Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: Sport (Results), USA (Results), 1985 (Dec 24th), UK (Dec 28th), Directors (Jan 3rd), Comedy (Jan 5th)
Challenges: Documentary, Oceania, Unofficial Checks
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

the 2009 project

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

matthewscott8 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:05 pm Found this quote today, thought you might like it: "If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars." Rabindranath Tagore
(l)
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

matthewscott8 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 9:35 pm A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop (2009 - Yimou Zhang)

A low budget wacky Chinese remake of Blood Simple set in Imperial China, in a lonely mountain inn. I saw this as Prod has mentioned it to me for some time now, he has a keen eye. It can be easy to dismiss as foolish or outlandish in its clownish tampering with the Coens' much respected original. In fact I think it is audacious and brilliant. I don't feel worthy to criticize this work, because I think Yimou Zhang knew exactly what he was doing here. Whilst many aspects of the movie are fabulous and leave me with great and beautiful memories, I found some of the sexually sadistic elements not to my taste, which means I can't call it a new favourite. It is definitely an improvement on Blood Simple, although I feel a horde of fans mobbing towards my doors with flaming torches as I write this. Whilst it's only 5.6 rated on IMDb, I did read the reviews section, and some other lonely souls definitely "got it".
Ah thanks Matt, glad you enjoyed it! I haven't seen it since it came out, so I'm glad my 14/15(?) year-old self had a key eye too lol. I don't remember the sadism, but I'd imagine it was easier to look past at that age. Zhang's generally too bombastic for my taste, but my clear favorite of his, Shadow, from a few years back, doesn't seem too generally well-received either.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

prodigalgodson wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:02 am
matthewscott8 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 9:35 pm A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop (2009 - Yimou Zhang)

A low budget wacky Chinese remake of Blood Simple set in Imperial China, in a lonely mountain inn. I saw this as Prod has mentioned it to me for some time now, he has a keen eye. It can be easy to dismiss as foolish or outlandish in its clownish tampering with the Coens' much respected original. In fact I think it is audacious and brilliant. I don't feel worthy to criticize this work, because I think Yimou Zhang knew exactly what he was doing here. Whilst many aspects of the movie are fabulous and leave me with great and beautiful memories, I found some of the sexually sadistic elements not to my taste, which means I can't call it a new favourite. It is definitely an improvement on Blood Simple, although I feel a horde of fans mobbing towards my doors with flaming torches as I write this. Whilst it's only 5.6 rated on IMDb, I did read the reviews section, and some other lonely souls definitely "got it".
Ah thanks Matt, glad you enjoyed it! I haven't seen it since it came out, so I'm glad my 14/15(?) year-old self had a key eye too lol. I don't remember the sadism, but I'd imagine it was easier to look past at that age. Zhang's generally too bombastic for my taste, but my clear favorite of his, Shadow, from a few years back, doesn't seem too generally well-received either.
Spoiler
The noodle shop owner burns his wife's back when he is in a bad mood, and gets her to pretend to be a boy for sex
Oof the trailer of Shadow looks very cool.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Precious (2009 - Lee Daniels)

This is a story about Precious, a youngster moving from girlhood to womanhood, who often retreats intro a fantasy realm after years of physical, emotional and sexual abuse. It's a story about progress, and about setbacks. I discovered that Mariah Carey (playing the role of a social worker) can act. I liked the metaphor about sometimes having to be your own light in a tunnel. Kitchen sink is not a genre I like, and the fantasy scenes seemed out of place to me, however there was some generosity of spirit in the movie that lifted my mood.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:破 / Evangerion shin gekijôban: Ha / Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (2009 - Masayuki, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Hideaki Anno)

Wow, I entered the realm of the Evangelion Rebuild, what a potent elixir! I put off entering what is quite a hermetic world, for some time. Starting on the second movie, I had to abort watches twice and read up on the references so I had a better idea of what was going on. After that I let this beast of a movie pick me up and shake me, it had a vibrancy I've only experienced in movies like Akira and Beautiful Dreamer. Now I have to see all the movies and the tv series!

