Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Sport (Results), USA (Results), 1985 (Dec 24th), UK (Dec 28th), Directors (Jan 3rd), Comedy (Jan 5th)
Challenges: Documentary, Oceania, Unofficial Checks
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

What game(s) are you playing now?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I thought Ocarina of Time showed its age when playing it like last year, but upon playing the 3DS version, and doing a "stop to smell the roses" run made me realize how special it really is.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: October 28th, 2021, 12:32 pm I thought Ocarina of Time showed its age when playing it like last year, but upon playing the 3DS version, and doing a "stop to smell the roses" run made me realize how special it really is.
I haven't played the 3DS version but I've heard it does make some quality of life improvements compared to the original N64 one.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Officially started recording, even if it was only for a few seconds (bonus points if you can figure out the game and what the rest of the skit will be)

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:22 pm Officially started recording, even if it was only for a few seconds (bonus points if you can figure out the game and what the rest of the skit will be)
It looks like you're holding a deku stick, so I'm guessing OoT? I'm not sure which character you're dressed as.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

It's Link from Breath of the Wild, but that's besides the point. Wrong game though, it's a handheld :P unfortunately it'll take a few months to finish the skit.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I just spent a couple of hours playing Baba is You. It's one of the best and most unique puzzle games that I've played, but also one of the hardest, so it sometimes gets frustrating. My only complaint is that sometimes it's confusing what the words mean, but luckily it can be looked up online.

The goal in each level to reach an object (usually a flag), but to do so you need to change the properties of objects within the level, by moving words to make phrases.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I've played a little of it! It's weird, I loved it, but also felt myself bouncing off it after about an hour? I just found myself giving up and looking up the answers too much, and at that point, what's the point? The puzzles were ingenious, but quickly just became too hard for my tiny lizard brain.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

outdoorcats wrote: November 1st, 2021, 3:36 am I've played a little of it! It's weird, I loved it, but also felt myself bouncing off it after about an hour? I just found myself giving up and looking up the answers too much, and at that point, what's the point? The puzzles were ingenious, but quickly just became too hard for my tiny lizard brain.
I'm trying to solve them on my own, but if I get stuck for more than ~5 minutes then I look up the first step (or whatever is the first step that I couldn't figure out), and try to solve the rest on my own.

I'm still at the point where I can solve more than half of them on my own, so I think I'll play it some more.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I’ve been enjoying the new Mario Party but have mostly been taking turns with my boyfriend playing online since neither of us like the AI much. Also been playing a bit of Yoshi’s Story and forgot how hard some of those levels were.

And trying to give Ocarina of Time a good go but not enjoying it so far. I’ve so far only completed the Deku Tree boss but if the game wasn’t so highly lauded I’d have chucked it in the bin by now. The controls are insanely awkward made even worse by the fact it’s not clear which Switch control buttons are for certain N64 buttons (had no idea how to use the ‘c’ buttons for a while). It’s also one of the ugliest games I’ve ever seen. But I’m hoping I can push through and perhaps these things won’t annoy me so much later in the game.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

mightysparks wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:09 pm I’ve been enjoying the new Mario Party but have mostly been taking turns with my boyfriend playing online since neither of us like the AI much. Also been playing a bit of Yoshi’s Story and forgot how hard some of those levels were.

And trying to give Ocarina of Time a good go but not enjoying it so far. I’ve so far only completed the Deku Tree boss but if the game wasn’t so highly lauded I’d have chucked it in the bin by now. The controls are insanely awkward made even worse by the fact it’s not clear which Switch control buttons are for certain N64 buttons (had no idea how to use the ‘c’ buttons for a while). It’s also one of the ugliest games I’ve ever seen. But I’m hoping I can push through and perhaps these things won’t annoy me so much later in the game.
Here's a page that lists the Switch controls: https://outsidergaming.com/the-legend-o ... -and-tips/

Using a joystick for items sounds annoying. On the N64 controller there's a separate button for each item.

