Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directed by women (Results), DtC (Results), 2015 awards (May 23rd), 1930s (May 24th)
Challenges: Western, Iran, Cannes
Film of the Week: Ramrod, June nominations (May 24th)

Letterboxd

allisoncm

Letterboxd

Post by allisoncm » July 22nd, 2016, 3:40 pm

PUNQ on Jul 21 2016, 06:48:24 PM wrote:If anyone wanna follow someone where quantity over quality counts, you can add me - PUNQ. :circle:
It seems you have seen a lot of good movies too, though.

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » July 22nd, 2016, 3:54 pm

Thankfully the good ones come my way as well, but I have a love for the treasure hunt, watching the "unknown" films, even if I know they're not going to knock down the movies that already has a solid reputation. At least I get a lot of variety that way.
- The Western Challenge 2016 & 2017, Asian Challenge 2016 GOLD medallist!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 25,000 Checks Club!
- The guy with the most reviews on Letterboxd!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 14th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Letterboxd has for a limited time opened their "IMDb ratings importer" up to all members, not just "Pro" and "Patron", So if that's your thing, here's your chance.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros » February 14th, 2017, 10:29 pm

But no ICM-checks importer? I've only rated about half of the movies I've checked on ICM. :(

RBG

Post by RBG » February 14th, 2017, 10:31 pm

it works great, i just imported 1500 titles on my 'own' list, only around 5 fell out and 3 of those were series. letterboxd has an advantage for me as i'm still working on this list: it shows me if i've already added a film which IMDB does not. i'd have to search 15 pages manually to find doubles after each session!! now i can say i've seen 53% of my 'owned' titles :D

https://letterboxd.com/about/importing-data/

there's some info here about ICM but it looks like the 'free' offer is only from IMDB? no doubt because of the recent changes there bound to piss people off
Last edited by RBG on February 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 14th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Nopros on Feb 14 2017, 03:29:53 PM wrote:But no ICM-checks importer? I've only rated about half of the movies I've checked on ICM. :(
There's a script called IMDb List Helper that can help you out.
  • Install the script in your browser (requires Greasemonkey for FF or Tampermonkey for Chrome).
  • Export your iCM checks as a csv file.
  • Log in to IMDb and create a new list. Use the List Helper to add all your checked movies to the list (use titles, I tried using IMDb URL's and things happened so fast it skipped half of them). This will take some time because it's a manual process.
  • Save list.
  • Rate the titles you haven't yet rated (use the IMDb filters).
  • Export your ratings list as a csv file.
  • Break file into parts if it contains more than 1900 titles (likely) and remember to copy column headers into new files.
  • Import csv files to Letterboxd/url].
ImageImageImageImage

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 14th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Knaldskalle on Feb 14 2017, 03:27:22 PM wrote:Letterboxd has for a limited time opened their "IMDb ratings importer" up to all members, not just "Pro" and "Patron", So if that's your thing, here's your chance.
Cheers for the heads up, but what does "limited time" mean? Sounds like a stupid thing to offer this for a "limited" time.. what's the point if you cannot import without paying after a while anyway? Actually I don't quite follow why they don't offer this function for free since importing is always good for business. Exporting is another story...

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 15th, 2017, 12:16 am

Yep. Importing gives you chunks of data for free. Nothing better can happen to you when you run such a site.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 1:00 am

Knaldskalle on Feb 14 2017, 03:27:22 PM wrote:Letterboxd has for a limited time opened their "IMDb ratings importer" up to all members, not just "Pro" and "Patron", So if that's your thing, here's your chance.
I've been meaning to try letterboxd again but importing all my ratings manually is unfeasible, so this is good to hear.

Can you also import reviews?
Edit: Supposedly yes, but we'll see.

