Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Sport (Results), USA (Results), 1985 (Dec 24th), UK (Dec 28th), Directors (Jan 3rd), Comedy (Jan 5th)
Challenges: Documentary, Oceania, Unofficial Checks
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Anyone played No Man's Sky?

Carmel1379
Donator

Anyone played No Man's Sky?

Post by Carmel1379 »

Anyone played the game No Man's Sky?
No Man's Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated universe.
It has come to my attention along with this article, and it's too exciting not to ask more about.
No Man’s Sky is an existential crisis simulator disguised as a space exploration game

It’s cold and lonely and empty and unsatisfying. It’s also worth your time.
The game sets players loose in a massive artificial universe, with 18 quintillion — yes, that’s an 18 with 18 zeros after it — fully explorable planets, each the (virtual) size of a planet in our reality. The universe is procedurally generated, meaning that its planets and creatures are “built” on the fly, as you discover them, by an all-controlling algorithm, as opposed to being custom-made by a human designer.

Unlike most games, which program individual objects to behave as desired, there’s a consistent internal physics controlling everything in the game, from the flora and fauna to the rotation of the planets. The universe in No Man’s Sky is so big that no one, including its designers, will ever see all or even most of it. Exploring every planet would take billions of years.
THE OBJECTIVE, ALWAYS, IS TO CRAFT MORE SO YOU CAN EXPLORE MORE, IN AN ENDLESS, MONOTONOUS LOOP OF NON-ACHIEVEMENT
The day after the game was released, Musk tweeted that he hoped to play it soon, musing that “maybe reality is just a series of nested simulations all the way down.” No Man’s Sky doesn’t prove this hypothesis — far from it — but it offers a glimpse of how such a concept might work, and what sorts of questions it might raise. What do you do in No Man’s Sky? What do you do in life? One possible answer is play No Man’s Sky.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on March 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arittake no yume (nikki) o kaki atsume & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies

:imdb: IMDb Revolutions :letbxd: exwordpress blue :ICM:
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

arittake no yume (nikki) o kaki atsume & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies

:imdb: IMDb Revolutions :letbxd: exwordpress blue :ICM:
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Not sure if you're active, but yes, i have played it.