Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Forum Maintenance.

PeacefulAnarchy

Forum Maintenance.

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

All 4 styles should now be working.

To my knowledge the only issues remaining are the below issues due to scaling the forum in your browser. If something doesn't look right force a full refresh and clear the cache for the site on your browser. Sometimes you may need to do it a couple of times on different pages. This should fix itself on its own in a day or two regardless.

What I still need to do:
Figure out what to do about the font discussion
That huge blank space when you zoom under 90% Fixed
outdated info
I'm a little behind but the forum will be going down in a couple of hours.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but at least one hour and it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4. Some settings may change in the forum, especially in terms of styles. I'll do my best to fix these up before going back live but if anything takes longer I'll fix those up later.

I'll update the banner as we go, but at various times the site may be completely down.

Edit: If anything goes wrong bookmark this url: http://maintenance.icmforum.com/ which I will use to post updates if server issues arise.

Edit: DEC 12: OK, the forum is updated. As you can see the style sheets did not transfer over.
Known problems: video/twitter embedding isn't working. I know where the issue lies but I don't know specifically what the issue is. I hope I can fix this soon.

To my knowledge everything else should work fine. Let me know here if you notice anything not working.
Visual problems can be reported, but they're probably style sheet issues. I have a huge list of all my previous edits to rundown over the next few days. Visual problems includes: colours, borders, links in the wrong place, smilies in the wrong place, etc.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
PeacefulAnarchy

Well, as the header says, I ran into some issues which made everything take longer, so upgrade is not complete. Will be continuing either tonight or tomorrow.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Thanks for that work.
PeacefulAnarchy

Next maintenance will be Wednesday night. Hopefully that'll be the last one but there may be one more. My expectation is that once this is done we can go another couple of years with no downtime.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Thanks for doing the upkeep around here, PA.
PeacefulAnarchy

OK, today'ss version of the update went quite well, but took longer than expected. It was the trickiest part so that's good. I will do the last part in two days.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Thx PA !
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

I guess you mean the wee hours of Saturday, Dec 12?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
PeacefulAnarchy

Yes, I changed the date but not the day, I'll fix that now.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Could it be that some of the visual themes of the previous version haven't transferred? I reverted back to some other/blue theme now.
PeacefulAnarchy

OK, the forum is updated. As you can see the style sheets did not transfer over.
I have all the data for them, I will fix/recreate them over the weekend, but the forum should all work fine in the meantime, so we'll have to live with this colour scheme for a bit.

Known problems: video/twitter embedding isn't working. I know where the issue lies but I don't know specifically what the issue is. I hope I can fix this soon.

To my knowledge everything else should work fine. Let me know here if you notice anything not working.
PeacefulAnarchy

Onderhond wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:11 am Could it be that some of the visual themes of the previous version haven't transferred? I reverted back to some other/blue theme now.
Yeah those are the style things to be fixed. PHPBB says most themes should be compatible, but that seems to be a lie. I'll try to see if there's an obvious solution I missed. If not I'll fix it the long way as I have a list of all the edits I made, but if I have to do that it'll take a day or two.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Do I need to re-upload my avatar?
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

No button for Active Topics. I know it's technically "the devil" but I like it.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

sol wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:15 am Do I need to re-upload my avatar?
I noticed that, I'll get you an answer in a bit. It might just be a setting that got changed.
sol wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:18 am No button for Active Topics. I know it's technically "the devil" but I like it.
Active topics is there in the quick links menu. I had pulled it out into its own button on the previous style sheets.
Anything that works but is in the wrong place or colour is a style sheet issue.
Missing things may or may not be style sheet issues.
PeacefulAnarchy

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:23 am Avatars fixed
:worship:
Image Image Image
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Incredible work PA!

Getting closer to iCinema Magazine every day!

Stay tuned folks.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Me this morning on the forum, is it 2017 ? Did 2020 even exist ?

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Peaceful: Thanks for the behind the scenes work and dealing with our questions. :cheers:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:20 am
sol wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:15 am Do I need to re-upload my avatar?
I noticed that, I'll get you an answer in a bit. It might just be a setting that got changed.
sol wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:18 am No button for Active Topics. I know it's technically "the devil" but I like it.
Active topics is there in the quick links menu. I had pulled it out into its own button on the previous style sheets.
Anything that works but is in the wrong place or colour is a style sheet issue.
Missing things may or may not be style sheet issues.
I had saved a link to active topics on my button bar and didn't even notice it wasn't there until Sol pointed it out. :lol:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

okay, something that's kind of annoying: previously I had a column (second) display which sub-forum the thread is in. While I see this information under the thread title, it's a bit harder to find. I'd generally look at the second column, if it says "challenges" I just scan down until it doesn't. Then I'd look to the left to see if it's a topic I follow.

Without a shortcut, reading every thread title (even in Active Topics) is a bit less cool. And since the subforum's not always in the same place (though it seems to always be last) it's harder to find.

Maybe this is a template issue that will be fixed when that problem gets resolved.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

We also seem to be starting with post 1 of each thread!

By this I mean, when I click on the thread title (like I've done since we left the prior host) I brings me to the first unread topic. This doesn't seem to be working.

So far I'm not finding how to update this setting myself and can't remember if it was something I had to select in the various options.

edit: yeah, each time I open this thread I start at post 1
PeacefulAnarchy

Yes, those are all default behaviours I had modified, now I get to do it again.
It's good that you mention it though, because I didn't remember until you did (though it should all be written down in my notes).
PeacefulAnarchy

OK, I installed the base styles for what we had before. The colours are still all a mess and all the little edits are gone, but they're all better than what that default we just had was. I will fix over the next couple of days.
Pro silver SE is the default but with a toned down colour scheme, it was an option before.
Flat Style is currently set as the default. I think it was the default before, though without this ugly orange, of course.
SquareDark was the dark theme, though obviously it's not dark anymore.

There was another one I think it was the squaredark style but with normal instead of dark colours, but no point making it an option until I fix things up.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well, not sure how much more I can take - haven't slept yet (and dread to think what I'd feel like sitting in front of your computer). Anyway, I'm going to try and do my "usual" routine to see if anything else leaps out. But otherwise, things mostly function as we'd expect - even if they look a bit different (including since I open the thread I read before this one).

One other issue (maybe you're aware) but having the emojis on the right actually means more scrolling - most of the (data entry) field scroll up before I see the three action buttons at the bottom (preview and submit)
PeacefulAnarchy

Yes, I hate the emojis like this. I remember it was a pain in the ass to move them below, hopefully I can fix that too.
PeacefulAnarchy

I'm calling it a night. Things appear to be working and stable. I'll get on the style sheet editing tomorrow. Hopefully things haven't changed too much and editing goes quickly but we'll see.

First priority will be to get our logo back.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 12th, 2020, 10:22 am Yes, those are all default behaviours I had modified, now I get to do it again.
It's good that you mention it though, because I didn't remember until you did (though it should all be written down in my notes).
Can you make this top priority?
I an deal with different colors or things in a different place, but finding out where my oldest unread post is, is a pain in the ass.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
PeacefulAnarchy

It is second on the list yeah, pulled out active topics is 3rd.
After that I'll go through things in the order from my notes
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Last thing for me before I get some sleep:

Not sure if there's been a change with Imgur links, and since I don't do it enough, I don't remember what's worked/not worked for me in the past.

Anyway, after dropping my image, I click on the "copy link" button in the upper right of my image (https://imgur.com/BYeopkH). Were we able to put that link in between Image (blank img tag) in the past?

I had to use Imgur's "...", "Get share links", and then "Copy Link" next to BBCode (Forums) to get the link to the actual image. This isn't something I remember doing in the past.

PeacefulAnarchy

joachimt wrote: December 12th, 2020, 10:54 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 12th, 2020, 10:22 am Yes, those are all default behaviours I had modified, now I get to do it again.
I an deal with different colors or things in a different place, but finding out where my oldest unread post is, is a pain in the ass.
BTW, technically this is also "things in a different place" If a thread has unread posts click the little coloured icon on the left of the title, if it's all read you can click on the right near the username.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 12th, 2020, 11:06 am Last thing for me before I get some sleep:

Not sure if there's been a change with Imgur links, and since I don't do it enough, I don't remember what's worked/not worked for me in the past.

Anyway, after dropping my image, I click on the "copy link" button in the upper right of my image (https://imgur.com/BYeopkH). Were we able to put that link in between Image (blank img tag) in the past?

I had to use Imgur's "...", "Get share links", and then "Copy Link" next to BBCode (Forums) to get the link to the actual image. This isn't something I remember doing in the past.

No, that's how it has always worked, you have to link the image not the page. You can, instead of the get share links right click on the image and copy url on the image, then put that in img tags. Maybe that's what you recall doing before.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 12th, 2020, 11:13 am
xianjiro wrote: December 12th, 2020, 11:06 am Last thing for me before I get some sleep:

No, that's how it has always worked, you have to link the image not the page. You can, instead of the get share links right click on the image and copy url on the image, then put that in img tags. Maybe that's what you recall doing before.
Okay. And I clicked on the little colored box to the left of the topic title and went to first unread message! Hooray for the work around! :party:

now :sleeping:
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

For the users not on line or hidden there is an odd black icon on the upper right handside of the user's post (behind the quote button).
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 12th, 2020, 11:08 am
joachimt wrote: December 12th, 2020, 10:54 am
BTW, technically this is also "things in a different place" If a thread has unread posts click the little coloured icon on the left of the title, if it's all read you can click on the right near the username.
Thanks!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Looks really nice to be honest. Will take some time to get used to but I like the orange theme, it looks clean.

The only thing bothering me is that the part with the links to podcasts, polls, challenges, ... is in red and it stands out a little bit too much. Would rather have it be in something lighter.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
PeacefulAnarchy

At the core the current 3 themes are the same ones as before, the differences are the colours and the little tweaks I had made with placement of a few links.

And yes the announcement background was one of them, it's on my list. Nothing will be changing for 12 hours, though.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

What a shock, never saw the orange design before. Returning to flat silver in a second. :sweat: