Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Forum will be down for maintenance 00:01AM EST, 5:01AM UTC Monday Dec 7 This will last 1-4 hours.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
4th ICM Film Festival Main Thread (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)
Polls: Silents (Results), 1944 (Dec 18th), Directors (Jan 2nd)
Challenges: Documentary, 1980s, Caribbean
Film of the Week: Laissez bronzer les cadavres, January nominations (Dec 25th)
World Cup S4: Final: Germany vs Poland (Dec 1st)

500 <400 2020 RESULTS! Sponsored by Torgo

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1986
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

Re: 500 <400 2020 RESULTS!

#1041

Post by cinewest » October 17th, 2020, 7:58 am

sortile9io wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:35 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:29 pm
I hope that sortile9io once again does his "Top Affinities" post showing which users have the most films (as a percentage) in common with each other, as seen in last year's post: viewtopic.php?p=605340#p605340. Always enjoy seeing that.
Sure, but first I think we'll have to see the runners-up.
That’s interesting. Pretty easy to recognize the different “mafias” on board, and I didn’t realize Xianjiro was everyone’s friend, or my best friend, though I am pretty far down on his list of friends. No wonder I get so cranky around here.
Last edited by cinewest on October 17th, 2020, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 6942
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#1042

Post by albajos » October 17th, 2020, 9:30 am

1. Megane
Seen at a film festival
2. Jakten
Curriculum at university, but I saw it in cinema before that
3. O le tulafale
Dug it up in a Oceania challenge
4. Leve blant løver
Seen at a film festival
5. Resan till Melonia
TV
6. Terror by Night
Saw it on DVD because of Sherlock Holmes
7. O Primeiro Dia
Saw it in cinema
8. Ma-ma
It's on TV every year here
9. Herr Bohm och sillen
Animated short often shown on TV in the 80s and early 90s
10. Senaste Nytt
Short film festival, I guess. I have only seen it once. It's probably the one in my list I question the most as it has been so long ago :p

so only 1/10 is because of this forum, and that wasn't even recommended by anyone. On the positive side I saw it because of a bonus challenge, as it is Samoan. Otherwise I probably never would have found it.

For the question for what has been in the list the longest, I think it's the movie Mormor og de åtte ungene i skogen

but also the shorts Veslefrikk med fela, Den standhaftige tinnsoldat, Karius og Baktus, Gutten som kappåt med trollet, Min bedstefar er en stok
or the mini-series Brødrene Dal og professor Drøvels hemmelighet or Serum Serum could be first as they have all been on TV several times.
Last edited by albajos on October 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12798
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#1043

Post by AdamH » October 17th, 2020, 9:48 am

Ok, some more stats. Number of films still eligible from each edition so far:

Jan. 2013-120
Sep. 2013-148
2014-206
2015-253
2016-308
2017-356
2018-412
2019-448
2020-498

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

#1044

Post by Melvelet » October 17th, 2020, 10:48 am

Seeing the relatively small amount of films in people's top 10s that were directly watched because of this list really makes me wonder how people can go through the countdown and not get the urge to watch every single film on the list.
It's quite diverse, I basically find everything that I watch from it at least interesting, with many films being good or even great. I'm almost as keen on finishing this list as I am with TSPDT. After I'm done with latter, 500<400 and all it's previous version will become my main list to work on.
Huge thanks to everyone involved.

Went down from 229 to 222. I'll try to get to over 300 before the next version.
Current recommendation: Batch '81 (1982)


ImageImage


Current focus: Complete ICMFF (28/46, starting at 2), 1000<400

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31153
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1045

Post by mightysparks » October 17th, 2020, 10:49 am

Well, I've watched a few films because they are on this list but most of them I didn't like enough to go on my list... Most are in the bad to meh range, as are all films in general for me. Also, I assume most people's top 10s would be more personal/long-term so they might have plenty of other films from the forum/this list further down on their list.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#1046

Post by Mothravka » October 17th, 2020, 11:08 am

I don't like most films (of what I've seen) either. But I like watching films and try to see each viewing experience as something positive and something I can learn from, even if the film itself is bad. If a film is good, it's a bonus.