Also: The importer supports a maximum limit of 1,900 films per file :rolleyes:
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on February 15th, 2017, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2017, 1:21 am

metaller on Feb 14 2017, 05:16:40 PM wrote:Yep. Importing gives you chunks of data for free. Nothing better can happen to you when you run such a site.
Data is one thing, but notice how email software for example makes it very easy to migrate from another client whereas usually makes it quite difficult exporting your data to another format.. I'd imagine any such business would be always interested to "lock you in" their system hoping you stay and perhaps sign up for a paid account. It's actually good to see many of these sites offering easy exporting functionality without having to use different tricks to get your data out.
Last edited by bal3x on February 15th, 2017, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 1:29 am

Exporting data that is meant to be displayed is relatively easy using scripts, so locking exports would be a losing proposition.

I agree locking importing behind a pay barrier is stupid, but I don't think the letterboxd people are very smart about movies or running a business. They are good at marketing, though.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2017, 1:37 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 14 2017, 06:29:56 PM wrote:Exporting data that is meant to be displayed is relatively easy using scripts, so locking exports would be a losing proposition.

I agree locking importing behind a pay barrier is stupid, but I don't think the letterboxd people are very smart about movies or running a business. They are good at marketing, though.
Agreed, and generally I think their design is really well done.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 1:52 am

I just tested importing a review, using their custom format and it works, so you should be able to import ICM checks too. Also I can put up all my criticker reviews, which I couldn't 4 years ago when I made the account and gave up on letterboxd.

I guess I get to spend the evening collating all my ratings, reviews and dates into a format letterboxd likes.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 15th, 2017, 2:12 am

I tried it two days ago by importing two lists. Many films are missing and worse than that, many films were misidentified by the software and now I'm stuck having rated some films on letterboxd that I have never seen. (Let me know if there is a way to delete ratings.) So even if I managed to successfully break up my IMDb ratings list I won't bother with that, because it would only result in chaos. The to-watch list that I imported I won't use because with ca. 8% of the titles missing and maybe 3% of them being misidentified the list is more a hazard than a help. And if you want to make a public list you are probably better off just replicating your IMDb/iCM list manually, because with all the rechecking and corrections you have to make you probably won't be any faster, and it's pretty annoying work. Making a list on letterboxd directly actually goes remarkably quickly.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 15th, 2017, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 15th, 2017, 2:33 am

bal3x on Feb 14 2017, 04:21:21 PM wrote:
Cheers for the heads up, but what does "limited time" mean? Sounds like a stupid thing to offer this for a "limited" time.. what's the point if you cannot import without paying after a while anyway? Actually I don't quite follow why they don't offer this function for free since importing is always good for business. Exporting is another story...
I agree with all that and I don't know how long "limited time" is. Since they're now offering what they should've been offering all along I thought it was worth mentioning for those who want to take advantage of it.

I like the diary and rewatch feature of Letterboxd, but other than that I much prefer iCM. No, actually, I like that you can make comments on each movie in a list as well, that's really nice.
Last edited by Knaldskalle on February 15th, 2017, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 2:54 am

Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 14 2017, 07:12:52 PM wrote:many films were misidentified by the software and now
Did you import using imdb ids? This (and the missing films) were a huge problem 4+ years ago when importing was free, and part of the reason I never started using letterboxd, but I thought films had an imdb id associated to them now.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 15th, 2017, 4:23 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 14 2017, 07:54:41 PM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 14 2017, 07:12:52 PM wrote:many films were misidentified by the software and now
Did you import using imdb ids? This (and the missing films) were a huge problem 4+ years ago when importing was free, and part of the reason I never started using letterboxd, but I thought films had an imdb id associated to them now.
I did it as described in their instructions, downloaded the csv file from IMDb and imported it to letterboxd. The csv files naturally include the IMDb IDs. I'm testing it with a list now so I can give you a precise answer.

Most films that aren't in their database are marked with a yellow "!" sign and they simply get ignored when finalizing the list. But some of the ones that aren't in the database are marked with a blue "!" sign where the software found a possible match per name, although NONE of those are a match.

The films that are in the letterboxd database are by and large identified correctly. The one exception is 'Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner' which is marked with a blue "!", but what seems to have happened in this case is that the software got confused because earlier in the list I had "Blade Runner: Deleted and Alternate Scenes" which ISN'T in the letterboxd database, but it just accepted that entry as 'Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner' instead, which usually it wouldn't do, but I guess in this case it did because it saw that the film actually was on the list. So once it got to the actual entry of 'Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner' it got marked with a blue "!" because it was recognized as a duplicate on this list even though it's really only listed once in the original list.

So I guess it does use IMDb IDs, which makes trying to find a match by name completely pointless, either the software finds the correct film or otherwise it clearly isn't in their database. It would be less of a problem if they would list all those blue "!" entries in collected form, but instead you have to go through the whole list and delete each of those entries manually if you don't want to have some random films on your list or your ratings attached to random films.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 15th, 2017, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 4:30 am

Ahh, I see. That makes sense. The title matching is there because you can import lists without imdb ids, but I agree it's pretty worthless since very few films should be in their db without imdb ids. I'll just delete the title column when I import then. Hopefully it tells me what things aren't imported.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 15th, 2017, 5:56 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 14 2017, 09:30:24 PM wrote:Ahh, I see. That makes sense. The title matching is there because you can import lists without imdb ids, but I agree it's pretty worthless since very few films should be in their db without imdb ids. I'll just delete the title column when I import then. Hopefully it tells me what things aren't imported.
Well, there are actually quite a few films listed on letterboxd that don't have an IMDb page. For example almost none of those Paul Clipson films are on IMDb (https://letterboxd.com/director/paul-clipson/) while in turn funnily most the ones that are listed on IMDb (most of which were added by Carmel recently) aren't on letterboxed. So for importing from lists other than from IMDb is makes sense.
Deleting the title column is a good idea (if it works).

It probably won't tell you what films aren't imported because letterboxed just lists the title and year of the films that weren't found, and without a title column... They should be listed in order, though, so if you compare what blank spot corresponds to which film on your list I think it should work, though this could be quite a bit of work, depending on your list.
dream realityImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 6:25 am

Hmm, I'll use those Paul Clipson films to test then. I certainly don't feel like scrolling through batches of 1000 films to figure out what's missing.

Edit: Hmm, it doesn't tell you what's misisng, but the blank spot does say "No match found." So I guess it's doable if I don't have too many missing films. We'll see what happens in a couple of hours when I finish fixing up my watch dates into the format they want.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on February 15th, 2017, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » February 15th, 2017, 7:17 am

This is a good news. Their design is really nice.

And I have a problem. I accidentlay clicked and rated Toni Erdmann, which I have not seen. Now I cant unsee it. Error msg shows like I cant remove as there is some activity on it. And I dont know how to remove that activity. Any help or do I have no other choice but to watch that film ?

Tarris1

Post by Tarris1 » February 15th, 2017, 9:27 am

tommy_leazaq on Feb 15 2017, 12:17:05 AM wrote:This is a good news. Their design is really nice.

And I have a problem. I accidentlay clicked and rated Toni Erdmann, which I have not seen. Now I cant unsee it. Error msg shows like I cant remove as there is some activity on it. And I dont know how to remove that activity. Any help or do I have no other choice but to watch that film ?
Go to the movie's page, click on logged and then "edit this entry". A popup will appear that will let you delete the entry

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 11:19 am

With all the shorts you've seen I don't blame you for not bothering PdA. In theory adding things to Tmdb is pretty quick, but in practice it's rather annoying with having to figure out what the missing film is, then filling out the form then editing in the info that isn't in the submission form.

I've got 25 to go.

Edit: Is there a way to view things without the poster view? On lists there's a toggle, but I can't find a way to do it on a filmography like https://letterboxd.com/director/paul-clipson/ or on my own ratings. It makes browsing for information a huge pain in the ass to not be able to do it.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on February 15th, 2017, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2017, 3:46 pm

So I split my IMDb export in 4 batches with notepad++ and imported them, got 7451 titles whereas on IMDb (and iCM) I have 7506 ratings, so that's 55 short, no way I can determine which ones are not imported, probably some obscure shorts.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 5:39 pm

bal3x on Feb 15 2017, 08:46:35 AM wrote:So I split my IMDb export in 4 batches with notepad++ and imported them, got 7451 titles whereas on IMDb (and iCM) I have 7506 ratings, so that's 55 short, no way I can determine which ones are not imported, probably some obscure shorts.
If you search the import page for "no matches found" you can look up the film before/after in your spreadsheet and figure out what's missing. Some films may be there but without an imdb I'd attached, others may be classified as adult or TV and not allowed on letterboxed, and the rest can be added to tmdb and imported into letterboxd.

Have to say I'm already thinking I wasted an evening on this, letterboxd looks good, but it feels really clumsy to use.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2017, 5:42 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 15 2017, 10:39:01 AM wrote:
bal3x on Feb 15 2017, 08:46:35 AM wrote:So I split my IMDb export in 4 batches with notepad++ and imported them, got 7451 titles whereas on IMDb (and iCM) I have 7506 ratings, so that's 55 short, no way I can determine which ones are not imported, probably some obscure shorts.
If you search the import page for "no matches found" you can look up the film before/after in your spreadsheet and figure out what's missing. Some films may be there but without an imdb I'd attached, others may be classified as adult or TV and not allowed on letterboxed, and the rest can be added to tmdb and imported into letterboxd.

Have to say I'm already thinking I wasted an evening on this, letterboxd looks good, but it feels really clumsy to use.
Yeah, I don't think I'll bother unless they clarify what is meant by "limited time" and even then I'm not sure I need to keep my checks synced on 4 different sites - IMDb, Criticker, iCM and letterbox.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Limited time probably means a few weeks, a month or two at most, to get the people leaving imdb. I doubt they'll change something that was previously a premium feature to free permanently.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2017, 5:50 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 15 2017, 10:48:05 AM wrote:Limited time probably means a few weeks, a month or two at most, to get the people leaving imdb. I doubt they'll change something that was previously a premium feature to free permanently.
It's their loss not mine :) And honestly, 1900 titles chunks? Why is it that all other sites can accept full .csv? Seems like sloppy work.
Last edited by bal3x on February 15th, 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 15th, 2017, 6:48 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 14 2017, 11:25:55 PM wrote:Hmm, I'll use those Paul Clipson films to test then. I certainly don't feel like scrolling through batches of 1000 films to figure out what's missing.

Edit: Hmm, it doesn't tell you what's misisng, but the blank spot does say "No match found." So I guess it's doable if I don't have too many missing films. We'll see what happens in a couple of hours when I finish fixing up my watch dates into the format they want.
Huh? If you check in the narrow bar above the "No match found" on the left-hand side, doesn't it mention the missing title? It's not obvious at all, but it's near the big yellow warning sign.

I'm assuming we're still talking about IMDB ratings import? Or is it list import (which I haven't done at all)?
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Knaldskalle on Feb 15 2017, 11:48:26 AM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 14 2017, 11:25:55 PM wrote:Hmm, I'll use those Paul Clipson films to test then. I certainly don't feel like scrolling through batches of 1000 films to figure out what's missing.

Huh? If you check in the narrow bar above the "No match found" on the left-hand side, doesn't it mention the missing title? It's not obvious at all, but it's near the big yellow warning sign.

I'm assuming we're still talking about IMDB ratings import? Or is it list import (which I haven't done at all)?
I used a list import.
I did this for two reasons. First I wanted to import all my criticker reviews, and second I wanted to avoid false positives because their matching algorithm while quite strong, is far from perfect.
I created a csv with Rating, imdbID, watch date and review.

As is I've got 11 films with ratings but no date attached, which means these were bad imports from when I created the account four years ago and they didn't have imdb ids in their db. As far as I can find there's no way to filter these on site.
Edit: I exported and found out what those 11 films are. They're films that were deleted from the letterboxd database for various reasons, some understandable, others not. Some are back in the database, but disassociated from my rating because letterboxd doesn't care about consistency, I guess. No that's not it. It's films deleted from tmdb but not deleted on letterboxd, and so don't have imdb ids associated.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on February 15th, 2017, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2017, 8:52 pm

tommy_leazaq on Feb 15 2017, 12:17:05 AM wrote:This is a good news. Their design is really nice.

You have to remove the rating first, and then you can deselect the watched marker.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 16th, 2017, 6:14 am

Unless I'm blind I see no way for me to remove ratings. You don't have to be a pro member to do it, do you? I can change it, but not delete it. I thought maybe if I submit a review and then delete the review the rating will be deleted too. Well, I could delete the review, but the rating still stays. And now in addition to the rating the film has also be marked as watched thanks to my review, and I can't delete that because I have to delete the rating first...
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 16th, 2017, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

RBG

Post by RBG » February 16th, 2017, 6:25 am

go to 'edit this entry' then 'delete this entry.' it will still be marked as watched but you can remove that then using the 'eye' symbol

it is not very intuitive. took me awhile to figure out the diary thing too :P
Last edited by RBG on February 16th, 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 16th, 2017, 6:58 am

RBG on Feb 15 2017, 11:25:09 PM wrote:go to 'edit this entry' then 'delete this entry.' it will still be marked as watched but you can remove that then using the 'eye' symbol

it is not very intuitive. took me awhile to figure out the diary thing too :P
I don't see a "edit this entry".
ScreenshotShow
dream realityImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 16th, 2017, 6:59 am

If you hover over the rating stars on a movie page and move the mouse to the left an x will appear, click it and it deletes the rating. You then can click the eye icon to delete the "watch"

Such an annoying interface for everything.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 16th, 2017, 7:36 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 15 2017, 11:59:54 PM wrote:If you hover over the rating stars on a movie page and move the mouse to the left an x will appear, click it and it deletes the rating. You then can click the eye icon to delete the "watch"

Such an annoying interface for everything.
Wow, one really needs to be told about that. Most Hidden DVD & Blu-Ray Easter Eggs are easier to find than this x that "will appear if you hover over the ratings and move the cursor all the way to the left beyond the edge of the ratings".

Thanks.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 16th, 2017, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 16th, 2017, 12:04 pm

It's actually somewhat similar to the IMDb current system, you only have to click on it there instead of hovering, but indeed such basic functions should be more intuitive.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm

bal3x on Feb 16 2017, 05:04:06 AM wrote:It's actually somewhat similar to the IMDb current system, you only have to click on it there instead of hovering, but indeed such basic functions should be more intuitive.
I'm not using the contemporary IMDb page layout (I'm still using reference view because I think the "new" layout is horrible) but that IMDb layout shows the x on the left all the time as soon as you try to rate the title, it already shows before you have even rated it, that's a wholly different thing, there is no way to overlook it or to not know what it means. Maybe letterboxd presupposes that you are familiar with this IMDb layout and that users instinctively try to look for that x to the left of the stars.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » February 16th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Tarris1 on Feb 15 2017, 02:27:38 AM wrote:

Go to the movie's page, click on logged and then "edit this entry". A popup will appear that will let you delete the entry
It worked. Thanks :)

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 16th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 16 2017, 05:17:47 AM wrote:
bal3x on Feb 16 2017, 05:04:06 AM wrote:It's actually somewhat similar to the IMDb current system, you only have to click on it there instead of hovering, but indeed such basic functions should be more intuitive.
I'm not using the contemporary IMDb page layout (I'm still using reference view because I think the "new" layout is horrible) but that IMDb layout shows the x on the left all the time as soon as you try to rate the title, it already shows before you have even rated it, that's a wholly different thing, there is no way to overlook it or to not know what it means. Maybe letterboxd presupposes that you are familiar with this IMDb layout and that users instinctively try to look for that x to the left of the stars.
Yep, I think it's a wrong "presupposition" :lol: