Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: L'innocente

Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials Challenge - Official; January 2019

sol
Donator

Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials Challenge - Official; January 2019

Post by sol » December 31st, 2018, 5:22 am

Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials Challenge

ImageImageImage

Goal
Watch as many Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials as you can from January 1, 2019 to January 31, 2019.

Rules
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 1 episode of any miniseries counts as one entry.
- 1 episode of 'Borgen' or 'The Wire' counts as one entry.
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.

I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.

DEADLINE
Final results will be posted between 4:00pm and 4:30pm GMT on February 2 - at which point it will have been February everywhere in the world for more than a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's February on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges, mm?

The list
Essentials in list order
Sorted by highest number of checks
Sorted by number of official lists

Competing in the other Official Challenges this month?

- 30 of the film in the Essentials lists are tagged as Sci-Fi on iCM.
- 51 of the films in the Essentials list are tagged as Fantasy on iCM.

Russian and Soviet films in the Rosenbaum list (thanks to funky)Show
Ditya bolshogo goroda 1914
Stachka 1925
Shakhmatnaya goryachka 1925
Bronenosets Potemkin 1925
Po zakonu 1926
Mat 1926
Oktyabr 1928
Arsenal 1929
Staroye i novoye 1929
Chelovek s kino-apparatom 1929
Novyy Vavilon 1929
Zemlya 1930
Entuziazm (Simfoniya Donbassa) 1931
Ivan 1932
Dezertir 1933
Velikiy uteshitel 1933
Aerograd 1935
Aleksandr Nevskiy 1938
Detstvo Gorkogo 1938
Ivan Groznyy 1945
Ivan Groznyy. Skaz vtoroy: Boyarskiy zagovor 1958
Tini zabutykh predkiv 1965
Zacharovannaya Desna 1964
Andrey Rublev 1966
Sayat Nova 1969
Solyaris 1972
Stalker 1979
Astenicheskiy sindrom 1990
Vostochnaya elegiya 1996
Tikhie stranitsy 1994
Khrustalyov, mashinu! 1998
Russkiy kovcheg 2002
Okraina 1933
Vesyolye rebyata 1934
Kivski Freski 1966
Obyknovennyy fashizm 1965

This Challenge has been run three times before - including twice in an Official capacity as a single-month Challenge.

2015 Challenge - won by mondovertigo with 55 points (leaderboard in OP not updated)
2013 Challenge - won by joachimt with 56 points (leaderboard in OP out of order)

I wouldn't even want to wager how many of us will surpass joachimt's record this month with max's highly addictive Challenge Olympics in place. :wacko:

Fun Stats
Week 1 -- Week 2

This thread will be updated at least twice a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would appreciate it if you list new films seen in a new post. If you would prefer just to endlessly edit your original post, please let me know so that I remember to check your post. Happy hunting watching!

Participants
RankiCMer# of Watches
1 sol 58
2 tourdesb 43
3 Traveller 41
4 jeroeno 36
5 albajos 20
6 maxwelldeux 14
7 Eva_L 10
8 hurluberlu 9
9 Coryn 8
10 Mate_cosido 7
10 weirdboy 7
12 jdidaco 6
12 nimimerkillinen 6
14 flavo5000 5
14 Lilarcor 5
16 sebby 4
16 clemmetarey 4
18 cinephage 3
18 Knaldskalle 3
20 vortexsurfer 2
21 3eyes 1
21 allisoncm 1
21 blocho 1
21 mightysparks 1
21 ororama 1
21 RBG 1
21 zzzorf 1
Last edited by sol on January 21st, 2019, 12:01 pm, edited 55 times in total.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » December 31st, 2018, 5:41 am

I'm in.
Starting the month at 912/1133 (#22)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 31st, 2018, 5:41 am

I am in. I'm burnt out after the Doc challenge, but I'm in.

And because I'm an obsessive nit-picky asshole person, minor points of clarification:

- The 2013 Rosenbaum challenge wasn't official - it's listed in the Challenges Index, but doesn't have the "Official" tag that mighty was using at the time.
- Rosenbaum has also been included (though not limited to) in the three official Critics challenges we've had: November '17, December '14, and April '12.

BTW, thanks for hosting!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 31st, 2018, 6:13 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 5:41 am
I am in. I'm burnt out after the Doc challenge, but I'm in.

And because I'm an obsessive nit-picky asshole person, minor points of clarification:

- The 2013 Rosenbaum challenge wasn't official - it's listed in the Challenges Index, but doesn't have the "Official" tag that mighty was using at the time.
Ah, I see. I can amend the OP.

I am feeling burnt out too after I decided to go for broke in an attempt to retain my status as Canadian Challenge Champ. Saw some incredibly good films this month, but I am kind of ready for a break. :sleeping:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 31st, 2018, 6:27 am

I'm in. I'm aiming to watch all the Russia Challenge eligible films, The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T, the couple Mike Leigh films I haven't seen, and probably a couple others maybe... I won't be much of a contender for challenge champ as I'll be focusing on the Russia challenge.

sittin' at 406/1133, 161 shy of bronze, rank #558.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 31st, 2018, 6:28 am

sol wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:13 am
I am feeling burnt out too after I decided to go for broke in an attempt to retain my status as Canadian Challenge Champ. Saw some incredibly good films this month, but I am kind of ready for a break. :sleeping:
I've been admiring your Canadian challenge watches there. And yeah - I turn a lot of challenges into Documentary challenges, just by watching several docs that qualify. But wow am I yearning for more narrative films...

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 31st, 2018, 6:36 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:28 am
sol wrote:
I've been admiring your Canadian challenge watches there. And yeah - I turn a lot of challenges into Documentary challenges, just by watching several docs that qualify. But wow am I yearning for more narrative films...
Oh - I was talking more about the pace that I have been watching films to try to stay ahead in the Canadian Challenge - sometimes up to five feature length movies a day. I could easily spend the next two or three months watching Canuck cinema without getting tired of it. It's a really diverse realm of cinema, spanning creative horror films to conceptual sci-fi thrillers to indie comedies to yes, of course, documentaries. I just couldn't spend another two or three months watching 4 to 5 films a day. :wacko:
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 31st, 2018, 6:42 am

sol wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:36 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:28 am
sol wrote:
Oh - I was talking more about the pace that I have been watching films to try to stay ahead in the Canadian Challenge - sometimes up to five feature length movies a day. I could easily spend the next two or three months watching Canuck cinema without getting tired of it. It's a really diverse realm of cinema, spanning creative horror films to conceptual sci-fi thrillers to indie comedies to yes, of course, documentaries. I just couldn't spend another two or three months watching 4 to 5 films a day. :wacko:
I'm right there with you - docs are my favorite genre, but I'm averaging 4.5/day, which is just a bit more than I'm built for. I love docs, but some sci-fi films will be welcome...

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » December 31st, 2018, 6:56 am

I'm in. I have pretty much seen the available Jonathan Rosenbaum films, so I will either rewatch or try to dig up something new.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » December 31st, 2018, 1:25 pm

Not competing in the Maxolympics this year (been there, done that) but will report what, if anything, I happen to watch.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » December 31st, 2018, 5:34 pm

Are there any easy ways to find out which directors are most frequently mentioned on this list? I might start the year off with delving into one or two directors that have multiple films on this list. Haven't ever taken an "auterist" approach to my film-watching before so I want to try that.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 31st, 2018, 5:44 pm

Offhand, I'm pretty sure Godard and Ford are the top two. Welles, Dreyer, Ozu, Ruiz are also well represented. I think he may have the stats somewhere buried on his site, at least the top few, but not sure how to find it easily.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 31st, 2018, 5:44 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 5:34 pm
Are there any easy ways to find out which directors are most frequently mentioned on this list? I might start the year off with delving into one or two directors that have multiple films on this list. Haven't ever taken an "auterist" approach to my film-watching before so I want to try that.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls033257305/

That's the Rosenbaum list on IMDB (I think - I haven't compared). You can export and sort by director to find what you're looking for.

EDIT: I got curious. Here's everyone with at least 5 entries:

Director Number of Appearances
Jean-Luc Godard 18
Fritz Lang 18
Alfred Hitchcock 16
Alain Resnais 15
Jean Renoir 14
Luis Buñuel 13
Orson Welles 12
Abbas Kiarostami 11
John Ford 11
Howard Hawks 10
Yasujirô Ozu 9
Robert Bresson 9
Charles Chaplin 9
Jacques Tourneur 9
Stanley Kubrick 8
Ernst Lubitsch 8
Nicholas Ray 8
Carl Theodor Dreyer 8
Samuel Fuller 8
Vincente Minnelli 8
D.W. Griffith 8
Kenji Mizoguchi 8
Leo McCarey 7
Jacques Tati 7
Tex Avery 7
John Cassavetes 7
François Truffaut 7
Jim Jarmusch 7
Josef von Sternberg 7
Chantal Akerman 6
Michelangelo Antonioni 6
Danièle Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub 6
Billy Wilder 6
Jacques Rivette 6
F.W. Murnau 6
James Benning 6
Frank Tashlin 6
Luc Moullet 6
George Cukor 6
Raoul Ruiz 6
Hsiao-Hsien Hou 6
Roberto Rossellini 6
Otto Preminger 5
Bernardo Bertolucci 5
Richard Linklater 5
Guy Maddin 5
Ming-liang Tsai 5
Manoel de Oliveira 5
Elia Kazan 5
Max Ophüls 5
Louis Feuillade 5
Michael Snow 5
Jerry Lewis 5
King Vidor 5
Luchino Visconti 5

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » December 31st, 2018, 6:01 pm

Wow, thanks, that's excellent! Surprised by the amount of Hitchcocks and happy to see 5 Snows. Looks like a Godard month for me then. I've only seen 4 so it's about time for sure. If any of you have some favorite writings on him or his films please share!

Really wish I had the opportunity to see Goodbye to Language in 3D, don't think it was ever screened in 3D in Norway and I can't watch 3D at home.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 31st, 2018, 11:29 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:01 pm
Wow, thanks, that's excellent! Surprised by the amount of Hitchcocks and happy to see 5 Snows. Looks like a Godard month for me then. I've only seen 4 so it's about time for sure. If any of you have some favorite writings on him or his films please share!

Really wish I had the opportunity to see Goodbye to Language in 3D, don't think it was ever screened in 3D in Norway and I can't watch 3D at home.
here's one that immediately came to mind. It's about Le petit soldat (not on JR) and Beau travail (on JR, but you've seen it already).

https://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc50.2 ... index.html

I'll try digging up some other stuff over the next couple days.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » January 1st, 2019, 12:21 am

funkybusiness wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 11:29 pm
Lilarcor wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:01 pm

here's one that immediately came to mind. It's about Le petit soldat (not on JR) and Beau travail (on JR, but you've seen it already).

https://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc50.2 ... index.html

I'll try digging up some other stuff over the next couple days.
:wub: Appreciate it!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 1st, 2019, 5:10 am

It starts!

1. Solaris (1972) REVISION

Combining the mysteries of deep space with themes of grief, loneliness and what it means to be human, Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris is a riveting watch. It is very deliberately paced, yet has seldom a boring moment as Tarkovsky makes his film about mood, tension and uncertainty as opposed to the thrills and chills. The film also benefits from a memorable melancholy ending that highlights just how vulnerable we as human beings are due to our inability to control our own thoughts.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 1st, 2019, 10:22 am

Essentially YoursShow

2. Groundhog Day (1993)

While the basic idea has cropped in many films since (Repeaters, Source Code, Happy Death Day etc) - the full-out comedy approach that Harold Ramis applies has never really been redone, and certainly never with so much charm. For what gradually becomes a rather dark comedy (with him committing suicide multiple times), the film eventually turns full circle and ends on a heartwarming note with lots to think about in terms of the power of human decency. In short, it is a great concept excellently executed.
Last edited by sol on January 2nd, 2019, 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 1st, 2019, 6:06 pm

1. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988, Terry Gilliam)
2. Yukinojô henge (1963, Kon Ichikawa)

Not a great start, didn't enjoy any of the two.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 1st, 2019, 7:52 pm

01. Blade Runner (1982) The Final Cut (2007) USA | Hong Kong 30 official lists 67 371 [rewatch] [double]
I have seen the Director's cut earlier, and that was 25 years ago, so not exactly a rewatch...
02. Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) UK 3 official lists 737 [double]
The myth about the Flying Dutchman in a "present" setting.

Off. list progress
+2 Rosenbaum (27,8%)

!seen 2

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 2nd, 2019, 3:23 am

Like I said, I'm not participating in this challenge.

1. Shi / Poetry (S Kor 10) - Rewatch
My favorite Korean film and one of my favorites all-around. Of late I've been rewatching things and often discover that scenes I remembered vividly aren't there. Oh well. There are a lot of ellipses here, things happen that are signaled but not spelled out.
In my reading, something other commentators seem to miss is how
SpoilerShow
while the fathers of the other boys are intent on a cover-up, our aging heroine is intent on seeing - as advised by the poetry teacher. While she consciously looks for poetic inspiration in the wrong places, she is led to go to the girl's funeral, steal her picture, revisit the scene of the suicide, reach out to the girl's mother on a human level instead of following the cover-up agenda. Thus she immerses herself in seeing the dead girl, which lays the groundwork for her poem.

As for the ellipses: for instance, her interaction with the policeman at the poetry reading, and the information that he has been demoted for trying to fight corruption, point her in a direction of which we see the result but not the intermediary steps. Nor do we need to see the consequences for the cover-up scheme.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » January 2nd, 2019, 3:37 am

Thanks for hosting, sol. Happy New Year!

Welles & Lewis - starting the year with two of my favorite American filmmakers,

1. The Oher Side of the Wind (Orson Welles, 1972/2018) 8/10
2. Hardly Working (Jerry Lewis, 1980) 8/10

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 2nd, 2019, 5:32 am

1. Vinyl (1965) #532

Probably not the best start to the Rosenbaum list...

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 2nd, 2019, 7:20 am

Trying to reach 36

01. Made in U.S.A. (1966)
02. Dokfa nai meuman (2000)

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 2nd, 2019, 7:22 am

1. Aerograd - Some gorgeous nature and flying cinematography and besides that some too. Kind of bizarre at time, probably because of my poor knowledge of the context. Drags a bit at some moments but was worth watching

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 2nd, 2019, 11:25 am

3. Mossafer (1974, Abbas Kiarostami)
Seen this monthShow
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 2nd, 2019, 1:37 pm

Essentially YoursShow
2. Groundhog Day (1993)

3. Public Housing (1997)

Frederick Wiseman shows many passionate and caring individuals coping with life in a squalid public housing estate here. Vignettes include one resident trying to enroll in drug rehabilitation, building board meetings, a drug awareness lesson in a kindergarten class and social workers explaining their opposition to foster care. The biggest highlight though is a lesson on condoms given by a resident whose own babies will not stop crying in the background. Clocking in at over three hours, some episodes (the lettuce lady in particular) run a little long though.
Image Image Image

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 2nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

Haven't seen Public Housing yet, but I sure will very soon.
BTW, happy belated birthday to Frederick Wiseman who has turned 89 yesterday, and is still active.
Image Image Image

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » January 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am

1. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960) 8/10 JR #453

Film noir man (Belmondo) meets a woman straight out of Bergman (Seberg). One always on the move, the other more or less chained in place but flirts with drowning in darkness. A man killed in the countryside leads to jazzy long bedroom conversations in the city. Threesome with Belmondo and the viewer as we both lock eyes with Humphrey Bogart, however the intertwining of noir and Bergman bodies remains a mystery between the bedsheets. The ending is an inevitable sacrifice: a noirish "crucifixition in the gutter" the audience feel they deserve followed by the more troubling and... pregnant reaction shot of her, quoted from the end of Summer with Monika (to paraphrase Fernando F. Croce).

RBG

Post by RBG » January 3rd, 2019, 12:52 am

i'm in for a couple at least...
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 3rd, 2019, 5:29 am

3. Bildnis einer Trinkerin (1979)
4. Blonde Crazy (1931)

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 3rd, 2019, 8:32 am

4. Le 17e parallèle: La guerre du peuple (1968, Joris Ivens & Marceline Loridan-Ivens)
5. Tangos volés (2001, Eduardo de Gregorio)
Seen this monthShow
4. Le 17e parallèle: La guerre du peuple (1968, Joris Ivens & Marceline Loridan-Ivens)
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 3rd, 2019, 8:54 am

Essentially YoursShow
2. Groundhog Day (1993)
3. Public Housing (1997)

4. I'm Not There. (2007)

There is a lot to like in the outlandish premise here as it parallels how Bob Dylan kept changing and redefining himself throughout his career. Cate Blanchett is superb, and not because she is playing a man but rather since she is him at his most rambling and philosophical. And yet, the overall film feels like a mess, cut hurriedly between the various persona, never letting us under his skin. The film looks gorgeous, especially the black and white stretches, but as someone who knows little about Dylan outside of his music, I didn't come away feeling that I had learnt anything more.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 3rd, 2019, 3:36 pm

Essentially YoursShow
2. Groundhog Day (1993)
3. Public Housing (1997)
4. I'm Not There. (2007)

5. The Dead Girl (2006)

An indie thriller that plays out as five distinct and individual stories. The film begins on an intriguing note as introvert Toni Collette discovers a dead body, annoys her overbearing mother by drawing media attention to her home and then goes out on a date with a young man who is a little too fascinated with serial killers and murder. Unfortunately, the rest of the stories pale by comparison. The part dedicated to the killer's wife has a lot of interest merely due to the unique perspective, but it is really only in the fifth tale that actually satisfies as things start to tie together.
Image Image Image

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 3rd, 2019, 4:30 pm

6. Katzelmacher (1969, Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
7. Blonde Crazy (1931, Roy del Ruth)
Seen this monthShow
6. Katzelmacher (1969, Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
7. Blonde Crazy (1931, Roy del Ruth)
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 3rd, 2019, 7:48 pm

1. The Wire S2Ep6: All Prologue (Steve Shill, 2003) [JR#1078] 7+
2. The Wire S2Ep7: Backwash (Thomas J. Wright, 2003) [JR#1078] 7-
3. The Exterminating Angel / El Angel Exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1962) [JR#492] [Rewatch] 9 (=)
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 4th, 2019, 5:51 am

05. Le Quattro Volte (2010) (l)
06. Million Dolar Legs (1934)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 4th, 2019, 6:46 am

Starting with only 331 to go for bronzeShow
1. Vinyl (1965) #532
2. Shorts (60m):

Valse Triste (1977, 5m) #698
The Heart of the World (2000, 6m) #978
Dumb-Hounded (1943, 7m) #221
Screwball Squirrel (1944, 7m) #237
Jammin' the Blues (1944, 10m) #234
En rachâchant (1982, 7m) #748
Mutable Fire (1984, 8m) #777
Lmno (1978, 10m) #709

Highlight of this batch is The Heart of the World, which is an homage to those Soviet and German films back in the day - it really captured that spirit was was riveting for every second.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 4th, 2019, 7:51 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 6:46 am
Highlight of this batch is The Heart of the World, which is an homage to those Soviet and German films back in the day - it really captured that spirit was was riveting for every second.
I love that one as well. Maddin is the best when it's short. I watched The Forbidden Room a few days ago and there is a lot of genius cinema in there as well, but two hours is just waaaay too long to keep me interested in his style and weird stories. It's much more effective as a short.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 4th, 2019, 10:32 am

Essentially YoursShow
2. Groundhog Day (1993)
3. Public Housing (1997)
4. I'm Not There. (2007)
5. The Dead Girl (2006)

6. The Hustler (1961)

Opening with an intense scene in which Paul Newman and his mentor successfully hustle some unsuspecting bar patrons, The Hustler gets off to a very good start. Newman is excellent as the conceited protagonist who is sort of charming despite never knowing when to call it quits. Piper Laurie is also appealing as his girlfriend, but the real star of the film is Dede Allen's dissolve-heavy editing design. The plot derails for a little bit as the romance takes centre focus and the film does not conclude on the strongest of notes, but this is fairly solid stuff.
Image Image Image