Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 56 released August 15th: Does Hollywood Have an Accent Problem?)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Brazil (Results), Unofficial Checks (Results), Performers (Aug 14th), 1971 (Aug 24th), Philippines (Aug 31st), Music Videos (Sep 3rd), Senegal (Sep 30th)
Challenges: <400, Russia/USSR, One Film Each
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Unofficial Movies Challenge (Official, July 2022)

Lammetje
Donator

Unofficial Movies Challenge (Official, July 2022)

Post by Lammetje »

Unofficial Challenge

For many of us, iCM has been a godsend. Rather than spending hours trying to work out what to watch from thousands of movies out there, the site provides 218 (and counting) reputable lists to work on. What's more, the site ranks you against other users depending on the number of films you have checked from those 218 Official Lists, and gives you imaginary metal for completing 50, 75, 90 and 100% of any given list. The downside of this is that, since joining iCM, some users have prioritized watching films on at least one Official List, thus neglecting films on zero Official Lists. In other words: they have turned into Bohemian tarts.

This is the challenge where we aim to reverse that trend and try to encourage everyone to think outside the square and check out all the promising films out there that are currently on no Official Lists. As the massive number of films mentioned in last year's Unofficial poll proved, there is a wealth of movies out there that many of us believe to be great, Official Status or not. And this is the month to explore those titles. Who knows what you might find? Maybe something worth nominating for this year's 500<400 poll, next year's DTC exercise or the next World Cup? So go out, explore and report to back to us with what is out there, worthwhile and which we may have missed due to Unofficial status. :)
(mostly stolen from Sol)

Goal
Watch as many Unofficial movies as you can, or want, from July 1st, 2022 to July 31st, 2022 your time.

What is an Unofficial film?
The movie must be on zero Official Lists on iCheckMovies at the time that you watch it. If a film turns Official during the month, you can only include it if you saw it before it became Official.

Rules
- Feature length (40+ minutes) narrative, documentary and experimental films are eligible for this Challenge.
- TV movies and miniseries (if watched in their entirety) are eligible for this Challenge, but are only worth 1 point.
- TV episodes, individual miniseries episodes, music videos and short films are not eligible for this Challenge.
- Do not edit your posts to add new watches; instead, create a new post.
- Please include the year of release for each entry.
- Films must be watched on single speed (not sped-up).
- Films must be watched one at a time (no two or more screens at once).
- Films must be watched in their entirety in order to be included.

Official Lists
None, duh! But we do have this Top 250 from two years ago. Note: a fair few of these entries are not unofficial anymore - which makes them ineligible for this challenge.

Leaderboard
PositionParticipantScore
1PUNQ182
2gunnar140
3flavo5000117
4jdidaco80
4sol80
6burneyfan62
7kongs_speech56
8ororama46
9magnusbernhardsen45
10blocho39
11RolandKirkSunglasses36
11Silga36
13RogerTheMovieManiac8835
14Fergenaprido32
15VincentPrice31
16maxwelldeux30
17vortexsurfer27
18Lonewolf200325
19zzzorf23
20cinephage22
21frbrown19
22peeptoad16
23AB53715
24OldAle112
25Lammetje7
26DudeLanez6
273eyes5
28Hunziker4

DecadeCount
1910s7
1920s33
1930s110
1940s125
1950s124
1960s104
1970s106
1980s106
1990s67
2000s81
2010s192
2020s173
Last edited by Lammetje on August 6th, 2022, 10:09 am, edited 11 times in total.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Please let me know if anything is incorrect or incomplete. I haven't hosted in ages.

Also, why were shorts ineligible in previous editions? Is it okay if I use the same rule?

maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Lammetje wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:40 pm they have turned into Bohemian tarts.
I don't know what this means, but the phrase has a certain zest.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lammetje wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:40 pm they have turned into Bohemian tarts.
:poshclap:
blocho wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:58 pm I don't know what this means, but the phrase has a certain zest.
It's the very thing we always feared to become ..
Spoiler
a check whore.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Now it all makes sense.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Wait, there are unofficial films? What? Why?
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

:lol:
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I'm in and have been looking forward to this challenge. I've got over 200 Academy Award nominees (and a few non-nominees) lined up and hope to get through at least 50-60% of them.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

I'm in! I won't go out of my way to watch anything for this challenge; I'll just record whatever non-Official-List films I watch in July.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

It starts! First in too it seems. :ermm:

1. See for Me (2021)

When the home she is house-sitting is broken into, a blind woman must rely on an app that connects visually impaired individuals with seeing companions in this thriller. With heavy reliance on the app, we get limited Don't Breathe stuff with her outwitting the burglars in the dark. Also, walking around the house with the glowing white screen of her phone illuminating her face, she can't really hide. Good performances though and nicely not straightforward heroine.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

1. Northern Pursuit-1943: 8/10
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
1. See for Me (2021)
2. Wheat Soup (1987)

A post-apocalyptic drama from Saskatchewan that follows a young man who decides to leave the family farm for the first time after his father's death. His anxieties are captured well in an opening anvil nightmare. For the most part though, the film just consists of characters sitting around and talking, often with their backs to the camera. The dad's funeral attaches curious religious significance to wheat, but this is generally more ideas-packed than cinematic.
Long live the new flesh!
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

01. Los sobrevivientes a.k.a. The Survivors -- Gutiérrez Alea, 1979 -- 6.5/10

Cuban film with a very Buñuelian feel in which a wealthy Cuban clan decides to barricade itself on its compound in order to "outlast" Castro's revolution. There are some very good moments, but it feels clunky once in a while, lacking Buñuel's genius of finesse. For an even better film by Gutiérrez Alea, I'd suggest La muerte de un burócrata (a.k.a. Death of a Bureaucrat, 1966).
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
1. See for Me (2021)
2. Wheat Soup (1987)
3. House of Luk (2001)

This is not easy to get a grip on the film at first at it jumps between three different restaurant patrons. As the film wears on though, we get more under the three customers' skins, with Dan Lalande coming off as the best as a balding salesman who ups his confidence with a toupee. The film never quite finds the right balance between comedy and drama (a masturbating monkey and a kicked dog are more odd than funny) but this is fairly likeable overall.
Long live the new flesh!
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Spoiler
02. Birth of the Blues -- Schertzinger, 1941 -- 4.5/10

So problematic. I know it's supposed to be based on a real white band that was one of the first to introduce Dixieland Jazz to white audiences, but titling the whole mess The Birth of the Blues is just stupid, even with the awkward, half-handed attempt it makes to inform its viewers that the music originated with African Americans. The cast is about as white as you can get -- Bing Crosby, Mary Martin, and Brian Donlevy -- and the only African-American given a chance to do any singing is famed soprano Ruby Elzy. The music is pretty good (that's how the film managed to get its 4.5 points!), but there are soooooo many cringeworthy moments. The "blues" in the title is also misleading -- most of the music in this film is not blues at all, but contemporary big band/swing a la Benny Goodman.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lammetje wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:49 pm Please let me know if anything is incorrect or incomplete. I haven't hosted in ages.

Also, why were shorts ineligible in previous editions? Is it okay if I use the same rule?
Looks good all. Maybe you could add a link to the Unofficial poll list, where it is mentioned in the OP. Here is the link https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... genaprido/

Btw, there will be a new edition held this month
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 4:50 pm
Lammetje wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:49 pm Please let me know if anything is incorrect or incomplete. I haven't hosted in ages.

Looks good all. Maybe you could add a link to the Unofficial poll list, where it is mentioned in the OP. Here is the link https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... genaprido/

Btw, there will be a new edition held this month
Done, thanks. :)

More memorable quotes
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

1 - The Captain's Paradise (1953) - 6.5/10 - Alec Guinness is the captain of a ship that carries passengers and cargo to various ports in the Mediterranean. He has a wife in Gibralter and a mistress in another port. He's happy with the situation and looks to his wife for a nice home and the mistress for adventure and spice. This is a comedy, but I didn't think it was really all that funny and the story is pretty blah. It's not bad, but it's not up to many of the other movies that Guinness starred in during the 1950s.

2 - Defiance (2008) - 7/10 - Daniel Crag stars as a freedom fighter who escapes from the Nazis in Poland during WWII along with his brothers. They join with Soviet fighters to battle the Nazis and also help rescue a number of Jewish refugees in Poland. There is plenty of action and some infighting along the way. It doesn't rise to greatness, but is perfectly serviceable for what it is.

3 - The Duchess (2008) - 7/10 - This biopic stars Keira Knightley as Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire in the late 1700s. She gets married at a young age and found the marriage to be very unsatisfying. Her husband (Ralph Fiennes) seemed incapable of loving her and saw her as a means to an heir. He also had numerous affairs and was not shy about them. The costumes and music were very good. Knightley was decent, but I found the story a bit dull.

4 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966) - 6/10 - Zero Mostel stars as a Roman slave who tries to help his master woo the girl next door so that he can gain his freedom. I didn't really like most of the film, but there were enough funny bits (especially near the end) to keep it from being a waste of time. Buster Keaton has a small part in his last film role

5 - Anna Karenina (2012) - 6/10 - Keira Knightley stars as the title character in this adaptation of the Tolstoy novel. The costumes, cinematography, and music are all pretty good. I thought the story was not all that interesting as presented here.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

01) Way Out Ahead of Us (2022, Rob Rice) - 4/5
02) Keep It for Yourself (1991, Claire Denis) - 4/5
03) The Severing (2022, Mark Pellington) - 1.5/5
Spoiler

🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
1. See for Me (2021)
2. Wheat Soup (1987)
3. House of Luk (2001)
4. Homewrecker (2019)

More than your average psycho thriller, this looks at white lies and the dangers insincere niceness, focusing on a lonely woman who spikes her houseguest's drink with truth serum. The performances are excellent and the the central dynamic rocks with the victim's undoing being her inability to tell the truth before her drink is spiked. As a comedy the film never feels quite as funny as it could have been, but this is an amazing look at discomfort around others.
Long live the new flesh!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

1. 61* (2001)
A gauzy sports drama about the 1961 season of Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. It rises a tiny bit above the very low standards of the genre, perhaps only because its focus on record-setting rather than the outcome of a game allows it to avoid a lot of cliches. Unfortunately, it suffers from excessive sentimentality and a surfeit of expository dialogue (there’s a hilariously obvious sequence at the beginning that’s clearly meant to introduce non-fans to the concept of switch hitting). This movie is perhaps most notable for the extraordinary number of actors who fall into the category of “that guy” — the supporting player you recognize from other movies even if you don’t know their name. In the first ten minutes of this movie, we see Barry Pepper, Thomas Jane, Anthony Michael Hall, Bruce McGill, Bob Gunton, Seymour Cassel, Donald Moffat, Christopher McDonald, Peter Jacobson, Richard Masur, and Domenick Lombardozzi. That’s a lot of familiar faces. One additional note: the decision to have the Mark McGwire home run chase serve as a wraparound story here has definitely not aged well.

2. War Dogs (2016)
I remember reading the magazine article this movie was based on. Basically, two young guys in Miami started selling arms to the US military through the incredibly shoddy process for government procurement. Very quickly, they started making a lot of money while also skirting many laws related to international arms dealing. This is a surprisingly decent movie. While it is typical in many ways of the young-guys-in-business-doing-illegal-stuff genre (think of Boiler Room or The Wolf of Wall Street), it’s got the right dose of humor and cynicism about the military-industrial complex.
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

I'll join with movies from 1950, as I try to get that year done, and films from previous visited years as I do my first deeper search in a couple of years.

1. Rags (1915, James Kirkwood) - 5/10
--- Nice to find Mary Pickford features I've not seen yet. Might not be her most memorable, but <i>Rags (1915)</i> follows the usual tropes that make her movies fun, playing a spunky young lass, here with a drunken father keeping her down. Played a little simpler than usual, but effective and with enough of that Pickford charm to make it worth wild.

2. The Intrigue (1916, Frank Lloyd) - 4/10
--- World War 1 laser warfare! That's the plot of this well over a 100 year old movie. Got to love that sci-fi bit. Doesn't quite trigger the excitement with the dramatics, but this is one I can appreciate the idea of.

3. Dornröschen [Sleeping Beauty] (1917, Paul Leni) - 3/10
--- The idea of one of my favorite silent directors Paul Leni adapting Sleeping Beauty for the silver screen had my curiosity triggered. Sadly it does little to entice the imagination. Fairly straight-forward very with few moments doing much to enhance a timeless tale once had heard and seen a millions times. Underwhelming would be a understatement.

4. The Broken Butterfly (1919, Maurice Tourneur) - 5/10
--- Well acted drama. Perhaps not one that's comes at you with all its might with that slow pacing, but a respectable sad story that communicates its emotions strong with subtle touches.

5. The Restless Sex (1920, Leon D'Usseau & Robert Z. Leonard) - 4/10
--- Filled to the brim of that Marion Davies charm, but the whole experience feels kinda hollow.
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019, Unofficial 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022 and <400 Checks 2021 CHALLENGE WINNER!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 30,000 Checks Club!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
1. See for Me (2021)
2. Wheat Soup (1987)
3. House of Luk (2001)
4. Homewrecker (2019)
5. Sensitive Parts (2017)

Realising that they once had one-night stand, the best friend and boyfriend of an insecure woman debate whether to tell her in this indie feature. Also in the mix is her imaginary friend: a pop-star who pops up here and there. There are some great moments early on with tension simmering as they have awkward three-way conversations; the comedy is never milked for all it is worth though and the imaginary friend could have done with more screen time.

6. The Oak Room (2020)

Returning to a small town that he previously fled, a young man insists on telling a story to the local bartender, which ends up having a story inside a story in this mystery thriller of sorts. Adapted from a stage play, this is a very dialogue-heavy film, and while tension mounts during some of the stories, I found the whole structure muddled and confusing in terms of keeping track of who is who in which story and so on. Certainly, this is ambitious narrative-wise though.
Long live the new flesh!
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

04) Hollywood Ending (2002, Woody Allen) - 4/5
Spoiler
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Spoiler
03. L'attentat a.k.a. The Assassination -- Boisset, 1972 -- 6.5/10

Bleak, star-studded French political thriller that lacks the oomph to catapult it into really special territory. Jean-Louis Trintignant is an informer who unwittingly aids the downfall of a politically "inconvenient" Algerian activist and friend; when JLT realizes how he's been used, he is determined to expose the plot to the public. Lots of potential here, but the pace slogs in several spots.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

05) Ingrid Goes West (2017, Matt Spicer) - 4/5
Spoiler
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Spoiler
04. Too Many Cooks -- Seiter, 1931 -- 4.5/10

Wheeler without Woolsey. Sweet but dull.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

06) Totally Fucked Up (1993, Gregg Araki) - 4/5 (rewatch)
Spoiler

🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
magnusbernhardsen

Post by magnusbernhardsen »

1. Project Grizzly Peter Lynch, 1996
2. Tully Jason Reitman, 2018
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

07) Images of Liberation (1982, Lars Von Trier) - 2.5/5
Spoiler

07) Images of Liberation (1982, Lars Von Trier) - 2.5/5
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

2. You Said a Mouthful-1932: 6/10
Spoiler
1. Northern Pursuit-1943: 8/10
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

1. From Russia, for Love (2000) - 5/10
2. The Superfood Chain (2018) - 6/10
3. Ice Guardians (2016) - 6/10
Comments in Canadian challenge.

4. Zombie Shark (2015) - 3/10
Middle of the road shark movie about a shark that can still eat you after it dies. It's a thing. Not the worst shark movie I've seen by a long shot, but not good.
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

6. Vallfarten till Kevlaar [The Pilgrimage to Kevlaar] (1921, Ivan Hedqvist) - 4/10
--- Its a depressing slow drag of a religious themed movie, but the package works to some extent. More for the composition than the story itself.

7. The Bride's Play (1922, George Terwilliger) - 4/10
--- All the focus is on Marion Davies, and that's not enough to make a glamorous attempt good. For the handcraft is solid. The problem is that all the others just do cameos and any emotional effect is lost in constant Davies.

8. Cocaine (1922, Graham Cutts) - 5/10
--- A good dose of sleaze from Graham Cutts, who was hardy the most subtle of directors in the UK, nor the most refined. But he was always best when allowed to be a little bit naughty. And with Cocaine (1922), that's what he is.

9. A Chapter in Her Life (1923, Lois Weber) - 4/10
--- Jane Mercer is cute, but not cute enough to hook you for this light drama from Lois Weber. I found old man Claude Gillingwater more charming, and he was a grumpy ol' fool. Not a bad movie. It's actually very polished, but it struggled to keep my full attention.

10. Drifting (1923, Tod Browning) - 6/10
--- Tod Browning focusing on Priscilla Dean is always a good thing!

11. The Hunt (II) (2020, Craig Zobel) - 6/10
--- They turned a crazy 1932 film into a crazy social media warfare! Can't deny I kinda dug that.

12. Lasse Månsson fra Skaane [Struggling Hearts] (1923, A.W. Sandberg) - 5/10
--- Quite a interesting story from the days when Sweden was trying to conquer parts of Denmark. Directed by veteran Danish behind the scenes guy A.W. Sandberg, he brings a solid production for a tale like this. Not terribly exciting or anything like that, but what's here is a respectable feel to it all.

Spoiler
1. Rags (1915, James Kirkwood) - 5/10
2. The Intrigue (1916, Frank Lloyd) - 4/10
3. Dornröschen [Sleeping Beauty] (1917, Paul Leni) - 3/10
4. The Broken Butterfly (1919, Maurice Tourneur) - 5/10
5. The Restless Sex (1920, Leon D'Usseau & Robert Z. Leonard) - 4/10
6. Vallfarten till Kevlaar [The Pilgrimage to Kevlaar] (1921, Ivan Hedqvist) - 4/10
7. The Bride's Play (1922, George Terwilliger) - 4/10
8. Cocaine (1922, Graham Cutts) - 5/10
9. A Chapter in Her Life (1923, Lois Weber) - 4/10
10. Drifting (1923, Tod Browning) - 6/10
11. The Hunt (II) (2020, Craig Zobel) - 6/10
12. Lasse Månsson fra Skaane [Struggling Hearts] (1923, A.W. Sandberg) - 5/10
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019, Unofficial 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022 and <400 Checks 2021 CHALLENGE WINNER!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 30,000 Checks Club!
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

1. Der Schatz im Silbersee (1962)

AKA The Treasure of the Silver Lake, German-Yugoslavian Western adapted from a Karl May novel
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

1. Goto, Island of Love (1969, Borowczyk) 7/10
magnusbernhardsen

Post by magnusbernhardsen »

3. The Road to El Dorado Bergeron & Paul, 2000
Spoiler
1. Project Grizzly Peter Lynch, 1996
2. Tully Jason Reitman, 2018
3. The Road to El Dorado Bergeron & Paul, 2000
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

OP updated.

More memorable quotes
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Spoiler
04. Too Many Cooks -- Seiter, 1931 -- 4.5/10
05. Zabicie ciotki a.k.a. Killing Auntie -- Królikiewicz, 1985 -- 6.5/10

Some incredibly arresting visuals in this film about a murderous, messed up Polish youth, but not a lot of substance behind all the great camerawork.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

6 - Here Comes the Groom (1951) - 6.5/10 - Bing Crosby stars as a reporter who has been based in France for the last three years and helps orphans find new homes. He returns home with two orphans in tow so that he can marry the woman (Jane Wyman) he loves only to find that she is engaged to someone else since he has been gone so long. He sets out to win her back. The movie is pretty thin, but is enjoyable enough to watch and pass the time. The overuse of the song "It's the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening" gets a bit annoying after a while.

7 - The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956) - 7.5/10 - Judy Holliday stars as Laura Partridge, a woman who decides to attend the board meeting for a company in which she owns 10 shares. She starts asking questions which disrupt activities so the board hires her and puts her in what they think will be a 'do nothing' position where she will be out of the way. Holliday is entertaining as usual and the movie is a pleasant watch though I didn't totally buy the romance subplot.

8 - State Fair (1945) - 7.5/10 - Abel Frake takes his prize pig to the Iowa State Fair. His wife enters the mincemeat and pickle contests while his children each finds love at the fair. This musical remake of the 1933 film is pretty entertaining.

9 - You Light Up My LIfe (1977) - 6.5/10 - Didi Conn stars as a young woman whose father wants her to be a comedian, but she wants to pursue a career in singing and songwriting. She is engaged to get married, but falls for a man she meets at a payphone. The music is pretty good and so is Conn while the story itself is okay.

10 - The Great Gatsby (1974) - 5/10 - I liked the 2013 adaptation, but this version seemed very dull and uninteresting. The costumes and sets weren't bad, but the acting seemed uninspired for the most part.

11 - The Hindenburg (1975) - 7/10 - The final voyage of the Hindenburg is the setting for a bomb plot and the search for a saboteur. It's not the best of the 1970s disaster films, but it's not the worst either. I thought it was certainly watchable.

Spoiler
1 - The Captain's Paradise (1953) - 6.5/10
2 - Defiance (2008) - 7/10
3 - The Duchess (2008) - 7/10
4 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966) - 6/10
5 - Anna Karenina (2012) - 6/10
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

3. Voyagers (2021)
Lord of the Flies in space. There are a lot of interesting ideas floating around in this sci-fi movie, but it’s fairly adamant about not delving deeply into any thematic complexities. What we get instead is a disappointingly run-of-the-mill space thriller.

4. Temple Grandin (2010)
I remember hearing about Temple Grandin from a teacher in the mid-90s. I think she had just become famous after getting profiled by Oliver Sacks. Grandin is a highly distinguished ethologist. She also is autistic. Director Mick Jackson does a fine job in this biopic of conveying Grandin’s experience of eidetic memory and seeing the world in pictures — her thought is always concrete and visual rather than abstract or linguistic. I’m uncertain about Claire Danes’ lead performance, which features an accent that is one step away from Jimmy Stewart. It has a touch of Rain Man, which I don’t consider a good thing, but I think someone who knows more about autism would be a far better judge than me.