Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 44 released December 29th: We Need to Talk About How Omicron is Profitting From Covid)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Comedy (Results), Directors (Jan 10th), UK (Jan 24th), 1920 (Jan 28th), Low IMDb rating (Feb 4th)
Challenges: Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Liechtenstein, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, 1000<400
Managers Cup: SF Schedule, SFA: sol vs sacmersault (Jan 30th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Forum's Favorite Low Rated Movies: Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Gorro wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:57 am I attribute the extra low rating (even compared to Perkins' other movies) to naive Netflix users expecting more action and thrills.
I saw it in theaters. Part of the audience was there for "horror date night", there were even parents with kids, who clearly didn't get the memo what kind of film this was. So yeah, branding is tough :D

Edit: never mind me, thought you were talking about Gretel & Hansel!
Last edited by Onderhond on January 14th, 2022, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Gorro wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:57 am
Gorro wrote: January 12th, 2022, 4:04 pm
Gretel & Hansel is on the list as well (#13). I might seek I Am the Pretty Little Thing That LIves in the House out for this occasion.
Saw it and makes the list at #15. Beautifully created atmosphere through the cinematography and the quirky characters, although quite flat emotionally, tell an intriguing ghost story.
I attribute the extra low rating (even compared to Perkins' other movies) to naive Netflix users expecting more action and thrills.
Nice. I would slightly disagree or reframe your emotionally flat point. I felt that Lily was extremely emotionally and sexually repressed. There's a bit where she says she wears a white dress, even though the job does not require it, because it makes the patients less likely to touch her. There also seems to be (exactly like in Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived In the Castle), some repressed gay desire. Men only exist in a negative sense in this universe, controlling things, the lawyer dude has a key with Master written on it which the camera very pointedly lingers on.
Spoiler
Whilst the earliest of the house's "inhabitants" is literally immurred, by her male partner, Lily has existentially immurred or marooned herself, taking a job as a palliative care nurse in the middle of nowhere. She ends desperately craving to see the ghost of Polly again. It's a desperately sombre feminist movie.
That was my take anyway.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

matthewscott8 wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:31 am
Gretel & Hansel is on the list as well (#13). I might seek I Am the Pretty Little Thing That LIves in the House out for this occasion.
Saw it and makes the list at #15. Beautifully created atmosphere through the cinematography and the quirky characters, although quite flat emotionally, tell an intriguing ghost story.
I attribute the extra low rating (even compared to Perkins' other movies) to naive Netflix users expecting more action and thrills.
Nice. I would slightly disagree or reframe your emotionally flat point. I felt that Lily was extremely emotionally and sexually repressed. There's a bit where she says she wears a white dress, even though the job does not require it, because it makes the patients less likely to touch her. There also seems to be (exactly like in Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived In the Castle), some repressed gay desire. Men only exist in a negative sense in this universe, controlling things, the lawyer dude has a key with Master written on it which the camera very pointedly lingers on.
Spoiler
Whilst the earliest of the house's "inhabitants" is literally immurred, by her male partner, Lily has existentially immurred or marooned herself, taking a job as a palliative care nurse in the middle of nowhere. She ends desperately craving to see the ghost of Polly again. It's a desperately sombre feminist movie.
That was my take anyway.
My "emotionally flat" comment was more targetted at the fact that most of this is clear from the first few minutes we meet her and not slowly revealed throughout the movie nor the reason for her being this way. There is no story arc there for her. I don't know if such an arc would have benefitted this movie - it's neat and tight this way -, but it's something I noticed and wondered.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

I may edit this later, but it's prob done. Some of these are actual favorites (majority of the top 25 or so). Aside from those I tried to include films that I rate substantially higher than the IMDB rating. None are films that I rate lower than 7+ or 8 (whereas 8+ is my traditional cutoff mark for favorites regardless of IMDB rating).

One in particular that sticks in my brain is Corman's Young Racers. It's below 5 on IMDB and is really quite a good film imo. Similar to Halloween III (which is a great film if you remove any connection to the franchise) I think fans of Corman must not like it because it's kind of an outlier on his filmography.

ranked
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

peeptoad wrote: January 14th, 2022, 1:40 pm
One in particular that sticks in my brain is Corman's Young Racers. It's below 5 on IMDB and is really quite a good film imo. Similar to Halloween III (which is a great film if you remove any connection to the franchise) I think fans of Corman must not like it because it's kind of an outlier on his filmography.

ranked
Really glad to see Xtro so high on your list...still unofficial, criminal!

As to Young Racers I only have that rated a 6 - and if I'm not the biggest Corman fan here, I don't know who is. I watched it just about a year ago as one of the last films in completing his (director) filmography, and here's what I said:

Corman's first car-racing film is an intriguing but only intermittently successful character study of a seemingly arrogant, thoughtless hot race car driver (William Campbell) on the Grand Prix circuit, and the ex-racer (Mark Damon) writing a story on him who is lured back into racing and competition both for the trophies and women. The race sequences are fine - and if you see Corman's other racing-oriented films you'll see them again, or very, very similar sequences - and the acting is decent, with Patrick Magee (best known for his work in A Clockwork Orange 8 years later) a standout as the owner or manager of the racing team, but it doesn't all quite gel; it's one of a few Corman films that I think could have benefited from a bit more development and a slightly longer running time; with just 84 minutes and a decent chunk of that devoted to racing, we just don't get to know the people well enough.

Every Corman film I've re-watched has improved, or at least not gone down in rating, so maybe this will click more on a second viewing someday.

I have a new add to my list though, and it's a re-watch - I just wasn't done with Dolph Lundgren after going through all the Universal Soldier flicks and decided to go back to the 80s and comic book-toy nostalgia for Masters of the Universe which was much more awesome than I remembered it. DP Hanania Baer especially has to be one of the unsung heroes of 80s neon-pink - he also shot Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and Elvira: Mistress of the Dark - and the cheesy sets are glorious also.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

matthewscott8 wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:31 am
Spoiler
That was my take anyway.
These very much seem like valid observations to me that I'd like to say I totally agree with, but I couldn't say if they have much overlap with my interpretations at the time. Probably not, at least not with those of the initial first two viewings, maybe more on the third viewing. It's too faded from my memory now to jump in with reassessed thoughts and new interpretations. But I just remembered that I wrote stuff about it back then, maybe you are interested in reading it. This review I wrote after the first two viewings (as I said, I watched it twice within 24 hours). My fascination back then was more with the concept of ghosts, ghosts as a lingering past ("The past is never dead. It’s not even past."), ghosts as a communication between the living and the dead (and vice versa), and so on. And rereading the review after a long time just now actually did make my memory of it a lot more vivid again.

My review is rather concerned with explaining the plot, which is the way I often wrote about films back in those days whenever I wanted to go "deep" and at which I'm now looking in disdain. Not that I find my current mode of reviewing (if it can even be called that in many cases) more potent and worthwhile reads. But yeah, whatever, all inferiority complexes aside, here's the pretty thing that lives on letterboxed: https://letterboxd.com/systematicer/fil ... the-house/

It actually also lives on IMDb, my third-last review I posted there before I abandoned contributing to IMDb for turning Film General (and the other main boards) into ghosts. And I discovered that it is (most probably) my most read review on there by orders of magnitude, and not too poorly judged either. Well, there's no accounting for taste. But more importantly, on the subject of IMDb reviews, I read your most recent reviews of films that are personal favorites of mine, namely 'L'amour à la mer', 'Au pan coupé' & 'La vie à l'envers'. Bloody good stuff, matey. Dug your particular brand of connecting to Guy Gilles' sensitivity. Unter dem Pflaster ist der Strand, as they used to say in 1968. And your reminiscing on existential philosophy was an interesting read. Oneironautics-a-go-go. I bet Jacques Valin would have made a great experimental film connoisseur. :)
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

OldAle1 wrote: January 14th, 2022, 1:52 pm
peeptoad wrote: January 14th, 2022, 1:40 pm

ranked
Really glad to see Xtro so high on your list...still unofficial, criminal!