I feel like I want to become steeped in the lore now, and I was dumbstruck by the creativity, and the spirit of the characters. It also spoke to me of our current impasse, we are killing the world and we need to evolve or die.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Last edited by matthewscott8 on October 31st, 2021, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

prodigalgodson wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:02 am Shadow, from a few years back, doesn't seem too generally well-received either.
No? From where I stand, it has received a lot of great reviews and people seem to generally like it a lot :)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Onderhond wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:29 am
prodigalgodson wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:02 am Shadow, from a few years back, doesn't seem too generally well-received either.
No? From where I stand, it has received a lot of great reviews and people seem to generally like it a lot :)
I too liked it and saw reactions which were more directed at "Zhang returning to his better epic roots" - as opposed to The Great Wall (2016), his most disappointing film.
He also has enough very quiet films / dramas. It's not all remixes of Hero :sweat:
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Sherlock Holmes (2009 - Guy Ritchie)

This was rather enjoyable, Downey Jr managed to not deploy his shtick to its limits and it had a great cast with a massive budget and proper production values. In the end it's all just so much piffle, but piffle of the highest quality. When I need to relax again I will watch the follow up. In terms of atmosphere not really a patch on something like Barry Levinson's Young Sherlock Holmes, if a comparator is needed, but amiable enough that its shortcomings relative to such Herculean feats are forgiven.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

matthewscott8 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 9:29 am
Spoiler
The noodle shop owner burns his wife's back when he is in a bad mood, and gets her to pretend to be a boy for sex
Oof the trailer of Shadow looks very cool.
Ahh got it.

Yesss it's like Kagemusha with way more Game of Thrones-ish intrigue and a killer payoff.
matthewscott8 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 10:06 am ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:破 / Evangerion shin gekijôban: Ha / Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (2009 - Masayuki, Kazuya Tsurumaki, Hideaki Anno)

Wow, I entered the realm of the Evangelion Rebuild, what a potent elixir! I put off entering what is quite a hermetic world, for some time. Starting on the second movie, I had to abort watches twice and read up on the references so I had a better idea of what was going on. After that I let this beast of a movie pick me up and shake me, it had a vibrancy I've only experienced in movies like Akira and Beautiful Dreamer. Now I have to see all the movies and the tv series!

I feel like I want to become steeped in the lore now, and I was dumbstruck by the creativity, and the spirit of the characters. It also spoke to me of our current impasse, we are killing the world and we need to evolve or die.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Nice Matt! This is my favorite of the rebuild flicks, and I agree with consensus that Eva's about the greatest thing ever. I think you'll get a lot out of it.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Torgo wrote: October 31st, 2021, 5:15 pm
Onderhond wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:29 am
I too liked it and saw reactions which were more directed at "Zhang returning to his better epic roots" - as opposed to The Great Wall (2016), his most disappointing film.
He also has enough very quiet films / dramas. It's not all remixes of Hero :sweat:
Ah I definitely had that impression for a reason but I can't remember why anymore lol.

I'd be curious to see his quieter films, I realized after I made that sweeping generalization I've actually seen very few of his films (I don't know why I felt I already had a good sense of him as a filmmaker). By bombast I don't necessarily mean scope though.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

matthewscott8 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 9:16 pm Sherlock Holmes (2009 - Guy Ritchie)

This was rather enjoyable, Downey Jr managed to not deploy his shtick to its limits and it had a great cast with a massive budget and proper production values. In the end it's all just so much piffle, but piffle of the highest quality. When I need to relax again I will watch the follow up. In terms of atmosphere not really a patch on something like Barry Levinson's Young Sherlock Holmes, if a comparator is needed, but amiable enough that its shortcomings relative to such Herculean feats are forgiven.
Agreed, I definitely had fun with this and Game of Shadows. Thanks for the Young Sherlock Holmes rec!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

prodigalgodson wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 8:15 pm I'd be curious to see his quieter films, I realized after I made that sweeping generalization I've actually seen very few of his films (I don't know why I felt I already had a good sense of him as a filmmaker). By bombast I don't necessarily mean scope though.
Zhang is bombast. They may not be all sprawling martial arts epics, but his drama are plenty cheesy, and anything but "small", "quiet" or "subtle". The man has an eye for color though, something that has saved many of his films for me.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

prodigalgodson wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 8:14 pmNice Matt! This is my favorite of the rebuild flicks, and I agree with consensus that Eva's about the greatest thing ever. I think you'll get a lot out of it.
there's a tour of evangelion death (true)^2 and end of evangelion in UK cinemas in a fortnight, serendipitous timing. I'm not sure what I'll think of the old stuff, now the newer animation has been tripping me. I guess everyone else starts out with the old stuff.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Onderhond wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 9:06 pm
prodigalgodson wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 8:15 pm I'd be curious to see his quieter films, I realized after I made that sweeping generalization I've actually seen very few of his films (I don't know why I felt I already had a good sense of him as a filmmaker). By bombast I don't necessarily mean scope though.
Zhang is bombast. They may not be all sprawling martial arts epics, but his drama are plenty cheesy, and anything but "small", "quiet" or "subtle". The man has an eye for color though, something that has saved many of his films for me.
Haha okay, maybe something for less sober times is what I'm getting out of this. :D
matthewscott8 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 9:23 pm there's a tour of evangelion death (true)^2 and end of evangelion in UK cinemas in a fortnight, serendipitous timing. I'm not sure what I'll think of the old stuff, now the newer animation has been tripping me. I guess everyone else starts out with the old stuff.
If you're at all able to Matt I'd strongly recommend binging the original series before you see End of Evangelion. It just won't have a shadow of the emotional impact (no pun intended) it does in context, and it'd be a shame to lose out on that on your first viewing, especially if you get to see it on the big screen. I haven't seen Death and Rebirth or whatever (I think it's just a recut of the last few episodes and some stuff from EoE), but that's awesome you'll have that opportunity! I think it'll really speak to you, even if it might be a bit past the point in life where it would be most poignant.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Really excited to dive into Evangelion. I've got the Blu-Ray box set coming this month.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

prodigalgodson wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 10:30 pm If you're at all able to Matt I'd strongly recommend binging the original series before you see End of Evangelion. It just won't have a shadow of the emotional impact (no pun intended) it does in context, and it'd be a shame to lose out on that on your first viewing, especially if you get to see it on the big screen.
Everybody will say that, and it's true.
:shifty: @impact
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

De helaasheid der dingen / The Misfortunates (2009 - Felix van Groeningen)

I fell in love with this film tonight, I adored it. A teenager grows up with his father, three uncles, and their grandmother. They all live in the same house because they didn't manage to achieve financial independence. But they love one another and so it's somewhat of a blessing and a curse. They are inappropriate slobs and boors but they are also passionate. I was reminded of Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels a lot, there's a beauty in their madness, something authentic and holy in their tedious provocations. I had such an uncle once, fierce and true to himself, toxic and loving, body a temple... to Bacchus. Life now seems airbrushed.

It was also nice to see some of the sentiments in the closing credits, the director was clearly very proud of the film and crew.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee (2009 - Shane Meadows)

Ultra low budget mockumentary shot in 5 days with the help of famous friends. Paddy Considine has a lot of fun pretending to be a roadie, and (presumably) retelling inappropriate stories he's heard from roadies before. Unserious take on a guy with a severe mindfulness deficit and his protege rapper Scor-zay-zee. At one hour and eleven minutes it doesn't outstay its welcome, but did feel entirely inconsequential.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

La Nana / The Maid (2009 - Sebastián Silva)

A verité shot project about a housemaid who has been fraying around the edges for years, and is left with a blunt affect. Gradually her own life has been disappearing and she has become an automaton in the lives of others. I found this very much a chore to watch for the first two thirds, however the emotional floodgates came down after that. A good film.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Last time I watched this, it was from Belgium and had an awfully long title :P
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

#37 (2009 - Joost Rekveld)

Ok so it feels cool to introduce people to a major film they almost certainly won't have seen, judging by its less than 5 votes received on IMDb status anyway (and zero on ICM). Exciting to have discovered this magick :banana:

#37 is composed of dramatic, cold, moving abstractions; to describe them as kaleidoscopic would trivialise their complexity and sentience. There is much magick, certain images reminded me of tiny microscopic even subatomic phenomena, others were galactic, I felt most emmeshed when the images changed imperceptibly yet fundamentally. Sometimes they were just moving geometries, sometimes, I felt like I was watching the bleaching of a Kardashev scale type II civilization, or esoteric Bodhisattvas praying in coordination, arrayed in scented parterres.

