Happy Canada Day!
Watch as many films from the Great White North as possible from July 1st, 2020 until July 31st, 2020.
- A feature film (Anything 40 minutes or over) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For TV Series and Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For TV Series and Mini-Series with shorter episodes, the 60 minute rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed and are good for the soul.
- Try to use your own common sense regarding eligibility and/or ask when in doubt. If it's on any of the lists linked in this post, then it's eligible. If it was nominated for or won a Genie/Gemini/Canadian Screen Award/Etrog, then it's eligible. If it's simply an American movie filmed in Canada, or a Canadian director making an American film, then it's not eligible (unless it meets one of the other criteria).
Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:
Official iCM Lists:
Top 100 Canadian Films
UNESCO's Memory of the World: National Cinematic Heritage (101-113)
Unofficial iCM Lists:
Canadian Screen Awards/Genie Awards: Best Motion Picture
Canadian Screen Award Best Motion Picture Nominees
CFB's Top 100 Canadian Films
200 Quebec Movies You Must See
Playback's Best Canadian Films of All Time
The Canadian Cult
The 10 and 3's top 50 Canadian Films
National Canadian Film Day: 150 Canadian Films
Canadian Films on Official iCM Lists
Canadian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
National Film Board of Canada (1936-1979)
National Film Board of Canada (1980-present)
Overlooked Canadian Films
Taste of Cinema: 20 Canadian Cult Films You Might Not Have Seen
All of the Oscar-nominated NFB films (shorts & features) available online at the NFB site
Top Canadian Films (TIFF 2015)[Runners Up]
You can watch a lot of films online for free at the National Film Board of Canada website.
Not sure how to format your post? Check out the Basic rules thread.
2014 Edition - hosted by HVM, winner was ryebass with 35 points
2017 Edition - hosted by 72allinncallme, winner was sol with 82 points
2018 edition - hosted by Fergenaprido, winner was sol with 81 points
From the top part of that list, The Decline and Stolen Season definitely are.
I'm less certain about The Willoughbys and Possessor.
Most of the rest mentioned are not Canadian.
The third subchallenge is because there are so many Canadian films that are underseen. So, for every film that you watch with 0 checks OR less than 5 votes on imdb (and thus no rating), you get a bonus point. First to check a film AND it has less than 5 votes on imdb? Then you get double points! And for this, each film counts on it's own, so a short is worth as many points as a long film. No television series for this bonus though. But also no limit!
I'll announce a winner for each subchallenge separately, as well as a winner for the bonus challenge overall.
I'll update the totals as often as I can, probably every few days since I'm no longer employed! - Last updated 15:38 August 4 GMT +8