Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

New Official List Discussion

xianjiro
Donator

Re: New Official List Discussion

Post by xianjiro » July 18th, 2020, 10:10 am

omg, some absolute favourites! where do I start? when would I ever shut up? Okay, I'll just track down what I haven't yet seen ... Thanks!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » July 18th, 2020, 1:03 pm

mjf314 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm
dirty_score wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:12 am
Just having seen "Berlin Calling" I thought a Music list (like the IMDB one) would be really nice. (Are there really any good ones?)

Maybe a new Musical list too. The BFI list only has 6 movies from the 21st century.
I don't know if it's good, but here's a music list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/time ... iedearest/
This looks like a good list to me. I'd definitely be willing to vote for it in a poll. It certainly represents a whole genre of film that's very underrepresented.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 30th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Any new official shorts?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 30th, 2020, 8:20 pm

blueboybob wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 8:19 pm
Any new official shorts?
That romcom list comes up short, if that counts.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 30th, 2020, 8:30 pm

blueboybob wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 8:19 pm
Any new official shorts?
No

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » July 30th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I recently had a thought "why don't the ICM mods offer us one or two treats to face these pandemic times". And here we are, just like old times, out of nowhere, 2 new official lists (since the russian is a replacement).

I wasn't expecting another romance list so soon (even though this one has less melodrama I suppose, just expecting another subgenre) and even though is a genre I'm good for it's still nice list with some breezy light movies I'm now looking forward to watch to get through Hellgust.

At the moment, I'm not inclined to explore argentinian cinema but I'm pleased to see more awards lists being official. National awards lists can be a good substitute for non available country lists. Hoping this to set a trend in turning more awards, and film festivals, to official lists. There's still plenty to go.

Overall, it was a nice surprise with 2 good additions. :cheers:

frbrown

Post by frbrown » July 30th, 2020, 8:43 pm

No Mexican list this time?

viewtopic.php?p=647552#p647552

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 30th, 2020, 8:49 pm

frbrown wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 8:43 pm
No Mexican list this time?

viewtopic.php?p=647552#p647552
Not this time, that one was released while we were already in the adoption process.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » July 30th, 2020, 9:17 pm

I love the adoption of that Argentinian list, still havent's seen much from it but I will try harder now. And it's the first adoption from one of the lists I added!}

This channel has Argentinian films with subs, some of the films from the Silver Condor list are here, hopefully more is coming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0e9La ... W2kBC6fXsw

Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot » July 30th, 2020, 9:51 pm

4 seen on Argentina, but already grabbed 3 more to quickly enjoy.
70 on the RomCom; might work on this with the gf.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » July 30th, 2020, 10:14 pm

0-for-71 on the Argentina list. Eek. And I even saw "La Cienaga" and "La Antena" in recent times. Those are Argentina, aren't they?

I wouldn't have guessed that 73% of the cinema's greatest romcoms were released post-1970s. But thank god that classics like "13 Going on 30," "Overboard" and "Trainwreck" are checks now. Ptooey on that list.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:14 pm
I wouldn't have guessed that 73% of the cinema's greatest romcoms were released post-1970s. But thank god that classics like "13 Going on 30," "Overboard" and "Trainwreck" are checks now. Ptooey on that list.
And 90% in America, the land of romance ...

PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez » July 30th, 2020, 10:44 pm

I'll also echo the sentiment that the Argentinian list is a great addition. Just a quick note on the blog post, July 9th isn't upcoming anymore!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 30th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm
Ebbywebby wrote:
Ondy, I can tell you're being sarcastic, but that's only because you don't understand how deeply and irresistibly romantic and comedic us Americans are. All we do is fall in love, break up, get back together, then break up, then get back together again and again and again. And we do it while exhibiting the most humorous aspects of mating behavior and human sociability. This is literally the full-time job of most people in this country. Just today, I fell into and out of love with three people while shopping for groceries.
:D (u) :D (l) :D

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » July 31st, 2020, 1:28 am

Once again they forgot the Pre-Code list.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 31st, 2020, 5:58 am

PGonzalez wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:44 pm
I'll also echo the sentiment that the Argentinian list is a great addition. Just a quick note on the blog post, July 9th isn't upcoming anymore!
Yeah, sorry about that. The blogpost was written about two months ago. We were waiting and waiting and waiting for the final steps. The topic in which we discussed this adoption on the modsboard was actually called "May/June 2020 Adoption Round". :(
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » July 31st, 2020, 7:04 am

Is it a coincidence that the announcement comes a few hours before the deadline for the 0-OL Poll? Just curiosity, not a problem for me, only had to remove one title from my list of favourites (Juan Moreira), I'm actually glad it's become official. Regarding the Argentinian list, I'd rather had kept the original Cóndor de Plata name just like we do with other lists (Gouden Kalf, Guldbagge, Kinemathekverbund, Cien años sin soledad, Magyar Művészeti Akadémia, etc.).

