Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Future challenges

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

flavo5000 wrote: January 26th, 2021, 4:51 pm I've been mentally waffling on whether I want to host the Run the Director again... Let me mull it over.
No problem; you have a few days to think it over unless somebody more enthusiastic places dibs on hosting first.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 26th, 2021, 6:02 pm Since the Directorial debut feature poll is running simultaneous I would love a Debut feature bonus challenge in the RtD challenge. In which you simply get a point in that BC if you watched a debut feature. Might encourage people to seek out some.
That's a cool idea, though with February being busy for me, I won't be including any bonus challenges if I end up hosting Run the Director. Or Experimental. At least with Benelux I can easily run a pie chart, if one that does not look as fancy as flavo's. :$
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

New page of the thread, so just to repeat for ease-of-reading:

These are the Challenges lined up for February:

-- Benelux

-- Experimental/Avant-Garde

-- Run the Director

More interested in hosting Benelux than either of the other two. Also happy to have the month off from hosting. ;) Again. :unsure:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

So, at this stage I'll start the Benelux Challenge thread on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning - unless a Belgian or Dutch user puts up their hand to host.

These are the folks who voted for 'Run the Director' last time. Might be nice for one of them to volunteer to host if flavo isn't up for it. :shifty:
28 points / Run the Director
3eyes
72aicm
allisoncm
blocho
flavo5000
frbrown
India Istanbul - 2
Lilarcor - 2
Lonewolf2003 - 3
maxwelldeux
Melvelet
OldAle1 - 2
psychotronicbeatnik - 2
nimimerkillinen
RogerTheMovieManiac88
St. Gloede
vortexsurfer - 2
zuma - 2
zzzorf
And these are the folks who voted for Experimental:
26 points / Experimental/Avant-Garde
allisoncm
flavo5000
frbrown - 2
hurluberlu - 3
jdidaco - 2
Lilarcor - 2
Melvelet - 2
nimimerkillinen
OldAle1
ororama
PeacefulAnarchy
peeptoad - 3
RogerTheMovieManiac88 - 2
sol
St. Gloede - 2
zuma
Image Image Image
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

I would offer to host AG/Experimental, but I am not at all keen on having to make decisions on what qualifies (and the discussions that would entail), especially when there are so many people on this forum better suited than I am to make that type of decision. Because of work I also wouldn't be doing any bonus challenges or anything... just straight tabulation of points/films and that's it. Sol, keep me as a last ditch backup only in case no one else is able or willing to host...
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Thanks, peeps. I have the same reservations regarding hosting Experiment/AG - that is, the eligibility quagmire. I appreciate you volunteering your services if needed. We'll see how things go. With around 72 hours before New Zealand crosses into February, there is time for others to still volunteer.
Image Image Image
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I can do Experimental/AG as well - but I too would be fairly limited. I could try a couple of bonus challenges though.

In terms of eligibility I'd say avant grade is quite loose and I would trust the participants - just don't mix in standard arthouse fare. Obviously there is a grey area, but if we, for instance, look at German New Wave I'd say Farocki and Sander are ok, Fassbinder and Wenders are a no-go.

In terms of bonus challenges, I could do:

Pda's Experimtal list (people's would need to list it though)
Reviews

Maybe I could add it Video Art, or promote either Shorts or Features?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

St. Gloede wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:46 pm I can do Experimental/AG as well - but I too would be fairly limited. I could try a couple of bonus challenges though.
Thanks, Chris - you rock. :banana:

This means we are currently looking at:

Benelux --> sol - unless a local user wants to host instead

Experimental --> Gloede

Run the Director --> flavo ?
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: January 28th, 2021, 11:02 am So, at this stage I'll start the Benelux Challenge thread on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning - unless a Belgian or Dutch user puts up their hand to host.

These are the folks who voted for 'Run the Director' last time. Might be nice for one of them to volunteer to host if flavo isn't up for it. :shifty:
28 points / Run the Director
3eyes
72aicm
allisoncm
blocho
flavo5000
frbrown
India Istanbul - 2
Lilarcor - 2
Lonewolf2003 - 3
maxwelldeux
Melvelet
OldAle1 - 2
psychotronicbeatnik - 2
nimimerkillinen
RogerTheMovieManiac88
St. Gloede
vortexsurfer - 2
zuma - 2
zzzorf
And these are the folks who voted for Experimental:
26 points / Experimental/Avant-Garde
allisoncm
flavo5000
frbrown - 2
hurluberlu - 3
jdidaco - 2
Lilarcor - 2
Melvelet - 2
nimimerkillinen
OldAle1
ororama
PeacefulAnarchy
peeptoad - 3
sol
St. Gloede - 2
zuma
I never hosted a challenge before. But if no one more experienced comes forth I could do RtD before let's say this Sunday, I could give it a try. I would like some instructions for good ways to keep the score.

For rules I would use the same as flavo did last year, with having to post the first 3 of a run in one post first. And do some BCs; longest run, most directors, feature, maybe women directors.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:21 pm I never hosted a challenge before. But if no one more experienced comes forth I could do RtD before let's say this Sunday, I could give it a try.
Thanks, Lonewolf! I was actually think of asking you if you wanted to host Benelux, but I thought you might be too busy with all of the polls that you run on the forum. Happy for you to volunteer to run Run the Director if flavo needs the break - but only if you don't think it places too much work on your plate.
Image Image Image
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Quick question: Is there a simple table without names I can copy paste from somewhere?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:21 pm I never hosted a challenge before. But if no one more experienced comes forth I could do RtD before let's say this Sunday, I could give it a try.
Thanks, Lonewolf! I was actually think of asking you if you wanted to host Benelux, but I thought you might be too busy with all of the polls that you run on the forum. Happy for you to volunteer to run Run the Director if flavo needs the break - but only if you don't think it places too much work on your plate.
RtD is the challenge I myself will be most active in next month, so if I host one I rather do that one than Benelux. Altho it would be nice to have a local host indeed.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

St. Gloede wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:43 pm Quick question: Is there a simple table without names I can copy paste from somewhere?

Code: Select all

[tabh]Participants[/tabh][table][tr][td][b]Ranking[/b][/td][td][b]Participant[/b][/td][td][b]Score[/b][/td][/tr]

[/table]
Rows look like:

Code: Select all

[tr][td]22[/td][td]shugs[/td][td]22[/td][/tr]
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

St. Gloede wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:43 pm Quick question: Is there a simple table without names I can copy paste from somewhere?
I think Max put together a template for hosting at some point.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:48 pm
sol wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm
RtD is the challenge I myself will be most active in next month, so if I host one I rather do that one than Benelux. Altho it would be nice to have a local host indeed.
If you want to host RtD, you can. I actually have google sheets I used last year to keep track of everything including the bonus challenge that was based on maxwelldeux's template that I can share with you. it auto-tabulates the rankings for you, so it's just plugging in numbers from each post in the thread and then copying the pre-defined table format over into the OP periodically.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

flavo5000 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:57 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:48 pm
sol wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm Thanks, Lonewolf! I was actually think of asking you if you wanted to host Benelux, but I thought you might be too busy with all of the polls that you run on the forum. Happy for you to volunteer to run Run the Director if flavo needs the break - but only if you don't think it places too much work on your plate.
If you want to host RtD, you can. I actually have google sheets I used last year to keep track of everything including the bonus challenge that was based on maxwelldeux's template that I can share with you. it auto-tabulates the rankings for you, so it's just plugging in numbers from each post in the thread and then copying the pre-defined table format over into the OP periodically.
Thanks. If you could share those with me I would be much obliged
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

St. Gloede wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:46 pm I can do Experimental/AG
Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:48 pm RtD is the challenge I myself will be most active in next month, so if I host one I rather do that one
Thanks, guys. Just a reminder regarding the rules of the Challenge that you are hosting, don't just copy and paste what others wrote last year. We decided this year to simplify the runtimes for everything not a feature and we are going with:

- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.

:cheers:
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Thanks for the reminder. Will start it later today
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

General question: how are films that are labeled shorts (on IMDB) and also over 40min tabulated?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

peeptoad wrote: February 1st, 2021, 7:07 pm General question: how are films that are labeled shorts (on IMDB) and also over 40min tabulated?
IMDB tags aren't considered. Rule is just based on runtime.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

peeptoad wrote: February 1st, 2021, 7:07 pm General question: how are films that are labeled shorts (on IMDB) and also over 40min tabulated?
As feature, cause according to our own definition anything over 40 mins counts as a feature, regardless of how they are called on other sites.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Awesome, thanks.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

What are the plans for the 'Waves from Around the World' wrt to definion of a 'Wave'?
Is it Nouvelle Vague-influenced movements, all movements that have been called 'New Wave' by scholars or is it all film movements?
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I was hoping that whoever volunteered to host the Challenge could curate a few lists for the OP - a good French New Wave list, Romanian New Wave list, Australian New Wave list etc.

I've tried looking up British New Wave lists on Letterboxd (on the hunt for challenge doubles) and there are tons of varying length, some excluding certain films, some including others. This might not be the easiest challenge to host, but given how popular the option was, hopefully somebody keen and enthusiastic will step in!
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Yeah, that's why I wanted to ask early to have a bit of discussion.
For British cinema it's the question whether it only includes "New Wave" (however that is defined, typically ending sometime in the mid-60s) or also everything dubbed 'kitchen sink realism'.
For other waves, there's multiple waves (for exampe see the 3 waves in the Iranian New Wave Wikipedia article).
Overall, the use of the "New Wave" term is somewhat arbitrary. Is Neuer Deutscher Film only allowed because it's occasionally called German New Wave?
Is Dogme 95 not allowed because it was called just that and not Danish New Wave?
What about german Expressionism or Italian Neorealism? There's movements called 'New Wave' that are arguably closer to Neorealism than to Nouvelle Vague.

Do people get to count every movie that fits into the (eventually defined) set of movements? Are the rules more like in the Run the Director challenge?I personally don't really like the idea of only being allowed to switch back to a movement you previously challenged if you watch 3 movies in a row again although I am not against the idea of having to delve into a movement to some extent. Maybe "unlock with 3 movies but watch additional movies at any given time later on"?

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I like the unlocking idea, though we don't need to be overly restrictive either.

I think the host can decide which movements count (we can also do a discussion, make appeals, etc.). Personally, I'd say everything that is called a new wave counts, and that there are other inclusions as well, such as Berlin School. Not sure about Neorealism, Dogme, Expressionism, etc. should be counted, as these are more specific stylistic movements, rather than a wave (it is not the "Film Movement Challenge") but I'm not overly invested either way.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

St. Gloede wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:19 pm I like the unlocking idea, though we don't need to be overly restrictive either.

I think the host can decide which movements count (we can also do a discussion, make appeals, etc.). Personally, I'd say everything that is called a new wave counts, and that there are other inclusions as well, such as Berlin School. Not sure about Neorealism, Dogme, Expressionism, etc. should be counted, as these are more specific stylistic movements, rather than a wave (it is not the "Film Movement Challenge") but I'm not overly invested either way.
I thought it was basically the "Film Movement Challenge". It seems kind of arbitrary to limit to just film movements with Wave in the title since that's just kind of a random buzzword used by film critics every time a resurgence in good films pops in a country that may not have had much output of merit in a while (I heard a podcast a couple weeks ago referring to the Turkish New Wave and Romanian New Wave from recent years for instance). I will say if it's limited to just film. movements with "wave" or "new wave" in the title, that probably makes it easier to determine inclusion assuming there is a comprehensive list of those somewhere that could be added to the OP. If it's really any film movement though, that's gonna be tough to determine what actually constitutes a "movement".

Taste of Cinema defines a film movement as "a wave of films usually following a particular trend in cinema of the time. Most trending movements in cinema are regional but influence world cinema. These films have cultural origins usually influenced by national tragedy, popular culture, or social issues." So they muddy the waters by essentially equating a movement and wave as the same thing.

Based on this definition even things like slasher films in the '80s and Nudie Cuties of the '60s would qualify which I'm sure wasn't really the intent.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

flavo5000 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:34 pm
St. Gloede wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:19 pm I like the unlocking idea, though we don't need to be overly restrictive either.

I thought it was basically the "Film Movement Challenge". It seems kind of arbitrary to limit to just film movements with Wave in the title since that's just kind of a random buzzword used by film critics every time a resurgence in good films pops in a country that may not have had much output of merit in a while (I heard a podcast a couple weeks ago referring to the Turkish New Wave and Romanian New Wave from recent years for instance). I will say if it's limited to just film. movements with "wave" or "new wave" in the title, that probably makes it easier to determine inclusion assuming there is a comprehensive list of those somewhere that could be added to the OP. If it's really any film movement though, that's gonna be tough to determine what actually constitutes a "movement".

Taste of Cinema defines a film movement as "a wave of films usually following a particular trend in cinema of the time. Most trending movements in cinema are regional but influence world cinema. These films have cultural origins usually influenced by national tragedy, popular culture, or social issues." So they muddy the waters by essentially equating a movement and wave as the same thing.

Based on this definition even things like slasher films in the '80s and Nudie Cuties of the '60s would qualify which I'm sure wasn't really the intent.
It is not about the name, but rather what the movement represents/does and their influences.

The key waves, that is to say the French, Japanese, German, Czechoslovakian and Brazilian (beyond all starting within a decade of each other, and being part of an easily identifiable wave around the world) had one clear proponent that separated them from what came before, namely a more overt self-awareness and eagerness to play with the medium.

As Rohmer described it, it was a compromise between avant garde and popular cinema - essentially avant garde techniques, such distancing effects (editing, framing, etc.) , meta elements, etc. merged with narrative cinema. Across the word directors started to get creative, and question what cinema could be.

There's a clear Brecthian influence across all these movements, which is to say you are aware that you are watching a film (sometimes hyper-aware) - and you can see this exact type of considerations playing into later key new waves such as the Iranian and Romanian New Waves. There is a clear line of familiar thought and cinematic ideology. In some ways they could all be said to be part of the same movement, and that is especially clear as you see elements of say the German, Brazilian and Romanian new wave enjoying clearer overlaps with the more experimental work of Godard, Rivette, etc. After the French New Wave was deemed to have ended. Judge's recent films for example play with meta elements, archival footage, screens, etc. in a way that is similar to Godard is the late 60s and 70s.

I don't think neo-realism fits in very well with this, while I can see an argument for Dogme. Still, Dogme had a clearly defined ideology and aim, which makes them very much their own thing, ie an official movement - far more specialized than what the new wave was. As for German expressionism, yes, to the extent it existed does fit in the same tradition however - though that was mainly trends from theater seeping into a few films in the late 10s/early 20s.

Now, among film movements deemed new wave there are a few exceptions, notably the first and second Taiwanese Waves, both of which were leaning more towards the broader contemplative movement/wave in Asia, and the first of which in particular had an interest in coming of age/family stories - though there are still elements of comparison, same goes for Fifth Generation (China) and the South Korean New Wave (which was a big talking point a decade ago, but the term has rather disappeared).

