Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 54 released July 1st: The Disappointment That is Leos Carax' Annette)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: 1990s (Results), Germany (May 30th), 2021 (Jun 30th), New Zealand (Jul 3rd), Swan Songs (Jun 30th), 1962 (Jul 30th), Performers (Jul 31st), Unofficial Checks (Jul 31st)
Challenges: Canadian, Unofficial Movies, Personal Toplists
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Nordic Challenge (Official, June 2022)

peeptoad

Nordic Challenge (Official, June 2022)

Post by peeptoad »

Goal
Watch as many movies from the Nordic countries as you can from June 1, 2022 to June 30, 2022.

Eligible countries and territories
Denmark
Faroe Islands
Finland
Greenland
Iceland
Norway
Sweden
Åland Islands
Rules
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Films must be watched one at a time and at single speed (not sped up).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release and country when listing your viewings.

This challenge was last held in 2020 (hosted by Albajos and won by jeroeno).

Lists
Bodil Award - Best Danish Film

Dansk Spillefilm Top 100

Yle News's Best Finnish Films

Edda Award Best Film (Bíómynd ársins)

Amanda Award - Best Norwegian Film

Guldbagge Award - Best Swedish Film

FLM's Best Swedish Films of All Time

iCM Forum's Favorite Nordic movies 2016 (all votes)

Nordic Council Film Prize (winners)

Nordic Council Film Prize (all nominees)

Leaderboard

Rank Participant Count Denmark Faroe Islands Finland Iceland Norway Sweden
1sol72241 15 5 18 9
2Traveller5613 5 2 20 16
3DudeLanez262 1 2 21
4magnusbernhardsen232 1 2 13 5
5jdidaco204 7 2 2 5
6blocho112 1 4 4
73eyes82 1 2 3
8Torgo71 4 1 1
9peeptoad66
10AB53751 1 3
10maxwelldeux5 1 1 3
12zzzorf31 1 1
13vortexsurfer21 1
14gunnar11
14Mario Gaborović11
totals246611 36 13 63 72
Last edited by peeptoad on July 2nd, 2022, 4:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

If anyone has lists they want added let me know...
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Thanks for hosting, peeptoad. I'll watch a few, probably going through my watchlist country by country.
ICM
July Challenge: none
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

I'll probably do some rewatching.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

It starts! I'm beginning with what (as a recent release challenge double) I predict will be the most watched film this month. Unless I'm of course alone in procrastinating finally watching it until this challenge came around. :unsure:

1. The Worst Person in the World (2021) Norway

Divided into twelve chapters for no apparent reason, this has been critically acclaimed for reflecting "millennial anxiety", but watched as a millennial, I found the protagonist so obsessed with her first world problems that she was difficult to relate to or like. The whole thing really felt like a bit a soap opera, scattered burst of comedy aside. The comedy is admittedly decent though, most notably when she gets stoned and experiences crazy hallucinations.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Seems I'm first and second in for the Challenge, though this one was very short:
Spoiler
2. The White Reindeer (1952) Finland

This boasts some very striking exterior images with snowy landscapes and eerie bonfires at night, plus there is some exquisite lighting late in the piece that makes the main actress look like a vampire (see above). As a narrative though, this is not an easy film to engage with. There is an excruciating four minutes of singing narration at the start and then it is almost twenty minutes in before the horror actually begins. Great bleak long shot ending though for sure.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
3. The Innocents (2021) Norway

Some viewers have been quick to label the kids here as 'evil', but it is as simple as that. Sure, two of the kids do some very cruel things, but their pent-up anger is understandable, while the film paints a curious picture of kids existing with minimal adult supervision and guidance. Whatever the case, this is an amazingly atmospheric ride. The towering apartment complex is appropriately eerie, there are creepy reality blurs and tension always lingers in the air.
Long live the new flesh!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

01. A Frozen Dream (1997) - 7/10 (Sweden)
02. Faithless (2000) - 7/10 (Sweden)
ICM
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

1. Ordet (Denmark 1955) - rewatch
2. Farende folk (Nor 22)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
4. Involuntary (2008) Sweden

Ruben Östlund tackles similar themes to Force Majeure and The Square here as we are presented with five unrelated tales of characters who refuse to take responsibility and accept blame for their actions. Interesting though as some of the parallels are between the tales are, all of the jumping between them is not especially helpful. Östlund's outlandish framing also calls attention to itself a bit much too, but there is definitely a lot going on thematically here.
Long live the new flesh!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

03. Clara Sola (2021) - 3/10 (Sweden)
04. Evil (2003) - 7/10 (Sweden)
ICM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
5. The Deep (2012) Iceland

Curious as the capsized boat survivor's tale here is, this is not an easy film to engage with. A very large chunk of the movie is understandably dedicated to his plight at sea, but this section is shot in such low lighting that it is hard to make out what is happening. The at-sea stretch also wallows in sentimentality. Where the film really gets interesting in its aftermath section as scientists subject him to all sorts of humiliating tests.

6. Kill Buljo (2007) Norway

As one might expect from the title, this Norwegian comedy is primarily a Kill Bill parody. The film is assembled with oodles of energy and enthusiasm from all concerned, but the fight sequences really pale by comparison; the characters even resort to whacking each other with fish at times (!). There is also a lot of toilet humour which almost always misses. There is some decent splatter and the occasional amusing catch-phrase said aloud though.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 3 -- 🇫🇮 1 -- 🇮🇸 1 -- 🇸🇪 1
Long live the new flesh!
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

01. 10 timer til Paradis (2012) - Denmark

Now this was a wonderful film which raises many questions about women of today (for a change!).
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

1. You, the Living (2007, Sweden) - 6/10
Well, I have zero disagreements with the fact that this film is on the 366 Weird movies list. It's decidedly weird. It's a crapton of vignettes that are all loosely connected in a roundabout way. An interesting enough watch with a ton of humorous elements, but I just didn't quite "get" it. Would be interesting to view a rewatch someday, though.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
7. Knocking (2021) Sweden

This film about a woman disturbed by unexplained knocking has some potential, but rather than focus on how the noises make her feel insecure or give her insomnia, the film is structured as more of a mystery movie as she constantly attempts to work out what is going on. She is also problematically portrayed as mentally unbalanced from early on, making this always feel like a tale of a woman losing her grip on reality rather than an ambiguous "is she?" thriller.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 3 -- 🇸🇪 2 -- 🇫🇮 1 -- 🇮🇸 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
8. Kon-Tiki (1950) Norway

The footage of the group at sea here is certainly quite remarkable, however, with voice-over narration constantly accompanying the silent images, the whole thing feels like a podcast with pictures. It does not help either that there are quite a few freeze frames and still photographs too. It is extraordinary though to think that this sort of expedition was successfully carried out so long ago, especially with such limited means of communication to the mainland.

9. Holiday (2018) Denmark

While the plot outline and promotional artwork for this Danish drama hint at a rape revenge thriller, the actual results are quite different from that. This is one of those films where 'nothing happens' for its entire first half. The second half does have something more explicit, but -- at least in the Tubi version I watched -- it is all mostly just implied. I think the film is meant to be about how casual sexual assault is to the protagonist, but honestly I have no idea.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 4 -- 🇸🇪 2 -- 🇩🇰 1 -- 🇫🇮 1 -- 🇮🇸 1
Long live the new flesh!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

05. Dear John (1964) - 5/10 (Sweden)
06. About Endlessness (2019) - 6/10 (Sweden)
ICM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
10. I blodet (2016) Denmark

If the medical students here are representative of the future doctors of tomorrow, we have a lot to worry about. While there are engaging moments as they accompany doctors on hospital visits and get to know some of the patients, the majority of the film is spent on them partying, drinking to excess and trying to pick up girls. They are very immature and get off on watching snakes devour rodents. Amidst all this it is hard to say what the film is meant to be about.

11. The Trip (2021) Norway

This pitch black comedy benefits from an intricate flashback structure that only reveals information as necessary, which constantly keeps one on edge and in suspense throughout. Most of the twists and turns are strong too with the film really going there and not holding back on blood, gore and sexualised violence; this is a film where the danger always feels imminent, even when the proceedings are hysterically funny. Not all of the comedy lands though.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 5 -- 🇸🇪 2 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇫🇮 1 -- 🇮🇸 1
Long live the new flesh!
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Northward Ho
1. You, the Living (2007, Sweden)
2. A Man Called Ove (2015, Sweden) 8/10
A delightfully charming comedy about a grumpy old man reluctantly helping people so that he can kill himself. This really resonated with me - if Ove is a 10/10 on grumpiness, my dad is probably an 8.5 and I'm a 7.5. Much of the film hit really close to home on the emotional substance behind the actions. Very cool.
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

1. Intermezzo (1936, Molander) 5,5/10 #Sweden
2. A Woman's Face (1938, Molander) 6/10 #Sweden
3. Ordet (1943, Molander) 6/10 #Sweden
:ICM: icm - :letbxd: letterboxd - :imdb: imdb

Challenges in July
Image -> 325/500
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

1. Kadaver (2020, Norway)
About ten years ago, I went to an “immersive theater experience” here in New York called Sleep No More. It was a very loose Macbeth adaptation, set not on a stage but rather throughout the labyrinthine corridors and rooms of the “McKittrick Hotel,” a five-story building. The audience members were given masks and encouraged to follow the actors around the hotel or wander at will. This is more of less the setup in this Norwegian horror movie, only with the addition of a post-apocalyptic setting and an entirely predictable is-this-real-or-not twist. An explicit reference to Macbeth early in the movie makes it clear that the writer/director must have been influenced by Sleep No More. Unfortunately, the movie he crafted isn’t good. The characters and relationships are shallow and uninteresting, the movie’s internal logic doesn’t make sense, there are absolutely no surprises here, and some flickers of atmosphere can’t make up for everything else.

2. Hamsun (1996, Sweden?)
There should be no surprise when a person who is brilliant in one arena of life is idiotic in another arena. The phenomenon is common enough to be unremarkable. I know nothing about the works of the Norwegian writer Knut Hamsun, but if his literary achievements inspired such adulation as this movie depicts, then he must have been supremely talented. With regard to politics, society, and even his own family, however, this biopic poses him as a bit of a simpleton, old and stubborn and curmudgeonly and extraordinarily naive, more interested in the consistency of his porridge than in his children. How can an artist of sensitivity become an avowed Nazi? I would ask instead, why can’t he be? For Hamsun, his motives lay in a deeply-held Anglophobia. His wife, even more deeply committed to the Nazi cause, seems driven by the need for a cause to fill the hole in her life left by a bad marriage to a national treasure. These are motives but they are not truly answers. They don’t delve deeply into either figure. And for that reason, this movie, while decent in many regards, is a bit disappointing.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
12. Tuftland (2017) Finland

Strikingly similar to Midsommar, though released two years earlier, this Finnish horror film similarly follows a young woman who joins an outskirts commune to get over a bad relationship, only to eventually discover something sinister afoot. It is an idea with potential, but the folklore and mythology is left murky while the protagonist's moments of terror and suspicion are fairly limited until the final half-hour. The ending is, however, unexpectedly brutal at least.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 5 -- 🇸🇪 2 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇫🇮 2 -- 🇮🇸 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I feel a bit :blink: posting what now amounts to four viewings in a row, but I don't know where everybody else is today and I'm off to bed soon.

Two really great films in this batch - and something a bit icky in between.
Spoiler
13. Corridor (2010) Sweden

An anxiety-fuelled thriller about a man who gets scared to leave his apartment. It takes around half an hour for the film to get going, most focusing on how annoying he finds his flirtatious neighbour to be and the occasional encounter with the boyfriend. Once he becomes convinced that she has been killed though, the film seldom lets up, full of dread and tension whenever he leaves and returns with the camera voyeuristically overlooking every single corner.

14. Gilbert's Revenge (2016) Norway

Severely allergic to eggs, a new kid in town tries to keep it a secret while his vindictive aunt tries to expose it in this comedy that features far less revenge than one might expect from the title. In fact, the vast majority of the film is simply spent on the aunt being nasty towards him in increasingly insane ways. The aunt is a poorly drawn character too, and while zany and imaginative, the whole nephew versus aunt stuff is a lot less funny than the filmmakers think.

15. Ronja Rövardotter (1984) Sweden

This could have easily been yet another Romeo and Juliet variant, but with preteen protagonists, both allowed to roam and discover the world on their own for the first time, what we get is more a tale of surrogate siblings. Most remarkable of here though are the creature designs with some downright creepy trolls and crow-like creatures that screech "now the blood will flow" while swooping in! The film runs a bit long, but this really quite delightful.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 6 -- 🇸🇪 4 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇫🇮 2 -- 🇮🇸 1
Long live the new flesh!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

07. Nature's Revenge (1983) - 5/10 (Sweden)
08. Paradise Place (1977) - 3/10 (Sweden)
09. Dalecarlians (2004) - 2/10 (Sweden)
10. Only a Mother (1949) - 5/10 (Sweden)
ICM
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

4. Terribly Happy (2008, Genz) 6/10 #Denmark
5. Sebbe (2010, Najafi) 6/10 #Sweden
Sweden: 4 / Denmark: 1

Challenges in July
Image -> 325/500
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

3. The King's Choice (2016, Norway)
At one point, the crown prince of Norway asks, “What do you need me for, really?” It’s a damn good question. I have very little patience for movies about ceremonial monarchs. A better movie can be made about the invasion of Norway than one which focuses primarily on a figurehead leader saying over and over again, “Talk to the cabinet because I have no real power.”

4. Sodoma Reykjavik (1992, Iceland)
A comic crime thriller that begins as a search for a missing TV remote control. Unfortunately, I think most of the comedy gets lost in translation.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
16. Atlantic Rhapsody (1990) Faroe Islands

Subtitled "52 scenes from Tórshavn", this Faroese drama captures 52 mini-stories from the small Nordic country's capital city. It all occurs over the course of a single day with the film constantly changing protagonists as certain characters meet other characters. As one might expect from a film that shifts gears so often, it is a bit of a bumpy ride. The most memorable stretch involves a bunch of kids who decide to "play funerals" after watching a funeral procession.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 6 -- 🇸🇪 4 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇫🇮 2 -- 🇮🇸 1 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
17. Jar City (2006) Iceland

This is a whole less thrilling and mysterious than it sounds; while there is the odd gripping foot chase and interrogated prisoner running amok, this is not really a thriller and much more a dialogue-heavy police procedural. There is a bit of comic relief as the detectives end up door-knocking and asking elderly ladies if they were raped in the 1970s, with one stating "no thank you", treating the cop like bible salesman. This is not really a comedy either though.

18. Jackpot (2011) Norway

This is a bit like The Usual Suspects, drumming up decent suspense and thrills even though most of the action occurs in an interrogated man's flashbacks. Where the film trips up is in attempts to also be a laugh-out-loud comedy. There are scattered great laughs, but for the most part this is not very funny. The film seldom bores though and Henrik Mestad really delivers as the intimidating, constantly in-disbelief cop in charge of the investigation (see above).

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 7 -- 🇸🇪 4 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇫🇮 2 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
19. Juha (1999) Finland

A contemporary silent melodrama, but other than being shot in widescreen, this mostly feels like an actual silent film from the 1920s; the music is certainly a bit anachronistic but mostly adds to the mood, and the project does a great job incorporating occasional sound effects (bells; gunshots) into the music design. The film's biggest sell-point, however, is André Wilms as the antagonist of the piece, oozing charisma without saying a single audible word.

20. Play (2011) Sweden

This crime drama from Ruben Östlund is gripping right from the opening scene in which we see five immigrant youths con two Swedish kids out of their mobile phone. The tension is especially remarkable given that the sequence is entirely photographed in long shot, making us helpless spectators. The majority of the film though follows three other kids who become deeply embroiled in the phone con, which is both chilling and anxiety-inducing to view.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 7 -- 🇸🇪 5 -- 🇫🇮 3 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

11. Pensionat Paradiset (1937) - 5/10 (Sweden)
12. The Mozart Brothers (1986) - 3/10 (Sweden)
13. The Here After (2015) - 7/10 (Sweden)
14. The Touch (1971) - 7/10 (Sweden)
ICM
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

6. Here Is Your Life (1966, Troell) 7,5/10 #Sweden
7. Who Saw Him Die? (1968, Troell) 7/10 #Sweden
8. As White as in Snow (2001, Troell) 7/10 #Sweden

Here Is Your Life (1966)
Sweden: 7 / Denmark: 1
6. Here Is Your Life (1966, Troell) 7,5/10 #Sweden
7. Who Saw Him Die? (1968, Troell) 7/10 #Sweden
8. As White as in Snow (2001, Troell) 7/10 #Sweden

Challenges in July
Image -> 325/500
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
19. Juha (1999) Finland
20. Play (2011) Sweden
21. Hevn (2015) Norway

Refreshingly different to the average rape revenge movie, this plays out as a slow-burn thriller with a woman gradually weaving herself into the life of her sister's rapist under false pretenses with an elaborate plan to expose his interest in younger women. The biggest drawback of the film is its ignoring of how morally reprehensible her revenge plot is, hoping to entrap the rapist while using another teenager as bait, but it is still very intense for such a slow ride.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 8 -- 🇸🇪 5 -- 🇫🇮 3 -- 🇩🇰 2 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Next up, a trio from Denmark:
Spoiler
19. Juha (1999) Finland
20. Play (2011) Sweden
21. Hevn (2015) Norway
22. Resin (2019) Denmark

This has been compared to Leave No Trace, but that is far better acted and more character-based, whereas this venture often seems more interested in the ick factor than its teen protagonist. The camera often lingers on their squalid living conditions and takes great interest in their strange resin rituals and their violence towards outsiders. Amidst all this, we get little sense of why her parents have become hermits and what life has been like for the teenager.

23. Bleeder (1999) Denmark

Lacking proper social skills, a hardcore cinephile awkwardly interacts his video store customers while his closest friend contends with becoming a father in this early career effort from Nicolas Winding Refn. The film is less visually striking than NWR's neon-soaked latter movies, but it is reasonably engaging all the same, thanks largely to Mads Mikkelsen's sympathetic turn as the movie buff who only ever talks about films and thinks nothing weird of it.

And of course me being me, I had to watch this right after that:

24. Breeder (2020) Denmark

Discussing ageing as a disease, this Danish thriller gets off to an intriguing start. As the film wears on, it becomes more of a kidnapping thriller and te bulk of the movie screams torture porn - though mouth-stapling aside, the film has nothing on Saw or Hostel. During its weaker patches, the film still looks good between great locations and neon red lighting, and there is certainly enough talent that this could have really worked with more pseudoscience in focus.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 8 -- 🇸🇪 5 -- 🇩🇰 5 -- 🇫🇮 3 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Next up, a Norwegian horror revisit double feature:
Spoiler
19. Juha (1999) Finland
20. Play (2011) Sweden
21. Hevn (2015) Norway
22. Resin (2019) Denmark
25. Død Snø (2009) Norway REVISION

Viewed for a second time, this Norwegian horror comedy was less funny and slower to build up than I recalled, but it still entertains overall. There is plenty of blood and gore with some particularly nasty moments as a man's skull is ripped apart and other characters' intestines are shown in graphic detail. There is also a darkly comic self-mutilation and a body ripped apart as half a dozen Nazis grab different sides. The film certainly takes ages to get going though.

26. Død Snø 2 (2014) Norway REVISION

Working with a bigger budget and broader locations, Tommy Wirkola manages to really up the ante of the first film while also expanding on the original's mythology here. This is a far funnier entry too with Vegar Hoel providing a convincing performance as a man at odds with his own arm, plus some amusing supporting turns from aspirant zombie hunters and a zombie minion who ends up being like a pet dog, however, some of the goofiness feels a bit overboard.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 10 -- 🇸🇪 5 -- 🇩🇰 5 -- 🇫🇮 3 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

15. Under the Sun (1998) - 5/10 (Sweden)
16. We Are the Best! (2013) - 2/10 (Sweden)
ICM
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

09. Only a Mother (1959, Sjöberg) 6/10 #Sweden
10. Hugo and Josephine (1967, Grede) 5,5/10 #Sweden
Sweden: 9 / Denmark: 1
01. Intermezzo (1936, Molander) 5,5/10 #Sweden
02. A Woman's Face (1938, Molander) 6/10 #Sweden
03. Ordet (1943, Molander) 6/10 #Sweden
04. Terribly Happy (2008, Genz) 6/10 #Denmark
05. Sebbe (2010, Najafi) 6/10 #Sweden
06. Here Is Your Life (1966, Troell) 7,5/10 #Sweden
07. Who Saw Him Die? (1968, Troell) 7/10 #Sweden
08. As White as in Snow (2001, Troell) 7/10 #Sweden
09. Only a Mother (1959, Sjöberg) 6/10 #Sweden
10. Hugo and Josephine (1967, Grede) 5,5/10 #Sweden

Challenges in July
Image -> 325/500
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Time to start doubling with TSPDT. Too bad these two challenges are on at the same time, otherwise I'd probably be really active here, especially with Nordic Noir shows and maybe even finally getting around to watching Borgen.

1. Höstsonaten - Autumn Sonata (Ingmar Bergman, 1978) 7/10
ICM Forum Challenge winner: 2020 Crime, 2021 UK/Ireland
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
19. Juha (1999) Finland
20. Play (2011) Sweden
21. Hevn (2015) Norway
22. Resin (2019) Denmark
27. Supercool (2021) Finland

Waking up to discover that he has transformed into the handsome hero of his comics, a shy teen cartoonist gets the confidence to ask his dream girl for a party invite, but various mishaps occur here. The film is assembled with a rocking soundtrack and has some memorable armed robbery shenanigans. The plot has some issues, but if one accepts the premise warts and all though, this is a fun ride; the jokes are hit and miss, but there are more hits than misses.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 10 -- 🇸🇪 5 -- 🇩🇰 5 -- 🇫🇮 4 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

A trio of Danish sequels:
Spoiler
19. Juha (1999) Finland
20. Play (2011) Sweden
21. Hevn (2015) Norway
22. Resin (2019) Denmark
27. Supercool (2021) Finland
28. Antboy II (2014) Denmark

Less reliant on special effects than the average superhero movie, Antboy was a relatively enjoyable entry. This sequel adds more in the way of special effects with an invisibility suit, but it is such a wild piece of technology that it is easily the best part of the film. Astrid Juncher-Benzon is also pretty decent as the girl who ends up wearing the suit, but the overall film focuses way too much on Antboy in love - and not enough on his superpowers.

29. Antboy 3 (2016) Denmark

If imperfect, this works better than the second film. Gone is all the icky melodrama with Antboy being in love and instead we get a far more solid character portrait as he is faced with an identity crisis and relevance depravation when a new superhero arrives in town. The film also manages to develop the trilogy's original villain and take him to completely different heights, though there is an even more reduced focus on his ant-like superpowers this time.

30. Pusher 3 (2005) Denmark

This third film in the trilogy is barely related to first two, this time following the Serbian drug lord. Zlatko Burić absolutely shines in the role as he tries to stay clean and sober while continuing to take in and resell drugs. The film is set mostly over the course of a single day, which works really well as we witness pressure gradually building. Music is used particularly well to convey his stresses with bursts of music repeatedly popping up to taunt him.

Keeping track:

🇳🇴 10 -- 🇩🇰 8 -- 🇸🇪 5 -- 🇫🇮 4 -- 🇮🇸 2 -- 🇫🇴 1
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I might watch some more Nicolas Winding Refn with the new more-open Run the Director rules in place. What do you think about his English language films, peeps? I know The Neon Demon was nominated for a couple of Bodil Awards. Haven't checked Drive, Only Forgives and Bronson but I could be up for rewatching them too if eligible.
Long live the new flesh!