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 31st, 2020, 7:20 am

sortile9io wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:04 am
Is it a coincidence that the announcement comes a few hours before the deadline for the 0-OL Poll? Just curiosity, not a problem for me, only had to remove one title from my list of favourites (Juan Moreira), I'm actually glad it's become official. Regarding the Argentinian list, I'd rather had kept the original Cóndor de Plata name just like we do with other lists (Gouden Kalf, Guldbagge, Kinemathekverbund, Cien años sin soledad, Magyar Művészeti Akadémia, etc.).
No, that's not the reason why the lists were made official now. As joachim said above we were planning to make the list official in May or June. I know Ferg was even waiting for the lists to become official in the start of July before starting the nominations thread. It's the reason why he made a rule that films that become official in the meantime, would also be ineligible.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 31st, 2020, 9:09 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:20 am
sortile9io wrote:
No, that's not the reason why the lists were made official now. As joachim said above we were planning to make the list official in May or June. I know Ferg was even waiting for the lists to become official in the start of July before starting the nominations thread. It's the reason why he made a rule that films that become official in the meantime, would also be ineligible.
Yeah, I was hoping the blogpost could have been posted before starting the nomination thread, but I couldn't wait any longer before starting it when I did. Lonewolf also helped me realize that nothing from the newly adopted lists had made the Top 1000 last time, so the impact on the results if the lists were adopted mid-month was likely to be minimal. And yes, knowing that the adoptions were imminent, that was the main reason I made that rule explicit in the OP of the nominations thread (plus to cover those cases of lists that are constantly growing, such as Criterion). I thought of giving users a heads up on which lists were coming, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise, and there was no guarantee that the lists would indeed be adopted before the nomination deadline.

Regarding the name, you may be right. I'll discuss this with the other mods, though I'll have to revisit our previous discussion first. Thanks for pointing it out.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » July 31st, 2020, 4:30 pm

blocho wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:27 pm
Onderhond wrote:
Ebbywebby wrote:
Ondy, I can tell you're being sarcastic, but that's only because you don't understand how deeply and irresistibly romantic and comedic us Americans are. All we do is fall in love, break up, get back together, then break up, then get back together again and again and again. And we do it while exhibiting the most humorous aspects of mating behavior and human sociability. This is literally the full-time job of most people in this country. Just today, I fell into and out of love with three people while shopping for groceries.
:D (u) :D (l) :D
13 going on 30 is one of my guilty pleasures. But I hated Trainwreck.

Taking a better look on the list, I think they could improve it a LOT if they eventually do a future update. Even though I haven't seen it, I'm not sure "The Lobster" is exactly a romantic comedy!

P.S.: I think you can remove "List published April 2013. Updated and expanded in October 2018" from the headline.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » July 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm

dirty_score wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 4:30 pm
Even though I haven't seen it, I'm not sure "The Lobster" is exactly a romantic comedy!
Or "WALL-E"? Or "Beauty and the Beast"? Really, about 15 of those films that don't casually fit the genre for me.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 31st, 2020, 7:08 pm

blocho wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:27 pm
Onderhond wrote:
Ebbywebby wrote:
All we do is fall in love, break up, get back together, then break up, then get back together again and again and again.
Hence the two-party system in the US... :P
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 31st, 2020, 7:30 pm

I'm glad to see a romcom list - but not this list in particular. Not only is it an extremely limited list with by my count roughly 15 non-American films (and most of those are English-language) and 3/4 of the films from the last 40 years, but there are a lot of weird choices. Great that there's a P&P film but.. A Matter of Life and Death over I Know Where I'm Going!? One can argue about the relative merits of the two films but the former is really stretching it as a romantic comedy, while the latter is practically a paradigm-setter in the category. Lots of not-very-funny choices as others have mentioned; I wouldn't have thought to suggest La La Land for such a list but seeing a lot of these strange picks it would have fit right in. Props for having some downers and more intense films I guess? And to be fair, props for several LGBTQ and/or ethnic minority-focused films - so it's not so narrowly focused in those areas. But overall it's a pretty mystifying selection IMO; then again I seem to recall a discussion of rom-com lists some time back and there wasn't much consensus on any particular one; maybe there just aren't any really good lists out there that hit enough of the criteria? At least not for me. Eh. I'm at 70 seen and there are a few that interest me so I'm sure I'll work up to silver before long, but it doesn't look like something I'm going to try hard to complete.