As to Young Racers I only have that rated a 6 - and if I'm not the biggest Corman fan here, I don't know who is. I watched it just about a year ago as one of the last films in completing his (director) filmography, and here's what I said:

Corman's first car-racing film is an intriguing but only intermittently successful character study of a seemingly arrogant, thoughtless hot race car driver (William Campbell) on the Grand Prix circuit, and the ex-racer (Mark Damon) writing a story on him who is lured back into racing and competition both for the trophies and women. The race sequences are fine - and if you see Corman's other racing-oriented films you'll see them again, or very, very similar sequences - and the acting is decent, with Patrick Magee (best known for his work in A Clockwork Orange 8 years later) a standout as the owner or manager of the racing team, but it doesn't all quite gel; it's one of a few Corman films that I think could have benefited from a bit more development and a slightly longer running time; with just 84 minutes and a decent chunk of that devoted to racing, we just don't get to know the people well enough.

Every Corman film I've re-watched has improved, or at least not gone down in rating, so maybe this will click more on a second viewing someday.

I have a new add to my list though, and it's a re-watch - I just wasn't done with Dolph Lundgren after going through all the Universal Soldier flicks and decided to go back to the 80s and comic book-toy nostalgia for Masters of the Universe which was much more awesome than I remembered it. DP Hanania Baer especially has to be one of the unsung heroes of 80s neon-pink - he also shot Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and Elvira: Mistress of the Dark - and the cheesy sets are glorious also.
Xtro should be on an official list... maybe 366 Weird or one of those, at bare minimum.

IDK, I wouldn't trust my word on Young Racers, OldAle... your opinion is probably in line with more rather than less. It was a good movie for Luana Anders at any rate and it's got to be better than the IMDB 4.9. :shrug:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Oh yeah, it definitely doesn't deserve a 4.9, but then most Corman films are rated way too low if you ask me - he's got 37 out of his 56 features that qualify for this poll, several of which are on my list. To be fair plenty of his films are in the mediocre-to-kinda-good-but-not-really-special category but that's to be expected when you're directing 5-9 films in a year and producing an equal number of others.
India Istanbul

Post by India Istanbul »

Last edited by India Istanbul on January 14th, 2022, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

India Istanbul wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:42 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls537893287/

These are not ranked.
So many wonderful MST3K memories there .. :D
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Fully ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls531075906/

May watch a few more eligible titles based on other people's ballots.
🧚‍♂️🦫
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

peeptoad wrote: January 14th, 2022, 1:40 pmI tried to include films that I rate substantially higher than the IMDB rating. None are films that I rate lower than 7+ or 8 (whereas 8+ is my traditional cutoff mark for favorites regardless of IMDB rating).
I like this and am trying to do the same. I'm way more likely to include a film I rated a 7/10 if it has a rating, say, under 5.5 or 5.6. That gap between my rating and collective IMDb opinion is a nice way to approach this, I think.

Nice to see 'Pick-up' and 'Xtro' in your list. Just watched the latter a few days ago. Amazing body-horror; as though the film-makers spliced together 'ET' and 'Alien' into a gruesome yet touching concoction all of its own. Hehe, it'll be high up my list!

:cheers:
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Y'all realize that we had a separate poll in 2019 for "Most Underrated", right?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4740

Sounds like some partitipants might be conflating "underrated" and "low-rated". I would encourage people to stick to their usual cutoffs when making their lists for this poll, and not lower it just to make their ballots longer (or for other reasons).

Cheers :)
🧚‍♂️🦫
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Fair enough, Ferg. That poll in 2019 was open to pretty much any IMDb rating that the user deemed underrated. The 5.9 cut-off makes this one more focused in on low-rated.

I might leave out a handful of 5.8 or 5.9 films that don't immediately jump out at me. That's all I'm saying.
That's all, folks!
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

I'll keep it to 100 titles for now, not sure I'll have time to expand it but it's been a fun list to create so I'll try if I can:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls531047006/

One Uncle Leo title made the list (so far) - can you guess which one?
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

Leo, thanks for reminding me of A Master Builder.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls531097535/

17 films. Might watch a few films with a low rating before deadline tho.

EDIT: Got to 18 with a new lead.
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 18th, 2022, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Opening lots of ballots. Never before in a poll on this forum has the winner been this clear before the actual countdown. :ermm:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

joachimt wrote: January 15th, 2022, 11:18 am Never before in a poll on this forum has the winner been this clear before the actual countdown. :ermm:
Most polls here end up winner a very clear, pronounced and predictable winner, no?
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:58 am Nice to see 'Pick-up' and 'Xtro' in your list. Just watched the latter a few days ago. Amazing body-horror; as though the film-makers spliced together 'ET' and 'Alien' into a gruesome yet touching concoction all of its own. Hehe, it'll be high up my list!
Oh yeah, Xtro has got some inverse, twisted E.T. vibe going on. It might make an interesting double feature, actually. Just send the kids to bed first! Pick-up I recall having some effective nightmarish and/or hallucinatory quality throughout, despite much being shot in broad daylight. The clown scene was creepy and wonderful.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

peeptoad wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:59 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:58 am Nice to see 'Pick-up' and 'Xtro' in your list. Just watched the latter a few days ago. Amazing body-horror; as though the film-makers spliced together 'ET' and 'Alien' into a gruesome yet touching concoction all of its own. Hehe, it'll be high up my list!
Oh yeah, Xtro has got some inverse, twisted E.T. vibe going on. It might make an interesting double feature, actually. Just send the kids to bed first! Pick-up I recall having some effective nightmarish and/or hallucinatory quality throughout, despite much being shot in broad daylight. The clown scene was creepy and wonderful.
According to Wiki it was shot in February 1982, and E.T. premiered at Cannes in May, so unless Davenport had a copy of the script for Spielberg's film, or was more aware of that film than you'd expect someone not connected to it (E.T. was kept pretty secret during shooting), it's rather amazing that it comes off as something like a conscious parody/reversal of that film. And yeah, it'd be an amazing double feature.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

OldAle1 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:34 pm
peeptoad wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:59 pm
According to Wiki it was shot in February 1982, and E.T. premiered at Cannes in May, so unless Davenport had a copy of the script for Spielberg's film, or was more aware of that film than you'd expect someone not connected to it (E.T. was kept pretty secret during shooting), it's rather amazing that it comes off as something like a conscious parody/reversal of that film. And yeah, it'd be an amazing double feature.
That reminds me of Dial Code Santa Claus and Home Alone...
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Torgo wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:52 pm
India Istanbul wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:42 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls537893287/

These are not ranked.
So many wonderful MST3K memories there .. :D
If you liked the MST3K version of a movie, you should vote for hat MST3K episode(, if it is eligible). Cause that is a different experience than just watching the movie.

Not saying you or anyone did vote for wrong versions, just putting this out there.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:09 am Y'all realize that we had a separate poll in 2019 for "Most Underrated", right?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4740

Sounds like some partitipants might be conflating "underrated" and "low-rated". I would encourage people to stick to their usual cutoffs when making their lists for this poll, and not lower it just to make their ballots longer (or for other reasons).

Cheers :)
Thanks, based on some remarks above it’s good indeed to remind people that this is not the underrated poll, it’s not the not-as-terrible-as-the-IMDb-rating-but-just-mediocre-to-kinda-good-but-not-really-special poll.

Great example above, if I’m correct OldAle does think Young Racers is underrated, but he doesn’t love it so he didn’t vote for it. :thumbsup:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Onderhond wrote: January 15th, 2022, 11:42 am
joachimt wrote: January 15th, 2022, 11:18 am Never before in a poll on this forum has the winner been this clear before the actual countdown. :ermm:
Most polls here end up winner a very clear, pronounced and predictable winner, no?
If a poll has been done before, yes sure. But with a new poll I can never predict which is going to win.
In this poll I think the winner is going to win with a huge margin never seen before.
ICM-profile
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

joachimt wrote: January 15th, 2022, 4:24 pm
If a poll has been done before, yes sure. But with a new poll I can never predict which is going to win.
In this poll I think the winner is going to win with a huge margin never seen before.
Even if a poll has been done before, picking the actual winner I think in many if not most cases is not easy. Look at the just-finished comedy poll - is anything in the top 5 surprising? No. But how many would have predicted the placement, given that the #1 choice was different than last time?

Here, yeah, obvious :( - I mean, if you just take the top films in the underrated poll, remove everything with a 6.0 or higher IMDb score, you'll get a good idea. And part of it is that the underrated poll was done quite recently whereas the comedy poll hadn't been done for 5 years.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

ICM
January Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Here's my small list, ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

After looking at my eligible films, this is going to be an interesting poll to say the least. Absolutely no idea what to expect out of this one.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 4:45 pm
joachimt wrote: January 15th, 2022, 4:24 pm
Even if a poll has been done before, picking the actual winner I think in many if not most cases is not easy. Look at the just-finished comedy poll - is anything in the top 5 surprising? No. But how many would have predicted the placement, given that the #1 choice was different than last time?

Here, yeah, obvious :( - I mean, if you just take the top films in the underrated poll, remove everything with a 6.0 or higher IMDb score, you'll get a good idea. And part of it is that the underrated poll was done quite recently whereas the comedy poll hadn't been done for 5 years.
re: Joachim - Beside not being 100% sure which it is (but to over 90% :D ), I like to be surprised. I usually don't even go through a whole lot of ballots before the results are counted down - don't want to be spoiled. Sometimes, like here, I wanted to get an idea where other users are going.

Even then, the results for everything outside of the Top 1 or Top 10 or what will be something fresh and hard to predict. :sweat:
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

Any idea what the half-life will be? Not too low I hope.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

insomnius wrote: January 16th, 2022, 2:35 pm Any idea what the half-life will be? Not too low I hope.
No idea yet. Depends on the average list lengths, but with many submitting (very) short lists it could be quite low.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

So far with 38 lists, the average length is 96. Median is 45/49. Not counting the extremes (shortest 10% and longest 10%), the average length is 67.

Halflife shouldn't exceed 25 if you ask me.
ICM-profile
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

joachimt wrote: January 16th, 2022, 5:50 pm So far with 38 lists, the average length is 96. Median is 45/49. Not counting the extremes (shortest 10% and longest 10%), the average length is 67.

Halflife shouldn't exceed 25 if you ask me.
Thanks. Wouldnt be surprised if the half life indeed will be beween 15-25
With this poll I think it’s good to have a lower half-life that puts the accent more on points for the top of each lists than the lower regions. Cause especially withthis list people’s top are the ones they really love and the lower regions just kinds like.
ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Here is my list:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls513948614/
(The top 22 entries are ranked)
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls530118016/

ranked

may very well add films as we go on but thought I'd put this out there and maybe see if anyone else watches anything from it!
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

Challenges in January
Image -> 60/74
Image -> 100/102 ✓
Preis der deutschen Filmkritik 46/58 -> 45/58 ✓
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

I doubt anyone is, but if anyone is following my list I have decided to cap it at 250 (for now), which is the size of most lists I do (outside of the 500<400 and the 1001 favourites). I may still reduce it but I doubt it. I'm about halfway through my eligible movies so far so a lot of movies will fall off the bottom of the list as other higher charting movies get added. This list though proves just how outside the norm my tastes like.
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

zuma wrote: January 15th, 2022, 4:34 am Leo, thanks for reminding me of A Master Builder.
It would be nice to see it make the list, not sure I've seen it on anyone else's entries, but being well-placed on two lists might be enough this time around, hard to say.