Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

Music Lounge

Lakigigar

Re: Music Lounge

Post by Lakigigar » January 7th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I started listening to The Rolling Stones for the first time in my life... I already recognized Paint It, Black and I really liked that one. And I already knew You Can't Always Get What You Want from Trump's Victory speech. I like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and Sympathy for the Devil too. Start Me Up is good too.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Perhaps not a popular opinion, but I consider the Stones rather overrated as a band. I do like couple of their songs though, e.g. Paint It, Black, She's A Rainbow.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm

bal3x wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Perhaps not a popular opinion, but I consider the Stones rather overrated as a band. I do like couple of their songs though, e.g. Paint It, Black, She's A Rainbow.
Well i agree, but it's still a good band. Paint It, Black is a really good song, might even make my top 250 because i immediately recognized the sound of it, and i really liked that as a child, so that was quite a discovery... Never knew it was such an old song... I thought that song was from +-2005 but it's 50 years older. It's a timeless song. Just like 2001: A Space Odyssey could easily have been made yesterday (although the science could have been slightly outdated). That's the challenge of music and film, to survive the test of time, you'll need to anticipate on what will be relevant or stay relevant for like far ahead in the future, like classic themes we always struggled on (like love), or like the themes A Clockwork Orange researches, which is still actual today.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 8th, 2019, 6:04 pm

I don't know what to do with the songs that are guilty pleasure to me, which are obviously not the most qualitative songs for some reason, but which i like or liked in the past. I also noticed that making a top 250 would sometimes cut those as i actually already have a shortlist that exceeds the 250 songs, and doesn't include a lot of songs or more variety in genre.

What i also noticed is that i just have to discover a lot of music yet. LIke yesterday, i discovered The Rolling Stones, and especially Paint It, Black, and i'm also discovering a lot of new genres which i haven't properly explored. I'm afraid a top list would be vastly different in six months time, especially now because of the phase i'm at. It's absolutely not established. I mean lists are dynamic, but they're more stable when i send film lists (mostly because i'm not seeing a lot of films currently), and because what i'm seeing is getting narrower (mostly because i lack time and can't concentrate properly on time), and also because i don't seem to like a lot of arthouse films (which this forum does), although there are exceptions (like i do like 25% of the ones recommended here in top lists, and i don't like mainstream action / adventure films at all. I absolutely don't like the taste of ICM & critics and even less that of the average IMDb user, and i don't like action / comedy and adventure that much).

I made a top 100 for a different forum where they send forum lists and it's vastly different from the top 100 i did sent three years earlier. I'm just checking it. 5 songs are left over (in 2015: 1 -> 91, 9 -> 69, 14 -> 88 38->93, 40 -> 83. ... And maybe i had to include three others (3, 13 and 24 in 2015 that i forgot to include in my 2018 list, but are in my top 250 list now). It's quite embarassing though. It's a list from 26 november 2015 and i forgot a number of songs... like do they even exist, or what is this about? It was the end of my EDM and drum & bass era. It helps me now to revive some of those songs, the best drum & bass songs from that list and some other non-EDM songs that are in that list (although, i don't think most of them are good, but there are some songs in the list that i've always liked, even in my childhood and i might include them at the lower end of my list). The best EDM / drum & bass / house songs are already on my shortlist. There's no need to "revive" a lot of them, as i've completely forgotten them. A lot of the songs in 2015 were also remixes of songs. It's a trash list tbh. I'm embarassed if i see what i've included... and it's only three years ago i made that list. Only five songs held on, and the best one is on place 69 and that's a list i made in november 2018, and i have discovered so much music in the last two months, as i'm entering a new music era... for me personally. But Grimes changed everything for me in early 2016. I think hearing Grimes - Genesis triggered it for me. I first didn't like it (LOL), but i became addicted to it. And this is the story of almost every Grimes song. I first don't like her new style often, and than i start adoring it (like i did with Halfaxa -> Dream Fortress got me in that one, Kill V Maim and recently also We Appreciate Power). You don't like it, and still listen to it more than 100 times in a week. That's the power of Grimes.

1996-2009: i hate music era (and also: i hate film era)
feb 2009- aug 2011: pop era (lady gaga, and that kind of stuff -> i know i started following the hit lists in early 2009 and Lady Gaga - Poker Face was on 1, and no there won't be any Lady Gaga stuff in the top list, don't worry... She even didn't made it in 2015 and it's not even close, but the pop artist i first became a real fan will make an appearance with one song, and i went to a concert of her back than, still the only time i've seen a singer / band live, as my social phobia doesn't allow me to do that right now).
aug 2011- jan/feb 2016 edm/ drum & bass era
jan/feb 2016 - nov 2018: grimes (art pop) / house era
dec 2018 - ... : dream pop / post punk / alt rock era?
.... - .... : classic rock or metal era? who knows.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm
bal3x wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Well i agree, but it's still a good band. Paint It, Black is a really good song, might even make my top 250 because i immediately recognized the sound of it, and i really liked that as a child, so that was quite a discovery... Never knew it was such an old song... I thought that song was from +-2005 but it's 50 years older. It's a timeless song. Just like 2001: A Space Odyssey could easily have been made yesterday (although the science could have been slightly outdated). That's the challenge of music and film, to survive the test of time, you'll need to anticipate on what will be relevant or stay relevant for like far ahead in the future, like classic themes we always struggled on (like love), or like the themes A Clockwork Orange researches, which is still actual today.
Yeah, I guess my "problem" with the Stones is that I am mostly an album guy as opposed to individual songs or singles, they seem to be a very solid band overall especially live, but it's just not my cup of tea so to say.

As to "guilty pleasures" and "trash" there's really no need to be ashamed of any of it - we all love some trash here and there, be it films or music, I don't really see a problem with it as long as it's not just trash that you're watching or listening to :D

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 8th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Please don't leave out your guilty pleasures! I have plenty of them (as some folks around here already know :whistling:) and I included several of them in my personal Top 100. From time to time I enjoy listening to teen pop (such as the Spice Girls and Britney's early work), 90s eurodance, slick R&B ballads and what have you.

I think I started exploring music beyond the contemporary popular stuff when I was in my mid teens. But what really helped me getting to know pop culture from the 20th century was listening to the Billboard Hot 100 most popular songs from each year, starting with the 40s. I listened to those year end lists (1946-1955 contained only 30 songs for each year if I recall correctly, after that it was 100 songs per year) in chronological order. This way I found out when rock & roll became popular, how much of an impact the British Invasion had, when disco music first popped up, etc. When I stopped listening to these lists (I think I quit when I reached the 90s, since the music became significantly worse - I loved the 80s very much and I still do), I had discovered tons of songs and artists I liked, which helped me to explore further.

You are still young, Laki. I can see that you have a wonderful musical journey ahead of you. There's no need to rush things, and there are countless ways to continue your journey after each song or album you listen to. But if you want recommendations, you should of course have a look at my Last.fm profile, since I have the best taste in music ever. :whistling:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 8th, 2019, 10:31 pm

I don’t believe in guilty pleasures; if you love it, you love it. Also a favourites list, even if an all-time list, can only ever represent the person at the time of making it so it doesn’t matter if it changes in a few months, just gotta keep updating it :P

I don’t go through many new songs these days; I only heard 85 or songs last year overall that I liked, but back when I was exploring the 60s as a 13-15 year old it would be more like 80 a month. And films I only like 2-3 a year as well I guess. Ugh being picky.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 10th, 2019, 7:47 pm

http://explr.fm/

You can use the tool to check from what country you most listen music too.

Number of artists:
1. United States - 246
2. United Kingdom - 223
3. France - 79
4. Germany - 50
5. Canada - 45
6. Netherlands - 45
7. Belgium - 34
8. Sweden - 32
9. Australia - 27
10. Jamaica - 20 (lol? i only occassionaly listen to reggae and i have only 67 scrobbles)
11. Japan - 19
12. Norway - 17
13. Italy - 16
14. Russia - 13
15. Poland - 12
16. Iceland - 8
17. Brazil - 8 (weird too)
18. Switzerland - 7
19. Finland - 7
20. Colombia - 6
Lol @Estonia with 5 artists.
And apparently i scrobbled also music from Angola, Uganda, Niger, Cuba, Chile, Venezuela and Peru (which except for Niger i didn't know about). But kind off confused because i have listened to music from Kuwait, Syria (K A R Y Y N - hypnotic as fuck!), Belize and definitely Jordan (Ayah Marar), and it's not listed, partly because i might have listened to it while not using last.fm and partly because the webiste might not recognize them because they're too obscure (although Ayah Marar isn't obscure, but i think it were two songs with Camo & Krooked (Austrian drum & bass group), and with Calvin Harris (the song: thinking about you), so that might make sense.

Number of scrobbles (and artist i listen most too)
1. Canada - 7267 (Grimes)
2. United States - 6992 (Empress Of)
3. France - 6305 (Panda Dub)
4. United Kingdom - 5012 (and it should be less because MBV is not British) / (Cocteau Twins)
5. Belgium - 1886 (Raar)
6. Australia - 1270 (Huxley)
7. Germany - 1014 (Palms Trax)
8. Sweden - 858 (Seba)
9. Spain - 698 (Ordo Funebris)
10. Norway - 442 (SMERZ)
11. Japan - 414 (Soichi Terada)
12. Netherlands - 328 (Fatima Yamaha)
13. Ukraine - 293 (lol - DJ Boring)
14. Iceland - 282 (Bjork)
15. Singapore - 275 (Jasmine Sokko)
16. Russia - 188 (Summer of Haze)
17. South-Korea - 141 (Yaeji)
18. Poland - 139 (Radikal Guru)
19. Italy - 127 (Crookers)
20. Slovakia - 98 (although Ireland should have 101 but there is a MBV error) / (B-Complex)
Turkey, Brazil, Colombia, Finland all have between 70 and 100 scrobbles.
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 10th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Well about Jamaica, there are indeed some mistakes Major Lazer with 15 scrobbles is not Jamaican. Collie Buddz is American / Bermudian. Charlie Chaplin is no musician and no Jamaican (ROFL, I have scrobbled one song Modern Times apparently). I have deleted that one, and for some reason it has The Skatalites twice. What i also don't understand, i don't know about half of those, or didn't knew i've listened to them LOL.

In reality, i've listened to 16 Jamaican music artists, 9 of them only with 1 scrobble (Damian Marley, Ky-ma ni Marley, Stephen Marley, Max Romeo, The Skatalites?, Black Uhuru?, Capleton?, Chezidek?, Israel Vibration). 4 times to Eek-A Mouse and Bob Marley (only four times?). 5 times to Peter Tosh and Scientist, Culture and Cornell Campbell and 8 times to Barrington Levy.

This is so weird.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 11th, 2019, 11:02 am

Jesus christ, i found your RYM account, nimirmenkillen. Do you still enjoy music. You rate almost everything below 1.5??? Like, that's like saying that music should never be made at all.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 11th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Gosh Lakigigar, you don't listen ex-YU music at all :D If you like new wave/punk era there's lots of recs I can give you, since soft communism allowed western cultural influences, unlike in other countries of Eastern Bloc.
If you're into traditional music, I recommend only Macedonian. Else is insult for the ears, mostly.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 11th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Well with your recommendation included (that was too indie / lo-fi for me personally) i have
1 artist for albania: Eugent Bushpepa (lol)
1 artist for Macedonia: Vandal
3 artists for Serbia: Luna, GAN 665+1 and Louis
2 artists for Croatie: Dino Jelusic and Elemental
Never heard of any of those, although Dino Jelusic might be from Junior Eurosong possibly?

Romania: 747, Inna, Akcent and Iris (in reality, this is much higher, because i've listened a lot too Inna and also akcent earlier, i think it's around 200 to 300 scrobbles).
Bulgaria: As I Am (he has one catchy song), D.R.S, Kristian Kostov (also Eurovision), Man of No Ego.

Inna - Hot was one of my favourite songs in 2010 / 2011 / 2012 (so catchy, i must have listened it at least 200 times).

Alexandra Stan also had Mr. Lovebeat but was less fan of that, and Inna had other songs.. Well Romania must be over 300 scrobbles by far.
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 11th, 2019, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 11th, 2019, 9:24 pm

You're on the totally wrong path :down: However, maybe we have different taste in music after all.

Try these instead. But tell me should I continue or not.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 11th, 2019, 9:24 pm

That was my music taste of a long time ago. Although listening it again is nostalghia. But don't expect me to listen to the cure and joy division when i was 12.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 11th, 2019, 10:04 pm

If you listen to Inna, you're on the right path! :D If you want to explore music from former Yugoslavian countries, I recommend Dino Psaras, a Serbian DJ.

Edit: crap, I just did a fact check on myself; Dino Psaras is from the UK and has Greek roots. I don't know how I ever got the idea that he's Serbian.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 12th, 2019, 12:35 am

One side of my family is Macedonian and they used to play traditional music all the time and it was horrible. I was much happier when they switched to 50s and 60s rock and pop :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 12th, 2019, 4:58 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 12:35 am
One side of my family is Macedonian and they used to play traditional music all the time and it was horrible. I was much happier when they switched to 50s and 60s rock and pop :P
It does depend on environment you grew up in. People raised up in Commonwealth normally do not pay attention of anything created outside of it and/or Japan. They can't relate to it in any way. :P

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 14th, 2019, 10:16 am

Mario Gaborović wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Gosh Lakigigar, you don't listen ex-YU music at all :D If you like new wave/punk era there's lots of recs I can give you, since soft communism allowed western cultural influences, unlike in other countries of Eastern Bloc.
If you're into traditional music, I recommend only Macedonian. Else is insult for the ears, mostly.

Mario, do you have a playlist or a recommendations list for ex-Yugo new wave/punk? I really dig this stuff (I like most of the stuff you post), but cannot get my hands on any albums as I don't really know what to look for or where (there's nothing on Spotify), I found this link here, there's a few bands listed, perhaps I need to explore those: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_ ... via#Legacy

Also found these:
http://www.altvenger.com/yugoslav-post- ... pop-scene/

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Mario, do you have a playlist or a recommendations list for ex-Yugo new wave/punk? I really dig this stuff (I like most of the stuff you post), but cannot get my hands on any albums as I don't really know what to look for or where (there's nothing on Spotify), I found this link here, there's a few bands listed, perhaps I need to explore those: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_ ... via#Legacy

Also found these:
http://www.altvenger.com/yugoslav-post- ... pop-scene/
Fortunately, many albums are already on YT in their entirety or partially (song by song). I'll look up for the rest elsewhere and post 'em here eventually.

The most important album of the Belgrade scene was Paket aranžman (Package Deal). It meant to be a springboard for three bands who each sounded different.
SpoilerShow
These are their best solo works:
Charlot the Acrobat
SpoilerShow
Brighter or Dumber a Man Gets When... (1981):
Electric Orgasm
SpoilerShow
Electric Orgasm (1981) playlist:
Leaves Cover Lisbon (1982) playlist:
Idols
SpoilerShow
VIS Idols (EP) (1981) playlist:
The Defense and Last Days (1982):
- Šarlo akrobata disbanded immediately to form EKV and Disciplina kičme
- Idoli made another, pretty lame album and then disbanded
- Električni orgazam is still alive and kicking today; after new wave beginnings, in the mid-80s they turned into poor man's Rolling Stones and kept making mediocre material. However, their first album in that vein was great and it's my guilty pleasure even today: Distorzija (1986) which sounds like this:
SpoilerShow
(if you like The Stones, man) :rolleyes:

These people often acted in/composed music for some of our movies, most notably Dečko koji obećava, Davitelj protiv davitelja and Kako je propao rokenrol.

Music videos:

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Luna - Unreal Things (1984)
SpoilerShow
La Strada - La Strada (1987)
SpoilerShow
Beijing Duck
SpoilerShow
Shallow Poetry (1980) playlist:
Monotony (1981) playlist:
Grad / The City
SpoilerShow
These are the best of Novi Sad music scene. The last band is unimaginably obscure, I only discovered them a few weeks ago by chance. They lasted less than a year (1981-82) which is a shame considering the quality of their cold wave sound.
Luna/La Strada are two projects of the same man, while Pekinška patka first started as classic '77 punk band, only to shift to Dark Wave on their second (and last) album).

I don't really fancy the Niš music scene, except of course this greatness that you probably listened already:

Kind Isaac
SpoilerShow
We Cry Behind Dark Glasses (1984):

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Haustor / Hallway
SpoilerShow
Haustor drew much influence from experiences of theatre, combining it with ska/reggae (mostly on the second album). Rundek (the frontman) sometimes performed with make-up and staged pantomime. He later moved to Paris. In general, Haustor looks/sounds very French to me.

Other important albums from Zagreb scene:
Dirty Theatre
SpoilerShow
Black and White World (1980):
Azra Just for the sneak peek, there was also a New Romantics act called Dorian Gray...
SpoilerShow
and Boa who sounded very much like Talking Heads:
SpoilerShow

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 14th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 11:02 am
Jesus christ, i found your RYM account, nimirmenkillen. Do you still enjoy music. You rate almost everything below 1.5??? Like, that's like saying that music should never be made at all.
i did lot of drugs when i thought about changing my rating system, says something about it in profile. would be too troublesome to change it now so just going with it even tho its not fair especially for those albums / movies with very few ratings. antipsychotics probably took a toll on me + depression and anxiety. ½ = everything from not my thing to hate it 1 = was kind of worth listening to 1½ = liked it. its hard to rate if most of the songs are ½ on the album and some are 2 or 3, maybe being too harsh because "not worth the time fillers"
been pretty much the same with movies but the last few months ive had several favourites, more so than in past couple of years so dunno how things will go!
also should probably listen to albums while laying on bed with headphones im pretty freaked out about emf right now

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm

@Mario - many thanks, man! Will be checking all of these out! Keep 'em coming, I'm sure there are others on here who enjoy these as well.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 14th, 2019, 4:51 pm

back to the rating thing anyway thought it would be good idea to give stars based on how much i like them giving much more options for
rating ½-5 and 1-10 is too limiting imo little did i know that i would flew too close to sun with drugs, again
at least been recently listening to much more than used to, there have been often months without any music
too bad being on computer and listening to music messes my head these days but an album a day doesnt seem to be too bad, past couple of years it would have been disaster

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm

what stuff do you fellows do while listening to music besides just laying down, computer or housework?

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Split, the second-largest Croatian town, meant next-to-nothing in avant-garde music; Up north however, the music scene of Rijeka flourished through decades till today and gave many interesting acts such as:

Paraf (The Signature), who first started as a '77 classic punk rock (1 album), and then made a shift to avant-garde new wave (2 albums) before disbanding. Here are all the three:
SpoilerShow
And the Day Started Out So Nicely... (1980):

Excursions (1982):

Flags (1984):
Denis & Denis, the synthpop duo:
SpoilerShow
Beware Yourself! (1984) playlist:

The Termites (1978-81) were a classic '77 punk with some synth. The singer often performed with a toilet bowl on his head and threw pillow feathers at the audience. This is their biggest hit and below is their complete material released in 1996 (playlisted):
SpoilerShow

Xenia was a nice power pop band, not as good or important as those above but still deserves a sneak peek:
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on January 14th, 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 14th, 2019, 5:18 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm
what stuff do you fellows do while listening to music besides just laying down, computer or housework?
Riding a bike, driving a car, working in the garden, at work when I'm not teaching (so often behind my laptop), having dinner, playing with my kids, ......
Basically, I try to have music on every moment when I'm not a. watching a movie b. teaching c. sleeping
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Videosex is my favourite act from Slovenia. Their first two albums were great coz that's all I need: cold sound juxtaposed with a passionate female vocal.
SpoilerShow
Videosex (1984) playlist:
Lacrimae cristi (1985):
Borghesia was similar, but much more hermetic:
SpoilerShow
Love Is Colder Than Death (1985):
Some interesting sneak peeks:
Ljubljana Dogs
SpoilerShow
Via Offensive
SpoilerShow
Bulldozer
SpoilerShow
I guess Laibach is already well-known abroad so there is no need to introduce them I guess. Those who like Rammstein should give it a go; I am not much into it.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Most prominent Macedonian bands used to blend the Darkwave/Goth looks and sounds with Orthodox, religious imagery. I'd single out these two:

The Fall of Byzantium never had a release of their own, but you can sneakpeeks some of their songs on YT:
SpoilerShow

Mizar made it however:
SpoilerShow
Mizar (1988):
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on January 14th, 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 14th, 2019, 6:32 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 5:18 pm
nimimerkillinen wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Riding a bike, driving a car, working in the garden, at work when I'm not teaching (so often behind my laptop), having dinner, playing with my kids, ......
Basically, I try to have music on every moment when I'm not a. watching a movie b. teaching c. sleeping
hmm
doesnt give me time to process my inner turmoil and be present with what im doing physically, even walking so i try to not do it. maybe drawing or painting would be good fit but wonder what else besides maybe very light garden work
sometimes i listen in car but usually just silence these days i dont listen music ive heard already much and dont revisit if im not intrigued in some way so my crappy car audio wouldnt do it justice

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 15th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Mario, - thanks for all those links. My favorites so far is Luna and La Strada, excellent stuff! Added those 2 albums to by favorites list already.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 18th, 2019, 6:31 pm

LOL @ "discovering" Muse. :lol:

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 19th, 2019, 12:13 am

bal3x wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Mario, - thanks for all those links. My favorites so far is Luna and La Strada, excellent stuff! Added those 2 albums to by favorites list already.
I think you added La Strada twice, better check that.

I know that not understanding the language could be a barriere, so I tried to recommend those albums that are heavier on music than lyrics.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 20th, 2019, 12:48 am

Mario Gaborović wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 12:13 am
bal3x wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:42 pm
I think you added La Strada twice, better check that.

I know that not understanding the language could be a barriere, so I tried to recommend those albums that are heavier on music than lyrics.
Oops, you're right! Probably I already added it earlier based on your earlier posts - thanks for noticing :)

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » January 22nd, 2019, 10:42 am

This album is fucking amazeballs. Not even kidding.

This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 23rd, 2019, 12:18 am

It's sad but i seem to have lost Kate Bush on the way. She doesn't seem to stick around, and i think The Kick Inside, The Dreaming & Hounds of Love all are too abstract and annoying to hear... It might honestly just not come. I just seem to like three songs, but have lost her when exploring more of her.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » February 1st, 2019, 1:53 am

Radiohead's Kid A reminds me actually so much of Bjork's Vespertine. The atmosphere is so similar. It's so lonely and depressive.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 1st, 2019, 2:30 pm

And of course Autechre released 19 live albums this year. What's next? We have to hurry and stop them before it's too late.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » February 1st, 2019, 11:46 pm

Wow, i immediately felt in love with Amnesiac from Radiohead... It's like Radiohead's Halfaxa, The Age of Adz or Vespertine's. I would rank them as following currently

1. OKC
2. Amnesiac
3. Kid A
4. The Bends
5. In Rainbows

Have to listen to the others.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 6th, 2019, 2:37 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 2:30 pm
And of course Autechre released 19 live albums this year. What's next? We have to hurry and stop them before it's too late.
Just tackled my first one (Portland) and it was a masterpiece. First 25 minutes were the usual sequences, but it's practically all new material after that one.

Makes me question what to do in terms of my lists. Should I listen to all 19 (maybe one per week) and count them all as one entry? If I separate them I'm gonna have like all 19 entries on my AOTY list and a few for my favourite albums list.