Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1932 (Results), 1930s (Results), 2015 awards (May 23rd)
Challenges: Western, Iran, Cannes
Film of the Week: Ramrod, June nominations (May 24th)

Game of Thrones

max-scl

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by max-scl » May 15th, 2019, 1:35 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 10:44 pm
I agree with flaiky. The idea of Daenerys going full villain is interesting and, like so often said, not without precedent in the previous seasons. But it’s a prime example of how character development this season is rushed to get the character were they need to be for the plot instead of natural character progress. Especially the moment she goes mad makes no sense; she is victorious, looks at the red keep and just snaps? :huh: It would have made sense if she snapped if somehow the fight didn’t go her way and she suffered major (personal) losses again.

The Jaime-Cersei death was very inconsistent with Jaimes development the whole series long. I really thought he was going to kill Cersei, that would have made sense to me.

Cleganebowl was pure fanservice. But cool forgivable fanservice.

But all in all in the way the first the fighting and then the destruction on the ground was displayed, this was the best episode of the season.
Really?? Maybe you just WANTED him to kill Cersei, but I don't see how him killing her would've made more sense. For me the fact that he couldn't "redeem" himself is the whole point.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 15th, 2019, 8:13 am

max-scl wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 1:35 am
Really?? Maybe you just WANTED him to kill Cersei, but I don't see how him killing her would've made more sense. For me the fact that he couldn't "redeem" himself is the whole point.
This, I don't think Jaime killing Cersei was ever on the cards, the other way around maybe.

I also think Dany flipping a switch was the only thing in these last two episodes that WAS given proper development.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » May 20th, 2019, 3:18 am

And with that, it's over. Couldn't have dreamed up a dumber ending if I tried. At least this episode was bad in a way that made it funny at times, which is more entertainment than I got out of the rest of this crushingly disappointing final season. Genuinely some of the worst writing I've ever seen.

The show just got worse and worse after Season 4. It started off so incredibly strong. What an enormous letdown.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 20th, 2019, 4:21 am

It was a great ending. I'm really happy with the final season and the show overall, and while it's no Leftovers, it may have earned a spot in my top 10 TV shows. It's at least unparalleled among blockbuster TV shows.

It makes a lot of sense now why there were originally going to be 7 seasons, and we got the very short 7 + 8 instead. Season 8 essentially consists of two large setpieces (Battle of Winterfell + Sack of King's Landing/Azor Azai) and some setup for them and aftermath. I'm glad we got as much padding as we did - 10 or even 8 episodes definitely would have been unnecessary this season.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 20th, 2019, 5:23 am

Can't wait for the Arya the Explorer film.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 20th, 2019, 7:01 am

I haven't minded this season so far, but the final episode was pretty bad. I do wish this season had been a few episodes longer (I actually thought there was another episode next week and only found out today this was the last one). I'm also annoyed that I've been waiting 7 years for that stupid cow to die and all I get is an off-screen stabbing and then she's carried away to dragon heaven. I wanted to watch her suffer and burn.

I think one of the biggest issues with the last 2 seasons is that everyone seemed to fall head over heels for Daenerys in about 5 seconds of meeting her, despite the fact that she was clearly an evil idiot. Tyrion and Jon wtf dudes. As soon as she met up with all the other main characters the show just seemed to be zoom ahead and it felt like we missed out on a lot of development between characters. I also felt her death and everything afterwards was just wrapped up way too nicely and quickly. Two of the biggest 'powers' of the show, Cersei and Dany, just died and were forgotten within 5 seconds??

I'm just hoping the books cover all that missing ground, I definitely felt like book 3 was rushed in the show even though it took up 2 seasons so god knows how much was left out of the final few.

I'm planning on rewatching the show in a couple of weeks with my boyfriend; he stopped watching around season 4 or something but doesn't know exactly so we'll probably be done in another 7 years lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 20th, 2019, 2:20 pm

flaiky wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 11:41 pm
They need to start using Bran properly though, and quick. His whole (heavily invested in) arc is the only one that's looking pointless right now.
Well, King Bran the Broken isn't exactly what I was asking for, but okay.

I stayed up until 3.30am to watch it live. Then stayed up until 5.30 reading reactions. :satstunned:

I'm definitely disappointed with the resolution to the show. The general endpoint is okay but it's just been so rushed since episode 3, especially compared to the GoT pace we're accustomed to, and there have been numerous LAZY lapses of logic and unanswered questions. I didn't expect it to wrap up perfectly but there were some basic things that could have been executed so much better.

