Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Rest in Peace

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

kongs_speech wrote: March 25th, 2021, 7:15 pm
prodigalgodson wrote: March 25th, 2021, 7:11 pm
kongs_speech wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:43 pm Now we have also lost beloved sitcom actress Jessica Walter, 80.

Arrested Development has been one of my favorite shows for such a long time. Losing one of the Bluths feels too personal. I'm genuinely upset by this.
Oh no! I've just been rewatching AD to fall asleep to recently and was just thinking last night, damn what an actress.

RIP Tavernier too, only seen a few of his films but Coup de Torchon made an enormous impression on me in high school.
I guess tonight would be a pretty good time to finally watch the Criterion DVD of Coup de Torchon that I bought at least a decade ago. It's one of Isabelle's biggest films that I have yet to see, so it also has that going for it. I haven't seen any Tavernier.
I've never seen it either, and if I don't watch it tonight I definitely will before too long as it's a DTC film. Been on my to-see list for quite a while in any case. Any film with Noiret, Huppert and Audran cannot possibly be less than good.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:17 pm French director Bertrand Tavernier, 79 :rip:
Zut alors .. :rip:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 7:11 pm But it's pretty well done and Clint uses the Carmel, CA locations well - I don't know if he lived there at the time but it definitely has a feel for place that's a cut above average for this kind of film.
I think he did. It's the town that Eastwood eventually became mayor of. I passed through about seven years ago -- just north of Big Sur, gorgeous country.

Play Misty for Me is a decent thriller, though knowing Eastwood's history with women, it feels a little yucky that his first directorial effort portrays him as the victim of a ravening lover.

On a happier note, enjoy the excellent Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth:
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Tavernier did a lot of good films, but for those interested in French film history under the Nazi Occupation, his historical film Laissez-passer (2002) is a great primer. (Other forum folks know that I also have a particularly soft spot for Daddy Nostalgie (1990).)
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

OldAle1 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:51 pm
pitchorneirda wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:17 pm French director Bertrand Tavernier, 79 :rip:
A name I've known as long as I've known the names of most French directors, since the mid-80s probably - his films always seemed to get some US distribution, unlike some of the films of his more highly-regarded and somewhat older compatriots, the New Wave directors. Like Louis Malle he wasn't really part of any particular group or movement but he didn't get quite the acclaim Malle did internationally. I've only actually seen a couple of his films, and those in the last decade, though I may have seen one or two 30 years ago and forgotten them entirely - it happens. He certainly made a major effort in more recent years as a pedagogue teaching the history of his cinema and I enjoyed his commentaries on... the Lumièes, I think. Would like to see his recent series on the history of French cinema at some point certainly. RIP, and if someone has a good appreciation - or links to others - I'd love to read it.
RIP Bertrand Tavernier.

little piece here:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/m ... -tavernier

Gives a shout-out to my favourite lesser known Tavernier - Death Watch. Recommend this as a real curio. A sci-fi made in Glasgow with Harvey Keitel and Romy Schneider. And as if that's not enough, Harry Dean Stanton and Max Von Sydow support. God knows how that ever ended up getting made.

Coup de Torchon is great, probably his strongest film of those I've seen. His French cinema history was okay, perhaps a bit dry. I only saw the 'short' 3hr doc, not the full series.

I'll add Laissez-passer to my watchlist, it can join Daddy Nostalgie which has been on there for years! Got a pretty interesting filmography all in all, tapped into a whole range of styles/genres.

And RIP Jessica Walter. Even amongst a hilarious cast on Arrested Development, she was often the standout and had the best lines and facial expressions.

Definitely a bad day when there's two names added here :(
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Few days ago Russian Operatic bass Yevgeny Nesterenko died from Covid, he was 83 :rip:

Only appropriate scene is the end of "Boris Godunov", his signature role (no subtitles).

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Larry McMurtry, 84

American writer, whose novels have been adapted to television and film many times. He wrote the source novels of Hud, The Last Picture Show, Texasville, Terms of Endearment, and Lonesome Dove.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

blocho wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:05 pm Larry McMurtry, 84

American writer, whose novels have been adapted to television and film many times. He wrote the source novels of Hud, The Last Picture Show, Texasville, Terms of Endearment, and Lonesome Dove.
Well shoot, another big name. I've seen all the famous films (and mini-series) you mention, and own several of his books including a signed 1st of Lonesome Dove, though I think I only read The last Picture Show, and that so long ago that it and the film run together. I loved his idea to create a book town in the USA, modeled on if I'm remembering rightly Hay-on-Wye in Wales, and when I took a road trip to Vegas in 1997 - the only time I've ever driven more than 50 miles west of the Mississippi - I stopped by his hometown of Archer City, TX, which he was trying to make a go of as such a place. It didn't work out too well over the long run and he sold off most of his collection a few years ago, but in 1997 it was thriving and there were lots of patrons in each of the three (I think) addresses in town, and I saw the author/owner himself, though I didn't go up to get an autography - he looked really busy. Town wasn't much different than you see it in the film The Last Picture Show, pretty dreary and desolate and gray.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Bummer. Lonesome Dove is my favorite novel.
:rip:
sebby

Post by sebby »

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

What a fucking week. Cleary's books were some of the first I ever read that didn't contain pictures. RIP.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

sebby wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:46 pm Beverly Cleary, 104

https://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story ... =311881785
A Portland legend!
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

kongs_speech wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:43 pm Now we have also lost beloved sitcom actress Jessica Walter, 80.

Arrested Development has been one of my favorite shows for such a long time. Losing one of the Bluths feels too personal. I'm genuinely upset by this.
Also, awesome as Malory Archer in another hilarious show :cry:
It's the most depressing death this year to me.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Wow, she was a centenarian at least... Henry Huggins extraordinaire :rip:
sebby

Post by sebby »

burneyfan wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:40 pm
sebby wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:46 pm Beverly Cleary, 104

https://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story ... =311881785
A Portland legend!
By sheer coincidence while I was driving around today hunting for stores that carried a specific vegan pizza (how very Portland of me) I passed by the park where there is a Beverly Cleary sculpture garden. Quite a few people were queued up taking selfies with Henry Huggins and Ramona Quimby.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Walter Olkewicz, known best as Jacques Renault

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/n ... dies-at-72
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:06 am Walter Olkewicz, known best as Jacques Renault

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/n ... dies-at-72
The curse of Twin Peaks: The Return continues. Very sad.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, 99.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

The rapper DMX too. 50 years old. Died of an overdose.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Fuck. I love "X 'Gon Give It to Ya." It was used so well in Deadpool and Rick & Morty.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Used to listen to him in my youth. Ruff Ryders Anthem is dope. He’s been in some films as well, Romeo Must Die being the biggest (?).
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Sad to hear about DMX. After the last week or so regarding his health, I guess this was inevitable. I have a lot of memories as a kid listening to him when he was huge in the late ‘90s/early 2000s.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

72aicm wrote: April 9th, 2021, 4:25 pm The rapper DMX too. 50 years old. Died of an overdose.
Shit. :rip: I love his cover of Bill Withers's "Ain't No Sunshine". He also played alongside Steven Seagal in Exit Wounds.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Helen McCrory, British actress, 52, cancer: https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/h ... -1.5990539
🧚‍♂️🦫