Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, January nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

2020 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

Traveller

Re: 2020 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

Post by Traveller » November 10th, 2019, 5:07 pm

peeptoad wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm
Coryn wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Why do I feel the urge to make watchlists for the whole of 2020 already :turned:
ditto. filtering my watchlist is becoming an addiction of sorts.
Yes, with the current schedule this looks to be another great year of challenges. :cheers:
72aicm wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Western has been held in May since 2012. Swap it back with TSPDT please. No need to end a tradition when we don’t have to.
Then, how about Lonewolf's proposal of switching Comedy and Low IMDb rating (with Western in May and TSPDT in June)? Looks fine to me.
ICM
December Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 10th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Traveller wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 5:07 pm
peeptoad wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm
Coryn wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Why do I feel the urge to make watchlists for the whole of 2020 already :turned:
ditto. filtering my watchlist is becoming an addiction of sorts.
Yes, with the current schedule this looks to be another great year of challenges. :cheers:
most certainly :cheers:

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 10th, 2019, 6:37 pm

sol wrote: * = still taking feedback on whether or not to flip these (China/Nordic)
Looks good like it is imo. :cheers:

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 10th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Oh yeah. Looking forward to another great year. I wonder if there'll be new awards :whistling:

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Traveller wrote:
72aicm wrote:
Western has been held in May since 2012. Swap it back with TSPDT please. No need to end a tradition when we don’t have to.
Then, how about Lonewolf's proposal of switching Comedy and Low IMDb rating (with Western in May and TSPDT in June)? Looks fine to me.
That’ll work. :)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 10th, 2019, 10:55 pm

72aicm wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm
Traveller wrote:
72aicm wrote:
That’ll work. :)
Argh, I'm confused. Is this what you mean?

Changing this:
May Balkans TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century Comedy
June Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) Western 1960s
July Canada Run the Director Low IMDb rating

To this:
May Balkans Western Low IMDb rating
June Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s
July Canada Run the Director Comedy

Or to that with Balkans and Iberia also switched?? I don't really have a problem with this, however, flavo made some salient points on the previous page regarding not hosting Westerns in May simply due to tradition. Also, albajos mentioned a good point about pairing up Run the Director and Low IMDb Rating since most participants probably won't keep running low-rated directors. But yeah, I can switch things as above if that's what everyone wants.
flavo5000 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm
Upon reflection, I kinda like the idea of switching China and Nordic just to avoid a flood of wuxia movies in the sci-fi/fantasy challenge. Honestly as much as I've been talking about triples and what not, I actually prefer challenges that don't compliment each other since it leads to a wider variety of watches. Just gets kinda boring when you see the tenth person watching Zu Warriors or whatever.
I actually think this is a very good point. Fantasy is quite prevalent throughout HK cinema, while there are only three films from the 1950s (April Challenge) in the official list of 200+ films. I think it only makes sense to flip Nordic and the Chinas as hurlu earlier suggested, but we can keep talking this through if necessary. Most folks here don't seem to mind either way.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 10th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Second draft complete schedule. This is what we are looking at right now with Nordic and the Chinas switched. Westerns is still a hot debate, so please weigh in if you have a perspective about which month it should be hosted in and what it should be paired with. I'll try to balance out all perspectives when I check this thread again after work today.

2020 Challenge Schedule: A Work in Progress
MonthCountry ChallengeTheme ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Nordic countries Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
February Africa African American/Blaxploitation Academy Award Nominees
March India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh Crime films Directed by Women
April China/Hong Kong/Taiwan Doubling the Canon Nominees 1950s
August Germany/Austria/Switzerland <400 Checks 1970s
September Russia/USSR Animation Silent Era
October Southeast Asia Horror 1990s
November Mexico Film Noir Unofficial
December Caribbean Documentary 1980s
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 10th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Might as well have noir in August then? :shrug:

Again, as long as there is no good reason to move Western then it should be held in May.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 10th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Let's give flavo and everyone else a chance to chime in, but there aren't any counter-perspectives offered by the evening (my time), I will change...

This:

To this:
May Balkans Western Low IMDb rating
June Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s

...since I think that's what you're suggesting (not 100% clear about that).
Image Image Image

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 10th, 2019, 11:53 pm

If Western is moved back to May I think Iberia should go with it, cause they make a nice duo.
So this:
May Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) Western Low IMDb rating
June Balkans TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 11th, 2019, 12:28 am

I totally agree with Lonewolf.
That's all, folks!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 11th, 2019, 2:54 am

A lot of spaghetti westerns were made in Spain (Paella westerns?). If people count them for Spain, along with the 1960s, we might have triples bonanza in May.

Which I'm in favor of. But I suspect some people might not be.

I have no objection to westerns in any month. With respect to 72aicm, I don't see why it needs to tie in with May.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 11th, 2019, 4:12 am

blocho wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 2:54 am
A lot of spaghetti westerns were made in Spain (Paella westerns?). If people count them for Spain, along with the 1960s, we might have triples bonanza in May.

I have no objection to westerns in any month. With respect to 72aicm, I don't see why it needs to tie in with May.
Not as many as you might think. I looked it up and I think it's a far cry from bonanza. Also, I still see no reason to keep western in may 'just because' if the alternative is less preferred by more (which im not sure if it is or isn't). I'm also all for keep low imdb with rtd and keeping comedy away from western personally for the previously stated reasons.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 11th, 2019, 4:37 am

flavo5000 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 4:12 am
blocho wrote:

Not as many as you might think. I looked it up and I think it's a far cry from bonanza. Also, I still see no reason to keep western in may 'just because' if the alternative is less preferred by more (which im not sure if it is or isn't). I'm also all for keep low imdb with rtd and keeping comedy away from western personally for the previously stated reasons.
Well, for perspective, the Western challenge has been run every year in May for the last 8 years. Every May, 2012 - 2019, we've had an official Western challenge. In fact, we've never had an official Western challenge not in May.

So personally, while I'm not necessarily married to Westerns in May, for the sake of tradition I'd really like Western to be in May unless there is a rather compelling reason not to.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 11th, 2019, 5:26 am

Lonewolfs idea looks great to me. I think we're done. :thumbsup:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 11th, 2019, 9:24 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 11:53 pm
If Western is moved back to May I think Iberia should go with it, cause they make a nice duo.
So this:
I like it. :thumbsup:

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » November 11th, 2019, 9:55 am

Just came here to say great job organizing the schedule, sol. :cheers: :cheers:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 11th, 2019, 10:20 am

flavo5000 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 4:12 am
blocho wrote:

Combined with low IMDb ratings instead of 1960s might make even less triples possible. (I haven't checked how many low rated Paella Westerns there are)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 10:25 am

Third draft. Will add to the OP soon.

January Nordic countries Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 10:27 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:20 am
Combined with low IMDb ratings instead of 1960s might make even less triples possible. (I haven't checked how many low rated Paella Westerns there are)
145 Spanish westerns with an IMDb rating under 5.4 ! https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

Only 65 have more than 50 votes though, so dunno about availability. :unsure:
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 10:30 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:20 am
188 Spanish westerns from 1960 to 1969: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

Some of those are co-productions though and are probably more Italian than Spanish depending on how strict we are being.

118 Spanish westerns from 1960-1969 have 50 votes or more.
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » November 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

I have given a reason to why Nordic should be in April or later, so no, January does not work

And RTD should not be with any genre, it will just make both those challenges so much more uninteresting.

The setup was fine before I went to bed. And several gave it thumbs up. If people can't give any reason other than personal preference, then we will never get anywhere.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 10:34 am

shugs wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 9:55 am
Just came here to say great job organizing the schedule, sol. :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks, but this is not over yet. Not by a long shot. :ermm:
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 10:40 am

albajos wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:32 am
I have given a reason to why Nordic should be in April or later, so no, January does not work

And RTD should not be with any genre, it will just make both those challenges so much more uninteresting.

The setup was fine before I went to bed. And several gave it thumbs up. If people can't give any reason other than personal preference, then we will never get anywhere.
I suppose we could switch Nordic with Balkans (June) or Germany etc (August), but flavo gave a pretty compelling reason why the Chinas shouldn't be in January, hence the switch. But no, Nordic doesn't have to be a January Challenge...

I agree with you about Run the Director being a better pairing with Low IMDb Rating, but the appetite doesn't seem to be there for it. I guess I could run a snap poll on whether to pair up Western with Comedy or Low IMDb Rating --- or alternatively whether to pair up RTD with LIR or Comedy.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 10:46 am

Okay, I've just run the numbers, and I think albajos is correct about Iberia / Western / Comedy being the best combination.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

Only 75 potential triples (including ineligible co-productions) and only 44 with 50 votes or more. That's much less open-ended than the other combinations that we have been looking at.

Thoughts everyone?
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 11th, 2019, 11:26 am

sol wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:46 am
Okay, I've just run the numbers, and I think albajos is correct about Iberia / Western / Comedy being the best combination.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

Only 75 potential triples (including ineligible co-productions) and only 44 with 50 votes or more. That's much less open-ended than the other combinations that we have been looking at.

Thoughts everyone?
Looks fine to me.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I have to go to bed in the next couple of hours, so before I do...

This is the fourth draft. Will add to the OP soon.

Changes made and the logic behind them:

Swapped Nordic and Balkans - The Balkans was a leftover country that we merely added in towards the end. There are no strong ties (as far as I am aware) to link it into June where it was placed in the second/third draft. By moving Nordic into June it allows all of the countries' annual awards to have been presented, which albajos argues is helpful to have knowledge of prior to running the Nordic challenge.

Swapped Comedy and Low IMDb Rating - Whilst everyone was arguing whether Iberia+Westerns+LIR or Iberia+Westerns+1960s would lead to more of a triple bonanza, we never actually researched the comedy-western-Iberia option, which actually has by far the least triples (although still plenty for those who feel so inclined). Low IMDb Rating and Run the Director are also more diverse options than RTD+Comedy, since some directors (Gerald Thomas anyone?) spent significant chunks of their film career in that single genre. I also agree with the logic that most users would probably use RTD to explore the more acclaimed directors out there, meaning that triples/doubles will be harder to attain unless one is actively trying to achieve them.

To be honest, I don't think there's any perfect system here that is going to please everyone, but does the following lineup at least look acceptable to most of you? :shrug:

January Balkans Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
May Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) Western Comedy
June Nordic countries TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s
Image Image Image

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

:thumbsup: Looks totaly fine to me. I have no problem with the Comedy-Western pairing.
Thanks for all your great work and patience, sol! :thumbsup:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 11th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Looks fine. Good work, sol. Consensus building is difficult.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 11th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I'm still not nuts about the Comedy/Western pairing but hey, I guess everybody can't be pleased 100%. Anyway I think the schedule is looking pretty solid.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 11th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I'd still prefer Nordic countries in April and switch it with China/Hong Kong/Taiwan (for what albajos said; and it not running this year whereas the other one did).
ICM
December Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 11th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Looks really solid. Of course there are months that looks less interesting, but that’s just my personal preference.
Great job. :)
Last edited by 72aicm on November 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 11th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Traveller wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 5:12 pm
I'd still prefer Nordic countries in April and switch it with China/Hong Kong/Taiwan (for what albajos said; and it not running this year whereas the other one did).
+1
(No huge swing in numbers of triples available either I reckon.)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 11th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Dunno how much I'll be playing next year, but I have to say that Run the Director + Low Rating is genius to me. An excuse to finish off my Cormans, and hopefully I won't be the only person to do nice runs of Jim Wynorski and Andy Sidaris...

India Istanbul

Post by India Istanbul » November 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm

sol wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 2:13 pm
I have to go to bed in the next couple of hours, so before I do...

This is the fourth draft. Will add to the OP soon.

Swapped Nordic and Balkans - The Balkans was a leftover country that we merely added in towards the end. There are no strong ties (as far as I am aware) to link it into June where it was placed in the second/third draft. By moving Nordic into June it allows all of the countries' annual awards to have been presented, which albajos argues is helpful to have knowledge of prior to running the Nordic challenge.

Swapped Comedy and Low IMDb Rating - Whilst everyone was arguing whether Iberia+Westerns+LIR or Iberia+Westerns+1960s would lead to more of a triple bonanza, we never actually researched the comedy-western-Iberia option, which actually has by far the least triples (although still plenty for those who feel so inclined). Low IMDb Rating and Run the Director are also more diverse options than RTD+Comedy, since some directors (Gerald Thomas anyone?) spent significant chunks of their film career in that single genre. I also agree with the logic that most users would probably use RTD to explore the more acclaimed directors out there, meaning that triples/doubles will be harder to attain unless one is actively trying to achieve them.

To be honest, I don't think there's any perfect system here that is going to please everyone, but does the following lineup at least look acceptable to most of you? :shrug:

June Nordic countries TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s
This looks great. You have the patience of a saint. I look forward to these challenges!

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » November 11th, 2019, 7:41 pm

India Istanbul wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm
This looks great. You have the patience of a saint. I look forward to these challenges!
+1 :thumbsup:
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 11th, 2019, 11:05 pm

FIFTH DRAFT. Will add to the OP soon.

Swapped Nordic and China/HK/TW - As requested by two users above, this ensures that none of the 2019 region challenges are repeated in the first five months of the year.

Can we say 'done' yet? :unsure:

2020 Challenge Schedule
April Nordic Countries Doubling the Canon Nominees 1950s
June China/Hong Kong/Taiwan TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 12th, 2019, 4:50 am

The only two months that stand out to me as incongruous pairings are Nordic, DtC Noms, 1950s and Russia/USSR, Animation, Silent. That's just a personal observation on how the pairings look together from my perspective. I'm not so sure that I can put forward alternative pairings that would meet with approval.

Everything else looks very nice, I think.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Thanks, Roger. And since we have experienced no objections in the past 14 hours, I am officially declaring this as finally DONE. :sweat:

Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 12th, 2019, 1:09 pm

sol wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm
And since we have experienced no objections in the past 14 hours, I am officially declaring this as finally DONE. :sweat:
MANY thanks sol. :cheers: