Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Sport (Results), USA (Results), 1985 (Dec 24th), UK (Dec 28th), Directors (Jan 3rd), Comedy (Jan 5th)
Challenges: Documentary, Oceania, Unofficial Checks
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Official lists updates

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lakigigar wrote: November 11th, 2021, 9:50 am It's 9.0 and more than half of it's voters are gone.
Hm, where do you get that? I'm getting a 9.6 at 69k votes for Jai Bhim in different browsers, on my smartphone in Chrome and in the IMDb app, too. Either I'm seeing an old version on each of those .. or you are seeing an even older version :)
Curious to see how this develops.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Torgo wrote: November 11th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Lakigigar wrote: November 11th, 2021, 9:50 am It's 9.0 and more than half of it's voters are gone.
Hm, where do you get that? I'm getting a 9.6 at 69k votes for Jai Bhim in different browsers, on my smartphone in Chrome and in the IMDb app, too. Either I'm seeing an old version on each of those .. or you are seeing an even older version :)
Curious to see how this develops.
Apparently i clicked on Fergenadoprido's link which was Sardar Udham. So my information was about that movie, and I was incorrect.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Jai Bhim is based on a true story and true characters. The film would feel like three films. One part is about Police brutality on unassuming, innocent oppressed tribe people for a framed case and how the tribes succumb but never give up their dignity and self respect. This part is done well and acted well. The lead actor is a lawyer, based on a real lawyer who is revered highly and went on to become a famous High court Judge, takes up their case. And the ensuing Courtroom Drama constitutes next 1/3 and its basically rubbish. Too much of a star vehicle and fan service here. Very superficial scenes as well. The final 1/3, which is not a separate part but comes throughout the film, is Marxist/Communist/Leftist ideology and blatant symbolism. This is the main reason for the very high rating of the film as it's the flavor of the youth here. Also, audience here liked its non-linear , Rashomon style storytelling.

Soorarai Pottru , done by the same lead, is another one that's based on a true story. It's just well made mainstream commercial film with its typical tropes and fan services. It came at a period where no Tamil films were released and the few that released were so horrible that even the usually lenient audience also hated them. Hence the high rating.

While I haven't watched Sardar Udham, whoever watched it sings high praise of it. I saw the trailer and it looked much better than usual Bollywood tripes. It is, of course yet another, film based on true incidents. It's basically a biopic about the famous freedom fighter Udham Singh, who killed the perpetrator of the infamous Jallianwalabagh massacre.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks for sharing tommy. Sardar Udham's already fallen out again, but my guess is the high rating is from patriotic pride. It also made me interested in reading up about the historical incident.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:20 am Another reason to get rid of the fucking IMDb lists.
No! :angry:
Nopros wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:50 am Watching shitty mafia movies to "complete" lists has always been a part of the ICM-tradition. tehe
Exactly! :thumbsup:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Master of Cinema additions;
Das indische Grabmal erster Teil - Die Sendung des Yoghi (1921)
Das indische Grabmal zweiter Teil - Der Tiger von Eschnapur (1921)

The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/masters-of-cinema/#page-1
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:57 pm Master of Cinema additions;
Das indische Grabmal erster Teil - Die Sendung des Yoghi (1921)
Das indische Grabmal zweiter Teil - Der Tiger von Eschnapur (1921)

The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/masters-of-cinema/#page-1
Updated, thanks!

The two German films are now on 3 lists, for those keeping track.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

We'll see that at the next update!
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

joachimt wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 12:45 pm New BO:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/eternals/
"BO" is applicable, because Marvel stinks. :D
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Publico's seems to be back in the official Game.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Torgo wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm96
.. is already dropping in the list
Dimitris Psachos

Post by Dimitris Psachos »

Torgo wrote: November 25th, 2021, 8:30 pm
Torgo wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm96
.. is already dropping in the list
Looked decent and well-made, with two competent, lead performances / WAY better than a handful top 50 films like those pathetic Gumps, Miles, Prestige and Life is Beautiful examples. As equal as Shawshank and Inception, while we're at it. No kidding.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Do you also prefer 3 Idiots to the named horrible mainstream trash? Just asking .. ;)
Dimitris Psachos

Torgo wrote: November 26th, 2021, 10:58 am Do you also prefer 3 Idiots to the named horrible mainstream trash? Just asking .. ;)
Equal.
I suppose P.K. or whatwasit'sname IS excruciating, no doubt on that.
But most of those (or at least from said industry) border between silly to mediocre to acceptable. I'd say 96 switches places with mediocre and acceptable, which doesn't make any difference to King's Speech or Fences silly agendas. :cowbow:
AHALE80

Post by AHALE80 »

Where is https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+edge-1968/ on the cahiers du cinema list?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

AHALE80 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:27 am Where is https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+edge-1968/ on the cahiers du cinema list?
It isn't, should it be?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:31 am
AHALE80 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:27 am Where is https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+edge-1968/ on the cahiers du cinema list?
It isn't, should it be?
It's on the list on imdb, and it's mentioned in the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahiers_d ... p_10_Lists (apparently 11 films that year, with 2 tied for 10th).

Also found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120327102 ... html#y1968

Not sure if that's a reliable source, or not, though.
🧚‍♂️🦫
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 29th, 2021, 1:24 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:31 am
It isn't, should it be?
It's on the list on imdb, and it's mentioned in the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahiers_d ... p_10_Lists (apparently 11 films that year, with 2 tied for 10th).

