Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Future challenges

mjf314

Re: Future challenges

Post by mjf314 » August 28th, 2020, 1:46 pm

sol wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:16 pm
We could have an Official Animated Movies Challenge and an Unofficial TV Animation Challenge, but I don't think the appetite would be there for that?
I don't like the idea of taking attention away from TV. There may be people who are interested in animated TV, but miss the challenge (if it's unofficial) because they're busy with official challenges.
Onderhond wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Dunno? What about people who want game or theater recommendations? There are plenty of animated films, there's already a grey area with mini-series/OAVs that adds a ton of options, I don't see the need to make it even broader.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film
Based on the introduction of this article, I think TV episodes fit the definition pretty closely, unlike games and theater. Also, among members of this forum, there seems to be more interest in TV than in games or theater.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 28th, 2020, 1:48 pm

I don't see the point in this conversation.
The challenges are drastically switching from fun "film-watching in group" events into actual competitions, with hardcore players trying to fix up actual hurdles to make it harder for everyone. The reason for the soft rules from earlier was their inclusiveness. The people who would watch hundreds of films would not be affected by restrictions, and the people in the back didn't really care, as there is no stake to such challenges. There was room for all kind of playing and all kind of participants.
This current conversation is not inclusive, it aims to exclude certain productions from the game, as well as those who would intend to watch them. They should give it up if they want to be part in the challenge.

I can see that the majority of icm forumers seem to want this change, as participation never was this high before, but this is definitely not my approach to film-watching. I even read someone, a few posts above, who was considering hours of watching stuff they didn't actually want to watch, only to have a shot at winning a challenge, or taking time to "double check eligibility". I don't understand this hard approach on a hobby I indulge in for fun and enjoyment. Count me out.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 28th, 2020, 1:55 pm

cinephage wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:48 pm
This current conversation is not inclusive, it aims to exclude certain productions from the game, as well as those who would intend to watch them. They should give it up if they want to be part in the challenge.
While I get that, nobody joins a book club and brings a newspaper to the meetings.
mjf314 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:46 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film
Based on the introduction of this article, I think TV episodes fit the definition pretty closely, unlike games and theater.
Anyone interested in semantic games can argue they fit right in. Games in particular, with Netflix and their interactive films creating a neat grey area that binds both artforms together.

In real life though, nobody ever said "let's watch a film" and put on an episode of Friends.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 2:06 pm

cinephage wrote:
I even read someone, a few posts above, who was considering hours of watching stuff they didn't actually want to watch, only to have a shot at winning a challenge, or taking time to "double check eligibility". I don't understand this hard approach on a hobby I indulge in for fun and enjoyment. Count me out.
:think:

Sounds like you have skim-read some of the things that I have talked about and have it mixed it up with what other people have said. :shrug:

Let's step back and review my stance on things:

I am not interested in winning any of the remaining 2020 Challenges, however, I am interested in doing well in each of the Challenges. Why is that? Maxwelldeux came up with this great thing called the Challenge Olympics, which rewards active participation in a challenge even without winning it. So I want to do well. I don't want to win. As for watching stuff that I didn't want to watch, I definitely never said that. I did mention upthread that I had lined up a whole bunch of feature length animated films in my blind. I was initially my plan to merely cruise through these during September, however, with the unlevel playing field that rewards participants who indulge in TV more than those who indulge in movies, I am switching my priorities. There are definitely some animated films that I WILL watch in September, but I am going to re-prioritise some of the animated TV shows on Netflix that I have decent IMDb ratings that I have never seen. Usually these would be super-low priority for me, but with a system that is going to make it difficult for me to score well in the Challenges Olympics without making them more of a priority, it is an easy change of mind.

I never said that I had no time to check the eligibility of what I have watched. What I said is that if I end up hosting the USSR/Russia Challenge, I will not copy and paste every title into IMDb that all participants list (in order to check if they are really eligible) which is what I have had to do with the current German Etc Challenge with some of the strange things that blueboybob has tried to include. Honestly it's not a big deal, but I would prefer to have the spare time to check this stuff as challenge host. And I won't have the time to do so if I'm also investing in the Setting Up the 2021 Challenge Schedule threads. That's all.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 2:09 pm

mightysparks wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:44 pm
I'm not participating but I think updating the shorts/TV rules to 90 minutes in general is a nice idea. I like being able to include shorts and TV in challenges (even though I don't really do it), but 60 mins does seem a bit generous now.
I think this would definitely be a good thing to discuss, either on the 2021 setting-up threads or in late November/early December once the 2021 Schedule is finalised.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Once again, this has been bumped off the most recent page of the thread, so another re-post:

Less than 4 days away from September; who wants to host next month's Challenges?

