Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

Strange things you've found on the internet

flaiky

Re: Strange things you've found on the internet

Post by flaiky » December 12th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Armoreska wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Is that somehow bad that Australia hasn't wiped out its nature yet? It's Asia/Africa countries that should curb its population growth. The more the pop density, the poorer each citizen.
Well, that's really not true. The four densest states are wealthy Monaco, Macao, Singapore and Hong Kong, and "Among 88 countries/territories having population of over 10 million, Bangladesh (1278) is most densely populated followed by Taiwan (669), Republic of Korea (526), Rwanda (507) and Netherlands (507)". Only Rwanda is in the bottom half of the world's poorest countries.

I won't belabour the point, but there's absolutely no way Australia or Canada, even just focussing on "small" hospitable areas, would be anywhere close to wiping out nature if they increased their populations. Even the "populated" areas of eastern Australian and southern Canadian generally only have 5-20 people per square km, it seems. We're talking about enormous amounts of land. England is pretty red on that density map, yet you can drive along the motorway for ages seeing nothing but open land and occasional villages. So yeah, not buying it I'm afraid. :whistling:
Last edited by flaiky on December 12th, 2018, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

fori

Post by fori » December 12th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Let’s be honest, the nature is already gone due to agriculture. I find the figures in the hundreds of millions you cite hard to believe (where did those quotes come from?) as such a broad analysis will often miss the finer issues, but the simple truth is this: if you think it’s an issue and resources are being under-utilised, then you start a town adjacent to Tamworth. The low population density exists for reasons.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 13th, 2018, 2:04 am

Regarding geography, what I find most interesting is population change of various cities. I think Pula, Croatia is the champion of the Balkans, since that town had more people 1000 years ago than today (65k to 62k).

Are there any similar extreme cases in your countries?

Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi » December 13th, 2018, 4:03 am

Mario Gaborović wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 2:04 am
Regarding geography, what I find most interesting is population change of various cities. I think Pula, Croatia is the champion of the Balkans, since that town had more people 1000 years ago than today (65k to 62k).

Córdoba, Spain comes to mind as a similar example. According to Wikipedia:

"During the apogee of the caliphate (1000 AD), Córdoba had a population of about 400,000 inhabitants, with estimates ranging from 100,000 to an unlikely 1,000,000."

Its population in 2017 was 325 916, so if we take the best estimate from 1000 years ago there's a considerable population decline there, despite still being a healthy, vibrant city today.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 13th, 2018, 4:44 am

Mario Gaborović wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 2:04 am

A smaller decline...but over a much shorter span of time, and unrelated to war or any major natural disasters, famines, plagues, etc - Detroit, MI had a population of close to 2 million in the late 40s-early 50s and has dropped by 2/3 in 70 years to approximately 673,000 today. From the 4th largest to the 23rd largest city in the country.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 13th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Yeah Detroit and Cordoba... But I think Gary, IN is the king of dwindling population as 178.320 lived in 1960 while today's estimates are around 75,000.

In the next census, Bulgaria will be the only country in the world that had more people in 1950 than today. At the same time, the population of United Arab Emirates grew by 180%.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 13th, 2018, 2:38 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » December 13th, 2018, 10:38 pm

It says here that the population of Beihai is expected to grow more than 10% per year on average between 2006 and 2020. Jericho, on the other hand, had 1,000-2,000 inhabitants in 7000 BC according to this page, and this number had increased to 18,346 by 2007. That means a growth of two persons per year on average. tehe I'm sure there are even more extreme examples of slow population growth to be found. Jericho was once one of the biggest cities in the world though, so that's what makes it special. Apparently it's currently the lowest city in the world.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 15th, 2018, 10:21 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 15th, 2018, 10:57 pm

I just realized that Chernobyl has a fairly unfortunate name. It translates as "black past" hmm. Although its actual origin is a plant called wormwood in English (byl also means stalk).

https://unusualplaces.org/witness-the-p ... ely-green/
https://unusualplaces.org/the-doorway-railway-of-hanoi/
https://unusualplaces.org/aerial-illusi ... us-island/
https://unusualplaces.org/setenil-de-las-bodegas/
and this headspinning shot from Machu Picchu
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Armoreska on December 16th, 2018, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

RBG

Post by RBG » December 15th, 2018, 11:04 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 16th, 2018, 9:00 am

Not the greatest of views though
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 16th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Thought I've seen it all, but then found out about this:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... pus+on+ice
Think I've hit the bottom
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 9th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Employed animals! (Instead of enslaved as common)

(warning: Russia Today)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

RBG

Post by RBG » January 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm

here in our beautiful state a woman who's been in coma for more than ten years had a baby at her care center. police are collecting dna from all the men working there. the director has resigned

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/us/arizo ... index.html

the baby is healthy and being cared for by family members. i hope they catch the asshole :yucky:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 9th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Yeah, that makes you wonder just how often that happens... what a miserable person who did that.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » January 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Yeah, that makes you wonder just how often that happens... what a miserable person who did that.
Maybe they got the idea from a Quentin Tarantino movie (Kill Bill). Often wonder what negative impacts the movies have.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 9th, 2019, 7:01 pm

RBG wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm
here in our beautiful state a woman who's been in coma for more than ten years had a baby at her care center. police are collecting dna from all the men working there. the director has resigned

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/us/arizo ... index.html

the baby is healthy and being cared for by family members. i hope they catch the asshole :yucky:
Maaaaaaan, that is incredibly icky and disturbing. Sick fucks... :(
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 9th, 2019, 7:02 pm

On a lighter note...

This guy was apparently licking this doorbell for THREE HOURS! :lol:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 9th, 2019, 8:24 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
Maybe they got the idea from a Quentin Tarantino movie (Kill Bill). Often wonder what negative impacts the movies have.
I had that same thought... :satstunned:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 10th, 2019, 10:00 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
Often wonder what negative impacts the movies have.
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 7:02 pm
On a lighter note...

This guy was apparently licking this doorbell for THREE HOURS! :lol:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 10th, 2019, 11:14 pm

That might be the best possible response to the doorbell licker, Lammetje

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 12th, 2019, 10:54 pm

How common is it to have more than one drugstore inside 100m in the rest of the world? Three? Four?
SpoilerShow

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8229626 ... 312!8i6656
(3 in a row and another one in a building right in front! this is not one of the spots captured above)

*pretty sure there are actually more than listed on the map. actually the 1st image is missing 2 more. (at least?)
**one drugstore on the 2nd image was busted selling prescription drugs recently
***not really a strange thing originally "found on the Internet", this has been puzzling me for years
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

RBG

Post by RBG » January 12th, 2019, 11:23 pm

mexican border towns have whole streets of farmacias -- prices much lower than the US. dentists too

big pharma should pay for the wall :ph43r:

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 12th, 2019, 11:38 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 8:24 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
maxwelldeux wrote:
I had that same thought... :satstunned:
there's a Law and Order episode, probably '90s vintage, classic L&O, none of that spin-off bullshit, about the same sort of situation but, of course, maxed out on fucked up melodrama. Pregnant woman is in a coma from a car crash, loses baby from said car crash, crazy religious parents hire a hospital employee to rape her to get her pregnant again, while she's still in a coma, because "God wanted them to have a grandchild" or something. I think one of the set of grandparents ends up with custody of the baby. Edie Falco is in the episode as a lawyer, iirc.

edit: the episode is called Grief, S8E14, Feb 4 1998.

I don't remember what the exact line is, but I do remember that Sam Waterston, who usually has pretty pithy/sardonic dialogues to end episodes, has an all-time mic-drop endings to any episode of television in it. Almost makes me want to find the episode to see what it was again.
Last edited by funkybusiness on January 12th, 2019, 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 12th, 2019, 11:41 pm

also, "pregnant coma rape" google search brings up a disturbing number of results of stories going back several years.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 12th, 2019, 11:52 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 11:41 pm
also, "pregnant coma rape" google search brings up a disturbing number of results of stories going back several years.
Yeah... that's a phrase I'm searching for in a private window, if at all.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 18th, 2019, 11:00 am

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/0 ... rrest.html

this is kind of hilarious. a rowdy tourist family is terrorizing new zealand. at least they aren't americans tehe

Would that we all could march aggressively through life with the bolshy swagger of an angry, shirtless 9-year-old, unafraid to pull the finger at anyone who got in our way. As one friend confessed to me, watching the bad kid shout at Krista Curnow: “I have never in my life had that sort of confidence.”
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » February 2nd, 2019, 3:40 am

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 2nd, 2019, 7:23 am

Ah, put it out of its misery
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » February 2nd, 2019, 4:34 pm

It makes me want to watch a Cronenberg movie.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 17th, 2019, 7:07 pm

A wikipedia page available in 13 languages, yet English not among them!
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreeinsel
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

After watching Claire Denis' Trouble Every Day with Vincent Gallo, I went down the Gallo rabbit hole and came across his official Vincent Gallo merchandise website, and well, his "Personal Services" page is quite, erm...fascinating: http://www.vgmerchandise.com/store/pages.php?pageid=4

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 22nd, 2019, 2:10 pm

:clap:
He looks like a total creep though
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 22nd, 2019, 2:54 pm

Well yeah, it's Vincent Gallo after all...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 25th, 2019, 6:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » February 28th, 2019, 2:48 pm

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 7th, 2019, 7:16 am

Go big or go home?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 7th, 2019, 1:26 pm

"But his pursuit of a bigger penis ultimately led to his demise."

Epitaph material right there.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd