Welcome to the ICM Forum.

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. If the main forum isn't loading correctly, try clearing browser cache. There appears to be an issue with board emails, this should only impact registration or account recovery. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy This might take a couple of days to fix.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 41 released November 15th: The ICMForum Film Festival: Main Slate & Highlights)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: 1946 (Results), USA (Nov 28th), Sport (Nov 30th)
Challenges: Noir, War, Argentina/Brazil/Py/Uy
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The TV Lounge

DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Hirokazu Koreeda on working with netflix:

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Another rather unusual Netflix entry: There's some notable hype surrounding Arcane: League of Legends, the quite uniquely animated series based on the LoL MOBA (no need to look that up if you don't know it; it's an online video game, you know). 9.4 at 13k votes now and some raving reviews. Could this be something? I hope!
RT so far has it at 100% (yeah that's not saying a lot): "Arcane makes an arresting first impression, combining a spectacular mix of 2D and 3D animation with an emotionally compelling story to deliver a video game adaptation that could become legendary." Oh, that pun.
In an uncommon fashion for Netflix, it's released over the course of 2 weeks. It MUST be special.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

American Crime Story: Impeachment just wrapped on FX. Though it exists distantly in the shadow of the quality of The People vs. O.J. Simpson and The Assassination of Gianni Versace (two amazing miniseries), it's still pretty solid, and continues the series' tradition of 95% fact-based narratives executed in a compelling way (and through a progressive and context-heavy framework, each taking a critical eye on the social/political mores of the 1990s). Perhaps because of the adherence to what can be proven as fact, the series does tend to waffle on outright portraying Clinton as a predator (or perhaps Clinton is still too much of a golden boy). Linda Tripp is given more focus as the "villain," though in the later episodes the series ultimately humanizes her, albeit without excusing her. I also wanted way more Paula Jones. Despite its flaws, the series still floats if for no other reason than it gives Monica Lewinski a bigger platform to tell her own story - she was a producer on the show - and the way Burgess centers everything around the women, as she should.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Torgo wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:47 am Another rather unusual Netflix entry: There's some notable hype surrounding Arcane: League of Legends, the quite uniquely animated series based on the LoL MOBA (no need to look that up if you don't know it; it's an online video game, you know). 9.4 at 13k votes now and some raving reviews. Could this be something? I hope!
RT so far has it at 100% (yeah that's not saying a lot): "Arcane makes an arresting first impression, combining a spectacular mix of 2D and 3D animation with an emotionally compelling story to deliver a video game adaptation that could become legendary."
Now where the series is finished (as in "released in its entirety for the first whole season"), it's safe to safe that the hype is real. It still holds 9.4 at IMDb, but with now 54k votes, making it the #12 TV series of all time right now. That's massive. Reviews over the web, that I've read so far, are mostly super excited.
I'd really like to hear some opinions from our sometimes more critical ICM community.

My take: The animation. It's quite spectacular, unique, maybe even revolutionary. It mostly reminds me of that Spiderverse film (which I didn't love) and video game design / concept artwork / RPG-related drawings, incorporating sci-fi, fantasy and steampunk and anime inspiration - also in terms of story and darkness. The mix of 2D drawings, water colors and 3D technique and other CGI messes with your head. I had to adapt to it for a while and .. I'm not in love with it (again, like with Spidey). I could write a raving text about the look of the series and definitely admire what they've done here, but in the end stuff like Princess Kaguya or Tortue Rouge made my eyes wet and Arcane doesn't. It's too teeny and adult at the same time for me, um. Somehow. But it's something.
Also, Arcane surely is nothing for kids, not even PG-13, that's cool. There were moments especially in the earlier and middle act of the story where you could call me surprised. The problem is - I hope this is not too much of a ++ SPOILER ++ you grow accustomed to stuff like GoT, Breaking Bad, Fargo or Walking Dead after a while, huh + + SPOILER END + + .. for me it feels like a novelty in popular, NF-streamed animation, so, non-anime. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Another problem is - beside me not really feeling the animation and, um, most of the characters and story either - that some of the music is ATROCIOUS, lol. Almost all of the songs belong to the worst use of soundtrack I've seen since Divergent. Jesus Christ, the title song is from Imagine Dragons, just why? :lol: Easily costs the series a point. How much could be gained for a viewer like me with a darker soundtrack, any form of industrial, dubstep, metal .. really anything other than ID. :P

Maybe for some of the viewers for me this is a nice, greatly made series, for other, samely LoL-unexperienced viewers, it's maybe even a fantastic animated series. For fans of the game though, it could or must be a dream come true. I grant them this, I seriously do. Gamers deserve better. Give me exactly this stuff here for Diablo and I'll be spamming 10/10 reviews everywhere, hehe.

PS: What a shame Onderhond isn't reading this thread since he ignores (and mostly despises) the TV / series format. I can imagine him going nuts over the style and giving 4.0*, or 3.5*, 4.5* even?! ... or an 1.0*. :lol: I never know, but I'm curious. Check out the first 3 minutes of the first episode on Netflix, Mister Belgian, people are waiting for your input!
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

I want to watch Arcane after finishing Foundation which has been very impressive so far.

On the other hand, the Cowboy Bebop live-action was such a disapointment I dropped it after 6 episodes. While the anime had an amazing feeling of space exploration with visuals that are still very impressive today, the live-action felt so lifeless and colorless. Nothing stayed in my mind at the end of each episode. The story was boring also, had no motivation to finish it. Spike Spiegel and Jet Black were cool characters, but Faye Valetine as a lesbian girlboss had nothing to do with the character in the anime. I don't think it's terrible but when it comes to series I don't like to spend that much time on something that isn't really good.

Hellbound was pretty meh also. I liked the concept but they didn't do much with it.

This just came out, I liked the 1st season a lot.
Last edited by DareDaniel on November 24th, 2021, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

DareDaniel wrote: November 24th, 2021, 1:49 pm On the other hand, the Cowboy Bebop live-action was such a disapointment I dropped it after 6 episodes. While the anime had an amazing feeling of space exploration with visuals that are still very impressive today, the live-action felt so lifeless and colorless. Nothing got stuck in my mind at the end of each episode. The story was boring also, had no motivation to finish it. Spike Spiegel and Jet Black were cool characters, but Faye Valetine as a lesbian girlboss had nothing to do with the character in the anime. I don't think it's terrible but when it comes to series I don't like to spend that much time on something that isn't really good.
I watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop (the live action remake).

The Good: John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, the music.
The Bad *and* the Ugly: Everything else.

Considering how much it was hyped as, "no, no, this will be the GOOD anime adaptation," it's insane how bad the writing is (I know, shocking that Andre Nemec, the writer of the live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films, wasn't a good showrunner). I get the feeling some people involved are very fond of the anime, like I am - there's certainly enough easter eggs/homages/etc. - they just don't have any talent. And that's not on them, it's on Netflix, again, for not caring.

The introduction of Vicious at the end made me laugh out loud. :shrug:

John Cho is weirdly good though. I originally thought he'd be too old - and the fight scenes don't exactly disprove this - but he kinda nails the essence of Spike, or something Spike-adjacent-enough that I don't mind it with an open mind. Same for Shakir as Jet. The fact that they're good enough to overcome the sitcom-like dialogue and still be charismatic is a huge plus in their resumes.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I'm trying to watch more TV series. So far would say my favs are

1. Squid Game
2. Avatar: The Last Airbender
3. The End of the F**cking World (but have to watch season 2 yet, will do so quickly)
4. Friends
5. Vikings (two seasons left to watch, which I expect to be slightly less good)
6. The Big Bang Theory (if only for earlier seasons)
7. Lost (fun but too much focused on cliffhangers and mystery building up to eventually never become solved, or lead to new mysteries, which becomes annoying)
8. Prison Break (if only for first season, second and third were okay, fourth is 1/10 tier, and ruins everything)
9. Black Mirror (but will rise likely when I watch more, it's an anthology series tho)
10. Eigen Kweek (if only for earlier seasons)

Too Old To Die Young has a good shot of entering at first, but currently still busy watching it. I have a lot of Netflix stuff & Twin Peaks that I plan on watching. HBOMax will launch likely in Belgium somewhere next year, and at that point i'll probably watch some HBO series too.

I plan on finishing Vikings & TODTY this year, maybe will watch more Black Mirror too, and if i watch something else, it likely will be a mini-series (The Queen's Gambit, Followers, Neon Genesis Evangelion, second season of The End of the F**cking World and When They See Us i plan on watching first).

I expect Squid Game also to become a case of "if only for earlier seasons). That's the problem with TV. Except for Avatar & Friends, all follow-ups are shit i've seen. TV is a milking industry. Cow business. And film is becoming like that too (blockbusters).

TV Documentaries are usually shit too. Like usually they tell information I ALREADY know... And here's a break. After the break they start talking 5 minutes about what they told in first minutes, with the same footage being repeated over & over again, because for space documentaries, there's no budget enough to show new stuff. And it's the same over & over again.

You would think a NatGeo or Disc Channel documentary is for dumb people. The stuff they tell is usually highly speculative, or plain untrue (when i watch something about a subject that fascinates me). Listening to Mitchio Kaku for example is like going to a tent of a fortune teller. Documentaries about life aren't always that interesting, esp. if it continues for too long. And there's also too much explaining through metaphors / comparisons that usually make no sense or are ridicilous to explain your point. Too much focus on philosophy or religion usually when it is not relevant.

A simple 30 second wikipedia search tells me more about what I need to know than a 50 minute tv documentary episode usually. The average YT documentary/podcast is usually better too. FAR BETTER! (including ICM's podcasts)

A lot of documentaries are very overrated. Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey being one of them.

Best docuseries seems to be the (french) Apocalypse Series i've seen about the world wars & Hitler/Stalin because of it being not annoying and showing good video footage.

Reading on the internet works wonders while using critical thinking skills, watching tv documentaries are often a waste of time esp. concerning subjects that interest me. And books usually are a better option too (but there aren't that many available). Some books even discuss stuff that isn't found on the internet, or give an interesting look in some events from a more detailed perspective than TV ever could, as well as less sensational and more realistic/true.

I have seen movie documentaries, but they usually aren't highly informative but more film-like documentaries, more experience-based than learning-based, and much better structurized instead of deliberately cut in pieces, and often without budget issues.

PBS and BBC also are much better than NatGeo/Disc Channel, but i have no access to those. I have seen one or two Nova episodes (and a few PBS shorts on YT). I have seen no Horizon episodes. But seen a few BBC docs on one of our channels (often partially). Although i'm not that much interested in animal documentaries from David Attenborough, but i want to watch March of the Penguins someday. I do like Walking with... series. Even if somewhat dated and partially speculative, but it's good. I don't remember Wonders of the Solar System accurately well enough, but i think it was good too.

PBS Nova and BBC Horizon usually discuss more detailed themes, but it's hard to track and download what you want to see. I think i've only seen something from an Icelandic volcano and the series of Australia's geological past (lol).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nova_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_H ... )_episodes

The titles seem to suggest sensational stuff though too. Maybe I remembered it incorrectly. The Volatile Earth episodes (from those African volcanoes seem interesting) because usually documentaries about volcanoes are either Yellowstone/Vesuvius and rarely Iceland/St.Helens/Krakatoa, and never something else, so worth a watch, even if for the fact it's something different. I have to watch The Planets too, even though it's likely overrated.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

If the first episode is any indication, The Wheel of Time is the perfect antidote to Netflix's Cowboy Bebop (and The Witcher). Sure, it's high fantasy and there's plenty of cheesy high fantasy stuff. But that turned out to be exactly what I was in the mood for, as an initial 5 minutes of eye-rolling turned into fascination and engagement. It looks and sounds gorgeous throughout (this looks like something I'd like to watch in theaters), and everyone involved takes the project seriously and fully commits. That's kind of essential for this sort of thing.

I haven't read a word of the 15-book cycle, so I can't comment on faithfulness, but this appears to be made by people who love the source material and don't feel the need to apologize for it by winking at the camera every two seconds and turning it into ironic camp. After all, simplistic as it may be, there's tons of potential with the classic hero's journey. I'm actually really excited to continue this series.

DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

outdoorcats wrote: November 24th, 2021, 2:44 pm
DareDaniel wrote: November 24th, 2021, 1:49 pm On the other hand, the Cowboy Bebop live-action was such a disapointment I dropped it after 6 episodes. While the anime had an amazing feeling of space exploration with visuals that are still very impressive today, the live-action felt so lifeless and colorless. Nothing got stuck in my mind at the end of each episode. The story was boring also, had no motivation to finish it. Spike Spiegel and Jet Black were cool characters, but Faye Valetine as a lesbian girlboss had nothing to do with the character in the anime. I don't think it's terrible but when it comes to series I don't like to spend that much time on something that isn't really good.
I watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop (the live action remake).

The Good: John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, the music.
The Bad *and* the Ugly: Everything else.

Considering how much it was hyped as, "no, no, this will be the GOOD anime adaptation," it's insane how bad the writing is (I know, shocking that Andre Nemec, the writer of the live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films, wasn't a good showrunner). I get the feeling some people involved are very fond of the anime, like I am - there's certainly enough easter eggs/homages/etc. - they just don't have any talent. And that's not on them, it's on Netflix, again, for not caring.

The introduction of Vicious at the end made me laugh out loud. :shrug:

John Cho is weirdly good though. I originally thought he'd be too old - and the fight scenes don't exactly disprove this - but he kinda nails the essence of Spike, or something Spike-adjacent-enough that I don't mind it with an open mind. Same for Shakir as Jet. The fact that they're good enough to overcome the sitcom-like dialogue and still be charismatic is a huge plus in their resumes.
Vicious looks like a mix between a cosplayer and one of those bad white actors in asian movies..
Btw this is the scene that made me drop the series, I didn't know what I was watching anymore.. and yes, that's Faye Valentine :lol:

I'm enjoying Foundation a lot, just 2 more episodes to finish it. One of the best looking series I've seen so far. Really great for anyone who's in the mood for some slow sci-fi. It's helping me to clean my eyes from cowboy bebop.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

DareDaniel wrote: November 26th, 2021, 2:21 pm Btw this is the scene that made me drop the series, I didn't know what I was watching anymore.. and yes, that's Faye Valentine :lol:

That's the scene that made you drop it?? Not the writing, the camp, the cheap sets, but a scene taking a character who could have been LGBT in the original and making them LGBT? :shrug:

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

outdoorcats wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:24 pm
DareDaniel wrote: November 26th, 2021, 2:21 pm Btw this is the scene that made me drop the series, I didn't know what I was watching anymore.. and yes, that's Faye Valentine :lol:

That's the scene that made you drop it?? Not the writing, the camp, the cheap sets, but a scene taking a character who could have been LGBT in the original and making them LGBT? :shrug:
Reading how ass-mad fanboys are over that scene is hilarious, and I haven't even watched the show yet.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Oh shit, I forgot I need to be more careful with what I say in a society in which everything is so fucking offensive. :lol:

So I'm not allowed to consider that scene as part of the show's bad writing because it is an lgbt scene and as such I have to swallow it without any questions? And no, I was already forcing myself through each episode and dropped it the moment it felt like an xxx parody of cowboy bebop. That isn't my idea of the character at all, lgbt or not. I even shared just 2 days ago that I liked Euphoria, the most lgbt show that I've seen so far, so what now? :shrug:

@kongs_speech, save that dumb shit for twitter. :facepalm:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

DareDaniel wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:23 pm Oh shit, I forgot I need to be more careful with what I say in a society in which everything is so fucking offensive. :lol:

So I'm not allowed to consider that scene as part of the show's bad writing because it is an lgbt scene and as such I have to swallow it without any questions? And no, I was already forcing myself through each episode and dropped it the moment it felt like an xxx parody of cowboy bebop. That isn't my idea of the character at all, lgbt or not. I even shared just 2 days ago that I liked Euphoria, the most lgbt show that I've seen so far, so what now? :shrug:

Lmao. You, my dude, are triggered.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

DareDaniel wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:23 pmSo I'm not allowed to consider that scene as part of the show's bad writing because it is an lgbt scene and as such I have to swallow it without any questions?
Nice strawman? I merely questioned why you said that scene as opposed to the others is what caused you to stop watching.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Broke: Watching nostalgia grabs by capitalist monopolies that always disappoint people

Woke: Watching Succession, a show about capitalist media monopolies... although made by HBO who are one lol
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

It does look great. Maybe my next catch-up show?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

kongs_speech wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:28 pm
DareDaniel wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:23 pm Oh shit, I forgot I need to be more careful with what I say in a society in which everything is so fucking offensive. :lol:

Please don't post like this.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:34 am

I certainly hope that goes for DareDaniel as well.
🏳️‍⚧️
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I wasn't going to touch the live action Cowboy Bebop but yech that scene is awful. There seems to be that exact type of shot (the way the camera swoops in, the way the actors are lying in bed, the way they act/talk as they get dressed) in like every Netflix sci-fi show these days. So cringey.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

beasterne

Post by beasterne »

How to With John Wilson Season 2 premieres tonight on HBO. Everyone should check this show out, it’s fantastic. Here’s a clip from the first season:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

kongs_speech wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:39 am

It goes for anyone posting "lol triggered" "angry much" or any other dismissive empty statement, yes. Call someone out if you wish, but criticize or debate their opinions, don't mock them.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: November 27th, 2021, 3:59 am
kongs_speech wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:39 am
It goes for anyone posting "lol triggered" "angry much" or any other dismissive empty statement, yes. Call someone out if you wish, but criticize or debate their opinions, don't mock them.
Okay, then I choose to say that complaining about an LGBTQ+ character is troubling and reflects poorly regardless of the context, with no proper context having been given in DareDaniel's initial post. Again, regardless of the intent, the rhetoric is identical to that of the Facebookers who think a female character existing as anything other than scantily-clad fanservice for dudes is "too woke." Am I allowed to say this?

For the record, Netflix's Cowboy Bebop looks like shit, but certainly not because Faye is apparently a lesbian now. Also, if that scene qualifies as "like a XXX parody," we must be back in the 1950s. To draw another societal comparison, that sort of overreaction is reminiscent of the conservatives who are accusing LGBTQ+ memoirs and novels in public school libraries of being pornographic.
🏳️‍⚧️
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Idk I didn’t think DareDaniel was making any comment about an LGBT character and it wasn’t until it was suggested that’s what he had an issue with that it was even brought up :shrug:

And tbh those kinds of scenes do seem like XXX parodies, especially the ones that have a bit of grunting and groaning before we see them smiling at each other in bed lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

mightysparks wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:02 am Idk I didn’t think DareDaniel was making any comment about an LGBT character and it wasn’t until it was suggested that’s what he had an issue with that it was even brought up :shrug:

And tbh those kinds of scenes do seem like XXX parodies, especially the ones that have a bit of grunting and groaning before we see them smiling at each other in bed lol
Well, considering that he previously said "Faye Valetine as a lesbian girlboss had nothing to do with the character in the anime," the post containing the video becomes sort of a case of doubling down. There was no indication of Faye being a lesbian in the anime, I think everyone can agree to that, but why is it so horribly wrong that the Netflix series (which is not a direct, shot-for-shot adaptation) expanded upon her character? I'm tired of reading bullshit like that on Facebook, so when I see it in this environment, it warrants speaking out. In all fairness to DareDaniel, though he and I have never clicked (re: Marvel), I do not assume or believe that he is some kind of hate-fueled incel. I doubt anyone like that would want to hang out here in the first place. I see no reason to leap to a dramatic conclusion, especially since he said he likes Euphoria. (I'd enjoy that show too, if I ever watched TV.) I just think it's worth pushing back against certain narratives, even if the person who expressed the initial idea didn't have negative intentions. When referencing "ass-mad fanboys," I was speaking more to the general anti-Faye backlash, rather than Daniel's specific remarks. He chose to respond on the attack, and well, I guess that's how we got here.
🏳️‍⚧️
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Ah I didn’t see the ‘lesbian girl boss’ comment but ye the post on its own didn’t give me that impression.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

beasterne wrote: November 27th, 2021, 3:13 am How to With John Wilson Season 2 premieres tonight on HBO. Everyone should check this show out, it’s fantastic. Here’s a clip from the first season:

I just watched the season 2 premiere…just as excellent as season 1 it seems. Love this show!
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

kongs_speech wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:14 am
mightysparks wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:02 am Idk I didn’t think DareDaniel was making any comment about an LGBT character and it wasn’t until it was suggested that’s what he had an issue with that it was even brought up :shrug:

