Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 66 released Dec 30th: Is Hype Overhyped?)
Podcast: Talking Images (Special Episode released Jan 8th: The Experiments of Michael Snow)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule, Match 1B (Feb 5th), Match 1C (Feb 26th)
Polls: 1992 (Results), Directors (Results), Sweden (Results), China (Feb 7th), 1931 (Feb 25th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, France, New Releases
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Turkey and Caucasus Challenge (Official, December 2022)

gunnar

Turkey and Caucasus Challenge (Official, December 2022)

Post by gunnar »

GOAL

Watch (and discuss, and rate) films from Turkey and the nations of the Caucasus.

Challenge runs from December 1st, 2022 - December 31st, 2022 in your local time zone

ELIGIBLE COUNTRIES

Armenia
Azerbaijan
Georgia
Turkey

MORE DETAILS ABOUT ELIGIBILITY - mostly written by sol, thanks

For films to qualify for this Challenge, they need to have an eligible country listed as a production country on the film's IMDb page (Soviet productions aside). If you've seen something that you strongly believe should be eligible and isn't, please submit a correction to IMDb and you can include the film as soon as IMDb accepts your correction. Films by ex-pat directors are not eligible unless they meet the IMDb country listing requirement. I know it isn't ideal that I have put in hard and fast rules like this, but you wouldn't believe some of the random stuff that participants have tried to include in previous years without such guidelines in place.

Soviet Union
The Caucasus nations were part of the former Soviet Union and these films tend to be listed as USSR only on IMDb. For the purposes of this challenge, you can include any such films, but when listing them you must specify which modern day country they belong to. USSR on its own is not an eligible country for this challenge. That said, we have had many USSR/Russian challenges over the past ten years in which Soviet Era films from Caucasus nations were eligible, so I would encourage you to explore modern output from these countries during this challenge rather than the same films that have been eligible during the past USSR Challenges.

Co-Productions
A number of films may be co-productions with non-eligible countries. Please use some common sense to determine whether these films really represent Turkey or Caucasus cinema. As a general guide, a film that has both France and Turkey as production countries but which is filmed in Turkish with an Turkish cast and crew is eligible; a film that has Armenia listed as a third production but is filmed in English with a mostly Anglophonic cast and crew isn't eligible. I am happy to provide advice for any borderline cases. In most cases, co-productions are eligible unless the involvement of the listed production country is insignificant.

RULES
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.
- Do not edit your posts to add new watches, just create a new one.
- Try to give an indication of how much you liked/disliked your watchings (reviews, comments, ratings,...)
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- English Title (year, Country) is the preferred format or English title/Original Title (year, Country) if you prefer. This will help me for tracking purposes and for the leaderboard. Films without a country will not be counted.

OFFICIAL LISTS

Turkey:
Hürriyet's The 100 Best Movies of Turkish Cinema

UNOFFICIAL LISTS

Armenia:
Cinema of Hayastan (Armenia) All lists in one (Armoreska)

Azerbaijan:
Cinema of Azerbaijan. All lists in one (Armoreska)

Georgia:
Tbilisi Intermedia's 12 Best Georgian Movies of All Time
Available online with English subtitles: Georgia (Melvelet)
Cinema of Sakartvelo (aka Georgia, Gruzia). All lists in one (Armoreska)

Turkey:
Top 100 Turkish movies by Sinema Magazine
Turkish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (through 2012)
The Disregarded Movies of Turkish Cinema (flavo5000)

More lists welcomed and needed! I will add more as I find them or am directed to them.

Rank Participant Total Armenia Azerbaijan Georgia Turkey
1 sol 27 2 2 12 11
2 RogerTheMovieManiac88 26 4.4 14 7.6 -
3 gunnar 17 - - - 17
4 flavo5000 15 - - - 15
5 jdidaco 12 5 2 3 2
6 peeptoad 4 1 1 1 1
7 blocho 3 - - 2 1
8 frbrown 2 - - - 2
8 magnusbernhardsen 2 - - 2 -
8 ororama 2 - - 1 1
11 DudeLanez 1 - - - 1
11 Mario Gaborović 1 - - 1 -
11 maxwelldeux 1 - - - 1
11 toromash 1 - - - 1
11 zzzorf 1 1 - - -
Total 115 13.4 19 29.6 53
Last edited by gunnar on January 2nd, 2023, 3:08 am, edited 17 times in total.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Thanks for hosting, gunnar. I'm yet to see an Armenian or Azerbaijani film so far this year, so I'll be clocking at least two viewings here (and I have already selected two films to meet that goal). Beyond that, who knows? Maybe I'll try to get something in each column, perhaps I'll try to gain my first check on the Hürriyet list, though I do kinda like the weirdness of being a top 100 user on iCM while having no checks on one of the 218 Official Lists.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I need 16 films for Top 500 on the Hürriyet list so I'm going to go for that. I may watch a few extra. I've seen 2 films from Georgia and 1 film from Azerbaijan. Maybe I'll look for one from Armenia as well.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Here's another unofficial list for the OP: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+ ... flavo5000/
If people want to double up with the Cult/Grindhouse challenge.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

flavo5000 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 10:53 pm Here's another unofficial list for the OP: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+ ... flavo5000/
If people want to double up with the Cult/Grindhouse challenge.
Added, thanks.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

If anyone is looking for any inspiration for these countries here are my personal lists for each one ranking the movies I've seen. (There may be one or two missing as I'm about 2 months behind updating these lists)

Armenian Movies Ranked https://boxd.it/eFx2I
Azerbaijani Movies Ranked https://boxd.it/eHFTO
Georgian Movies Ranked https://boxd.it/eVPPA
Turkish Movies Ranked https://boxd.it/fcKiq
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

So I went for zzzorf's highest rated film from Armenia, not realising that he only gave it one star. :blink: And rightly so. :(

1. I'm Going to Change My Name (2012) Armenia

An aimless teenager wanders around town in between taking videos on her phone and browsing internet chat rooms here. She squirts drinking fountain water and hangs upside down next to passing trains, but what it all means is vague beyond the basic idea that that she is bored. The film's best parts are when is browsing online where we get to see her entire screen and feel her anxiety as others reply to her in their chats, then suddenly leave. Add into the mix many shots that are zoomed-in to the point of blurriness and this is tough film to recommend, even more so than the director's earlier The Lighthouse.

For those looking to see something better from Armenia, I would recommend Lork or Poker AM instead.
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Yeah, unfortunately I forgot to point out that not everything is good, it was a ranking of everything I had seen from each country. This movie was ranked 1 of 1, I really believe the next movie I see from Armenia will easily eclipse it. That movie has its audience but I really believe me and you are not that audience. Of the 4 countries I really believe Georgia is the better one to choose movies from, mainly due to me researching it more due to managing it last World Cup. In fact if you don't mind, I recommend you watch The Enemies if you haven't already, I think you may like it. I just want to make up for making you watch that movie and I would have to say by now you would have watched my main go to's for Georgia since they were my first two picks last time and have been both included in the 500<400 (or at least the 1000<400 in one case I can't actually remember)
magnusbernhardsen

Post by magnusbernhardsen »

1. Taming the Garden 2021, Georgia

Incredible images of the process of filling the former Georgian PM Ivanishvili's grden with old trees from all over Georgia. The trees moving slowly on roads during the night, or being shipped seaways. It is a bit to artyfarty, with repetitions of the same images (I thought I had bumped into the remote and rewound the film at one point). But really, you should see this.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

zzzorf wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:40 am I really believe Georgia is the better one to choose movies from, mainly due to me researching it more due to managing it last World Cup. In fact if you don't mind, I recommend you watch The Enemies if you haven't already, I think you may like it.
Thanks for the rec. The Enemies is streaming on Tubi, so it's certainly an option to watch it this month, though I haven't worked out if I am going to see anything from Sakartvelo yet since it's already crossed off my 2022 Letterboxd map. Something to consider for sure, however, if/when I get bored with the Documentary challenge.
Long live the new flesh!
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

01. Khanuma (1926) - Georgia
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
2. The Island Within (2020) Azerbaijan

This drama about an overweight, bespectacled chess grandmaster with no social lifebegins well. There is a lot to like in the ridiculousness of how he is made to pose for absurd photographs, as well as how unemotional he is amid the fuss made over him. This is, of course, just a façade, and the film is sadly at its weakest when exploring what lies beneath. The film barely taps into any pressure he feels or life disappointment as the film transitions to him leaving home without notice. Orkhan Ata certainly has the right look, but barely ever uttering a word, it becomes frustrating to second-guess his feelings.

For those looking to see something better from Azerbaijan, I would recommend The Bra or Aporia instead.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
3. The Enemies (2017) Georgia

Trapped in the rubble of a fallen building in an abandoned town, a young soldier discovers an elderly civilian who had been hiding inside his basement in this Georgian drama. Both actors deliver well in what is essentially a two person show here and there in some great tension early on as the soldier wakes up with his hands bound by the old man (who sees him as an enemy due to their cultural differences). For the most part though, the film is just one lengthy conversation in which the characters come to foreseeable conclusions that they insist in spelling out in clunky dialogue, stating "we're so identical", etc.

So, I didn't totally love this one, but it's easily the best of the three Caucasian films that I have seen so far this month.
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Well I tried to give you an enjoyable recommendation Sol but I didn't quite get there. I would have went with In Bloom but that is already been pushed here before so I went with this one figuring you had seen it.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

It's okay; I didn't dislike The Enemies. The film is probably good enough to make the lower ranks of my future ballot for Ferg's eventual Caucasus poll, but I did not quite like it enough to place it on my 500<400 ballot.

It seems that there are actually a few Sakartvelo films on the current 500<400 list that I haven't seen. I might try to seek those out next. In Bloom is a possibility for a film to track down too.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Speaking of which:
Spoiler
4. Corn Island (2014) Georgia

Without a single of dialogue for twenty minutes, and little afterwards, this drama very visually spins a tale of an old man growing corn in an island in the middle of a river. It is with the entrance of his granddaughter that the film really amps up though. Every so often they are passed by boating soldiers who take an increasing interest in her while she begins to explore her sexuality. Indeed, the most riveting scenes have her nervously looking on at the soldiers, unsure how react to being ogled. The cyclic ending is pretty cool too, really highlighting how nature will do its thing regardless of human intervention.

Will probably add this to my 500<400 ballot when I update it a little later.
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

This was the second movie I used for Georgia last World Cup. Again I'm surprised you hadn't seen it as I skipped over it to give you The Enemies, just shows I should look before assuming. Hopefully with you adding it into your ballot it may rise in the countdown to the top 100.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
5. Av: The Hunt (2020) Turkey

Hunted by her family who wish to murder her as an honour killing, a young woman hides in a nearby forest here. While generally intense and exciting, the whole thing always feels in questionable taste given that honour killings are a very real thing and yet the film plays out as a mere Most Dangerous Game variant. The biggest drawback though is how massively underdeveloped her family members are. We learn almost nothing about them, whether they have any reservations about hunting her and how they feel about the stigma that would linger should they let her live. Some nice neon near the end though.
Long live the new flesh!
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Thank you for hosting, gunnar!

1. Altin Çocuk (Golden Boy, Memduh Ün (& Ray Bowman & André Hunebelle), 1966) 6.5/10 (Turkey)
2. Intikam Melegi/Kadin Hamlet (The Angel of Vengeance - The Female Hamlet, Metin Erksan, 1976) 8/10 (Turkey)

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
6. And Then We Danced (2019) Georgia

First time actor Levan Gelbakhiani is excellent in the lead role here with an amazing smile that just gets broader and broader as his secret gay romance takes off. The film also boasts some fantastic choreography with an especially memorable final dance routine. As a narrative though, the film only ever treads familiar beats with the Caucasus setting only really distinguishing it from Call Me By Your Name and other films of its ilk. All of the lustful looks and stares are great though and there is a sensational scene shot in insane yellow lighting as he dons a wig and performs a topless private dance (see above).
Long live the new flesh!
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Six days into the challenge and we are off to a pretty slow start with only 5 participants and 12 films watched so far. Still, thanks to everybody who is participating. It looks like sol is going to end up dominating the challenge. I wonder how many times he can complete the four country cycle. How many worthy films are there to watch from Armenia and Azerbaijan? I guess we'll find out.

1 - Bal (Honey) (2010) (Turkey) - 7.5/10 - Yusuf is a 6 year old boy with a stutter that makes him self-conscious. His father is a beekeeper who goes missing shortly after his bees disappear. There isn't a lot of talking in the film, but there are some really nice nature scenes plus a number of scenes in Yusuf's classroom. I enjoyed it.

2 - Climates (2006) (Turkey) - 6.5/10 - Isa is a professor who is on vacation with his girlfriend when he decides to break up with her. They go their separate ways, but later Isa tries to get back together with her. The movie was okay, but not really all that interesting much of the time.

I need 14 more films from Turkey to reach the Top 500 so that is my initial goal. After that, maybe I'll explore a couple of films from the other countries or continue with more films from Turkey. I've also got quite a few lined up for the Documentary and Cult/Grindhouse challenges so we'll see how much time I have.
Last edited by gunnar on December 10th, 2022, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

gunnar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:25 am I wonder how many times he can complete the four country cycle. How many worthy films are there to watch from Armenia and Azerbaijan?
I'd say none. Or at least there's almost nothing available with English subtitles that looks interesting and which I haven't yet seen. I could go through some Armenian and Azerbaijani revisions, or I could beg others for help, but I think it will be principally a Georgian and Turkish Challenge for me, and while the cinema of Sakartvelo is far more extensive than the rest of the Caucasus, I am close to exhausting the available subbed films from there too without dipping into rewatches.

As for dominating the challenge, I don't know, it's early days. Hopefully Roger will provide an update about what he has seen shortly so that I have a better idea of how to pace myself, but I don't really see myself fitting in more than one movie per day for the month, or at least until school breaks up for the Christmas holidays, maybe then I can try for two per day to stay ahead of Roger and/or yourself.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Speaking of dipping into rewatches for Sakartvelo:
Spoiler
7. Landmine Goes Click (2015) REVISION Georgia

This is an interesting to film to revisit knowing everything to come. Stressful as the first two thirds are with the filmmakers milking the tension of his being unable to move for all that it is worth, it is in the final third that the movie really comes alive with some acute table turning and a very strong performance by Sterling Knight. The ending is especially powerful with the camera almost entirely lingering on his face, and never showing anybody else's face even when it does briefly cut away. The first two thirds are a bit ho-hum and repetitive with questionable character motivation, the final 35 minutes are a blast.
Long live the new flesh!
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

sol wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:53 am As for dominating the challenge, I don't know, it's early days. Hopefully Roger will provide an update about what he has seen shortly so that I have a better idea of how to pace myself, but I don't really see myself fitting in more than one movie per day for the month, or at least until school breaks up for the Christmas holidays, maybe then I can try for two per day to stay ahead of Roger and/or yourself.
You shouldn't have any problem staying ahead of me. I need a score of 16 to reach the top 500 on the Hürriyet list. I may do a couple of extra just to cement it, but the rest of my time will be spent on the other challenges as I work to get bronzes or Top 500 spots on other lists.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

sol wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:53 am
gunnar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:25 am I wonder how many times he can complete the four country cycle. How many worthy films are there to watch from Armenia and Azerbaijan?
I'd say none. Or at least there's almost nothing available with English subtitles that looks interesting and which I haven't yet seen. I could go through some Armenian and Azerbaijani revisions, or I could beg others for help, but I think it will be principally a Georgian and Turkish Challenge for me, and while the cinema of Sakartvelo is far more extensive than the rest of the Caucasus, I am close to exhausting the available subbed films from there too without dipping into rewatches.

As for dominating the challenge, I don't know, it's early days. Hopefully Roger will provide an update about what he has seen shortly so that I have a better idea of how to pace myself, but I don't really see myself fitting in more than one movie per day for the month, or at least until school breaks up for the Christmas holidays, maybe then I can try for two per day to stay ahead of Roger and/or yourself.
I had had hopes before the month of watching 1 film a day for this challenge but due to a host of family-related reasons I don't think I'll be able to keep to that. I might aim for 20 or thereabouts, but we'll see...

I do have a batch of three or four from this opening week of December. I'll post them soon.
That's all, folks!
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

1. Uzak/ Distant (Turkey, 2002) 7+
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

3 - Distant (2002) (Turkey) - 6/10 - A photographer in Istanbul has a distant relative arrive in town to stay with him for a while. The two don't have much in common other than each leads a pretty boring life. I didn't find the film to be all that interesting. Lots of periods of just sitting around not doing much.

4 - Three Monkeys (2008) (Turkey) - 7/10 - A wealthy man hits a pedestrian while driving at night. He calls the man that usually drives for him and gets him to take the blame and subsequent jail term in exchange for money. However, a lot can happen while he is away. I liked this a little more than Climates and Distant.

Spoiler
1 - Bal (Honey) (2010) - 7.5/10
2 - Climates (2006) - 6.5/10
Last edited by gunnar on December 10th, 2022, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:51 pm I had had hopes before the month of watching 1 film a day for this challenge but due to a host of family-related reasons I don't think I'll be able to keep to that. I might aim for 20 or thereabouts, but we'll see...

I do have a batch of three or four from this opening week of December. I'll post them soon.
Thanks, Roger. It will be interesting to see what you have watched; I already tried searching for jdidaco's recent watches, but alas they are not readily available with subtitles.
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

If you are looking for ideas sol I am happy to keep giving suggestions of my limited viewing of these countries which I know you can find easily. Though I haven't done so just because you have already watched a few because of me and I don't want to take up to much of your time stroking my low ego.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Thanks; I have looked through your lists and I can already reveal that I will definitely be giving Mustang a go this month. My comment was directed specifically at Roger because he has sourced some pretty rare and interesting Azerbaijani and Armenian films in previous challenges, but I will definitely give you a bell if I run out of ideas of things to watch.

Still looking for you to log your first watch here, by the way. :D Same thing applies; I'll research the availability of anything that looks interesting that you (or others) watch and post here. :thumbsup:
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Yeah unfortunately in the end I will be lucky to even participate. I have gone from 60-80 movies a month to 20 the last few because of my new job. Take out the few that are watches with my wife only leaves me with only 12-15. My main movie time I get at the moment is catching up with the festival movies I haven't seen (still have like 8 of the 50 to watch) and the rest of the month will be starting the World Cup. The only time I really get to choose a movie is after work on my phone so it has to be streaming and takes me like a week to watch because I only get say no more than 20 minutes before I start to pass out. For this reason I haven't been involved in a challenge for the last few months. Granted I am up to choosing a new movie on my phone so maybe I might find a movie for this particular challenge.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

1. Korkusuz a.k.a. Rampage (Çetin Inanç, 1986) Turkey

I think the Hurriyet list is my worst ranked list out of all of them (#413). I may try to work in a couple this month...
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
8. Hababam Sinifi (1975) Turkey

Some of the jokes here are clearly lost in translation (one student being told he lost points for missing commas leads to fits of laughter), but most of the humour transcends the language divide. Of particular note are the students' insanely complex cheating methods and their constant distracting of a teacher from handing out tests. The film does not look especially good though with lots of jerky and unsteady handheld shots and zooms, but the biggest drawback for me was how interchangeable the students feel. There is ample zaniness for sure, like a teacher leaping across his students' desk to prevent cheating!

Good pick for my first check on the Official Turkish list. :ICM: And now after almost six years on iCM, I finally have at least one check in every toplist. ^_^
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
9. Mustang (2015) Turkey

In an inspired move, this is told from the point-of-view of the youngest sister, forced to continually watch on, knowing that she will soon be married off too like her older sisters despite being prepubescent. Güneş Nezihe Şensoy is absolutely radiant in the lead role; her voiceover narration is sometimes irksome, but she hits every single emotional note perfectly. Younger and more naive than her sisters, she also brings a lingering sense of hope as opposed to her more worldly sisters who are pretty much resigned to their fate. Where the film really gets electric though in its final half-hour as GNS starts to rebel.
Long live the new flesh!
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

5 - My Prostitute Love / Vesikalı Yarim (1968) (Turkey) - 7.5/10 - Halil is a fruit seller who goes to a night club with some friends. While there, he meets and falls for Sabiha, a woman who works at the club as a hostess. She falls for Halil as well, but there are problems. The music was good an the acting was also good.

6 - Three Friends / Üç Arkadaş (1958) (Turkey) - 7.5/10 - In this Turkish version of City Lights, three friends live together in a large abandoned home. They are poor, but eke out a living shining shoes, taking photographs, etc. They come upon a blind girl on the street and take her in and care for her. One of the men falls for her and sets out to get the money to fix her sight. I thought it was pretty well acted and was entertaining.

7 - Diyet (1974) (Turkey) - 6.5/10 - The film starts with an accident in a factory and attempts to unionize the labor for better wages and working conditions. Then there is a romance as well. I thought the film started out fairly well, but didn't quite live up to the promise it showed. It wasn't bad, though.

Spoiler
1 - Bal (Honey) (2010) (Turkey)- 7.5/10
2 - Climates (2006) (Turkey) - 6.5/10
3 - Distant (2002) (Turkey) - 6/10
4 - Three Monkeys (2008 (Turkey)) - 7/10
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

8 - The Mirror / Der Spiegel (1984) (Turkey) - 5/10 - A villager takes revenge when his landlord's son tries to woo his wife. This had a negative effect on all involved.

Spoiler
1 - Bal (Honey) (2010) (Turkey)- 7.5/10
2 - Climates (2006) (Turkey) - 6.5/10
3 - Distant (2002) (Turkey) - 6/10
4 - Three Monkeys (2008 (Turkey)) - 7/10
5 - My Prostitute Love / Vesikalı Yarim (1968) (Turkey) - 7.5/10
6 - Three Friends / Üç Arkadaş (1958) (Turkey) - 7.5/10
7 - Diyet (1974) (Turkey) - 6.5/10
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
9. Mustang (2015) Turkey
10. Pirosmani (1969) Georgia

This has been praised for its rather quiet approach with Pirosmani portrayed as more of an everyman than a tortured artist, largely just following his day-to-day life. This daringness to be different though resulted in a rather distancing watch for me since I entered the film with little knowledge of Pirosmani's life and work. For the most part, he seemed to come off as a weirdly unemotional individual, only briefly concerned about what others think about him towards the end of the movie. There are also many scenes of him just sitting around and staring, which are intended to reflect his thought process, I guess.
Long live the new flesh!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

2. Susuz Yaz a.k.a. Dry Summer (Metin Erksan, 1963) Turkey
Spoiler
1. Korkusuz a.k.a. Rampage (Çetin Inanç, 1986) Turkey
2. Susuz Yaz a.k.a. Dry Summer (Metin Erksan, 1963) Turkey
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
9. Mustang (2015) Turkey
10. Pirosmani (1969) Georgia
11. Kedi (2016) Turkey

This features some great tracking shots that follow cats down streets and footpaths, and the felines themselves look magnificent. The film never fully explores the idea of Istanbul not being the same without its cats though. The interviewees are also a little too normal (for lack of a better word). After all, documentaries about the relationships between humans and animals are most interesting when the humans involved are a little strange or eccentric. Some interviewees say the occasional outlandish thing, but we mostly just see them feeding and patting the cats in question, which frankly gets a bit repetitive.
Long live the new flesh!
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

2. Aporia (Azerbaijan, 2019) 6+
Spoiler
1. Uzak/ Distant (Turkey, 2002) 7+