Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 30th), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: A tanú, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Banned Films Challenge

jeroeno

Re: Banned Films Challenge

Post by jeroeno » June 6th, 2019, 5:51 am

13. Hra o jablko (1977) (Soviet Union, Banned by the Czech Communist government. The director, Věra Chytilová, personally asked for more information at the censor board and heard that the Soviet embassy felt the subject matter was "too heavy-duty")
14. Born American (1986) (Finland-Political Reasons and Violence)
15. Ja milujem, ty milujes (Czechoslovakia, "ugly movie about ugly people and too depressing for the viewers")

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 6th, 2019, 10:30 am

Banned of OutsidersShow
1. The Evil Dead (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
2. The Funhouse (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
3. Firecracker (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
4. Inseminoid (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
5. Nightbeast (1982) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
6. Mausoleum (1983) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
7. Love Camp 7 (1969) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

8. Christmas Evil (1980) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to graphic violence (and making Santa into a serial killer)

Also known as You Better Watch Out, this thriller is slow to warm up and odd at first as the protagonist (a man deluded into believing that he is Santa) obsesses over one particular 'good girl' who he spies on with binoculars. The second half is a blast though as Christmas finally arrives and he dons the red suit. There is a dark comedy vibe as he drives his van like a sleigh, has trouble squeezing down chimneys, plus there is a police lineup of Santas! The best sequence though has kids gathering around to protect him from a concerned parent who cannot convince his daughter that Santa is dangerous.

Bonus Challenge: Why the film was banned:
SpoilerShow
A seemingly friendly and loveable Santa Claus shocks onlookers by jamming the back of a toy hammer into the eye socket of street heckler.

Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 6th, 2019, 12:13 pm

...took it upon myself to rewatch Cannibal Holocaust in an attempt for us to collectively check all nasties. Phew, that was tough this time around for some reason. I must be getting soft.
I'll also try to remember to include NSFW on the photos since I saw someone else do this. Apologies if anyone's boss at work was offended... B)

bonus 1. video nasty bonus 2. Image
_____________________________________________________________________________________

4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) Image banned or censored in many countries for graphic violence and atrocious animal killings, most notably Italy where the director fought in court for three years to get it unbanned.
the grand-daddy of them all...NSFWShow
fight the power! aka the running totalShow
1. Fight for Your Life (1977) Image
2. El caníbal (1980) Devil Hunter Image
3. Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 6th, 2019, 12:33 pm

peeptoad wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:13 pm
...took it upon myself to rewatch Cannibal Holocaust in an attempt for us to collectively check all nasties. Phew, that was tough this time around for some reason. I must be getting soft.
I'll also try to remember to include NSFW on the photos since I saw someone else do this. Apologies if anyone's boss at work was offended... B)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) Image banned or censored in many countries for graphic violence and atrocious animal killings, most notably Italy where the director fought in court for three years to get it unbanned.
the grand-daddy of them all...NSFWShow
Thanks for taking one for the team :thumbsup: Honestly I was more bummed about that poor turtle than any of the humans in the movie.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 6th, 2019, 1:00 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:33 pm
Honestly I was more bummed about that poor turtle than any of the humans in the movie.
I completely agree... I'll admit I had to fast forward through that particular scene this time. The turtle has always been the worst part for me. (u)

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 6th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Decided to take another Video Nasty break with some Chinese naturalism.
18. Huo zhe (1994) a.k.a. To Live
Where? China
Why? By portraying a family struggling to survive during a tumultuous era of China, it was perceived to be critical of the Communist government which is a shame really. It's a wonderful, powerful film that deserved better.

19. The Astrologer (1975) a.k.a. Suicide Cult
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Honestly I'm really not sure why this is on the list. It's mostly weird, nonsense conspiracy gibberish dialogue. There's a couple of banal scenes of nudity and a sex ritual scene but it's not really very explicit. There's hardly any violence and nothing I'd consider gory. The only thing I can figure out is that it was banned solely on the title Suicide Cult which makes it sound more intense than it is since I'm guessing the BBFC didn't bother to even watch a bunch of these flicks.

20. L'ultimo cacciatore (1980) a.k.a. The Last Hunter
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: This action war movie from reliable Italian genre director Antonio Margheriti was almost certainly banned for all the over-the-top gore on display. This one was actually pretty fun.
War...hunh...good god y'all...what is it good for?Show
21. Revenge of the Boogeyman (1983) a.k.a. Boogeyman II
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Aside from the crime of literally half the movie re-using death scene footage from the first one, it's got a few really incredibly stupid kill scenes like death by electric toothbrush and death by um... having a ladder bump someone in the ass knocking them onto the tailpipe of a car where they asphyxiate? Yea... really... really... stupid. Also, the director himself was in the movie (it has a Scream 2 or Blair Witch 2-esque plot of Hollywood making a movie about the final girl from the first Boogeyman movie...hence all the flashbacks) being an obnoxious d-bag. While this probably wasn't as boring as The Astrologer, it is definitely overall crappier. Oh, also the opening credits look like they were made by a 5th grader.

22. Terror (1978)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Banned for several scenes of violence. One Psycho-esque scene in particular involving a stabbing in a stairwell had quite a lot of blood splattered all over the walls. I actually dug this one more than a lot of the Video Nasties I've seen lately. It's pretty ridiculous in places but still quite fun with gonzo mood lighting a la Suspiria and a variety of kill scenes and suspense sequences in equal measure (one false scare in particular includes a special cameo from our late friend Chewbacca a.k.a. Peter Mayhew). It's not a masterpiece but it's not boring.
She seems to be in a spot of botherShow
23. The Toy Box (1971)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Banned almost certainly for all the very explicit softcore bordering on hardcore sex scenes and degredation of women as well as bizarre violence (it's got it all!), this film is one of the most WTF movies I've watched so far. The plot involves a guy's dead uncle controlling the fates of a group of party goers, forcing them to perform all manner of depravity in exchange for presents from the "Toy Box"? It's super fucking weird and only gets weirder as it goes to the point where by the end I just couldn't make much sense of it at all.
Even the dead get a chance as sleazy sex in this flickShow
But seriously the last 30 minutes of this movie are so insane, I just couldn't stop mumbling "what the fuck" out loud to myself every few seconds.

Getting the Banned Back TogetherShow
1. Love Camp 7 (1969)
2. L'ultima orgia del III Reich (1977) a.k.a. Gestapo's Last Orgy
3. The Forgotten (1973) a.k.a. Don't Look in the Basement
4. Mondo cannibale (1980) a.k.a. White Cannibal Queen a.k.a. Cannibals
5. Kuhle Wampe oder: Wem gehört die Welt? (1932)
6. Rosso sangue (1981)
7. Les démons (1973)
8. Graduation Day (1981)
9. Des diamants pour l'enfer (1975)
10. Wrong Way (1972)
11. Dawn of the Mummy (1981)
12. Frozen Scream (1975)
13. Lager SSadis Kastrat Kommandantur (1976)
14. Apocalypse domani (1980)
15. Superstition (1982)
16. Grimms Märchen von lüsternen Pärchen (1969)
17. The Aftermath (1982)
19. The Astrologer (1975)
20. L'ultimo cacciatore (1980)
21. Revenge of the Boogeyman (1983)
22. Terror (1978)
23. The Toy Box (1971)

Eva_L

Post by Eva_L » June 6th, 2019, 2:43 pm

I wasn't planning on joining this challenge but I just watched a film that just might qualify. Let me present my case.

This link says the following:
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the making of the film Salt of the Earth, the only movie banned during the McCarthy-era anticommunist witch-hunts in Hollywood.
Now this source affirms that the ban wasn't nation-wide, though the film was widely banned in the U.S for its left-wing perspective.

So if it is approved, then:
1. Salt of the Earth (1954) - (widely) banned in the US

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 6th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Eva_L wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 2:43 pm
I wasn't planning on joining this challenge but I just watched a film that just might qualify. Let me present my case.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the making of the film Salt of the Earth, the only movie banned during the McCarthy-era anticommunist witch-hunts in Hollywood.
Now this source affirms that the ban wasn't nation-wide, though the film was widely banned in the U.S for its left-wing perspective.

Hm.... I suppose I'll allow it.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 6th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Eva_L wrote:

Not only banned, but the people who made it were widely persecuted. If I remember correctly, the female lead was deported.

Anyway, Salt of the Earth is one of the all-time great labor movies.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 7th, 2019, 6:33 am

You are NOT allowed to see my listShow
1. The Boogey Man (1980) [video nasty]
2. Cairo Station (1958)
3. Orgy of the Dead (1965)
4. The Driller Killer (1979) [video nasty]
5. Island of Death (1976) [video nasty]
6. Friday the 13th (1980) [video nasty]
Rewatch (3rd or 4th viewing). Two things to know about this movie: 1) one of my favorite ways to annoy my wife is to follow her and make the "chi chi chi ah ah ah" sound behind her, and 2) my wife has never seen this movie. Tonight we watched it, and when we got to the sound, she exclaimed "Oh THAT'S where you got that from." A little white later, she said, "this is really creepy - every time they play that sound, I think it's you doing it."

Video nasty. Banned for violence. Interestingly, the entire Friday the 13th series is banned in Malaysia for "high-impact cruelty and violence."
If you want Bacon, something's gotta dieShow

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 7th, 2019, 10:22 am

Banned of OutsidersShow
8. Christmas Evil (1980) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

9. Axe / Lisa, Lisa (1974) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to graphic sexual violence involving an underage girl

Described by some as a precursor to I Spit on Your Grave, the plot here has a teenage girl attack three intruders (separately) as they each try to rape her. This is less of an emotional rollercoaster than the 1978 classic though since her pain and suffering is very limited in each case before she strikes back. There is almost something of interest in how she toys with the emotions of the three intruders and tries to set them against one another, but the performances are too muted for proper effect. There are some nifty moments here though (blood splattered across improperly tuned television set).

SpoilerShow
A 15-16 year old girl users a razor blade to slice to back of an older man's neck in the middle of being raped; blood splatters across her face as he collapses at what would have otherwise been a point of a climax.

Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 7th, 2019, 2:23 pm

24. Los violadores (1981) a.k.a. Mad Foxes
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: This movie is basically a series of violent attacks between a sleazy douchebag and a Nazi biker gang. Kicking off with the gang violently raping his barely 18-year-old girlfriend, things escalate into more and more over-the-top violent vengeance including a gruesome scene of a biker getting his dick cut off and shoved into his mouth. The movie is pretty horrible in a way but also I'd say accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, culminating in a hilariously stupid but appropriate ending.

25. Schoolgirls in Chains (1973)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: You can look at the cover and title and guess why this one is on the list. That's right it involves two sicko brothers chaining up and torturing women in their basement. Pretty unpleasant movie all around.

26. Le lac des morts vivants (1981) a.k.a. Zombie Lake
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Actually pretty tame on the violence front. There's a couple scenes of women skinny dipping being attacked by underwater Nazi zombies but there's little on-screen gore. I think this one was probably banned more for the title than anything. It's also almost certainly Jean Rollin's weakest movie I've seen and the worst underwater Nazi zombie movie also (yes, there's more than one).

27. La bestia in calore (1977) a.k.a. The Beast in Heat
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 1: The film is bookended with neanderthal rape scenes (Nazi experiment, guys... of course) but for much of the run time, there's not a lot actually going on on-screen. That is, until about an hour in where it kicks into grand guignol mode with a ludicrously offensive torture sequences that includes but is not limited to: vaginal electrocution, rats eating entrails, whipping and water torture, fingernails being pulled out and capped with another neanderthal rape that includes graphic pubic and clitoris ripping and eating. Deeply, deeply unpleasant. On the positive side, I think this is the last Nazisploitation movie I have on the list... so yay?

28. Visiting Hours (1982)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 2: Well, the violence in this is actually pretty mild for a slasher. It's more the general misogynistic, grim tone I think that triggered the BBFC on this one. Michael Ironside's character just seems to have a seething hatred of women which results in some intense, uncomfortable sequences. As far as the quality of the movie, I'd say it's actually pretty good/well made and effective if you can get past the nastiness of it.

29. Ultimo mondo cannibale (1977) a.k.a. Jungle Holocaust a.k.a. The Last Survivor
Where? UK, Iceland (and heavily edited in a lot of other places)
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: It's a Ruggero Deodato cannibal movie with all the trappings that includes: gruesome murder and cannibal scenes, animal cruelty (that poor alligator...), a generally desperate nasty tone... I don't really enjoy these movies and this one is pretty typical. I will at least give credit to Massimo Foschi for really digging into his role though.

30. Mosquito der Schänder (1977) a.k.a. Bloodlust
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Several very bloody scenes of the main character drinking blood from corpses, decapitation, other corpse-related unpleasantness all amounts to sufficient reason for the BBFC to take umbrage with it. I will say this is a pretty fascinating, bizarre character study though that feels quite unique and worth a watch in comparison to a lot of the dregs on this list.

31. La belva col mitra (1977) a.k.a. Mad Dog Killer
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Probably a combination of the rape and the overall sadistic vibe throughout the film. The actual on-screen violence isn't terribly prevalent but it's probably more excessive than the typical Poliziotteschi.

1. Love Camp 7 (1969)
6. Rosso sangue (1981)
7. Les démons (1973)
8. Graduation Day (1981)
10. Wrong Way (1972)
12. Frozen Scream (1975)
15. Superstition (1982)
17. The Aftermath (1982)
22. Terror (1978)
23. The Toy Box (1971)
29. Ultimo mondo cannibale (1977) a.k.a. Jungle Holocaust

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 7th, 2019, 2:25 pm

5. Suor Omicidi (1979) Killer Nun Image banned in the UK probably for violence and also because Mary Whitehouse deemed it belonging to a "subgenre of violent horror cinema, which 'might' adversely affect human behaviour".
nothing catchy coming to mind here... ouch!Show
4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 7th, 2019, 3:22 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Extra Bonus Challenge: The Video Nasty ListShow
Look forward to seeing our progress here when you find a spare moment to update the OP. :run:
Image Image Image

Eva_L

Post by Eva_L » June 7th, 2019, 4:10 pm

blocho wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Eva_L wrote:

Not only banned, but the people who made it were widely persecuted. If I remember correctly, the female lead was deported.

Anyway, Salt of the Earth is one of the all-time great labor movies.
Yeah I really liked it, and was amazed to learn that so many of the actors weren't professional actors.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm

A question about the Nazi rape movies that a lot of people are watching:

I understand why some people in the broader society want to watch these movies. People are into weird things. But I'm wondering why people in this forum want to watch these movies. Do you guys like Nazi rape movies? Is it about being competitive in this challenge? Is it a higher devotion to flouting the strictures of authorities who try to ban these movies?

No judgments. I'm just really curious.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 7th, 2019, 7:12 pm

blocho wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I understand why some people in the broader society want to watch these movies. People are into weird things. But I'm wondering why people in this forum want to watch these movies. Do you guys like Nazi rape movies? Is it about being competitive in this challenge? Is it a higher devotion to flouting the strictures of authorities who try to ban these movies?

Well, let me take a crack at answering this from my perspective...

No, I don't like Nazi rape movies. It's a bit about participating in the challenge and being a tad competitive. No higher devotion to subverting power structures or anything like that.

For me, it's more about exploring a niche subgenre and seeing how it relates to broader aspects of film. I had zero clue what "video nasties" were before this challenge thread got posted, so that Wikipedia page was super helpful. Cannibal Holocaust is on that list, which makes a lot of sense to me. But so is Friday the 13th, which has no nudity and is nowhere near as violent/graphic, and is not a film that I would have been banned except in EXTREMELY conservative/repressive societies. So as I'm watching some of these "video nasties", I'm learning a bit about the films and why/how they were banned - it's interesting to look this stuff up and read some articles about these films.

And on the broader aspects of film, it's interesting to see how/where some of these films pop up on official lists - like Island of Death is on the TSZDT list, which makes sense. But I'm curious about some of those other official "video nasties." It's also interesting to see and compare films and the reasons they're banned. Yeah, I'll probably watch a nazi rape movie or two this month, but I also just picked up The Ten Commandments from the library (banned in Malaysia for religious content), and will probably watch some films banned for political reasons. It's all a part of the learning process for me.

And just to round this out, no, I don't really like the nazi rape movies (or similar-ish types of films). But what makes them even remotely tolerable is that there's an implicit understanding that what's being shown is bad, and that there will be (or should be) consequences for such horrifying behavior. Movies without that basic humanist perspective are the ones that really scare me.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 7th, 2019, 7:57 pm

blocho wrote:

For me, it's just a kind of OCD completeness kind of thing. I have a goal of watching all the Video Nasties. Give me a checklist like that, and I get super fixated on finishing it. I'm not even really that competitive. I absolutely do not enjoy the Nazisploitation movies at all. They're all pretty much garbage, but I gotta check that box, man.

Having said that, I do enjoy a lot of horror movies though, so watching most Video Nasties for me is not a painful experience except for the Nazi ones and a lot of the cannibal ones which usually throw in some unpleasant live animal murder sequences.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 7th, 2019, 8:09 pm

sol wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:22 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Look forward to seeing our progress here when you find a spare moment to update the OP. :run:
As and ye shall receive! OP has been updated. I had actually planned to yesterday, but my work laptop had some issues with Google Sheets for some reason.

We have collectively watched 58 out of 152 of the Video Nasties! Good progress, gang! On another positive note, I believe we've also watched all of the Nazi movies, so you only have to watch those if you really want to! Hooray!

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » June 7th, 2019, 9:00 pm

1. Der Geteilte Himmel (1964) ("Divided Heaven also found itself banned from time to time throughout the rest of the GDR’s existence, but remains as one of the best films that DEFA ever made." - https://eastgermancinema.com/2011/12/04/divided-heaven/)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 7th, 2019, 10:30 pm

blocho wrote:

Horror and fantasy are my two favorite genres and, regardless of genre, I particularly like films that are either surreal/trippy/mind bending or grim/realistic/visceral or a combination of the two. Some of the video nasty films and their ilk fit this area, but not all are necessarily enjoyable viewing. I don't particularly care for the nazi exploitation films, for example, though I do like some of the cannibal and slasher films on that list.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » June 7th, 2019, 11:33 pm

2. The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) (2011) ("The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) has been banned in the UK by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC)." - https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3234 ... in-the-uk/)

vile incompetent pice of shit. the best scene was the car scene with the actor from the first installment. and the main actor has a suitable face. that's about all I can positively say about this crap. it's far behind the first part, which had some entertaining scenes. somewhere around 1.0 to 1.2/10

I'm watching Part III now, it'll bring me Tim Dirks' Most Controversial Films of All-Time bronze award, but unfortunately this one doesn't seem the have been banned anywhere, so I can't use it for this challenge.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 7th, 2019, 11:56 pm

mathiasa wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 11:33 pm
2. The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) (2011) ("The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) has been banned in the UK by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC)." - https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3234 ... in-the-uk/)

vile incompetent pice of shit. the best scene was the car scene with the actor from the first installment. and the main actor has a suitable face. that's about all I can positively say about this crap. it's far behind the first part, which had some entertaining scenes. somewhere around 1.0 to 1.2/10

I'm watching Part III now, it'll bring me Tim Dirks' Most Controversial Films of All-Time bronze award, but unfortunately this one doesn't seem the have been banned anywhere, so I can't use it for this challenge.
Part 3 is even worse than 2 as well. Have fun with that.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » June 8th, 2019, 12:28 am

Previously watched...Show
1. Shorts [Total time = 63 mins.]
a. Zéro de conduite: Jeunes diables au collège / Zero for Conduct (Vigo, 1933) [44 mins.]
b. Red Hot Mamma (Fleischer, 1934) [7 mins.]
c. Peppa Pig: Mr Skinny Legs (Baker-Astley, 2006) [5 mins.]
d. All This and Rabbit Stew (Avery, 1941) [7 mins.]
2. Triumph des Willens / Triumph of the Will (Riefenstahl, 1935)
Banned in Germany, 1945-70s.
Reason: Pro-Nazi propaganda
Bonus Challenge: Ban reason (Content: Nazi imagery)Show

Any scenes that glorify Nazism and portray Hitler in a positive light qualify (i.e. most of the film), but here's a classic propaganda shot of a mass salute as Hitler approaches a giant Swastika to make his closing speech.
The cinematography of the Nuremberg rallies is astonishing, but the viewer also has to deal with a lot of speeches/rants from various Nazi officials, and parades that go on for what seems like ages. Interesting from a historical perspective, though.

3. The Good Son (Ruben, 1993)
Banned in UK, 1993-4.
Reason: Violent acts comitted by a child
Bonus Challenge: Ban reason (Imitable behaviour, SFW)Show

Any scene of evil Culkin trying to murder people counts, but this is the scene which remained cut even when it was finally released, as the tiny terror drops a dummy off an overpass to cause a car pileup.
This film's release had the bad luck to be coincide with the murder of 3-year-old James Bulger by two 10-year-old boys. That triggered another video nasty scare centered around Child's Play 3, but as this film centres around a murderous child, it got caught up in the panic and was withdrawn for a couple of years. With a script by Ian McEwan and Michael Lehmann (Heathers) directing, this had a lot of potential until Macaulay Culkin's dad started interfering with the production and the director and writer left the project as it started getting dumbed down. The behind-the-scenes drama is a lot more interesting than the film itself, which is a bland 90s psychological thriller, but it does benefit from the child performances. Elijah Wood is excellent, and Culkin is good, though I find his acting too mannered for my taste.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 8th, 2019, 2:15 am

flavo5000 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:09 pm
sol wrote:
flavo5000 wrote:
As and ye shall receive! OP has been updated.
:thumbsup: Thanks -- however either my count is off or yours is because I currently have myself at 9 points. :shrug:
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 8th, 2019, 2:21 am

sol wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 2:15 am
flavo5000 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:09 pm
sol wrote:
As and ye shall receive! OP has been updated.
:thumbsup: Thanks -- however either my count is off or yours is because I currently have myself at 9 points. :shrug:
My bad. Should be fixed now. :facepalm:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 8th, 2019, 2:26 am

blocho wrote:

Do I like Nazi rape movies? I don't know if I have seen enough to judge either way. I know that Salon Kitty and Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS have been termed Nazisploitation films by some and I think both are pretty great movies; the former largely boosted by Dyanne Thorne's zesty performance as a female Dr. Mengele and the latter a lusciously produced Cabaret variant.

The only Nazisploitation that I have seen for the Challenge so far is Love Camp 7 and I certainly didn't hate it. Oh, it's not a great film by any measure with a silly wraparound story and pretty poor performances all round, however, the narrative has its interesting aspects, looking at power abuse and having a Nazi character question the ethical goings-on at the camp. I got a bit of a Salo vibe from the film; that is to say, the most intriguing aspect of the film was the way the Nazis let their power to go to their heads.

That said, like peeps, I am pretty into horror so I'll give almost everything with that sort of label a try. I don't know if I will watch any other Nazisploitation films for the Challenge. They wouldn't be my first preference, but I'm limited by what's available to me from the Video Nasties so list, so I guess it comes down to competitiveness and the fact that I wouldn't mind if I needed to squeeze in a couple more if I ran out of stuff to watch.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 8th, 2019, 2:29 am

flavo5000 wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 2:21 am
My bad. Should be fixed now. :facepalm:
No probs. ;) I wondered if my red #7 messed up your tallying. :unsure: I need to stop choosing which films to watch and when based on numerical titles...
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 8th, 2019, 3:09 am

mathiasa wrote:
Malaysia - you need to look at films banned in Malaysia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... n_Malaysia

Human Centipede III is there... :turned:

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » June 8th, 2019, 9:16 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 3:09 am
mathiasa wrote:
Malaysia - you need to look at films banned in Malaysia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... n_Malaysia

Thx!!!!

3. Tim Dirks' Most Controversial Films of All-Time Human Centipede III (Final Sequence) (2015)

@flavo5000: That seems to be the common verdict - but I find the second part the worst. In III, Laser's constant overacting has some magnetic charm to me, I could watch this guy for a long time (but in better movies). It has Eric Robers in it, a decent actor. It didn't have horrible scenes with pregnant women and it lacked shitty and vacant psychological explanations (protagonist is abused by his mother). And I was able to relate to it on a personal level, because during 2018 I also had a (ileo)stomy like the one prisoner who got shot because of that (as he couldn't get chained into the centipede). :facepalm: :D Of course there was no sense in making the movie. I'm just happy his upcoming Onania Club movie won't be an official so I won't be tempted to watch it. All in all a solid 1.5/10
Last edited by mathiasa on June 9th, 2019, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 8th, 2019, 11:59 am

mathiasa wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 9:16 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 3:09 am
mathiasa wrote:

Thx!!!!

3. Tim Dirks' Most Controversial Films of All-Time (2015)

@flavo5000: That seems to be the common verdict - but I find the second part the worst. In III, Laser's constant overacting has some magnetic charm to me, I could watch this guy for a long time (but in better movies). It has Eric Robers in it, a decent actor. It didn't have horrible scenes with pregnant women and it lacked shitty and vacant psychological explanations (protagonist is abused by his mother). And I was able to relate to it on a personal level, because during 2018 I also had a (ileo)stomy like the one prisoner who got shot because of that (as he couldn't get chained into the centipede). :facepalm: :D Of course there was no sense in making the movie. I'm just happy his upcoming Onania Club movie won't be an official so I won't be tempted to watch it. All in all a solid 1.5/10
Yea, I mean, I didn't think part 3 was as gross as part 2. It just seemed far more stupid, like some kind of horrible alternate reality Laurel & Hardy movie between the Warden and his sidekick. The centipede seemed to be secondary to this relentlessly unfunny routine.

Also I'm assuming you mean to put Human Centipede III instead of the Tim Dirk list as your #3. ;)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm

6. Snuff (1975) Image The marketing was likely genius at the time, but the film is quite poor. There is nothing of note (except some appropriate 70s-style music) until the last 20 minutes or so when the offending activities occur (and these were done to MUCH better effect in Last House on Dead End Street). Truthfully I can't find anything about this film actually being banned (though it was prosecuted and is on the VN list). If it's disallowed that's fine... :shrug:
the finale... that was a protracted wait, yo.Show
4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) Image
5. Suor Omicidi (1979) Killer Nun Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Banned of OutsidersShow
9. Axe / Lisa, Lisa (1974) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

10. Island of Death (1976) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to graphic violence (and bestiality)

The psychology of the protagonists are interesting here as they believe that seducing everyone in sight (including goats!) is not sinful but rather the only way to test virtue, and then the pair resort to religious-themed extremes such as crucifixion to punish those they deem unfit. Shot with extreme high and low camera angles and unsettling close-up fish eye lensing, this is an engrossing if episodic film that is unafraid to push the limits of good taste.

WARNING: Definitely Not Safe for WorkShow
A) After having sexual relations with a young female goat, the male protagonist punishes the goat for its wanton ways by slitting its neck. I kid you not.

B) The same man feels fit to punish a painter who had consensual sexual relations with his female travelling companion by nailing him to the ground in what he terms a crucifixion.

C) Unable to find a naked woman who has chased through his motel, the same man strikes his scythe through a door and manages to impale the lady standing on the other side.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 8th, 2019, 3:36 pm

You are NOT allowed to see my listShow
1. The Boogey Man (1980) [video nasty]
2. Cairo Station (1958)
3. Orgy of the Dead (1965)
4. The Driller Killer (1979) [video nasty]
5. Island of Death (1976) [video nasty]
6. Friday the 13th (1980) [video nasty]
7. The Last House on the Left (1972) [video nasty]
Video Nasty, banned for violence. I found this to be a huge drag for the first 3/4 of it, but was pretty pulled in at the end.

8. The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)
Banned in Malaysia for pervasive sexual humor. And a rewatch - I needed a bit of an antidote after watching my 7 and 10 (I'm too lazy to fix posting order), and this fit the bill.

9. Borat (2006)
Banned in Malaysia for crude humor and politics. Also a rewatch and pretty fun. But also scary with some of the people he met.

10. Dawn of the Dead (1978) [video nasty]
Video Nasty for violence. I liked this a whole lot more than I thought I would - good social commentary with some great characters in there. Pretty solid way to keep my attention.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses to my Nazi rape movie question.

(a sentence I never thought I would write)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 8th, 2019, 10:05 pm

blocho wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Thank you for all the thoughtful responses to my Nazi rape movie question.

(a sentence I never thought I would write)
Seriously... right? :circle:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 9th, 2019, 2:44 am

Banned of OutsidersShow
9. Axe / Lisa, Lisa (1974) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
10. Island of Death (1976) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

11. The Boogey Man (1980) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to graphic violence

The basic idea is not half-bad here with the shards of broken mirror glass causing those who touch them to kill themselves in a variety of creative ways (the most inventive novelty death involves a kiss that impales two teens) but the filmmakers seem unsure of where exactly their story is heading. Is it meant to be a demonic possession tale or something more like the vastly superior Oculus with the mirror influencing human behaviour?

SpoilerShow
Preteen boy viciously stabs his mother's lover who bound and gagged him to a bed in bondage position.

Image --> Image

Young woman stabs herself in the throat with a pair of scissors.

Image --> Image
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 9th, 2019, 2:48 am

32. G.B.H. (1983)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: To be honest, I really don't know why this one is on the Video Nasty list. There's really not much violence in the movie and most of what's there comes at the end. There's one scene that could be maybe a little much for very sensitive people but really, it's very tame. The only thing I could figure is the title of the film (G.B.H. stands for Grievous Body Harm) coupled with the box art of the main character covered in blood is what got it on there. It can't be the movie itself since this dull British crime flick seems to be liek 1/3 upskirt disco dancing, 1/3 the main character showing his sensitive side by making out with his lady through a soft focus lens or walking with her hand-in-hand shirtless through a park while some syrupy 80's pop ballad plays and 1/3 mumbled pointless dialogue that general leads to really boring slow fight scenes.

33. Mansion of the Doomed (1976)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Pretty obvious on this one. The plot revolves around a surgeon who goes crazy trying to restore his daughter's eyesight by scooping out the eyes of others and attempting to transplant them. So yea, lots of eye scooping trauma going on in this one. While it's a little slow in places, it actually has some decent moments as well that put it above some of the bottom tier nasties.
The eyes have itShow
34. Diabel (1972)
Where? Poland
Why? Banned due to its anti-war sentiments, which are buried in this insane fever dream of a movie. I have to wonder if they banned in more while in a state of delirium induced by this film and used the politics as a vague reasoning why they felt compelled to get rid of it.

35. Der Untertan (1951) a.k.a. Man of Straw
Where? West Germany
Why? While celebrated as a triumph in film in communist East Germany, West Germany felt it was communist propaganda intended to, as Der Spiegel (a German news magazine) put it, "raise public opinion in the West against the Federal Republic".

1. Love Camp 7 (1969)
6. Rosso sangue (1981)
7. Les démons (1973)
8. Graduation Day (1981)
10. Wrong Way (1972)
12. Frozen Scream (1975)
15. Superstition (1982)
17. The Aftermath (1982)
22. Terror (1978)
23. The Toy Box (1971)
29. Ultimo mondo cannibale (1977) a.k.a. Jungle Holocaust
32. G.B.H. (1983)
33. Mansion of the Doomed (1976)
34. Diabel (1972)
35. Der Untertan (1951)

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » June 9th, 2019, 4:56 am

Banned in Poland,

13. Ósmy dzien tygodnia (The Eighth Day of the Week, Aleksander Ford, 1958) 10/10 (Banned in Poland - From IMDb: "The record-breaker among Polish films shelved by the government censors. It waited 25 years for its Polish premiere. The reason for that was the pessimistic look at housing problems in 1950s Warsaw."
14. Kobieta samotna (A Woman Alone, Agnieszka Holland,1981-87) 9.5/10 (Wikipedia List - Banned in Poland, "because of the film's social/political criticism")

Video Nasties - Jesús Franco double-bill,

Banned in UK

15. Des diamants pour l'enfer (Women Behind Bars, Jesús Franco,1975) 6.5/10
16. Die Säge des Todes (Bloody Moon, Jesús Franco, 1981) 5/10
Forbidden LinaShow
Lina Romay in 'Des diamants pour l'enfer' Image
SpoilerShow
1. Stríbrný vítr (Silvery Wind, Václav Krska, 1954-56) 10/10
2. Vyssí princip (Higher Principle, Jirí Krejcík, 1960) 10/10
3. Hra o jablko (The Apple Game, Vera Chytilová, 1977) 7.5/10
4. Ja milujem, ty milujes (I Love, You Love, Dusan Hanák, 1980-89) 9/10
5. Night School (Ken Hughes, 1981) 6/10