Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

The Film Lounge

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Why is it that if you Google the IMDb page of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," the result lists the title as "57. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

How is this a real scene in a movie? I know no one has high expectations for Space Jam 2, but that's unbelievably bad.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 7:37 am
How is this a real scene in a movie? I know no one has high expectations for Space Jam 2, but that's unbelievably bad.
That's just the world's shittiest HBO Max commercial. :facepalm:
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 7:37 am How is this a real scene in a movie? I know no one has high expectations for Space Jam 2, but that's unbelievably bad.
Hate that this is getting such a bad press. Not because I care about the movie but because morons who whined about Lola Bunny being less sexualized [than an erotic fan art picture] are totally gonna take this as another sign of "get woke go broke". :yucky:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

monk-time wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 1:00 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 7:37 am How is this a real scene in a movie? I know no one has high expectations for Space Jam 2, but that's unbelievably bad.
Hate that this is getting such a bad press. Not because I care about the movie but because morons who whined about Lola Bunny being less sexualized [than an erotic fan art picture] are totally gonna take this as another sign of "get woke go broke". :yucky:
Speaking from a (trans) female perspective, I honestly couldn't give a fuck less if Lola is flat as a board or has double-Es. They might well have "gone woke" by removing Pepe Le Pew, but Warner Bros certainly hasn't done anything here that's legitimately progressive. I'm going to root against artless capitalist vulgarity every time. No one involved in this thing cared at all about making a quality or even watchable film.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 1:27 pm Speaking from a (trans) female perspective, I honestly couldn't give a fuck less if Lola is flat as a board or has double-Es. They might well have "gone woke" by removing Pepe Le Pew, but Warner Bros certainly hasn't done anything here that's legitimately progressive. I'm going to root against artless capitalist vulgarity every time. No one involved in this thing cared at all about making a quality or even watchable film.
I'd still prefer it not give chuds any ammunition for their abysmal arguments. Unless it's self-exploding-in-their-basement kind of ammunition.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

monk-time wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 8:12 pm
kongs_speech wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 1:27 pm Speaking from a (trans) female perspective, I honestly couldn't give a fuck less if Lola is flat as a board or has double-Es. They might well have "gone woke" by removing Pepe Le Pew, but Warner Bros certainly hasn't done anything here that's legitimately progressive. I'm going to root against artless capitalist vulgarity every time. No one involved in this thing cared at all about making a quality or even watchable film.
I'd still prefer it not give chuds any ammunition for their abysmal arguments. Unless it's self-exploding-in-their-basement kind of ammunition.
So we have to pretend Space Jam 2 is good, otherwise the incels win? :ermm:
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Dear God .. :facepalm:

Ebbywebby wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 7:33 amWhy is it that if you Google the IMDb page of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," the result lists the title as "57. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"?
This bothers me.
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑July 17th, 2021, 8:17 pm So we have to pretend Space Jam 2 is good, otherwise the incels win? :ermm:
Nah, I didn't mean that. I'd rather they make better movies. :D
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I've seen critics and nostalgic fans of the first space jam calling the sequel a dystopian mess and capitalism personified. This scene proves it. I honestly wanna see this trainwreck.
Good-Will-Harding

Post by Good-Will-Harding »

https://boburnhaminside.com/

For anyone that's not aware or would care to know, the latest Netflix "special"/"film"/however you'd like to label it by Bo Burnham (probably best known to the majority of users here as the writer/director of Eighth Grade or the adorkable love interest from Promising Young Woman) is getting a weekend-long big screen release in select theaters next weekend. Normally the average stand-up comedy special wouldn't be worth a trip to the cinema, but for anyone that's seen the film itself (personally not sure what I'd label it as... a concert film?) you're already aware of how this puppy really transcends what's usually expected out of what's essentially a series of musical/comedy sketches - which is especially impressive considering it was shot/edited/performed in a single room by the same lone individual. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it in a theater, if I can get to it any of the nights it's playing.

There isn't really a trailer for this, or at least one that does a good enough job of selling the experience of the special, so here's a series of out of context bits and pieces from the thing itself. Were I ranking this among the "actual" films I've seen from 2021 (which I may do when it comes for year-end list time), this would make the top three from what I've seen so far, easily.

And for anyone that's not quite up to going out to the theater yet, it's on Netflix now and is definitely worth checking out. :thumbsup:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I do consider Inside to be not only a film, but the best film of 2021 so far. I'd be surprised if it leaves my top spot, but we'll see.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Looks like another narcissistic attempt at making sense of covid lockdown from a bedroom with cringy songs, only over 90mins this time... I had enough of this in 2020 already.

But who knows, in ten years from now this may prove to be the best artistic testimony of the period.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

hurluberlu wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 9:02 am Looks like another narcissistic attempt at making sense of covid lockdown from a bedroom with cringy songs, only over 90mins this time... I had enough of this in 2020 already.
That's pretty much how I experienced it. Toughest watch of the year so far.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Onderhond wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 10:04 am
hurluberlu wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 9:02 am Looks like another narcissistic attempt at making sense of covid lockdown from a bedroom with cringy songs, only over 90mins this time... I had enough of this in 2020 already.
That's pretty much how I experienced it. Toughest watch of the year so far.
Wondering: Were you guys familiar with Bo Burnham's comedic styles before the Inside special?

(Note: I haven't gotten around to watching it yet)
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50
  • IMDb's Fantasy Top 50
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Kublai Khan wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 2:29 pm Wondering: Were you guys familiar with Bo Burnham's comedic styles before the Inside special?

(Note: I haven't gotten around to watching it yet)
I've seen Eight Grade, but didn't like that very much. Don't think I'd seen one of his more stand-up like material before. It's just that I hate "funny" songs that are bad songs.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Good-Will-Harding wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 1:20 am https://boburnhaminside.com/
How come you're using a new account?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

AdamH wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 9:21 pm

And for anyone that's not quite up to going out to the theater yet, it's on Netflix now and is definitely worth checking out. :thumbsup:
I can confirm that it's really GWH and that he has no dubious intentions. I know him outside of here. His old computer died and he lost the ability to get into that account.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I wasn't suspicious, just the OCD in me wants to merge it with his old account :circle:
Good-Will-Harding

Post by Good-Will-Harding »

Yeah, kong speaks the truth :$ Just some amateur technical difficulties on my part. I'm willing to try to recover the old account, or merge them, as you suggested.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

(...)
Also, why are you quoting a whole lengthy post, including a spacious Youtube preview, if you just wanted to ask a general question towards the user?
:P
Last edited by Torgo on July 19th, 2021, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Torgo wrote: ↑July 18th, 2021, 10:47 pm
Also, why are you quoting a whole lengthy post, including a spacious Youtube preview, if you just wanted to ask a general question towards the user?
:P
Not sure what you mean :ph43r: :whistling:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Those admins and their superpowers!
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Me watching Shirley:
"Is that Joaquin Phoenix behind that beard?" *checking credits* "Oh, it's Michael Stuhlbarg."
Apparently there are lots of pages on the internet comparing the two guys. The alikeness is astonishing. How are these two not related?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Mh .. somehow, yes, but I don't feel it that way. He'll always be A Serious Man for me, no matter what.
btw, his role in Fargo S03 is quite great. :D
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I've seen my first french new wave movie (unless a man escaped or le trou are considered french wave, probably they are). I've also seen le salaire de la peur [wages of fear] which is a french movie, but a bit older. And if i'm not mistaken pickpocket and one i didn't finish au hasard balthazar...

but good i finished my first french new wave movie (in a long time) which was The 500 Blows - winner of our coming-of-age poll. Good movie, interesting to see a movie from that time that was also set in a different time. In some sort again a culture shock. It was interesting with an accessible plot... but it didn't felt really extra-ordinary. It just felt quite good to me. Good final shot though... The problem is i don't have a framework of movies at that time, so it's really hard to compare with others as i don't have anything to compare it with, so i can't appreciate the true significance of a movie like that (yet).

I definitely need to watch more older movies... I certainly am going to do so... when i'm back home. I want to see Funeral Parade of Roses, M - Eine Stadt, The Bicycle Thief, The Night of the Hunter, perhaps a few western movies like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (as I actually did like the spaghetti westerns), North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, Breathless, Hiroshima mon Amour and L'annee derniere a Marienbad, and perhaps something like les innocentes. And I also want to see some movie made by DOP Kalazotov which includes Letyat Zhuravli but also Soy Cuba and Letter Never Sent, and maybe also L'avventura.

There's certainly a lot to watch, but at least i am watching movies right now.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

So I finally watched Visconti's Death in Venice tonight and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, although there are many "dangerous" boxes checked (Visconti, period drama, upperclass, very slow, classical music, pretentiousness alarm). But I don't want to discuss the content and qualities too much and just have to drop something that heavily irritated me:
This is literally a creepy old dude stalking a minor. :wacko:
Yes, I understand the metaphor, yes I know of different times (ancient Greece), yes there are more themes interwoven, but still. I find it very weird to read reviews in our age of #metoo post-Kevin Spacey where the authors don't even address that. (Yes Kevin Spacey is not fictitious, yes his case is more than just that, yes I know of the novel, IT'S STILL WEIRD you know?)

:shrug:
PeacefulAnarchy

Torgo wrote: ↑July 21st, 2021, 2:25 pm So I finally watched Visconti's Death in Venice tonight and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, although there are many "dangerous" boxes checked (Visconti, period drama, upperclass, very slow, classical music, pretentiousness alarm). But I don't want to discuss the content and qualities too much and just have to drop something that heavily irritated me:
This is literally a creepy old dude stalking a minor. :wacko:
Yes, I understand the metaphor, yes I know of different times (ancient Greece), yes there are more themes interwoven, but still. I find it very weird to read reviews in our age of #metoo post-Kevin Spacey where the authors don't even address that. (Yes Kevin Spacey is not fictitious, yes his case is more than just that, yes I know of the novel, IT'S STILL WEIRD you know?)

:shrug:
Call Me By Your Name came out literally at the same time as the Spacey allegations and very few people seemed to bat an eye about it, it got a ton of praise and awards. People are really good at compartmentalizing.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Interesting comparison, I haven't thought of that.
There's a point about that, although the manifestations differ quite much (CMBYN is an almost adult, receptive 17-yo & a 24-yo (guy sure looks 35ish); DiV is just a maybe 60ish deteriorating prof creeping on a boy who's 15 at best (and actually should have been younger) - old fella shakes when he finally gets to touch him - well wtf). But, there's a point.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Death in Venice is kinda creepy, although that's not at all why I dislike it. I don't find Call Me by Your Name problematic at all, other than how stiff and bland Armie Hammer's performance is, tainting an otherwise great film.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Torgo wrote: ↑July 21st, 2021, 2:25 pm This is literally a creepy old dude stalking a minor. :wacko:
I find it very weird to read reviews in our age of #metoo post-Kevin Spacey where the authors don't even address that.
The Lolita's adaptations haven't been canceled, (yet).
PeacefulAnarchy

True, but on the flip side DiV definitely gives creepy vibes even if has a sympathetic eye for Bogarde's character, while CMBYN is pure celebrated romance both within the film and from the intended viewer's perspective. The first is a plaintive whine about how hard it is to be a creep, the second is a celebration of how cool and good creeps are, necessary even. There's a whole lot of external context to both that gives more layered meaning to what happens within them, and there are thousands of films with similar themes with hetero relationships, so it's not like there's something uniquely creepy about either of them.

The entire topic of romance, lust and consent is complexly interwoven into the social fabric that people are very reticent to get into those topics and start making parallels. Even the most strident critics will hone in on one aspect and draw imaginary lines around it because if they start unraveling there's way too much to handle.
Torgo wrote: ↑July 21st, 2021, 2:51 pm (CMBYN is an almost adult, receptive 17-yo
So, this is a whole different, but related, can of worms. Characters are written. As such, those written characters can excuse things which would otherwise not be excusable because they consent, even though the consent is really just the writer. When you start getting into the weeds of character agency it all gets really weird, because in context things can seem ok, but they're really only ok because the writer decided to convince you it's ok. When you try to conceive of those actions outside the context of the film things are not so clean.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

joachimt wrote: ↑July 20th, 2021, 4:44 pm How are these two not related?
Well, they're not related because they're actually the same person. Michael Stuhlbarg is a persona that Joaquin Phoenix created, sort of like that time he invented a hip hop artist persona for an entire year.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑July 21st, 2021, 2:39 pm People are really good at compartmentalizing.
Pretty much. Thomas Mann himself was sexually obsessed with his prepubescent son, there's no major movement to cancel his books that I'm aware of. Likewise with Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his 13-year-old cousin, Gloria Grahame screwing her 13-year-old stepson, Alan Ginsburg's man-boy love thing, Cardi B drugging and raping partners, etc. etc. etc. There seems to be no consistency in internet-age moral outrage.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Speaking of Death in Venice, read this the other day about the actor who played the boy. Doesn't speak well for Visconti:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/j ... n-andresen

Also gave me the fun trivia that Andresen most recently played the long haired old guy in Midsommar who had a small role which you will definitely remember if you've seen the film!
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

brokenface wrote: ↑July 22nd, 2021, 6:42 am Also gave me the fun trivia that Andresen most recently played the long haired old guy in Midsommar who had a small role which you will definitely remember if you've seen the film!
HOLY Shit! :woot:
Didn't know that, good I brought up the topic here!
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

prodigalgodson wrote: ↑July 22nd, 2021, 5:47 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑July 21st, 2021, 2:39 pm People are really good at compartmentalizing.
Pretty much. Thomas Mann himself was sexually obsessed with his prepubescent son, there's no major movement to cancel his books that I'm aware of. Likewise with Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his 13-year-old cousin, Gloria Grahame screwing her 13-year-old stepson, Alan Ginsburg's man-boy love thing, Cardi B drugging and raping partners, etc. etc. etc. There seems to be no consistency in internet-age moral outrage.
Nailed it. That's why I can't get on board with "wokeness." The standards change so fast that I can't bother keeping up, especially when a lot of it knee-jerk reactionary shit anyway. I'd rather be a real progressive. Everything you mentioned is terrible, but I don't believe in cancelling people. I'd prefer not to see perverts like Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singer working, but the other day, somebody got mad at me for wishing Paul Verhoeven a happy birthday, because apparently he has one very minor, insignificant accusation of misconduct against him, decades after the fact, from someone who has a professional grudge against him. Burn him at the stake!
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

They haven't heard of those boomers anyways, so until someone makes a viral post about it on twitter they won't have heard of that stuff.

I can understand cancel culture to an extent, but I'm seeing that they fail to realize that stuff were of a different standard back then, and calling them out for it now just seems odd. Of course, the stuff prodigalgodson said is different, but the more minor things that happened before they realized that was wrong just seems strange.

This will lead to another "anti-sjw" movement, so I'm curious to see what the result of it is gonna be.

I don't think most of them are too strict actually, at least in the real world. Only met a few people which are my current roommates, and my partner's previous roommates (who is infamous in the charity they work for by coworkers and clients for how fucked up they are). The roommate said the only twitter-bad take I've heard in real life so far. She-Ra had a non-binary villain, playing some sort of mercenary. She said having a enby villain in a kid's show is just as bad as back in the 80s when they had trans women characters being rapists and serial killers.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: ↑July 22nd, 2021, 12:50 pm They haven't heard of those boomers anyways, so until someone makes a viral post about it on twitter they won't have heard of that stuff.

I can understand cancel culture to an extent, but I'm seeing that they fail to realize that stuff were of a different standard back then, and calling them out for it now just seems odd. Of course, the stuff prodigalgodson said is different, but the more minor things that happened before they realized that was wrong just seems strange.

This will lead to another "anti-sjw" movement, so I'm curious to see what the result of it is gonna be.

I don't think most of them are too strict actually, at least in the real world. Only met a few people which are my current roommates, and my partner's previous roommates (who is infamous in the charity they work for by coworkers and clients for how fucked up they are). The roommate said the only twitter-bad take I've heard in real life so far. She-Ra had a non-binary villain, playing some sort of mercenary. She said having a enby villain in a kid's show is just as bad as back in the 80s when they had trans women characters being rapists and serial killers.
Yeah, this pretty much expands upon what I'm trying to say. I don't like "anti-SJW" shit, because rather than just calling out ridiculous people for being overzealous, it almost always turns into attacking marginalized groups and lumping us all together. For people who don't pay close attention to internet sociopolitical culture, though, I can understand it, in the same way that I understand why the "poorly educated" love Trump. As someone who identifies as a trans woman and would love to be able to present herself as female someday, seeing LGBTQ+ folks be aggressive and hyper-vigilant online frustrates me, because it doesn't actually change anyone's heart or mind and only puts prejudiced people (as well as previously "undecided" people) on the defensive. If all you hear about trans people is that we're ultra-triggered SJWs, you're not going to have a positive opinion of us. I just hope society evolves to a point someday where queer people aren't all lumped together. The people who do want to be Twitter Woke have that right, and I deserve the right to identify the way I feel and not be automatically associated with them.

I feel like the average person can't perceive nuance anymore. That "all or nothing" mentality is part of Trumpism, and now it's on both sides. Look how quickly the MAGA Death Cult turns on any "RINO" who goes against Dear Leader (even Hannity is a "RINO" now for endorsing the vax). Likewise, Twitter zoomers get their kicks from sitting around hoping that a beloved celebrity will be found to have once said or done something "problematic." The people who wanted to cancel Megan Rapinoe over one mildly insensitive tweet from a decade ago can absolutely fuck off forever. We need to stop eating our own. Let the right-wingers be the only ones who do that.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

In relation to that, I just read today that the director of the opening ceremony of Tokyo 2020 was fired today (one day before the opening) because of a Holocaust joke he made ... 23 years ago.