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2406
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#1047

Post by clemmetarey » October 17th, 2020, 11:10 am

1. Trans-Europ-Express (1966): saw it because it's directed by Robbe-Grillet
2. Ship of Theseus (2012): World Cup
3. Shura (1971): forum rec (Art)
4. Histórias que Só Existem Quando Lembradas (2011): Saw it during the Latin America challenge in February 18
5. Die Parallelstrasse (1962): not sure, but most likely because of the talk on the forum
6. Comment je me suis disputé... (ma vie sexuelle) (1996): working on the French list
7. L'eau froide (1994): I saw this one in theaters, during a film festival
8. November (2017): World Cup
9. La muerte de un burócrata (1966): I started working on Alea's filmography 4 years ago, to this day this and Memories of Underdevelopment are still the only one I've seen. :D
10. Rengoku eroica (1970): it was on 500<400

Also made me realise that my top 12 is on 500<400. Feels good to be part of a forum with such great tastes :cheers:

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 5432
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#1048

Post by Onderhond » October 17th, 2020, 11:18 am

Melvelet wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 10:48 am
Seeing the relatively small amount of films in people's top 10s that were directly watched because of this list really makes me wonder how people can go through the countdown and not get the urge to watch every single film on the list.
This train of thought I don't get. You'd expect people to really dig through this list because they have a low amount of films from the list in their top 10?
Sounds to me like a good reason not to go through the list, as it doesn't seem to yield that many favorites for people?

Whether the list is diverse is mainly a matter of perspective. For someone like me, diversity seems rather low to be honest.

User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12798
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#1049

Post by AdamH » October 17th, 2020, 11:23 am

Top 10s don't really tell us much. I have plenty of films in my list that I watched because of the forum/500<400 but that doesn't necessarily mean many of them are in my top 10.

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3919
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#1050

Post by weirdboy » October 17th, 2020, 11:23 am

clemmetarey wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:10 am
1. Trans-Europ-Express (1966): saw it because it's directed by Robbe-Grillet
2. Ship of Theseus (2012): World Cup
3. Shura (1971): forum rec (Art)
4. Histórias que Só Existem Quando Lembradas (2011): Saw it during the Latin America challenge in February 18
5. Die Parallelstrasse (1962): not sure, but most likely because of the talk on the forum
6. Comment je me suis disputé... (ma vie sexuelle) (1996): working on the French list
7. L'eau froide (1994): I saw this one in theaters, during a film festival
8. November (2017): World Cup
9. La muerte de un burócrata (1966): I started working on Alea's filmography 4 years ago, to this day this and Memories of Underdevelopment are still the only one I've seen. :D
10. Rengoku eroica (1970): it was on 500<400

Also made me realise that my top 12 is on 500<400. Feels good to be part of a forum with such great tastes :cheers:
Die Parallelstrasse was also a world cup entry.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4703
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1051

Post by Fergenaprido » October 17th, 2020, 11:52 am

weirdboy wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:23 am
Die Parallelstrasse was also a world cup entry.
No it wasn't, weirdboy. It was FOTW though.

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

#1052

Post by Melvelet » October 17th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Onderhond wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:18 am
Melvelet wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 10:48 am
Seeing the relatively small amount of films in people's top 10s that were directly watched because of this list really makes me wonder how people can go through the countdown and not get the urge to watch every single film on the list.
This train of thought I don't get. You'd expect people to really dig through this list because they have a low amount of films from the list in their top 10?
Sounds to me like a good reason not to go through the list, as it doesn't seem to yield that many favorites for people?

Whether the list is diverse is mainly a matter of perspective. For someone like me, diversity seems rather low to be honest.
I rather mean: people list their top 10s, they include plenty of movies that are on 500<400 but barely anyone seems to have seen the movies BECAUSE they were on the list. Which gives the (maybe not entirely accurate) impression that most forumers don't take the list as a source for recommendations (that they actually end up watching). I do suspect something similar to what mighty said - that the top is not that representative with regards to the list influence of viewing choices and that there might be a higher percentage of 'watched because of 500<400' outside of the top 10s.

