Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 44 released December 29th: We Need to Talk About How Omicron is Profitting From Covid)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Comedy (Results), Directors (Jan 10th), UK (Jan 24th), 1920 (Jan 28th), Low IMDb rating (Feb 4th)
Challenges: Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Liechtenstein, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, 1000<400
Managers Cup: SF Schedule, SFA: sol vs sacmersault (Jan 30th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The thread where we post links to lists

gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 26th, 2021, 10:00 pm
Onderhond wrote: November 26th, 2021, 11:03 am Are you trying to monkey paw me?
Is this a Flemish expression?
I laughed when I read that reply from Onderhond. It made perfect sense to me, though I hadn't heard it expressed exactly that way before.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

mjf314 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 12:43 am https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... ed-movies/
Empire's The 50 Best Animated Movies

Published about 2 months ago.
Added to icm: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/empi ... genaprido/
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 26th, 2021, 10:00 pm Is this a Flemish expression?
Nopes.

Quite a few (horror) films that used this concept/story. A person gets a monkey paw and is granted wishes for each finger they bend. While their wish is technically granted, it never really goes as they hoped (usually it turns out badly).

So yeah, I might have wished for more contemporary films in official (animation) lists, that doesn't mean I want a bunch of shitty kiddy US animations 😁
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Ohhh, okay. Thanks for explaining. :)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 26th, 2021, 10:25 pm Ohhh, okay. Thanks for explaining. :)
You're welcome. Here's the wiki btw, if you want to know more about the original story :)
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

I found this list going around on Twitter and Reddit of Stephen Sondheim's favorite films. Haven't found a primary source, but according to the posts I found Sondheim created this list roughly 15 years ago for "The Sondheim Review". List is ranked alphabetically: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/step ... beasterne/
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

All movies on Plex (or at least here in The Netherlands) except for the ones that aren't on IMDb

I manually collected over 4000 IMDb urls (well, a part was done by a friend on MovieMeter) to create this list. I'll update it once in a while.

If you like obscure, weird or bad stuff, this is the list to go to. I've seen 151 out of 4026.

Official checks 199 / 4026.
Zero checks 1987 / 4026 :blink: :blink: :blink:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

joachimt wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:29 pm All movies on Plex (or at least here in The Netherlands) except for the ones that aren't on IMDb

I manually collected over 4000 IMDb urls (well, a part was done by a friend on MovieMeter) to create this list. I'll update it once in a while.

If you like obscure, weird or bad stuff, this is the list to go to. I've seen 151 out of 4026.

Can you add a URL in the description to the Plex site (where people can search/stream the films?). Did a quick Google and it's not immediately apparent :)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Onderhond wrote: November 29th, 2021, 7:07 pm
joachimt wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:29 pm All movies on Plex (or at least here in The Netherlands) except for the ones that aren't on IMDb

Can you add a URL in the description to the Plex site (where people can search/stream the films?). Did a quick Google and it's not immediately apparent :)
I added this:
https://app.plex.tv/desktop/#!/media/tv ... categories

Not sure if you need a login to see that page.
ICM-profile
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

joachimt wrote: November 29th, 2021, 7:13 pm I added this:
https://app.plex.tv/desktop/#!/media/tv ... categories

Not sure if you need a login to see that page.
Nopes, that's perfect. Thanks a bunch!
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

This works as a startpage:
https://watch.plex.tv/
ICM-profile
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

This list about the best New York movies was published this week. The list has a lot I don't like, but there are also some interesting choices I hadn't heard of before, and plenty of variation.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/new+ ... es/blocho/
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

blocho wrote: December 8th, 2021, 12:31 am This list about the best New York movies was published this week. The list has a lot I don't like, but there are also some interesting choices I hadn't heard of before, and plenty of variation.

What are some of your dislikes, and why? I notice they include stuff that wasn't shot there which...is pretty iffy to me, given that New York actually has had films shot there since the dawn of film, and plenty of them, including plenty of great ones. Rear Window stands out right away, a completely and obviously studio-bound film. I know Hitch took pains to give it the look and feel of the city, but I guess I'd question just how different that look was from other bigger, older cities in 1954 like Chicago, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Cleveland. And he wasn't a New Yorker, and neither was his screenwriter (though Cornell Woolrich, the writer whose work it's based on, was) or James Stewart or Grace Kelly. Baby Face is also completely studio-bound as I remember though I don't remember the film well enough to comment much on it's "New York-ness". Barbara Stanwyck had an indelible Brooklyn accent though, so there's that.

I've seen just under 3/4 of the list, and most of those I haven't are ones that were already of interest, so I'm bookmarking. Thanks for sharing!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 12:43 am
blocho wrote: December 8th, 2021, 12:31 am This list about the best New York movies was published this week. The list has a lot I don't like, but there are also some interesting choices I hadn't heard of before, and plenty of variation.

What are some of your dislikes, and why?
You draw an important distinction. There are movies on this list that I just don't like as movies and then there are movies that I like but I'm not sure really belong. Rear Window belongs to the latter category. While it's a great movie and it contains a certain New York experience, it doesn't have the feel of the city the way so many others on the list do. I feel the same way about Metropolitan and the Spider-Man pick.

I don't understand picking Ghostbusters II over Ghostbusters or Cloverfield over something like Escape from New York or The Godfather over Goodfellas. And Saturday Night Fever bugs me because it's been known for many years now that the famous magazine article it was based on was a complete lie. Also, The Incident is an unfortunate exclusion.

On the other hand, I'm really glad to see easily overlooked movies like On the Bowery and Park Row and The Odd Couple.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

dirty_score wrote: July 30th, 2021, 3:28 pm If you're a fan of this sort of things, I also want to share WTF? What The Future (were they thinking)? which is an expanded list of the Days of Future Past Film Challenge that I've created back in April thinking it would be a fun challenge but ended up completely ignored (but it's ok, no harm, no foul).

Anyway it's a list for everyone: cyberpunk junkies, sci-fi afficionados (obviously!), anime/asian lovers, an obscure dutch movie that our fellow dutchies haven't checked yet, silent shorts, an adult movie and most importantly, might be a useful guide for those participating in the Action and <400 challenges coming this August.
For those interested, here's the yearly update of the list WTF? What The Future (were they thinking)? with the batch of older movies set in 2022 (they all qualify for the current sci-fi challenge):

2022 Tsunami a.k.a. Deathwave: a 🇹🇭 thai disaster flick

Alien Intruder: your 90's trash starring a famed actor from Grease and another from Star Wars

The Dark Side of the Moon: it's a reference to Pink Floyd but it's also a (cult?) horror space station way before Event Horizon

Deham a.k.a. The Body an 🇮🇳 indian "serious social sci-fi flick" depicting organ trafficking

No Escape a.k.a. Absolom 2022: a battle royale between your favorite 90's b-movie actors (what a packed cast!)

Soylent Green: The sci-fi ecologic classic starring Charlton Heston

Happy viewings and a happy new year, folks! :party:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mark ... onderhond/

I've been advertising Schilling's latest book for a while now, this is the previous edition, broadly covering the Japanese cinema of the 90s. A superb list for anyone who loves to delve deeper into Japanese cinema, sadly there are about 19 films still missing from IMDb (& ICM).

Seen: 87/302 (28.81%)
Highest unchecked: A (#1)
Number of favorites: 27/87 (31.03%)
Highest favorite: Ano natsu, ichiban shizukana umi (#10)
Number of dislikes: 4/87 (4.60%)
Highest dislike: Adorenarin doraibu (#2)
Unofficial films: 260/302 (86.09%)
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

https://stacker.com/stories/4322/metrop ... s-all-time
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/stac ... genaprido/

I'm not terribly fond of Stacker or this list, but it caught my eye so I added it to icm. I'm sure many folks have already seen all 100 films, but I'm only at 57. They claim it to be equally weighted between IMDB and Metacritic scores, but looking at the list and the scores on the page, it appears to be skewed in favour of Metacritic.
Decade Breakdown
1920s: 1
1930s: 2
1940s: 2
1950s: 9
1960s: 16
1970s: 9
1980s: 9
1990s: 8
2000s: 23
2010s: 21
Country Breakdown (plus directors with multiple films)
28 - France (3 Godard, 2 Bresson, 2 Melville, 2 Truffaut)
15 - Japan (4 Koreeda, 3 Kurosawa, 3 Miyazaki, 3 Takahata, 2 Kobayashi)
13 - Italy (2 Fellini, 2 Leone, 2 Visconti)
5 - Germany
5 - South Korea (2 Lee)
4 - Spain (2 Almodóvar)
3 - Iran (2 Farhadi)
3 - Sweden (3 Bergman)
3 - Taiwan (2 Yang)
2 - Hong Kong (2 Wong)
2 - Hungary
2 - India
2 - Mexico
2 - Poland (2 Pawlikowski)
2 - Romania
2 - Russia/Soviet Union
2 - Turkey (2 Ceylan)
1 - Algeria
1 - Austria
1 - Brazil
1 - Canada
1 - Israel
(2 Haneke - 1 Austria, 1 France)
(2 Buñuel - 1 France, 1 Spain)
They mention a lack of African and female-directed films (1 North African film and 6/7 films directed by women were included). 1 unofficial film (Wild Pear Tree) plus 2 that only feature on the DTC list (Summer's Tale & Gett). Koreeda has the most films of any director, with 4.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Panunzio

Post by Panunzio »

I do love these sort of lists that provide a good intro to non-English cinema. I still think the Empire and BBC lists are much more well-rounded. That being said, I've only seen 70/100, so it looks like a good place to discover a few more films!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I was cleaning up a bunch of the open tabs in my browser (I have waaaaay too many), and added these lists from AMP to icm:

AMP's 30 Asian Zombie Movies That Are Worth Your Time
AMP's The 25 Best Asian Films of 2019
AMP's The 25 Best Asian Films of 2020
AMP's 40 Great Japanese Films of the 00s (2000-2009)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Onderhond wrote: January 5th, 2022, 12:52 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mark ... onderhond/

I've been advertising Schilling's latest book for a while now, this is the previous edition, broadly covering the Japanese cinema of the 90s. A superb list for anyone who loves to delve deeper into Japanese cinema, sadly there are about 19 films still missing from IMDb (& ICM).
Just a little heads-up that all missing links are now added, after a couple of epic back-and-forths with IMDb.