Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
No votes
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
3%
I think I had it, but not sure.
7%
No, still waiting.
70%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
13%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
7%

Total votes: 30

albajos

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by albajos » March 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Prince Charles got it.

At least he's only 71, he looks a lot older.

But queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip at 93 and 98 have sent him to his room in the moors of Scotland

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 25th, 2020, 1:48 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 3:39 am
@blocho - https://grow.google/remotework/ (scroll down a bit for "Teach from Anywhere"
Many thanks.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 25th, 2020, 1:52 pm

blocho wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:18 pm
- If your current school is closed, what are you and other teachers doing to administer remote learning (in terms of applications, assignments, schedule, etc.)?
No idea what it's like where you are, but we have to train our students in an online communication tool (between teachers and students) in case the school is shut down temporarily due to Covid-19.

Keyword: temporarily. If there is an outbreak, a school will be shut down for a thorough clean and will be reopened within 48 hours.

It's bit nuts over here. If schools actually do get shut for a prolonged period (unlikely), I'll update you guys here.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 25th, 2020, 2:03 pm

My school was actually very prepared for this (not because they were preparing for a situation like this but because they had tried for years to become as paperless as possible). All students get laptops from the school when they first start attending. All classes have moved online and continue as close to normal as possible. Assignments are submitted online anyway, registers taken online, all students have gmail accounts and Google drive etc. so it's actually be a lot smoother for us than it would be in some other schools. We are using Zoom for classes, for one-to-one meetings etc. Staff briefings in morning via Zoom.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 25th, 2020, 2:23 pm

LMAO Trump
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2757793 ... 569454285/

My city no longer has 0 cases. Four now, here we go.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » March 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Day 11 of my family's quarantine. I feel fine other than some digestive problems, I'm isolating myself from my mom and stepdad since I quit my liquor store job. I keep hearing my parents coughing softly, but regularly from the other room. They insist they're fine. I just want this to be over, not the quarantine, but I just want us to know for certain we're not going to get sick and can keep staying home.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 25th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Sadly in the America of Atlas Shrugged very few people are able to ever comprehend that there's anything wrong with this, and many of those who do will blame the Liberal Elite which somehow in their minds is more allied to the billionaire class than our billionaire president.

Meanwhile there have been at least four right-wing national figures - the Lt. Gov of Texas, Britt Hume of FAUX, Glenn Beck and Dennis Prager - in the last day calling on (other) elderly people to go back to work and die for the sake of The Dow Jones Industrial Average America.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 25th, 2020, 3:25 pm

This has some very confident quotes about a test which'll give results in 10-15 mins being available for mass home testing by next week:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ithin-days

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm

I thought Ireland made that like 2 weeks ago

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 25th, 2020, 3:37 pm

March 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm
I thought Ireland made that like 2 weeks ago
lots of countries working on same sort of thing. but I don't know whether it's at the point of being used en masse anywhere?

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 25th, 2020, 4:03 pm

March 25th, 2020, 1:46 pm
If they're dressed like that guy, then they should be striking. I just went out to the store and saw city workers emptying garbage bins and they were wearing N95s and gauntlet gloves.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Spring breaker regrets his "party on" statement
https://www.today.com/news/spring-break ... na-t176681

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 25th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Another article from The Atlantic, the most pessimistic story I've seen yet - but don't worry Europeans, this is just about my terrible country's terrible response - I have no doubt things will be better in every developed country in the next few months than they are here, even Italy and Spain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... nd/608719/

Headline is 2.2 million deaths (again, just in the USA) by the end of summer if we don't start doing the right fucking things immediately.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Our state just extended school closure to May 4.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm

burneyfan wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm
That's good. We still didn't, as of yesterday, even have all restaurants closed yet here in WI. Or bars - no surprise as the liquor lobby is so strong, and we have a Republican legislature that isn't any more likely to pay attention to science than national leadership.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm

burneyfan wrote:
I'll be surprised if schools open again this academic year.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 25th, 2020, 8:46 pm

AdamH wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm
burneyfan wrote:
Yeah. I was talking to my eldest daughter's science and math teacher yesterday and she's preparing to do online teaching for the rest of the year, despite school being scheduled to resume April 6.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » March 25th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:46 pm
AdamH wrote:
burneyfan wrote:
Yeah. I was talking to my eldest daughter's science and math teacher yesterday and she's preparing to do online teaching for the rest of the year, despite school being scheduled to resume April 6.
My husband broke the news of the extension to me by first yelling from the other room, "Hey, I hope we really love our kids!"

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 25th, 2020, 9:31 pm

I have been furloughed until September.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 25th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Tokyo governor is currently putting city into "voluntary lockdown" and asking people to stay at home starting this weekend to avoid more forceful measures being taken.

There has been a big jump in cases over there past couple of days.

kingink

Post by kingink » March 25th, 2020, 10:00 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 9:31 pm
I have been furloughed until September.
Unpaid right? Shit...

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 25th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Yes. It appears likely schools won't reopen this school year.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 25th, 2020, 11:54 pm

All the supermarket restocking we were supposed to do has been cancelled, dunno what that means. Fresh veges are getting expensive; my mum wanted a cucumber and it was like $7 for one so she was like nope. Uni has also lifted the late penalties for assessments because of 'this stressful time', so the two essays due on Sunday I've been putting off technically get a week extension now (yay).

'They' were going to be implementing a 30 minute rule for hairdressers but after complaints from hairdressers (and I assume every woman who has ever had a haircut), they decided against it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

albajos

Post by albajos » March 26th, 2020, 12:02 am

So you don't have Cutters?
cutters.no
Every hsircut is 15 minutes.

But all hairdressers have been closed down a long time ago, as those are a business that have a lot of contact with the costumers.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 26th, 2020, 1:41 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:46 pm
AdamH wrote:
burneyfan wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm preparing for too.

Somehow I'm not reassured that everything will go back to normal by Easter.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 2:14 am

TraverseTown wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Day 11 of my family's quarantine. I feel fine other than some digestive problems, I'm isolating myself from my mom and stepdad since I quit my liquor store job. I keep hearing my parents coughing softly, but regularly from the other room. They insist they're fine. I just want this to be over, not the quarantine, but I just want us to know for certain we're not going to get sick and can keep staying home.
if I understand correctly, 14 days after possible exposure (21 days to be really certain) is when you guys should know where you stand. However, any contact with others basically (IMHO) starts the 14 day clock counting again. Hope this helps!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 2:17 am

OldAle1 wrote:
burneyfan wrote:
That's good. We still didn't, as of yesterday, even have all restaurants closed yet here in WI. Or bars - no surprise as the liquor lobby is so strong, and we have a Republican legislature that isn't any more likely to pay attention to science than national leadership.
Oregon's up to 28 April now and I think I mentioned earlier that my local district is treating it as an "extended break" with no institutional support outside of meals

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 2:22 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:54 pm
All the supermarket restocking we were supposed to do has been cancelled, dunno what that means. Fresh veges are getting expensive; my mum wanted a cucumber and it was like $7 for one so she was like nope. Uni has also lifted the late penalties for assessments because of 'this stressful time', so the two essays due on Sunday I've been putting off technically get a week extension now (yay).

'They' were going to be implementing a 30 minute rule for hairdressers but after complaints from hairdressers (and I assume every woman who has ever had a haircut), they decided against it.
hairdressers are closed here, as are gyms, shopping malls, massage studios (not sure about chiropractic), and anything else that isn't about medical or groceries - no close contact and certainly haircuts are close contact in my mind. I care more about the health of the workers than someone's hairdo(n't).

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 2:31 am

Announcing a National Emergency Library to Provide Digitized Books to Students and the Public
https://blog.archive.org/2020/03/24/ann ... b%7cctalnk

library is available to all as far as I know even though they are basing things on the US National Emergency
https://archive.org/details/nationaleme ... b%7cctalnk

sol can find me here

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 26th, 2020, 2:41 am

Trump apparently has his highest approval ratings since taking office, which is attributed to his response to coronavirus crisis.

Because, as near as I can tell, people are really fucking clueless and not aware of all the things he has been doing to exacerbate the crisis up to the point it is at now.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2020, 2:42 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:31 am
Announcing a National Emergency Library to Provide Digitized Books to Students and the Public
https://blog.archive.org/2020/03/24/ann ... b%7cctalnk

library is available to all as far as I know even though they are basing things on the US National Emergency
https://archive.org/details/nationaleme ... b%7cctalnk
That library is always available, the difference is that they've apparently taken off the previous restriction that only one person can look at any given book at one time, which makes it kind of a pain to use. Some interesting stuff in there if you can find it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 26th, 2020, 2:49 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:22 am
mightysparks wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:54 pm

hairdressers are closed here, as are gyms, shopping malls, massage studios (not sure about chiropractic), and anything else that isn't about medical or groceries - no close contact and certainly haircuts are close contact in my mind. I care more about the health of the workers than someone's hairdo(n't).
Hairdressers are essential for now, I guess. I kinda hoped it would stay so that in a few weeks/months all the people who have their hair dyed/styled regularly would all start to look scrappy and be forced to quarantine themselves even more because they don't want anyone seeing their natural look lol. Or they would learn to love themselves and we'd all come out the other side of corona embracing our real selves.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 8:35 am

Forgive the cross-post, but I'm not sure everyone is reading both threads. This article also doesn't mention if this is only applicable in the US or other countries as well

Plex makes live TV free for three months

sol can find me here

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 26th, 2020, 11:07 am

outdoorcats wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:12 pm
Yes. It appears likely schools won't reopen this school year.
Meanwhile, in Western Australia, they are taking the hard line: schools will remain open indefinitely for the foreseeable future. :mellow:

In a new announcement though, the education minister has now told parents that they can choose whether or not to send their kids to school. If parents send kids to school next week, we still have to provide meaningful lessons for them. If children are kept at home, they have to do work packages or online content that the school must provide.

So, at the moment it is a doubling of teacher workload (provide for kids in school as well as at home) but I guess it's a step in the right direction from this time yesterday when parents were being told by the government that it was business as usual, keep sending your kids to school unless they are sick.

There is also a bit of relief in sight. For any students sent to school in the four days leading up to Good Friday, we only have to supervise them, not provide meaningful lessons, since the government wants teachers to use this time as planning and training for online delivery of content for the unknown percentage of students who parents are choosing to keep at home.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 26th, 2020, 12:02 pm

sol wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:07 am
There is also a bit of relief in sight. For any students sent to school in the four days leading up to Good Friday, we only have to supervise them, not provide meaningful lessons, since the government wants teachers to use this time as planning and training for online delivery of content for the unknown percentage of students who parents are choosing to keep at home.
Hopefully that unknown percentage turns out to be 100...

The more I've been reading about the virus, transmission, and social distancing/isolation the more I think the entire globe needs to basically shut down everything except essentials and move every possible activity/job to remote for at least 2-3 months to halt this thing. Or until a viable vaccine is produced.
There are going to be a lot of new laws and amendments passed in the wake of COVID19 I bet. No one was prepared for this and people need help everywhere. I hope humanity can wake up and take close, critical look at itself after this is over. We need to make some big changes, collectively, going forward. We are and have been way off the path for sometime now.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm

My boyfriend went for a walk on the beach today and said people weren’t practicing social distance at all, hanging out in groups and people pretty much brushing past you. People are so dumb.

I found this article pretty interesting: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... fmredir=sm

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 26th, 2020, 12:39 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm
My boyfriend went for a walk on the beach today and said people weren’t practicing social distance at all, hanging out in groups and people pretty much brushing past you. People are so dumb.

I found this article pretty interesting: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... fmredir=sm
that's a very cool and informative page. Pretty much also confirms the US is fucked unfortunately.