Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 36 released September 1st: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down: Is Rating Films Actually Worthwhile Communication?)
Polls: 2020 (Results), 21st Century (Results), 500<400 (Sept 24th), 1967 (Sept 29th)
Challenges: Eastern Europe, Silent Era, Low Rating
Managers Cup: Round 1 Schedule, 1B: russa03 vs zzzorf vs OldAle1 (Sep 26th)

Low IMDb Rating Challenge (Official, September 2021)

pitchorneirda

Low IMDb Rating Challenge (Official, September 2021)

Post by pitchorneirda »

Low IMDb Rating Challenge

Goal
Watch as many movies with IMDb ratings of 5.4 or lower as you can from September 1, 2021 to September 30, 2021.

Rules
- Ratings should be 5.4 or lower on IMDb at time of watching
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Films must be watched one at a time and at single speed (not sped up).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for your soul.
- Please include the IMDb rating of the watched movies in your post

Bonus challenge
- Get Low Bonus Challenge: have the lowest average IMDb rating at the end of the challenge

Scoring: I'm going to use an adjusted average; this to account for averages based on small sample sizes. Basically, everyone starts out with five watches with a 5.4 IMDb rating each (this only applies to the scoring for the side challenge). Each time you watch a film, your average is recalculated based on those 5 watches with the 5.4 rating, plus the ratings for whatever films you've watched for this challenge. Note that shorts and features will be treated equally for this side challenge.

Official Lists
- The first 62 films in the They Shoot Zombies Canon, ordered by IMDb rating
- Some but not all of the films on the Badmovies.org list qualify

Non-Official Lists
- All eligible movies in the IMDb Bottom 1000

This thread will be updated at least once a day.

Participants
RankParticipant# of Watches
1 flavo5000 65
2 jdidaco 30
3 OldAle1 22
4 sol 22
5 vortexsurfer 11
6 ororama 11
7 PUNQ 10
8 Onderhond 9
9 jonas2k 8
10 frbrown 7
11 zzzorf 7
12 kongs_speech 5
13 blocho 5
14 Silga 4
15 maxwelldeux 4
16 VincentPrice 4
17 cinephage 3
18 shugs 3
19 hurluberlu 3
20 AB537 2
21 DudeLanez 1

GET LOW BONUS CHALLENGE

Lowest Average Rating
RatingParticipant# of Watches
3.58 OldAle1 22
4.08 vortexsurfer 11
4.54 flavo5000 72
4.65 frbrown 7
4.68 sol 22
4.7 maxwelldeux 4
4.74 VincentPrice 4
4.79 PUNQ 13
4.88 jdidaco 30
4.99 Onderhond 9
5.00 cinephage 3
5.01 ororama 11
5.05 jonas2k 8
5.07 kongs_speech 5
5.1 hurluberlu 3
5.12 blocho 5
5.13 zzzorf 7
5.27 Silga 4
5.35 DudeLanez 1
5.35 shugs 3
5.37 AB537 2

Previous Winners
2018: flavo5000 (142) & albajos (2.73)
2019: albajos (145) & maxwelldeux (2.95)
2020: psychotronicbeatnik (173) & India Istanbul (3.12)
Last edited by pitchorneirda on September 16th, 2021, 6:11 am, edited 26 times in total.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

It's my first time hosting, please be gentle. But feel free to tell me if something is wrong, or if you think I should add/remove something.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

hello flavo I know you're reading this
Silga

Post by Silga »

Great challenge! AKA Nicolas Cage challenge. :D He's got ~35 films that qualify. I've seen 18. So plenty more of Nic Cage magic.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Silga wrote: August 30th, 2021, 4:03 pm Great challenge! AKA Nicolas Cage challenge. :D He's got ~35 films that qualify. I've seen 18. So plenty more of Nic Cage magic.
Absolutely. Time to get back IN THE CAGE.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Torgo wrote: August 30th, 2021, 3:21 pm hello flavo I know you're reading this
:ph43r:
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

1. The Glory Stompers-1967: 7/10 5.1
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

It starts! Second in. <_<

1. Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (2020) 4.8 on IMDb

This slasher boasts a decent amount of gore with tongues ripped out, eyes gouged and an entire person even axed in half; as a narrative though, it brings little new to the table and has a dull explanation for how the killer came to be. What disappoints most about the film though is how little is made of the no-devices premise as none of the teens really seem that anxious without them; rather, the idea is a mere plot device so that they cannot easily get help.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

August Action Leftovers

Sometimes I like to create a kind of transition of power, starting one challenge with a nod to the previous. With a Low Rating Challenge following an Action Challenge, it was kind of a no-brainer. So I naturally had to partake in some juicy late '80s/early '90s action trash to kick off a cavalcade of crap.

1. Deadly Prey (David A. Prior, 1987)
IMDB: 5.3
Man, I get a kick out of these piece-of-shit vanity projects. David A. Prior looks like a wolverine got a hold of a Monster energy drink and started cuttin' scalps.

2. Black Eagle (Eric Karson, 1988)
IMDB: 3.9
Sho Kosugi is...not the best actor...

3. The Taking of Beverly Hills (Sidney J. Furie, 1991)
IMDB: 5.1

so many mullets, so little point...

4. American Ninja 2: The Confrontation (Sam Firstenberg, 1987)
IMDB: 4.9

More is not always better.

5. American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (Cedric Sundstrom, 1989)
IMDB: 3.6

Get the fuck out of here with this nonsense.
One Person's Trash Is Another Person's...Something
Last edited by flavo5000 on September 1st, 2021, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

1. Hold me tight / Serre moi fort (Mathieu Amalric, 2021) [4.7] 8-
ImageImageImageImageImage
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

flavo5000 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:04 pm 1. Deadly Prey (David A. Prior, 1987)
IMDB: 5.3
Man, I get a kick out of these piece-of-shit vanity projects. David A. Prior looks like a wolverine got a hold of a Monster energy drink and started cuttin' scalps.
Yeah, one of the more enjoyable poor man's Rambo train wrecks because it's so laughable. :D Recommended.

pitchorneirda wrote: August 30th, 2021, 12:53 pm Goal
Watch as many movies with IMDb ratings of 5.4 or lower as you can from September 1, 2021 to September 31, 2021.
btw - I know you're only trying to grant us one more day to watch horrible films, but September actually ends on the 30th :D
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Torgo wrote: September 1st, 2021, 11:17 pm
pitchorneirda wrote: August 30th, 2021, 12:53 pm Goal
Watch as many movies with IMDb ratings of 5.4 or lower as you can from September 1, 2021 to September 31, 2021.
btw - I know you're only trying to grant us one more day to watch horrible films, but September actually ends on the 30th :D
Haha! Good catch :thumbsup:
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. Effects (1979) 84 min. IMDb: 5.4/My rating: 8

I wasn't planning to participate in this challenge, but I was planning to watch some horror movies that qualify, so why not?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Sweet and Lowdown
2. The Gruesome Twosome (1967) 4.9 on IMDb

The plot sounds great on paper here, circling around a mother and son who scalp young women to sell the most realistic wigs possible, and there are some grisly moments as we witness a scalping - and later intestines pulled out - in graphic detail. The splatter scenes are few and far between though and almost everything else is tepid at best. The acting is decidedly second-rate, full of rehearsed line delivery, and the dialogue-free 'suspense' sequences are terrible.

And yeah, I know that we have a user called GruesomeTwosome. My apologies Grue if you are reading this. :ermm:
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Well, this was a slight improvement. Emphasis on slight. Don't think I'll be watching any more Herschell Gordon Lewis films this month*. :ermm:
Sweet and Lowdown
3. The Gore Gore Girls (1972) 5.3 on IMDb

On the plus side, the lead actor is very solid here, especially compared to the tepid supporting players, the splatter is as imaginative as ever, and the go-go dance routines are decent considering that they are mostly filler. That said, the film tries very hard to be a comedy - and fails. The PI delivers the most cringe-worthy wisecracks imaginable, often joking at the expense of the recent murder victims and there is a very unfunny part breast-milking a victim.

* Unless I rewatch The Wizard of Gore or The Uh-Oh, two genuinely great HGL films with ridiculously low ratings.
Long live the new flesh!
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Don't know how many I'm going to hit for this - may spend more time watching good films from Eastern Europe this month, hard to say - this is a month where the challenges don't line up at all so choices have to be made. Anyway my goal this time is to hit a wider variety of countries and genres than I usually do, and not just stick to my usual action/sci-fi/Eurospy diet from the US, Canada, Italy and the Philippines. Also want to make some headway on the Best of the Worst list. Here goes

1. The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning (Robert Berlinger, 2007) 4.5 IMDb
USA, action/adventure/comedy - hixploitation

I've now seen just about half of the original series this "prequel" is based on, and continue to believe it is one of the outright stupidest TV shows in American history; but for whatever reason (nostalgia mostly for sure) I continue to make my way through it. I watched an episode just before this for comparison's sake and as bad as the TV show was, the comparison doesn't favor the newer film at all. There's a certain "lovability" to the characters in the original show for one thing, and while I can't say any of the actors are great thespians or anything, they are all at least competent within the limited requirements of the show, and there's a consistency to them that sometimes transcends the inconsistencies and silliness of the scripts. And the car chases and crashes are quite solid by 80s American TV standards.

This film on the other hand just feels, quite naturally, like a cheap cash-in that provides the bare minimum of nostalgia-pandering and adds in a bunch of boobies (mostly silicone-enhanced) and an enormous amount of sleazy and toilet humor, with very little sense of any camaraderie between the characters, actors that are mostly worse than their TV counterparts (it's not a shock that there was only one name familiar to me - Willie Nelson in the only bit of perfect casting as Uncle Jesse), and very little action which surprised me until I saw the low budget - action sequences are a lot more expensive these days. It's pretty terrible all in all though mostly it's just boring.

2. Russian Ninja / Russian Terminator (Mats Helge Olsson/Anders Nilsson, 1989) 2.8 IMDb
Denmark/Sweden, action

This was discussed on the very first Best of the Worst episode but it took me all this time to get around to it, maybe because it just didn't look funny enough. And...it wasn't. As the guys mention on the show, it's a Nordic production where all the actors speak English - but few if any of them are actual English-speakers so they learned their lines phonetically. So much for all Scandinavian actors being like Liv Ullmann or Alicia Vikander! The lead actor, Frederick Offrein, is actually Dutch-born but has apparently spent his career in Sweden, so I'll refer to him as Swedish Kenny Rogers,

just because. Anyway SKR is hired by "the government" I guess to get some papers that are being held by shadowy bad guys who also have a hostage who is the boyfriend of the daughter of "the government" guy, and he's also supposed to thwart the threat of the titular ninja character who... really isn't very important until the last few minutes of the movie. Why the gub'mint wants SKR - who is retired, making his living as a photographer, and is a good 20 years too old to do James Bond shit, I don't know. Nobody does. Lots of low-rent action, a confusing plot with various people seeming to be the bad guys at any particular moment, and hilariously awful acting, much of it no doubt due to the non-fluent line readings. This was just a bit more fun than the previous film but just a little too slow and turgid to get in the so-bad-it's-good territory.
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

2. Going Overboard-1989: 2/10 1.8
Spoiler
1. The Glory Stompers-1967: 7/10 5.1
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I mean, of course with a Low Rating Challenge, I've gotta have a proper...
GODFREY HOOOOOO-DOOOOOOOWWWWNNNN!!!!!!!!!

ImageImageImage
6. The Ultimate Ninja (1986)
IMDB: 3.9

7. Ninja 8: Warriors of Fire (1987)
IMDB: 3.6

8. Thunder Ninja Kids: Wonderful Mission (1990)
IMDB: 3.7

The Ultimate Ninja is pretty standard '80s Ho ninja shenanigans with Roger and Ronald, top class white and black ninjas squaring off. It's one like Ninja Terminator that makes for an ideal entry point into Ho's oeuvre. Warriors of Fire on the other hand is something else altogether. While it has the standard white guy ninjas, Ho also splices in clips from a supernatural revenge flick that reminded me a little of Lady Terminator. Pretty fun, nonsensical gibberish. Thunder Ninja Kids 2 is Ho's attempt at a Three Ninjas-style kung fu for kiddies flick (the second in the Thunder Ninja Kids series) and is even more than the first one obviously spliced together from multiple movies to form a vague narrative about a bunch of folks trying to get a buddha statue. Not top-tier Ho IMO.
Silga

Post by Silga »

1. The Boy Next Door (Rob Cohen, 2015) 1/10 4,7 on IMDB

Might be the worst film I watched in 2021.

Absurd thriller where clichés reign over any creativity. I like Jennifer Lopez in certain roles and she has enough talent, but this tragedy of a film is not the case.
the search for good stuff among IMDb lows
vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer »

1. Sea Beast (Paul Ziller, 2008) - 4/10 4.2
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Sweet and Lowdown
4. Bloody Pit of Horror (1965) 4.7 on IMDb

Given that the antagonist here believes himself to be the reincarnation/spirit of a famous "Crimson Executioner", this horror flick manages to mount some nifty torture scenes as his victims are killed. The torture parts though are relatively few and far between and most of the filler is dull, including some not-so-raunchy photo shoots. The antagonist is also more goofy than scary and has the most ridiculous habit of talking aloud about himself in the third person.
Long live the new flesh!
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Junky Genres
action/adventure/comedy/science fiction/sport/thriller
hixploitation; post-apocalypse action; teensexcomedy
Crappy Countries
Denmark, Italy, Sweden, USA
What do IMDb voters know anyway?

2. Russian Ninja / Russian Terminator (Mats Helge Olsson/Anders Nilsson, 1989) 2.8 IMDb
3. I predatori dell'anno omega / Warrior of the Lost World (David Worth, 1984) 2.6 IMDb
Italy, action/science fiction/thriller; post-apocalypse action

Is Robert Ginty to be my nemesis this month? The last movie I watched in August starred the guy, and here I unknowingly stumble on him again just three films later. Thankfully he's in a less-dominant role here, and he's maybe *slightly* less boring in this Mad Max-inspired post-apocalyptic sci-fi-action flick made in Italy with an international cast (Indian Persis Khambatta as Nastasia who functions basically as "the girl", British Donald Pleasance in the Donald Pleasance role du jour, in this case Bond villain type who's trying to run the Brave New World, literally, and Fred Williamson as... not really sure what his function was until the end, and even then, uhhh). Most of the secondary roles are filled by Italian talent; the main cast all seem to be shot with synch sound and not dubbed, rather unusual for an Italian genre production and probably due to this having an American director. Ginty as the never-named Rider rides an intelligent talking motorcycle equipped with rockets and all kinds of cool shit through the wastelands, and while escaping some goons crashes through a magic barrier into the secret hideout of McWayne (Harrison Muller), who is trying to establish a peace-and-love hippie government to combat Pleasance's "Omega". Alas McWayne has been captured, and his daughter Nastasia and others try to convince the Rider to save him and save their future, telling him he's The Chosen One. Yeah, you've heard and seen everything here before. Points for a slightly more varied production than usual in these low-budget efforts; it's not all deserts and scrub, there was a *little* effort put into the city of the Omega people, and some of the costumes, vehicles, etc, are not bad. Strange ending that seems to be trying to do a couple of things at once, possibly including pointing towards a sequel that never happened.

4. Revenge of the Cheerleaders (Richard Lerner, 1976) 4.6 IMDb
USA, comedy/sport; teensexcomedy

Bottom of the barrel high school sex comedy with a very lame plot about evil real estate tycoons, conspiring with some of the school board, wanting to tear down Aloha High School so as to make a lovely and expensive new golf course/condo development. But mostly the plot is just an excuse to showcase a LOT of nudity and really dumb humor - it seems nobody at Aloha is even making a pretense of going to school, just using it as a place to fuck and do drugs. There is so little plot here that they had to stretch a couple of unfunny and uninteresting scenes - the drugs-in-spaghetti-in-the-lunchroom sequence, and the basketball game, out to interminable length just to get this sucker up to it's 87 minute runtime. There are a few interesting elements here - though none individually or additively are enough to make me think this deserves even the rating it has. First are the last 15 minutes or so, which almost go into surreal territory as the heroic cheerleaders try to save their kidnapped principal from said evil developers, first finding him in a huge dinosaur mock-up, then following the kidnapper into a cave, which is located below a shopping mall (with an elevator!), then into a big concrete spillway or possibly the Los Angeles River channel, then into a golf course which happens to have a bunch of quicksand - which is right OVER the bad guy's hideout. This doesn't feel like it's even supposed to make any sense, it's just scene following scene, whatever location they could use that day. Then we have the fact that one of the cheerleaders is visibly, like 8 months, pregnant - and is still cheering. This was because the actress was pregnant and the producers chose not to replace her but it just feels awkward and weird. Then there's a certain name in the production credits - one "Nathaniel Dorsky" who is credited with co-writing, co-producing, and cinematography. The same ND who has become a forum favorite amongst the Experimental Mafia? According to IMDb, yes, but I have my doubts. Anybody have a clue? Another bit of trivia - David Hasselhoff's first role as star basketball player "Boner" (the names here are great - the principal is "Hall Walker"). Also I should mention that though this was an HD copy from a BD, the color is more than a little washed out - whether that's the source or a poor transfer, I have no idea - and the sound is really poor throughout, which seems to me to be source-related, just very low-budget, poor sound recording.

Maybe worth seeing for the strange last few minutes, but that's about it, pretty abysmal overall.
Last edited by OldAle1 on September 3rd, 2021, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The Swinging Sexy Sixties

Tacky, titillating and terrible, from nudie cuties to sexy sci-fi, the sixties had lots of shit to shovel onto an unsuspecting audience. Naturally I spent a whole day on these.

9. The Bellboy and the Playgirls (Francis Ford Coppola, Fritz Umgelter, 1962)
IMDB: 3.1

Coppola likes to pretend Dementia 13 was his feature debut, but in fact he directed two garbage nudie cuties before that: this doofy Jerry Lewis ripoff (where he directed all the 3-D color scenes) and the cornball boobie-filled western pastiche Tonight For Sure. They both suck, so it was probably wise of Coppola to purge these from his resume.

10. Adam and 6 Eves (John Wallis, 1962)
IMDB: 5.4

This pointless nudie cutie finds a kinda gross fat dude stranded on an island paradise with six nubile and oddly unperturbed beauties. There's little to this one beyond seeing a flabby, hairy guy ogling oblivious nymphettes.

11. Zeta One (Michael Cort, 1969)
IMDB: 4.0

For those who like their retro-futurist sci-fi laced with janky sex and nudity or thought Barbarella was too well-written and tame, Zeta One will deliver the goods in all its nonsensical splendor.

12. One Naked Night (Albert T. Viola, 1965)
IMDB: 5.1

I actually found this pseudo avant garde sex flick fairly interesting with an opaque narrative and a cool, jazzy score, it's was easier to watch than many of these.

13. 3 in a Towel (Marty Rackum, 1969)
IMDB: 3.2

Toss this one in the counter culture waste of time pile. 3 in a Towel is mostly a parade of naked, dirty hippies doing very unsexy things under the impression that it's the opposite. The closing credits were almost amusing though, written on various women's body parts. Special mention of the absolutely horrendous editing in this film.

14. Three in the Attic (Richard Wilson, 1968)
IMDB: 5.4

Apparently a favorite of Tarantino's, I don't really see it. A scummy dude screws over three women who proceed to lock him in an attic and take turns sexing him into exhaustion. Weird premise with a meandering narrative and relentlessly unlikable characters. I don't know what Tarantino saw in this one.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

01. 3.0* - Oolong Courtyard: KungFu School by Yen-Ping Chu (2018) IMDb: 5.1

A belated sequel. I never watched the first film, but that's hardly a problem. If you're familiar with the type of comedy Chow/Ng did in the 90s, you should feel right at home here. The biggest difference comes from the HK/China switch, with China still struggling to nail the tone and vibe of their comedies. Two street hustlers get caught in the act, in return to have to steal a divine stone from a monastery. They manage to sweet talk the monks into letting them stay, but the longer they stay with them, the more they start to feel at home. Other parties are also looking for the stone though, and the monastery becomes a real battleground. The mix of comedy and action feels familiar, but somehow China doesn't really have the talent (yet) to pull off this type of expressive comedy. There are some fun gags, the pacing is solid, and I never got bored or disinterested, but in the end, the film left me longing for the original. Decent filler, but know what you're getting yourself into.
Silga

Post by Silga »

2. Grown Ups 2 (Dennis Dugan, 2013) 2/10 5,4 on IMDb

Somehow manages to go even lower than the first one. Sandman can sure do better.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

02. 3.0* - Tides by Tim Fehlbaum (2021) IMDb: 5.4

Tides is a film with potential. The intro scenes are grand, and it looked as if Fehlbaum was setting the stage for an adventurous sci-fi flick. Such a bummer that the alternative title for this film is The Colony, which perfectly explains the direction this film was about to take. A real disappointment if you ask me. A couple of generations after mankind has fled planet Earth, a mission is set up to return to mankind's home planet, hoping that Earth has recovered enough to be habitable again. The first signs look good, but then the members of the mission are overpowered by a group of survivors. The film looks absolutely stunning. Strong camera work, great use of color, some impressive set pieces. Everything's here to do a great sci-fi, except that the film is greatly lacking in actual sci-fi elements. The human drama is quite dull and there's way too much tepid dialogue for a genre film. This could've been so much better, still, avid sci-fi fans will find quite a bit to like here.

03. 3.5* - Still Life of Memories [Sutiru Raifu Obu Memorizu] by Hitoshi Yazaki (2018) IMDb: 4.9

I've seen quite a few Japanese dramas, but this one was quite peculiar. It's a surprisingly demure film, certainly considering its premise. It's also probably a bit too artsy for its own good, but after a somewhat rough start, director Yazaki manages to create something quite beautiful and magical. Haruma is a photographer who specializes in black and white photography. One day Rei visits one of Haruma's exhibitions. She's quite taken with his work and commissions a photoshoot. Haruma somewhat reluctantly agrees and finds himself conflicted when he is asked to photograph Rei's genitalia. The story about an artist becoming infatuated and somewhat overwhelmed by a new and rather taboo subject certainly isn't new, but Yazaki's particular blend of cold and warm drama is quite unique. The performances are strong, there are some memorable moments and some pretty emotional scenes. Not everything works, the beginning is a little too tough for its own good, but stick with it, and you might discover a very worthwhile drama.

Bottoms up
01. 3.0* - Oolong Courtyard: KungFu School by Yen-Ping Chu (2018) IMDb: 5.1
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

1. El enigma del ataud (1967) 4.6

AKA The Orgies of Dr. Orloff - but there is no Dr. Orloff, and the orgies have nothing to do with the rest of the film
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

1. Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976, Edmonds) 4/10 - IMDb: 5,1
Spoiler
1. Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976, Edmonds) 4/10 - IMDb: 5,1
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Sweet and Lowdown
5. The Angry Red Planet (1959) 5.3 on IMDb

This is a bit slow to start with much more dialogue than action and lifeless human characters. Once the action arrives on Mars though, things massively pick up. The overexposed orange special effects are very cool and make the creatures that the crew encounter on Mars look all the more eerie. The landscapes also genuinely pass for a mysterious, unfamiliar world thanks to the strong orange filters. The conclusion reached is nothing especially new/original though.
Long live the new flesh!
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

2. Come Play with Me (1977) 3.9

British sex comedy

Spoiler
1. El enigma del ataud (1967) 4.6
2. Come Play with Me (1977) 3.9
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

frbrown wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:35 am 2. Come Play with Me (1977) 3.9

British sex comedy
Directed by George Harrison
... Marks :ermm:

flavo5000 wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 1:54 pm Tacky, titillating and terrible, from nudie cuties to sexy sci-fi, the sixties had lots of shit to shovel onto an unsuspecting audience. Naturally I spent a whole day on these.
Reading the write-ups for this thread might be the most fun of any challenge. :lol:

Nothing to contribute so far ..
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Thank you for hosting, pitchorneirda! Good luck!

(Screenshots from 'Pervertissima' & 'Le jardin des supplices' (NSFW)),

1. Ukrizovaná (The Crucified, Boris Orlický, 1921) 7.5/10 (5.2)
2. Bud pripraven (Be Prepared!, Svatopluk Innemann, 1924) 7/10 (5.4)
3. Svejk v civilu (Svejk in Civilian Life, Gustav Machatý, 1927) 7/10 (5.4)
4. Una spada per l'impero (Sword of the Empire, Sergio Grieco, 1964) 6/10 (4.6)
5. New York chiama Superdrago (Secret Agent Super Dragon, Giorgio Ferroni, 1966) 6/10 (2.4)
6. OK Connery (Operation Kid Brother, Alberto De Martino, 1967) 6.5/10 (3.6)
7. Pervertissima (Jean-Louis van Belle, 1972) 6.5/10 (4.7)
8. Les couples du Bois de Boulogne (The Couples of Boulogne, Christian Gion, 1974) 6/10 (5.2)
9. Le jardin des supplices (The Garden of Torment, Christian Gion, 1976) 8/10 (4.6)
10. Oldrich a Bozena (Oldrich and Bozena, Otakar Vávra, 1985) 8/10 (5.4)
NSFW
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Sweet and Lowdown
5. The Angry Red Planet (1959) 5.3 on IMDb
6. The Atomic Submarine (1959) 5.2 on IMDb

This is a difficult film to get into at first with dull voiceover narration, even duller character melodrama and so much dialogue that any sense of adventure gets lost. Things improve when the crew discover a flying saucer and debate how to get inside and explore it. The scenes set inside the flying saucer are pretty decent, especially their conversations with a highly memorable one-eyed monster that communicates telepathically, but it is a chore getting there.
Long live the new flesh!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Crappy Cormen Comedies

Everyone is familiar with Roger Corman and his propensity for churning out cheap, junky flicks with the occasional diamond in the rough. As a producer everyone also remembers Corman's knack for finding talent and cultivating it, giving us directors like Joe Dante, James Cameron, John Sayles, Jonathan Demme, etc. What people may have forgotten is that even after Corman's AIP heydays, he continued to produced schlock well into the new millennium (and continues to even today). For some reason, I watched three of the comedies he produced after his prime to see how the mighty producer was holding up.

15. Stalled (Stefan Haves, 2000) IMDB: 4.8
A gnarly rock band has their shitty van break down in a backwater town called Hereabouts, AL (although looking a lot more like Louisiana where it was filmed). They get into a variety of uninteresting shenanigans with the overacting denizens of the hillbilly town. The back of the DVD for this describes its cast as a "hip young ensemble" which is probably a nice way of saying you won't recognize or care about anyone in this movie. The acting is painful and the directing is wildly incompetent, vainly searching for something interesting to film to no avail.

16. Beach Balls (Joe Ritter, 1988) IMDB: 4.5
This one is pretty much textbook '80s sex comedy at a beach complete with un-PC scummy behavior from our protagonists. Honestly the biggest laugh I got out of this was the hilariously crappy poster (see above) that makes the poor decision of putting a bulbous beach ball in front of the hot babe making her look like she's pregnant.

17. A Girl, Three Guys, and a Gun (Brent Florence, 2001) IMDB: 4.7
Never let a good trend go to waste, so sayeth Corman. Coming in 2001 at least 5 years later than many other movies attempting to fuse crime capers and comedy to cash in on Tarantino's popularity, this one is just dire. If you think bank robbers holding up a bingo night is the peak of hilarity, look no further.
15. Stalled (Stefan Haves, 2000)
16. Beach Balls (Joe Ritter, 1988)
17. A Girl, Three Guys, and a Gun (Brent Florence, 2001)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Junky Genres
action/adventure/animation/comedy/drama/family/science fiction/sport/thriller
hixploitation; post-apocalypse action; propaganda; teensexcomedy; unwanted sequel
Crappy Countries
Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Sweden, UK, USA
What do IMDb voters know anyway?

3. I predatori dell'anno omega / Warrior of the Lost World (David Worth, 1984) 2.6 IMDb
4. Revenge of the Cheerleaders (Richard Lerner, 1976) 4.6 IMDb
5. Smolensk (Antoni Krauze, 2016) 1.1 IMDb
Poland, drama/thriller - propaganda

When you see a film with a rating this low - on almost 40k votes - and it's NOT one of the usual suspects like Friedberg/Seltzer or Uwe Boll, and especially if it's from some country that doesn't have a rep for modern schlock (like Turkey or India), you know something's up. In this case it's because the film has a political point of view about a recent, tragic, contentious event. In this case it's the 2010 crash of Polish Air Force Flight 101 near the Russian city of Smolensk, which killed all 96 on board including the President of Poland, his wife and several high-ranking civilian and military officials. The disaster was ruled an accident due to poor ground conditions (fog) by both Polish and Russian authorities, but conspiracy theories from various sides in the political realm started appearing immediately, and this film is apparently the result of one such conspiracy - that the Russian government had the plane destroyed because President Lech Kaczyński was a progressive figure - at least in terms of keeping Poland and the other former Warsaw Pact countries from Putin's grasp. I'm sure there's more to it than that but I think that gives the nutshell. So the film has been trolled heavily by those who are either pro-Russian or who just reject any kind of conspiracy notions.

But...coming from the POV of someone who has no skin in the game, and wants to be as "objective" as possible...does this mean the film's low rating is wholly undeserved. Well, not really. It's not a particularly good film IMO either from a narrative standpoint (the way it makes or fails to make it's anti-Russian case) or an artistic one. It's wildly overlit and everything seems very pale and white - the skin tones in particular are rather unnatural - and it's just not well shot, seems like it was mostly done either handheld or with poorly secured tripods so the camera just drifts very slightly a lot; not shakycam, but not smooth and steady either. And the acting is pretty mediocre; lead Beata Fido, as a journalist investigating the case, is just dull and seems to have the same expression in every scene, and nobody else is much better. The film certainly does imply strongly that the Russians were behind it all, but it fails to hit all the marks for a really compelling case, and seems mostly to rely on the feeling that, well, of course the Russians would want to do this and then cover it up. Mind you I tend to believe there's some likelihood to this thesis - so in that sense the film had some effect, since I knew next to nothing about this event beforehand - but that's more due to a knowledge that the country under Putin has been playing dirty pool all along - and of course this is common enough in international politics generally. But all in all it's just a mediocre bit of propaganda, not a terrible one, and the last third of it does develop some suspense and gives more of a feel of the paranoid conspiracy thrillers of old, which I liked. So to my mind this is more a 4-5 kind of film - 1.1 just shows the typical IMDb trolling, par for the course.

6. Kis Vuk / A Fox's Tale (György Gát/János Uszák, 2008) 1.9 IMDb
UK/Hungary, animation, adventure, family; unwanted sequel

This sequel to an apparently beloved 1981 film on the other hand really does deserve it's low rating, and probably is not the victim of any kind of campaign - it's just that bad. I don't watch nearly as much animation as many here, and I have avoided a lot of the real dreck, but I suspect that even had I seen 1000 animated features before this it would still land in the bottom few dozen. It's low-rent CGI first of all - I'm still not a fan of CG animation and so far nearly all the best of what I've seen has been from Japan, where it seems animators understand that you're better off using new tools in new ways. Most Euro and American CG was in 2008 (and often still is 13 years later) just trying to mimic what traditional animation did, and this is an extremely poor example of that. Movement that isn't fluid, very distored-looking 3D modeling and depth of field, and character designs that range from barely tolerable (most of the animals) to downright ugly and laughable (most of the humans). Oh the story? A bunch of foxes frolic happily in the forest; friends are made with a boy in a wheelchair - who is supposed to be able to walk again but just hasn't tried - an evil woman runs a travelling circus and traps animals - the boy falls for a girl in the circus - there's a crow that shows up occasionally and raps in a very overtly African-American voice. There, you've got the ingredients, now you can come up with a more interesting and less generic story than what we're given here.
Last edited by OldAle1 on September 4th, 2021, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: September 4th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Crappy Cormen Comedies

Everyone is familiar with Roger Corman and his propensity for churning out cheap, junky flicks with the occasional diamond in the rough. As a producer everyone also remembers Corman's knack for finding talent and cultivating it, giving us directors like Joe Dante, James Cameron, John Sayles, Jonathan Demme, etc. What people may have forgotten is that even after Corman's AIP heydays, he continued to produced schlock well into the new millennium (and continues to even today). For some reason, I watched three of the comedies he produced after his prime to see how the mighty producer was holding up.
I just looked at his director filmography, and he's only got 6 - out of 56 - films with comedy listed as one of the genres; and all of them are mixtures of comedy and something else (usually horror). While I think he has a flair for humor at times, I think he's basically a serious and pessimistic guy, which is why a lot of that humor in his films is satirical and in the context of unrealistic situations, and it's almost never the primary focus. I never get the impression that mainstream comedy is something he's interested in or understands very well. So I guess it's no surprise that looking at his producer credits, the comedies look to be some of the worst and least-interesting films there. And you're just confirming it! I think when I delve more into his productions (maybe later this month) I'll probably be going more for the SF/horror stuff - though 80s sex-comedies do have their fascination.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

1. Monster Hunter (Paul W.S. Anderson, 2020, 🇺🇸) - 7/10 5.3
2. F9 (Justin Lin, 2021, 🇺🇸) - 5/10 5.2
ororama

Post by ororama »

2. W lesie dzis nie zasnie nikt/Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (2020) * 103 min. IMDb: 4.8/My rating: 6

A fun horror movie that doesn't break any new ground and doesn't take itself too seriously.
Spoiler
1. Effects (1979) 84 min. IMDb: 5.4/My rating: 8
*First time viewing
jonas2k

Post by jonas2k »

1. Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach (1988) imdb: 4.6
Silga

Post by Silga »

3. Enemies Closer (Peter Hyams, 2013) 3/10 5,2 on IMDb

A weird turn for The Muscles from Brussels. Van Damme plays a villain who is vegan and eco-friendly though very deadly against other humans. :D The rest of the cast are completely soulless. There are some glimpses of inspired fighting scenes, but not enough to actually make it into a worthwhile action film experience. I am not a big fan of Peter Hyams as well. Love Capricorn One and have fond memories about The Star Chamber and 2010, but I think both he and his son John Hyams are nothing special.
3. Enemies Closer (Peter Hyams, 2013) 3/10 5,2 on IMDb