Argentine list looks interesting, but I've seen so little (4) that I really can't add anything to that discussion.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 31st, 2020, 8:07 pm

One of the things that I personally liked about the romcom list (aside from it's relatively large queer inclusion as OldAle mentioned), is that it was 100-titles long. Most of the other romcom lists floating around that were considering were only 50-titles long, and I felt that was too small for such a popular genre. Because there are so many films, any list is bound to have some surprising omissions, but I think the merits of this list outweigh the detriments. Plus, given that it's been updated once already, there's a good change they'll update it again in the future.

That being said, if a better list came along, I could possibly be swayed to replace it :D
dirty_score wrote:
Taking a better look on the list, I think they could improve it a LOT if they eventually do a future update. Even though I haven't seen it, I'm not sure "The Lobster" is exactly a romantic comedy!

P.S.: I think you can remove "List published April 2013. Updated and expanded in October 2018" from the headline.
Why do you want to remove it? I think it's useful information to provide the user as it conveys that it's a list that has been updated (and will hopefully be updated again). Personally, I like to know that information without having to dig around the source or check through past histories of the list. Plus, I don't think it detracts from anything else posted in the description. :)

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » July 31st, 2020, 8:18 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:07 pm

dirty_score wrote:

Why do you want to remove it? I think it's useful information to provide the user as it conveys that it's a list that has been updated (and will hopefully be updated again). Personally, I like to know that information without having to dig around the source or check through past histories of the list. Plus, I don't think it detracts from anything else posted in the description. :)
It's fine by me if you guys want to leave it. It's just that other lists (e.g. Timeout's romance list) don't have that information in the headline and because it's usually displayed at the end of the list: Last updated on Oct 27, 2018 by Panunzio

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 31st, 2020, 8:31 pm

dirty_score wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:18 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:07 pm

dirty_score wrote:

It's fine by me if you guys want to leave it. It's just that other lists (e.g. Timeout's romance list) don't have that information in the headline and because it's usually displayed at the end of the list: Last updated on Oct 27, 2018 by Panunzio
Fair point. My (albeit not too strong) preference would be to include that information, but it's much easier for these new lists as we adopt them than it is to go back and adjust the older ones. I hadn't paid much notice to whether or not other lists have that info provided (though I know us mods marked down the frequency of list updates in our master reference sheet for official lists to help us remember to look out for those annual or decennial updates).

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 1st, 2020, 12:04 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm
New official lists are up!
maybe it was just me, but I couldn't find a link to the Silver Condor in the blog post (but found links to the RomCom, Russian, and lists that had updates).

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2020, 12:12 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:04 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm
New official lists are up!
maybe it was just me, but I couldn't find a link to the Silver Condor in the blog post (but found links to the RomCom, Russian, and lists that had updates).
It’s linked as the word ‘this’, I agree it’s hard to spot.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 1st, 2020, 7:12 am

Nobody else has completed the Russian list once again. I think it's 3/3 for the sole-platinum ushanka achievement.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 1st, 2020, 10:16 am

OldAle1 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:30 pm
I'm glad to see a romcom list - but not this list in particular. Not only is it an extremely limited list with by my count roughly 15 non-American films (and most of those are English-language) and 3/4 of the films from the last 40 years, but there are a lot of weird choices. Great that there's a P&P film but.. A Matter of Life and Death over I Know Where I'm Going!? One can argue about the relative merits of the two films but the former is really stretching it as a romantic comedy, while the latter is practically a paradigm-setter in the category. Lots of not-very-funny choices as others have mentioned; I wouldn't have thought to suggest La La Land for such a list but seeing a lot of these strange picks it would have fit right in. Props for having some downers and more intense films I guess? And to be fair, props for several LGBTQ and/or ethnic minority-focused films - so it's not so narrowly focused in those areas. But overall it's a pretty mystifying selection IMO; then again I seem to recall a discussion of rom-com lists some time back and there wasn't much consensus on any particular one; maybe there just aren't any really good lists out there that hit enough of the criteria? At least not for me. Eh. I'm at 70 seen and there are a few that interest me so I'm sure I'll work up to silver before long, but it doesn't look like something I'm going to try hard to complete.

Argentine list looks interesting, but I've seen so little (4) that I really can't add anything to that discussion.
That’s indeed was the case for this genre (as it more often is). That’s why we decided to adopt this flawed list (yes it’s heavily skewed towards post 70s English language movies), cause like Ferge said it’s has a representation of LHBTQ films and because we found it to be a good size for such a popular genre, instead of waiting for a perfect list (which might never come).