Well, considering that he previously said "Faye Valetine as a lesbian girlboss had nothing to do with the character in the anime," the post containing the video becomes sort of a case of doubling down. There was no indication of Faye being a lesbian in the anime, I think everyone can agree to that, but why is it so horribly wrong that the Netflix series (which is not a direct, shot-for-shot adaptation) expanded upon her character? I'm tired of reading bullshit like that on Facebook, so when I see it in this environment, it warrants speaking out. In all fairness to DareDaniel, though he and I have never clicked (re: Marvel), I do not assume or believe that he is some kind of hate-fueled incel. I doubt anyone like that would want to hang out here in the first place. I see no reason to leap to a dramatic conclusion, especially since he said he likes Euphoria. (I'd enjoy that show too, if I ever watched TV.) I just think it's worth pushing back against certain narratives, even if the person who expressed the initial idea didn't have negative intentions. When referencing "ass-mad fanboys," I was speaking more to the general anti-Faye backlash, rather than Daniel's specific remarks. He chose to respond on the attack, and well, I guess that's how we got here.
Calm down and go watch Euphoria or something.

I already explained that I didn't drop it for that scene alone, it's just that seeing Faye Valentine making out on the floor of a spaceship isn't my idea of cowboy bebop, among other things she said or did.

I never got mad over any bad remake, I just drop those and moved on. Honestly you sound as angry as the "mad fanboys" you find of social media, just on the other side of the coin.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Sometimes this community is really weird - and I'm not referring to the dispute above, but:
How am I the first to write about the mini-series Dopesick about America's opioid crisis? I'm certain it will be not subtle / arthousy enough for some of our crowd, but the performances of Michael Keaton and Kaitlyn Dever alone are worth a watch, if you're not already interested in the subject. The tomato site has it at 84%, LB at 4.1. I also enjoyed the sleek look. A Hulu series of today has a higher picture quality than many budgeted theatrical releases of the 00s. It's screening on Disney+ (of all services, huh) for us non-Yankees.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I watched the new South Park “Post COVID” hour-long special the other night (it’s exclusively on Paramount+ in the US), and found it quite disappointing overall, unfortunately. But it was at least kinda fun to see all of the kids as adults…very weird though at the same time.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Torgo wrote: November 28th, 2021, 3:49 am Sometimes this community is really weird - and I'm not referring to the dispute above, but:
How am I the first to write about the mini-series Dopesick about America's opioid crisis? I'm certain it will be not subtle / arthousy enough for some of our crowd, but the performances of Michael Keaton and Kaitlyn Dever alone are worth a watch, if you're not already interested in the subject. The tomato site has it at 84%, LB at 4.1. I also enjoyed the sleek look. A Hulu series of today has a higher picture quality than many budgeted theatrical releases of the 00s. It's screening on Disney+ (of all services, huh) for us non-Yankees.
I was interested but waiting to hear on more rave reviews...84% is honestly not through the roof for a TV show. As Hulu historical miniseries go, I've seen one fantastic one (Mrs. America) and one more average one (The Looming Tower).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: November 28th, 2021, 3:49 am Sometimes this community is really weird - and I'm not referring to the dispute above, but:
How am I the first to write about the mini-series Dopesick about America's opioid crisis?
Well, you are on a filmforum ...
sebby

Post by sebby »

Dopesick isn't a needlemover because the subject matter has been extensively covered in nearly every form of media and (from the outside) it seems merely a good effort but neither special nor novel in execution.

And to Onderhond's point, being a film forum there doesn't seem to be a lot of people circling around the watercooler with tv opinions. Even an ambitious and interesting project from a well-acknowledged auteur like Barry Jenkins received little to no attention here.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

My friends convinced me to give Marvel TV shows a shot, claiming they're more experimental than the features. I watched the first episode of What If...? last night, and I must say, it hooked me right in. I'm about to start the second. I could really go for a weird animated anthology series about superheroes.
🏳️‍⚧️
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

The Party Thor episode was a lot of fun. I liked the first episode of What If...? too.

