Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: TV-series (Results), Directors (Jan 2nd), 1980 (Jan 24th), <50 checks (Jan 31st)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central American/Andean
Film of the Week: The Milagro Beanfield War, February nominations (Jan 29th)

LastFM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

nimimerkillinen wrote: January 13th, 2019, 7:30 am
joachimt wrote: January 12th, 2019, 9:45 pm
nimimerkillinen wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:12 am dunno about those but if you own it you can legally download it i think? then just play them on foobar for example in backround, if you dont mind the extra work
Owning doesn't give you the right to download, at least not in my country. You are allowed to make a rip yourself though, although there are restrictions on what media you may save those mp3's (and of course you can't share them with others). 99% of the mp'3 on my NAS are actually rips of my own cd's (roughly 2000), so I don't even need to download them.

Play mp3's in the background every time I put on a cd isn't very practical.

Although I love stats, I think I'll have to skip LastFM.
about as practical as participating in forum challenges per movie imo, takes few extra seconds per cd
Let's say I listen to a cd in my car. I can't stream that same music at that moment on my iPhone, because I'm not going to use all those MBs on my 3G-subscription. So I have to remember at home to stream that cd in the background later when I get home. But the trip in my car is never exactly as long as the cd, so I probably listen to only a few tracks of it. So I have to remember which tracks, or make notes of it. Etc......
This is more than "just a few seconds".
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

joachimt wrote: January 13th, 2019, 10:16 am
Owning doesn't give you the right to download, at least not in my country. You are allowed to make a rip yourself though, although there are restrictions on what media you may save those mp3's (and of course you can't share them with others). 99% of the mp'3 on my NAS are actually rips of my own cd's (roughly 2000), so I don't even need to download them.

about as practical as participating in forum challenges per movie imo, takes few extra seconds per cd
Let's say I listen to a cd in my car. I can't stream that same music at that moment on my iPhone, because I'm not going to use all those MBs on my 3G-subscription. So I have to remember at home to stream that cd in the background later when I get home. But the trip in my car is never exactly as long as the cd, so I probably listen to only a few tracks of it. So I have to remember which tracks, or make notes of it. Etc......
would be different if you dont have them on your computer but yea if you dont listen them by track order that would be too much. ive listened plenty of singles on youtube without scrobbling to last.fm but for full albums i do and havent found it too troublesome to write the name of the album down if have listened to it fully and when on computer scrobble. a few seconds or max 30sec total if its on computer
Eva_L

Post by Eva_L »

I've recently started using Spotify to scrobble, but I'm getting really frustrated by some of the song titles. All this 'remastered' stuff is something I don't want to see on my scrobbles. It messes up my statistics. Anyone else annoyed by this? And is there a solution? I'm guessing there isn't...
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yeah it annoys me because I know it’s screwing up my scrobbles. I used to use mp3s that I named and kept tidy and now I get like 5 different versions of the same song. I just can’t be bothered trying to work around it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Eva_L

Post by Eva_L »

mightysparks wrote: January 13th, 2019, 3:42 pm Yeah it annoys me because I know it’s screwing up my scrobbles. I used to use mp3s that I named and kept tidy and now I get like 5 different versions of the same song. I just can’t be bothered trying to work around it.
I've also spent so much time correctly naming my music files. It's just frustrating that they can't change this. I've googled it and others seem to be annoyed with this as well. I wish they'd fix this.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

nimimerkillinen wrote: January 13th, 2019, 12:51 pm
would be different if you dont have them on your computer but yea if you dont listen them by track order that would be too much. ive listened plenty of singles on youtube without scrobbling to last.fm but for full albums i do and havent found it too troublesome to write the name of the album down if have listened to it fully and when on computer scrobble. a few seconds or max 30sec total if its on computer
I often shuffle. While working in and around the house I shuffle through my entire collection. In the car I often put in a USB-stick and shuffle on that. Etc...