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 1st, 2020, 8:24 pm

Said so to the other mods during my brief tenure, but I'm going to throw this out for users: as long as we look to English medium publications and websites for lists, we're going to have a preponderance of English language movies. Not saying they won't include foreign language films, but it's about giving their audience what they want and what use would the 100 Most Obscure RomComs from Countries You've Never Heard Of (but we promise, these are great movies) actually be to a website's general readerbase?

So, that said, if any users who speak/read French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Hindi, etc have access to similar movie lists with a focus anywhere other than Hollywood, please share them. Let someone know if you need help getting the list on iCM - there's always someone around who'll lend a hand.

sol can find me here

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

I have been away without internet for a while so catching up on all of this now.

Really happy to finally get a list focusing on Argentinian cinema, though I generally prefer critic lists/polls to awards this seems like a strong selection. It was also not a list on my radar. I had been working little on the unofficial Top 100 from Argentina 1933-1999 list:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+ ... ulanarchy/ but never spotted/looked into this.

Not too interested in the RomCom list (see its value though), but good switch for Russia

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm
I have been away without internet for a while so catching up on all of this now.

Really happy to finally get a list focusing on Argentinian cinema, though I generally prefer critic lists/polls to awards this seems like a strong selection. It was also not a list on my radar. I had been working little on the unofficial Top 100 from Argentina 1933-1999 list:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+ ... ulanarchy/ but never spotted/looked into this.

Not too interested in the RomCom list (see its value though), but good switch for Russia
Argentina has some very interesting filmmakers at the moment, but this list does't include much of their work (mostly because It is only made up of a list of yearly winners), so I'm not inclined to give it much attention, and I'm one interested in exploring more Argentine cinema.
Last edited by cinewest on August 3rd, 2020, 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 2nd, 2020, 3:44 pm

dirty_score wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:58 pm
mjf314 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm
dirty_score wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:12 am
Just having seen "Berlin Calling" I thought a Music list (like the IMDB one) would be really nice. (Are there really any good ones?)

Maybe a new Musical list too. The BFI list only has 6 movies from the 21st century.
I don't know if it's good, but here's a music list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/time ... iedearest/
Thanks. It seems quite decent and very eclectic but ideally, to me, would be less documentary and biographical. Something like "Whiplash", "Once" or "Coco".

Maybe with some dancing movies? 31 Best Dance Movies of All Time :sweat:
As someone who absolutely loves musicals with great dancing, I have to say that this list really sucks.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 2nd, 2020, 3:47 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:24 pm
max-scl wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:45 pm
The Mexican list we've been waiting for:
(Poll on 27 experts, from 2020)
https://www.sectorcine.com/noticias-not ... mexicanas/

I added it to Icm, a couple of films that weren't on the database are missing (I've added them but cant add to the list yet) edit:done
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/sect ... e/max-scl/
Nice find max. We, mods, will definitely look into adopting this.
This list of Mexican films looks very solid, and should be seriously considered for adoption.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » August 2nd, 2020, 6:37 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

I was kind of working on that list too, and I find it better than the Silver Condor, but I understand why the mods don't want to adopt that one.
This one has the advantage of having newer movies and getting updates for the coming years.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 4th, 2020, 7:42 pm

sortile9io wrote:
Regarding the Argentinian list, I'd rather had kept the original Cóndor de Plata name just like we do with other lists (Gouden Kalf, Guldbagge, Kinemathekverbund, Cien años sin soledad, Magyar Művészeti Akadémia, etc.).
We agree with you. Name changed:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/cond ... nian+film/
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » August 4th, 2020, 8:14 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:42 pm
sortile9io wrote:
Regarding the Argentinian list, I'd rather had kept the original Cóndor de Plata name just like we do with other lists (Gouden Kalf, Guldbagge, Kinemathekverbund, Cien años sin soledad, Magyar Művészeti Akadémia, etc.).
"The awards are considered Argentina's equivalent of the Academy Awards"
The Academy Awards are the Premios Sur. ;)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 4th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Angel Glez wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:14 pm
joachimt wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:42 pm
sortile9io wrote:
"The awards are considered Argentina's equivalent of the Academy Awards"
The Academy Awards are the Premios Sur. ;)
True, the Premios Sur are analogous to the Oscars in terms of who gives out the award (i.e. an Academy of film professionals), but my understanding is that in terms of reknown/prestige, the Condor de Plata awards are better known/more prestigious/have been around a lot longer.

Plus, that sentence was probably taken directly from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine ... ssociation :P