Maybe you would like A Link to the Past more, since it's 2D, so you might find the controls less awkward.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Ye I’m sorta getting a grip on the controls now but it took a good few hours to work it out and adapt. I wasted so much ‘ammo’ and died many times lol. I’ve just been to the castle and met the princess and I liked that part of the game more so I’m hopeful it’ll get better from here.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

mightysparks wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 1:19 pm Ye I’m sorta getting a grip on the controls now but it took a good few hours to work it out and adapt. I wasted so much ‘ammo’ and died many times lol. I’ve just been to the castle and met the princess and I liked that part of the game more so I’m hopeful it’ll get better from here.
I think the story is the best thing about the game. Especially the ending is very good. For dungeon design and fighting I prefer A Link to the Past, but for story I prefer Ocarina of Time. I think most of the later dungeons in Ocarina of Time are better than the earlier dungeons.

Also a big part of the fun is exploring, talking to people, and doing side quests. Even before you go to the castle the first time, there are several areas that you can explore, even if you don't necessarily have to explore them to beat the game.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

mightysparks wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:09 pm I’ve been enjoying the new Mario Party but have mostly been taking turns with my boyfriend playing online since neither of us like the AI much.
I absolutely hate the AI in most Mario Party games. They straight up cheat like crazy.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

The game I've been addicted to for a couple months now is Enter the Gungeon.

It's a roguelike (technically rogue-lite if we're being elitist about the term) with some bullet hell elements where you shoot and dodge-roll through 5 levels. As rogue-likes go, if you die, you start over from the very beginning, but you accrue permanent currency every time you beat a boss which you can use to unlock better weapons, abilities and health boosts. However, once they're unlocked, it only means you have a chance of getting them in a chest - no guarantee. There's a pretty silly tone throughout, particularly in the way literally everything in the game is themed around guns and bullets to an absurd degree.

These types of games live or die for me on A. a consistent sense of some kind of progression and B. how enjoyable the gameplay loop is. Dead Cells had B down pat, but there's such a huge difficulty spike for the final boss (?) that I stopped playing it. I unlocked all of the game's useful upgrades and found everything leading up to the boss easy, even a bit tedious after a while, only to get immediately stomped. Since it took 45 minutes or so to get to him every time, it just became too boring to do the process over and over to slowly learn his moveset. The Binding of Isaac, on the other hand, worked by keeping things pretty simple. You struggle and bang your head against the wall for a while and then suddenly break through.

Enter the Gungeon is the best I've played yet. I took 100 tries to get the first basic ending, and just got a better ending after 181 tries. I've googled it and there's more, and I absolutely want to keep playing. I've spent countless hours playing this and it's still not boring. Each new weapon is either cool/unique/fun to use or just a great gag (there's insane amounts of nerdy pop culture references). Movement feels great. I usually prefer more cinematic games (with great stories or great aesthetic qualities) but this hits the sweet spot for me.

Speaking of games with addictive game loops that I've spent countless hours on lately...

This was a surprise. After all, I tried Persona 4 and bounced off it after a few hours, deciding the series wasn't for me. But Persona 5 (the basic game, not the expanded Royal version) was on sale and I gave it a try...and was pretty much immediately hooked. It's pretty much the same game as Persona 4, but in my opinion the small changes it makes in accessibility (being able to speed through scenes and times rapidly, for instance, and just overall doing a much better job tutorializing all the different elements of the game) make a huge difference. Plus, the soundtrack. I love the hell out of this game.

It's also problematic at times. Let's just say, some of your romance options are...questionable. It really wants to have it both ways with its stance on sexism/objectification, and there's a fairly ugly gay stereotype used as a gag in a couple of scenes (apparently this was excised from the Royal edition; had I known I'd like the game this much, I would have gone for it). It's one of the more flawed games I'd call a masterpiece, but I'm more or less ready to call it that, though I still have to see how it ends. There's something very satisfying about playing as idealistic rebel teens who take down corrupt and evil adults while also navigating your social life as a Japanese high schooler.

Also, Elden Ring released a 20-minute gameplay demonstration. I watched a little bit of it and decided I didn't want to see too much so I can go in blind. What little I saw looked just amazing.
in case you're curious

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I'm not 100% sure if this counts as a game, but there's a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair where you make your own film. Every step on the way from choosing the scenes for the script, filming with the different angles, editing, music, sound effects, poster, and even the tickets. There is some jank because it's for Windows 3.1, but if you wanna see here's the second film I've made so far. As you make more films you get a bigger budget and more scene options

Also, is this the best poster ever?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Oh, I wouldn't say bigger. I mean, it seems to actually work on most systems other than PC. Most of the complaints seem to be around weird misspellings and hideous updating of graphics that were hideous to begin with.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Another preview of the Zelda video

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Got distracted for a while by Dr Mario 64. I had only played the SNES version which was possibly the first video game I ever played but this was basically the same thing. I got addicted to it briefly in highschool when I got it on an emulator and I was a little addicted to it over the last week but it kept giving me headaches so I've taken a break now lol.

Instead I've been playing Far Cry 4. I LOVED Far Cry 3 and it was what got me back into gaming at the end of 2012. Great villain (I still get excited seeing Michael Mando in anything because he was amazing) and story and I loved exploring, collectibles and things like skinning animals to upgrade your bags (hadn't played a game with that kind of upgrade system before). Also the outposts. For some reason I could never get into Far Cry 4 and when it first came out I got stuck on a very early battle and never went back to it. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when I started it again. But I was determined to power through and once I got a hang of the controls and AI I found myself enjoying it a lot more. I don't like the story or villain nearly as much and I'm not particularly involved with it but it has all the other stuff I loved about the 3rd one so I've been happily enjoying that all day every day over the last few days. Last night I even dreamt that I was shooting enemies who had the little red icon above them which is always a sign I'm spending far too much time in a game lol.

Dunno how long the game is coz I have about 30 hours in it and I'm only halfway done with the campaign missions..

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I liked Far Cry 4 far more than 3 for no other reason than I just find the mountain settings cooler (especially climbing them and using photo mode, which I enjoyed more than the actual game). The stories of both of them are kind of dumb IMO. The series' stories after 3 kind of give off a "frat kid who watched Apocalypse Now" vibe. I agree that Mando was fantastic in his motion capture role and his star status still hasn't been as realized as it should (he's awesome in Better Call Saul though).
Last edited by outdoorcats on November 17th, 2021, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I've gotten back into Animal Crossing with the new 2.0 updates. Part of it is that my kids seem to like watching it too. I also played through the game The Wanderer: Frankenstein's Monster and a neat, funny platformer Reventure. Started Speed Limit but damn that game is hard.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I just played ElecHead, a new puzzle game released last month. I didn't like it as much as Baba is You (the last puzzle game that I played), but it was fun enough to play for an hour.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Been playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond over the last week. Feels nice to be back in the more oldschool feel of the games (despite the graphics upgrade). But oh god Cynthia's Garchomp... I can wipe the elite 4 and the rest of her Pokemon easily but that damn thing 1 hit KOs my entire party :'( I've been grinding the elite 4 for nearly 2 days and I still can't get past that damn thing.

Aside from that was messing around in the friends area and happened to see someone's current obsession with Picross so I decided to check out a demo of one of them and woops think I got myself addicted again.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Well gotten into another game now.. my bf bought Days Gone and I watched him play a little bit and it seemed kinda cool so thought I'd play an hour today to check it out. Four hours later I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The dialogue/characters are a bit meh but the world and gameplay are fun (standard open world but I like open world and it has zombies so cool). Using a bike to get around that takes damage, needs fuel and that enemies can hear is refreshing from unlimited cars or horses and stuff like that. Lots of things to do and the action is quite fun and gory. It looks really good too with some pretty beautiful lighting. Overall a lot of fun so far. A lot of complaints seem to be pointed at the data collection which is a bit dodgy but ain't gonna stop me.