And I actually imagined you'd say something like that when I typed my statement about the diversity :D Of course it still has a strong focus on the kind of movies that the members of this board are - as a whole - most interested in (arthouse, 'classic'/non-contemporary cinema, more generally speaking dramas) while other parts of cinema as a medium are barely represented. But if we look at the represented countries and the distribution of release years there's a lot of variety. A Russian silent movie, a film noir and a 2018 Chinese arthouse movie would give me 3 viewing experiences that feel very different for me, even if they typically get watched by a similar audience. But there's also films on the list that I'd say are outside of that sphere (Assassination Nation, Who Killed Captain Alex? & LA Plays Itself come to mind) and I'm looking forward to crush my own comfort zone a bit with that. I do agree that there could be a bit more of that and also more genre movies for example. Or generally more people like you with a quite different outlook on cinema. But I feel there could be Hidden Gems lists in other communities that are much more anglocentric, mostly focussed on contemporary cinema, etc. and therefore less diverse.
Current recommendation: Batch '81 (1982)


ImageImage


Current focus: Complete ICMFF (28/46, starting at 2), 1000<400

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2406
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#1053

Post by clemmetarey » October 17th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:52 am
weirdboy wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:23 am
Die Parallelstrasse was also a world cup entry.
No it wasn't, weirdboy. It was FOTW though.
I saw it in June 2016, and it was FOTW on February 2016, and already on 500<400. The fact it is on 500<400 is probably the reason I saw it then. :shrug:

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 5432
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#1054

Post by Onderhond » October 17th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Melvelet wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:06 pm
I rather mean: people list their top 10s, they include plenty of movies that are on 500<400 but barely anyone seems to have seen the movies BECAUSE they were on the list. Which gives the (maybe not entirely accurate) impression that most forumers don't take the list as a source for recommendations (that they actually end up watching). I do suspect something similar to what mighty said - that the top is not that representative with regards to the list influence of viewing choices and that there might be a higher percentage of 'watched because of 500<400' outside of the top 10s.
Well, looking at the setup and result it's a list that appeals to a limited amount of users. For gamification it isn't that great (because tough to complete and relatively few films appearing in multiple toplists), for challenge participation and random recommends many of the films are quite hard to find and require active looking around. And if you want to take it as a diverse list, it's still a bit of a gamble to take on the odd film.
Melvelet wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:06 pm
But there's also films on the list that I'd say are outside of that sphere (Assassination Nation, Who Killed Captain Alex? & LA Plays Itself come to mind)
True enough, but then it's usually just one kind of "representative" for a niche or genre. It's not like you can go "oh, this film's on here, I loved that, let's look for something similar", because you probably won't find it :) But in that sense the list definitely improved compared to last year, at least looking at my own favorites.

ckfilm88
Posts: 23
Joined: Sep 26, 2020
Contact:

#1055

Post by ckfilm88 » October 17th, 2020, 7:04 pm

This may be a stupid question, but how does someone get into the Top 150 people of icheckmovies without enjoying movies? Most people I know who don't like films or watching them don't watch any or only watch 1-4 a month. People I know who do like movies have seen less (myself included) and are well below that threshold.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32702
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1056

Post by joachimt » October 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm

ckfilm88 wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:04 pm
This may be a stupid question, but how does someone get into the Top 150 people of icheckmovies without enjoying movies? Most people I know who don't like films or watching them don't watch any or only watch 1-4 a month. People I know who do like movies have seen less (myself included) and are well below that threshold.
Certainly not a stupid question and most of us have been wondering about this for nine years. :lol:
But I doubt mightysparks wants to explain it again. :P
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1790
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Location: Germany
Contact:

#1057

Post by Torgo » October 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm

ckfilm88 wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:04 pm
This may be a stupid question, but how does someone get into the Top 150 people of icheckmovies without enjoying movies? Most people I know who don't like films or watching them don't watch any or only watch 1-4 a month. People I know who do like movies have seen less (myself included) and are well below that threshold.
Don't worry, it's not a stupid question. I fail to understand this since I first came into contact with cinephiles who were largely resistant to any forms of enjoyment, trapped in their cage of superiority.
It's not an ICM-exclusive phenomenon but even more baffling when one consumes these huge masses of movies and goes through hundreds of ones which aren't even of their interest, weren't it for lists.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13376
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#1058

Post by Cippenham » October 17th, 2020, 7:31 pm

It’s like an obsession, all consuming and the desire to complete lists, so you have to watch films early morning and evening and all shorts as long as they are official. I no longer suffer from this obsession but am still in the top 100.

User avatar
Teproc
Posts: 876
Joined: Sep 23, 2015
Contact:

#1059

Post by Teproc » October 17th, 2020, 7:37 pm

I think it's probably more a case of people having different definitions of enjoyment than anything else.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32702
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1060

Post by joachimt » October 17th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Cippenham wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:31 pm
It’s like an obsession, all consuming and the desire to complete lists, so you have to watch films early morning and evening and all shorts as long as they are official. I no longer suffer from this obsession but am still in the top 100.
This doesn't apply to mightysparks. She watched tons of movies long before iCM existed. After discovering iCM she surely had a period of focusing on official checks, but quickly she went her own way again and watched loads of unofficial stuff. There are certainly checkwhores on iCM, but mightysparks isn't one of them.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12798
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#1061

Post by AdamH » October 17th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Mightysparks also doesn't really watch that many films now (certainly compared to many iCMers). People on iCM would be watching lots of films with or without iCM and with or without lists. Sure, it might drive the watching up but my experience of reading on here is that most of the top people in the rankings tend to burn out eventually.

Depends on how busy a person's life is/family commitments etc. as well probably.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13376
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#1062

Post by Cippenham » October 17th, 2020, 8:44 pm

I was already a long way working on TSPDT before ICM as I wanted to see the greatest films, for me it was about the theme or story, the performance and the quality m broadening horizons of time, appreciating films of all times and cultures and languages. It was hard to track down some of the most obscure at that time. I still have not seen The Art of Vision, no longer a feature of that list. Then with ICM to appreciate other lists, popular or otherwise. I followed a website by Kevin Lee, called Shooting down pictures documenting his efforts to complete TSPDT. That was started in 2007. He finished in 2010 but I took a little longer.
He talked about it here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-30054

ckfilm88
Posts: 23
Joined: Sep 26, 2020
Contact:

#1063

Post by ckfilm88 » October 17th, 2020, 10:40 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Certainly not a stupid question and most of us have been wondering about this for nine years. :lol:
But I doubt mightysparks wants to explain it again. :P
Torgo wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Don't worry, it's not a stupid question. I fail to understand this since I first came into contact with cinephiles who were largely resistant to any forms of enjoyment, trapped in their cage of superiority.
It's not an ICM-exclusive phenomenon but even more baffling when one consumes these huge masses of movies and goes through hundreds of ones which aren't even of their interest, weren't it for lists.
Cippenham wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:31 pm
It’s like an obsession, all consuming and the desire to complete lists, so you have to watch films early morning and evening and all shorts as long as they are official. I no longer suffer from this obsession but am still in the top 100.
Teproc wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:37 pm
I think it's probably more a case of people having different definitions of enjoyment than anything else.
I greatly appreciate all of the responses! I didn't mean to bring up old news, so feel free to ignore the question going forward. :lol: I was just shocked because I had never encountered anyone with a hobby for something they didn't actually enjoy, watching movies or otherwise. I can understand the addiction of completing lists and checking. I remember when I first created my account I wanted to check as much as possible so I kept working through the Mark Cousins list and watching the shorts on there. :lol: I don't think I am as intense as I was then, but I still try to work my way through lists and I do get enjoyment from it.

With that information I guess it makes sense why some people may not devour the 500 <400 list every year if they suffer from burnout or don't get enjoyment from watching films since the majority of what is on here requires more patience, love for the craft of filmmaking, and/or appreciation of different styles. For example, I'm certainly not going go out of my way to watch a 10-hour tennis tournament considering I don't have passion for tennis. If I didn't like watching movies I certainly wouldn't watch Mekas, or Lav Diaz, or a 10-hour documentary series because it would feel like a waste of time. Of course these are some of the more extreme cases of this list, but I think it still makes sense.

I think Torgo may have touched on why not too many people fly through this list (as long as the films are available enough). In my short time here I've noticed some people on here have very particular tastes and if I personally didn't like certain movies or styles I probably wouldn't touch this list. Although the list may not be as diverse as it could be, it does have a wide range of styles, countries, and directors. Plenty of people have an aversion to Miike and Mekas, which I can understand, but that doesn't mean people can't learn to appreciate why others like them and their films. Sam Levinson didn't get to make a HBO show (Euphoria) because he's a bad filmmaker. I get the sense people want to share hidden or under appreciated films they've seen, but aren't as inclined to see films others put on their lists.