So lastFM doesn't seem to be my thing. And judging on the latest posts by mightysparks and Eva_L my OCD would go crazy if I would start using it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Eva_L wrote: January 13th, 2019, 2:07 pm I've recently started using Spotify to scrobble, but I'm getting really frustrated by some of the song titles. All this 'remastered' stuff is something I don't want to see on my scrobbles. It messes up my statistics. Anyone else annoyed by this? And is there a solution? I'm guessing there isn't...
This is exactly the reason why I don't use Spotify with Last.fm.* I have a fairly big collection of mp3s, each neatly tagged, on my hard disk. Whenever I listen to an mp3 file, I scrobble. When I listen to a cd or an lp, or when I listen to YouTube at work, I don't scrobble. I don't feel the need to scrobble everything I listen to.

*Well, I don't listen to music as much as I used to, so that's another reason I've never tried Spotify.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Being deeply rooted in so-called extreme metal & hardcore subgenres apart from some generally unpopular stuff, it doesn't astonish me that I have basically only low & very low compatibilities with most of you guys. That's okay, I'm not lectured (nor too much interested) in most of the pop, rock & classical canon of music. That's something I enjoy about being interested in all kinds of films from all of history, in contrast to only watching niche stuff: It gives you the chance to exhange views with so many different people :)

https://www.last.fm/user/Khanatist

nimimerkillinen wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:41 am https://www.last.fm/user/nimimerkilline ... eport/year
"Top Tags
Electronic Ambient Black metal Rock Folk" :P
.. but how natural to see one fellow fan of black metal, grindcore and neofolk (e.g.) hailing from where? Finland, of course! :lol:
I'll be forever grateful for all the funeral doom your homeland has brought forth!
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Since listening to so many albums I tend to have high or super compatibility with everyone now, so I guess I'm not surprised we're at medium. Although metal is the only genre that I've not found anything to like at all so that's probably not correct :P The album listening has been kind of annoying because it makes it harder to find people with similar taste or recommendation systems on Lastfm. Even my Discover Weekly on Spotify has been stuffed up for years because it thinks I want to listen to all this stuff :(

Edit: wow I have super low compatibility with bal3x and more than half of his top tracks are favourites of mine :/ how does this thing even work??
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

We're medium, indeed! The mix of (Sandy) Alex G, JPEGMAFIA and Paysage D'Hiver for our shared artists is pretty wild. :lol:
Do you happen to browse RYM too or can you remember where you stumbled upon Paysage? 2020 year lists aside, this used to be rather outsider stuff.

I haven't really "used" last.fm anymore for years. How the responsible parties hollowed out such a fantastic functional site which served as a great social network (!) as well is beyond me.
Missing the late 00's .. :pinch:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yeah tbh I haven't used it since the redesign, except to collect my scrobbles. Re: Paysage, I think it's just because their eponymous 1999 album is in the top charts of RYM because that's the only one I've listened to. And I gave it a 1/5 :turned:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Paysage D'Hiver is probably the best black metal project with Ifernach being close behind.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Arthur, you could have done your username more justice by dropping Jute Gyte. I am dissapoint!
:lol:
(Sarcasm aside, I think that's really one of the most groundbreaking, experimental projects of the spiraling sub-subgenre abyss that the world of black metal is. Did more for me in revolutionizing the genre than all of the Krallice- and NY-avantgarde stuff, for example)
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Jute Gyte's Perdurance is perfect. It's like if Xenakis or present day Autechre made black metal.
sebby

Post by sebby »

I use openscrobbler.com for these situations. Let's say you reach your destination and you've only listened to half of your Menudo CD. You can hop on openscrobbler from your phone and very easily manually scrobble those tunes. When you get home later and listen to your copy of the Howard the Duck OST on vinyl, you can do the same. Now when you shuffle songs, that's a lot more work.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Spoiler

Last edited by Lammetje on January 4th, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

With a weak performance while at my parents' place, I missed the 20k scrobbles in 2020 and only reached 19.858. And my accoutn jsut celebrated its 14th birthday. Only a few more months and I'll have lived with a last.fm account longer than without it :D
Current recommendation: In Fabric (2018)

ImageImage

Current focus: 1980s Sci-Fi, 1000<400

Last.fm | RYM
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lammetje wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:26 am
Spoiler
You really like listening to music from 19:00 to 22:00! But when do you watch your films then? It's the perfect primetime! :o

So, yeah, stats. 13,700 scrobbles, ok. Finally gone full night owl due to Covid "day-to-day-life". :facepalm:
Just celebrated my 15th year on last.fm - yay!
Spoiler
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Shared a link to mine on the music lounge but I'll join the fun here:
Spoiler
I'll be celebrating my 12th year on Lastfm in June.

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

You're balanced.
:party:
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

You guys scrobble a lot.
Torgo wrote: January 4th, 2021, 3:19 pm You really like listening to music from 19:00 to 22:00! But when do you watch your films then? It's the perfect primetime! :o
Late at night, I guess.

More memorable quotes
tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 »

15 years on Last.fm within a few days: https://www.last.fm/user/tazz_

But i haven't always used it, had problems with the plugins. And i kind of forgot about Last.fm for the last year. But the scrobbling still went on :p
And i don't think there are a lot of people here with kind of the same music preferences :)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

https://mold.github.io/explr/

1. United States - 13722 (363)
2. Canada - 11883 (60)
3. United Kingdom - 10957 (285)
4. France - 8206 (93)
5. Belgium - 2542 (39)
6. Germany - 2197 (57)
7. Australia - 1672 (35)
8. South Korea - 1603 (13)
9. Japan - 1081 (45)
10. Singapore - 960 (3)

11. Sweden - 877 (47)
12. Netherlands - 790 (60)
13. Spain - 709 (12)
14. Norway - 686 (22)
15. Iceland - 525 (10)
16. Iran - 495 (2) - both Arabian trap (lol)
17. Ireland - 413 (11)
18. Italy - 381 (20)
19. Ukraine - 342 (3)
20. Russia - 224 (17)
21. Denmark - 178 (13)
22. Hungary - 176 (4)
23. Colombia - 168 (5)
24. Brazil - 167 (7)
25. Poland - 146 (11)

I actually have listened to Indian music too (goa trance lol), but not tracked. And lol @listening to 60 Dutch artists (probably most EDM-related) - same number of Canada) and yet I at least listen 12 times more to Canadian music, lol. I didn't know I listened to 45 Japanese artists or bands, that's insane. Big surprise!

And I dislike J-pop and K-pop lol.

Jamaica and New Zealand disappoint with 20 artists and only 62 scrobbles (in fact, this is probably higher though as i listen more reggae at a friend) and 9 artists with 37 scrobbles. I should dive more into Bob Marley, Collie Buddz & Barrington Levy + Lorde & Fazerdaze. Also lol @scrobbling only 7 songs from Bob Marley, but having scrobbled from 3 of his sons (Stephen, Damian and Ky-mani)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I think reason why Netherlands is so low is because I both dislike mainstream EDM and the dutch language. Dutch is just one of the least interesting languages because it sounds ugly and it's the only language i pay attention to lyrics. It seems though I just listen more to Belgian groups (all english language though) like Hooverphonic, Oscar and the Wolf as well as post-punk group Whispering Sons and perhaps The Black Box Revelation. They also have a much bigger underground electroscene which is where the majority of scrobbles come from. Germany and the UK seem to do well in that regard too. Netherlands only has 4 of them that I scrobbled: Ben Buitendijk, Detroit Swindle, Icycle and Fatima Yamaha lol. All the rest is EDM, dutch rap / hiphop, some pop and some indie too but not a lot.

Canada and Asia is mostly dream pop / synthpop and perhaps some shoegaze too. Spain is the weird one where 90% of scrobbles is folk-related, actually bordering folktronica.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Didn't know about that site. Pretty fun. I listen to some stuff on Youtube when it's not available on Spotify so all my stats will missing a bit of stuff. I had 500 artists without a country.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

mightysparks wrote: January 7th, 2021, 12:20 am Didn't know about that site. Pretty fun.
:whistling:

More memorable quotes
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

well... those collages are fun but weird... like i've been exploring the 60's, mixed with a lot of recent stuff lol.