Joost Rekveld has a Bluray, so I'm very excited to explore the rest of his works, still images from which are very appetising.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

matthewscott8 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 11:28 am Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee (2009 - Shane Meadows)

Ultra low budget mockumentary shot in 5 days with the help of famous friends. Paddy Considine has a lot of fun pretending to be a roadie, and (presumably) retelling inappropriate stories he's heard from roadies before. Unserious take on a guy with a severe mindfulness deficit and his protege rapper Scor-zay-zee. At one hour and eleven minutes it doesn't outstay its welcome, but did feel entirely inconsequential.
Already on my watch list (along with all of Meadows' I haven't seen yet)... did you see this on DVD/disc or somewhere else?
matthewscott8 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 8:05 am #37 (2009 - Joost Rekveld)

Ok so it feels cool to introduce people to a major film they almost certainly won't have seen, judging by its less than 5 votes received on IMDb status anyway (and zero on ICM). Exciting to have discovered this magick :banana:

#37 is composed of dramatic, cold, moving abstractions; to describe them as kaleidoscopic would trivialise their complexity and sentience. There is much magick, certain images reminded me of tiny microscopic even subatomic phenomena, others were galactic, I felt most emmeshed when the images changed imperceptibly yet fundamentally. Sometimes they were just moving geometries, sometimes, I felt like I was watching the bleaching of a Kardashev scale type II civilization, or esoteric Bodhisattvas praying in coordination, arrayed in scented parterres.

Joost Rekveld has a Bluray, so I'm very excited to explore the rest of his works, still images from which are very appetising.
...and another to add to the watch list. :cheers:
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

peeptoad wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 11:28 am Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee (2009 - Shane Meadows)

Already on my watch list (along with all of Meadows' I haven't seen yet)... did you see this on DVD/disc or somewhere else?
I caught it on dvd. Used dvds of it are super cheap on Amazon. If you're really into Shane Meadows it's well worth seeing it as he's often on camera, and the whole thing is a bit of a jape with mates. I think my main issue is that I've met people like Le Donk, really annoying people who manage to create scenes/incidents out of nothing, lost souls with misplaced machismo and no mindfulness. So this guy came round my flat and my girlfriend at the time was his ex; he walks in the door and the first thing he did was to sexually assault me, he grabbed my balls. Like he wanted me to know that my girlfriend was still "his" or something. There is a scene where Le Donk basically does the same territoriality thing when he visits his ex. So I can't find the material funny, I can see what they're doing, but it's too real for me. There's this part of a sutra: "Bodhisattvas mahāsattva, have no fear of mad elephants. What you should fear are evil friends! Why? Because a mad elephant can only destroy your body; it cannot destroy your mind. But an evil friend can destroy both body and mind.". You see Le Donk with Sor-zay-zee and you get to thinking Le Donk is the aku-chishiki or evil friend.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

matthewscott8 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 3:56 pm
peeptoad wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm

I caught it on dvd. Used dvds of it are super cheap on Amazon. If you're really into Shane Meadows it's well worth seeing it as he's often on camera, and the whole thing is a bit of a jape with mates. I think my main issue is that I've met people like Le Donk, really annoying people who manage to create scenes/incidents out of nothing, lost souls with misplaced machismo and no mindfulness. So this guy came round my flat and my girlfriend at the time was his ex; he walks in the door and the first thing he did was to sexually assault me, he grabbed my balls. Like he wanted me to know that my girlfriend was still "his" or something. There is a scene where Le Donk basically does the same territoriality thing when he visits his ex. So I can't find the material funny, I can see what they're doing, but it's too real for me. There's this part of a sutra: "Bodhisattvas mahāsattva, have no fear of mad elephants. What you should fear are evil friends! Why? Because a mad elephant can only destroy your body; it cannot destroy your mind. But an evil friend can destroy both body and mind.". You see Le Donk with Sor-zay-zee and you get to thinking Le Donk is the aku-chishiki or evil friend.
That's a heck of a story... yikes. I can understand why you didn't find the film funny, if humor was the intent. I have found certain parts of the Meadows films I've seen so far humorous, but I personally get more a sense of perhaps ironic amusement from them more than anything else. I think some of this may be a reflection of some of Meadows' own childhood experiences, but just a guess on my part. (I read somewhere that was a victim of bullying, etc.). Love Considine though (and esp. his work with Meadows at the helm)... so I'll keep an eye out for Le Donk on the used dvd shelf. ;)
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

The Informant! (2009 - Steven Soderbergh)

A movie based on the real life story of an executive at one of the world's biggest food firms who ends up as a supergrass in a massive price-fixing scandal. He is a fugayzi, fugazi, whazy, whoozie, loop-da-loop high functioning nutjob, and the frightening thing is that because of this he fits right in. Everyone is the good guy in their own personal narrative is the scary prospect that the movie has you pondering. I remember talking to my supervisor at work and he said wouldn't it be terrible if we could all see ourselves as we truly are. Definitely felt the need for a scrub after this.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

NSFW
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009 - Rob Zombie)

A luchador called El Superbeasto with a melange of personality disorders and various other cognitive deficits, lives in a city inhabited by humans and Halloween creatures, and performs or at least attempts to perform various feats of derring-do, usually interrupted by invasive bouts of self-interest. His pole stars seem to be meat and sex. One optimistic reviewer in Film Comment wrote with great penmanship, but little credibility, that this was a return to the era of Fritz the Cat. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is a good example of a cult movie, a much abused term. There is a small group of people who love this movie, androcentrists with a love for the aesthetics of blasphemy and post-irony. For everyone else, this movie is just incredibly bad. It was gobsmacking to watch the credits and observe whole sections of names that were anglo and male. I actually started to understand some of Chuck Palahniuk's criticisms of male, hetero anglo culture, which is saying something. I did some reading up on Rob Zombie, and apparently he's vegan, and was vegetarian at the time this film was made, I don't know how he then came to fetishise hot wings so much in it.

I watched a whole load of the most promising-looking films on my watch list for Rufus' poll, and now I'm stuck doing my chore watches :lol: I need to rely on surprises now lol.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Some that I don't think I spotted yet (<400, by no of checks as of now)

Une femme pas comme les autres (Burkina Faso) - 1 - comedy, great fun
Poltory komnaty ili Sentimentalnoe puteshestvie na Rodinu / Room and a half - 39
Tamo i ovde / Here and there - 41
Palata N°6 / Ward No 6 - 50
Altiplano -78
Vision - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen - 89
For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism -109
Joueuse /Queen to play - 109
Flickan / The girl - 162
Zanan-e bedun-e mardan / Women without men (Iran) -167
Videocracy - 168 ch - uncomfortably prescient
From time to time - 195
L'affaire Farewell - 243 ch - did Cinephage mention this? also called Farewell, but there's another by that name, already mentioned.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

matthewscott8 wrote: November 14th, 2021, 5:59 pm
NSFW
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009 - Rob Zombie)

A luchador called El Superbeasto with a melange of personality disorders and various other cognitive deficits, lives in a city inhabited by humans and Halloween creatures, and performs or at least attempts to perform various feats of derring-do, usually interrupted by invasive bouts of self-interest. His pole stars seem to be meat and sex. One optimistic reviewer in Film Comment wrote with great penmanship, but little credibility, that this was a return to the era of Fritz the Cat. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is a good example of a cult movie, a much abused term. There is a small group of people who love this movie, androcentrists with a love for the aesthetics of blasphemy and post-irony. For everyone else, this movie is just incredibly bad. It was gobsmacking to watch the credits and observe whole sections of names that were anglo and male. I actually started to understand some of Chuck Palahniuk's criticisms of male, hetero anglo culture, which is saying something. I did some reading up on Rob Zombie, and apparently he's vegan, and was vegetarian at the time this film was made, I don't know how he then came to fetishise hot wings so much in it.

I watched a whole load of the most promising-looking films on my watch list for Rufus' poll, and now I'm stuck doing my chore watches :lol: I need to rely on surprises now lol.
The one Rob Zombie film I don't like. I enjoy its art style, but the humor is obnoxiously lowbrow. I remember that Film Comment review. Fritz the Cat is effortless, it's not trying at all to shock you. Ralph Bakshi is simply telling a story for adults. I love that film dearly. I just got the Blu-Ray, in fact. El Superbeasto is edgelord bullshit with only a few laughs to be had.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

3eyes wrote: November 14th, 2021, 6:03 pm Some that I don't think I spotted yet (<400, by no of checks as of now)

Une femme pas comme les autres (Burkina Faso) - 1 - comedy, great fun
Poltory komnaty ili Sentimentalnoe puteshestvie na Rodinu / Room and a half - 39
Tamo i ovde / Here and there - 41
Palata N°6 / Ward No 6 - 50
Altiplano -78
Vision - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen - 89
For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism -109
Joueuse /Queen to play - 109
Flickan / The girl - 162
Zanan-e bedun-e mardan / Women without men (Iran) -167
Videocracy - 168 ch - uncomfortably prescient
From time to time - 195
L'affaire Farewell - 243 ch - did Cinephage mention this? also called Farewell, but there's another by that name, already mentioned.
I've seen Women without men, back in 2009 in the cinema, it was quite fancied back then and played a lot, but the trail has gone cold. Shirin Neshat was a well known contemporary artist and it was a cultural event that she had decided to make a feature film. Orsolya Toth has a great performance in this movie, she really trasmits the pain felt due to male oppression. Whilst it was very communicative on the subject of gender oppression, I did feel that as a whole the movie wasn't that coherent, although having seen Mayak last night, I'd question the value of coherence more these days than I did back then. If a film speaks in fragments, it still speaks.

Some of the names are on my radar others are new, so thanks for that. Room and a half I have seen half an hour of and have been storing up as an antidote to poor watches!
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

kongs_speech wrote: November 14th, 2021, 6:38 pmThe one Rob Zombie film I don't like. I enjoy its art style, but the humor is obnoxiously lowbrow. I remember that Film Comment review. Fritz the Cat is effortless, it's not trying at all to shock you. Ralph Bakshi is simply telling a story for adults. I love that film dearly. I just got the Blu-Ray, in fact. El Superbeasto is edgelord bullshit with only a few laughs to be had.
Bingo! This is the only Rob Zombie film I've seen, so looks like a bad introduction :lol:
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

matthewscott8 wrote:I've seen Women without men, back in 2009 in the cinema, it was quite fancied back then and played a lot, but the trail has gone cold. Shirin Neshat was a well known contemporary artist and it was a cultural event that she had decided to make a feature film. Orsolya Toth has a great performance in this movie, she really trasmits the pain felt due to male oppression. Whilst it was very communicative on the subject of gender oppression, I did feel that as a whole the movie wasn't that coherent, although having seen Mayak last night, I'd question the value of coherence more these days than I did back then. If a film speaks in fragments, it still speaks.
Thanks. I must say I was drawn to the movie mainly because I remember the Mossadegh coup so vividly. (Cue that longed-for but absolutely impossible history challenge. The war challenge is the best substitute, I guess.)

I'm impressed at the way your project as grown. Are you planning a list of the films mentioned or would that be superfluous?
It would be helpful to be able to tell without scrolling thru 8 pages and counting whether a given film has already been mentioned.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

3eyes wrote: November 14th, 2021, 7:13 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:I've seen Women without men, back in 2009 in the cinema, it was quite fancied back then and played a lot, but the trail has gone cold. Shirin Neshat was a well known contemporary artist and it was a cultural event that she had decided to make a feature film. Orsolya Toth has a great performance in this movie, she really trasmits the pain felt due to male oppression. Whilst it was very communicative on the subject of gender oppression, I did feel that as a whole the movie wasn't that coherent, although having seen Mayak last night, I'd question the value of coherence more these days than I did back then. If a film speaks in fragments, it still speaks.
Thanks. I must say I was drawn to the movie mainly because I remember the Mossadegh coup so vividly. (Cue that longed-for but absolutely impossible history challenge. The war challenge is the best substitute, I guess.)

I'm impressed at the way your project as grown. Are you planning a list of the films mentioned or would that be superfluous?
It would be helpful to be able to tell without scrolling thru 8 pages and counting whether a given film has already been mentioned.
Thanks. I also get thread fatigue when it's necessary to browse and scroll multiple pages, so this is a good idea. One reason I didn't do it before is sometimes the throwing out of names has been a bit non-committal, I can't always tell whether someone is recommending a movie. I could do a few lists, (1) movies I saw (2) movies mentioned in the thread (3) movies reviewed in the thread (4) movies I did IMDb reviews of before the thread existed. (5) my watchlist, (6) various other public lists.

I've also been thinking about starting a 2008 project, because a lot of movies from critics' 2009 lists are 2008 premieres, but also to have something to move onto if the promising watches start to run out.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

3eyes wrote: November 14th, 2021, 7:13 pm

I put this in for the time being on the original post:

Resources:
ICM poll of the year 2009 methodology, ballot of 5-20 films ranked or unranked viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5659
All films mentioned in Sight and Sound magazine's end of year poll of critics (all ballots) https://www.imdb.com/list/ls032835831/
All films mentioned in Film Comment magazine's end of year poll of critics (all ballots) https://www.imdb.com/list/ls032835831/
All films mentioned in Senses of Cinema website's end of year poll of cognoscenti https://www.imdb.com/list/ls042721168/
Films I already watched (so you don't have to ask me!) https://www.imdb.com/list/ls559720996/
My long watchlist https://www.imdb.com/list/ls046389283/
Resource coming: List of films mentioned/recommended in this thread by people not including me
Resource coming: List of films reviewed in this thread
Resource coming: List of films reviewed by me on IMDb prior to this thread
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of work, though.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

3eyes wrote: November 14th, 2021, 8:44 pm Thanks! Sounds like a lot of work, though.
vade ad formicam!
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

サマーウォーズ / Samâ uôzu / Summer Wars (2009 - Mamoru Hosoda)

One of the major animated properties of 2009, this movie is about a teenaged boy who joins a large and well heeled family in the countryside for a summer interlude, as a mysterious favour for the popular girl at school. The film works best when it is grounded in this experience. At the same time all hell breaks loose in the metaverse of Oz and threatens to spill out into the real world via the Internet of Things; this large family and its guest must put aside their quarrels to combat the peril. Summer Wars is at times an intimate and beautiful movie, but as it develops it seems to gestate a crassness. The script becomes increasingly implausible, and the dialogue slides into mummery. An offensive odour seeps in as oligarchy starts to become the magic solution to Japan's problems; only fools speak out in favour of oligarchy. The song that plays over the closing credits croons rosily about the time when Zeroes flew in the sky. This is the first time I really felt the criticism I have heard before that Japanese animated culture is deployed for insidious purposes. To be fair I could make similar criticisms of many MCU properties. Zeroes were the Messerschmitts of Japan, warplanes employed to fulfil the vile death-worshipping dreams of madmen.

A wormy apple.
Last edited by matthewscott8 on November 15th, 2021, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

matthewscott8 wrote: November 14th, 2021, 9:31 pm
3eyes wrote: November 14th, 2021, 8:44 pm Thanks! Sounds like a lot of work, though.
vade ad formicam!
How vulgar! Go to the amte, ether pissemyre.
Spoiler
Wycliffe. Who also calls a divorce a "libel of forsaking."
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

3eyes wrote: November 15th, 2021, 2:38 am
matthewscott8 wrote: November 14th, 2021, 9:31 pm
vade ad formicam!
How vulgar! Go to the amte, ether pissemyre.
Spoiler
Wycliffe. Who also calls a divorce a "libel of forsaking."
Today I learnt that the word pissant comes from the smell of formic acid around an anthill, and that there was a dude called Wycliffe getting busy on protestantism before Martin luther was a gleam in his daddy's eye. A good learning day! :D
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

matthewscott8 wrote: November 15th, 2021, 12:58 am The film works best when it is grounded in this experience. At the same time all hell breaks loose in the online metaverse of Oz and threatens to spill out into the real world via the Internet of Things
I definitely liked the fantasy bits better. The rural drama was nice enough, but not on par with Ghibli and there are sooooooo many Japanese live action dramas doing the same.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Onderhond wrote: November 15th, 2021, 10:02 am
matthewscott8 wrote: November 15th, 2021, 12:58 am The film works best when it is grounded in this experience. At the same time all hell breaks loose in the online metaverse of Oz and threatens to spill out into the real world via the Internet of Things
I definitely liked the fantasy bits better. The rural drama was nice enough, but not on par with Ghibli and there are sooooooo many Japanese live action dramas doing the same.
Haha I definitely expected you to say that, and yes agree lots of others playing that register. With the fantasy bits I admired the animation work, I just felt that the time the movie starts to major on those parts coincides with the start of my concerns about its politics, and the plot starts to get a bit ridiculous in terms of coincidences, three major players in a global saga just happen to be residing under the same roof temporarily. In terms of completely separating out the fantasy elements, when I saw them in the sequence on the bluray menu, I was really excited about the movie. So yeah for sure sorry if I gave the impression that these weren't great.