The Unapologetically Official Queer Cinema Challenge
It's Pride month in many places around the world, so dive in and explore some queer stories.
Watch as many movies as you can that can be considered queer cinema. If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask, but generally it's a film that centres around one or more LGBTQ individuals.
- A feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
Challenge runs from 1 June 2021 to 30 June 2021 in your local timezone.
BFI Flare's The Best LGBTQ+ Films of All Time
Queer Films on Official Lists
iCM Forum's Favorite LGBT movies (top 100)
LGBT List Cross-Reference
AfterElton.com's Top 100 Greatest Gay Movies
Autostraddle's 200 Best Lesbian, Queer, and Bisexual Movies of All Time (2021)
AfterEllen.com's 50 Best Lesbian Movies
The Backlot's Top 100 Greatest Gay Movies
The Advocate's Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
Erik's Recommended GLBT Films
The Celluloid Closet: The Book
The Celluloid Closet: The Documentary
101 Must-See Movies for Gay Men
Huffington Post's LGBT Pride Films (2013)
Rotten Tomatoes 200 Best LGBT Movies of All Time
The Internet Film Club February 2014 - LGBT Cinema Watch List
Total Film's 50 Best Gay Movies
Indiewire: The 50 Most Important LGBT Films
Metro Weekly Gay Films Everyone Should See
Time Out's The 50 best gay movies: the best in LGBT film-making
Top 150 GLBT Films
Teddy Award at Berlin Film Festival
Queer Palm at Cannes Film Festival
Slant Magazine's 50 Essential LGBT Films (non-icm)
And my own passion project collecting Queer films on various lists (Google Spreadsheet)
and many more....
I've decided to run a multi-faceted bonus challenge that will hopefully encourage participants to explore beyond the latest awards-bait-gay-film-for-straight-people™ created for straight actors to receive Oscar glory.
Bonus Challenge Breakdown
2. Decades - 8 points - 1 for each decade from 1960s-2020s, and 1 for all earlier decades combined
3. Countries - 15 points - 1 for each of the top-two* queer film countries from each region (USA, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain, South Africa, Israel, Philippines, Thailand), plus 1 for each of the region excluding those 10 countries (North America, South America, Europe, Africa-Middle East*, Asia-Pacific*)
4. Personal - 2 points - 1 point for watching my favourite queer film of all time (C.R.A.Z.Y.) or for watching the best queer film based on my spreadsheet points system (My Beautiful Laundrette)
Thus, there are 30 bonus points available. After you complete one of the first three sections, only additional full cycles will count, i.e. if you watch an L, a G, a B, a T and a Q+ film and get 5 points, you'll need to watch another film from each category to get 10 points; watching 5 more lesbian films won't get you anything on their own). Is this a little complicated? Yes, but it's a bonus challenge and it's all just for fun, so just go with it.
*For the purposes of this bonus challenge, "top-two" takes into consideration not only absolute output, but also relative output. Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Iran will be the northeast boundary of Africa-Middle East (with Cyprus in Europe), and all of Oceania is grouped with the rest of Asia to form Asia-Pacific. All of this is purely subjective and arbitrary, and I've done it to balance out the regions a bit and encourage exploration.
Bonus Challenge Scoreboard
June 2015 Challenge Thread
October 2018 Challenge Thread
There's also an unofficial challenge that's been running since October 2015, albeit with slightly different parameters than the official challenges.