Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Western Challenge (Official, May 2022)

blocho
Donator

Western Challenge (Official, May 2022)

Post by blocho »

Western Challenge

Let us begin with an excerpt from Patty Limerick's field-defining work, The Legacy of Conquest:

All but the smallest countries have regions. Few have a region of such historical and mythological import as the West does in the United States. No wonder, then, that the largest and most powerful film industry in the history of cinema developed a genre dedicated solely to the region. No wonder that this genre became America's most popular during its long mid-century heyday. Small wonder that the genre collapsed in on itself in the same era when the entire American project became attenuated and dubious. And yet, the West -- as a place, a concept, or a constellation in the social imaginary -- continues to beguile and intrigue us.

Goal:
Watch Westerns. Discuss them.

Rules:
- I leave eligibility up to the discretion of participants. I ask only for good-faith submissions. Please be mindful that not every movie set in a Western state or featuring some tropes typical of the Western is truly a Western.
- Challenge runs May 1, 2022 - May 31, 2022.
- A feature film (at least 40 minutes) counts as one point.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one point.
- Films must be watched one at a time, at single speed (not sped up), and in their entirety.
- Not a rule but a request: When you post what you have watched, please include your reaction or at least a rating so that other people can learn about movies they might not know about.

Stats & Formatting:
- Title (Year) is the preferred format.
- Don't edit posts to include new movies you've watched. Always make new posts.

Previous Editions:
2012 - Led by sushantv10 with 84 points.
2013 - Led by sushantv10 with 30 points.
2014 - Led by Kasparius with 46 points.
2015 - Led by Chemosh6969 with 57 points.
2016 - Led by PUNQ with 113 points.
2017 - Led by PUNQ with 189 points.
2018 - Led by RogerTheMovieManiac88 with 85 points.
2019 - Led by PUNQ with 157 points.
2020 - Led by PUNQ with 86 points.
2021 - Led by PUNQ with 342 points.

Official Lists:
BFI's 100 Westerns
The Spaghetti Western Database's Essential Top 50 Films
IMDb's Western Top 50

Unofficial Lists
Westerns on ICM official lists
How The West Was Shot
100 Western Masterpieces
Sky Movies' Top 100 Westerns
Sol's Alternative Westerns (under 250 checks)
iCM Forum's Favourite Western Movies

Bonus Challenge - Blocho's Recommendation
Only one recommendation this year: Lawman from 1971. From my review last year:
"You carry the law," Burt Lancaster's marshal says to Robert Ryan's sheriff early in this unusual Western. In most Westerns, a line like that would pass as an unremarkable macho aphorism. Here, it begins a lengthy exploration of justice, honor, and mortality. ... Lancaster's lawman is the focus, providing a fascinating middle point in Western law enforcement moral philosophy between the ultimately upright McCrea/Scott duo of Ride the High Country and the perpetually compromised Olyphant of Deadwood. All this would be enough to make Lawman a delightful movie ... and then comes one of the more surprising endings I've ever seen in a Western.
You can see Lawman for free on Youtube.

Participants
RankParticipant# of PointsLawman?
1PUNQ156---
2gunnar48Yes!
3RogerTheMovieManiac8830---
4flavo500025---
5ororama19---
6blocho18---
7jdidaco14---
8beasterne9---
9VincentPrice8---
9maxwelldeux8---
9peeptoad8Yes!
12AB5376---
12sol6Yes!
14Silga5---
15Mochard3---
16DudeLanez2---
17hurluberlu1---
Last edited by blocho on May 21st, 2022, 3:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Thanks for hosting, blocho. I'm down for a handful anyway...
Silga

Post by Silga »

Lawman is a brilliant film and one of my favorite westerns. I second Blocho's recommendation!
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Great intro post blocho! I am hoping to make some progress in this challenge. My goal is to get bronze on the BFI Westerns List—I need 27 more to reach that mark. It will be a stretch but hopefully I can at least make a good effort.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I need 9 for bronze on the BFI Western list so I'll be aiming to get that award. I need 11 movies for platinum on the IMDb Western list, but 5 of those films don't have a western genre tag on either ICM or IMDb and the descriptions don't make them sound much like westerns. I've also got 8 Academy Award nominated westerns to watch. I won't be contending to win this challenge, but I should get plenty of good watches in.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beasterne wrote: April 29th, 2022, 2:25 am Great intro post blocho!
Thanks, although I have to confess I just copied what I had for the 2021 challenge.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

It starts! First in. B)
:shoot:

1. Lawman (1971)

This benefits from a down-to-earth Burt Lancaster as the title character who just wants to do his job, but is continually forced to kill in self-defense. Robert Ryan comes off best though as the town's sheriff. Initially cold towards Lancaster, he eventually begins to warm to him, seeing a difference between his "back-shooter" fellow citizens and Lancaster's honorable stranger. Some weird stuff here (bonding over fish; very fake blood) but generally a solid film.

What do I win for seeing Lawman first? :think:
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Oh, and for what it's worth, my goal this month is Bronze on the Spaghetti Western Database list:

Currently only six films away so definitely doable. Beyond that, not sure what my participation will be. I already have Silver on the other two western lists.
Long live the new flesh!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sol wrote: May 1st, 2022, 4:24 am What do I win for seeing Lawman first? :think:
My applause and this picture of Burt Lancaster in the shower.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

1. Black Patch-1957: 8/10
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

1. Springfield Rifle (André De Toth, 1952) 6+
ImageImageImageImageImage
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sol wrote: May 1st, 2022, 4:27 am Oh, and for what it's worth, my goal this month is Bronze on the Spaghetti Western Database list:

Currently only six films away so definitely doable. Beyond that, not sure what my participation will be. I already have Silver on the other two western lists.
Platinums across the board? :lol:
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

I've kept a low profile this year, but I had to return for my annual Western Month. Last year I broke my own record of how many films I've seen in a single month with 344 films (342 that were westerns). I'm not aiming that high this year, but I've got quite a few lined-up and starting hard, and that's before I do a deeper search of pre-1950 westerns. But first, what's become my annual deep dive into the horrors that's modern westerns....

1. Billy the Kid: Showdown in Lincoln County (2017, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- For my annual May Western Month, I use that opportunity check-out what new modern westerns has come out each year. There's usually not that many of them, so I don't mind sitting through a few true stinkers just to keep up... like this dreadful one from Christopher Forbes. So little Billy the Kid. and so much pointless saloon talk. There wasn't any reason for this production besides exploiting the Billy the Kid legend.

2. The Last Gunslinger (2017, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- The usual "top notch" Christopher Forbes production values... except more boring... if that was even possible!

3. Jesse James vs. The Black Train (2018, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- One would think making westerns in this day and age would be a passion project, except there is no passion present in Christopher Forbes' productions. This is a Jesse James outlaw story and it feels so damn hollow, in addition to the production values looking worse than usual.

4. The Confederate (2018, Christopher Forbes) - 2/10
--- Christopher Forbes put a little more care into making The Confederate (2018), but it's still the same unconvincing boring trash he usually make. The 2 out of 10 score is just to separate his usual crap from his slightly upgraded crap.

5. Sex Terrorists on Wheels (2019, Stefan Ruf) - 1/10
--- A quasi-western with a rape gang on motorbikes and bare breasts for no apparent reason. Just dumb. I just wanted a break from the terrible Christopher Forbes movies I've been watching, only to find out that there are bigger cunts pretending to be movie makers out there.

6. Wyatt Earp Shoots First (2019, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- Christopher Forbes continues his magic touch on modern westerns making nothing feel convincing. It's a gift. Here trying to ruin Wyatt Earp's legacy.

7. A Rebel Born (2019, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- I mean, they almost hit on a narrative that could have worked, but in true Christopher Forbes style, it's fumbled pretty bad. Just another terrible movie in his collection, a filmography I've seen way too much of. But I think that's it for Forbes films this year, so hurrah for me. I survived.

8. Showdown at Shelby's Shack (2019, Scott Hester) - 1/10
--- I was feeling so relieved getting through all those terrible Christopher Forbes westerns, only to find out there are others just as bad as him attempting to make 'em. I guess, Showdown at Shelby's Shack (2019) might have had livelier dialogue, but it's still the same crappy production, abysmal acting and poorly paced story you'd see in the worst of the worst westerns.

9. Calamity, une enfance de Martha Jane Cannary [Calamity, a Childhood of Martha Jane Cannary] (2020, Rémi Chayé) - 5/10
--- Fairly adorable take on childhood of wild west icon Calamity Jane done in a nice euro-animation style. Felt like something that would fit even better as a animated series, but even as a feature story it was well paced and professionally put together. Enjoyable for the entire family, even if I wouldn't compare it to the really big animation films that's put out there.

10. Concrete Cowboy (2020, Ricky Staub) - 5/10
--- Last year I saw the documentary Fire on the Hill (2018) which did a story on black cowboys in modern Compton, so it was something very familiar when I saw this Idris Elba sponsored feature film of the same subject, except in a Philly setting. Still ghetto, and using the horse rider lifestyle as a positive focus for troubled youth. It's a nice, often slow paced, smaller film. There is something really cool about riding horses cowboy-style down modern streets.
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020 & 2021 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019, Unofficial 2019, 2020 & 2021 and <400 Checks 2021 CHALLENGE WINNER!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 30,000 Checks Club!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

PUNQ wrote: May 1st, 2022, 9:22 pm I've kept a low profile this year, but I had to return for my annual Western Month.
Welcome back! It wouldn't be a Western challenge without you.

Can you or anyone else explain what's the deal with those Christopher Forbes movies. I looked him up and saw he directed 12 movies from 2019-2021. Are these just the usual ephemera that gets mass produced cheaply and dumped on the VOD market?
Last edited by blocho on May 2nd, 2022, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

1 - Sholay (1975) - 8/10 - A former police officer recruits two criminals to capture a bandit who has been terrorizing his village. He wants them to capture the bandit alive and the two men will earn a large reward if they succeed, though the bandit also has a large gang that will need to be dealt with. I thought the film was pretty entertaining with some good action scenes and humor as well. The songs mostly didn't seem out of place either.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) - This was excellent. So much that worked so well in this film. Hard to even know what to call out, but at least Eastwood’s performance, the writing, and the editing / shot composition / location shooting are worth mentioning. Probably my only regret is starting with this one—I wish I watched this revisionist Western after whetting my appetite with a few classics.

Bounty Hunter: “A man’s got to do something for a living these days.”

Josey Wales: “Dyin’ ain’t much of a livin’, boy.”

Question for anyone: would Oklahoma! (1955) qualify for this challenge? It’s got the Western tag but not sure it’s in the spirit of the challenge.
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. Yellow Sky (1948) * 99 min. 

A gang robs a bank and flees across a salt flat, the survivors ending up in a ghost town populated by an old miner and his tomboy granddaughter. A first rate western directed by William A. Wellman and based on a story by W.R. Burnett, it maintains tension with a constant possibility of double-crosses between the gang members counterbalanced by their awareness of their dependence upon each other for survival. Gregory Peck keeps you guessing as to whether he has any remaining shred of honor, Richard Widmark and John Russell leave no doubt that they have none, and Anne Baxter is convincingly tough and vulnerable at the same time.

*First time viewing
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beasterne wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 3:24 am Question for anyone: would Oklahoma! (1955) qualify for this challenge? It’s got the Western tag but not sure it’s in the spirit of the challenge.
According to the rules, eligibility is ultimately up to you. Personally, I would call it a Western, but my opinion doesn't determine eligibility.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

1. News of the World (2020)
Two people burdened by past traumas and forced together by odd circumstances join in a journey and gradually build their own relationship as a way to move beyond their painful past. This is a familiar story, from The Outlaw Josey Wales to The Nightingale. In this version of the story, the setting is postbellum Texas and the two people are an aging Confederate veteran and a young girl, a German immigrant captured and brought up by the Kiowa from a young age. Even if its narrative is very familiar and a bit timid (the main character is not developed with sufficient depth), this movie is still pleasant and emotionally effective, buoyed by some gorgeous photography and Tom Hanks’ typically strong acting. The only drawbacks are some narrative turns that simply don’t work: Two of the three major dangers faced during the journey just aren’t believable, at least as they’re presented here.

2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
I think this is the third musical Western I’ve seen, though the other two were really Westerns with musical numbers, while this is a musical with a Western setting that feels almost incidental — nothing more than an excuse for some backwoods local color. It’s about as authentically Western as a theme park ride. In other words, this is not a movie for me. It may, in fact, be the exact opposite of what I want in a Western, and I write that as someone who has enjoyed many varieties of Western. All that said, there’s some appeal in the big dance numbers, though they impress me more with their athleticism than with any dancing ability. The plot and characterizations, meanwhile, offer such a traditional take on gender roles that it verges on parody. Is it actually parody? If so, it’s also a parody of musicals and their bizarre, twisted logic — a jaunty song is all you need to make kidnapping and forced marriage seem like a good idea, it seems.

Aside from all that, this movie has some personal importance because it was the first movie my mother ever saw, as a 7-year-old back in 1957. That started a lifelong obsession with the movies for her, influencing in turn my own lifelong obsession with the movies.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

1. The Deadly Companions (1961) 6
2. Lawman (1971) 7 I'm not leaving until what I came for is done, so if you plan to do anything about it do it now or go home.
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

2. The Bandit Trail-1941: 7/10
Spoiler
ororama

Post by ororama »

2. Man of the Forest (1933) * 61 min.

Typical B western based on a Zane Grey novel with loner Randolph Scott grabbing his friend Harry Carey's niece before bad guy Noah Beery can in order to get Carey's land. Very good cast also includes Barton MacLane, Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams, Vince Barnett (a familiar face if not name for me, kind of a John Qualen type) and Buster Crabbe, with Verna Hillie as the pretty, cranky damsel in distress. Oddly, Scott has a family of mountain lions as pets, which actually appear to be African lions.
Spoiler
1. Yellow Sky (1948) * 99 min.
*First time viewing
Silga

Post by Silga »

1. Frontera (Michael Berry, 2014) 4/10

A contemporary western drama that is filled with cliché-ridden paper-thin story, bland directing and subpar acting. Some beautiful landscapes and a promising premise was ditched after 10-15 mins and the rest was a tonal disaster with too many abandoned plot lines.
When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings
1. Frontera (Michael Berry, 2014) 4/10
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

blocho wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 1:27 am
PUNQ wrote: May 1st, 2022, 9:22 pm I've kept a low profile this year, but I had to return for my annual Western Month.
Welcome back! It wouldn't be a Western challenge without you.

Can you or anyone else explain what's the deal with those Christopher Forbes movies. I looked him up and saw he directed 12 movies from 2019-2021. Are these just the usual ephemera that gets mass produced cheaply and dumped on the VOD market?
That's probable the case. He pretty much uses the same cast over and over again too. A cast which feel like he's picked-up at some kind of reenactment tourist show. While a couple of them have personality, none of them can act for the camera. Forbes is now the director I've seen the most 1/10 score films from.

11. Magnezja [Magnesium] (2020, Maciej Bochniak) - 4/10
--- Polish bizarro western. As if it could have been anything else....

12. A Guide to Gunfighters of the Wild West (2021, Travis Mills) - 2/10
--- Really poor no-budget western by and with Travis Mills, but I kinda warmed up to the lame humor of it.

13. Badland Doves (2021, Paul Winters) - 1/10
--- Bunch of cheap western nonsense. Was not liking this at all, as it's simply just another crappy modern take on the wild west that had no reason to been made.

14. Gunfight at Dry River (2021, Daniel Simpson) - 3/10
--- It's dry as the river in the story, but at least there's some effort into making it look like a authentic western experience, unlike so many of the other modern westerns I've checked-out recently. So even with it's boring narrative, I appreciated it on some level.

15. The Woman Who Robbed the Stagecoach (2021, Travis Mills) - 2/10
--- ...the first feature length western shot on an iPhone... that sets expectations. Especially for someone who's shied away from Apple products all his life. I should have shied away from this one too. Some of Travis Mills's lame humor does get me, but these are still films that don't need to exist.

16. Last Shoot Out (2021, Michael Feifer) - 1/10
--- On top of being bad, it didn't have any likable elements to save its cheap ass. Was highly unlikable, actually.

17. Apache Junction (2021, Justin Lee) - 2/10
--- Another poor western, but I've seen so many bad ones now that Apache Junction (2021) almost seemed good at times. Wasn't, though.

18. The Pleasant Valley War (2021, Travis Mills) - 1/10
--- They tried something different with The Pleasant Valley War (2021), telling an old west tale as through a documentary and reenactment. They didn't do a good job with the hybrid. So bad that it almost caused a riot in my household as to why I was watching this crap. I had the ease their minds by putting on The Bad Guys (2021) after it was over. So I can only give bottom score to a film that almost destroyed my family.... slight hyperbole, but it was what happened, except less dramatic.

19. Buckskin (2021, Brett Bentman) - 2/10
--- Could have been good. Simply didn't have the talent behind it to lift it. Instead it became a tedious experience that just got worse and worse.

20. Montford: The Chickasaw Rancher (2021, Nathan Frankowski) - 3/10
--- Not totally convincing, but at least there was a story there that had a purpose, telling the story of Chickasaw cattleman Montford T. Johnson and the struggles his family had to face against the white people lurking their lands. Was told fairly coherent and with a positive message. A lot of tweaking was needed to truly take advantage of what they had, but with the amount of crap efforts I've seen today, this was the most professional put together.

Spoiler
9. Calamity, une enfance de Martha Jane Cannary [Calamity, a Childhood of Martha Jane Cannary] (2020, Rémi Chayé) - 5/10
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020 & 2021 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019, Unofficial 2019, 2020 & 2021 and <400 Checks 2021 CHALLENGE WINNER!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

3. The Ballad of Little Jo (1993)
After having an affair, a woman from a wealthy family is cast out of her home. She heads West, where she barely avoids a rape attempt, saved only by a quick riverine escape. Soaked, she seeks new clothes at a store, and upon finding no dresses available, makes a fateful decision. What starts as a matter of expediency with regard to clean garments becomes a life-altering decision. Josephine Monaghan, sensing how dangerous and tenuous life will be in the West as a lone woman, becomes Joe Monaghan, a gold miner and later sheep rancher in the Montana Territory of the late 1800s. A number of plot turns and dangers unfold from there, but they are always foregrounded against the dangerous secret held by Monaghan.

Westerns aren’t often thought of as movies that regularly explore gender. Race gets a lot more attention in critical analyses of the genre. But that’s only because the gender dynamics of the Western are so fixed -- so assumed -- that they can vanish from attention. Certainly, few genres provide such a constant depiction of masculinity. The great achievement of this movie is to explore femininity in the Western and not just in its typical role as a sideshow emblem of perfect domesticity. For that alone, this is one of the most fascinating Westerns I’ve seen in a long time. But beyond that, it offers an emotionally engaging story with plenty of drama and hints of action and comedy. A contender for my 500<400 list. It’s easily found on YouTube if anyone’s interested.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

3. Deus e o Diabo Terra do Sol (1964) Black God, White Devil 7
the setting sun....
2. Lawman (1971) 7
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

blocho wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 5:19 am The Ballad of Little Jo (1993) ... this is one of the most fascinating Westerns I’ve seen in a long time. But beyond that, it offers an emotionally engaging story with plenty of drama and hints of action and comedy. A contender for my 500<400 list.
It's on my 500<400 list, so you might as well add it to yours too so that we can be compañeros. ;) On that subject, is Lawman on your 500<400 ballot? I didn't notice it on any <400 lists on iCM - but you might be one of those folks who submit an IMDb rather than iCM list each year.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Spoiler
1. Lawman (1971)
2. Compañeros! (1970)

This has a grand Ennio Morricone music score and memorable bits and pieces including a match lit inside a croupier's nostril, hanging upside down (see above) and being buried up to the neck in sand. As a narrative though, the film always feels goofy without really being consistently funny, which works against some of the things the film seems to try to say. The buddy-buddy scenes are decent though and an eccentric Jack Palance is never a bad thing.
Long live the new flesh!
ororama

Post by ororama »

3. Indian Agent (1948) * 65 min.
Standard B western with honest cowboys Tim Holt and Richard Martin (playing Chito Jose Gonzalez Bustamonte Rafferty as usual) exposing a crooked businessman and corrupt Indian agent stealing food intended for the reservation.
Spoiler
2. Man of the Forest (1933) * 61 min.
*First time viewing
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

1. The Gunfight at Dodge City (Joseph M. Newman, 1959)

2. The Quiet Gun (William F. Claxton, 1957)

3. Cuatro dólares de venganza a.k.a. 4 Dollars for Revenge (Jaime Jesús Balcázar, 1966)
Spoiler
3. Cuatro dólares de venganza a.k.a. 4 Dollars for Revenge (Jaime Jesús Balcázar, 1966)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sol wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 10:06 am On that subject, is Lawman on your 500<400 ballot? I didn't notice it on any <400 lists on iCM - but you might be one of those folks who submit an IMDb rather than iCM list each year.
Lawman is not on my list. I liked it but not enough to add it to my list, with which I tend to be very selective (only 160 titles currently).
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

21. Death Rider in the House of Vampires (2021, Glenn Danzig) - 1/10
--- Beyond being some kind of homage to perhaps 1970s art house horror, this dark vampire rider feels so pointless. The appeal of it is the very brief Danny Trejo cameo at the intro and that it's Glenn Danzig's art, but that wasn't nearly enough for me.

22. Death Alley (2021, Nicholas Barton) - 2/10
--- ....at least it was better than Christopher Forbes' The Dalton Gang (2020). But that's not really the standard. Another poor movie about the famous Dalton Gang.

23. Skinwalker (2021, Robert Conway) - 1/10
--- Super weak shock western. Poor acting, no chemistry and the usual poor production values I've come to expect from anyone attempting to make a western these days. Another avoid like the plague release....

24. Counting Bullets (2021, Travis Mills) - 2/10
--- Once it settles in, Counting Bullets (2021) slows down into a talking state of boredom and weak dialogue. Basically loses what it had of cringy cliches and just becomes irrelevant.

25. Righteous Blood (2021, Rene Perez) - 1/10
--- On top of being one of those super bad modern westerns, it's got a hefty religious moral to boot. Not for me.

26. Lost Outlaw (2021, Darrell Mapson) - 2/10
--- Just another lame western. Wasn't hating-hating it, but it wasn't good either. Never felt it went anywhere with the story even if it had characters.

27. Honor Among Thieves (2021, Brett Bentman) - 1/10
--- Put. Me. To. Sleep. In. The. Middle. Of. The. Day. That rarely happens to me, and that tells you how exciting this Honor Among Thieves (2021) was.

28. Catch the Bullet (2021, Michael Feifer) - 2/10
--- I kind of liked the good guys, especially with old Tom Skerritt with a shotgun, but the baddies was the downfall of this cheap western. Not that this was the type of production that had much hope of becoming good.

29. Ghosts of the Ozarks (2021, Matt Glass & Jordan Wayne Long) - 3/10
--- The story was rubbish, so it kind of stops there. However I liked some of the horror elements, and there were at least two wrestlers prominent in this bizarre western, so that got my attention. Like David Arquette, who, I know, is an actor, but he sometimes dabbles in pro-wrestling like a headless chicken and here he continues looking like a kindhearted madman. The other was towering Joseph Ruud, aka Erick Rowan and Erick Redbeard, who I've actually seen live, when he got the biggest pop of the night when WWE did their first an only show in Norway a few years back. Ruud is of Norwegian heritage and once appeared in a reality show over here where American-Norwegians visited and experienced Norway for the first time. Anyway, he was big personality here, even if his role could have been bigger. So there was these little things that at least made it mildly entertaining, even if all things combined didn't work.

30. The Last Son (2021, Tim Sutton) - 2/10
--- So is Machine Gun Kelly the savior of the modern western? No! No, he's not.

Spoiler
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

2 - Return of the Seven (1966) - 5.5/10 - This sequel to The Magnificent Seven covers a lot of the same ground, but is much less interesting. Several years have passed since the first film. All of the men in the village where one of the gunmen from the first film (Chico) has settled have been rounded up and taken away by a bandit gang. Chico's wife seeks help from Chris (Yul Brynner) and he puts together another group of seven fighters to rescue his friend and the other captured men. There is a fair amount of action, but it all seems to be kind of by the numbers. The film is watchable, but not that good overall.

3 - Heaven's Gate (1980) - 7/10 - This is based loosely on the Johnson County War in Wyoming toward the end of the 19th Century. Wealthy cattlemen try to intimidate and murder small ranchers, including a number of immigrants, who are challenging them on the use of the land. I was enjoying the film quite a bit for the first hour or so, but then started to lose interest. The film has really nice cinematography and I never completely lost interest, but it felt bloated and overlong. Overall, I thought it was a decent film with the potential to have been much better. Of course, the production problems, cost overruns, and other issues doomed it's release early on.

4 - The Texas Rangers (1936) - 7/10 - Fred MacMurray and Jack Oakie are outlaws who join the Texas Rangers, though initially it's part of a scheme. Things go well for them until they are sent to track down one of their former partners. The film is dated, but still fairly entertaining, particularly in the second half of the film. Gabby Hayes makes a brief appearance as a judge.

5 - Shenandoah (1965) - 7.5/10 - James Stewart stars as a farmer in Virginia during the Civil War who has a big spread that he works with his six sons, his daughter, and his daughter-in-law. Confederate and Union forces are in the vicinity near his farm, but he wants no part of the war and just wants his farm and his family to be left alone. His youngest son is mistaken for a Confederate soldier and taken prisoner so he goes off in search of him. I thought this was a pretty good western, even if it doesn't take place out west.

6 - Lawman (1971) - 8/10 - #Bonus - Burt Lancaster stars as a lawman from a town called Bannock who travels to the town of Sabbath with a list of names of cowboys who shot up Bannock and unknowingly killed a man earlier in the year. One of the men on the list challenged him before he got to town and is now dead. He meets with the town marshal and sets a deadline for the next day for the men to turn themselves in. He says that none of the men will be killed and they will get a fair trial in Bannock, but some of the men have other ideas. I thought this one was really good. Nice recommendation!
Spoiler
1 - Sholay (1975) - 8/10
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

2. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) - A John Wayne western where he plays an aging US cavalry commander one week from retirement (is this where the trope comes from?) The cinematography was certainly my favorite part of the movie, with great color-drenched vistas of Monument Valley. Wayne is good as well although he had to be aged up to play the role—I wonder what this film would be like if it was made 20 years later when it would be more age appropriate? Anyway, a decent enough film overall but not one of my favorite Fords or Westerns in general.
Tombstones
1. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
@blocho thanks for the thoughts on Oklahoma—I will likely count it for this challenge and give it a watch sometime this month. I just didn’t want a shootout if I could head trouble off at the pass :guns:
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

4. I Shot Jesses James (1949) 7
the setting sun....
2. Lawman (1971) 7
3. Deus e o Diabo Terra do Sol (1964) Black God, White Devil 7
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

3. The Quick Gun-1964: 8/10
Spoiler
2. The Bandit Trail-1941: 7/10
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

4. Jim il primo a.k.a. The Last Gun (Sergio Bergonzelli, 1964)

5. White Feather (Robert D. Webb, 1955)
Spoiler
4. Jim il primo a.k.a. The Last Gun (Sergio Bergonzelli, 1964)
5. White Feather (Robert D. Webb, 1955)
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Thank you for hosting, blocho!

(Screenshots from 'Savage Pampas' and 'Quelé do Pajeú'),

1. Llanto por un bandido (Weeping for a Bandit, Carlos Saura, 1964) 8/10
2. Savage Pampas/Pampa salvaje (Hugo Fregonese, 1965) 7.5/10
3. ¿Quién grita venganza? (Dead Men Don't Count!, Rafael Romero Marchent, 1968) 7.5/10
4. Quelé do Pajeú (Fury of the Avenger, Anselmo Duarte, 1970) 9/10

ImageImage
ororama

Post by ororama »

4. Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) 114 min.

It's been many years since I saw this, and all I recalled was the basic idea of the plot and that I liked it. It is fairly faithful to the conventions of the western, surprising considering the somewhat whimsical central relationship. Shirley MacLaine manages to be funny without undermining her character, but Clint Eastwood makes a rather surly straight man.
Spoiler
2. Man of the Forest (1933) * 61 min.
3. Indian Agent (1948) * 65 min.
*First time viewing
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

That'a all the new westerns I've been able to find, and I don't think I wanna find some more.... :rip:

31. Old Henry (2021, Potsy Ponciroli) - 7/10
--- This is the proof that quality modern westerns does exists! And it's all down to Tim Blake Nelson remarkable portrayal of Old Henry (2021), or you know who. Apart from the reveal, the plot was a basic western trope done right, carried excellently by the loner ambiance and gritty visual style. This is how you make a western these days!

32. The Harder They Fall (2021, Jeymes Samuel) - 6/10
--- Perhaps a little too gimmicky, but it's a very colorful and flashy western, entertaining us with pure fiction while teaching us the names of actual black wild west icons. It's an exercise in style that was a lot of fun to behold.

33. The Power of the Dog (2021, Jane Campion) - 5/10
--- It's a beautiful western with rising sexual tensions, but it also feels a little empty, and that was a real cheap ending. Ruined a otherwise intriguing profile of cowboy, no matter how hard it was to take Benedict Cumberbatch as one.

34. Desperate Riders (2022, Michael Feifer) - 2/10
--- Yeah, no masterpiece, but that's expected from a Michael Feifer western. The acting was the worst aspect of it, but at least some of the characters were mildly likable. But not enough to make Desperate Riders (2022) worth watching.

35. No Name & Dynamite (2022, Errol Sack) - 2/10
--- At least they tried to make a bad western tongue in cheek funny, but I'm not saying it's actually funny.

36. Hostile Territory (2022, Brian Presley) - 1/10
--- Well-meaning, but not good. At all. Everything feels tedious, even with the children's aspect. A shame, really.

37. A Tale of Two Guns (2022, Justin Lee) - 2/10
--- I guess it depends on how much you like Tom Berenger. Not a good western, but also not the worst, which I know for a fact after seeing so many terrible cowboy flicks these past four days. I'm glad this is the last of the modern bunch. Now I'll do a hundred, hopefully better, westerns from 1950....

Spoiler
31. Old Henry (2021, Potsy Ponciroli) - 7/10
32. The Harder They Fall (2021, Jeymes Samuel) - 6/10
33. The Power of the Dog (2021, Jane Campion) - 5/10
34. Desperate Riders (2022, Michael Feifer) - 2/10
35. No Name & Dynamite (2022, Errol Sack) - 2/10
36. Hostile Territory (2022, Brian Presley) - 1/10
37. A Tale of Two Guns (2022, Justin Lee) - 2/10