Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Sport (Results), USA (Results), 1985 (Dec 24th), UK (Dec 28th), Directors (Jan 3rd), Comedy (Jan 5th)
Challenges: Documentary, Oceania, Unofficial Checks
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Future challenges

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

zzzorf wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:13 am Ok, well I have come up with 3 options for the rewatch rule for the one film list challenge.

A) Leave the rewatch rule as standard. Restart after watching something from all 214 lists.
B ) Have no rewatches allowed in the spirit of the challenge to help has improve on lists. Restart after all lists you don't have platinum already for
C) only allow rewatches if the player has platinum in that list to allow them them to restart after all lists.
I'm for C. But with a bit more flexibility, that a player can also restart if they finished all list they haven't platinum on yet, so that they can also chose not to have to rewatch anything. So basically that a players can also chose for option B. I agree that rewatching doesn't seem in the spirit of this challenge, which is to improve the progress on all lists, therefor against A.

Not that it will affect me personal much either.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 10:04 am
zzzorf wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:13 am Ok, well I have come up with 3 options for the rewatch rule for the one film list challenge.

A) Leave the rewatch rule as standard. Restart after watching something from all 214 lists.
B ) Have no rewatches allowed in the spirit of the challenge to help has improve on lists. Restart after all lists you don't have platinum already for
C) only allow rewatches if the player has platinum in that list to allow them them to restart after all lists.
I'm for C. But with a bit more flexibility, that a player can also restart if they finished all list they haven't platinum on yet, so that they can also chose not to have to rewatch anything. So basically that a players can also chose for option B. I agree that rewatching doesn't seem in the spirit of this challenge, which is to improve the progress on all lists, therefor against A.
I would vote for C also, though doesn't really affect me since (a) I don't have any Platinum Awards, and (b) the lists that I plan to work on are the ones where I am furthest away from a Platinum.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

maxwelldeux wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:15 am
frbrown wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:49 am

This would be my preferred option. (Not that it will affect me personally - I won't be getting anywhere near 100 films, and I doubt I'll be rewatching anything)
Ditto.
Ditto. I see no reason to overcomplicate things.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

flavo5000 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:20 pm
maxwelldeux wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:15 am
frbrown wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:49 am

This would be my preferred option. (Not that it will affect me personally - I won't be getting anywhere near 100 films, and I doubt I'll be rewatching anything)
Ditto.
Ditto. I see no reason to overcomplicate things.
Double ditto.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

sol wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:27 am
Tim2460 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:22 am Looking for an "France" Host ? I don't usually do challenges but if i can help ?
Sorry, Tim - I missed this before amid the other discussions (thanks for pointing it out, 3eyes).

You are welcome to host France if you really want to, Tim - but there is no need to feel obliged since I'm sure we would get a host either way. Hosting can be a bit work, especially for busier challenges, so I don't know if I would recommend taking it on if you going to be doing the rollout of the 500<400 and 1000<400 results in the same month. Of course, if you're cool with the extra workload that's great; otherwise we can slate you in as a backup if nobody else volunteers. What do you think?
Ok then... still working on the >400 something... let me know if you're really stuck wihout france host ,)
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I can host the France challenge, I have a few ideas for the bonus challenges as well
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

pitchorneirda wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:08 pm I can host the France challenge, I have a few ideas for the bonus challenges as well
:thumbsup: ... if you don't mind hosting two months in a row.
Long live the new flesh!
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

sol wrote: September 27th, 2021, 12:02 am
zzzorf wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:27 pmI feel the purpose of the challenge is to further ourselves along the lists but rewatches are counter-productive to that.
I think this is a very good point and I would support disallowing rewatches (for this challenge only) if everybody else is okay with that. Yes, that might make it more challenging if you have a few Platinum awards, but if nobody participating has more than 114 Platinums and nobody is looking at watching more than a hundred films, I don't think it would limit participation at all.
I am playing and I have 123 platinums and a whole bunch of lists I have seen everything thats available with subtitles. For me it would suck if rewatches weren't allowed. Not that I'm planning to watch more than 50 or so films but still... :ph43r:
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

jeroeno wrote: September 28th, 2021, 3:13 pm I am playing and I have 123 platinums and a whole bunch of lists I have seen everything thats available with subtitles. For me it would suck if rewatches weren't allowed. Not that I'm planning to watch more than 50 or so films but still... :ph43r:
Are you able to give me a more interesting stat then: how many lists are there where you have seen everything that is available subbed? Yes, there's your 123 plats, but how many lists do you think you have completed as far as is possible? Just wondering...

In any case, nice you see motivated to join in the challenge series again. B) Your participation fell off after a solid start earlier this year. :unsure:
Long live the new flesh!
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

Yeah I was hiking for five months, not a lot of time for movie challenges along the way :lol: I'll take a look for that stat you asked.
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

So I think there are 31 lists where I don't have a platinum but I've seen everything which is available online with subtitles and then there's the Thompson list where I've seen everything except The Sopranos. There's Titane on the Cannes list which may be in my local theatre next week. Also the Gouden Kalf for best picture will be announced this week and I haven't seen any of the nominees yet. :unsure:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Can I take the War movies challenge?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

blocho wrote: October 24th, 2021, 4:26 am Can I take the War movies challenge?
Sure; go ahead. :thumbsup: I was going to put out a call-out for host volunteers tomorrow, but I can reveal already that I don't want to host Noirvember. Maybe I'll be up for Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay/Paraguay (should we rename this East South America?) but we'll see. I have also been meaning to throw together a discussion thread for next year's challenge leaderboard, but I haven't felt up to that yet.
Long live the new flesh!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sol wrote: October 24th, 2021, 4:56 am
Sure; go ahead. :thumbsup:
I just realized that you hosted the last two War Movies challenges. You sure I'm not stealing this from you? I won't be sad at all if you prefer to do it again.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

blocho wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:02 am
sol wrote: October 24th, 2021, 4:56 am
Sure; go ahead. :thumbsup:
I just realized that you hosted the last two War Movies challenges. You sure I'm not stealing this from you? I won't be sad at all if you prefer to do it again.
No, it's fine, go ahead. I didn't even realise that I had hosted the last two. Besides, I think it would be easier to do an Ar/Br/Para/Uru pie chart (if I end up hosting that one) rather than a pie chart for every single war... and all fictitious ones. :blink:
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Less than a week left until November so it's time to think about next month's hosts. :sweat:

These are the challenges scheduled for November:

-- Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay/Paraguay

-- Noir

-- War
- blocho has volunteered to host this

Other volunteers?

I don't want to host NoirVember. I'll take on Ar/Br/Uy/Py if nobody else wants to. I don't know if we have any locals to the area other than jdidaco.

Also, thoughts on whether we need to rename Ar/Br/Uy/Py? Maybe 'Eastern South America' or 'Eastern South America excl. Guianas'.
Long live the new flesh!
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Oh, no. There is a War challenge next month? There goes my goal in reaching bronze on every official list this year. :facepalm:
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

sol wrote: October 25th, 2021, 3:36 pm Also, thoughts on whether we need to rename Ar/Br/Uy/Py? Maybe 'Eastern South America' or 'Eastern South America excl. Guianas'.
All four countries are full members of Mercosur. Other countries are suspended or associate/observer members.

There's also the La Plata river basin which contains parts of all four countries (plus Bolivia).
🧚‍♂️🦫
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

the Mercosur challenge would draw a crowd - of ????
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I agree with Esther. If it's not a commonly used term a well-known term internationally, it's probably advisable not to go with it.

We can just go with Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay/Paraguay because that's what we did with Germany/Australia/Switzerland in the end.

At this stage, I'd say the best options are either:

Eastern South America
Argentina/Brazil/Guays*
Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay/Paraguay

First title is the shortest; the last is the most descriptive.

* I don't know how commonly used a slang term this is, but it does appear in a few Google searches
Long live the new flesh!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Just stick with the last one then.
🧚‍♂️🦫
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Updated:

These are the challenges scheduled for November:

-- Argentina/Brazil/Uy/Py - sol has volunteered to host if nobody else wants to

-- Noir
- ?

-- War
- blocho has volunteered to host this
Long live the new flesh!
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Oh goody, if nobody wants to host Noir maybe we can dispense with it - or try Technicolor instead.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'm not worried. Noir is always a popular challenge, so there will be somebody out there looking to finish in the top 5 who will volunteer to host it. Definitely won't be my own main focus for the month though. :ph43r:

Here are some images for Argentina/Brazil/Uy/Py for everybody's approval if I end up hosting. Even if I don't end up hosting, whoever hosts can use these.

Map:

Colour-coded pie chart (colours based on flags):
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

War Challenge thread is up and ready! viewtopic.php?p=737804

I will launch the Argentina/Brazil/Uy/Py thread some time on Saturday (i.e. within the next 48 hours) unless somebody else wants to take it on instead.

Whoever is hosting Noir, I would advise also starting the thread prior to the start of the month. I imagine there might be a few questions regarding neo-noir eligibility. I have a couple of queries of my own. tehe
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Updated November challenges and hosts:

-- Argentina/Brazil/Uy/Py - sol has volunteered to host this + thread up and running :ICM:

-- Noir
- ?

-- War
- blocho has volunteered to host this + thread up and running :ICM:
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

If noone has taken it by the end of the month for me I'll host but it will be with no bonus challenge and rare op updates. I am not really competing next month but I don't want to see a challenge go bellyup because of no host. That gives about 30 hours for someone more enthusiastic to step up.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

zzzorf wrote: October 30th, 2021, 4:49 am If noone has taken it by the end of the month for me I'll host but it will be with no bonus challenge and rare op updates. I am not really competing next month but I don't want to see a challenge go bellyup because of no host. That gives about 30 hours for someone more enthusiastic to step up.
Thanks, z. I didn't volunteer myself because the challenge won't be a focus for me either, but if nobody who is hoping to win the challenge or finish in the top 5 is willing to put up their hand to host, I think it's more than acceptable to provide mere intermittent OP updates.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Depending how busy my challenge gets, I might be able to help you with keeping the OP semi-up-to-date, but yeah...

It's still not too late if somebody keen on regular OP updates (and a bonus challenge) wants to volunteer to host Noir instead.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

sacmersault wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:02 am So are Oceania/Doc/Unofficial the challenges for next month? I'm asking to prepare
As Max said, yes - and please direct future challenge questions to this thread. ;)
Long live the new flesh!
sacmersault

Post by sacmersault »

sol wrote: November 25th, 2021, 8:54 am
sacmersault wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:02 am So are Oceania/Doc/Unofficial the challenges for next month? I'm asking to prepare
As Max said, yes - and please direct future challenge questions to this thread. ;)
Thanks
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Less than a week left until December so it's time to think about next month's hosts. :ermm:

These are the challenges scheduled for December:

-- Oceania

-- Documentary

-- Unofficial

Volunteers?

I'm not really feeling in a great headspace at the moment, but I might be up to hosting the Australia/NZ challenge, especially since we generally push to have locals host regional challenges where possible. I'm not keen on hosting Documentary or Unofficial.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Side note for whoever is hosting: the tradition with the Unofficial Challenge (see 2020 and 2019 threads) is to exclude short films and individual miniseries/TV episodes. Entire TV seasons and entire miniseries can count for 1 point.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

If I end up hosting Oceania, I think I'll just do Australia, NZ and Other Oceania as columns to track. I know PNG has a bunch of documentaries, but I don't know it is really worth having it as a column of its own.
Long live the new flesh!
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Whoever hosts the unofficial and doc challenges it would be much appreciated if you could consider including the ICMForum Film Festival films in your bonus challenges.

40 of the 50 feature films in the programme are unofficial, and all 11 shorts are as well, so perhaps working through these would be a good bonus challenge for the unofficial challenge?

The documentary slate could be a good bonus for the doc challenge and there is an additional doc in the arthouse slate - Obscuro Barroco.

If whoever hosts the challenges takes these ideas on board, please let me know if it would be helpful to provide an icm list of all unofficial films in the festival and i will be happy to help out.

I think this could be a good collaboration that would encourage more people into the challenge threads and also likewise encourage more people to join in with the festival ;)
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

filmbantha wrote: November 27th, 2021, 11:19 am
The documentary slate could be a good bonus for the doc challenge and there is an additional doc in the arthouse slate - Obscuro Barroco.

Don't forget The Hidden City in the main slate.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

To be clear, I won't be holding any bonus challenges if I end up hosting Documentary or Unofficial. Those challenges are likely to be too busy for me to manage a bonus challenge while still managing work stress.

This might be a good opportunity for an iCMFFF manager to volunteer to host Documentary or Unofficial if they really want a tie-in bonus challenge in there. Shorts don't match up with Unofficial though, as mentioned above.

That said, if I end up hosting Oceania, I will include a bonus challenge that involves watching iCMFFF candidate Brother's Nest - because it's awesome. B)
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'll give it another 24 hours and if nobody else volunteers, I guess I'll throw something together for Oceania. Or if somebody volunteers for that, maybe I'll throw something together for one of the other challenges, though the last thing I feel like doing at the moment is hosting a super-busy challenge. Let's see what the next 24 hours bring. Whatever the case, it looks like I will be procrastinating the Leaderboard Feedback thread that I have been promising for even longer. Work wraps up on December 17, but hopefully I'll feel up to whacking a discussion thread together before then.
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

I don't want to make a habit of this (running a challenge every month that is) but I guess I can take Unofficial if no one else is doing it. Though again I will remind that you can't expect regular updates, I managed only to do it 3 times for Noirvember.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Thanks, z. Main thing to keep in mind with Unofficial is that individual tv eps are ineligible since close to zero tv eps are official checks in the first place.

I'm likewise a little disappointed with the slow uptake to host of late. I'm really not super excited about hosting Oceania, even though I can promote some personal favourites. I've whipped together something real quick but I don't think I'm going to commit to regular OP updates either. Work is stressful at the moment and time isn't my friend. Might not even do a first update for 96 hours. That would be record slow for me but beggars can't be choosers; if participants with more time on their hands want more regular updates then they should volunteer to host.
Long live the new flesh!