Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

Movie Pet Hates

xianjiro
Donator

Movie Pet Hates

Post by xianjiro » July 1st, 2018, 12:34 am

i (l) this thread

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 1st, 2018, 8:10 pm

I hate when movies ignore simple basic laws of physics.

No, Sharknado film fans, a giant flying great white shark is not going to immediately reverse course when you hit it with a baseball bat. No, Highlander, I don't care how strong and amazing you are, but you're not going to stop a giant sword with your little katana to a dead stop.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 2nd, 2018, 12:28 pm

maxwelldeux on Jul 1 2018, 02:10:09 PM wrote:I hate when movies ignore simple basic laws of physics.
I just saw Harold Lloyd falling to the right side of a train, because the train went through a sharp bend............. to the right. <_<
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 16th, 2018, 11:55 am

Very practical for us as a viewer when the bad guys all bought the red lasergun and the good guys have a green lasergun, so we can easily recognize which shot is from whom.
ICM-profile

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » August 3rd, 2018, 4:16 am

After seeing the trailer for Alpha...characters who have perfect, white teeth no matter what time period the film takes place.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 3rd, 2018, 5:38 am

The white teeth reminds me... women who have shaved armpits and legs no matter the situation, place or time period.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 3rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

A cop realizes that someone quietly walking away at a moderate distance is a bad guy that needs to be stopped. Instead of closing in on him before he notices it, the cop shouts "hey, stop!", which gives the bad guy a head start.
ICM-profile

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 30th, 2018, 10:56 pm

I'm sure it has been mentioned at least once in 300+ posts, but I'm on a Giallo binge and have to rant about it.

Did they have to have a "I know who the killer is but I will only tell you in person because lol" phone conversation in every single one of them.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 30th, 2018, 11:07 pm

I was thinking we need a thread for all the movie cliches, just like that one

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » October 1st, 2018, 3:53 pm

There is an evil force/creture. We saw it kill a few extras earlier in the story. But when it runs against the main character, it just frightens him or her...

kathulu

Post by kathulu » October 1st, 2018, 10:42 pm

I haven't been through the whole thread, so please forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but...

People who "play musical instruments". My GOD. First of all, I can always see when someone's not a musician at all and it grinds me the wrong way. But sometimes, it's soooooort of passable and that annoys me even more!! I have perfect pitch and I can hear/see when it's not the right pitch on the instrument, or when they're playing a completely different tune to what we're hearing. My latest grievance is the intro to "Westworld", where the hand that's playing the piano is OFF WITH ONE KEY oh stop it how did no one check that bit before it went through??

It really annoys me LOL

Cinematic history journey: https://twitter.com/Katlovesmovies1

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » October 22nd, 2018, 1:18 am

Spotted in Hellions:
“Honey, I can barely hear you. Listen, we’ll talk when I get back, okay?” *hangs up*

uugh :verymad:
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 10th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The lead character has an important suitcase. Someone else enters the scene and the camera focuses on his suitcase, which looks exactly like the suitcase of the lead. Of course you know what's going to happen in a few moments. <_<
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 11th, 2018, 1:21 am

joachimt wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 7:23 pm
The lead character has an important suitcase. Someone else enters the scene and the camera focuses on his suitcase, which looks exactly like the suitcase of the lead. Of course you know what's going to happen in a few moments. <_<
So What's Up, Doc? must be absolute torture...

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » December 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 10:56 pm
I'm sure it has been mentioned at least once in 300+ posts, but I'm on a Giallo binge and have to rant about it.

Did they have to have a "I know who the killer is but I will only tell you in person because lol" phone conversation in every single one of them.
Not to forget the guy who phoned is killed when the called-person (usually the lead character) reached there.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 2nd, 2019, 8:08 am

The other day reminded me...

People in movies who don't know how to open champagne. Or get injured by the cork. Just... open the fucking bottle like not a moron.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 5th, 2019, 8:52 pm

"When something happens, we run!"
Moments later a giant monster is grabbing and eating one of them. The rest just stands in awe until the monster attacks them as well. What's wrong with you people?! Just RUN!!
ICM-profile

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm

In American movies set in high schools, I hate that the students don't know each others names, generally the protagonist knows the names of the popular guys or girls, but not the other way, and at some point they have to ask what is your name, and then the shy one will say yeah I know you we have geography together etc... It is really like that in american schools? I knew all my classmates names ffs.

albajos

Post by albajos » February 5th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Time limits:

Defusing a bomb when there's one second left
Scoring the winning goal as the counter reaches zero
Or Time Travel. They can go to whatever time they want but go to a time where they just have minutes to finish their task

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 5th, 2019, 11:06 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:52 pm
What's wrong with you people?!
What's wrong with them is that they are in shock and generally don't act rationally anymore :p

I think it's interesting that the whole world around us is full of people making the dumbest, most idiotic decisions on a daily basis, but we still expect characters in movies to be more rational than robots, under all circumstances.

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » February 6th, 2019, 4:08 am

max-scl wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm
In American movies set in high schools, I hate that the students don't know each others names, generally the protagonist knows the names of the popular guys or girls, but not the other way, and at some point they have to ask what is your name, and then the shy one will say yeah I know you we have geography together etc... It is really like that in american schools? I knew all my classmates names ffs.
I went to a small high school with a graduating class of 100 and overall population of 450. While some people moved in and out, it was a fairly stable class from kindergarten to graduation. I knew the names of everyone in my class, one year younger and one year older. I knew most of the people two to three years older and younger.

Most high school depicted in movies are suburban high schools that have classes larger than my high school with a more fluid influx and outflux of students. They also had numerous grade schools and junior highs that funneled into the high school, so they did not go to school with everyone. In these cases, I can see not knowing everyone, especially since some of the movies deal with older popular students and while the popular ones might know them, they could also be acting cool around their friends in denying knowing someone.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 6th, 2019, 9:28 am

People who move to a new house (mostly at the start of a movie) who haven't even seen the house before they move there. Mostly it's the father who had picked the house and the mother and kids come in fullly surprised. Do people in real life actually do that?
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 6th, 2019, 8:31 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:28 am
People who move to a new house (mostly at the start of a movie) who haven't even seen the house before they move there. Mostly it's the father who had picked the house and the mother and kids come in fullly surprised. Do people in real life actually do that?
On occasion, yes. When I moved to this area (about 5 years ago), the job I was moving for would pay moving expenses, but only if I started in 2 weeks. My wife was out of town, so I had to go look for a place to live by myself. I texted her pictures, but when we moved in, she'd never seen it. Of course, that's the exception, not the rule, but still.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » May 1st, 2019, 12:54 am

-Can I sit here ?/ use this chair? /etc
-It's a free country

WTF, do people actually say this in the US?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 1st, 2019, 12:56 am

max-scl wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 12:54 am
-It's a free country

yes but probably because they saw it in a movie.
and they're assholes.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2019, 1:35 am

max-scl wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm
yeah, generally knew everyone's name, even people in other classes

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2019, 1:40 am

funkybusiness wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 12:56 am
max-scl wrote:
-It's a free country

yes but probably because they saw it in a movie.
and they're assholes.
yeah, keep in mind it carries the attitude "if you absolutely must" especially if said while avoiding eye contact. Of course people also say things like "please", "help yourself", "sure", or "it's open." Occasionally, one might actually get a person with a sense of humor, "what and make my invisible friend move?" or something. And then, I've seen it on transit, there are people who don't say anything, just turn away or even put their bag in the seat "it's taken."
Last edited by xianjiro on May 1st, 2019, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 1st, 2019, 7:43 am

max-scl wrote:
-It's a free country

What's weird about that? The seat can be taken by someone who just went to the toilet for a minute or something like that. It's polite to ask if a seat is taken, before you sit down next to someone.

Exception might be places were it's obvious the seat isn't taken like on a bus.
ICM-profile

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 1st, 2019, 7:47 am

I don't think the question was the wtf, but rather the brusque "it's a free country" response.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 1st, 2019, 8:09 am

Oh right, misread that. Yeah, that's a rather rude respons.
ICM-profile

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 1st, 2019, 2:55 pm

max-scl wrote:
-It's a free country

My brother has occasionally said this to me. I'm talking about maybe 5-7 times over the past couple of decades. And each time, I've interpreted it as a patriotic sentiment about the extent of liberty we all enjoy in this country. And each time, I feel inevitably drawn into a discourse on the meaning of freedom both in an ontological way and as an aspect of political philosophy. That being said, I think most people are not like my brother and me.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » May 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm

Maybe it's just a propagandistic feature of Hollywood films

And I didn't know in other countries one had to ask for permission to sit beside someone in public transport. Now I feel bad for when I did that years ago.

albajos

Post by albajos » May 1st, 2019, 8:26 pm

You don't have to. But it's Common courtesy. Also you usually ask on a bus or trains where it's only two seats. After all your sharing an armrest for a trip, you might as well break the ice.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 2nd, 2019, 3:49 am

so, on crowded public transport (bus, train, rocket, whatever), there is only one seat not occupied by a human-like lifeform but there is a piece of inanimate baggage, would you simply move it and take the seat or ask the person next to the bag if you could sit there?

Like albajos said, common courtesy says one asks before taking a seat next to another. It's less about permission and more about making human-to-human contact, but granted the pervasiveness of headphones and earbuds in modern society clearly mean to end that once and for all.

Just do whatever you want and fuck everyone else, right?

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 2nd, 2019, 3:50 am

sorry, we're getting off topic for the topic-nazis, but really, do we want to start a new thread for this side-topic?

sol can find me here

max-scl

Post by max-scl » May 2nd, 2019, 4:34 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 3:49 am
so, on crowded public transport (bus, train, rocket, whatever), there is only one seat not occupied by a human-like lifeform but there is a piece of inanimate baggage, would you simply move it and take the seat or ask the person next to the bag if you could sit there?

Like albajos said, common courtesy says one asks before taking a seat next to another. It's less about permission and more about making human-to-human contact, but granted the pervasiveness of headphones and earbuds in modern society clearly mean to end that once and for all.

Yes, if the person is using the other seat to put some baggage, I will ask him politely to move the thing. But if the seat is completely empty no, I wouldn't say anything and just sit, except when that person is using the aisle seat and the empty seat is the window one. But that's just an "excuse me" to come through, which is different than one to sit.

There are courtesy norms and I'm sure 90% are the same, but I never noticed this one which is different. Now I will obsessively pay attention to public transport scenes where this things happen.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 2nd, 2019, 4:46 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 3:49 am
So you'd feel offended if someone sits in an empty seat next to yours without asking?

I guess it depends on where you live, but I've taken my share of buses/trains and I don't recall having ever seen anyone asking if they could sit down, nor have I seen anyone getting upset because someone sat down in the free sit next to them without asking. It's public transport, no one owns the seats, if a seat is empty then it's safe to assume it's free, and if not, they'll say something and you just apologise and look for another seat, what's the big deal?

Obviously in a cafe/restaurant/bar & other social venues you would ask, since they could be waiting for someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 2nd, 2019, 6:40 am

Certainly norms will vary by location, and by this, even within a given country or time of day. People in small towns might be more likely to ask before sitting next to someone on public transit than folks in big cities. And no, I'm not saying that anyone expects others to do anything but sit, especially on large metro systems and the like, but equally, there is nothing wrong with at least acknowledging the other person, especially in two-seat situation.

But in the cafe/bar/restaurant situation - why is it anymore expected to ask 'permission' before taking the only available seat during a crowded lunch rush when many are dining solo? One could easily make the same argument there. (And at least in the US, be just as likely to draw the response, "It's a free country.") Does it matter if it's a lunch counter or table with two chairs?

So, I'm wondering how often people in other locales encounter bus passengers who don't face forward in the aisle seat (and for now, we can ignore if the window seat is occupied or not). One day I had to fight past four young men, each in an aisle seat, each in a different row, each with his legs in the aisle - I thought that the height of discourtesy and wanted to sick both Miss Manners and Emily Post on the lot of them though I'm certain my thoughts at the time were nowhere near as polite and much more akin to Tim's quote of mine.

Note: people frequently take the aisle seat on the bus to forestall others from sitting next to them, much like they put their baggage there. No one cares when the bus is 1/4 full, but when people are standing and can barely get on the bus ...
:facepalm:

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 2nd, 2019, 6:55 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 6:40 am
Note: people frequently take the aisle seat on the bus to forestall others from sitting next to them, much like they put their baggage there. No one cares when the bus is 1/4 full, but when people are standing and can barely get on the bus ...
:facepalm:
This might be a great time to tell my favorite bus story... In grad school, I started growing my hair out because why not. Then it got to winter (Minneapolis - think Canada weather), so I grew out my winter beard since I often walked the 1.25 miles to school. And my winter coat was flannel. If you picture stereotypical homeless person, you'd find it in my mirror (according to me, at least). One day, I was lazy and took the bus to school in winter - got on the bus less than half full. As we picked up more and more people, people sat down. The seat next to me remained unoccupied. In fact, every single other seat on the bus was filled and four people where standing before someone sat next to me. Fascinating experience.

Back on topic, the "it's a free country" response is one I've always interpreted as someone being a dismissive asshole. a) that's not what "freedom" means, and b) there are an infinite number of politer responses.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 2nd, 2019, 8:52 am

LOL. I've never thought I looked like a homeless guy, but given your description above... although I'm confident my bear is a tad bit longer than what you were able to grow in a winter. But yeah, even though I almost always sit next to the window, people seem reluctant to sit next to me, now I understand 'the logic' behind that. I mean, unless you're trying to convince me that Hillary's running in 2020 or there's no such things as global warming, I'm really the nicest, most considerate person to sit next to on the bus.

sol can find me here