Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Sport (Results), USA (Results), 1985 (Dec 24th), UK (Dec 28th), Directors (Jan 3rd), Comedy (Jan 5th)
Challenges: Documentary, Oceania, Unofficial Checks
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Setting up the 2022 Poll schedule - Final Poll

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Which Polls would you like to see held in 2022?

Poll ended at November 24th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Best Swansong (final directing work)
6%
Contemporary black & white films (b/w movies made after +/-1968 (exact date tbd))
6%
Detective mysteries
3%
Eastern/Asian ex-Soviet (Caucasus, Central Asia and Mongolia)
5%
Low Rating
7%
Music Videos
6%
Prison movies
5%
Romcoms
5%
The Moyen métrage (medium length films) (30 to 59 minutes)
5%
Western/European ex-Soviet (Baltics, Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova)
4%
Action Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
5%
Animated Features (combined with a separate Animated shorts poll) (previous editions held in 2019, '14 and '12, tho those were for all lenghts and types)
4%
Chinese Movies (previous edition held in 2017)
5%
Horror (previous edition held in 2018, '17, '16, '15, '14, '13 and '12)
7%
Noirs (previous edition held in 2015)
6%
Nordic movies (previous edition held in 2016)
5%
On 0 Official Lists (previous editions held in 2020, ‘18 and ‘15)
8%
Sci-fi Movies (previous edition held in 2017 and 2013)
7%

Total votes: 342

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Setting up the 2022 Poll schedule - Final Poll

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

After we first nominated options and thinned the field in the preliminarily polls, now it's time to chose which eight options will fill the remaining spots in the 2022 Poll schedule. The 18 best performing options of the two preliminarily polls made this final poll, since four tied for the 16th place.

You do not have to use all 8 votes; best is to only vote for options you yourself will actively participate in or you think we as a forum can produce a sufficient and interesting list for.

If you have any question about an option, please feel free to ask here.

For those who want an overlap with the challenges, here is the 2022 Challenge schedule:
Spoiler
2022 Challenge Schedule
MonthCountry ChallengeTheme ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Liechtenstein Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
February Southeast Asia Academy Award Nominees 366 Weird + Other Weird Lists
March Sub-Saharan Africa Directed by Women New Releases
April Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) Doubling the Canon Nominees 1990s
May China/Hong Kong/Taiwan Western Religion, Cults & Sorcercy
June Nordic countries Run the Director TSPDT + TSP 21C
July Canada Unofficial Someone Else's Top/<400 List
August Russia/USSR <400 Checks One Film From Each iCM list
September Mexico, Central America & Caribbean Silent Era Travel the World
October Indian Subcontinent Horror One Film From Each Year
November Eastern Europe - excluding Russia/Poland/Czech/Slovak/Hungary Film Noir Animation
December Turkey and Caucasus Documentary Grindhouse & Cult
After the results are in and the final 8 know in this thread we will discuss how to schedule them in. Potential ties in the results will also be discussed here to decide a winner.

If On 0 Official Lists is voted in, there will be a follow-up poll to decide about making it (bi-)annual.

There is also a separate poll about holding a favorite actors poll in 2022: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5670
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Moyen métrage and then make it official too! :banana:
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I voted for
contemporary b&w
Animation
Chinese
Horror
Noir
Nordic
0 official lists
Sci-fi

I would normally vote action too, but it's probably best to pair with a challenge in 2022.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

One additional question, for music video's do they have to be on a site? I really like some music video's but I don't think they are on IMDb.
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

Lakigigar wrote: November 11th, 2021, 7:06 am One additional question, for music video's do they have to be on a site? I really like some music video's but I don't think they are on IMDb.
I assume that it would make things much easier for whoever conducts the music video poll if all the videos voted for are listed on IMDb or ICM.