There is also a broader trend among the new waves to move towards minimalism and contemplative cinema, ie Taiwan is by no means alone. Even in the early days, Rivette was moving towards minimalism at a rapid speed, and there were always varying degrees of minimalism in various forms (including Cinema Maginal taking it in a direction closer to Dogme), but from the Iranian New Wave and onwards - slower, immersive and serene narratives started to take the focus. This can also be seen within the Berlin School and of course, the Romanian New Wave - which seems to just love placing you in awkward, long scenes. In other words, we can craft a narrative of how new waves grew and inspired each other.

That said, there is also an eager inclination to call any country having a set of filmmakers diverge from conventions and bringing in something fresh a new wave - which is perfectly applicable, and does not neccesarily need to be tied to the previous history or "family tree".

This said x2, movements like French Expressionism and Soviet Montage does fit Rohmer's general description, and definition - and who even cares what Rohmer, or any one individual or set of individuals think.

Personally I'm inclined to keep it more canonical, to highlight the familiar bond between the new waves (which was my idea when I pitched it) but I don't mind an extended interpretation at all.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

St. Gloede wrote: February 16th, 2021, 9:00 pm
flavo5000 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:34 pm

It is not about the name, but rather what the movement represents/does and their influences.

The key waves, that is to say the French, Japanese, German, Czechoslovakian and Brazilian (beyond all starting within a decade of each other, and being part of an easily identifiable wave around the world) had one clear proponent that separated them from what came before, namely a more overt self-awareness and eagerness to play with the medium.

As Rohmer described it, it was a compromise between avant garde and popular cinema - essentially avant garde techniques, such distancing effects (editing, framing, etc.) , meta elements, etc. merged with narrative cinema. Across the word directors started to get creative, and question what cinema could be.

There's a clear Brecthian influence across all these movements, which is to say you are aware that you are watching a film (sometimes hyper-aware) - and you can see this exact type of considerations playing into later key new waves such as the Iranian and Romanian New Waves. There is a clear line of familiar thought and cinematic ideology. In some ways they could all be said to be part of the same movement, and that is especially clear as you see elements of say the German, Brazilian and Romanian new wave enjoying clearer overlaps with the more experimental work of Godard, Rivette, etc. After the French New Wave was deemed to have ended. Judge's recent films for example play with meta elements, archival footage, screens, etc. in a way that is similar to Godard is the late 60s and 70s.

I don't think neo-realism fits in very well with this, while I can see an argument for Dogme. Still, Dogme had a clearly defined ideology and aim, which makes them very much their own thing, ie an official movement - far more specialized than what the new wave was. As for German expressionism, yes, to the extent it existed does fit in the same tradition however - though that was mainly trends from theater seeping into a few films in the late 10s/early 20s.

Now, among film movements deemed new wave there are a few exceptions, notably the first and second Taiwanese Waves, both of which were leaning more towards the broader contemplative movement/wave in Asia, and the first of which in particular had an interest in coming of age/family stories - though there are still elements of comparison, same goes for Fifth Generation (China) and the South Korean New Wave (which was a big talking point a decade ago, but the term has rather disappeared).

There is also a broader trend among the new waves to move towards minimalism and contemplative cinema, ie Taiwan is by no means alone. Even in the early days, Rivette was moving towards minimalism at a rapid speed, and there were always varying degrees of minimalism in various forms (including Cinema Maginal taking it in a direction closer to Dogme), but from the Iranian New Wave and onwards - slower, immersive and serene narratives started to take the focus. This can also be seen within the Berlin School and of course, the Romanian New Wave - which seems to just love placing you in awkward, long scenes. In other words, we can craft a narrative of how new waves grew and inspired each other.

That said, there is also an eager inclination to call any country having a set of filmmakers diverge from conventions and bringing in something fresh a new wave - which is perfectly applicable, and does not neccesarily need to be tied to the previous history or "family tree".

This said x2, movements like French Expressionism and Soviet Montage does fit Rohmer's general description, and definition - and who even cares what Rohmer, or any one individual or set of individuals think.

Personally I'm inclined to keep it more canonical, to highlight the familiar bond between the new waves (which was my idea when I pitched it) but I don't mind an extended interpretation at all.
I think if it's canonical, we would need to make sure to have a clear list of eligible films to prevent arguments from what should or shouldn't be included. Is Louis Malle part of the French New Wave? He made films during that time in France and his films did share some basic traits with some of the other directors like Truffaut and Godard but was not part of cahiers du cinema and rarely if ever consorted with any of the other filmmakers. I don't think he himself considered his films to be part of it, though he does get lumped in with them quite a lot. Chabrol is almost the opposite where he was very much a part of that cahiers crowd but most of his films bore little if any aesthetic similarity to other French New Wave artists and evolved his style in a much more commercial direction. Also that the film list is greater than 1000 films, which is just a general guideline for these challenges.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I don't think that is neccesary, as many of these movement, as well as the start and end-date are to an extent broadly arbitrary and still in dispute, ie does the French New Wave end in '64,' 67, '71 or' 73?

You can direct the focus, without becoming overtly strict.

Selecting the specific mocements/waves that are applicable for the challenge should be more than enough. Which directors and films are included in any given wave is not as official as Dogme, and often a patchwork of connections.

Of course, we can set the rule that any film on an attached help list is automatically allowed, while films not included in them need a quick explanation. (Though I'm not sure if needed)

As for your question, Louis Malle is often associated with the French New Wave, especially with Zazie and The Fire Within, but he is generally not considered part of the clear Canon. Individual films by Malle can be expected to show up on the recommended lists.

The French New Wave was split in two with the more firm grouping of Cahiers du cinema, where everyone who was a critic turned filmmaker in the base period of '57 to' 67 generally gets automatic inclusion, and the more loose grouping of the Left Bank. The left bank grouping is comparable to how all the other new waves are understood and catalogued. The main names that are not questioned are Varda, Resnais, Demy and Marker, with Rouch usually included as well - but a case can be made for Malle, Robbe-Grillet, Duras and others.

As for Chabrol, he is generally written out of the cartslogueing, often after The Good Times Girls (1960, which is when he started to more directly move into genre filmmaking - though sometimes a later film or two is also included.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Guess what guys? It will already be Match in a little over one week. (D:) Time to call out for hosts. B)

These are the Challenges lined up for March:

-- Directed by Women

-- UK/Ireland

-- Waves from Around the World

Assuming allison is still up for hosting Directed by Women (I'll message her to confirm if she doesn't reply here over the next few days), that leaves us with two challenges to find hosts for.

Given how many UK and Irish users we have here, it would be nice to have a local host UK/IRE.

I'm really not keen on hosting Waves from Around the World due to all of the eligibility questions. Maybe somebody who gave it 2 or 3 points in last year's poll would like to volunteer to host?
19 points / Waves Around World
3eyes - 2
hurluberlu
jdidaco
Lilarcor - 3
Melvelet - 3
nimimerkillinen
PeacefulAnarchy
peeptoad
sol
St. Gloede - 3
At a pinch, I could host either challenge with minimal stats/tracking, but it would be nice to have someone keener if there is somebody out there...
Image Image Image
beavis

Post by beavis »

I am not ready to host a challenge yet, but I just made a list that might prove useful for the Waves Around the World challenge:
https://letterboxd.com/beavis/list/my-p ... cinematic/
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

New Wave Lists on iCM

If get stuck hosting this Challenge, I want to make it as easy on myself as possible, so I would just declare every film on a New Wave list on iCM as eligible.

Obviously, I'm not as well versed as others in this topic, so if any key countries are missing, please feel free to add an iCM list and post a link. Or even better, maybe volunteer to host the challenge yourself? ;)

This is what a found during a quick iCM search:

American New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/new+ ... sadvocado/

Australian New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+ ... haqudemus/

British New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/brit ... daviddoes/

Czech / Slovak New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/czec ... daviddoes/

French New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fren ... bearbones/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/jean ... ulanarchy/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fren ... ve/direct/

German New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/germ ... ave/zeppo/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/berl ... inema/tob/

Hong Kong New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/hong ... daviddoes/

Iranian New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/iran ... daviddoes/

Japanese New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/japa ... ave/zeppo/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/eros ... ma/mjf314/

Romanian New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/roma ... daviddoes/

South Korean New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/sout ... daviddoes/

Taiwanese New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/taiw ... /clogston/

Turkish New Wave
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/turk ... daviddoes/
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

I was considering hosting the Waves challenge.
I would probably open the thread rather early to allow room for discussion before March

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Melvelet wrote: February 21st, 2021, 12:25 pm I was considering hosting the Waves challenge.
I would probably open the thread rather early to allow room for discussion before March
Oh yes! :woot: Please do. Thank you, Melv! :worship:
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PM sent to allisoncm to confirm hosting duties for Directed by Women.

No UK or Irish users want to host the Official UK/Ire Challenge next month? :think: I guess it's open to anyone then. I'll step in and host if nobody else puts their hand up by the weekend, but I'm not going to say 'no' to a month off hosting duties if someone else is keen. ;)
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:45 am PM sent to allisoncm to confirm hosting duties for Directed by Women.

No UK or Irish users want to host the Official UK/Ire Challenge next month? :think: I guess it's open to anyone then. I'll step in and host if nobody else puts their hand up by the weekend, but I'm not going to say 'no' to a month off hosting duties if someone else is keen. ;)
If no UK or Irish volunteer before this weekend, I can do the UK challenge. My experience with hosting the RtD been positive (for me at least I hope for the participants too).
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:31 am
sol wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:45 am PM sent to allisoncm to confirm hosting duties for Directed by Women.

If no UK or Irish volunteer before this weekend, I can do the UK challenge. My experience with hosting the RtD been positive (for me at least I hope for the participants too).
Oh, you're certainly welcome to if you want to, but please don't feel obliged. Most users prefer not hosting two months in a row - myself included. tehe

The Run the Director Challenge has certainly run smoothly so far. You're doing a great job with the detailed stats. :thumbsup: If I had one wish, it would be slightly more frequent OP updates, but I'm sure that will be easier to do with UK/IRE since there is less data to track along the way (unless you plan on introducing several bonus challenges there).
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Oh - and an early eligibility question if you're up to it, Lonewolf. What do you think of I Care a Lot? Listed as a US/UK co-production on both IMDb and Letterboxd. Film is shot entirely in America and the production company seems to be American. The writer-director-producer is British though and at least a couple of the other producers are British... but the vast majority of producers are not British. Wikipedia also only lists the film as American (but that's not the best source usually for this sorta thing). Not seen the film myself of course, so no idea if it's particularly anchored to one country or the other.
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

No reply from allison yet. She was active on the forum 4 hours after I sent the message but I don't know if she read it (message is still in my Outbox).

Anybody know allison on another platform to ask her? I'm okay with trying to recruit another female host, but don't really want to start doing that if she's still keen to host.

EDIT: looks like Armo just read my mind and has already done that. :turned:
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:32 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:31 am

Oh, you're certainly welcome to if you want to, but please don't feel obliged. Most users prefer not hosting two months in a row - myself included. tehe

The Run the Director Challenge has certainly run smoothly so far. You're doing a great job with the detailed stats. :thumbsup: If I had one wish, it would be slightly more frequent OP updates, but I'm sure that will be easier to do with UK/IRE since there is less data to track along the way (unless you plan on introducing several bonus challenges there).
Thanks. Thanks also for the feedback. When I do another challenge I will try to do more updates. UK/Ir is indeed probably easier to track than RtD.

The only BC I was thinking about was about that Scorsese recoms to Wright list.