Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th), 1951 (Sep 4th), 500<400 (Sep 23rd)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The TV Lounge

sebby

Re: The TV Lounge

Post by sebby » May 6th, 2020, 4:53 am

Jeremy Irons was the highlight for me. The fishing scene, the catapult, everything. He was glorious.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 9th, 2020, 7:43 am

We just finished The Office. I didn't really remember any of the jokes or anything other than how the special ended so it was almost liking watching it for the first time. Season 1 was ok, but the show really shines in season 2. I think I chuckled a couple of times in the first season, but season 2 I was laughing at a lot of stuff. I think they perfected the long awkward scenes and moments, whereas season 1 is a little too accurate at its everyday drabness. My boyfriend felt similarly, and I didn't hear a laugh out of him until season 2 but he thought it was "pretty good" overall. There were also a few bits of dialogue that were obviously inspired by things said on the XFM show which we got an extra giggle out of as well. My boyfriend said his favourite bit was Stephen Merchant's brief appearance lol. When I told him Smerch was a regular in Extras he said he was looking forward it to more so I'm glad he shares my love for Steve.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 10th, 2020, 2:00 am

Has anybody watched Justin Roiland's new Hulu series Solar Opposites? The whole season was made available yesterday. I'm going to check it out sometime this month.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » May 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Just finished Better Call Saul. I over did the binge watching and got sick if it after watching three seasons in a week. So I just skipped to the last two episodes of season five to get it out the way. Kim Wexler was the highlight. 😍

Currently making my way through Schitt's Creek and Looking for Alaska. Both are pretty solid.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 11th, 2020, 12:51 am

I can now confirm that Solar Opposites is very funny. It probably doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from Rick and Morty, but the good news is that its quality is up to the standard of that show, so if you like it, you'll like this one.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 11th, 2020, 3:55 am

We Are One wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm
Just finished Better Call Saul. I over did the binge watching and got sick if it after watching three seasons in a week. So I just skipped to the last two episodes of season five to get it out the way. Kim Wexler was the highlight. 😍
:facepalm:

Hopefully at a later time you go back and watch all the episodes you missed...because you really are missing out on some pretty great stuff.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Finished rewatching Extras. I think this is the third or fourth time I’ve watched it. I previously rated it a 9/10, but I’ve upped it to a 10 now, and to my #2 tv show ever. It’s just really amazing, every character and actor is great, it’s hilarious (Willy Wonka? Johnny Wanker), even though the overall narrative is sort of ‘generic’, it feels fresh and original and mixes the humour and serious parts well. I always tear up during the last scene lol. Ricky’s surprisingly versatile, Steve’s face is amazing, Maggie and Andy’s relationship is great.. just really good solid stuff. The only thing I don’t like about is the Jonathan Ross stuff because it’s totally clearly Ricky just wanted to mess around with his friend and it doesn’t work that well. Bf said it was one of the best shows he’s seen and was sad there wasn’t more.

Then we decided to try rewatching Firefly (which I haven’t seen in nearly 10 years and he hasn’t seen). Just the pilot so far. Oooh boy it has aged badly. It’s entire aesthetic is early 2000s cheap TV sci-fi and it’s kind of painful. It’s cheesy and dated and the melodrama also hurts. Also kind of slow and ‘hurry up and finish’. I can’t see this staying a 10/10 or in my top 5 after this.. Bf fell asleep near the end so I guess he wasn’t interested either lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm

I love series 1 of Extras. Haven't watched s2 much (back in the day, I had s1 on DVD but not s2). I did re-watch s2 again a couple of years ago and liked it more than the first time but I still find s2 a bit too painful to watch with Andy's constant suffering whereas s1 didn't have that so much. I just didn't like the parts as much where Andy is getting constant abuse from celebrities or from that rival guy who is now an actor and who he hates. Maggie is brilliant in it, really great character and her relationship with Andy is the key to the whole show working. She has this real naivety. There's a really powerful part where Andy has been treating her really badly it shows her struggling and they play This Woman's Work and I thought they did it very effectively. In fact, I rated the finale quite highly on a re-watch. I also still laugh thinking about the Mitchell brothers scene (not sure how well it works if you're not familiar with Eastenders)? Stephen Merchant is good too as the agent.

The Office is probably in my top 5 of all time and Extras is also very good (especially series 1). I posted about it recently but I still haven't watched anything else by Ricky Gervais despite highly rating his first two programmes. I did start Life's Too Short but gave up halfway through the second episode. It was like a bad imitation of The Office/Extras and the cruel humour about him being a dwarf didn't really work and made me tune out very quickly.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Then we decided to try rewatching Firefly (which I haven’t seen in nearly 10 years and he hasn’t seen). Just the pilot so far. Oooh boy it has aged badly. It’s entire aesthetic is early 2000s cheap TV sci-fi and it’s kind of painful. It’s cheesy and dated and the melodrama also hurts.
That was my reaction when I tried to watch it. I liked Serenity, so I gave the TV show a try. But the cheap aesthetic, as Mighty puts it, was a drawback, and I found the story bland and boring.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I finished Solar Opposites. Episode 7 is one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen, with some genuinely heartbreaking moments and phenomenal, ambitious storytelling. This show might be better than Rick and Morty. My initial impression that it's too similar to that show was very wrong.

Next up for me is The Midnight Gospel.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2020, 11:45 pm

AdamH wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm
I love series 1 of Extras. Haven't watched s2 much (back in the day, I had s1 on DVD but not s2). I did re-watch s2 again a couple of years ago and liked it more than the first time but I still find s2 a bit too painful to watch with Andy's constant suffering whereas s1 didn't have that so much. I just didn't like the parts as much where Andy is getting constant abuse from celebrities or from that rival guy who is now an actor and who he hates. Maggie is brilliant in it, really great character and her relationship with Andy is the key to the whole show working. She has this real naivety. There's a really powerful part where Andy has been treating her really badly it shows her struggling and they play This Woman's Work and I thought they did it very effectively. In fact, I rated the finale quite highly on a re-watch. I also still laugh thinking about the Mitchell brothers scene (not sure how well it works if you're not familiar with Eastenders)? Stephen Merchant is good too as the agent.
I thought season 2 was stronger than season 1 because I thought the transformation of Andy was really good and I ‘liked’ the suffering. I think it was in the special but I really loved the moment when Andy gets the extra fired and the shots of Maggie watching in horror. You don’t really expect a comedy to be quite so emotional and powerful like that. I feel like Maggie is based off Karl Pilkington but without his negativity and moaning. She is a really great character, probably one of the best female characters ever, and yea their relationship gives the whole show a really strong emotional core and I love that there’s no romance or anything like that. Don’t even remember the Mitchell brothers thing so I guess it doesn’t work lol

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2020, 11:56 pm

blocho wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm
mightysparks wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Then we decided to try rewatching Firefly (which I haven’t seen in nearly 10 years and he hasn’t seen). Just the pilot so far. Oooh boy it has aged badly. It’s entire aesthetic is early 2000s cheap TV sci-fi and it’s kind of painful. It’s cheesy and dated and the melodrama also hurts.
That was my reaction when I tried to watch it. I liked Serenity, so I gave the TV show a try. But the cheap aesthetic, as Mighty puts it, was a drawback, and I found the story bland and boring.
I was really disappointed and sad. I’ve watched this show a lot of times and it’s been my #2 of all time for ages but now it feels like a cheap parody that’s not funny. It used to always have my attention and I loved the characters and the humour and now none of it really works. I found the first episode pretty boring this time and went on far too long. And it’s just so ugly. I hope Serenity is still good..

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 16th, 2020, 2:25 am

Bf and I decided to rewatch Breaking Bad and watched about half of the first season yesterday. We both haven't seen it since it ended but it has been on my mind for a while and neither of us were happy with Firefly so we swapped to BB instead. Bf considers it his favourite show of all time, I think it made my top 20 but will probably climb a little higher. Such a brilliant show. Great pacing, writing, characterisation, acting, music. Aaron Paul seems so young after seeing him in Westworld recently.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 24th, 2020, 9:34 am

We’re into season 4 of Breaking Bad now. The first two seasons definitely had more ‘magic’ but it’s still good. Season 3 felt a little more generic and TV-like but season 4 has improved a little. Neither are bad by any means though.

