Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Coeur fidèle, September nominations (Aug 30th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Movies from the Benelux

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7745
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

iCM Forum's Favourite Movies from the Benelux

#1

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 31st, 2019, 1:57 pm

iCM Forum's Favourite Movies from the Benelux
Nominations

Image

It's time to chose our favorite movies from Belgium, the Netherlands and/or Luxembourg, often know under the portmanteau Benelux.

The deadline is August 30th
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
Some help:
Movies from Belgium you rated on IMDb
Movies from the Netherlands you rated on IMDb
Movies from Luxembourg you rated on IMDb
Like always these do include co-productions, so you have to filter those out according to your own judgement. Of course you can always ask others here for their opinions.

Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly. So there won't be any hassle with having to recalculate the results after we have started. Any volunteer who wants to count participants with me?
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on August 23rd, 2019, 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.


User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#3

Post by Carmel1379 » July 31st, 2019, 3:21 pm

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8177
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#4

Post by jvv » July 31st, 2019, 3:58 pm


User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1860
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#5

Post by beavis » July 31st, 2019, 4:08 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icmp ... is/beavis/

there is some rare stuff with very few checks on there, Dirty Picture even has only one
but I hope that inspires others to look out for my favorites ;)
(and it is also ranked)

EDIT: I just made my Benelux watchlist on Letterboxd public
https://letterboxd.com/beavis/list/watchlist-benelux/
so you know why some movies are absent from my list, and I really need to give Spoorloos a rewatch (has been ages and I didn't greatly connect with it back then…)
Last edited by beavis on July 31st, 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#6

Post by Coryn » July 31st, 2019, 4:37 pm

How are 4 months, 3weeks, 2 days and the house that jack built Belgian?

Never mind, I see they are coproductions.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1860
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#7

Post by beavis » July 31st, 2019, 4:45 pm

I left out a lot of great co-productions, simply because these movies aren't really from Benelux filmmakers. European cinema is known to work a lot with co-financing across borders, so it can be hard to figure out sometimes, but I hope people will make a little more effort than simply looking at imdb and ranking anything that has a Benelux country attached to it...


User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#9

Post by Coryn » July 31st, 2019, 4:59 pm

beavis wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 4:45 pm
I left out a lot of great co-productions, simply because these movies aren't really from Benelux filmmakers. European cinema is known to work a lot with co-financing across borders, so it can be hard to figure out sometimes, but I hope people will make a little more effort than simply looking at imdb and ranking anything that has a Benelux country attached to it...
True, I was really confused at first. A lot of movies have nothing to do with Benelux except for financing
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#10

Post by joachimt » July 31st, 2019, 5:02 pm

Coryn wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 4:37 pm
How are 4 months, 3weeks, 2 days and the house that jack built Belgian?

Never mind, I see they are coproductions.
You mean somebody voted for them or you wondered why they popped up on your search results?

4 months, 3weeks, 2 days = Romanian
the house that jack built = eh.... Danish? Hard to say these days with Lars.

Don't vote for these in a Benelux poll.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5743
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#11

Post by albajos » July 31st, 2019, 5:05 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls048450004/ ranked

I have seen more favorites on IDFA but they were never added to imdb

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2723
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#12

Post by Onderhond » July 31st, 2019, 5:08 pm

List: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... onderhond/ (ranked)
Visual stimulant & inspiration: https://www.onderhond.com/toplist/benelux

Hot tip: Nuite Noir. A bit of Lynch (Eraserhead), a bit of Cronenberg (Naked Lunch), a whole lot of cool.


User avatar
Traveller
Posts: 518
Joined: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Germany
Contact:

#13

Post by Traveller » July 31st, 2019, 5:58 pm

Ranked.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls048450849/

Could only come up with a short list as well.
ICM
August Challenge: ImageImage
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

User avatar
rnilsson19
Posts: 591
Joined: Dec 01, 2016
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#14

Post by rnilsson19 » July 31st, 2019, 7:01 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls048457335/

I've yet to decide whether to include Akerman or not.

User avatar
TraverseTown
Posts: 246
Joined: Jan 25, 2013
Location: USA
Contact:

#15

Post by TraverseTown » July 31st, 2019, 7:24 pm

Has this poll ever been run before?


User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1132
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#17

Post by Lakigigar » July 31st, 2019, 8:11 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+ ... lakigigar/

ranked, will see some belgian movies and spoorloos before the deadline, so possibly some changes expected.

Will do some advertising on moviemeter.nl
Last edited by Lakigigar on July 31st, 2019, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#19

Post by joachimt » July 31st, 2019, 8:32 pm

TraverseTown wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 7:24 pm
Has this poll ever been run before?
No
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#20

Post by joachimt » July 31st, 2019, 8:35 pm

Profit & Nothing But! is Haitian.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3148
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#21

Post by Fergenaprido » July 31st, 2019, 9:34 pm

Here's my list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls048454054/ (ranked)

Submitting early for once. May get a chance to watch a few more before the deadline, but will be travelling most of the month (including maybe through Benelux itself!) so it's also probable that nothing will change. There are a lot of notable films I've yet to see, so looking forward to the results of this list to help me prioritize.

Also, this is one of the few countries/regions for which we do polls that has a decent-sized userbase here on the forum; would be interesting to see the biggest differences in the results from Beneluxers and non-Beneluxers.

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1860
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#22

Post by beavis » August 1st, 2019, 10:38 am

only difference might be the chance to have seen more (because of the local releases and no need for subtitles). I have seen 114 Belgian movies and 284 Dutch movies (and 0 from Luxemburg it seems, although the MovieMeter database gives me 27 movies if I select co-productions… but then, I get 406 movies for the Netherlands and 244 for Belgium... the point is, I've seen a fair share of movies from these countries). But looking at the Benelux-users here, the taste seems to diverge just as much as between them and the rest of the users here, so it won't really give you any useful statistiscs or results I think...

User avatar
Caracortada
Posts: 592
Joined: Nov 21, 2014
Contact:

#23

Post by Caracortada » August 1st, 2019, 2:38 pm

Great that there's finally a Benelux poll! Dutch movies will probably get much more entries than Flemish, and the brothers Dardenne will probably dominate the Belgian part. I will include some old Flemish comedies and farmer movies, but I don't think those will get much support. It's certainly a part of the world that deserves its own poll.

User avatar
Caracortada
Posts: 592
Joined: Nov 21, 2014
Contact:

#24

Post by Caracortada » August 1st, 2019, 4:21 pm

ICM Poll: Big in the Benelux

The top 4 contains one movie from the Netherlands, one from Flanders, one from Wallonia and one from Brussels.

1930s 03
1940s 02
1950s 04
1960s 08
1970s 15
1980s 22
1990s 16
2000s 28
2010s 33
Last edited by Caracortada on August 1st, 2019, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#25

Post by Coryn » August 1st, 2019, 4:34 pm

Caracortada wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 4:21 pm
ICM Poll: Big in the Benelux

The top 4 contains one movie from the Netherlands, one from Flanders, one from Wallonia and one from Brussels.
RIP German part of Belgium.
little rip for Luxembourg
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#26

Post by Coryn » August 1st, 2019, 4:43 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls048414384/

Ranked

Only voting for movies I rated 7 or higher.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
Caracortada
Posts: 592
Joined: Nov 21, 2014
Contact:

#27

Post by Caracortada » August 1st, 2019, 4:52 pm

Coryn wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 4:34 pm
Caracortada wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 4:21 pm
ICM Poll: Big in the Benelux

The top 4 contains one movie from the Netherlands, one from Flanders, one from Wallonia and one from Brussels.
RIP German part of Belgium.
little rip for Luxembourg
These two regions don't really seem to have a movie industry. I included Girl with a Pearl Earring low in my list, which is a British film, but shot in the three Benelux countries.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#28

Post by joachimt » August 1st, 2019, 7:51 pm

It's hard to decide when a movie by Joris Ivens still counts as Dutch and when it is French. He made a lot of movies living in France. I think I'll draw the line there with subject matter and/or filming locations.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#29

Post by joachimt » August 1st, 2019, 8:10 pm

Lonewolf, do you think De zevensprong is allowed? It's a continuous story, one season, 13 episodes.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#30

Post by Ebbywebby » August 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am

I don't know nuttin' about movies from...Luxembourg (??), but IMDb cites films including:

Match Point
JCVD
The Pillow Book
More [1969]
Sunset Song
Free Willy 2
An American Werewolf in Paris
Feardotcom
Shadow of the Vampire
Hysteria
Rescue Dawn
Girl with a Pearl Earring

Really?

User avatar
Teproc
Posts: 219
Joined: Sep 23, 2015
Contact:

#31

Post by Teproc » August 2nd, 2019, 8:24 am

Sample #456786123 in the case of "IMDB is not a good way to determine what country a movie is from unless you're interested in the fine mysteries of coproduction financing".