This is what it looks like at the moment. Anybody want to chip in and help me out?

- Russia / USSR - sol (don't really want to host this one)

- Silent Era - sol

- Animation - frbrown

It would be easier for me if I took September and October off from hosting since I'll be dealing with trying to set up the 2021 challenge schedule and managing all of the heated discussion that comes with that. And the heat has already started up. :o

Tentative Schedule for 2021 ChallengesShow
Saturday Sep 5 -- release challenge ideas thread and one or two other threads as I want feedback to altering the voting process this year

Saturday Sep 19 -- preliminary polls for challenge ideas

Saturday Sep 26 to Sunday October 11 -- voting period (and maybe less days than that)
Image Image Image

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 28th, 2020, 2:15 pm

cinephage wrote:
I don't see the point in this conversation.
The challenges are drastically switching from fun "film-watching in group" events into actual competitions, with hardcore players trying to fix up actual hurdles to make it harder for everyone. The reason for the soft rules from earlier was their inclusiveness. The people who would watch hundreds of films would not be affected by restrictions, and the people in the back didn't really care, as there is no stake to such challenges. There was room for all kind of playing and all kind of participants.

I can see that the majority of icm forumers seem to want this change, as participation never was this high before, but this is definitely not my approach to film-watching. I even read someone, a few posts above, who was considering hours of watching stuff they didn't actually want to watch, only to have a shot at winning a challenge, or taking time to "double check eligibility". I don't understand this hard approach on a hobby I indulge in for fun and enjoyment. Count me out.
This whole post kind of resonates with arguments against including TV episodes as well. More specifically, some have brought the idea that TV episodes are "easier" to watch, so people could just binge 300 episodes of South Park and win the challenge with zero intent to explore the medium. That's watching for the sake of counting and that's exactly what you seem to be denouncing the other side does.

In the end the issue is that we can't police whether people play competitive for the sake of or want to genuinely explore the medium/genre/country/period/whatever. It's on each one how they approach the challenge. My opinion about including TV (which has been wrongly labelled as wanting to ban TV, but I'm getting used :D) is that it should bring a similar conclusive/cohesive experience as movies. That's why instead of runtimes I prefer seasons, cours or even arcs. I would also count myself entire miniseries and OVAs with 2-6 episodes as one entry. And then there's me personally not wanting to watch TV for the challenge, but that is my choice.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm

I'll start the Animation Challenge thread this weekend - with 40/60 rules for everything.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 28th, 2020, 2:28 pm

It could also be argued that American animation is easier to watch, because you don't have to read subs. For example, The Tatami Galaxy has very fast Japanese dialogue, and if you're not a fast reader, it might take you 30-35 minutes to watch a 23-minute episode. But I think the most fair thing to do is to stop overgeneralizing.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 2:31 pm

I have never had any interest whatsoever in the competitive element of challenges. In fact, even the "challenge" name seems kind of odd to me. I always look at it as a good opportunity to watch films from a certain country or genre at the same time as others and see other people's opinions on those films. I should say that I rarely post in challenge threads because they don't generally interest me so obviously my opinion on this isn't as important as people who do post in those threads. My main issue with challenge threads, is people posting lists of films with no ratings or comments whatsoever. I don't understand the point of that. I like reading posts and at least seeing a rating so I can see what people thought of films. If it's just a long list of films with no ratings or comments then I'm not really sure what the user is getting out of making that post.

Regarding Cinepaghe's post, I suppose if people do care about the competitive element then the argument is about people watching TV only so they can "win" the challenge rather than because they want to do fun film-watching in a group. It's really hard for me to relate to any of this debate, though, as I can't understand the competitive element of it and I honestly never realised people cared about the competitive side even though the name is "challenges". I'm very out of the loop on this as I rarely post in challenges so I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this post.

I'm happy for people to post whatever they want in challenge threads and treat the threads as competitive or only for fun but just saying my personal opinion on it as someone who has no interest in the competitive side to the point that I can't really comprehend it being a competition at all.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 28th, 2020, 2:38 pm

SpoilerShow
sol wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:06 pm
cinephage wrote:
I even read someone, a few posts above, who was considering hours of watching stuff they didn't actually want to watch, only to have a shot at winning a challenge, or taking time to "double check eligibility". I don't understand this hard approach on a hobby I indulge in for fun and enjoyment. Count me out.
:think:
I am not interested in winning any of the remaining 2020 Challenges, however, I am interested in doing well in each of the Challenges. Why is that? Maxwelldeux came up with this great thing called the Challenge Olympics, which rewards active participation in a challenge even without winning it. So I want to do well. I don't want to win. As for watching stuff that I didn't want to watch, I definitely never said that. I did mention upthread that I had lined up a whole bunch of feature length animated films in my blind. I was initially my plan to merely cruise through these during September, however, with the unlevel playing field that rewards participants who indulge in TV more than those who indulge in movies, I am switching my priorities. There are definitely some animated films that I WILL watch in September, but I am going to re-prioritise some of the animated TV shows on Netflix that I have decent IMDb ratings that I have never seen. Usually these would be super-low priority for me, but with a system that is going to make it difficult for me to score well in the Challenges Olympics without making them more of a priority, it is an easy change of mind.

I never said that I had no time to check the eligibility of what I have watched. What I said is that if I end up hosting the USSR/Russia Challenge, I will not copy and paste every title into IMDb that all participants list (in order to check if they are really eligible) which is what I have had to do with the current German Etc Challenge with some of the strange things that blueboybob has tried to include. Honestly it's not a big deal, but I would prefer to have the spare time to check this stuff as challenge host. And I won't have the time to do so if I'm also investing in the Setting Up the 2021 Challenge Schedule threads. That's all.
My feeling is you should watch what you feel like watching, rather than reprioritise whatever production because of these games' rules. The purpose of such games should be conviviality, sharing watches, encouraging others, discussing movies or cinema movements not downgrading other people's watches because they are TV or don't have the full pedigree. Who cares whether I'm 24th or 27th in such a challenge, really ? I often forget to fill my part, and I'm sure others do as well, this is just a game. Don't take away the fun of the challenges by addressing them too seriously, please.

The same goes with the eligibility, it's nice to check, but would that be a drama if blueboybob won with 185 watches rather than 183 (I'm sure he'll do better than that anyway) ? I feel this is becoming too serious for idle movie watchers, and I regret this orientation. Olympics was a term used with a certain humorous tone, but this feels not that humorous, really, when the change of one rule should reorganize your whole planning for the upcoming month.
Last edited by cinephage on August 28th, 2020, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 28th, 2020, 2:41 pm

I don't expect to win the animation challenge, but it's fun to post in the same thread as other people, so I can see what people are watching, and they can see what I'm watching, and maybe make comments or ask questions about those watches.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Another take from me (again as someone who doesn't take part in challenges often and doesn't care about winning them...so take my views with a pinch of salt).

I personally think the emphasis should not be on "winning" challenges based on how many films/shorts/whatever you've watched that month. Someone posting a list of 150 films they've seen with no ratings and comments is kind of meaningless to me.

Blocho one time mentioned an idea about more fun awards. Things like best review. There could be lots of others too. A reward for recommending a film you watched that month that 2 or 3 other people watched and liked. I'm not very creative so others will probably think of better ideas but I'd love to see awards based on writing reviews, making recommendations or more fun things in general. Even watching your first film by a certain director. I think the goal of challenges should be about discovering things or just having fun watching films and the competitive element with arguments over people watching TV to win, what qualifies for a challenge etc. takes away from the point of them in the first place. For me, the point has always been to watch stuff for fun/to discover new films. Long lists of titles with nothing else makes it boring to me.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 2:46 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:41 pm
I don't expect to win the animation challenge, but it's fun to post in the same thread as other people, so I can see what people are watching, and they can see what I'm watching, and maybe make comments or ask questions about those watches.
Yes, and I like that too. I think it's about watching similar films at the same time as others and sharing opinions, recommendations etc. That for me should be the point which is why I don't really understand the idea of just posting 100 films you've seen without any comment or rating. It's pretty much alien to me.

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 28th, 2020, 2:51 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Blocho one time mentioned an idea about more fun awards. Things like best review. There could be lots of others too. A reward for recommending a film you watched that month that 2 or 3 other people watched and liked. I'm not very creative so others will probably think of better ideas but I'd love to see awards based on writing reviews, making recommendations or more fun things in general. Even watching your first film by a certain director. I think the goal of challenges should be about discovering things or just having fun watching films and the competitive element with arguments over people watching TV to win, what qualifies for a challenge etc. takes away from the point of them in the first place. For me, the point has always been to watch stuff for fun/to discover new films. Long lists of titles with nothing else makes it boring to me.
These are all excellent ideas. I also liked the idea of making and following recommendations in the doubling the canon challenge. It makes challenges more interactive.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 2:55 pm

I also want to post something to defend Sol here as I think this is turning into a bit of an argument now.

I think Cinehpage is interpreting Sol's post as him saying: I want TV episodes excluded so I have a better chance of winning the challenge.
In reality, Sol means: Some people want TV episodes included ONLY so they can win the challenge not because they care about watching the episodes.

Of course, the reality is that some people want to watch TV episodes just because that's what they want to watch, not because of the challenge whereas some people might want to watch TV episodes just to "win".

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 3:05 pm

cinephage wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:38 pm
My feeling is you should watch what you feel like watching, rather than reprioritise whatever production because of these games' rules. The purpose of such games should be conviviality, sharing watches, encouraging others, discussing movies or cinema movements
That's my feeling too, actually. And believe it or not, I'm one of very few (less than 5) regular Challenge participants who writes reviews and provides screenshots/images for every single film that I watch for an Official Challenge, so the discussion thing is definitely very close to my heart.

Trouble is, I have always traditionally had a terrible time working out and organising what to view. The Challenge Series has been great for me because it gives order and purpose to my movie viewings. There's no more of me spending 45 minutes working out what to watch; I am able to have pre-organised lists of things at my fingertips. So, I obviously care quite a bit about the Challenge Olympics; yes, it doesn't really matter that much if I'm 8th or 12th, but I want to have something to strive towards. It keeps me focused, on-track and organised. So, I don't think reorganising my priorities is really that big of a problem. It keeps me motivated as a watcher.
cinephage wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:38 pm
The same goes with the eligibility, it's nice to check, but would that be a drama
I don't know. I kind of feel that as a good Challenge host, one would have time to oversee what others are watching and give advice about what best fits the spirit of the Challenge. But yes, it's not essential.
Image Image Image

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » August 28th, 2020, 3:12 pm

frbrown wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm
I'll start the Animation Challenge thread this weekend - with 40/60 rules for everything.
:cheers: Thank you, I'm perfectly fine with it, and wouldn't change a thing; if someone wants to watch all seasons of 'My Little Pony 'n Friends', it's their choice of suffering (pleasure?).
cinephage wrote:My feeling is you should watch what you feel like watching, rather than reprioritise whatever production because of these games' rules. The purpose of such games should be conviviality, sharing watches, encouraging others, discussing movies or cinema movements not downgrading other people's watches because they are TV or don't have the full pedigree. Who cares whether I'm 24th or 27th in such a challenge, really ? I often forget to fill my part, and I'm sure others do as well, this is just a game. Don't take away the fun of the challenges by addressing them too seriously, please.

Thank you, it should be posted at the beginning of all "challenges". :cheers:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 3:13 pm

frbrown wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm
I'll start the Animation Challenge thread this weekend
Thanks, frbrown. And I guess I'll start threads for both the Silent Era AND Russian/Soviet Challenges on Sunday evening since everybody else is too busy talking episode eligibility to volunteer as a September host. :blink: :shrug:
Image Image Image

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 28th, 2020, 3:18 pm

I would like if some official challenges didn't have numbering of watches, and therefore no leaderboards. I think this simple change alone could create more discussion.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:18 pm
I would like if some official challenges didn't have numbering of watches, and therefore no leaderboards. I think this simple change alone could create more discussion.
+1

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 28th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Sol, I do enjoy your hosting, and defintely love your reviews. I'm sorry if my posts' tone may have seemed too harsh. As english is not my first language, I usually get myself understood, but may use a term that could be too strong or too involuntarily blunt. I meant your commitment as a host is a wonderful thing, but should not be imposed on someone else if they would want to host one time. Each should be allowed to participate at the level they are comfortable with, even though it is not as big an investment as yours.

I just try to plead for a balanced approach to the challenges, that could include idle movie watchers, such as myself or Adamh, and more committed ones. Too strict rules could discourage people to join up, which would be a shame, as, like mjf314 said "it's fun to post in the same thread as other people, so I can see what people are watching, and they can see what I'm watching, and maybe make comments or ask questions about those watches."
I don't feel anyone tried to misuse the challenge rules to win it, or cheated, or anything of the sort. Goodwill has always been the prime, unwritten, law here, a rule that I feel everyone has always followed. That's why I feel we want to balance the need to keep a sort of competition for those who enjoy that aspect, as well as an eay to access game, for the others, who mostly join in to participate.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Not sure if anyone else can relate to this but, as someone with no interest in the competitive element, I get really put off by having to post a numbered list of films with spoiler tags with all previous watches in every single post I make.

It's literally why I haven't posted in the <400 checks thread for days. I just want to come on and post what I've watched with a rating/brief comment on the film and having to find my previous post and copy and paste spoiler tags etc. 100% stops me posting in the threads sometimes. Might not seem like a big deal to others but it's hard having to go back a couple of pages and find your previous post or go on your profile and find it and keep copying and pasting so I just haven't bothered for days whereas I would have posted if I was allowed to just go on straight after watching and post my opinion.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 3:38 pm

On DVDTalk, we have a list thread where everyone has a post which they update for their own list, and a discussion thread where people actually talk about stuff. We could maybe try something like that.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 3:41 pm

mightysparks wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:38 pm
On DVDTalk, we have a list thread where everyone has a post which they update for their own list, and a discussion thread where people actually talk about stuff. We could maybe try something like that.
I like the idea. I have a feeling we talked about it years ago at the start of challenges being introduced to the forum? I suppose the concern would be that one thread ends up being empty or it creates more work for people like Sol having to update their list on one thread and having to post a review on another. I suppose if it works on DVDTalk, it could work here.

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 28th, 2020, 4:05 pm

mightysparks wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:38 pm
This here as well. I think most people are not encouraged to post lengthy reviews/thoughts because there is no reciprocity in challenge threads. Another parallel thread for discussion would be a great addition.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Yeh on DVDTalk it means people who don’t want to discuss don’t have to and all the lists are available to those who want it. Would make scoring slightly easier too as they’d all be in one place. Generally people put links to their list in their sig for easy viewing. There is lots of discussion during the horror challenge, usually they use up the max posts in a thread and have to create a new thread :lol:

And yea I suggested it at the start because that’s what I was used to, can’t remember why we decided against it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 28th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Can anyone post a link to a DVDTalk challenge? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm

How does this differ from the Film logs that we already have on ICM ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4734&view=unread#unread

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Not sure if you have to be logged in but this a link to the list thread (my post, but scroll up to the first one for more): https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6485 ... st13601713

Note does not look good on phone

Also they had to switch forum hosts at some point and some formatting is messed up but you get the basic idea

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 4:27 pm

cinephage wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm
How does this differ from the Film logs that we already have on ICM ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4734&view=unread#unread
They have nothing to do with challenges. But yeah, similar thing just a different log for each challenges

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 28th, 2020, 4:28 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:46 pm
mjf314 wrote:
Yes, and I like that too. I think it's about watching similar films at the same time as others and sharing opinions, recommendations etc. That for me should be the point
I pretty much agree with these points, then again I participate more in the threads than I participate in the "challenge" part. Like you, I don't really get the competitive element, not in the least because there's absolutely nothing to win/gain from these ranks (apart for some bragging rights on ICM maybe, but even that I haven't really encountered).

I'm all for changes that will encourage the social aspect of these challenges, though I don't think that should be at the cost of those who do like the competitive aspect of the challenges. Clearly it inspires people to watch films or makes it easier to prioritize films, and while I don't care for the posts that simply list titles, in the end they're also easy enough to skip.

What I don't care for though is to read discussions/reviews about Ren & Stimpy, Naruto, BoJack Horseman or Spongebob episodes :shrug: I guess it's fine if it's just one or two people bundled in fewer posts, but when I see someone like sol would reprioritize his entire schedule to move from primarily films to primarily series, then it actively takes away from the discussion about film.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Yes, agreed Onderhond. I don't mean to discourage anyone from posting in challenge threads. I think everyone should be able to participate however they like just saying my personal preference for posts and certainly encouraging discussion is my top priority. I'd also really like for people who post lists to add a rating to the films or even one tiny comment but that's up to them. I am always slightly disappointed if I see a list of films posted that includes something I've seen and I can't tell anything about the user's opinion on the film.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » August 28th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Hey sol, I can host the silent era challenge to relieve you of some of the hosting duties since that's the one I'll be participating in. If that's okay with you, I'll start the thread in the next two days. No idea if I'll have time for stats or some fancy stuff, though.
ICM
September Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 28th, 2020, 6:08 pm

mightysparks wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:44 pm
I'm not participating but I think updating the shorts/TV rules to 90 minutes in general is a nice idea. I like being able to include shorts and TV in challenges (even though I don't really do it), but 60 mins does seem a bit generous now.
I would honestly be ok with this if any change at all is made. At least it's then consistent to manage shorts and TV the same and not have to worry about it. Otherwise I could see getting confused over something like Joe Pera Talks You To Sleep which aired as a TV special but is tied to an on-going TV series. Is it a short or a TV episode? It's kinda both, and with most challenges having the same minute total for shorts and TV, it wouldn't matter.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » August 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:35 pm
Not sure if anyone else can relate to this but, as someone with no interest in the competitive element, I get really put off by having to post a numbered list of films with spoiler tags with all previous watches in every single post I make.

It's literally why I haven't posted in the <400 checks thread for days. I just want to come on and post what I've watched with a rating/brief comment on the film and having to find my previous post and copy and paste spoiler tags etc. 100% stops me posting in the threads sometimes. Might not seem like a big deal to others but it's hard having to go back a couple of pages and find your previous post or go on your profile and find it and keep copying and pasting so I just haven't bothered for days whereas I would have posted if I was allowed to just go on straight after watching and post my opinion.
I just have a text file on the PC desktop I use that has the films, spoiler tags etc.

I update the text file with the new additions, then copy the contents into my post.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 28th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:28 pm
AdamH wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:46 pm
mjf314 wrote:
Yes, and I like that too. I think it's about watching similar films at the same time as others and sharing opinions, recommendations etc. That for me should be the point
I pretty much agree with these points, then again I participate more in the threads than I participate in the "challenge" part. Like you, I don't really get the competitive element, not in the least because there's absolutely nothing to win/gain from these ranks (apart for some bragging rights on ICM maybe, but even that I haven't really encountered).
I usually try to have some kind of write-up on what I'm watching (although this month has been spotty after my Run the Director burnout). And as crazy as it sounds looking at my watch totals, I actually don't really do the challenges for the competitiveness of it. It's more to give me a focus on types of films to watch since I physically own over 14k movies and have another 10+TB of movies on my media server. Without challenges, I'd find myself in analysis paralysis all the time figuring out what to watch.
I'm all for changes that will encourage the social aspect of these challenges, though I don't think that should be at the cost of those who do like the competitive aspect of the challenges. Clearly it inspires people to watch films or makes it easier to prioritize films, and while I don't care for the posts that simply list titles, in the end they're also easy enough to skip.

What I don't care for though is to read discussions/reviews about Ren & Stimpy, Naruto, BoJack Horseman or Spongebob episodes :shrug: I guess it's fine if it's just one or two people bundled in fewer posts, but when I see someone like sol would reprioritize his entire schedule to move from primarily films to primarily series, then it actively takes away from the discussion about film.
I would be really shocked if there was an overabundance of people writing paragraph reviews of Naruto episodes. Like I said looking at the past couple challenges, I really didn't see much of an abuse of TV. Personally I usually don't even usually log individual episodes of things I watch even if they apply to the challenge (unless I'm just short of the cut-off for a point with a group of shorts or something) just cuz I don't see the point in it. Feels like clutter and like I said, I'm not really that competitive about it. Typically when I do watch TV, I'll watch a whole series or season at once and basically treat it like a really long movie and give it a write-up accordingly, not logging individual episodes. There are lots of animated series that are 12 or 13 episodes and done, telling one whole story and playing much more like a mini-series than an episodic TV series. Series like Serial Experiments Lain, Erased, Paranoia Agent, Baccano, etc. are all stand-alone short series that tell a complete story and are in fact significantly shorter than many "mini-series" like Heimat, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Hitler: Film from Germany, The World at War and others that have never gotten any kind of derision from any of these challenges.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 28th, 2020, 6:22 pm

zuma wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm
AdamH wrote:

I just have a text file on the PC desktop I use that has the films, spoiler tags etc.

I update the text file with the new additions, then copy the contents into my post.
I actually just go to my previous post and quote it, then delete the open and closing quote tags.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » August 28th, 2020, 6:24 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 6:22 pm
zuma wrote:
AdamH wrote:

I actually just go to my previous post and quote it, then delete the open and closing quote tags.
Sure that works too. But on something like 500<400 with a lot of posts I don't want to be searching for my last entry

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm

zuma wrote:
AdamH wrote:

Good idea, thanks.