A couple of years ago I attempted to watch Rick and Morty but only got 30 seconds into the first ep. Got through the first ep just now and wow it’s so bad. What is funny about this show? It’s like Family Guy with more interesting visuals. Yuck.

sebby

Post by sebby » May 24th, 2020, 10:39 am

The humor is much more acerbic than Family Guy. But it's still pretty nichey.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 24th, 2020, 6:46 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:34 am
We’re into season 4 of Breaking Bad now. The first two seasons definitely had more ‘magic’ but it’s still good. Season 3 felt a little more generic and TV-like but season 4 has improved a little. Neither are bad by any means though.

A couple of years ago I attempted to watch Rick and Morty but only got 30 seconds into the first ep. Got through the first ep just now and wow it’s so bad. What is funny about this show? It’s like Family Guy with more interesting visuals. Yuck.
a) Yay Breaking Bad! Mostly because my old man dog is named Walter White.
b) You did kinda hit the nail on the head with "Family Guy with better visuals". I'm watching it now, but only when high out of my mind. It's fun then. Turn off brain, see weird shit.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 3rd, 2020, 1:25 am

We finished Breaking Bad a couple of days ago. It's weird how addictive that show is even after having seen everything already. There were a lot of things I'd completely forgotten and others that I hadn't remembered correctly. I'd previously rated it 9/10 and I stand by the rating. There are some weaker portions of the show and though they are never bad, they are noticeable dips in quality. Possibly minor spoilers below.

Once Skylar finds out about Walt, their scenes start to feel overly melodramatic and soap opera-ish (particularly with some lame dialogue), though they have the occasional good scene together. The scene with Walt lying under the house, laughing maniacally was great. The character of Andrea is the worst in the entire show: just a weak, pointless, empty character with a terrible actor, and the kid sucked too. Considering how important they became to Jesse, I had zero feelings attached to them--or Jesse's feelings towards them--and it prevented some of the later events from having as much of an impact. Their existence seemed entirely to give Jesse something to 'lose', an instant family, but without having any depth or authenticity.

I also really hated Skylar the first time around, but I blamed it on the actor. This time, I thought she was perfect for the part and realised the hatred of her character was on purpose. She is such a naggy, overly controlling bitch of a housewife, and the actor being extremely unattractive and bitchy/crazy looking really helps keep her far from our side. Even when Walt is gaslighting her, somehow we still manage to stay on his side because she's just so irritating, but she's in the right almost the entire show.

I don't remember liking Hank much either, but now he's probably my favourite character after Walt. I really liked the way the show dealt with the trauma of all the characters in general, but Hank's character change kind of mirrored Walt's and it was interesting seeing him develop.

I also remember people talking about how Walt's character changed from good guy to villain and they hated him by the end, but I never felt that the first time and tried to pick up on it this time. I don't think he ever actually became a bad guy, he just did a few bad things, but if I had to pinpoint the moment when I started feeling less positive towards him it was season 5. Even though I might not agree with all his actions, I agree with his motivations and was still on his side. But we do start to see less and less of his decision making and
SpoilerShow
when we realise he did poison the kid, we feel lied to and more betrayed because we weren't there with him to understand his reasons and he fools us for the whole episode. We also don't even see him get his returned cancer diagnosis in season 5 and never really know for sure what he's lying about.
And when we get to season 5
SpoilerShow
He's defeated the 'big bad' and his feelings of insecurity and worthlessness suddenly vanish. Although he's been cocky and arrogant before in the show, he's almost defined by those traits in the final season and it becomes harder to like him. Kinda the same development as Daenerys in GoT, except that it was obvious from the start that she was a spoilt bitch.

Then we rounded it off with the Breaking Bad movie. I thought the film took place years after Breaking Bad so yea. The film was ok, but most of the scenes felt like filler. The flashbacks were not necessary, with the exception of ONE, in terms of moving the plot forward or developing Jesse's character. Some were just plain confusing and all of them had me thinking 'so what?'. The chemistry between characters felt off, the characters that do appear are the most minor and 'boring' ones, and we have no reason to care about the new characters, so there's never much of a spark of any kind. Aaron Paul maybe does not have quite what it takes to be a leading man. It also drags a lot and doesn't have the snappy pacing of the show. It was still nice to see more of the world and follow Jesse for a little longer, but is not a stand-alone film and doesn't add that much.

