Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

Ongoing Film Connections Challenge

Mochard

Ongoing Film Connections Challenge

Post by Mochard » May 29th, 2019, 12:41 am

Connect films to each other challenge.

With no official Degrees of Separation challenge this year, I thought I would do an unofficial challenge with a different name.

General rules

- The challenge is ongoing or until you get stuck.
- Films can be on any official/unofficial list, or none at all.
- Rewatches are allowed.
- Each film you watch must have some connection to the film you watched just before it. You don't need to use the same type of connection between films all the time, there are many ways to connect them: same actor, same director, same year, same theme, same list on ICM, same song, same locations, same word in title, etc. Use your imagination..
- Watch any film you like for the first film
- When posting the films you've watched add the connection to the previous one.

If you want a trickier challenge then try only connecting the next film with a person that was in your previous film. Actor, director, cinematographer, stunt person etc.. See if you can change countries and how diverse you can get your connections. I find half the challenge is choosing a connection then finding a film to watch rather than watching a film and trying to connect it to the film you just watched. Either way have fun.
Last edited by Mochard on May 29th, 2019, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 29th, 2019, 12:50 am

I was missing the Degrees of Separation challenge! I'm in, starting in June, if not before. :cheers:

Mochard

Post by Mochard » May 29th, 2019, 12:51 am

1. Bridge of Spies (2015) - 8/10 - Actor Mark Rylance is also in
2. Intimacy (2001) - 6.5/10 -

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 29th, 2019, 1:35 am

I take it back -- I can't wait to start. I'll begin with the movie I'm currently watching (I'm most of the way through), and I'll only draw from movies already available to me (= already in my collection, or DVRed/on my streaming services).

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » May 29th, 2019, 3:29 am

Sure, I'll do this

albajos

Post by albajos » May 29th, 2019, 6:45 am

In the official challenge you can't do the same connection twice (so 4 movies with Tom Hanks f.ex (Big to Joe vs the Volcano then later in the challenge Road to Perdition to The Man with One Red Shoe)
since this is open ended can we do people several times?

I wont, but just want a clarification

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 29th, 2019, 6:06 pm

01. Bez svideteley a.k.a. Without Witnesses a.k.a. A Private Conversation (Mikhalkov, 1983) -- directed by Nikita Mikhalkov ---->
02. Raba lyubvi a.k.a. A Slave of Love (Mikhalkov, 1976)

Bez svideteley is a two-actor drama about a confrontation between a divorced couple, while Raba lyubvi is about a 1916 silent film actress whose world is crumbling around her during the Russian Civil War.

My next connection may take longer than expected -- it's a miniseries...

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 30th, 2019, 1:15 am

albajos wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 6:45 am
In the official challenge you can't do the same connection twice (so 4 movies with Tom Hanks f.ex (Big to Joe vs the Volcano then later in the challenge Road to Perdition to The Man with One Red Shoe)

If this is an ongoing challenge it might be wise to have some restriction on reusing type of connection but not so much so that folks run out of connection types - so no using the same type twice in a row, or oftener than every x films, or something.

Glad to see this challenge and glad to see Burney back in action, but I feel too old to take it on - that way lies madness.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Mochard

Post by Mochard » May 30th, 2019, 2:15 am

3eyes wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 1:15 am
albajos wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 6:45 am

If this is an ongoing challenge it might be wise to have some restriction on reusing type of connection but not so much so that folks run out of connection types - so no using the same type twice in a row, or oftener than every x films, or something.

Glad to see this challenge and glad to see Burney back in action, but I feel too old to take it on - that way lies madness.
I don't see any issue with using the same connection type as many times in a row as you like as long as it isn't the same thing that connects them. So for example you could do actor forever but only 2 of the same actor in a row. However with say year, you can only ever do 2 in a row as they are the same thing. I am actually going to try and only connect films by different actors and maybe directors. I'll see.

As for using the exact same connection further into the challenge, I don't see why not. You could watch 2 tom hanks films then 1 clint eastwood and then back to 1 tom hanks films. I don't see an issue with this other than you may get sick of tom hanks. In theory this would mean tom hanks is in all 4 films in a row but you aren't using tom hanks as a connection for all of them.

Hope that makes sense.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 31st, 2019, 11:22 am

SpoilerShow
01. Bez svideteley a.k.a. Without Witnesses a.k.a. A Private Conversation (Mikhalkov, 1983) -- directed by Nikita Mikhalkov ---->
02. Raba lyubvi a.k.a. A Slave of Love (Mikhalkov, 1976)
02. Raba lyubvi a.k.a. A Slave of Love (Mikhalkov, 1976) -- actor Oleg Basilashvili ---->
03. Master i Margarita a.k.a. The Master and Margarita (Bortko, 2005)

Basilashvili is a prominent Russian actor who was also active in politics in the 1990s. He plays a silent film producer in Raba lyubvi, and the mysterious Woland in Master i Margarita.

Master i Margarita (2005) is a ten-part miniseries -- the episodes are 45-48 minutes apiece. I haven't read the novel, but from what I understand, this miniseries is a pretty faithful adaptation; it made me want to read the novel even more than I already did, which is a good sign (it's sitting on my bookshelf!). Basilashvili is mesmerizing as Woland, and the actors playing Pontius Pilate and Jesus are also particularly good. The fantasy aspects of the novel are mostly done with CGI, which shows its age a bit, but as long as you can overlook that the CGI isn't as "perfect" as it would be today, it's very engaging. One big exception to the CGI is the diabolical cat, who is mostly performed as a little person in a cat costume with some facial manipulations -- it's simultaneously funny and very creepy, which works perfectly for the film.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 31st, 2019, 10:19 pm

SpoilerShow
02. Raba lyubvi a.k.a. A Slave of Love (Mikhalkov, 1976) -- actor Oleg Basilashvili ---->
03. Master i Margarita a.k.a. The Master and Margarita (Bortko, 2005)
03. Master i Margarita a.k.a. The Master and Margarita (Bortko, 2005) -- based on fiction by Mikhail Bulgakov ---->
04. Morfiy a.k.a. Morphine (Balabanov, 2008)

Morfiy is largely autobiographical, as it tells the story of a young doctor in the country during the Russian Revolution who gets addicted to...you guessed it! The only other Balabanov film I've seen was Brothers (1997); I liked Morfiy much better. Anyone squeamish should be advised that there are some extremely graphic surgery scenes.

04. Morfiy a.k.a. Morphine (Balabanov, 2008) -- "morphine" in title --->
05. Pes sti morfini akoma tin psahno a.k.a. Still Looking for Morphine (Fagras, 2001)

While the young, troubled heroine of this Greek film does plenty of drugs, morphine does not actually appear to be one of them (though I may have overlooked it -- there are a LOT of drugs to keep track of in the film); here, "morphine" means something else. This one is on the Sight & Sound Hidden Gems list; while I wasn't blown away, I did think it a good film with some interesting cinematographic choices and a strong performance from Ekavi Douma.

05. Pes sti morfini akoma tin psahno a.k.a. Still Looking for Morphine (Fagras, 2001) -- scenes filmed in Athens --->
06. La coda dello scorpione a.k.a. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (Martino, 1971)

Pretty standard giallo; I didn't guess right about the killer, so I'm pleased about that (I get a little disappointed in the film when I can predict right). Both of these films have some arresting overlook shots of Athens.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » June 2nd, 2019, 3:07 am

SpoilerShow
03. Master i Margarita a.k.a. The Master and Margarita (Bortko, 2005) -- based on fiction by Mikhail Bulgakov ---->
05. Pes sti morfini akoma tin psahno a.k.a. Still Looking for Morphine (Fagras, 2001) -- scenes filmed in Athens --->
06. La coda dello scorpione a.k.a. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (Martino, 1971)
06. La coda dello scorpione a.k.a. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (Martino, 1971) -- lead role for Uruguayan actor George Hilton --->
07. Ognuno per sé a.k.a. The Ruthless Four (Capitani, 1968)

George Hilton (born Jorge Hill Acosta y Lara) was in lots of spaghetti westerns and gialli. The lead role is actually split four ways in Ognuno per sé -- between Hilton, Van Heflin (looking older and fatter than I'd ever seen him), Klaus Kinski, and (a minor favorite of mine) Gilbert Roland. With a cast like that, the film should be better than it is, but it takes a long time to get going, and the only really great performance in the film is Roland's -- the rest are sleepwalking a bit. The plot involves prospector Heflin's attempt to retrieve a lot of gold that he has hidden far away, and which people he can trust.

07. Ognuno per sé a.k.a. The Ruthless Four (Capitani, 1968) -- featuring Mexican-born actor Gilbert Roland --->
08. The Torch (Fernández, 1950)

Except for one thing, this film is a freaking disaster. It's a remake of Fernández's GOOD Spanish-language hit, Enamorada (1946)...except they add in laughs that just do not fit. Gilbert Roland is confined to a supporting role as a priest, alas, and Pedro Armendáriz does what he can as the bandit general who falls in love with a patriarch's daughter, but the lead female absolutely RUINS the film. I've liked Paulette Goddard fine in the past, but this is one role I loooooooooathed her in. At 40, she is way too old to be playing a young bride, and her age shows. While most others are playing it seriously and nobly, like in many of Fernández's films, she acts like Scarlett O'Hara meets a New York screwball comedy character...it is revolting, so out of place, and her Yankee accent is absolutely jarring amid so many Mexican accents. She has a co-producer's credit on the film, so I wonder what she paid or did to get this role. There are only two reasons I did not hit the Dislike button on ICM: one, a nice Mexican song interlude that Paulette Goddard could not destroy, and two, the beautiful Gabriel Figueroa cinematography, speaking of which...

08. The Torch (Fernández, 1950) -- the team of director/writer Emilio Fernández and cinematographer Gabriel Figueroa --->
09. Pueblerina (Fernández, 1949)

Figueroa shot a large percentage of Fernández's films, and their pairing was often magical. María Candelaria (Xochimilco), La perla, Enamorada, Salón México...they made some very beautiful, atmospheric movies, and Pueblerina is no exception. The story concerns a farmer who is paroled after several years in prison for shooting his girlfriend's rapist; he hopes to come home to finally marry his girl and resume farming, but the reality turns out to be much more complicated and hazardous. There is some very striking dancing and ballad-singing in the film, and the performances are nicely done. It may not be my favorite film of the duo, but it's certainly worth a watch...and if you need extra incentive, it's on the Cien años sin soledad official list.

09. Pueblerina (Fernández, 1949) -- singing guitarist --->
10. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen, 2018)

Well...I love westerns, and I love the Coens, so yes, I liked it very much. It doesn't reach the highest level of some of their other work, and the stories in this six-episode anthology are a bit uneven in quality, but I still had a great time.

10. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen, 2018) -- involvement of a Kazan family member --->
11. The Visitors (Kazan, 1972)

Zoe Kazan acted in Buster Scruggs, while her grandfather Elia directed and her (I believe) uncle Chris wrote the screenplay of The Visitors. It's an ugly little film. I don't mean it's a bad film; it's just one of those films that show you ugliness within human nature. The plot concerns two Vietnam vets who come to visit another veteran buddy and his girlfriend; there are tensions between the visitors and the guy they're visiting that become apparent, and things go from there. Not one of Kazan's finer films, but not bad; Steve Railsback is particularly good as one of the grudge-bearing buddies.

11. The Visitors (Kazan, 1972) -- starring an actor whose real-life politics I can't stand --->
12. The High and the Mighty (Wellman, 1954)

The actor whose real-life politics I can't stand in The Visitors is James Woods (in his film debut, no less) and in The High and the Mighty, it's John Wayne. This is an ensemble disaster film that preceded and paved the way for many other, similar disaster films a la Airport (all of them!), The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, as well as the spoofs like Airplane! -- Robert Stack plays a pilot in both films! Jan Sterling does a nice job, but I found most of the film interminable. Sorry, William Wellman.

I'm on my way to Bollywood next, I think...

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » June 3rd, 2019, 3:32 am

SpoilerShow
06. La coda dello scorpione a.k.a. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (Martino, 1971) -- lead role for Uruguayan actor George Hilton --->
07. Ognuno per sé a.k.a. The Ruthless Four (Capitani, 1968) -- featuring Mexican-born actor Gilbert Roland --->
08. The Torch (Fernández, 1950) -- the team of director/writer Emilio Fernández and cinematographer Gabriel Figueroa --->
10. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen, 2018) -- involvement of a Kazan family member --->
11. The Visitors (Kazan, 1972) -- starring an actor whose real-life politics I can't stand --->
12. The High and the Mighty (Wellman, 1954)

12. The High and the Mighty (Wellman, 1954) -- airplane trouble --->
13. Aradhana (Samanta, 1969)

Mildly better-than-average Bollywood fare, thanks to Sharmila Tagore. She spends most of the film crying and a lot of it in old-age makeup, but she does her best as an ill-fated heroine who must endure multiple privations. I didn't find the songs particularly memorable.

13. Aradhana (Samanta, 1969) -- a military man receives a shoulder wound --->
14. Pride of the Marines (Daves, 1945)

In Aradhana, the wounded man is a major character, while in Pride of the Marines, it's lead John Garfield's good buddy (played by Dane Clark). The film is the true story of a Guadalcanal hero who has to cope with a serious war injury. The film wasn't outstanding, but John Garfield and Eleanor Parker bring a lot to their lead roles.

14. Pride of the Marines (Daves, 1945) -- U.S. Marines have trouble adjusting to life back home after WWII --->
15. Till the End of Time (Dmytryk, 1946)

Similar in some ways to The Best Years of Our Lives (released that same year), and far from awful, but it just can't compare. Guy Madison can't carry the film as intended, and Robert Mitchum is underutilized in a supporting role; Dorothy McGuire underperforms, as well.

15. Till the End of Time (Dmytryk, 1946) -- someone wants to go to a ranch --->
16. The Falcon Out West (Clemens, 1944)

Enjoyable, but not the best in the Falcon series that I've seen to date. In this one, Tom (Tom Conway) is lured out to a Texas ranch to solve a rich man's murder that appears to be caused by snakebite...in the middle of a swanky dinner club.

16. The Falcon Out West (Clemens, 1944) -- lead actor plays a sleuth he's played before --->
17. The Drowning Pool (Rosenberg, 1975)

This was Tom Conway's fourth appearance in a Falcon movie, while Paul Newman is reprising his Harper role in The Drowning Pool. This time, Harper is drawn down to New Orleans to help out an old girlfriend (played by real-life wife Joanne Woodward); she thinks she's being blackmailed by a dismissed chauffeur for a past sexual indiscretion. The film isn't quite as good as Harper, but Newman has the same easy charm and has to endure many dangers. A young Melanie Griffith appears as a spoiled young woman trying to seduce Harper; she and Newman worked together again nearly twenty years later in Nobody's Fool.

I'm watching several Hollywood films in succession because I'm trying to pare down some recent DVRs from TCM. I have at least one more American production to go, and then I may jump out of the U.S., or at least off my limited DVR queue.

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 3rd, 2019, 3:56 am

2. Intimacy (2001) - 6.5/10 - Actress Kerry Fox is in this and also in
3. The Hanging Garden (1997) - 7/10

3 ConnectionsShow
1. Bridge of Spies (2015) - 8/10 - Actor Mark Rylance is also in
2. Intimacy (2001) - 6.5/10 - Actress Kerry Fox is also in
3. The Hanging Garden (1997) - 7/10

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 4th, 2019, 2:53 am

3. The Hanging Garden (1997) - 7/10 - The Actress Sarah Polley was in this and also in
4. The Sweet Hereafter (1997) - 8/10 - which was Directed by Atom Egoyan who also directed
5. Remember (2015) - 8/10

I have somehow found my self in Canada, I am going to try and get myself into the silent films and out of Canada just by using actors, actresses and directors. I will see how I do.

5 ConnectionsShow
1. Bridge of Spies (2015) - 8/10 - Actor Mark Rylance was in this film and he was also in
2. Intimacy (2001) - 6.5/10 - which contained the Actress Kerry Fox who was also in
3. The Hanging Garden (1997) - 7/10 - The Actress Sarah Polley was in this and also in
4. The Sweet Hereafter (1997) - 8/10 - which was Directed by Atom Egoyan who also directed
5. Remember (2015) - 8/10

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » June 5th, 2019, 1:08 pm

SpoilerShow
14. Pride of the Marines (Daves, 1945) -- U.S. Marines have trouble adjusting to life back home after WWII --->
16. The Falcon Out West (Clemens, 1944) -- lead actor plays a sleuth he's played before --->
17. The Drowning Pool (Rosenberg, 1975)

17. The Drowning Pool (Rosenberg, 1975) -- producer Lawrence Turman --->
18. The Great White Hope (Ritt, 1970)

Lawrence Turman produced (or co-produced) The Graduate, The Thing, and...Short Circuit ( :rolleyes: ) , among other films. The Great White Hope is smart to use its two leads from the Broadway production for the film, James Earl Jones and Jane Alexander; the two are both very powerful actors. The film feels a bit stagy (not such a surprise, given where it came from) and now...a bit dated, but overall, it was still worth a watch.

18. The Great White Hope (Ritt, 1970) -- partially filmed at San Rafael Ranch State Park in Patagonia, Arizona --->
19. Arizona Dream (Kusturica, 1993)

I have an uneasy relationship with Kusturica's films; I really enjoy some of them, and other times, their busy-ness can just drive me crazy. This was Kusturica's film with a big (mostly) American cast, and it's quite a lineup: Johnny Depp, Faye Dunaway, Lili Taylor, Vincent Gallo, and Jerry Lewis. (!) This is one of those films that mostly sits on the border of "drive me crazy," though I can definitely see it having its admirers. The plot is incredibly convoluted, so I'll just say that the main focus is on Depp's impressionable youth and his fascination with stepmother and stepdaughter duo Dunaway and Taylor (who are both basically crazy). Quirky and very long (to me).

19. Arizona Dream (Kusturica, 1993) -- accordion player --->
20. Kong que a.k.a. Peacock (Gu, 2005)

I had a much more "official" tie figured out between these two (they both won the same award), but I'll save that one in case it comes in handy some other time, and go with the showcasing of an accordion player in each film. Peacock impressed me more than I expected; it's the story of three siblings in a Chinese family in the 1970s, with each of the film's three sections told from the point of view of a different sibling. The characters are engaging, the continuity is potentially complex but made easy to follow, and the 2h 20 min flew by quickly. It looks like Changwei Gu has done three other films, and I'd like to eventually pursue them. Nice little surprise.

20. Kong que a.k.a. Peacock (Gu, 2005) -- on Time Out Shanghai's 100 Best Mainland Chinese Films list --->
21. Xiao Wu a.k.a. Pickpocket (Jia, 1997)

I thought that someone had told me ages ago that Zhangke Jia's Pickpocket was a remake of the Bresson film, but that's not the case at all -- I have no idea where I got that idea. It's a very impressive film debut for Jia, made all the more impressive by his getting such great performances out of a non-professional cast.

21. Xiao Wu a.k.a. Pickpocket (Jia, 1997) -- director Zhangke Jia --->
22. Tian zhu ding a.k.a. A Touch of Sin (Jia, 2013)

A Touch of Sin feels quite different to me from Jia's other films that I've seen (= five) -- it's an anthology of four different stories that have a much more direct, violent, brassy flavor to them than what I'd expected. The element that particularly ties this to the rest of the work I've seen is Jia's social consciousness and critique of Chinese government/culture; I believe that all four episodes are derived from / inspired by real historical events. Not my favorite Jia, but still good stuff.

22. Tian zhu ding a.k.a. A Touch of Sin (Jia, 2013) -- Chinese festival --->
23. Qiu yue a.k.a. Autumn Moon (Law, 1992)

There is an episode involving Chinese New Year in the Jia film, but Clara Law's Autumn Moon features an autumn festival of the dead. This moves me to Hong Kong -- it's the story of the unlikely friendship between a world-weary, young, video camera-toting Japanese tourist and an impulsive Hong Kong schoolgirl who is preparing to emigrate to Canada with her family. Since the young man doesn't speak Cantonese and the girl doesn't speak Japanese, a lot of the film winds up in pidgin English. It moves slowly, but it has its rewards. The two leads were fine, but I was actually most impressed by actress Siu Wan Choi, who plays the girl's grandmother. She doesn't get a ton of screen time, but she gets a couple of special moments that make her stand out.

My next connection will get me out of Asia and over to '50s France...

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 9th, 2019, 1:03 am

5. Remember (2015) - 8/10 - This film surprised me with how much I enjoyed it and Actor Christopher Plummer was as good as ever. I decided to check him out in
6. The Silent Partner (1978) - 7/10

I am still in Canada but knocked the years down to 1978. Lets see if the next one gets me closer to the silent era.

6 ConnectionsShow
1. Bridge of Spies (2015) - 8/10 - Actor Mark Rylance was in this film and he was also in
2. Intimacy (2001) - 6.5/10 - which contained the Actress Kerry Fox who was also in
5. Remember (2015) - 8/10 - This film surprised me with how much I enjoyed it and Actor Christopher Plummer was as good as ever. I decided to check him out in
6. The Silent Partner (1978) - 7/10

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 9th, 2019, 3:05 am

6. The Silent Partner (1978) - 7/10 - This starred Actor Elliott Gould and he was also in
7. Kicking and Screaming (1995) - 6/10

OK so I got out of Canada and into the US. May be a little easier to get to the 1920's now, however, I'm in 1995 and most of the actors in this last film were pretty young. I'll see how I get on!

7 ConnectionsShow
6. The Silent Partner (1978) - 7/10 - This starred Actor Elliott Gould and he was also in
7. Kicking and Screaming (1995) - 6/10

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » June 9th, 2019, 3:33 am

SpoilerShow
18. The Great White Hope (Ritt, 1970) -- partially filmed at San Rafael Ranch State Park in Patagonia, Arizona --->
20. Kong que a.k.a. Peacock (Gu, 2005) -- on Time Out Shanghai's 100 Best Mainland Chinese Films list --->
23. Qiu yue a.k.a. Autumn Moon (Law, 1992)

23. Qiu yue a.k.a. Autumn Moon (Law, 1992) -- Locarno Festival Golden Leopard winner --->
24. Le mouton à cinq pattes a.k.a. The Sheep Has Fives Legs (Verneuil, 1954)

Cute comedy with Fernandel playing six different roles: an old partriarch and his five adult sons. Some sons' storylines were better than others, but it was an easy, breezy watch.

24. Le mouton à cinq pattes a.k.a. The Sheep Has Fives Legs (Verneuil, 1954) -- comic actor Fernandel --->
25. La fille du puisatier a.k.a. The Well-Digger's Daughter (Pagnol, 1940)

As charming as Pagnol's other films, a film that chooses heart over conventional morality (for the most part...the ending is a gimme to potential censors, both political and moral/religious). Raimu's good in this one, too. I'd be interested in seeing the remake, and if they deal with France's surrender to the Nazis, as this one does.

25. La fille du puisatier a.k.a. The Well-Digger's Daughter (Pagnol, 1940) -- working-class leading lady is accused of gold-digging --->
26. Small Town Girl (Wellman & Leonard, 1936)

Josette Day is the unfairly accused in La fille du puisatier, while Janet Gaynor is the unfortunate in Small Town Girl, really noteworthy only for her performance (and the fact that for once in these stories, it isn't her rich in-laws doing the accusing).

26. Small Town Girl (Wellman & Leonard, 1936) -- lead actor has trouble with fiancée, gets drunk, and does something life-alteringly impulsive --->
27. Black Fury (Curtiz, 1935)

In Small Town Girl, Robert Taylor winds up married to Janet Gaynor, whom he hardly knows, while Paul Muni in Black Fury winds up breaking with his wimpy coal miners' union to lead a strike. Paul Muni supposedly did a lot of research for this role, but he's just so over the top, even for him...much of the time, I found it hard to watch him. Karen Morley has a pretty small role as the troubling fiancée, but she does quite a bit with what she's given.

27. Black Fury (Curtiz, 1935) -- supporting actor Willard Robertson --->
28. Housewife (Green, 1934)

Robertson was a very prolific stock actor at Warner Bros in the '30s and '40s, often playing policemen, military men, or other figures of authority. Bette Davis gets billed with George Brent over Ann Dvorak, but Dvorak has more screen time (and was about as famous as Bette in 1934). Except for the star appeal, it's a very formulaic script, with an ambitious man (Brent) aided by the support and sacrifice of his wife (Dvorak), only to take up with a more worldly seductress (Davis) when he becomes successful. I'll also echo someone's comment that I saw on the ICM site: George Brent is terrible at acting drunk.

28. Housewife (Green, 1934) -- Bette Davis plays a bad girl --->
29. Satan Met a Lady (Dieterle, 1936)

Satan Met a Lady is a very loose remake of the The Maltese Falcon, coming between the more famous (and more faithfully-adapted) 1931 and 1941 Maltese Falcons. This one has Warren William in the Sam Spade role (except here he's known as Ted Shane), and Davis is the lady who enlists his help... William is pretty good, but this is not a great film for Davis, unfortunately.

These last four films were another attempt to pare down the always-growing supply of Hollywood films on my small DVR (mostly from TCM); I'm going to stick with the DVR for at least one more film, but it will take me out of the Warner Bros lot and over to England, at least...

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 9th, 2019, 6:06 pm

7. Kicking and Screaming (1995) - 6/10 - which was Directed by Noah Baumbach who also directed
8. While We're Young (2014) - 6.5/10

Definitely heading in the wrong direction away from the silent era but was a bit of a struggle finding something I could watch based on my actor and director choices.
8 ConnectionsShow
7. Kicking and Screaming (1995) - 6/10 - which was Directed by Noah Baumbach who also directed
8. While We're Young (2014) - 6.5/10

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 10th, 2019, 1:34 am

8. While We're Young (2014) - 6.5/10 - Actor Charles Grodin is in this and also in
9. Catch-22 (1970) - 7/10

Heading in the right direction now towards my mini goal of a silent film.

9 ConnectionsShow
8. While We're Young (2014) - 6.5/10 - Actor Charles Grodin is in this and also in
9. Catch-22 (1970) - 7/10

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 10th, 2019, 8:08 am

Is it allowed to watch stuff outside of the challenge (not counting of course) or does everything you watch have to fit in?

It is of course possible to think of a (dubious) connection for everything I watch, but if I join this challenge I would
like to connect only through actors/actresses and that might be too difficult if I need to fit in movies I want to watch
for the conquer the world challenge.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » June 10th, 2019, 11:38 pm

jvv wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:08 am
Is it allowed to watch stuff outside of the challenge (not counting of course) or does everything you watch have to fit in?

It is of course possible to think of a (dubious) connection for everything I watch, but if I join this challenge I would
like to connect only through actors/actresses and that might be too difficult if I need to fit in movies I want to watch

I'm curious about Mochard's opinion, but I had planned to put this challenge "on hold" from this Wednesday to Sunday while I'm at a film festival watching lots of unidentified clips / reels and other obscurities; there will be so many items at once that my head would spin if I had to tie everything together. So...in a sense, I'd be doing what you'd do to fit in movies for Conquer the World, skipping over certain selections.

Oh -- for any who are curious, the film festival is the Library of Congress's Mostly Lost 8: https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-f ... ly-lost-8/

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 11th, 2019, 1:14 am

burneyfan wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 11:38 pm
jvv wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:08 am

I'm curious about Mochard's opinion, but I had planned to put this challenge "on hold" from this Wednesday to Sunday while I'm at a film festival watching lots of unidentified clips / reels and other obscurities; there will be so many items at once that my head would spin if I had to tie everything together. So...in a sense, I'd be doing what you'd do to fit in movies for Conquer the World, skipping over certain selections.

Oh -- for any who are curious, the film festival is the Library of Congress's Mostly Lost 8: https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-f ... ly-lost-8/
Yeah. If I've understood you right, just pause this challenge and watch what you like, then come back to this one when you watch a film. I haven't yet but that's because I don't get to watch many films these days but if the around the world challenge is next month then I may give that a go and then come back to this one. This one is ongoing so you can come and go as you please. This may be the case if a film at the cinema isn't out for a month but you want to connect it to the last film you watched for some reason, watch what you like till the film comes out.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » June 11th, 2019, 3:03 pm

SpoilerShow
23. Qiu yue a.k.a. Autumn Moon (Law, 1992) -- Locarno Festival Golden Leopard winner --->
24. Le mouton à cinq pattes a.k.a. The Sheep Has Fives Legs (Verneuil, 1954) -- comic actor Fernandel --->
25. La fille du puisatier a.k.a. The Well-Digger's Daughter (Pagnol, 1940) -- working-class leading lady is accused of gold-digging --->
26. Small Town Girl (Wellman & Leonard, 1936) -- lead actor has trouble with fiancée, gets drunk, and does something life-alteringly impulsive --->
27. Black Fury (Curtiz, 1935) -- supporting actor Willard Robertson --->
28. Housewife (Green, 1934) -- Bette Davis plays a bad girl --->
29. Satan Met a Lady (Dieterle, 1936)
Another session of paring down the DVR...

29. Satan Met a Lady (Dieterle, 1936) -- leading lady shuts herself in a washroom --->
30. The Divorce of Lady X (Whelan, 1938)

Laurence Olivier displays some comic chops here, but it's a one-joke film that goes on for an awfully long time.

30. The Divorce of Lady X (Whelan, 1938) -- actor Michael Rennie --->
31. Trio (Annakin & French, 1950)

Rennie's uncredited in the first film, but he has a prime role in Trio as a reforming ne'er-do-well at a sanatorium. He's probably best known for playing Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still.

31. Trio (Annakin & French, 1950) -- art director Maurice Carter --->
32. Violent Playground (Dearden, 1958)

Stanley Baker is good here as a police officer specializing in juvenile crime, and the on-location shooting in Liverpool adds grit, but the plot is pretty predictable.

32. Violent Playground (Dearden, 1958) -- actress Sheila Raynor --->
33. Dunkirk (Norman, 1958)[/b]

Raynor is uncredited in Dunkirk. She's best known as Alex's mother in A Clockwork Orange.

33. Dunkirk (Norman, 1958) -- actor Anthony Nicholls --->
34. Our Mother's House (Clayton, 1967)

Extremely creepy story about seven orphaned siblings who carry on alone, telling no one that their mother has died...until their wandering dad shows up... Excellent performances from the children (and Dirk Bogarde is good as their wayward father). Some people consider this the second film in an unofficial Clayton trilogy specializing in children in creepy circumstances, the other two films being The Innocents and Something Wicked This Way Comes. All are worth watching. I may go back and Favorite this later...

34. Our Mother's House (Clayton, 1967) -- lead actor Dirk Bogarde --->
35. So Long at the Fair (Fisher & Darnborough, 1950)

Jean Simmons is really good in this as a doe-eyed young thing whose brother seems to disappear overnight from a Paris hotel, while Bogarde seems to be the only person who can even remember the brother existed; the premise and plot are ridiculous, but as long as you can just go with it, it's fun.

35. So Long at the Fair (Fisher & Darnborough, 1950) -- odd happenings at a hotel --->
36. Bad Times at El Royale (Goddard, 2018)

Well, that got me out of mid-century England, at least! I enjoyed a lot of this Tarantino-esque film, but it goes a little downhill in the final third. I think El Royale will manage to get me to Spain and away from my DVR for a bit.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 11th, 2019, 4:40 pm

0. Timbuktu (2014) - 5/10 -- Abel Jafri -->
1. Bled Number One (2007) - 5.5/10

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 12th, 2019, 9:01 pm

SpoilerShow
1. Bled Number One (2007) - 5.5/10 -- Meriem Serbah -->
2. Le monde est à toi (2018) - 7/10

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm

9. Catch-22 (1970) - 7/10 - Actor Orson Welles shows up in this film and he made an appearance in
10. Journey Into Fear (1942) - 6/10

Jumped nearly 30 years into the 1940's so lets see if I can reach the silent movies with the next film. At first glance it looks like it may be harder than you would think!

10 ConnectionsShow
9. Catch-22 (1970) - 7/10 - Actor Orson Wellesshows up in this film and he made an appearance in
10. Journey Into Fear (1942) - 6/10

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 17th, 2019, 12:51 am

Mochard wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Jumped nearly 30 years into the 1940's so lets see if I can reach the silent movies with the next film. At first glance it looks like it may be harder than you would think!
Frank Puglia (uncredited) was in Orphans of the Storm (1921).

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 27th, 2019, 8:27 pm

SpoilerShow
2. Le monde est à toi (2018) - 7/10 -- François Damiens -->
3. Dikkenek (2006) - 2/10

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 28th, 2019, 9:59 pm

jvv wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 12:51 am
Mochard wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Frank Puglia (uncredited) was in Orphans of the Storm (1921).
I've just seen this and funnily enough I actually chose Frank Puglia but not from Orphans of the Storm as I have already seen that movie (not that I can't do re-watches but I'd rather not if possible).

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 28th, 2019, 10:46 pm

9. Catch-22 (1970) - 7/10 - Actor Orson Welles shows up in this film and he made an appearance in
10. Journey Into Fear (1942) - 6/10 which had an uncredited performance from Actor Frank Puglia who was also uncredited in
11. The Man Who Laughs (1928) - 6.5/10

So I made my mini goal of reaching the silent films. I've decided to make a list of mini goals to try and make my challenge a little more interesting and I will try and complete them as I go in any order. I think the harder ones are the country ones and then getting out of that country. Lets see if I can complete the 30 mini goals in 100 films or less. I'm not sure that I will but I'll give it my best shot.

11 ConnectionsShow
9. Catch-22 (1970) - 7/10 - Actor Orson Wellesshows up in this film and he made an appearance in
10. Journey Into Fear (1942) - 6/10 which had an uncredited performance from Actor Frank Puglia who was also uncredited in
11. The Man Who Laughs (1928) - 6.5/10
Mini Goals 1/30Show
These mini goals where predominantly picked by my wife and I had to modify a couple of them as they were a little too specific! The only rule I am giving myself is if a film covers two mini goals then I can only pick one goal. For example an animation from 1968. I can only choose animation or 1968.

1. Silent Film - Completed with The Man Who Laughs
2. Film containing a character played by different actors in the same film
3. Film with a food in the title
4. An Animated Film
5. Foreign Language Film with American Actor in it.
6. Film from the year 1968
7. Film directed by a woman
8. Film on no ICM Lists
9. A film with a well known musician in it
10. An LGBTQ film
11. A film featuring an animal as a main character
12. An Oscar nominated film
13. A film based on a novel
14. A box office flop with a rating greater than 5/10 on imdb
15. A Time Travel Film
16. A film directed by Ron Howard
17. A film with Actress Doris Day in it
18. A film with Actor Clint Eastwood in it
19. A film with a one word title
20. A film with a color in the title
21. A film from Australia
22. A film from Japan
23. A film from Russia or USSR
24. A film from UK
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 29th, 2019, 6:58 pm

11. The Man Who Laughs (1928) - 6.5/10 - Actor Conrad Veidt stars in this and also in
12. Dark Journey (1937) - 6/10

This film actually satisfies two mini goals but I'm going to pick no.24 Film from the UK.

12 ConnectionsShow
11. The Man Who Laughs (1928) - 6.5/10 - Actor Conrad Veidt stars in this and also in
12. Dark Journey (1937) - 6/10
Mini Goals 2/30Show
These mini goals where predominantly picked by my wife and I had to modify a couple of them as they were a little too specific! The only rule I am giving myself is if a film covers two mini goals then I can only pick one goal. For example an animation from 1968. I can only choose animation or 1968.

1. Silent Film - Completed with The Man Who Laughs (1928)
4. An Animated Film
8. Film on no ICM Lists
10. An LGBTQ film
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
24. A film from UK - Completed with Dark Journey (1937)
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 1st, 2019, 9:16 pm

ConnectionsShow
3. Dikkenek (2006) - 2/10 -- Dominique Pinon -->
4. La cité des enfants perdus (1995) - 7.5/10

EDIT: I'll join the mini-goal challenge as well

La cité des enfants perdus is a French language film with American Actor Ron Perlman.
Mini Goals 1/30Show

1. Silent Film
4. An Animated Film
5. Foreign Language Film with American Actor in it - La cité des enfants perdus (1995) - French with Ron Perlman
8. Film on no ICM Lists
10. An LGBTQ film
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
24. A film from UK
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 4th, 2019, 9:34 pm

ConnectionsShow
4. La cité des enfants perdus (1995) - 7.5/10 -- Ron Perlman -->
5. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) - 4/10

Star Trek: Nemesis has a rating of 6.4 at Imdb. It earned a total of $67,312,826 worldwide, against a production budget of $60 million.
I think that would be considered a box office flop, so I am going to use it for that mini-goal. In case that isn't considered a flop, let me know,
and I'll use it for another mini-goal.
Mini Goals 2/30Show

1. Silent Film
4. An Animated Film
5. Foreign Language Film with American Actor in it - La cité des enfants perdus (1995) - French with Ron Perlman
8. Film on no ICM Lists
10. An LGBTQ film
14. A box office flop with a rating greater than 5/10 on imdb - Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
24. A film from UK
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 6th, 2019, 5:59 pm

ConnectionsShow
5. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) - 4/10 -- Patrick Stewart -->
6. Lifeforce (1985) - 3/10

I'll use Lifeforce for the one word title mini-goal
Mini Goals 3/30Show

1. Silent Film
4. An Animated Film
8. Film on no ICM Lists
10. An LGBTQ film
14. A box office flop with a rating greater than 5/10 on imdb - Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
15. A Time Travel Film
19. A film with a one word title - Lifeforce (1985)
22. A film from Japan
24. A film from UK
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 12th, 2019, 9:37 pm

ConnectionsShow
6. Lifeforce (1985) - 3/10 -- Peter Firth -->
7. The Rescuers Down Under (1990) - 4/10

The Rescuers Down Under is an animated film.
Mini Goals 4/30Show

1. Silent Film
4. An Animated Film - The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
8. Film on no ICM Lists
10. An LGBTQ film
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
24. A film from UK
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

Mochard

Post by Mochard » July 13th, 2019, 2:57 am

12. Dark Journey (1937) - 6/10 - This film has Actor Henry Oscar in it who died 4 years after appearing in
13. War-Gods of the Deep (1965) - 5/10

The mini goal I'm choosing for this film is a film on no ICM lists. I know there will be plenty more films on no lists but may as well choose this one.
13 ConnectionsShow
12. Dark Journey (1937) - 6/10 - This film has Actor Henry Oscar in it who died 4 years after appearing in
13. War-Gods of the Deep (1965) - 5/10
Mini Goals 3/30Show

4. An Animated Film
8. Film on no ICM Lists - Completed with War-Gods of the Deep (1965)
10. An LGBTQ film
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

Mochard

Post by Mochard » July 13th, 2019, 6:38 pm

13. War-Gods of the Deep (1965) - 5/10 which was Directed by Jacques Tourneur who also directed
14. La Battaglia di Maratona (1959) - 4/10

No mni goal for this film. I was trying to get to France and you would think with Jacques Tourneur I would have a good chance but no, most of his films are British lol. This film happens to be Italian which isn't a mini goal.
14 ConnectionsShow
13. War-Gods of the Deep (1965) - 5/10 which was Directed by Jacques Tourneur who also directed
14. La Battaglia di Maratona (1959) - 4/10
Mini Goals 3/30Show

4. An Animated Film
8. Film on no ICM Lists - Completed with War-Gods of the Deep (1965)
10. An LGBTQ film
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 15th, 2019, 6:39 pm

ConnectionsShow
6. Lifeforce (1985) - 3/10 -- Peter Firth -->
7. The Rescuers Down Under (1990) - 4/10 -- Frank Welker -->
8. The Trouble With Girls (1969) - 2/10

The Trouble With Girls has Elvis in it, who I would say is a well known musician. :P
Mini Goals 5/30Show

1. Silent Film
4. An Animated Film - The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
5. Foreign Language Film with American Actor in it - La cité des enfants perdus (1995)
8. Film on no ICM Lists
9. A film with a well known musician in it - The Trouble With Girls (1969)
10. An LGBTQ film
15. A Time Travel Film
22. A film from Japan
24. A film from UK
25. A film from Germany
26. A film from Sweden
27. A film from France
28. A film from India
29. A film from Iran
30. A film from Spain