Also found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120327102 ... html#y1968

Not sure if that's a reliable source, or not, though.
Hmm ... this makes me think it probably ought to be there. A 10th place tie is still 10th place.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
PeacefulAnarchy

It's not even listed as 10th place, it's in 3rd. These were published in the cahiers regular issues, right? We can look up the source.
PeacefulAnarchy

OK, I just found it in Issue 211. page 10.
I'll add it tomorrow.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

It is that time of the year again, time flies !!

max-scl

Post by max-scl »

cinephage wrote: November 29th, 2021, 11:22 am It is that time of the year again, time flies !!

Cant see your image, but I gues it was the new Cahiers top 10? I updated it

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

I'm sorry, it is visible on my screen, so I thought I had it right... You are correct, this was the new Cahiers top ten.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Surprisingly mainstream this time around. They even resisted having Cry Macho on there, talk about restraint. I guess Dumont's France is a pretty hot take and La jeune fille et l'araignée is obscure enough, but still.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I’ve only heard of one, the definition of mainstream is getting weirder by the year lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

beavis

Post by beavis »

Teproc wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:33 pm... and La jeune fille et l'araignée is obscure enough, but still.
the best movie of the bunch! (from what I've seen, which is 6/10)
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I've seen 6/10. By the end of December, I'll have seen at least everything except Drive My Car. Hopefully that one, too. All that I have seen are excellent. There's no embarrassment like last year's Enormous.
Last edited by kongs_speech on November 29th, 2021, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏳️‍⚧️
Dimitris Psachos

Teproc wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:33 pm Surprisingly mainstream this time around. They even resisted having Cry Macho on there, talk about restraint. I guess Dumont's France is a pretty hot take and La jeune fille et l'araignée is obscure enough, but still.
Yup, this must be one of the "french"-est years for Cahiers, at least when counting a franco-production of an english-speaking film like Annette and the...french core of Dispach :sweat:
Last edited by Dimitris Psachos on November 29th, 2021, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

I kinda miss Titane on this list. Annette is extremely overrated.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Woohoo, glad to see The Card Counter get recognized. Best movie that I saw theatrically this year, and maybe the only 2021 movie so far that kept me thinking about it for many days after seeing it.

Really looking forward to Drive My Car, the most out of any of the films I haven’t seen yet on that Cahier list (though Benedetta should be fun).
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

mightysparks wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:44 pm I’ve only heard of one, the definition of mainstream is getting weirder by the year lol
:D Yeah, the takes on that can dramatically differ for some users ..
Obviously, The French Dispatch would be the best (most widely) known film from the list, being by Wes Anderson. For cinephiles of varying interests, but a connection to arthouse, I'd put Benedetta, The Card Counter, Annette on the same level, all by acclaimed directors beside mainstream tracks with careers of 30+ years; First Cow is about the same level or just a tad lower (Kelly Reichardt isn't such a veteran, but has gained enough credit since Wendy & Lucy and already got a ton of accolades for First Cow, gathering so many nominations at various festivals - although all of them 2020, should be the oldest film of the list). Memoria is just a tiny bit below that, also because it's still rather new and will always be more obscure because of Weera..., but he's a household name for a certain niche. Then there's Drive My Car, which can't offer a director as famous, but for which I've seen many very good reviews and feedback in cine circles on the net (RT, LB and IMDb likewise!), which is why I expect it in a best-of-list or another. Bruno Dumont of course is no complete stranger, but definitely more a Cahiers thing than my first mentioned titles & filmmakers. I have absolutely no idea about Guillaume Brac and the Zürchers and never heard of the films either.
cinephage wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:30 pm I'm sorry, it is visible on my screen, so I thought I had it right... You are correct, this was the new Cahiers top ten.
max-scl wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:25 pm Cant see your image, but I gues it was the new Cahiers top 10?
Works normal for me, btw
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Oh boy I realize I'll be getting so much flack from tr00 cinephiles for implying that absolute TITAN(e)S like Apichatpong Weerasethakul or Bruno Dumont exist in another tier of society- and film-fan-wide popularity than Alfred Hitchcock or David Fincher or Lars von Trier :$ How dare I
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:12 pm Oh boy I realize I'll be getting so much flack from tr00 cinephiles for implying that absolute TITAN(e)S like Apichatpong Weerasethakul or Bruno Dumont exist in another tier of society- and film-fan-wide popularity than Alfred Hitchcock or David Fincher or Lars von Trier :$ How dare I
Anybody who wants to claim, on this forum, that hacks like Hitchcock, FIncher, von Trier (Welles, Dreyer, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Malick, etc) are more famous and higher-tier and better-known than geniuses like Dumont, Jost, Beizai, Rainer, Askarian, Ishmukhamedov or Treehorn needs to be banned forever and reported to Interpol. As I sit here drinking from my Reza Mirakarimi coffee mug, and contemplate finally getting out of my Ulrike Ottinger underoos, and putting on my suit with my lovely Peter Tscherkassky tie, I wonder just what these fools are smoking.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I didn’t actually look at the directors until afterwards and realized most of them were names I knew, I just didn’t recognize any of the film titles except First Cow. But I realize now that WA film was mentioned in the podcast discord recently and just forgot its name and I know Sparks did soundtrack stuff for Annette so. But just a reminder of how much more out of touch I’m getting with these things.. I hadn’t heard of most of the Oscar nominated films this year either.

Dunno what tr00 means :shrug:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

"true", but c00ler
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

When I googled it I got an entry for the Pokémon move Swords Dance and then I was even more confused lol.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm geniuses like Dumont, Jost, Beizai, Rainer, Askarian, Ishmukhamedov or Treehorn
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

blocho wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:55 pm
OldAle1 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm geniuses like Dumont, Jost, Beizai, Rainer, Askarian, Ishmukhamedov or Treehorn
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women.
Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.