And now... we have started watching Better Call Saul. We're only two eps in at this point and I'm liking it so far, but it is quite different from Breaking Bad and I still have to settle into its world.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 3rd, 2020, 2:15 am

mightysparks wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 1:25 am
I also really hated Skylar the first time around, but I blamed it on the actor. This time, I thought she was perfect for the part and realised the hatred of her character was on purpose. She is such a naggy, overly controlling bitch of a housewife, and the actor being extremely unattractive and bitchy/crazy looking really helps keep her far from our side. Even when Walt is gaslighting her, somehow we still manage to stay on his side because she's just so irritating, but she's in the right almost the entire show.
Whoa. I had a very different reaction to the movie. I always thought Walt was a popular character because he was so compelling, a truly tragic figure in the classical sense of a person brought low by their internal flaws, but I can't imagine liking him. He's a horrifying human being. Skylar, while I don't find her particularly appealing, is continually mistreated by Walt. Is it naggy and bitchy to be upset when your husband continually lies to you and endangers your family?

sebby

Post by sebby » June 3rd, 2020, 2:20 am

Both Walt and Skylar are pieces of shit to some degree. The difference to me is that Walt was a compelling one.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 3rd, 2020, 2:23 am

sebby wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:20 am
Both Walt and Skylar are pieces of shit to some degree. The difference to me is that Walt was a compelling one.
That's fair.
SpoilerShow
Skylar becomes very morally compromised in the later seasons.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 3rd, 2020, 2:27 am

blocho wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:15 am
mightysparks wrote:
Whoa. I had a very different reaction to the movie. I always thought Walt was a popular character because he was so compelling, a truly tragic figure in the classical sense of a person brought low by their internal flaws, but I can't imagine liking him. He's a horrifying human being. Skylar, while I don't find her particularly appealing, is continually mistreated by Walt. Is it naggy and bitchy to be upset when your husband continually lies to you and endangers your family?
That's what I mean though, she comes across as naggy and bitchy but she's completely in the right to be. But all the characters around Walt are sort of created to seem negative in comparison to him. I find Walt pretty likable for the most part, but I agree that this is very much due to the way he's positioned and Bryan Cranston's performance rather than his actions.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 3rd, 2020, 3:04 am

mightysparks wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:27 am
blocho wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
That's what I mean though, she comes across as naggy and bitchy but she's completely in the right to be. But all the characters around Walt are sort of created to seem negative in comparison to him. I find Walt pretty likable for the most part, but I agree that this is very much due to the way he's positioned and Bryan Cranston's performance rather than his actions.
Dang. I just realized my eye skipped over the last clause in your original post. My bad.

Lauren, there's a TV critic in the US named Alan Sepinwall who's fairly popular. I've really enjoyed reading his episode-by-episode analyses of several shows. Maybe you would as well. If you're interested, his writing on Breaking Bad can be found here. The link also contains interviews he's done with people involved in making the show. Sepinwall has also done similar work on Better Call Saul, which can easily be found elsewhere on the internet.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 3rd, 2020, 3:50 am

blocho wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 3:04 am
mightysparks wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:27 am
blocho wrote:

Dang. I just realized my eye skipped over the last clause in your original post. My bad.

Lauren, there's a TV critic in the US named Alan Sepinwall who's fairly popular. I've really enjoyed reading his episode-by-episode analyses of several shows. Maybe you would as well. If you're interested, his writing on Breaking Bad can be found here. The link also contains interviews he's done with people involved in making the show. Sepinwall has also done similar work on Better Call Saul, which can easily be found elsewhere on the internet.
Sounds interesting, I'll give them a read. Breaking Bad has so much going on I love reading what other people have to say about it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 13th, 2020, 4:01 am

The episode (1.3) of Better Call Saul I watched immediately after my last post was the episode that got me hooked. We're up to the last ep of season 3 now. Really great show and I'm annoyed I ignored it for so long but at least I get to enjoy it now. I like all the characters and it's never boring. I like Mike and his plots significantly more than Saul's stuff, but it's still all really good. I'll go back and read everyone else's comments when I finally catch up... Very different to Breaking Bad, but still has the same sense of humour and style.

When we first started watching I kept thinking that I really liked the guy who played Nacho, there was just something about his presence and voice that I immediately liked, and then I started wondering if it was Vaas from Far Cry 3 and of course, it was. I had the exact same thought process when he appeared in Orphan Black as well. And Vaas in Far Cry 3 was basically the reason I fell in love with that game (wanted to kill him sooo bad) and got back into gaming. So idk what it is about that guy but he's a solid actor and I really like him.

Last night we watched the ep where
SpoilerShow
Nacho swaps Hector's pills.
Amazing episode with some really great tension. Best ep of the show so far. My hands even got clammy lol. We also watched the one after where
SpoilerShow
Kim crashes her car
Probably the most interesting and effective car crash scene I've ever seen.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 14th, 2020, 7:02 am

The ending of Season 3 was fantastic and the scenes you mentioned are highlights of the show. The best is yet to come though.

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 25th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Finished season 5 of Better Call Saul yesterday. Overall, I really love the show. I think the characters are great and it's always interesting and entertaining. The last season was probably the weakest, but I still really liked it.

SpoilerShow
Mike had a lot of really generic scenes and dialogue this season, which was disappointing because for most of the show his stuff was my favourite. Except for his awful daughter in law who is by far the worst actor and character on the show. She is the only character I'd be truly happy seeing die.

The desert stuff was cool though. Seeing Jimmy transform more into Saul has also been cool.

Kim's character has also stopped developing over the last two seasons and just feels very stale and repetitive. I don't dislike her, but she's kind of pointless now. Jimmy and Kim's relationship has been one of the best things about the show, though (and still is). It's interesting seeing a more realistic portrayal of a romantic relationship, one that isn't overly mushy, one that isn't all about the big wedding and kids and the generic fairy tale ending, and with two people who are still very much their own individual characters (and I really liked Kim's response to Howard's comments about how she makes her own decisions). It's very similar to my relationship with my boyfriend so it's easy to find believable.

As mentioned before, I really like Michael Mando as an actor and Nacho overtook Mike as my favourite character some time ago. I can't see him surviving but I want him to :( I think Lalo is also really interesting.

Gus has been a bit of a letdown in the show. I don't find him anywhere near as menacing or interesting as in Breaking Bad, but obviously he's not one of the major villains here so maybe that's the case but I loved him in BB and here I'm just like eh.

I felt like the show lost a little with Chuck's death, but at the same time I hated the character (in a good way, he was just such an annoying asshole) and I thought his death was good for Jimmy's character development.

Can't really think of anything else to say off the top of my head. We're really sad we don't have any more to watch lol. We started trying to find something new today. We watched about 5 minutes of Space Force before I went 'this show seems really bad' and my boyfriend was like 'it sucks, I hate it' so maybe it gets better later but I doubt it and recommend staying away from it.

So we decided to watch After Life instead since we both happy to watch anything with Ricky Gervais. It's ok. We ended up watching 5 eps. It's entertaining enough and there are enough funny bits to guarantee a couple of laughs each episode. But it lacks energy, there's no chemistry between anyone, there's no character development, it feels sterile and preachy. It feels really rushed, and the dialogue is either amusing Ricky joke or really unsubtle crap about how great life is (like, the meaning behind what they say is fine but it's just done with no finesse in the writing or delivery). There's no flow to anything, it just jumps around and rushes to the point, there's never any room to let anything sit or linger with the viewer.

His dead wife is actually the most irritating person in the world and makes me glad she's dead so she's not in more of the show which is not good since she should really be part of the emotional core of the show. The other characters are just nothing. I would only recommend this show for people who just really like Ricky because I think otherwise you'd hate it.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 25th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Said some of this before but absolutely love The Office (one of my favourite programmes) and I really like Extras too. I have recently tried watching Life's Too Short (gave up after 1.5 episodes) and Derek (gave up after about 5-10 minutes).

