Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
4th ICM Film Festival Jury Recruiting (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)

Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: La religieuse, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st), Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

Last Movie Seen

Cinepolis

Re: Last Movie Seen

Post by Cinepolis » January 30th, 2020, 8:59 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Cinepolis wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:05 pm
I'm gonna watch "Tajouj" in cinema tomorrow. One day later and it would fit the Africa challenge, but what can you do, right?
Be thankful that you live in a place where you actually have the opportunity to see an African film (or for that matter any film not from your own country and/or in your own language or made before the last couple of years) in the cinema.
I still have to travel 20 km to watch this movie, but I'm still thankful to get the honor of watching "Tajouj" in a watchable copy. I normally never go to the cinema at home because there's only one of them near me. This is an exception because "Tajouj" is shown in the afternoon. Else I would have to drive all this way back home in the dark.

Update: My cold suddenly got worse, so I couldn't go to the cinema anyway :(

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 1st, 2020, 8:26 pm

I just went to see 1917...the one-take gimmick does make it quite immersive, but ultimately I found it to be a rather hollow/shallow experience. With that said, though it’s a low bar, it might be the best video game movie we’ve had so far.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Reflect

Post by Reflect » February 2nd, 2020, 12:39 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:26 pm
I just went to see 1917...the one-take gimmick does make it quite immersive, but ultimately I found it to be a rather hollow/shallow experience. With that said, though it’s a low bar, it might be the best video game movie we’ve had so far.
The video game thing is being said a lot but it really is spot on. I don't think 1917 is a bad movie - it's solid enough and has a few impactful scenes - but the execution of a lot of it was pretty wonky, and that very last scene leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 2nd, 2020, 3:02 pm

Agreed on all points with you guys. I've also been thinking about how on the flipside from it's technical innovations, it's traditional in the worst way - in the othering of the enemy, who are seen as nothing but The Bad Guy Out to Get You here. We've had generations of war movies now where filmmakers have tried to show that war is rarely a case of good v evil, and that "our side" is rarely if ever saintly, and I'm not sure there's ever been a major war where that was more true than WWI, a pure colonialist conflict, but here we get more or less a kill the jerry film on a par with lots of Hollywood takes on the war movie in the 40s and 50s.

The more I think about it the less I like it.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 8th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Just watched A Sun (Taiwan) on Netflix, and thought it one of the best movies i've seen from 2019. Kind of took me by surprise, and didn't really let on where it was going. Beautifully shot, too.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 8th, 2020, 4:29 pm

cinewest wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Just watched A Sun (Taiwan) on Netflix, and thought it one of the best movies i've seen from 2019. Kind of took me by surprise, and didn't really let on where it was going. Beautifully shot, too.
Well, Mong-Hong Chung is an amazing director. If you haven't seen his other films, it's really worth seeking them out. Knowing your taste, The Fourth Portrait is probably the one with the biggest chance of success, Soul & Godspeed are great too, but a bit more genre-infused. Haven't watched A Sun yet, mostly because of its running time and because I'm suddenly hit by a spell of great films, with little time to review them all.

I just came back from watching Gretel & Hansel in cinemas. No idea who figured it was a good idea to give this film a cinema run (its commercial appeal, especially as a horror film is virtually non-existent), but I sure am grateful to that person! Very stylish and moody indeed.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 8th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 4:29 pm
I just came back from watching Gretel & Hansel in cinemas. No idea who figured it was a good idea to give this film a cinema run (its commercial appeal, especially as a horror film is virtually non-existent), but I sure am grateful to that person! Very stylish and moody indeed.
I really liked Oz Perkins’ previous films (especially February aka The Blackcoat’s Daughter), so I plan to check out Gretel & Hansel tomorrow. I saw Jojo Rabbit at the cinema today...”meh.”
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 9th, 2020, 1:58 am

Onderhond wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 4:29 pm
cinewest wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Well, Mong-Hong Chung is an amazing director. If you haven't seen his other films, it's really worth seeking them out. Knowing your taste, The Fourth Portrait is probably the one with the biggest chance of success, Soul & Godspeed are great too, but a bit more genre-infused. Haven't watched A Sun yet, mostly because of its running time and because I'm suddenly hit by a spell of great films, with little time to review them all.

