Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Tsuma wa kokuhaku suru AKA A Wife Confesses (1961) Film of the Week #288

Cocoa
Donator

Tsuma wa kokuhaku suru AKA A Wife Confesses (1961) Film of the Week #288

Post by Cocoa » July 7th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Film of the Week #288: Tsuma wa kokuhaku suru AKA A Wife Confesses (1961)

Summary:
Ayako is charged with murdering her much older academic husband while climbing a mountain. Ayako was having an affair, apparently with her husband's approval, and this complicates the trial.

Info/Links:
#21 on 500<400, with 172 checks.
Nominated by Cocoa, joachimt, and xianjiro.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#21(⇧27, #48) Tsuma wa kokuhaku suru (1961)
[A Wife Confesses]

Directed by: Yasuzô Masumura
(910.75 Pts, 19 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–3–7
History: 2148281836←45
ICheckMovies: 161 Checks , 23 Favourites , 4 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
joachimt (3)
burneyfan (10)
Kasparius (10)
Nopros (11)
AdamH (20)
bal3x (24)
OldAle1 (35)
Renegade (NA)
sushantv10 (52)
rokp (53)
zuma (55)
Melvelet (81)
72allinncallme (91)
Ebbywebby (94)
jeroeno (112)
Odradek (128)
Ivan0716 (NA)
St. Gloede (302)
Perception de Ambiguity (1308)

This movie fits the current Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.
Last edited by Cocoa on July 8th, 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 7th, 2019, 6:45 pm

:wub:

There's a size-tag going wrong in the OP.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » July 13th, 2019, 8:35 pm

For a film at #21 on the 500<400 list, I would have expected more replies. I guess rank doesn't fit into the equation for how much discussion there is for a film.

I just saw this film for the first time today. I wasn't a fan of the dialogue (for example, one of the characters saying a cliche line about how she knows because she's a woman in reference to the main character's relations to a male character). None of the characters felt compelling to me. Promoted Japanese films on this forum are a hit-or-miss for me. Some I love, and then there are others that fall into a meh-lodramatic category for me that feels like an acquired taste I simply don't have.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 14th, 2019, 9:54 am

My reaction was pretty similar to Cocoa's - I know this was made in the early sixties and even in the nineties the Japanese were still pretty sexist, but there were are least three times the script relied on something like, "but then, she's just a woman." Thought the acting was fine if a bit stiff but that seemed rather intentional, like the characters were doing what was expected of them, what fate had in store. There were moments of emotion and they seemed a bit more poignant when compared to the rest of the film. The cinematography worked well, especially in the tight spaces. The film definitely had a claustrophobic feeling - like we were trapped along with the characters.

Luckily, I never had any experiences with the legal system in Japan so I found it fascinating to see the difference in the procedures but can't help but wonder if this movie is to the Japanese legal system what Perry Mason is to that in the US. Hearsay? No problem. Conjecture? Go for it. Objection? What's that? IDK, it seemed kind of far fetched at times, but as I said, I don't have any idea what a real Japanese courtroom is like, let alone one in the sixties.

Oh, as for the husband: yeah, I saw him on the streets, on the train, in restaurants. He was totally believable.

Great film? Nah. I was tempted to give this a 6, but that felt a bit too low. Even for the stiffness, all in all, I thought it was an average film.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » July 14th, 2019, 10:42 am

The director lures us into a court mystery to develop more sociological themes like marital oppression in Japan's 60s. B&W cinematography is good but a rather convoluted plot with main characters that keep changing their stance kind of lost me.
7-
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 14th, 2019, 11:49 pm

One thing I forgot to mention last night - I found the editing jarring and more then once had to get my bearings in space and time. That really bothered me.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here