I'm glad and jealous that you enjoyed it 'cats..!

And now our watch has ended (dawww).

The show was amazing for 90% of its existence so I'll still love it and look forward to a full rewatch one day.
Last edited by flaiky on May 20th, 2019, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 20th, 2019, 2:36 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 7:01 am
I'm just hoping the books cover all that missing ground
...if they even get finished :whistling:
Let the ashes fly

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 20th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Decent finale when seen isolated to every rushed plot development this season. Of course this episode has huge problems even when seen in isolation to everything that came before (Dothraki are not seen after that Daenerys speech, who are they following now?). I'm guessing this show will be more painful on a rewatch.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 20th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I liked the finale a lot. It, Bran the Broken as king among others, wasn’t what I expected, but worked for me.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » May 20th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Well, I haven't posted for a while. I felt no motivation to post criticism of a show I used to love. I get the feeling that once the writers got past Martin's book they just went off writing whatever story they felt like, finished off their plots in the Battle of Winterfell, and then had an awkward three-episode rush to move the characters to the endings that Martin had in mind for them. So many plot twists and scenes that should have been epic fell flat because they were arrived at without logic or character development.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 20th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Got to hand it to GoT - only one major death in the final episode, and "everyone lives happily ever after" (with a slight bittersweet taste) - to be fair - subverting expectation - at least if we had judged it by the height of the show.

I actually loved the first 30 minutes or so - intense, slow and intricate - with real stakes - it actually felt very much like the great show GoT used to be. (In fact this season allowed for several slower movements, some more successful than others). One of the aspects I really enjoyed was seeing Jon in some ways almost mirror Ned Stark, especially in the confrontation scene - but obviously with a different outcome. (Sadly it was expected at that point ...).

That the remaining 40-50 minutes was lightweight tieing up storyline, humorism and bleak roses did leave the show going out on a whimper for me. It was not particularly clever nor well-written - but perfectly solid. Well, well, Arya the Explorer spin-off coming next.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 20th, 2019, 11:27 pm

flaiky wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 2:36 pm
mightysparks wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 7:01 am
I'm just hoping the books cover all that missing ground
...if they even get finished :whistling:
Fingers crossed lol.

Ended up watching the first ep with bf last night. Everyone looks so young omg. It felt a lot more stagey compared to later seasons where it feels more like a movie. Already feel more disappointed with the way the white walkers were handled at the end. I forgot how much they were built up at the beginning. And I’ve noticed it in certain light before but my bf sometimes resembles Jon Snow and I didn’t realize how much until I was reminded of his season 1 baby face.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 21st, 2019, 12:18 am

If you see the White Walkers as a metaphor for the destructive force of war, their early dispatching and the ensuing chaos at King's Landing is really a rather clever pivot from metaphor-to-reality IMO.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 21st, 2019, 8:24 am

Is this where we post "How it Should Have Ended" fan-fiction? Or at least "Better endings"?

If so, with minimal edits, granted, leaving a lot of the cutting room floor, they could have had a wonderfully bleak final moment by simply merging episodes 5 and 6, and ending the show after Daenery's speech, the look of dread and inner conflict on Jon's face, and the promise of "liberation".

-

Or, if we let the episode play out, and you really want to solve every plotline, I would have liked to see the council, after a long, emotional negotiation, agree to the execution of Jon and Tyrion to broker peace - the execution mirroring that of Ned Stark - with Sansa and Bran standing behind him, complicit, and Arya watching from afar - before leaving forever.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 21st, 2019, 8:44 am

I for one am glad it didn't end on such a pessimistic and cynical note with either Dany (or even Cersei) on the throne or a back to base one and business as usual. Because that neither the message I like nor the one I think the show wanted to sent out in the end.

For sure the last 30 minutes has the same major flaw, which has been pointed out several time this and previous season, the rushing of plot and character development. But overal I'm contended with the position every character ended up in.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on May 21st, 2019, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 21st, 2019, 8:50 am

this was written in response to Gloede above, Lonewolf beat me to the punch.

considering the constant references and callbacks to S1 in this final season, and GRRM's love of recurring and cyclical elements, it is somewhat surprising it didn't end with Jon being executed. but I guess that just means that the show felt Jon was too important a character in his own right to subjugate him to the symbolic role of Ned stand-in, and therefore reverted him back to his own S1 role. and I guess that does ignore his own death that already occurred as a potential interpretive element.
and all of this just highlights how much the show post-book material, on their own, esp. this final season, crafted the narrative around characters, rather than the large-scale social, political, historical &c.
and re: White Walkers, didn't GRRM confirm that they're an allegory for climate change? I'm not saying they can't also be a metaphor for something else, but I think the show whiffed on a number of big story elements just for the sake of wrapping it up quickly, so the showrunners could fuck off to Star Wars. (which is 100% what happened).
Books 6 & 7 will be 3000 pages each and broken up into at least two books each, which means they'll never be completed/published. remember, books 4 & 5 exist simply because GRRM wanted to timeskip the story +5 years after the War of the Five Kings, but couldn't figure out how to do it, so he's just writing and writing, trying to fill in those five years. (edit: the original construction of the series was to be three, count 'em three, books, with the original book 1 as is (or there-abouts), book 2 being the War of the Five Kings (current ACoK and ASoS), book 3 being a time-skip and probably the various battles/conflicts/wars we've seen the show the last two seasons, but he just keeps writing and filling in little details and adding characters and subplots and new regions of the world and can't stop himself. but that's fine because that's what makes the books enjoyable. it's not a rush to the ending, it's a fully fleshed out world that still operates along an artistic model.
Last edited by funkybusiness on May 21st, 2019, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 21st, 2019, 8:56 am

I guess every editor and publisher in the world learned one major lesson from GRRM about not letting your writer run away wild with the material and writing themselves into a corner. :lol:

Teproc

Post by Teproc » May 21st, 2019, 9:03 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 8:44 am
I for one am glad it didn't end on such a pessimistic and cynical note with either Dany (or even Cersei) on the throne or a back to base one and business as usual. Because that neither the message I like nor the one I think the show wanted to sent out in the end.
Well, it ends with the start of what can only turn out to be an Orwellian surveillance state (Bran can see everything, remember ?), so I don't know about that.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 21st, 2019, 10:48 am

Teproc wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 9:03 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Well, it ends with the start of what can only turn out to be an Orwellian surveillance state (Bran can see everything, remember ?), so I don't know about that.
Never thought about it that way, guess you're right. And of course it doesn't end completely on a it's Rainbows, butterflies and singing about peace holding hands. Since to me it's pretty clear that Sansa move for independence for the North, while maybe not this generation, will lead to war again in the future.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 21st, 2019, 1:40 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
I'm not gonna judge the show for going another route and pushing their own message, but the show I was watching really didn't feel like a LOTR adventure with long bittersweet happily ever-afters. Though I generally prefer endings to either be a punch in the stomach, or leave room for thought, wonder, questioning, etc. so I'll acknowledge that I likely have a slight bias against clean happy endings (though this one did not really feel earned).

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 21st, 2019, 1:41 pm

That said:

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » May 21st, 2019, 11:14 pm

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way some storylines ended - in fact, I think a "bittersweet" ending suits Game of Thrones just fine - it's the way we got there that is just unbelievable. Nothing felt earned. Hell, nothing felt reasonable!

- Jon's parentage, the biggest revelation of the series, ultimately amounted to nothing besides...what, getting Varys killed (which, by the way, was just as dumb as the way they wrote out Baelish - the two masterminds of the series suddenly reduced to morons because the writers didn't know what to do with them)? Furthering Daenerys going nuts? Uh...
- Daenerys' descent into madness was incredibly rushed and contrived. This is being built up much, much better in the books.
- Are you seriously telling me the Unsullied and Dothraki just locked Jon up in a cell after he killed Daenerys?
- How on earth does Bran becoming King make any sense? I thought Cersei suddenly being in charge after committing an unheard of act of terrorism despite having literally no one on her side except Qyburn was ridiculous, but this may be even more nonsensical. Tyrion's speech was embarrassing and completely illogical. And does no one else care the North is being granted independence? Did the Ironborn forget they were promised the same thing? Why are people like Brienne getting a say in any of this? It's like the 25 main characters have been the only people in Westeros for the last two seasons. This world used to feel so lived in, now it's comically empty.
- Bronn's the Lord of Highgarden? What the fuck?
- Remember when the dialogue used to be good?

I could go on and on, and that's not even getting into the insanity we were treated to prior to the finale, like the insultingly stupid way they ended Jaime's story. I used to love this show. Season 1 is incredible, one of the most impressive and daring adaptations ever made. Seasons 2-4 are really entertaining. But man...the final season was absolutely terrible, IMO. Comparing it to bad fan fiction feels unfair, because at least writers of bad fan fiction come across like they care.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 21st, 2019, 11:50 pm

Yea, I'm pretty happy with the way most of the storylines ended (Bran getting the throne though... uhhh) and I always expected a 'happy' ending, but nothing felt earned at all. Agree with most points from RedHawk, except I don't think Daenery's descent into madness was rushed, it's been happening for 8 seasons; it's just that the show seemed to be on her side for most of it, and suddenly seemed to turn against her. And yea Tyrion's speech was stupid, I don't know why anyone agreed with anything he was saying.

I watched S1E2 last night and it's crazy how far away it all feels. I forgot Daenerys was ever normal, but already she's like 'this gross monstrous guy is raping me every night, HOW DO I MAKE HIM HAPPY'. WTF. Already want her to die. Her brother was always the more interesting of the two, but she basically turns out to be just as arrogant and douchey as he was. And Eddard is all like 'I'll tell you about your mother next time we see each other' to Jon as he goes off to the Night's Watch and even though I'd read too many (accurate) theories on his mother by the time it was revealed, it really was just washed over and like oh yea btw... Also forgot how irritating Catelyn was.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am

This may just be bad writing, but Bran is essentially revealed to be the main bad guy, and the winner of the Game of Thrones by his own design:

1. He knew everything that was going to happen, but gave no warnings of any events.
2. He actively planted seeds to ensure the secret of Jon would be revealed, and push Daenerys to the edge, knowing full well that hundreds of thousands of people would die.

However, this could of course, and is likely still to be read as him simply accepting fate and placing himself outside of the events themselves.

However, there is a piece of plotting that does hurt this:

1. He consistently says he is not Bran
2. He consistently says he does not "want" anymore
3. He consistently says he is not a ruler
4. When Tyrion first suggests Bran he makes it clear that "But I do not want it" (strange considering "want" should not be part of his logic at this point)

However, when asked if he accepts, he says:

What would be the purpose of him protesting the decision - or playing humble - when he specifically knew this was happening and came to see it happen?

And how come he consistently claims to not be "Bran", yet as soon as he is pronounced "Bran the Broken" seems to bask in the glory as people say "All Hail Bran the Broken", and as he himself says - he is sure their chanting of his praises will get better.

Bran essentially played everyone to become king. He knew everything that was going to happen, and carefully planted seeds and witheld information, costing hundreds of thousands of lives for his own benefit.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 22nd, 2019, 9:59 am

Btw, did anyone else enjoy how Arya training to be a face-shifting assassin for 2+ seasons had zero impact on any of the story, not this season, nor last season, and was never used again after she killed Walder Frey?

She never even attempted using it when going after Cersei - she just rode in as herself. We essentially had years of plotting giving her a "superpower", for no reason what so ever.

Similarly, the other built up Stark super power, warging, had zero relevance on the final two seasons - with the slight exception of Bran seeing a few things courtesy of Ravens.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:31 pm

About Bran becoming king making sense; I feel he is supposed to be the compromise choice, the one choice all faction can live with, nobody is real for but also nobody is really against. I think that’s why Tyrion nominates him and not another like Snow, who he probably thinks would make a better king (not my shared opinion) but would lead to war with the unsullied and dortrahki or even Sansa, which would be the more obvious Stark descendant to chose in leading abilities but also more divisive.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:39 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 9:59 am
Btw, did anyone else enjoy how Arya training to be a face-shifting assassin for 2+ seasons had zero impact on any of the story, not this season, nor last season, and was never used again after she killed Walder Frey?

She never even attempted using it when going after Cersei - she just rode in as herself. We essentially had years of plotting giving her a "superpower", for no reason what so ever.

That’s one of the major wasted plot lines in the series indeed. But I felt the writers never really knew what to do with that story line, which came especially apparent when they had her renounce her teachings cause the writers realized they were destroying what made her the most beloved character. (I don’t know we’re she is in the book, but my guess is that in the books she’s not in training yet or just started.)

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 22nd, 2019, 1:50 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 9:59 am

Similarly, the other built up Stark super power, warging, had zero relevance on the final two seasons - with the slight exception of Bran seeing a few things courtesy of Ravens.
Yeah this is what I was hinting at when I said Arya hadn't completed her arc. It seems insane to put us through the Faceless Men storyline and not have it impact the plot in a major way. I was convinced that she and her power would be important to the ending, most likely by killing Cersei. Even in the last episode I was holding out hope for it (she could have killed Grey Worm, for example, then used his face to free Jon rather than have GW absurdly give up and sail away) but...nope, nada. So strange. I already said the same about Bran, yep, it's just as weird. The final episode did kind of make use of his power but in a very strange way, as you wrote above. It raised questions about how intentionally he manipulated the situation to become king (that "Why do you think I came this far?" line was hilarious - oh Bran you cheeky fucker!) I think this is an interesting idea but the show didn't really commit to it, at all, so I wonder if it was even intentional.

There's actually a theory floating around that suggests Bran died in "Hold the Door" and his body was inhabited by the Three Eyed Raven, the idea being the the 3ER is a Twin Peaks Bob-style malicious demon who hides in humans to achieve his evil goals. The fact that Bran did fuck-all to help the characters in their most important battles definitely supports this idea, because there was no suggestion that he was dark or even remotely ambitious before then. Again, I like the concept, it's wonderfully twisted, and I wouldn't be surprised if the books take that direction (not that I've read them, but it seems quite GRRM-esque?). I think I'm going to headcanon it, even if the execution in the show is lacklustre.
mightysparks wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:50 pm
except I don't think Daenery's descent into madness was rushed, it's been happening for 8 seasons; it's just that the show seemed to be on her side for most of it, and suddenly seemed to turn against her.
There was precedent for her being ruthlessly ambitious, and it had become increasingly apparent ever since she arrived in Westeros, but the final dramatic switch felt too sudden and the way she was speaking in the finale didn't sound like the Danaerys we've been watching the whole time. I needed more build-up for her to get to that loony level. And even if it had developed perfectly up to episode 5, everything from there on was definitely rushed. Varys's scheming, Dany's final switch, Tyrion denouncing her, Dany ruling as a Mad Queen, Jon deciding to murder her, the fallout from her death: all could and should have been spread over a few more episodes. It's really juicy and important stuff. I think you agree with this point but, yeah. It's frustrating and disappointing.
Let the ashes fly

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 22nd, 2019, 2:17 pm

Finishing the show with a longer plot arc about the Mad Queen would have been incredible as it would have brought back the chamber play politics, compromises and allegiances that made the show incredible to begin with - and with several characters gone they could have focused on the characters that mattered and ensured we cared again.

(One or even two episodes dealing with the fall-out of the battle, executions, the reaction of the people, Dany's further plans, Sansa potentially betraying them - or even Arya attempting to assassinate Dany (possibly succeeding or possibly even facing off with Jon).

I agree with both you and Mighty re: Development. Daenerys was clearly set up to become an anti-hero/bad guy from the very beginning, and we have seen her become more and more ruthless - but deciding to just kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people after you win the war - and her moment of deciding this - just was not earned in any way. This is one of the things that could have been set up with just minor alterations in the story - having her other Dragon killed this battle instead of last (perhaps seeing him dying and being attacked by civilians), or just something as corny as inserting a scene where she states that King's Landing is irredeemable/everyone is complicit, etc. they even came slightly close in the heating discussion on strategy with Jon/Tyrion.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 22nd, 2019, 2:33 pm

Totally agree with your last paragraph. I do feel her final speech about liberating the whole world was completely in line with her character before she went bunkers.

I don’t agree she was set-up as the bad guy from the beginning. But that yes the potential has always been there, but that in different circumstances with better anger management she also could have become a great queen. I think that what made her an interesting character.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 22nd, 2019, 2:49 pm

Idk I’m up to s1e4 and already she is starting to become a power hungry evil little cow. I always despised her, and found her character to be one of the weakest, and rewatching it is certainly cementing that. Actually, she was only ‘innocent’ and nice for less than 2 episodes, so I guess her descent into being the mad villain was pretty rushed.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » May 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:50 pm
Her brother was always the more interesting of the two
The guy who played Viserys was definitely one of the best actors on the show.

In response to Gloede's thoughts on Bran...it's just bad writing. As with Arya, his characterization is all over the place, as it solely depends on what the writers need him to do. It's incredibly inconsistent, goofy, and - quite frankly - the exact opposite of what drew a lot of people to Game of Thrones in the first place. The story playing out always felt like a natural consequence of the character's choices and actions in the first 3-4 seasons. In Season 8, everything was a clumsy farce.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 23rd, 2019, 7:39 pm

The finale has by far the lowest rating of all GoT episodes on both Reddit (5.5/10) and IMDb (4.3/10), and is very nearly the lowest on Rotten Tomatoes (49%, just below The Bells).

Such a shame.

As a standalone episode I wouldn't call it the worst (IMO that would probably be Beyond the Wall), but considering how important it is to the series I can understand why it is judged so harshly.

--

Who would you all put as your 10 favourite characters? Mine are ranked purely on how much I enjoy watching them, which is some sort of mixture of how entertaining they are, how much depth they have, and how well acted they are:

Tyrion
Cersei
Brienne
Joffrey (evil fucker, but such a good evil fucker)
Arya
The Hound
Jaime
Bronn (bit of a random pick, but I just love his scenes)
Tywin
Ramsay (see Joff)
HM: Theon, Sam, Varys, Ned, Catelyn, Jon, Olenna, Margaery, Robert, Davos, Shae, Ygritte, Pod

The only characters that actively annoyed me, and I never really cared what happened with them, were Euron, the High Sparrow, Littlefinger, Jorah, and of course the bloody Sand Snakes...and late era Bran. That's a really good for such a huge cast list. The characters on the show were great.
Let the ashes fly

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 23rd, 2019, 9:47 pm

Don’t have an up to date favourite character list so this is off the top of my head:

Arya
The Hound
Jaqen
Joffrey
Tyrion
Jaime
Bronn
Brienne
Cersei
Jon

My opinions about Jon and Cersei changed the most. I really liked Jon at the beginning but by the end he was an idiot. Cersei I hated and not for being evil I just thought her character was bad and boring and badly acted but changed my mind. Joffrey is one of the best written characters with a great actor and amazingly hate-able. I think he’s the best villain of the series despite being maybe not as hugely ‘evil’ as some others, but if he’d the ability and time to be, he would’ve out evilled them. I also started to like Sansa in the books but in the show she still sucks. And I thought Ramsay was one of the lamest characters on the show but I have a hard time seeing that actor in anything that isn’t the first couple seasons of Misfits.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 23rd, 2019, 10:45 pm

Margaery
Ygritte
Olenna
Tywin
Tormund
The Hound
Pre-High Sparrow Cersei
Catelyn
Pre-Essos Tyrion
Pre-S8 Varys

HM: Karsi

Don't really care to join the discussion on whether Daenerys' turn was earned, but I do wish Jorah had lived to see that, his reaction would have been the most interesting of all.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » May 23rd, 2019, 11:12 pm

RedHawk10 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:14 pm
He's not just Lord of Highgarden, he's Lord Paramount of The Reach (the most populous and fertile kingdom) AND Master of Coin. He's literally the most powerful person in Westeros after King Bran. I guess Tyrion was happy to give this position to him in return for Bronn not shooting him with a crossbow, and Bran and all the Lords of The Reach went along with it. Add it to the pile of things that make no logical sense. It would have been a neater end to his arc if he'd been assassinated himself by another sellsword.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » Yesterday, 9:11 am

ChrisReynolds wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 11:12 pm
RedHawk10 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:14 pm
He's not just Lord of Highgarden, he's Lord Paramount of The Reach (the most populous and fertile kingdom) AND Master of Coin. He's literally the most powerful person in Westeros after King Bran. I guess Tyrion was happy to give this position to him in return for Bronn not shooting him with a crossbow, and Bran and all the Lords of The Reach went along with it. Add it to the pile of things that make no logical sense. It would have been a neater end to his arc if he'd been assassinated himself by another sellsword.
He's probably the biggest winner of everybody compared from where he started, maybe beside Bran.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Today, 4:06 am

Rewatching the show makes me really miss it, and realize just how terrible everything about it was at the end. Season 1 is great. Everything the characters do and say matters and it’s all slowly building to something. There are so many little subtleties and the world feels so alive. And I’m more sad about the death of Arya’s plot arc because everything about her character is exciting until she killed the night king, but the whole faceless man thing ended up being for nothing. I’m watching every character beginning their arcs knowing that almost none of them end in a satisfying way. But goddamn I hate Daenerys so much. How anyone kept liking her after the whole thing with Viserys is beyond me. Hypocritical arrogant piece of trash. Rargh.

My boyfriend says he doesn’t hate any of the characters (after I was whinging about Dany for the millionth time lol, every time her subplot is on screen I’m just sighing and scoffing in disgust), but he doesn’t hate anything. He says Jon is his favourite and he also likes Joffrey as a villain.