Thanks for the tip, Onderhond, I browsed the director on imdb late last night, and wasn't surprised to find that he is also a cinematographer (who goes by another name) as the film was beautifully shot. This is exactly the kind of film from everywhere in the world that eludes most cinephiles because it receives very little attention from any publicity group, or any international critics. Yet if it were an American film made in English it would be winning plaudits and awards.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 9th, 2020, 9:37 am

A Sun won a Golden Horse award though, so it should be picked up by ICM I think (or don't we have that list?).
Not quite sure why films/directors like these have such a hard time to be recognized though, apart from the fact that Chung's work isn't a full match with the kind of films expect to see from either China or Taiwan.
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 8:56 pm
I really liked Oz Perkins’ previous films (especially February aka The Blackcoat’s Daughter), so I plan to check out Gretel & Hansel tomorrow.
I liked Oz' previous films a lot, Gretel and Hansel is the first one I actually favorited though. A bit more on the nose maybe, but I like that.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 12th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Captive State (2019 - Rupert Wyatt) It feels like this has really flown under the radar, has very poor ratings. Very clever and creative, excellent satirical elements. Sci fi set in Chicago in the future where aliens have occupied earth and humans are controlled.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 12th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Promare :wub:

The camera work is truly otherworldly. I have no idea what goes on in Imaishi's head, but I'd love to take a peek in there.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 13th, 2020, 12:58 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Captive State (2019 - Rupert Wyatt) It feels like this has really flown under the radar, has very poor ratings. Very clever and creative, excellent satirical elements. Sci fi set in Chicago in the future where aliens have occupied earth and humans are controlled.
I liked it, and it definitely had a lot of potential (the idea was awesome and the opening scene was really good), but i wish the characters had been a little more interesting.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm

mightysparks wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 12:58 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:33 pm
I liked it, and it definitely had a lot of potential (the idea was awesome and the opening scene was really good), but i wish the characters had been a little more interesting.
the slow burn is hitting me this morning. It felt like life had become meaningless under the legislators so wasn't overly surprised at the lack of character. I felt that the SIM card reveal gave you a lot of room to feel what the characters were like before. I thought it was very clever and diverse, whilst at the same time being able to have a pop at "wokists" with the twist. The commentary on analogue was very smart too. In so many ways it felt like a "look how much we have lost" movie. It feels crazy that something so urgent and relevant has basically sunk without a trace.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 13th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Maybe because it was aimed at a younger audience who don't feel like we've lost all that much? Can't say I really got that from the movie though. Liked it a lot for what it was, but I didn't see anything deeper than just a fun sci-fi/thriller (which is probably a good thing, because tech-doom annoys the crap out of me).

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 13th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) very good. Might be the second or third best film I've seen this year so far. I highly rec it unless a person has an aversion to longer films. The run-time is long, but it didn't feel like it (as opposed to Knives Out, which felt like an eternity). :whistling:

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 13th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Maybe because it was aimed at a younger audience who don't feel like we've lost all that much? Can't say I really got that from the movie though. Liked it a lot for what it was, but I didn't see anything deeper than just a fun sci-fi/thriller (which is probably a good thing, because tech-doom annoys the crap out of me).
Well I think young people know that their lifestyles aren't better than their parents', and they're very engaged in environmental activism. But sure they don't have nostalgia for the post war pre digital era.

That movie was one of the most overt polemics I have ever seen, certainly the most political movie I have seen contemporaneously (obviously I can watch movies like Queimada and La Chinoise from before I was born).
SpoilerShow
Aliens have made their camps in the city centres, do they just happen to all be excellent sites for mining? No, the movie is talking about the gap between the rich and the poor because it has accelerated every year since the 70s (this is even mentioned specifically in the prologue). Now city centres are completely unaffordable and ghettos for the fabulously wealthy. The capitalist class isn't even slowing at its exploitation of the planet. These people are so removed from us that they are literally aliens.
C'mon y'all Captive State is an EVENT. No other film maker gets it, no other film maker is making compelling stories about this time period: right now.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 14th, 2020, 3:12 am

peeptoad wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) very good. Might be the second or third best film I've seen this year so far. I highly rec it unless a person has an aversion to longer films. The run-time is long, but it didn't feel like it (as opposed to Knives Out, which felt like an eternity). :whistling:
This was one of my favorite films of the last decade. Loved the way that the investigation caravan introduced the landscape, characters, and story bit by bit, and slowly absorbed me as a viewer, building towards the scene where they stop for refreshments, and then finally when they interact with family of the murderer and do the autopsy. And though only a glimpse of these people and their realities is provided, it’s easy to imagine their world

In the course of what is essentially structured as a police procedural, an entire portrait of Anatolia is provided.
Amazing film!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm

cinewest wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 3:12 am
peeptoad wrote:
This was one of my favorite films of the last decade. Loved the way that the investigation caravan introduced the landscape, characters, and story bit by bit, and slowly absorbed me as a viewer, building towards the scene where they stop for refreshments, and then finally when they interact with family of the murderer and do the autopsy. And though only a glimpse of these people and their realities is provided, it’s easy to imagine their world

In the course of what is essentially structured as a police procedural, an entire portrait of Anatolia is provided.
Amazing film!
I completely agree on the gradual release of the story elements and the characters themselves. This last aspect really struck me as it worked very well; the characters were brought along gradually and in a completely believable manner. I really got invested in them and that was the glue that made the entire film stick in my brain. I loved their banter about anything and everything: so realistic and exactly what would happen if in a situation like the scenario in the film.
I also loved the beauty that was evident in things that might not normally be considered beautiful, like the unending and unwavering (non-changing, can't think of the adjective I am looking for) landscape of Anatolia. Maybe a harsh and at times unforgiving environment, but it looks wonderful and it is totally needed for the plot itself. Your last sentence above really hits it I guess...

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 15th, 2020, 1:48 am

peeptoad wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm
cinewest wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 3:12 am
peeptoad wrote:

Amazing film!
I completely agree on the gradual release of the story elements and the characters themselves. This last aspect really struck me as it worked very well; the characters were brought along gradually and in a completely believable manner. I really got invested in them and that was the glue that made the entire film stick in my brain. I loved their banter about anything and everything: so realistic and exactly what would happen if in a situation like the scenario in the film.
I also loved the beauty that was evident in things that might not normally be considered beautiful, like the unending and unwavering (non-changing, can't think of the adjective I am looking for) landscape of Anatolia. Maybe a harsh and at times unforgiving environment, but it looks wonderful and it is totally needed for the plot itself. Your last sentence above really hits it I guess...
Yes, this is a perfect example of the way “slow film” can work to seep inside the viewer with the imagery of traveling through a landscape, and casual conversations, all of which take in much more meaning as the experience deepens, with the criminal investigation serving as a focal point.
It helps to see this film on the big screen, at least a good home theater where you can be enveloped in the experience, and during the course of the film I found myself imagining the lives and stories of everyone who featured, even those on the periphery, like the family at the farm, and family of the murderer, etc.

I think i also connected to it through my own worldly travels as a young man, when I wandered off the beaten track into regions and cultures I could taste in a similar way. I saw it when I first came out and still remember it very vividly, the sights and sounds, and filmmaking, which for me is the hallmark of a great movie, and cinematic magic of bringing something to life in all its subtle complexity.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 16th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Just watched Knives Out ... Meh?
So many great films, but the things people get excited about. :shrug:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 16th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Just watched Knives Out ... Meh?
So many great films, but the things people get excited about. :shrug:
As to it's popularity, it's an old-school whodunit murder-mystery of the Agatha Christie variety, with the big star cast and lots of comedy - the kind of film that has been popular at various times in the UK and US since the beginning of the sound era (when it might have been the most popular genre - there were TONS of these films made in the early 30s). But they aren't that popular anymore so when one comes along once every year or two - the last one being the remake of Murder on the Orient Express, also a huge box office hit - they tend to do well, and people having the short memories that they have, they get over-praised for "originality" which one or two small narrative moments aside, this film doesn't show much that you couldn't have found in 1933. And I think this sort of thing is still more popular on TV (don't really know, don't watch enough TV to know) so people are still at least aware of it enough to get excited occasionally, unlike say new westerns.

I liked it myself, mostly for Daniel Craig getting to actually enjoy himself and show some personality, and Ana de Armas showing that she's more than a pretty face. I liked it enough that I could imagine seeing it again some day when I've forgotten most of the plot, but I certainly didn't think it was anything special and I'm glad I've seen enough better films from the year to bump it off my list for the poll now. But I'd just as soon watch a Charlie Chan or Philo Vance film from the 30s as watch any of the newer variations on this theme.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 16th, 2020, 6:45 pm

I actually quite liked the last Murder on the Orient Express, but that one is getting a lot less praise than this one, which is why I was somewhat surprised. I mean, this gets an 8 average on IMDb :?

Also hated Craig and his terrible accent here, but none of the characters/actors did a good job imo. The stories in these films are always a little dull (there's not much to do for an audience but wait until everything is explained during the finale), but generally I can appreciate the mood. Sadly Johnson's director is incredibly dull and lifeless, so none of that either. Just a pretty big disappointment for me.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 16th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Craig's accent worked for me because he always seemed like kind of a charlatan in the first place - and I think in a sense he belongs to the tradition of such things, usually whoever plays Poirot in the Christie adaptations can't do the accent right. But you and I just have completely different ideas of what good acting, directing, writing, photography and pretty much everything else cinema-related are, so no surprises in our different reactions. :party:

Didn't see the new Murder myself, and don't remember the 70s one being that great. I'm not sure I've ever really liked a Christie adaptation, and this kind of murder-mystery is rarely compelling to me - I mean I like watching a lot of the older ones but I'm not sure there's a single film on my overall favorites list that's in this category. To me they tend to be enjoyable but forgettable fast-food, much like most American action films.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 22nd, 2020, 4:03 am

Saw Uncut Gems last night, and though their non-stop intensity isn't really my thing these days, I gotta say that the Safdie Brothers filmmaking is impressive.

Perhaps the heirs to Scorsese as hard core, yet stylish New York filmmakers, they like to deal with the streetwise hucksters who have spent their lives trying to make a big score, if only to try and rescue themselves from all the repeated falls that have turned them into "unlucky losers."

And Uncut Gems is as impressive a film as Good Times was, with its non-stop frenetic, risky hustle just to stay alive. The film's unrelenting pace mirrors the nature of Manhattan itself, and every moment is on the verge of being or becoming overwhelming, which is exactly what things are like for the main characters. While Uncut Gems is similar in many ways to Good Times, it is more ambitious and its characters are more developed (Adam Sandler is excellent, by the way, and Julia Fox reminded me some of Jennifer Lawrence). At the same time, the film is not quite as tight, which comes across most in the end.

The Safdie Brothers run the risk of exhausting viewers before we are half way into the film, but if you can stomach the roller coaster ride through purgatory this film has a lot to offer, and it almost fully satisfies its promise. If I were to round off my score, I would probably round down, though, mostly because the ending was not fully satisfying in terms of periphery characters and situations. It's never clear, for example, how Julia escapes the thug who has found out her whereabouts.

Even though I am pretty tired of films and characters of this ilk, I would give this one an 8.2 rating (maybe slightly above Good Times) and include it in my top 10 for the year (though I still have many more films to get to from 2019). And why is that, you might wonder? The answer is simply because the film is not only a fresh take on a tired genre, but also very imaginative, and skillfully done.
Last edited by cinewest on February 23rd, 2020, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 23rd, 2020, 3:16 pm

On a very good streak at the moment. Since Uncut Gems, I saw Il Ladro di Bambini (Stolen Children, Amelio, 1992), and Arrhythmia (Khlebnikov, 2017).

Stolen Children has been on my list for quite a few years since seeing others I liked by Amelio (particularly Lamerica), and it didn't disappoint. The delivery of siblings who have become wards of the state to an orphanage by a policeman turns into a road trip the length of Italy, where bonds are made, if only briefly. Very poignant, and very well edited- 7.8

I came across Arrythmia on Amazon prime with out knowing anything about it except that it was made by a filmmaker I like, and I was in the mood for a Russian film, so I decided to give it a try, especially since the trailer intrigued. The film didn't disappoint, either, and reminded me of a combination of Marriage Story and various Eastern European dark comedy / dramas about their hellish medical system. 7.3

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 23rd, 2020, 4:29 pm

We decided to watch a movie with 6 guys and 4 girls, browsing Netflix and someone asked if Fight Club was any good. I said yes as it's mainstream enough for everyone to follow and generally liked.

Someone voted no though because the movie is too old

:verymad:
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 23rd, 2020, 4:32 pm

When I worked in a video store I'd routinely see people in their 60s and older refusing to watch any films that hadn't come out THAT WEEK. They weren't the majority but there is a quite sizable portion of people of any age who only ever want the brand-new. At least in movies and TV; don't think I've ever met anybody who hates all the music they grew up with and only wants the stuff their kids or grandkids listen to.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 23rd, 2020, 11:27 pm

My dad is kind of like that. He says he’s sick of the music he grew up with so listens to top 40s mainstream radio (whilst I listen to the stuff his parents grew up with lol). He also generally only watches films and TV made within the last few years, and English language only.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 24th, 2020, 2:17 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 4:32 pm
When I worked in a video store I'd routinely see people in their 60s and older refusing to watch any films that hadn't come out THAT WEEK. They weren't the majority but there is a quite sizable portion of people of any age who only ever want the brand-new. At least in movies and TV; don't think I've ever met anybody who hates all the music they grew up with and only wants the stuff their kids or grandkids listen to.
A lot of people only want the latest consumer goods, but isn’t that what consumer culture is all about?

At the same time, I have also seen people so stuck in their eras that they are really out of touch with the world and unable to recognize anything outstanding that isn’t filled with their own nostalgia for days gone by.

Personally, I love traveling... traveling through time, history, and into all kinds of cultures, and movies, music, and other art forms are just some of the ways I do that.

I also love discovering what’s new, what’s beyond the scope of the culture I grew up in, and the all consuming, pervasive American culture whose perspective on the world is warped by its own self consumption.

I also love what feels like it’s on the pulse of the now (though that doesn’t usually describe most new things) because that’s actually what’s most real and alive.
Last edited by cinewest on February 25th, 2020, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 25th, 2020, 8:43 am

People tend to be a bit snooty when Bollywood or Turkish films enter a list like the IMDb Top 250. Not saying that's without reason, but then you see something like Field of Dreams (9 official toplists!) and all you can think is ... :shrug:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 25th, 2020, 8:59 am

Onderhond wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 8:43 am
People tend to be a bit snooty when Bollywood or Turkish films enter a list like the IMDb Top 250. Not saying that's without reason, but then you see something like Field of Dreams (9 official toplists!) and all you can think is ... :shrug:
Wow! We agree on a movie! 4/10 :)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Field of Dreams is bad for cinema, bad for baseball, and bad for America.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 25th, 2020, 2:36 pm

but...it brought boys and men together, as only sweaty all-male atheltic exertion can do. Well, and the priesthood.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 25th, 2020, 2:55 pm

so i watched parasite... and then mendonça filho's bacurau and... is this just how movies are now??

tbc the apocalyptic spaghetti western was marginally more entertaining
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 25th, 2020, 2:59 pm

blocho wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Well, at least it got me 2 bronze awards (AFI 100 cheers & The Guardian 1000). Silver linings!

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 25th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 2:59 pm
blocho wrote:
Well, at least it got me 2 bronze awards (AFI 100 cheers & The Guardian 1000). Silver linings!
A perfect example of when I just prefer to stay away, as there really isn’t suitable reward for willfully choosing to waste precious leisure time.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 25th, 2020, 3:34 pm

cinewest wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 3:24 pm
A perfect example of when I just prefer to stay away, as there really isn’t suitable reward for willfully choosing to waste precious leisure time.
Well, I don't research films, so it's hard to know up front. The choice to watch this was simple availability + Offical List count.
And similarly, I watched Detention last week with great results. It pays to get out of your bubble once in a while.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » February 26th, 2020, 8:41 am

blocho wrote:
This is a hall-of-fame forum quote. ;)

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 27th, 2020, 5:25 am

Just saw this great comedy: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/gwendoline/

It's an Indiana Jones rip-off mixed with softcore bondage fetish, all played out with wooden acting, awful editing, and terrible dubbing. Hilarity abounds.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » February 29th, 2020, 2:16 am

A sexy, colorful short starring Cate Blanchett really oughta have more than three checks. :)