Some vegans will not watch westerns because they use horses. Some would not watch a CGI of an animal being abused (The House That Jack Built is a good example). I am OK with CGI, Jack is an example where PETA have said it's fine. It may be that they worry that images of violence to animals normalizes violence to animals.

How far you want to take it is up to the individual, it feels the later in time we get the more it should have been obviously wrong to the filmmaker. I wish some filmmakers would work out what using animals does to their credibility.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Because PETA is a reasonable organization that we should take seriously and listen to. How many of their rescue animals do they kill, again? Not watching people eat meat is a new one, I must say. Haven't heard that before!
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

double post
Last edited by matthewscott8 on April 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

kongs_speech wrote: April 12th, 2022, 4:21 pm Because PETA is a reasonable organization that we should take seriously and listen to. How many of their rescue animals do they kill, again? Not watching people eat meat is a new one, I must say. Haven't heard that before!
The eating animal products things isn't much of a hurdle, I think I mentioned to you once before that artists of taste have avoided displaying things like that for a very long time. PETA has its problems with overzealousness, but the rescue animals thing you raised is just a random reactionary talking point that's been debunked over and over again.

Whilst I'm all for debating veganism, I don't discuss things on the bingo card, one of which is the PETA murders animals thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments ... from_pics/

I recognise that being presented with a bingo card like that can be disorienting, if you want to understand why I'm doing that, please note the following trans bingo card, which I imagine you can identify with, and understand the frustrations which have caused it to come into existence:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lizhenry/3185596118
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

matthewscott8 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm
kongs_speech wrote: April 12th, 2022, 4:21 pm Because PETA is a reasonable organization that we should take seriously and listen to. How many of their rescue animals do they kill, again? Not watching people eat meat is a new one, I must say. Haven't heard that before!
The eating animal products things isn't much of a hurdle, I think I mentioned to you once before that artists of taste have avoided displaying things like that for a very long time. PETA has its problems with overzealousness, but the rescue animals thing you raised is just a random reactionary talking point that's been debunked over and over again.

Whilst I'm all for debating veganism, I don't discuss things on the bingo card, one of which is the PETA murders animals thing:

I recognise that being presented with a bingo card like that can be disorienting, if you want to understand why I'm doing that, please note the following trans bingo card, which I imagine you can identify with, and understand the frustrations which have caused it to come into existence:

If you could not compare my gender identity to your voluntary decision to avoid animal products, that would be swell. :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm trying to avoid arguments on the forum, so I'm really uninterested in taking this further.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

matthewscott8 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 3:56 pm
beasterne wrote: April 12th, 2022, 3:40 pm This is interesting to me. I thought veganism was not consuming animals or animal products. But does it extend to not viewing images of animal killing and consumption as well?
It extends to entertainment too. So you can't go to the circus if they have animals. Also if the filmmaker is using animals that's not vegan either, obviously filming a flock of birds going past is not a problem, but when it's obviously a non consenting animal being made to do stuff or having their freedom restricted that's a problem.

Veganism is basically all about animal rights. It's easy to get confused because a lot of people say they are into animal rights but then they eat animals. Usually they are just wanting better treatment of the enslaved animal before it's killed for their food.

I wasn't sure what you meant by consumed, but for the avoidance of doubt it's not just eating, leather shoes, belts, wallets and purses are all out.

Some vegans will not watch westerns because they use horses. Some would not watch a CGI of an animal being abused (The House That Jack Built is a good example). I am OK with CGI, Jack is an example where PETA have said it's fine. It may be that they worry that images of violence to animals normalizes violence to animals.

How far you want to take it is up to the individual, it feels the later in time we get the more it should have been obviously wrong to the filmmaker. I wish some filmmakers would work out what using animals does to their credibility.
Thanks for the reply. It’s an interesting perspective on the ethics of filming animals I hadn’t considered before. Like the cat in the opening scene of The Godfather which was found on the studio lot and plopped into Brando’s hands before they began filming. The cat didn’t choose to be there, but does shooting a scene against its will go far enough to make it difficult for a vegan to watch? What if it was a trained cat, would that make a difference?

And an off-topic question, how do vegans (or you specifically if you can’t answer for all vegans) think about pets? Are they also having their freedom restricted by being kept in a person’s home?
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

beasterne wrote: April 13th, 2022, 9:42 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. It’s an interesting perspective on the ethics of filming animals I hadn’t considered before. Like the cat in the opening scene of The Godfather which was found on the studio lot and plopped into Brando’s hands before they began filming. The cat didn’t choose to be there, but does shooting a scene against its will go far enough to make it difficult for a vegan to watch? What if it was a trained cat, would that make a difference?

And an off-topic question, how do vegans (or you specifically if you can’t answer for all vegans) think about pets? Are they also having their freedom restricted by being kept in a person’s home?
I think I'm on the same page as most vegans on pets. So you don't have a pet per se you would have a companion animal, and you would not use the word pet. Pet implies ownership, the behaviours would be different as well. So vegans would tend to have rescue animals as companions rather than purchasing off breeders, we're not trying to encourage breeding of animals and there are lots of animals without homes so breeding more seems silly.

There's a difference in agency levels as well, when I go out for a walk with a dog, I'm going to have to control that situation in some respect otherwise we won't end up back home, but I'd often be letting the dog choose which path they wanted to explore for example. Also vegans are more likely to be feeding the animals vegan food, dogs for example are perfectly happy eating vegan, though need this monitored more closely than a human would (noone needs to jump in and tell me this is cruel btw, the cruel bit is killing animals to feed an animal, and vegan dogs are happy).

The Brando cat example is a bit like pranking the cat I guess, not the right thing to do, but no need to burn flags or start riots over. As you allude animal trainers do exist, and maybe an animal might enjoy training in some circumstances, cats probably not on that list of wanting training, but you do get some more dog-like cats occasionally. I felt Tarr went too far with his treatment of the cat in Satantango so I stopped watching at that point.

A companion animal is having their freedom restricted by being kept at home. It seems like general common sense to have some level of restriction here. If a cat has got cat HIV, think this is called SIV if I recall, you have to keep them inside or the other cats get sick. Also a dog can get run over and into all sorts of other trouble pretty quick. You might have to make a tough decision one day, like if your companion animal clearly prefers someone else's company, that's their decision.

I do make allowances for age of films, people at some point in time couldn't be faulted for eating animals, for example if veganism was viewed as impossible (Spanish produce importing in winter, better scientific understanding, and my b12, iodine and biotin supplements make it pretty damned easy). Although it shouldn't be forgotten that consciousness of animal rights issues is very ancient. No filmmaker in the history of film can really pretend they didn't know distressing animals simply for entertainment was wrong.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

kongs_speech wrote: April 12th, 2022, 4:39 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm

If you could not compare my gender identity to your voluntary decision to avoid animal products, that would be swell. :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm trying to avoid arguments on the forum, so I'm really uninterested in taking this further.
that isn't what I did but it's a neat rhetorical trick. I do agree that it's not productive for us to converse. Let's aspire to be better strangers as the Bard said.
Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot »

Just became the 8th person to finish the BIFF Asian Cinema list. Mukhsin got me there, but I focused on this list for the past few weeks, watching the remaining 25 or so that I had been missing. I really liked the diverse country representation at the end... films from Malaysia, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan all made it on. Puts me at 85 finished lists.

Although there's a minor bug that I noticed a few weeks ago that hasn't corrected... the IMDb Top 250 award shows as Gold (as of May 2021) on my Awards page, but I have Plat on it, as of the great reorganization of 2022.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Tasselfoot wrote: April 15th, 2022, 10:35 pm Although there's a minor bug that I noticed a few weeks ago that hasn't corrected... the IMDb Top 250 award shows as Gold (as of May 2021) on my Awards page, but I have Plat on it, as of the great reorganization of 2022.
Can confirm his observation: https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/a ... tasselfoot
Maybe unchecking and rechecking a film might fix it?
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Torgo wrote: April 16th, 2022, 12:20 am
Tasselfoot wrote: April 15th, 2022, 10:35 pm Although there's a minor bug that I noticed a few weeks ago that hasn't corrected... the IMDb Top 250 award shows as Gold (as of May 2021) on my Awards page, but I have Plat on it, as of the great reorganization of 2022.
Can confirm his observation: https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/a ... tasselfoot
I never got awarded platinum for getting 50/50 on the thriller list, so maybe it's a wide issue.
Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot »

Unchecked and rechecked Shawshank Redemption... resulted in getting 2 of these emails:
Interestingly, the "lost" email didn't include IMDb Top 250 (since the site thinks it's Gold to begin with), but the "found" email did. Sadly, the Awards page still shows it as Gold. Definitely a bug.

edit: nevermind... somewhere in the past however many minutes... it updated and fixed itself. Woo!
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Glad to help B)
Although I would have chosen a film with a few lists less to not mess around with so many medals/stats, but, well :D
Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot »

Torgo wrote: April 16th, 2022, 4:10 pm Glad to help B)
Although I would have chosen a film with a few lists less to not mess around with so many medals/stats, but, well :D
I only realized that after I did it... oh well.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

17th Platinum - IMDb's 1990s Top 50 - Satantango (1994)

I don't begrudge the time it took to watch this film, but it certainly isn't a movie I plan to ever watch again.

gunnar wrote: April 18th, 2022, 3:46 am 17th Platinum - IMDb's 1990s Top 50 - Satantango (1994)

I don't begrudge the time it took to watch this film, but it certainly isn't a movie I plan to ever watch again.
It's superior to almost everything from the 90s list, equivalent to masterpieces like Goodfellas, A Brighter Summer Day, Princess Mononoke, Fargo, Raise the Red Lantern and...Jurassic Park, hehe.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

What got me to Platinum on IMDb’s Thriller Top 50? Just IMDb changing the lists around. My most recent check is Parasite which I checked over 2 years ago. But still I’m happy—it’s my 11th Platinum award.

1960s IMDb Plat for Samurai Rebellion, another 6/5 newest favorite of installation-distilled images and settings, where Kobayashi extracts fascinating performances and denouements from his compositions (lest I forget, musically and cinematographically splendid as well)

I'm aware IMDb's lists get a bad rep, justifiably so for some reasons, but with masterpieces like this, it should be easy for hardcore cine-lovers to search and appreciate the right stuff :thumbsup:
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

matthewscott8 wrote: April 16th, 2022, 8:20 am
I never got awarded platinum for getting 50/50 on the thriller list, so maybe it's a wide issue.
Today something has been kicked out of Thriller and Jaws is in, I have seen Jaws so wondering if this will finally prompt ICM to give me my official shiny platinum badge :woot:
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I got my eighth Platinum: the FilmTotaal Forum's Top 100 list. For seeing "V for Vendetta," which also had been my most-checked unseen film for ages.
Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot »

Finished the BBC's 100 Women Director's list. Really disliked the last handful of films I had on it. Oh well. As a sweeping generalization, they were too slow and meandering. The Meetings of Anna, Adoption, The Connection. Not a fan of directors like Chantel Ackerman and Agnes Varda. Did enjoy Tomboy and Grave, though.