Like I said before, I am new here so I may be wrong about this. It's just what I think I've observed so far.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31153
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1064

Post by mightysparks » October 18th, 2020, 12:09 am

There's a difference between loving film and loving every individual film that you see. Almost every film is 'of interest' to me, but only a handful strongly connect with me. I don't choose which ones these are or how many of them do. Film is about more than just my personal enjoyment and connection, although obviously the ones that tick those boxes are the ones that make all of it worthwhile.
Mothravka wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:08 am
I don't like most films (of what I've seen) either. But I like watching films and try to see each viewing experience as something positive and something I can learn from, even if the film itself is bad. If a film is good, it's a bonus.
Teproc wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:37 pm
I think it's probably more a case of people having different definitions of enjoyment than anything else.

+1
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1065

Post by Ebbywebby » October 18th, 2020, 12:28 am

I do use the <400 list to get tips....every year, I paste my unseen films from the top 500 to a text file and try to narrow them down to a sub-list of films that sound interesting. And then I'll watch some of them. I never quite finished narrowing down the rough list during the past year, but I generally pluck out about 70 films worth keeping in mind.

Of the current top 500, I saw 13 of them during 2020. Several of those choices like "Who Killed Captain Alex" (just watched recently), "The Tall Target," "The Silent Partner," "Tiger Bay" and "By the Bluest of Seas" were strongly influenced by their <400 rank. I must have watched some "dropoffs" during the past year too, but those are harder to look up. I know I saw "Our Man in Havana" in recent months, though that was more because I just like old Alec Guinness movies. I watched "Style Wars" after last year's poll was revealed, only because it was on the list (and was short-ish). I watched "Seduced and Abandoned" during the past year, but that was half just because it was on TCM. I watched "Park Row," mostly because it was on the <400 list (and, yeah, TCM showed it). I probably missed a couple of other examples.

I think I've been enjoying film a little less during the past year or two, just because I'm truly nearing the bottom of unseen old films that personally excite me. I'm quite tight about what I add to my watchlist, and my list is down to just 65 features. And that's despite me adding about 15 fresh titles just 2.5 months ago. I was much more consumed with music than film up until the mid 2000's, but lately my music passion has been refueled. Partly because I realized I'm long overdue to sift through my collection and pull out stuff that I don't need anymore. I'm very, very bitter about the unjust media campaign to bury the CD, because it's costing me lots of money in potential sales.

User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1790
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Location: Germany
Contact:

#1066

Post by Torgo » October 18th, 2020, 1:57 am

It's funny; some of us would be glad if their watchlist ever shrank down to just 65 films instead of growing longer each and every month .. :lol:
For any film I "get out of the way", 2 fill its spot. It's a Sisyphean task, except an entertaining one.

User avatar
TalkingElvish
Posts: 111
Joined: Dec 27, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

#1067

Post by TalkingElvish » October 18th, 2020, 2:15 am

Torgo wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 1:57 am
It's funny; some of us would be glad if their watchlist ever shrank down to just 65 films instead of growing longer each and every month .. :lol:
For any film I "get out of the way", 2 fill its spot. It's a Sisyphean task, except an entertaining one.
Same. I can't really point to any single users whose tastes I find especially useful, but I really love the list-making that happens here. I've already watched all the shorts I hadn't already seen and they're all absolute revelations. Very keen to see the 501-1000 list.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1986
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#1068

Post by cinewest » October 18th, 2020, 2:49 am

Melvelet wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 10:48 am
Seeing the relatively small amount of films in people's top 10s that were directly watched because of this list really makes me wonder how people can go through the countdown and not get the urge to watch every single film on the list.
It's quite diverse, I basically find everything that I watch from it at least interesting, with many films being good or even great. I'm almost as keen on finishing this list as I am with TSPDT. After I'm done with latter, 500<400 and all it's previous version will become my main list to work on.
Huge thanks to everyone involved.

Went down from 229 to 222. I'll try to get to over 300 before the next version.
While I agree that the list is quite diverse, there is quite a bit that doesn’t really appeal to me for a variety of reasons:
Unlike many here I am not hooked on completing official lists, nor am I as interested in watching as many movies as most here do. Even in my heyday of movie watching (back in my 20’s) I probably averaged no more than 8 movies per month, if only because I had a myriad of other interests, including my studies, and making my own short films, etc.

Over 40+ years of cinephilia, I have watched a huge variety of films, and while I continue to enjoy the diversity Of films available, the kinds of films I am attracted to has both broadened and narrowed at the same time.

These days I watch far less older stuff (in fact the older a movie is the less likely I am to be attracted to it, with certain exceptions, of course), and far fewer English language movies, though at times a given mood takes me back to places I have already mined substantially.

I am also not in a situation where it is convenient for me to search high and low for films that are difficult to find.
That said, I have added at least 250 films from this list over the past few years, and definitely watched quite a few films off this list since I first stumbled upon it.

The fact that I was unfamiliar with so many of the titles when I first came to the list added to its appeal, as I love Learning about and discovering quality things that have escaped most people’s attention, as well as continuing to develop my knowledge and taste around those things.

ckfilm88
Posts: 23
Joined: Sep 26, 2020
Contact:

#1069

Post by ckfilm88 » October 18th, 2020, 3:01 am

mightysparks wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 12:09 am
There's a difference between loving film and loving every individual film that you see. Almost every film is 'of interest' to me, but only a handful strongly connect with me. I don't choose which ones these are or how many of them do. Film is about more than just my personal enjoyment and connection, although obviously the ones that tick those boxes are the ones that make all of it worthwhile.
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with not connecting with a lot of films. I certainly don't love every film I watch though. I wouldn't even say I love every film in my Top 10. I don't think every film I watch that I don't love is bad or just okay. There's definitely plenty of area between those assertions.

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4609
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#1070

Post by Dolwphin » October 18th, 2020, 3:44 am

Here I thought mightysparks was a curiosity, but then a user named ckfilm88 emerges who coldly remarks that he doesn't love some of her/his favorite films.
Top 300 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Image

ckfilm88
Posts: 23
Joined: Sep 26, 2020
Contact:

#1071

Post by ckfilm88 » October 18th, 2020, 5:03 am

Dolwphin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 3:44 am
Here I thought mightysparks was a curiosity, but then a user named ckfilm88 emerges who coldly remarks that he doesn't love some of her/his favorite films.
It seems you took my response out of context. I was only trying to defend myself because it seemed to be suggested that I unabashedly love almost anything I watch without criticism. I was referring to my Top 10 from my submission list for this year, which I thought others were previously talking about, but maybe I misinterpreted. I definitely should have made that clearer. I think all of the films in my Top 10 for my 2020 500 <400 list are great, but I would save "love" for my absolute favorite films of all time, which some of them are not.

User avatar
viktor-vaudevillain
Posts: 499
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#1072

Post by viktor-vaudevillain » October 18th, 2020, 9:32 am

Only 1 of my top 10 films made the list... well well well. Which is Reality's Invisible, and I would have thought that Valérie Massadian's Milla (2017) would be at least a minor favorite among some members on this forum, and would make the list.

I've seen some 92 films from the list, but only 40 of those were on my list.
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 2032
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#1073

Post by matthewscott8 » October 18th, 2020, 9:52 am

weirdboy wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:23 am
clemmetarey wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:10 am
1. Trans-Europ-Express (1966): saw it because it's directed by Robbe-Grillet
2. Ship of Theseus (2012): World Cup
3. Shura (1971): forum rec (Art)
4. Histórias que Só Existem Quando Lembradas (2011): Saw it during the Latin America challenge in February 18
5. Die Parallelstrasse (1962): not sure, but most likely because of the talk on the forum
6. Comment je me suis disputé... (ma vie sexuelle) (1996): working on the French list
7. L'eau froide (1994): I saw this one in theaters, during a film festival
8. November (2017): World Cup
9. La muerte de un burócrata (1966): I started working on Alea's filmography 4 years ago, to this day this and Memories of Underdevelopment are still the only one I've seen. :D
10. Rengoku eroica (1970): it was on 500<400

Also made me realise that my top 12 is on 500<400. Feels good to be part of a forum with such great tastes :cheers:
Die Parallelstrasse was also a world cup entry.
I've been shilling for Die Parallelstrasse for over a decade. Getting folks on the IMDb boards (including many people now on this board) to watch it is one of my few claims to fame as an "influencer".

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

#1074

Post by Melvelet » October 18th, 2020, 10:55 am

World Cup movies in the current 500<400 edition:

Season 1: 22
Season 2: 23
Season 3: 24
Season 4: 14 (season not finished)
Current recommendation: Batch '81 (1982)


ImageImage


Current focus: Complete ICMFF (28/46, starting at 2), 1000<400

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 10184
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1075

Post by sol » October 18th, 2020, 11:50 am

sortile9io wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:35 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:29 pm
I hope that sortile9io once again does his "Top Affinities" post showing which users have the most films (as a percentage) in common with each other, as seen in last year's post: viewtopic.php?p=605340#p605340. Always enjoy seeing that.
Sure, but first I think we'll have to see the runners-up.
Uh, my link has changed since I submitted it for the poll. :ermm:

I don't know if you use the lists as downloaded by PA, but in case you don't, here's a current link and I'll avoid changing the link name until this is over if that's going to cause problems.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12519
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#1076

Post by Armoreska » October 18th, 2020, 12:23 pm

btw congrats to the proud owner of the 6 sixes post
viewtopic.php?p=666666#p666666
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists:
SpoilerShow
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels

User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1790
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Location: Germany
Contact:

#1077

Post by Torgo » October 18th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Armoreska wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 12:23 pm
btw congrats to the proud owner of the 6 sixes post
viewtopic.php?p=666666#p666666
:worship:

User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1790
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Location: Germany
Contact:

#1078

Post by Torgo » October 18th, 2020, 2:06 pm

ckfilm88 wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 5:03 am
Dolwphin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 3:44 am
Here I thought mightysparks was a curiosity, but then a user named ckfilm88 emerges who coldly remarks that he doesn't love some of her/his favorite films.
It seems you took my response out of context. I was only trying to defend myself because it seemed to be suggested that I unabashedly love almost anything I watch without criticism. I was referring to my Top 10 from my submission list for this year, which I thought others were previously talking about, but maybe I misinterpreted. I definitely should have made that clearer. I think all of the films in my Top 10 for my 2020 500 <400 list are great, but I would save "love" for my absolute favorite films of all time, which some of them are not.
I understood it that way :) Dolwphin interpreted it weirdly, I'm sure he had no ill intent. ;)

As much as I'd like to continue the debate on perception of films and the definition of enjoyment and how and in which way to benefit from the various manifestations of film -
I think we should get ourselves ready for the rest of the countdown, namely 501-1000! :party:


PS: I feel bad if my comment above read like an attack on a single forum user; maybe I was not clear enough in phrasing a more general thought.

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4609
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#1079

Post by Dolwphin » October 18th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Torgo wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 2:06 pm
ckfilm88 wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 5:03 am
Dolwphin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 3:44 am
Here I thought mightysparks was a curiosity, but then a user named ckfilm88 emerges who coldly remarks that he doesn't love some of her/his favorite films.
It seems you took my response out of context. I was only trying to defend myself because it seemed to be suggested that I unabashedly love almost anything I watch without criticism. I was referring to my Top 10 from my submission list for this year, which I thought others were previously talking about, but maybe I misinterpreted. I definitely should have made that clearer. I think all of the films in my Top 10 for my 2020 500 <400 list are great, but I would save "love" for my absolute favorite films of all time, which some of them are not.
I understood it that way :) Dolwphin interpreted it weirdly, I'm sure he had no ill intent. ;)

As much as I'd like to continue the debate on perception of films and the definition of enjoyment and how and in which way to benefit from the various manifestations of film -
I think we should get ourselves ready for the rest of the countdown, namely 501-1000! :party:


PS: I feel bad if my comment above read like an attack on a single forum user; maybe I was not clear enough in phrasing a more general thought.
You could maybe be hired by CNN with that lovely civility? :o Also, this conversation is very polarized, and people don't agree with my point of view, so that is very alarming don't you think folks? :o
Top 300 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Image

User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1790
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Location: Germany
Contact:

#1080

Post by Torgo » October 18th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Dolwphin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 2:16 pm
You could maybe be hired by CNN with that lovely civility? :o Also, this conversation is very polarized, and people don't agree with my point of view, so that is very alarming don't you think folks? :o
I can switch my tone any second, I have enough experience in Reddit, ED, 4chan and troll culture for that.
My (boring) impression was we try to stick closer to a constructive CNN-sort of debate here rather than the commentary section on Breitbart. :D

Post Reply