Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

The Weather Channel

rnilsson19

Re: The Weather Channel

Post by rnilsson19 » February 19th, 2019, 8:41 pm

RBG wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 7:01 pm

view from my desert home this morning. there's another snow shower happening now, it's very granular, like small styrofoam balls :turned:
Quite a view.

Have you been to the top of any of those mountains?

RBG

Post by RBG » February 19th, 2019, 8:45 pm

no but it's part of a wilderness area so totally possible. if i was rich they'd bury the utility lines. but then i couldn't afford to live here :sweat:

according to forest service info, it's very rugged and no trails exist. the highest peak is about 7000 ft. it means a lot to me to live near wild places but i prefer to hike trails lol. yes i'm a wimp. people die out there :$
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » February 19th, 2019, 10:05 pm

RBG wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 8:45 pm
no but it's part of a wilderness area so totally possible. if i was rich they'd bury the utility lines. but then i couldn't afford to live here :sweat:

according to forest service info, it's very rugged and no trails exist. the highest peak is about 7000 ft. it means a lot to me to live near wild places but i prefer to hike trails lol. yes i'm a wimp. people die out there :$
It does seem like one ardous trek. Do you live in a small community or is it a remote house in the middle of the desert?

RBG

Post by RBG » February 19th, 2019, 10:24 pm

it is a small community about ten miles from a bigger town, where i work. i have never lived in a city. there are drawbacks like no decent cinemas and restaurants are limited (although the mexican food is fantastic!) but with internet these things don't matter so much. phone service sucks but i have wifi calling :$ also it's safe enough here i've been gone for 2-3 weeks at a time and left a window open for my cat with no worries.

i've lived at this spot for two years next month
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » February 20th, 2019, 1:19 pm

summer seems to have already started where i live... The drought reports said that we didn't fully recover from last year's drought, and no rain is expected during the rest of february and in early march, with warm temperatures and a lot of sun, which is very unusual for the end of february.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 20th, 2019, 2:23 pm

RBG your place looks pretty sweet... I grew up in and prefer forests, but I love the wilderness no matter the climate and locale. My uncle used to live in the Taos NM area (and for a time on Dennis Hopper's ranch) back in the 60s and 70s and it was a great area; hopefully still is. I'd love to hike Sycamore Canyon in Sedona AZ before I die (as well as some of the mountains I haven't hit in VT and NH).

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » February 20th, 2019, 7:30 pm

RBG wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 10:24 pm
it is a small community about ten miles from a bigger town, where i work. i have never lived in a city. there are drawbacks like no decent cinemas and restaurants are limited (although the mexican food is fantastic!) but with internet these things don't matter so much. phone service sucks but i have wifi calling :$ also it's safe enough here i've been gone for 2-3 weeks at a time and left a window open for my cat with no worries.

i've lived at this spot for two years next month
Cool! I take it you like it there, or do you secretly long for a metropolis?

RBG

Post by RBG » February 20th, 2019, 7:37 pm

i like it here! i'm not big on people. i enjoy birding from my porch though

peeptoad i was in sedona last year. it's gorgeous but kind of crowded. i prefer the chiricahuas where i see more deer than people lol

i feel lucky to live here, there aren't enough wild places left. another winter storm is due tmrw :satstunned:

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 21st, 2019, 11:39 am

RBG wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 7:37 pm
i like it here! i'm not big on people. i enjoy birding from my porch though

peeptoad i was in sedona last year. it's gorgeous but kind of crowded. i prefer the chiricahuas where i see more deer than people lol

i feel lucky to live here, there aren't enough wild places left. another winter storm is due tmrw :satstunned:

Nice! Yeah I bet the Sedona area is mobbed with people these days... siiiigh. I could do with fewer of them as well, esp when hiking.
I've been near those chiricahuas actually just not actually in them. Spent some time traveling through the Southwest when I was younger.
Stay safe in the storm... it was pretty icy and cold when I left for work this morning. Blegh.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 21st, 2019, 12:16 pm

my weather app tells me it will be in the 70s here by next week. :teehee:

sedona being loved to death :'( i want to go to taos but i wonder if it's not much the same these days....
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm

RBG wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:16 pm

sedona being loved to death :'(
It probably is... but it's still beautiful! I need to take at least one more cross country trip before I die. :thumbsup:

RBG

Post by RBG » February 21st, 2019, 9:49 pm

raining here now but it snowed in vegas

and even parts of LA! major major storm. gonna be a mess tmrw :ph43r:

my friends are heading to sedona next week, they wanna see it in the snow
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Minkin

Post by Minkin » February 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am

We're all going to die from climate change aren't we?

It snowed here today, for the first time that anyone can figure. The snowline was 1,500ft today, which means parts of town were hit (the town's elevation ranges from 600 - 3,000 ft; figure that out yourself in metric :P ). So, within 3 months - we had fires burn everything, floods and mudslides wash away the burned areas, and now snow. What a crazy year.

At least (to compete with RBG) our backyard mountains got a nice dusting of snow (not my photo):

RBG

Post by RBG » February 22nd, 2019, 11:56 am

cheers minkin! i was hoping for a snow day but it's raining again now and i doubt that's sufficient to call out :(

this storm even has a name: winter storm quiana :satstunned:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 22nd, 2019, 12:55 pm

Wow, ha ha.... snow in LA. There were snow flurries once when I lived there; want to say it was around 2006-07. I was driving down Westwood Blvd between Olympic and Pico when I noticed it and it was a strange feeling for sure. I also only saw one lightning storm the entire time I lived there (late 90s), but they must be more frequent than snow.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 22nd, 2019, 4:06 pm

My brother is reporting snow in north Tucson now. Flagstaff set a one day record. I came to work but now am wondering if I'll make it home. Power is still on ty jesus
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 22nd, 2019, 5:04 pm

RBG wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:16 pm
i want to go to taos but i wonder if it's not much the same these days....
I haven't been to Taos (driven past on I-25, and had our car 'destroyed' by hail just outside Taos), but I'm under the impression that it's so expensive that only the rich and their trophy homes are left (a bit like Santa Fe).
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

RBG

Post by RBG » February 24th, 2019, 5:24 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 26th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Whats this now
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » March 26th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Forecast sunny and 16c towards the end of the week (spring is here) enough to warm up the fish as I like coarse fishing. :mellow:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 4th, 2019, 9:34 pm

High time someone came out and said it
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/597k ... nd-in-2050
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 5th, 2019, 8:21 am

Armoreska wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:34 pm
High time someone came out and said it
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/597k ... nd-in-2050
Some key consequences from their brochure:
SpoilerShow
by 2030 carbon dioxide levels have reached 437 parts
per million — which is unprecedented in the last 20
million years — and warming reaches 1.6°C.

While sea levels have risen 0.5 metres by 2050, the
increase may be 2–3 metres by 2100, and it is
understood from historical analogues that seas may
eventually rise by more than 25 metres.

2050: Thirty-five percent of the global land area, and 55
percent of the global population, are subject to more
than 20 days a year of lethal heat conditions, beyond
the threshold of human survivability

Food production is inadequate to feed the
global population and food prices skyrocket, as a
consequence of a one-fifth decline in crop yields, a
decline in the nutrition content of food crops, a
catastrophic decline in insect populations,
desertification, monsoon failure and chronic water
shortages, and conditions too hot for human habitation
in significant food-growing regions

Massive nonlinear events in the global
environment give rise to massive nonlinear societal
events. In this scenario, nations around the world
will be overwhelmed by the scale of change and
pernicious challenges, such as pandemic disease.

Armed conflict between nations over resources,
such as the Nile and its tributaries, is likely and
nuclear war is possible. The social consequences
range from increased religious fervor to outright
chaos.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 7th, 2019, 2:18 pm

has anyone used this weather website?
https://www.windy.com
there's like a shitton of features
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 7th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Armoreska wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 2:18 pm
has anyone used this weather website?
https://www.windy.com
nice! thanks for the link...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 8th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Apparently more heat for California coming
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 391330001/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 9th, 2019, 8:23 am

June is looking to be a disappointing dull month Here in Uk

sebby

Post by sebby » June 9th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Armoreska wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 2:19 pm
Apparently more heat for California coming
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 391330001/
Not just Cali. A quarter of the US could have record breaking heat this week. Shit is fucked. One of the best things about living in the PNW used to be the unparalleled beautiful summers. Now they come and I just count down the days until Autumn.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 12th, 2019, 7:37 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... west-coast

Meanwhile EU is very cool
and Ukraine is 33 degrees
Northern India / Pakistan is still at ~46 C
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 28th, 2019, 9:58 am

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 7th, 2019, 7:54 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 84691.html

Alaska the only place in the US to hit record...warmth
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... a/70008741
Overall I've found the North America has been cooling this century compared to the previous century which is another good explanation/reason for all the warming skepticism
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 7th, 2019, 9:52 am

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-45584-3.pdf

This is an important work by Zharkova and others indicating where the climate is going, given the work that has gone into it, it should be taken seriously.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 7th, 2019, 11:54 am

So that means the massive effect on the climate is solar activity, with a cooling minimum cold period coming for many years to be followed by warming period. But it mentions there has been a warming period. No mention of humans having an effect on any of it as far as I can see. We think we are so important but we are as ants compared to the power of the sun.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 17th, 2019, 6:14 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 11:54 am
So that means the massive effect on the climate is solar activity, with a cooling minimum cold period coming for many years to be followed by warming period. But it mentions there has been a warming period. No mention of humans having an effect on any of it as far as I can see. We think we are so important but we are as ants compared to the power of the sun.
Well yes, most definitely the source of the heat is more important than the trap for the heat. But how much variation can sun's temporary changes introduce :think: Maunder minimum only dropped it by average of 1C after 50 years, and then returned. So if the same cooling happens on year 1, it'll just nullify the current warming, and the near future CO2/methane effect will still be greater.

The current warming is caused by humans, its potential is much higher than 1C, and when the minimum ends, the temperatures will bounce back to a high level.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Global_wa ... _the_Earth

At least this new solar minimum is already coming tomorrow, so it's about to be tested.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 17th, 2019, 8:45 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 11:54 am
No mention of humans having an effect on any of it as far as I can see. We think we are so important but we are as ants compared to the power of the sun.
It is mentioned in the last line of the paper. Human-induced factors are outside of the scope of that particular study. So you should not draw any conclusions or make relations between what is presented in the paper and the human influence on climate change.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 17th, 2019, 11:29 am

However we mere mortals are asnothing compared to the power of the sun and it wrong to suppose otherwise. Termites and the oceans are more important or as so .I believe this paper is likely to be correct and i believe there is nothing we do or can do that affects the climate. Even so its not worth debating.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 17th, 2019, 11:48 am

The paper can very well be correct, that is not the issue. It just does not say anything about other influences on climate and therefore is not a complete climate change story/prediction.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 25th, 2019, 4:22 am

Another paper shows no human influence on the climate . It’s beginning to look embarrassing for the climate religion fanatics.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.00165

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 25th, 2019, 5:14 am

"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 25th, 2019, 8:17 am

poor Europe - suffering through yet another one of Cipp's 'cold periods' this summer

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Straka

Post by Straka » July 25th, 2019, 8:52 am

The climate religion fanatics never appear to agree on what is causing the climate change; a few days ago it was solar cycles and now low clouds. But the so-called scientific papers that are pushed forward indeed keep looking more and more embarrassing.