I watched After Life a few weeks ago. It's the best thing I've seen from Ricky Gervais since Extras and the only thing I've actually watched in full. Having said that, there were several things I disliked about it too. Some of the scenes when he talked about his wife felt too full-on and it actually made them feel fake. It was kind of like it was emotional scenes for the sake of it rather than as part of the storyline. I found it definitely watchable and entertaining and I was able to watch it all quite quickly (unlike the two above where I struggled to even watch an episode or two). I'd call it entertaining but flawed. The Office felt very realistic and genuine whereas After Life felt forced.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 25th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Yeah that's the main problem, nothing about it feels genuine. I agree about the emotional scenes, it does kind of feel like 'look how deep we can be and isn't this sooo sad' but without any of the development to make me care. I do like it enough to watch it and likely finish it, probably give it a 6/10 at this point.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » June 25th, 2020, 4:31 pm

mightysparks Hi, I'm glad you enjoyed BCS as much as I did and I agree with everything, except with Mike's daughter in law, who is practically an extra. You nailed! about Michael Mando's character, my favorite and who I do care most !

ps. I saw and enjoyed the 2 Space Force's eps, some scenes/jokes a little forced but I had fun overall. No comments on 'After Life' I'm afraid.

Cheers

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 26th, 2020, 4:24 am

I always got a skeevy vibe from Mike's daughter-in-law, like she's always manipulating him into giving her more money.

I think that
SpoilerShow
after the end of Season 5, Nacho's survival chances just plunged to infinitely close to 0. I just don't see them writing him out of this. His father's survival chances plunged too. :(

I liked Kim's Season 5 material way more to you, mainly because of the multiple surprises that made me recontextualize her whole arc as something much deeper than, "Oh no, Jimmy is corrupting her." Into, "the real reason these two connected so deeply in the first place might be over a shared bitterness towards successful assholes who deep down they want revenge on." With Jimmy's reaction I think he was taking a hard second look at her too.
Last edited by outdoorcats on June 26th, 2020, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 26th, 2020, 4:28 am

outdoorcats wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 4:24 am
I always got a skeevy vibe from Mike's daughter-in-law, like she's always manipulating him into giving her more money.

I think that
SpoilerShow
after the end of Season 5, Nacho's survival chances just plunged to infinitely close to 0. I just don't see them writing him out of this. His father's survival chances plunged too. :(
Yeah I agree with both points. Every time Mike is like 'IM DOING THIS FOR MY FAMILY' it's like they're not worth it, that woman is a cow.

SpoilerShow
I can't see Nacho AND his father surviving, but I'm hoping at least one makes it out alive...

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 26th, 2020, 4:30 am

Damn, you replied before I got my edit in about Kim!

Mike's daughter-in-law stinks, but I'm pretty sure we've seen her in Breaking Bad, albeit played by a different actress. So, not dying, probably.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 26th, 2020, 4:55 am

To comment on the Kim edit:
SpoilerShow
I didn't really find it surprising in that way because that had always been part of her character, and I never felt that Jimmy was corrupting her and those parts of personality started coming more to the surface after her accident. She was always very insistent that she was making her own decisions and she seemed to like indulging in that part of herself. I think perhaps Jimmy helped give her the opportunities to indulge, but that's about the extent of his influence.
And yea I don't think the daughter in law will die, I just want her to :(

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 30th, 2020, 9:04 am

I've been doing a big re-watch of The Simpsons over the past couple of months. St. Gloede and I had a discussion of the decline in quality of The Simpsons in the podcast pilot and it inspired me to re-watch.

I watched S1-S8 in random order just to give some variety and tried to rate each episode. Not always that easy to give a rating but gave a rough one to each episode.

Ended up with the following ranking:
1-Season 4
2-Season 6
3-Season 3
4-Season 2
5-Season 7 (2 and 7 are very similar in rating for me)
6-Season 5
7-Season 8

I find Season 1 very difficult to rate properly as it's such a short season compared to the others and it's a different type of programme but I'd put it ahead of season 8 at least. It lacks great episodes that exist in all the other seasons and has some weak ones but I really like seeing how the show developed early on and the characters are very real. I also had S1-3 on VHS as a kid so there's more nostalgia value there.

I like Season 1 (and the shorts) but the quality is a bit more patchy and the characters aren't fully developed. I love season 2-4. It's still got the feel of them being a real family and more like a sitcom. I think season 5 is very popular online but it gets a bit zany and Homer is a bit annoying in some of the episodes so I put it lower down. Season 6 is then excellent. Season 7 is very good too and season 8 is the weakest of the classic era for me. Still good but it starts to have the odd episode that I don't rate as highly and it's comfortably the weakest of the classic era for me.

I'm now re-watching S9-12 aka 'The Mike Scully era' aka 'When The Simpsons starts to suck'. Only watched a few episodes so far and I've tried to pick out ones I remember liking/where the plot sounds good. From what I've seen so far and from what I remember of the episodes, I'm expecting Season 9 to be decent and closer to Season 8 quality. I've watched the early years many times but I've probably only seen S9-12 once or twice and I'm not even sure I've seen every episode from S11-12 as that was when I stopped watching when it originally aired. I just watched Alone Again Natura-Diddly from Season 11 and it's the first episode I've absolutely hated. Truly awful. I mean it was so awful that it's put me off continuing the re-watch but I'll keep going anyway.

There are a few classic-era episodes where Homer is just a horrible character but it tends to be certain moments or the odd episode but the Mike Scully era seems to have made that his main personality-trait. He was always shown as lazy, a bad father etc. but with redeeming qualities. It's hard to watch some of the later episodes when he's just a full-on horrible person.

Does anyone still watch/did anyone keep watching after season 12? Is it worth continuing? Honestly, very interested in hearing if anyone here still liked it after the 'classic era' ended. I'm really trying to give the post-classic seasons a chance and hoping to like them.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 30th, 2020, 2:28 pm

I stopped watching after season 9. It just became apparent early in season 10 that the show had lost something. It's a shame -- it felt like such a cultural unifier in its heyday. It's beyond belief that the show is still limping along more than two decades later.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » June 30th, 2020, 2:50 pm

I had to look up where exactly I "checked out" on The Simpsons, and I think it was season 12 (in 2001) where I stopped watching, since the last episode that I could recall watching was that episode where Bart and friends are in a boy band and are unwittingly recording songs with subliminal messages about joining the Navy. I think the show was strong up through season 9, then for me it was those seasons 10 through 12 where I could really notice the drop-off and I stopped caring about the show. In the years since, I only ever checked out an episode (or really, the intro to an episode) whenever I heard that they had a notably inspired intro, like the ones that Banksy and Don Hertzfeldt made, or when they made a Studio Ghibli homage in one sequence.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 30th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Yeah, I quit around Year 12 originally and season 10-12 seems to be when it got really bad (with the occasional decent episode). It then became Homer being an idiot to everyone, random guest stars showing up all the time, crazy final acts to episodes, Homer getting a new job in almost every episode etc. There's even Homer getting raped by a panda :facepalm:

I'm going to persevere and try to at least finish up until the end of Year 12 and see what I think of each season.

I find it sad to see The Simpsons limping on (as you accurately described it) after all these years. I honestly wonder who still watches it? I absolutely loved it for years when I was a kid and haven't watched new episodes for about 20 years (I have seen the occasional one like 24 Minutes).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 1st, 2020, 12:15 am

I liked it as a kid but haven’t watched it at all since I was 11/12 (~2003), and at that point it was mostly just when they would have the all day marathons on Christmas or the treehouse of horrors. I never watched it religiously so I don’t know what I’ve seen or haven’t seen, but I was pretty bored of it by that age. It must be pretty awful now.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 1st, 2020, 6:57 am

The Simpson is super interesting to me in so far as it was, for a stretch of nearly 150 episodes, the funniest thing that's ever been on TV, and now, for a stretch of episodes nearly double that, it's been arguably the least funny thing. Unwatchably awful. No other media entity has overstayed its welcome to this degree. Almost surreal.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 1st, 2020, 7:03 am

yo that's what happens when a tv show makes two billion dollars during its first year. nothing had ever been so successful before. that's enough money to keep it going for like another twenty seasons.

not a single person alive will manage to outlive the Marvel films.