I watched the first two episodes of Hawkeye and enjoyed those a lot.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Onderhond wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:34 am
How am I the first to write about the mini-series Dopesick about America's opioid crisis?
Well, you are on a filmforum ...
.. in the always active TV thread with over 2000 replies .. ;)
outdoorcats wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:10 am I was interested but waiting to hear on more rave reviews...84% is honestly not through the roof for a TV show.
You're right on that, actually it's weird seeing any (popular/acclaimed) series below 97-100% there, lol. I thought it had more hype due to the very good 8.8 on IMDb, but then, 14k votes is close to unknown .. yet? Maybe it will pick up when Europe's release on Disney+ is finished. Or it won't.
sebby wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm Even an ambitious and interesting project from a well-acknowledged auteur like Barry Jenkins received little to no attention here.
Then again, this is true. I was surprised about that.
sebby wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm Dopesick isn't a needlemover because the subject matter has been extensively covered in nearly every form of media
Mh, is that so? I mean surely it's not a new topic and I got enough about that epidemic from German newspapers, but high-profile films or shows don't come to my mind right now, not particularly on Oxy.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Decided to start watching Pokémon lol since I’ve been enjoying Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. I used to watch the show occasionally before school when I was like 12 but never really followed it closely coz it was kinda lame and the games were way better. I still feel the Same; the show is obviously for kids and is ridiculously over the top with random lines like ‘this is your last moment of freedom!’ Just before catching a Pidgey. Um geez calm down. But the Pokémon are cute and I wanna see them more so see long I can go.

I also watched the first ep of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It gets mentioned a lot on r/childfree as a horrible example of characters openly not wanting children and then forcing them to have them to fulfil the ‘breeder agenda’ but as something people loved otherwise. Found it totally unfunny and probably not gonna watch anymore of it.

sebby

Post by sebby »

Torgo wrote: November 28th, 2021, 5:27 pm Mh, is that so? I mean surely it's not a new topic and I got enough about that epidemic from German newspapers, but high-profile films or shows don't come to my mind right now, not particularly on Oxy.
Documentaries, docu-series, tv specials, news coverage, magazine articles, podcasts, books, etc. It's one of the most heavily covered news topics of the last decade that isn't celebs or war or elections.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

But then .. no acclaimed feature films or star-heavy series, right? :shifty:
sebby

Post by sebby »

Torgo wrote: Yesterday, 6:32 pm But then .. no acclaimed feature films or star-heavy series, right? :shifty:
I have no real idea about fictions films or tv shows, tbh. I don't watch that much film or tv anymore so other than what enters my bubble by choice or accident, it all passes me by. I do know there was a Jason Mamoa movie netflix was spamming recently about him fighting a big pharma company. And Crisis with Gary Oldman is about the opiod epidemic. I've seen the topic pop up in other films about Rx junkies but I can't remember them off the top of my head so I'm not sure that they were exactly centered around opiods as a focal topic. One of the most popular new podcasts is Hooked, about a white collar oxy junkie that turns to bank robbing to support his habit. It's just kind of everywhere and has been for a while.

I was more making the point that a tv show about big pharma/opiod crisis approaches something that people might be burned out on. It's part of why I'm not super motivated to watch it, whereas 10 years ago I would have been. The timing for this show may be a little off. It's kind of the anti-Erin Brockovich, a film that I believe resonated with people as much as it did bc it shined a spotlight on a corporate evil-induced crisis they weren't already aware of. There's less shock and novelty to Dopesick, and on top of that in this era of too-much prestige TV, people have to pick and choose among the good tv shows and can't watch them all like they once could, when the landscape was a bit barren.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

mightysparks wrote: Yesterday, 2:19 pm I also watched the first ep of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It gets mentioned a lot on r/childfree as a horrible example of characters openly not wanting children and then forcing them to have them to fulfil the ‘breeder agenda’ but as something people loved otherwise. Found it totally unfunny and probably not gonna watch anymore of it.
I hate to be the one to inform you, but your opinion is wrong. :lol: :P

I just thought your experience with B99 was timed coincidentally well. I'm in the middle of a binge-rewatch so I can watch the final season. I'm in S3 right now and I'm laughing out loud more than I probably should. I love that show - the humor hits me the right way. Captain Holt is the best. But I've never heard that about the "childfree" comments - I'm going to have to pay attention to that plot line once I get to it.