Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Talking Images: [Ep 12 NOW AVAILABLE] The Decline of Film Forums

St. Gloede

Talking Images: [Ep 12 NOW AVAILABLE] The Decline of Film Forums

Post by St. Gloede » April 24th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Hi all,

We have started a podcast!

When I say "we", I mean Ormazd, AdamH, myself and ... YOU?!

We are looking for co-hosts, and guests.

You can listen to our episodes here:
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus
Sounder - https://talkingimages.sounder.fm/show/talking-images

How To Get Involved
We chat, record and plan at our Talking Images discord server: https://discord.gg/9qvTEts

Everyone is invited to join.

If you do not want to talk there are so many other ways you can contribute, including topic suggestions, promoting the podcast, sharing information/knowledge, etc. We could also really use more sound editors.

When Do We Record?
We currently record every Saturday at 13:00 CET.

What Kind of Topics Will We Cover?
When Adam, Gary and I talked about setting this up at first we envisioned 4 kinds of episodes as a rough sketch.

1. Personal (No research required, we talk about our experiences, tastes, etc. i.e. perfect if we don't have the time to put in the work)
2. Film/Director/Actor Discussion (We watch one or more films and discuss them)
3. Toplist discussion (i.e. Top 5 Westerns of the 50s, etc. or perhaps discussing actual lists - though we were not quite sure how to do this with the films fresh in mind).
4. Essentially anything that could be a forum thread (wildcard)

But I think there are many other types of episodes we can try to do, including discussions about specific forum threads/projects.

How will Talking Images Evolve?
This is a forum project, and the more people get involved the merrier.

As so many have shown interest, we will quite possibly expand the podcast further, perhaps do different types of episodes with different hosts, etc. but that is up to, well, YOU!

-

Let the Podcasting begin.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 24th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Great idea, and I could be interested in joining. I don't think I have enough knowledge on any subject right now to bring anything worthwhile to the discussion, but if research beforehand is part of the process, then it could be a great occasion to learn and share. I also like that it gives a new format to discuss films to this forum, even more lively than writing.

I don't have any experience with podcasts though, hope that's not a problem.

How often would you like to record episodes, and do you have any idea how long they would be?

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 24th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Great to hear you're interested, Clemmetarey.

No podcast experience is needed, and if we do pick a topic that requires research we'll set off the neccesary time.

Most decisions, including schedule have not been set yet. If you join in this is one of the things we can decide together.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » April 24th, 2020, 8:11 pm

I would love to participate, but I'm not sure my combo of laptop mike + French accent would be super understandable. I'd be interested to try though, even though I'm a much newer and less knowledgeable cinephile than most people around here.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 25th, 2020, 5:02 am

I'd be happy to join as a guest occasionally, but I don't want to be a regular co-host. I've been told several times before by friends to do a movie podcast, but I never did because I think about 90 million Americans already have a podcast.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » April 25th, 2020, 5:50 am

Put me down for a definite maybe. I've never done a podcast before, but it should be easy enough to record my voice and I always enjoy talking about films and film-related stuff.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » April 25th, 2020, 5:57 am

Awesome, looking forward to hearing this!

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » April 25th, 2020, 11:10 am

Like Blocho I have also been told that I should do a film podcast by several people in the past and I would love to get involved in any capacity should you be willing to have me on board - this sounds like a great idea.

I used to host a radio show back in my university days and whilst the focus was primarily on music, I would always steer the discussion towards film wherever possible. I even had a regular feature called 'Tom's movie soundtrack of the week'! :$

I would probably need to invest in a decent headset with mic but will have a look into this once there are more concrete plans in place.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 25th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Great to see some people interested! Any ideas as to how we will start this?

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 26th, 2020, 10:57 am

I think the first issue will be to find a time that would suit the different timezones of the participants.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 26th, 2020, 11:10 am

Hi all,

We were thinking of doing the trial run this Saturday (2nd of May) at 1 CET (Central European Time).

I'll do some recording tests in the meantime.

sebby

Post by sebby » April 26th, 2020, 11:34 am

I'm happy this is going ahead. No interest in participating unless I can yell eastern european ethnic slurs through a voice modulator in lieu of providing cinematic insight.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 26th, 2020, 11:37 am

We'll keep this in mind. Sounds like a good weekly segment.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » April 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm

1pm CET (7pm my time) should work for me next week, but, er, what do we need to have to participate??

Google Search reckons that we need good quality headphones, a proper professional microphone, a Skype account and some other stuff that I probably don't have.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 26th, 2020, 1:42 pm

The audio is without a doubt the main concern. I'm not too worried as most computers record decently now, but we Al have to test them to be sure.

We also need to ensure that we have a good program to record the conversation. I will try a couple I have used through work, but if anyone have any recommendations, feel free to share.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 28th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Hi guys,

Just to confirm: Sol and Clemmentery, are both of you in form Saturday 1 CET?

Any other takers?

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 28th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Yes I'm in! What program will we be using? Skype, Discord, something else?

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 28th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Excellent!

Most likely Skype, never tried calling with Discord, less heavy?

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » April 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I've realised I have a work headset that i can use so i would like to give it a shot. 1PM cet is 12 for me so that's easy enough for me to be available on saturday.

Where is everyone based? I know Sol is in Australia, and I am in the UK. I'm already liking the international scope of this podcast!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 28th, 2020, 9:14 pm

I'm based in Malta (originally from Norway).

Been testing my standard microphone, and it is recording perfectly - have an old headset, but won't be needed,

Tried using audiocity for recording, as I use that to record conversations at work and is quite good, however, it can't record more than 1 convo unless I set it up on another computer - which technically is not a problem - but is a little convoluted.

We tested Discord today, some audio troubles for Ormazd, but if that's fixed, Discord might be better than Skype.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » April 28th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Sounds promising, I'll take a look at discord over the next couple of days. If there's any prep/testing you would like me to do from my side before sat then let me know.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 28th, 2020, 10:02 pm

If we end up using Discord we'll add everyone to a podcast group. That will give everyone time to run trials, and we can chat more freely.

We don't have an official name yet.

"Officially Unofficial" anyone? :lol:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 28th, 2020, 10:09 pm

*Yes, the title should include something that is actually related to films, but that reference had to be made.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » April 28th, 2020, 10:15 pm

I like it :) The first thing that came to my mind was "They shoot podcasts don't they?" Probably a little too obvious but couldn't resist it.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 28th, 2020, 11:53 pm

French here filmbantha. If we set up a server, then I think Discord is easier to use when having conversations with more than two participants. I think Discord was created for gamers who need to talk when playing collective games, so having numerous participants at the same time shouldn't be a problem. It's also easy to join and exit a conversation. There's no need to wait for someone already in to sent you an invitation.

No idea about a name, I'm fine with a serious one like ''The Unofficial ICM Forum Podcast" or a fun one. :)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 29th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Any tips for a free hosting sites?

Podbean sounds good as they are free and have unlimited storage, the others appeared to have harsh limits and deleting files after x days, they are also partnered with Spotify.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 29th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Actually Podbean appears to have a max 5h storage...

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 29th, 2020, 6:31 pm

https://anchor.fm/ seems to do everything we need.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 29th, 2020, 6:36 pm

https://sounder.fm/suite/pricing ?
https://support.sounder.fm/article/47-l ... t-for-free
Choosing Hosting for Launching a Podcast

With the growth in podcasting, lots of hosting services have popped up over the last few years. Most of them have a monthly fee to use the service, some quite high.

A few of them offer free plans, but they have significant limits on how many hours of audio you can store and how much bandwidth you can use every month. If your show gets even remotely popular, you’ll burn through the free tier pretty fast.

Sounder.fm takes a different approach. We offer unlimited free hosting so you can use our podcast hosting for any length and number of shows without spending a dime.

As your show grows and starts generating revenue, you can upgrade to a paid plan to get extra features but the free tier gives you everything you need to get started.
A youtube cast with clips and images would be a lot more work but could be another approach. I don't know what you guys are going for.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 29th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Thank you, Peaceful, looks like an excellent suggestion.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 29th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Hi again everyone!

I have set up a Discord server, please join and we can do some tests today/tomorrow.

https://discord.gg/fxkbpe

We will test recording with "Craig", a recording bot.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 29th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Great news, early testing with Discord went well.

The only issue was that :Craig: unexpectedly left at one point, I'm not sure if that was a glitch or a time out - we had been speaking for over an hour.

I will test the recording in audiocity to determine the quality tomorrow.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » April 30th, 2020, 8:08 am

All sounded great last night. Shame about my technical issues but I have spoken with a friend who works in computing and I now have a suitable microphone on order that is due to be delivered to me later this evening!

Hopefully next time it will work without a hitch so I can join in with your discussion for more than a few scattered words here and there :)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 30th, 2020, 8:11 am

Fantastic!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm

Hey all, quick roadcall:

The first podcast will kick of at 01:00 CET tomorrow.

The topic is how we fell in love with films and our cinematic journey.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » May 1st, 2020, 9:26 pm

Sounds like a great place to start, looking forward to hearing how everyone developed a passion for cinema.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm

Damn. Totally forgot about this until now (2:15 CET) and when I clicked on the link above it didn't work. :shrug: Sorry, guys; a lot on my mind lately.
Image Image Image

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 2nd, 2020, 12:40 pm

I tried to join the podcast, but when I clicked on the link provided in the thread, I received this message: Invite invalid, which suggested I need permission to join.

Hope it went well. Definitely interested in the subject, and have at times spoken about some of the movies and experiences that stoked my own passion for cinema. Sorry to have missed out....

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 2nd, 2020, 12:47 pm

It seems like the link expires after a while. I've told St. Gloede and he'll try to sort it out for next time.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 2nd, 2020, 1:17 pm

Invites are only valid for 1 day apparently: https://discord.gg/FmS2uD