Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Results)
Polls: Children (Results), 1932 (Closed?), 1989 awards (Apr 22nd), Directed by women (Apr 23rd), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: DtC noms, Aus-NZ-Oceania, 1940s
World Cup: Final (Complete)
Film of the Week: Panique, May nominations (Apr 26th)

Bauhaus Inspired Films

PirateJenny

Bauhaus Inspired Films

Post by PirateJenny » April 15th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Just watched Eden and After by Robbe-Grillet and loved the Mondrian style in the first half. So I decided to line up The Black Cat by Ulmer to watch this evening for similar Bauhaus styled sets.

Can anyone recommend films with similar Bauhuas style architecture. I'm thinking there must be something in Fassbinder's catalogue. I think in World on a Wire it's more postmodern, which is apparently the origin of the term postmodern, as a reaction to the utilitarianism of Bauhaus.

And as an a-side any times Mondrian appears in films. I can think of a short stopp motion film called The Box Man based on the Abe story.

Thanks. :mellow:

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 15th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I was gunna make a similar thread but about Art Deco^^

I'm not really knowledgeable about architecture, but with Bauhaus I'm reminded of Jacques Tati's world, in particular Playtime (1967) and Mon Oncle (1958).
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 15th, 2019, 4:32 pm

I have just the movie for you, though unfortunately it's not publicly available. A friend of mine is a video artist who made a short called "Gropius Memory Palace." Here's my friend's description of his movie:
Gropius Memory Palace is a portrait of the Fagus Factory in Alfeld, Germany, one of the earliest designs of Bauhaus architect Walter Gropius. The Fagus Factory opened in 1913 and remains in operation, continuing to make shoe lasts (wooden or plastic molds used in constructing shoes). It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site and museum.

The film invites viewers to participate in a guided meditation exercise in which they construct a “memory palace” from the rooms of Walter Gropius’s iconic factory. This ancient technique engages a specific architectural setting to store new memories, or perhaps reformat old ones. In this case, a viewer uses the Fagus Factory as a setting to explore images related to work. Blurring the lines between a therapeutic tool and architecture film, the project seeks to soothe anxieties around technology’s effects on the body and the workplace, and explores the relationship between memory and architecture.
It played last fall at the New York Film Festival, where I saw it for the first time. It's quite an experience. A couple of links for people who have further interest:

https://www.benthorpbrown.com/Gropius-Memory-Palace
https://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2018/films ... ry-palace/

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » April 15th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 3:55 pm
I was gunna make a similar thread but about Art Deco^^

I'm not really knowledgeable about architecture, but with Bauhaus I'm reminded of Jacques Tati's world, in particular Playtime (1967) and Mon Oncle (1958).
I was thinking of Metroplis when I made the thread but I guess that's more Art Deco, and a lot of early Hollywood. I'd never thought about Tati in that way before but it seems to fit.

That looks great @blocho shame it will be difficult to see.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » April 16th, 2019, 3:12 pm

This is brilliant. Thanks!

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » April 16th, 2019, 3:15 pm

A still I found from a 'lost' Austrian film Die Vom 17er Haus 1932.