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5743
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#32

Post by albajos » August 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am

Anyway. The Pillow Book is not like the others. Greenaway get most of his movies funded in the Netherlands nowadays

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#33

Post by joachimt » August 2nd, 2019, 8:37 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am
I don't know nuttin' about movies from...Luxembourg (??), but IMDb cites films including:

Match Point
JCVD
The Pillow Book
More [1969]
Sunset Song
Free Willy 2
An American Werewolf in Paris
Feardotcom
Shadow of the Vampire
Hysteria
Rescue Dawn
Girl with a Pearl Earring

Really?
Check every movie one by one. If it's the only production country, it's fine. If it's the third or forth, very probably not eligible. But then check content, director, cast, filming locations, etc..... and decide for yourself. Country/region-polls are a bit more work because of this, you can't just rely on IMDb advanced search.
And check if it's on a certain country list on iCM.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"



User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#36

Post by joachimt » August 2nd, 2019, 9:54 am

albajos wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am
Anyway. The Pillow Book is not like the others. Greenaway get most of his movies funded in the Netherlands nowadays
Does that make those movies Dutch? They don't feel Dutch enough to me.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5743
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#37

Post by albajos » August 2nd, 2019, 9:58 am

joachimt wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 9:54 am
albajos wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am
Anyway. The Pillow Book is not like the others. Greenaway get most of his movies funded in the Netherlands nowadays
Does that make those movies Dutch? They don't feel Dutch enough to me.
If Celine Dion can win the Eurovision for Switzerland, then Peter Greenaway can make movies in the Netherlands. I would think it's easier for him to get full artistic control outside of the UK.

User avatar
Teproc
Posts: 219
Joined: Sep 23, 2015
Contact:

#38

Post by Teproc » August 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am

joachimt wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 8:37 am
Ebbywebby wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am
I don't know nuttin' about movies from...Luxembourg (??), but IMDb cites films including:

Match Point
JCVD
The Pillow Book
More [1969]
Sunset Song
Free Willy 2
An American Werewolf in Paris
Feardotcom
Shadow of the Vampire
Hysteria
Rescue Dawn
Girl with a Pearl Earring

Really?
Check every movie one by one. If it's the only production country, it's fine. If it's the third or forth, very probably not eligible. But then check content, director, cast, filming locations, etc..... and decide for yourself. Country/region-polls are a bit more work because of this, you can't just rely on IMDb advanced search.
And check if it's on a certain country list on iCM.
I mean, it seems easier to just look at the movies and go "is this Dutch/Belgian/Luxembourgian ?"... admittedly some cases can be tough especially for Wallonia, but that will wade through most of it quicker than checking for production countries. the IMDB filter gives you a manageable list to start with though.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2723
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#39

Post by Onderhond » August 2nd, 2019, 11:12 am

Belgium is pretty eager to fund international cinema, especially with French films like Grave or animation like Les Triplettes de Belleville it can get a little muddy.
Imo, it's better to be more conservative when choosing what to enter, but that's personal. I sure hope nobody is going to submit Free Willy 2 or Feardotcom though.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29189
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#40

Post by joachimt » August 2nd, 2019, 11:41 am

Teproc wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am
joachimt wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 8:37 am
Ebbywebby wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am
I don't know nuttin' about movies from...Luxembourg (??), but IMDb cites films including:

Match Point
JCVD
The Pillow Book
More [1969]
Sunset Song
Free Willy 2
An American Werewolf in Paris
Feardotcom
Shadow of the Vampire
Hysteria
Rescue Dawn
Girl with a Pearl Earring

Really?
Check every movie one by one. If it's the only production country, it's fine. If it's the third or forth, very probably not eligible. But then check content, director, cast, filming locations, etc..... and decide for yourself. Country/region-polls are a bit more work because of this, you can't just rely on IMDb advanced search.
And check if it's on a certain country list on iCM.
I mean, it seems easier to just look at the movies and go "is this Dutch/Belgian/Luxembourgian ?"... admittedly some cases can be tough especially for Wallonia, but that will wade through most of it quicker than checking for production countries. the IMDB filter gives you a manageable list to start with though.
"Is this...?" is enough to ask for a lot of movies. So yeah, I didn't mean to check everything for every movie. I can safely mark a lot of movies as Dutch, simply because I know the movies are Dutch by language, filmmaker, etc... But you can't simply ask the question for everything and be done with it like that.

To me "Is this...?" is often a tough question to answer. If a movie has a French title, I often don't know if it's from France or French part of Belgium or even from Canada. There are also movies with an English title and spoken in English, which can still be considered Dutch. If I wouldn't look closely, I would probably dismiss Brimstone for example. It's in English. The leading actors are Engilsh/American. It is shot in lots of countries, but not the Netherlands. It looks to me like it is set in USA. Etc... But... the director is Dutch and more importantly, it won a Gouden Kalf at the Dutch film festival. So who am I to consider this NOT Dutch.
Mr. Nobody is a Belgian example. Without looking at the iCM page, I wouldn't have thought of this as a Belgian movie.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Post Reply