Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Documentaries 2019 (Nominations, Jan 26th)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

iCM Forum's Favourite Documentaries 2019 (Nominations, Jan 26th)

#1

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2019, 9:58 am

iCM Forum's Favourite Documentaries

Image

The deadline is 26th January 2019
Countdown till deadline
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *IMDb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • IMDb lists and iCM lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course).
  • Your list may be ranked, unranked, or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
  • Mocumentaries (e.g. This is Spinal Tap) are not allowed.
  • Stage shows (stand-up comedy, concerts, ......) are not allowed. Documentaries about artists in which stage shows are part of the movie, are allowed. In doubt, just ask.
  • For all boundary cases: ask yourself "if I want to recommend a documentary, would I recommend this as a documentary?". Don't try to bend the boundaries too much.
List length and halflife to be decided later. Last time it was a top 200 and 30.

2015:
results thread
top 200 on iCM

Some help:

Documentaries you rated on IMDb sorted descending by your rating

Official Lists
100 Documentary Films (BFI Screen Guide)
IMDb Documentary Top 50
Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing List: Non-Fiction Films (2012)
Sight and Sound -The Greatest Documentaries of All Time

Some Unofficial Lists
About Film: Recommended Movie-Themed Documentaries
Academy Award Best Documentary Feature Nominees
Academy Award Best Documentary Feature Winers
All Essay-Films
Brighton Film Academy's 100 Documentary Films to Watch
Cinematic Essay Filmography by Peter Thompson
Criterion Collection Themes - Documentaries
Current TV's 50 Documentaries to See Before You Die
DFI's Top 100 Danish Documentary Films
Documentaries About the Environment and Ecology
The Documentary Blog's Top 50 Documentaries of the Decade
Documentary films about Agriculture
Filmspotting Top 100 Documentaries
Flavorwire's 50 Best Documentaries of All Time
Football documentaries
The Guardian's 50 documentaries you need to see
iCM Forum's Top 250 Highest Rated Documentaries
iCheckMovies' Most Favorite Documentaries
Kansu's List of Documentaries for an Educated Mind
Kasparius' Favorite Documentaries
Metal Documentaries
One Hundred Great Documentaries (OUP)
Paste Magazine: The 100 Best Documentaries of All Time
Rock Documentaries and concert films
Sundance Film Festival - Documentary Grand Jury Prize
Time Out New York 50 Best Documentaries
Top Music Documentaries (RYM)
True crime documentaries
Viennale's The Way of the Termite: The Essay in Film 1909-2004

Last edited by joachimt on January 27th, 2019, 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2569
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#2

Post by Onderhond » January 1st, 2019, 10:17 am

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... onderhond/

Ranked of course :D ... bit of a sad list really, but while I find docs easy to watch, I find them extremely difficult to like. Maybe there aren't enough docs about subjects I care for, but I fear it's really just a combination of sappiness, lack of journalistic value and downright appalling propaganda.

I could've added Otaku no Video maybe, but that felt like cheating.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#3

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2019, 10:24 am

Stats so far:
Number of participants: 1
Total films voted for: 1
Average list length: 1

I guess I'll be using a half life of 1. :lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2569
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#4

Post by Onderhond » January 1st, 2019, 10:27 am

Guess what film I'll be pushing?! Well it's Antarctica: A Year on Ice of course (you really should see it, it's quite impressive).

User avatar
TajSamKojiJesam
Posts: 78
Joined: Feb 14, 2018
Contact:

#5

Post by TajSamKojiJesam » January 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

Last edited by TajSamKojiJesam on January 6th, 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#6

Post by jvv » January 1st, 2019, 10:59 am



User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 241
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#8

Post by Coryn » January 1st, 2019, 11:48 am

What's a halflife exactly?
[*][*][*][*][*] Favorite
[*][*][*][*] Very good
[*][*][*] Good
[*][*] Okay
[*] Bad

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#9

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2019, 11:53 am

Coryn wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 11:48 am
What's a halflife exactly?
viewtopic.php?p=428450#p428450
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2295
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#10

Post by 72allinncallme » January 1st, 2019, 12:02 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+f ... inncallme/

First 20 are ranked, rest unranked. Probably forgot a couple. Most likely some shorts.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29217
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#11

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2019, 12:26 pm

"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image


User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#13

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm

I'm thinking about not even voting myself. Did some filtering in Excel, so I have a starting list now, but I need to go through it. I want to be selective and not include movies that I don't value as a doc, but more as something else. Because of this, I wouldn't even vote for A Man With a Movie Camera, because I value that mostly because of the camerawork and cinematography, not because it's telling a well structured story. That can be said about more experimental docs as well. But A Man... was #1 on the last poll and it's on several documentary-lists. Would feel stupid to exclude it, since I love it. But by excluding it I could give other "true" documentaries more chance. AAAARGGGHHH, why is this so hard?!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

mathiasa
Posts: 2158
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#14

Post by mathiasa » January 1st, 2019, 9:21 pm

lots of new entries and a new #1, my first and only succesful dtc nomination: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fav+doc/mathiasa/

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1272
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#15

Post by hurluberlu » January 1st, 2019, 10:18 pm

Do you manage group ranking as well ?
If yes, my groups would be 1-55 and 56-102.
Thanks!

my list
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage






User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#21

Post by joachimt » January 2nd, 2019, 8:39 am

hurluberlu wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 10:18 pm
Do you manage group ranking as well ?
If yes, my groups would be 1-55 and 56-102.
Thanks!

my list
No. The script doesn't handle group-ranked lists. Please specify otherwise.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1272
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#22

Post by hurluberlu » January 2nd, 2019, 8:44 am

joachimt wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 8:39 am
hurluberlu wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 10:18 pm
Do you manage group ranking as well ?
If yes, my groups would be 1-55 and 56-102.
Thanks!

my list
No. The script doesn't handle group-ranked lists. Please specify otherwise.
Ok, all ranked then.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5361
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#23

Post by albajos » January 2nd, 2019, 9:25 am

The Living Planet (1984)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135096/
I would call this a mini-series, as it is only 12 episodes. Imdb's automated system has the cut-off at 4, I think, so they call it a TV-series.

Can I add it?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#24

Post by joachimt » January 2nd, 2019, 10:11 am

albajos wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 9:25 am
The Living Planet (1984)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135096/
I would call this a mini-series, as it is only 12 episodes. Imdb's automated system has the cut-off at 4, I think, so they call it a TV-series.

Can I add it?
I'll allow it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5361
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#25

Post by albajos » January 2nd, 2019, 10:22 am

Great, here it is then

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls041759998/
ranked

(it could have been longer, but I have excluded all Making of a Single Movie Documentaries.)

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5716
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#26

Post by sebby » January 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am

Coryn wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 11:48 am
What's a halflife exactly?
So when you are walloped in the melon with the stinging bolt you’ve batted away with admirable dexterity for years but now you are not so agile and oh fuck also on the wrong side of 35/45/55, now seeing in 4K the opportunities to be happy and fulfilled and to sign your name to an existence that leaves a footprint of any depth whatever that you missed or bungled and certainly will never have again, your only bit of visible light now a stab at well received mediocrity but heeeey you’re too tired even to grip a sharp implement, your only pleasure now the daydream of taking the artist’s plunge into a ceaseless slumber, your enduring aggravation a knowledge that you won’t and will instead flaccidly rub away each now to reveal the next, smaller and duller than the one it replaces until you’re left with the last, a grey and fading torn and stained miniature sheet of onion skin you will cling to when the monsoon arrives even though you don’t want the damn thing.

But hey. you still have access to blueberries and karagarga and a big comfortable rectangle to lay on. And there is also that dog that licks you like an ice cream cone when you see him.

That is, essentially, a half-life.

I think there is also a more sciencey definition of the term but I’m sure that’s not what you’re looking for when you inquired.

Welcome to the forum btw.

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 241
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#27

Post by Coryn » January 2nd, 2019, 12:04 pm

sebby wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am
Coryn wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 11:48 am
What's a halflife exactly?
So when you are walloped in the melon with the stinging bolt you’ve batted away with admirable dexterity for years but now you are not so agile and oh fuck also on the wrong side of 35/45/55, now seeing in 4K the opportunities to be happy and fulfilled and to sign your name to an existence that leaves a footprint of any depth whatever that you missed or bungled and certainly will never have again, your only bit of visible light now a stab at well received mediocrity but heeeey you’re too tired even to grip a sharp implement, your only pleasure now the daydream of taking the artist’s plunge into a ceaseless slumber, your enduring aggravation a knowledge that you won’t and will instead flaccidly rub away each now to reveal the next, smaller and duller than the one it replaces until you’re left with the last, a grey and fading torn and stained miniature sheet of onion skin you will cling to when the monsoon arrives even though you don’t want the damn thing.

But hey. you still have access to blueberries and karagarga and a big comfortable rectangle to lay on. And there is also that dog that licks you like an ice cream cone when you see him.

That is, essentially, a half-life.

I think there is also a more sciencey definition of the term but I’m sure that’s not what you’re looking for when you inquired.

Welcome to the forum btw.
The explanation I was looking for.
[*][*][*][*][*] Favorite
[*][*][*][*] Very good
[*][*][*] Good
[*][*] Okay
[*] Bad


User avatar
Opio
Posts: 122
Joined: May 19, 2018
Location: U.S.
Contact:

#29

Post by Opio » January 2nd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Although the last list includes the concert film "Stop Making Sense", should I still keep it off my list, given the rules of the poll?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#30

Post by joachimt » January 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm

Opio wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:52 pm
Although the last list includes the concert film "Stop Making Sense", should I still keep it off my list, given the rules of the poll?
Stop Making Sense is not allowed, although it is in several documentary lists. Decision is to exclude stage shows.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#31

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 2nd, 2019, 5:39 pm

Just gonna make sure I throw my hat into the ring now before I forget...just started this list and will add more to it in the coming days/weeks.

Ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls041711589/
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator
Posts: 1673
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#32

Post by blocho » January 3rd, 2019, 2:07 am

joachimt wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm
Opio wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:52 pm
Although the last list includes the concert film "Stop Making Sense", should I still keep it off my list, given the rules of the poll?
Stop Making Sense is not allowed, although it is in several documentary lists. Decision is to exclude stage shows.
A lot of people are including concert movies. Are you just going to exclude them when you download?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#33

Post by joachimt » January 3rd, 2019, 7:39 am

blocho wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:07 am
joachimt wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm
Opio wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:52 pm
Although the last list includes the concert film "Stop Making Sense", should I still keep it off my list, given the rules of the poll?
Stop Making Sense is not allowed, although it is in several documentary lists. Decision is to exclude stage shows.
A lot of people are including concert movies. Are you just going to exclude them when you download?
Yes, I will go through the full list once I've calculated the results and remove them from the results. It would be better if people just didn't include them.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5928
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#34

Post by maxwelldeux » January 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am

Woodstock OK?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#35

Post by joachimt » January 3rd, 2019, 7:49 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am
Woodstock OK?
Yes. That is a documentary about a festival and performances are part of it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5361
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#36

Post by albajos » January 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am

It's been a long time since I saw The Last Waltz, but if if it is no backstage footage there I'll remove it.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28596
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#37

Post by joachimt » January 3rd, 2019, 11:12 am

albajos wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am
It's been a long time since I saw The Last Waltz, but if if it is no backstage footage there I'll remove it.
Been a while for me as well, but I remember a concert only.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Traveller
Posts: 423
Joined: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Germany
Contact:

#38

Post by Traveller » January 3rd, 2019, 4:49 pm

ICM
July Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5361
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#39

Post by albajos » January 3rd, 2019, 5:06 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 11:12 am
albajos wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am
It's been a long time since I saw The Last Waltz, but if if it is no backstage footage there I'll remove it.
Been a while for me as well, but I remember a concert only.
I just skimmed it. There are interviews between most of the songs,

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5928
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#40

Post by maxwelldeux » January 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

albajos wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 5:06 pm
joachimt wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 11:12 am
albajos wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am
It's been a long time since I saw The Last Waltz, but if if it is no backstage footage there I'll remove it.
Been a while for me as well, but I remember a concert only.
I just skimmed it. There are interviews between most of the songs,
I just watched it. The stage stuff is only about half of it.

Post Reply