But if that the Music Videos poll is selected to be conducted in 2022, your best option would be to start getting the unlisted videos you like to be included in IMDb. I am sure there are some participants here who would be willing to help in getting some music videos listed in IMDb. (And as long as a title is listed in IMDb, ICM is willing to add it as well; see https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/add for the link there.)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

gromit82 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 7:48 am
Lakigigar wrote: November 11th, 2021, 7:06 am One additional question, for music video's do they have to be on a site? I really like some music video's but I don't think they are on IMDb.
I assume that it would make things much easier for whoever conducts the music video poll if all the videos voted for are listed on IMDb or ICM.

But if that the Music Videos poll is selected to be conducted in 2022, your best option would be to start getting the unlisted videos you like to be included in IMDb. I am sure there are some participants here who would be willing to help in getting some music videos listed in IMDb. (And as long as a title is listed in IMDb, ICM is willing to add it as well; see https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/add for the link there.)
Yes, i do have my music videos, but IMDb isn't complete in that, and it really bothers me a lot, if we are holding such a poll, that i might not be able to vote for 90% of those videos.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

gromit82 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 7:48 am

For the script to work they indeed have to be on IMDb or ICM.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Well for that reason, i don't think music video's is a good idea. How to determine a music video is good. Is the music important, or is the filming is the most important, i really don't know. All of the music video's i like are pretty weird.

I once tried to add Dream Fortress by Grimes and it still isn't added. Even though the director is Anastasia Shulepova who made a few unknown short movies as of late. I really like the style though (but it's quite arthouse-y).

With all the weird music tastes forum users here have, i really doubt there would be a consensus on music videos, if such a list is created. Most people also don't watch music videos for film purposes.

But most importantly, every music video i want to submit isn't on IMDb or ICM.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

As it stands there will be no geography based poll next year, which I find a shame. It's nice to use poll as an excuse to do a deeper dive into a country/region.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

It's a shame, but I could really use that additional year time to be able to compose a better list. Especially since I wanted to focus more on Chinese cinema (only seen 9 greater China films).

Nordic cinema, i have some i wanted to see, but it's relatively one of my better regions with 38 films seen (3 finnish, 6 norwegian, 8 icelandic, 9 swedish, 12 danish seen - i have seen more danish films than italian, spanish, dutch, USSR, greater china or australian ones), but there are plenty to be seen (esp. in Denmark, but also Ingmar Bergman's films). If we hold a Nordic list next year, i'll certainly participate, and focus a bit to watch a few more, also take a dive into Ingmar Bergman).

I hope we hold a geography challenge, it feels a bit unfair if we don't hold one, because they all lose narrowly in the poll.

The other geography ones are probably a bit too narrowfocused or specific niche lists with too little interest probably, even if it would be nice for filling the map.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

For music videos, i have a question. It seems it is currently making the cut.

Will the organizer (or the one that will organize it) help me adding music videos to IMDb and ICM so that at the very least... i can participate (lol). I would love to participate, but i don't want to if 90% of the music videos aren't going to be on either site.

Like i've tried it for my fav music video so often (and she even directs full movies now), which is Grimes - Dream Fortress.

Like for my other music video's, i'll use RYM as a guide like

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/music ... ydreaming/

this one will certainly make it (it has only 1 vote on RYM) but it'll be very high on my list.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 3:02 pm For music videos, i have a question. It seems it is currently making the cut.

Will the organizer (or the one that will organize it) help me adding music videos to IMDb and ICM so that at the very least... i can participate (lol). I would love to participate, but i don't want to if 90% of the music videos aren't going to be on either site.

Like i've tried it for my fav music video so often (and she even directs full movies now), which is Grimes - Dream Fortress.

this one will certainly make it (it has only 1 vote on RYM) but it'll be very high on my list.
There probably are people who can help or give you tips on how to add them to IMDb.

Do you have any idea why IMDb doesn’t accept your additions? Maybe you miss some required information for them?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:47 am
Lakigigar wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 3:02 pm For music videos, i have a question. It seems it is currently making the cut.

There probably are people who can help or give you tips on how to add them to IMDb.

Do you have any idea why IMDb doesn’t accept your additions? Maybe you miss some required information for them?
I don't have an IMDb account anymore. And idk, never got feedback.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Result:
On 0 Official Lists (previous editions held in 2020, ‘18 and ‘15) 27
Horror (previous edition held in 2018, '17, '16, '15, '14, '13 and '12) 24
Low Rating 23
Sci-fi Movies (previous edition held in 2017 and 2013) 23
Best Swansong (final directing work) 22
Contemporary black & white films (b/w movies made after +/-1968 (exact date tbd)) 22
Noirs (previous edition held in 2015) 21
Music Videos 19

Romcoms 18
The Moyen métrage (medium length films) (30 to 59 minutes) 18
Nordic movies (previous edition held in 2016) 18
Action Movies (previous edition held in 2016) 17
Chinese Movies (previous edition held in 2017) 17
Eastern/Asian ex-Soviet (Caucasus, Central Asia and Mongolia) 16
Prison movies 16
Western/European ex-Soviet (Baltics, Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova) 15
Animated Features (combined with a separate Animated shorts poll) (previous editions held in 2019, '14 and '12, tho those were for all lenghts and types) 15
Detective mysteries 11

So no tie to settle the final spot after all.
The first 8 made it into the schedule.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

To let polls as much as possible occur at the same time as corresponding challenges I made the following concept schedule. Would love to hear some feedback.

2022 Poll Concept schedule
JanuarySci-fi (3rd edition)
February-
March1001 Favourite Films (annual)
April-
May1990s (2nd edition)
JuneBest Swansong (final directing work)
July On 0 Official Lists
August-
September500<400 (annual)
October2000s (2nd edition)
NovemberHorror (8th edition) or Noirs (2nd edition)
December -
Directors (annual)

Still to place:
Low Rating
Contemporary black & white films (b/w movies made after +/-1968)
Music Videos
Noir or Horror

There will also be a Favorite Actors poll in 2022. But that can be held any month the host wants to. Although I would advice against holding it March or September.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Low Rating kinda makes sense in February, since that's known as a dumping month in Hollywood. Makes sense to me to do Horror in November as many will just have watched plenty of it and then Noir in December by the same logic.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

Teproc wrote: November 25th, 2021, 4:22 pm Low Rating kinda makes sense in February, since that's known as a dumping month in Hollywood. Makes sense to me to do Horror in November as many will just have watched plenty of it and then Noir in December by the same logic.
I agree with this logic. And then I would place Music Videos in August since that is the latest slot left, which gives the most time to add them to IMDb/iCM.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I would propose Low Rating in january and Sci-Fi in February to give people the time to watch Sci-fi for the Sci-Fi challenge in january. If that's not possible, there could be a slighter late deadline than usual (second week february?) with presentation in other half of february. It's possible the presentation of the director's poll might be a bit later too, because of the holidays.

I agree with music video's in august and contemporary b&w in april, and the other suggestions as well.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: November 25th, 2021, 6:58 pm I would propose Low Rating in january and Sci-Fi in February to give people the time to watch Sci-fi for the Sci-Fi challenge in january. If that's not possible, there could be a slighter late deadline than usual (second week february?) with presentation in other half of february. It's possible the presentation of the director's poll might be a bit later too, because of the holidays.

I agree with music video's in august and contemporary b&w in april, and the other suggestions as well.
I put sci-fi in January (and other ones in the same month as the corresponding challenge) so people have that whole month to watch those kind of movies for that challenge and update their list meanwhile. If the deadline is in the last weekend or days of that month everyone has enough time to do so. With the presentation soon after so people are still hyped for that kind of list due to the challenge.
I could of course place them all a month later if people agree that’s better.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 7:55 pm
Lakigigar wrote: November 25th, 2021, 6:58 pm I would propose Low Rating in january and Sci-Fi in February to give people the time to watch Sci-fi for the Sci-Fi challenge in january. If that's not possible, there could be a slighter late deadline than usual (second week february?) with presentation in other half of february. It's possible the presentation of the director's poll might be a bit later too, because of the holidays.

I put sci-fi in January (and other ones in the same month as the corresponding challenge) so people have that whole month to watch those kind of movies for that challenge and update their list meanwhile. If the deadline is in the last weekend or days of that month everyone has enough time to do so. With the presentation soon after so people are still hyped for that kind of list due to the challenge.
Yes, but it feels like it's not consistent with noir & horror which are placed a month later.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Yes, but it feels like it's not consistent with noir & horror which are placed a month later.
That's because 2000s is already placed in October. Since the decade polls are always placed in May and October. I could of course move 2000s to December (or August) and Horror to October and Noir to November.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:55 pm
That's because 2000s is already placed in October. Since the decade polls are always placed in May and October. I could of course move 2000s to December (or August) and Horror to October and Noir to November.
Horror used to be done annually, how was it done back than? It was held everyyear till 2018. Were the decade polls in May & October than? Maybe if it is tradition, some people will count on the decade polls being held than, i think (esp. people that only participate in the decade polls, and tend to lurk a bit more, or not be active every day).

Another solution is perhaps moving Best swansong to january, Sci-Fi to February and Low Rating to June, if people think Low Rating is better being held in june than in january (or february), but it's possible there's a reason why best swansong is placed in june (and i don't know what one).

Otherwise, we will just have to live with a universe that is not perfect, with sci-fi in the same month as the challenge, while horror & noir a month later. Not like we're commiting a murder by doing it that way. So certainly not a big deal.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 4:17 pm There will also be a Favorite Actors poll in 2022. But that can be held any month the host wants to. Although I would advice against holding it March or September.
December also will have two polls already, so take that into consideration. Perhaps it's interesting to take into consideration in which months the boards tend to be more active on ICM. I don't know what time periods lead to more activity, but I believe the summer months for northern hemisphere (july, august) in general are maybe not a good idea either? October might be an active month due to it being associated as the horror month (while november maybe too because of noirvember?). April-May seems a good slot too? I don't know if there are big events next year, there are the Olympic Winter Games in february (which is why the Academy Awards will be held later, i think it was somewhere in march) and there's a World Cup Football in december, but i'm not sure if this forum boards has a lot of people who are into sports or football (but for other reasons, december might not be a good idea anyway - not to mention the holidays).
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: November 26th, 2021, 2:37 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:55 pm
Horror used to be done annually, how was it done back than? It was held everyyear till 2018. Were the decade polls in May & October than? Maybe if it is tradition, some people will count on the decade polls being held than, i think (esp. people that only participate in the decade polls, and tend to lurk a bit more, or not be active every day).
Horror poll was usually done in November.
Another solution is perhaps moving Best swansong to january, Sci-Fi to February and Low Rating to June, if people think Low Rating is better being held in june than in january (or february), but it's possible there's a reason why best swansong is placed in june (and i don't know what one).
I placed Best Swansong in June because of the Run the Director challenge in June. Not as completely overlapping as other polls and challenge, but RtD might be a good incentive to watch the last movie of the director(s) people are working on for the challenge.
Teproc's reason to do Low Rating in February is as good as any to me, do you have any reasons why it's better to do it in June?
Otherwise, we will just have to live with a universe that is not perfect, with sci-fi in the same month as the challenge, while horror & noir a month later. Not like we're commiting a murder by doing it that way. So certainly not a big deal.
Are you sure it isn't murder? I don't want to stand trail, that reduces my moviewatching time :lol:
Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 4:17 pm There will also be a Favorite Actors poll in 2022. But that can be held any month the host wants to. Although I would advice against holding it March or September.
December also will have two polls already, so take that into consideration. Perhaps it's interesting to take into consideration in which months the boards tend to be more active on ICM. I don't know what time periods lead to more activity, but I believe the summer months for northern hemisphere (july, august) in general are maybe not a good idea either? October might be an active month due to it being associated as the horror month (while november maybe too because of noirvember?). April-May seems a good slot too? I don't know if there are big events next year, there are the Olympic Winter Games in february (which is why the Academy Awards will be held later, i think it was somewhere in march) and there's a World Cup Football in december, but i'm not sure if this forum boards has a lot of people who are into sports or football (but for other reasons, december might not be a good idea anyway - not to mention the holidays).
Good points.

Btw, about next month Directors poll being closed later you can ask pitchorneirda, he will be hosting it. viewtopic.php?t=1183&view=unread#unread
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Taking in all feedback:

2022 Poll Concept schedule Option 1
FebruaryLow Rating
AprilContemporary black & white films (b/w movies made after +/-1968)
May1990s (2nd edition)
July On 0 Official Lists
AugustMusic Videos
NovemberHorror (8th edition)
December Noirs (2nd edition
Directors (annual)

2022 Poll Concept schedule Option 2
FebruaryLow Rating
May1990s (2nd edition)
July On 0 Official Lists
AugustMusic Videos
OctoberHorror (8th edition)
NovemberNoirs (2nd edition)
December2000s (2nd edition)
Directors (annual)
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I prefer option 1, and switch low rating with scifi. We just had a low rating challenge in 2021, I think, so might as well give scifi that extra month so people can catch up on films they discover from other people watching them in the challenge in January.

As long as 0 Official Lists stays in July, though, I'm not too bothered. Only 1 of my 7 final ballot votes made the list, so I'll be participating in fewer polls next year. It'll be the first year in a while, perhaps since I joined the forum, that planning for polls won't be one of the biggest factors in deciding what I watch each month. :D
🧚‍♂️🦫
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:28 am It'll be the first year in a while, perhaps since I joined the forum, that planning for polls won't be one of the biggest factors in deciding what I watch each month. :D
I actually try to do that, but it seems often hard & pointless because there are an endless number of movies, and it might work somewhat demotivating, especially as i like variety and diversity and not watching one kind of movie, but I do like sci-fi. It's just there are so many movies - as with every list - and i have seen so little that I absolutely cannot watch everything, even if only the ones i want to see. Because that's simply not do-able and wouldn't be fun at all, especially considering we have plenty of other polls too (like the country top 20 polls). But i'll try to do what I can and pick some ones i want to see.

I will likely participate in sci-fi, our top list in march, 1990s, horror, 0 official lists and 2000s. They are all kind of big pool films, so except maybe for sci-fi and horror, and maybe making some picks to watch from the 1990s and the 2000s, i'm just going to watch what I want to watch and early on what is available on streaming services. That works best actually for me.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

That would make it:
2022 Poll Concept schedule Option 3
JanuaryLow Rating
FebruarySci-fi (3rd edition)
May1990s (2nd edition)
July On 0 Official Lists (4th edition)
AugustMusic Videos
December Noirs (2nd edition)
Directors (annual)

I kept Best Swansong in June and didn't move that to January, cause we/I/the host needs some time to make a masterlist of all eligible movies for that (like we did with the Debuts poll).
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

I like the look of option 3 :thumbsup:
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Works for me too.
🧚‍♂️🦫
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

Looks good to me, but please just throw in the actors poll somewhere so we don't forget it. And feel free to call it Actors & Actresses since it seems to confuse people just saying Actors.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

insomnius wrote: November 30th, 2021, 3:40 pm Looks good to me, but please just throw in the actors poll somewhere so we don't forget it. And feel free to call it Actors & Actresses since it seems to confuse people just saying Actors.
+1
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Okay, since there is no feedback anymore. This will be set. I put Favorite Actors (and Actresses) in June for now, but the host is free to chose a month that most suits them.

2022 Poll Schedule

JanuaryLow Rating
FebruarySci-fi (3rd edition)
May1990s (2nd edition)
Actors & Actresses (3rd edition)
July On 0 Official Lists (4th edition)
AugustMusic Videos
December Noirs (2nd edition)
Directors (annual)