Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: South Asia (Results), Doubling the Canon (Results), 1950s (May 24th), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Films streaming on MUBI

Ivan0716

Re: Films streaming on MUBI

Post by Ivan0716 » April 24th, 2020, 10:50 am

There's a special CURATED BY HEDI SLIMANE section showing on MUBI until 31st May, I received an email about this but I don't think it's advertised or even accessible anywhere on the site itself.

There will also be a special showing of Pablo Larrain's Ema on the 2nd May (in the UK), apparently this is going to be 24h only.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 24th, 2020, 10:58 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 10:50 am
There's a special "CURATED BY HEDI SLIMANE" section showing on MUBI until 31st May, I received an email about this but I don't think it's advertised or even accessible anywhere on the site itself.
yeah they kinda hid that: https://mubi.com/library/specials/hedislimane

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 24th, 2020, 3:04 pm

I also got the email but then the link didn't work, so I thought maybe they'd made a mistake. None of them are available in my country, though, so moot point I suppose. Most of them were on Mubi for me within the last year anyway.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 24th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the head's up.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 25th, 2020, 6:42 am

Curiously enough, today Laurence Anyways showed up at my film of the day, but it's not associated with any curation or theme. So maybe I'll get some of them after all, just as one-offs.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 1st, 2020, 7:58 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 10:50 am
There will also be a special showing of Pablo Larrain's Ema on the 2nd May (in the UK), apparently this is going to be 24h only.
Correction: It's free to stream for everyone today (1st), before becoming available to subscribers for a month.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 14th, 2020, 2:43 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 7:26 pm
brokenface wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 7:20 pm
UK version currently has Bacurau and Portrait of a Lady on Fire, couple of good recent cinema releases if people didn't catch them pre lockdown.
I watched Bacurau on MUBI yesterday. Favorited! :thumbsup:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107076/ might like this one if you dug Bacurau

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Vitalina Varela on there now, for the Costa fans

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » May 21st, 2020, 1:11 pm

MUBI going with a library option. Could be a gamechanger for them - I hope it works out for them. Would be great to have an arthouse and classics streaming service outside the US.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 21st, 2020, 1:33 pm

I don't really see how this works. Which movies will be put in the library? Everything that gets added stays available after 30 days? Or just some of them? And will they keep adding one movie a day?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:33 pm
I don't really see how this works. Which movies will be put in the library? Everything that gets added stays available after 30 days? Or just some of them? And will they keep adding one movie a day?
I'd assume they'll still keep adding film a day as that is their distinguishing feature from other streaming services - but I guess some will expire and others will be long-term additions to the library.

Nice addition, though the site is painfully horrible to navigate to see exactly what is on there - maybe works on a touchscreen, on a PC it's hideous. And they are mixing in ones you need to pay for with ones that are included <_<

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 21st, 2020, 2:46 pm

brokenface wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm
And they are mixing in ones you need to pay for with ones that are included <_<
Oh no! When do you see it's a pay-movie? Is it immediately clear or do you see it only when you click on it?
ICM-profile

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » May 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm

The price comes up when you hover on the play button. Hadn't noticed that they were mixing in paid and free with subscription content.

The interface definitely could do with an update. There certainly isn't 1000 titles in what appears under library now. Search and filtering capabilities need to be better built. Hopefully when they update their apps it will become clearer.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 21st, 2020, 3:34 pm

Obgeoff wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:11 pm
MUBI going with a library option. Could be a gamechanger for them - I hope it works out for them. Would be great to have an arthouse and classics streaming service outside the US.
Where do you see this? I don't see any library when I log in. Mubi added rentals a while ago. I just went to look for them, though, and cannot see anything. They had a bunch of Lav Diaz films for rent, and they were in a section with a clear "rent now" option when looking at a grid of films (similar to how you'd see "now showing" for those in the 30-day spotlight).

Looking at his filmography, though, it seems those films are no longer available for rent, but for free:
SpoilerShow
The six films that have the play symbol in the centre are the ones that were previously available to rent. Seems like they're free for me now.

Looking at other pages on mubi now (such as the Related Films section of this page: https://mubi.com/films/black-sun-2007 ) it seems that they're implementing this method on all pages.

Edit: AAAAAnd I just thought now to check my email. Yep, received an email 90 minutes ago about the library being open now. :facepalm:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 21st, 2020, 3:52 pm

This is very interesting. I too would like more clarity on whether or not the one-addition-per-day films will expire. I have a few written down to watch by X date, but if I don't need to squeeze them in at a certain time, it would make my viewing schedule easier.

I wonder what's the easiest way to browse the library, e.g. if I want to just see Spanish/Portuguese films (this month) or Hong Kong cinema (next month).

Oh, and looks like I can no longer rely on the "never released over here" excuse regarding never watching OldAle's favourite film. :ermm:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 21st, 2020, 4:00 pm

I should have had more patience. Funnily enough, I was watching Peeping Tom on Mubi when the email was sent and y'all started posting. Then, Mubi was down for me for about 20 minutes, but now it's up and there's a new page: https://mubi.com/library

Here's an interesting one with all three available to me right now: https://mubi.com/library/specials/a-jou ... ian-cinema
sol wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 3:52 pm
I wonder what's the easiest way to browse the library, e.g. if I want to just see Spanish/Portuguese films (this month) or Hong Kong cinema (next month).
Sol, if you go to browse, you can filter by genre, country, and year, which should help you a bit.
Example: https://mubi.com/films?country=Hong+Kong&sort=trending
Keep in mind that their country attributes are sometimes shoddy, and the default sort is "trending", but you can choose other sort options.

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » May 21st, 2020, 4:13 pm

Browse is helpful but would be better if you could filter to which films are available to watch now (ideally with a subfilter between paid and included content).

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 21st, 2020, 5:26 pm

sol wrote:
This is very interesting. I too would like more clarity on whether or not the one-addition-per-day films will expire. I have a few written down to watch by X date, but if I don't need to squeeze them in at a certain time, it would make my viewing schedule easier.
This indeed!
ICM-profile

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 21st, 2020, 6:12 pm

They used to be a library with thousands of films and illimited watching for a monthly fee until Netflix expanded services globally 7-8 years ago. Good they survived with their rolling 30-days offer and can compete again.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 21st, 2020, 9:28 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 2:46 pm
brokenface wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm
And they are mixing in ones you need to pay for with ones that are included <_<
Oh no! When do you see it's a pay-movie? Is it immediately clear or do you see it only when you click on it?
Most of them had a play symbol in the middle but some have a price there, but i think you had to hover to see. Might just be teething issues

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 21st, 2020, 9:37 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 5:26 pm
sol wrote:
This indeed!
On the other hand, the time limit does provide a nudge to make me get round to things, where no limit can mean it's permanently on the 'get round to that one day' list

RBG

Post by RBG » May 22nd, 2020, 2:52 am

yeah the interface is bad, why are films listed that aren't available. i only saw one 'pay' film and now i don't remember what it was. looks like i picked the right time to rejoin mubi

my watchlist are all free. already watched wang bing dead souls and a couple of melvilles
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

equanimitty

Post by equanimitty » May 22nd, 2020, 4:33 am

I am not on MUMBI but they have nice collection.

Thanks.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » May 22nd, 2020, 5:41 am

I don't know when the films in the library are expiring, so now I'm just prioritizing. Watched Scenes from the Life of Andy Warhol: Friendships and Intersections (1990, Jonas Mekas) yesterday as my first pick and it did not disappoint. I'm lining up the couple of Josephine Decker films I haven't seen and hopefully they will be good as well

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 22nd, 2020, 7:25 am

Since I've been using VPN combined with MUBI for the last couple of month, I always had more than enough to watch. I guess I won't go through the libraries of all the countries, but I think I'll check out the Dutch one to see which movies I'd like to watchlist.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 22nd, 2020, 4:15 pm

Yeah, I'll also be focusing on the 30-day films for now as well. I checked some films that recently left Mubi (such as the Kawashima restrospective), and not all of them are still available to play in library, so there's no guarantee that if I miss something now I'll be able to catch it later. I am looking forward to catching some of the films I missed, though.

RBG

Post by RBG » May 22nd, 2020, 10:19 pm

thx for mentioning kawashima, i figured out how to search (kinda)

best part is i have some of these but not in this quality :party:

edit: i'm dumb; you can't watch these. why the hell not :blink:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » Today, 5:43 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:15 pm
Yeah, I'll also be focusing on the 30-day films for now as well. I checked some films that recently left Mubi (such as the Kawashima restrospective), and not all of them are still available to play in library, so there's no guarantee that if I miss something now I'll be able to catch it later. I am looking forward to catching some of the films I missed, though.
I didn't realize that not all films would be going to the library either. I put off Dead Souls to watch, but it looks like the first part (of three parts) might be leaving MUBI USA tomorrow at midnight (it says "LEAVING SOON" in orange lettering), so I might have to explore it sooner than expected.

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » Today, 8:33 pm

Whoa is that Wang Bing's Dead Souls? I gotta get a mubi account

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » 6 minutes ago

Yes. I have a link if you want 30 days of MUBI for free.
https://mubi.com/t/web/global/3m4uuw2

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » 1 minute ago

Wow, much appreciated! :cheers: